Remission Review

9.3
 9.7
 8.8
Remission Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 19, 2006

Sound: This is now one of my favourite bands, and this would have to be the best CD. I love Leviathan, but this has some killer tracks that just can't be ignored. I hear people say how they're so weird and they're not worth listening to, but that's what this world needs, new unique metal. Not the same faggots whining about being dumped by their girlfriends. Some of the tracks sound too staticy and not refined enough, and some of the vocals can be a bit too rough, but overall this is a work of art. You can hear the metalness in every track. My favourites have to be "Mother Puncher", that delivers one of the best harmonic intros I've ever heard, to "Workhorse", a brutal anthem for anyone who's worked a day in their life and knows how much it sucks. And "March of the Fire Ants", which was the first single from this album and one of the best heavy tracks on this disc. The sound varies from heavy songs like those, to slower, softer ones like Trainwreck and O'le Nessie. // 9

Lyrics: Mastodon's lyrics, while baffling, are unique and captivating. They get you thinking and pull you in. Brent and Troy work like a 2 man army, beating you down with their crunching growls and primal yells. What makes them so cool is they're unlike most vocalists, they don't have raw singing talent but they can still sound menacing and aren't bad to listen to. Some of the songs, like Workhorse, you can really relate to, while others, like Burning Man and Trilobite, may make no sense at all. // 9

Overall Impression: My overall impression is I'm blown away by this awesome band that should be way more popular. This cd quite compares to Leviathan, which I believe has better vocal tracks, but this is definately the heavier of the equation. I wasn't always a fan of Mastodon, but once I heard them, I was hooked. I've gotten all 3 CDs so far, and I can't wait to hear their next. Go pick this up, I would definately buy it twice, it's well worth it. // 10

Remission Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 23, 2004

Sound: This is one of the best cds I own. Mastodon is unlike any band I've heard. The music is an excellent blend of metal, hardcore, and stoner rock, making it hard to categorize Mastodon. If you have heard this cd, you know what I am talking about. The accompanying 9-song live dvd is also excellent. It shows the Atlanta based band in action. I must say I cannot wait for the follow up to this record. The drummer has a shit load of energy and shows it on every minute of every song on here, from the heavy "Crusher Destroyer," to the fast-paced "Burning Man," to the last song "Emerald" (which is a Thin Lizzy cover). Definitely worth the money spent on this record. // 10

Lyrics: None of the songs on this album really have a lot of lyrics. The last half of alot of the songs are just the band showing off it's music talent. The way the vocalist sings goes great with the brutality of the music. The actual lyrics are great too. You can really see the amount of emotion the singer puts into the songs on the dvd. The singer is one of the greatest singers of metal today, and I wouldn't think twice about going to see Mastodon live. // 10

Overall Impression: This album blew me away. I listen to it all the time, and it never ceases to amaze me. The guitar riffs are excellent and unparalled by most of the nu-metal and pop-punk shit thats out there today. The bass lines are fucking great also, as is the drumming. The drummer is furious and shows his talent throughout the whole cd, never letting up for a second. If I lost this cd, which better not happen, I wouldnt hesitate to buy it again. for those of you that burned a copy of this cd, go buy it. If not for the fact you basically stole it, do it for the 9 song live dvd that comes with it. // 10

More Mastodon reviews rating latest review
+ Once More 'Round The Sun 7 06/24/2014