Decomposer Review

matches: Decomposer
Release Date: Sep 12, 2006
Label: Epitaph/Ada
Genres: Punk-Pop, Indie Rock
With Decomposer they've managed to mix fun with ambition to wind up with a particularly distinctive and creative album to be proud of.
 Lyrics: 7.8
 8.2
 8.2
 8.1
Decomposer Reviewed by: _RockOnForever_, on september 21, 2006

Sound: "Decomposer" is the Matches second, long-awaited full length album. Their first album, "E. Von Dahl Killed The Locals," was a brilliant array of fun pop punk. "Decomposer" however moves away from that playful-like attitude and focuses more on developed song structure and lyrics, basically, more "mature." Although many were expecting the same fun, poppy kind of sound as on E. Von Dahl, these individuals will most likely be disappointed with the Matches' change in sound. The abundance of catchy riffs and licks of E. Von Dahl (The Restless, Eryn Smith, More Than Local Boys) has a great lack in "Decomposer." There is noticably less distortion and less screaming, an area vocalists Shawn Harris, Justin San Souci, and Jon Devoto seem to do well in. // 7

Lyrics: The lyrics are more developed and mature as well, no longer focusing on teenage years and young musicians starting out as a band, possibly the most emphasized aspect of the new album. Most of the lyrics off "Decomposer" express the band's coming onto the big scene stage. Lead singer Shawn Harris' voice adds more dynamic as in E. Von Dahl by ranging from low tones to higher pitched tones, keeping the same vocal style as their debut album. // 8

Overall Impression: The most impressive songs I found on "Decomposer" were Salty Eyes, Papercut Skin, Sunburn Vs. The Rhinovirus, and Didi (My Doe, Part 2). Although many, many fans of the first album may become disappointed with this album, the Matches new sound on "Decomposer" is at least worth a listen. Maybe you could "Wake as E. Von Dahl in a twist of fate" and end up enjoying the direction the Matches and, of course, you are going. // 8

Decomposer Reviewed by: Confusedtheday, on september 13, 2006

Sound: On their last Album, E. Von Dahl Killed The Locals, The Matches had more of a up-beat pop-punk sound with the occasioanal slow song. Decomposer is filled with more techno-istic sounds, but on some tracks they revert to good 'ol Matches.Mark Hoppus, and John Feldmann both were producers, who you think would add a pop-punk flare, which they sorta did. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics are emotional, but not too emotional. The way Shawn sings them is in a very quick tempo, hard to hear way. Shawn feeds off his backups Jon and Justin, respectivley. You have songs such as "Little Maggots", obviously about growing up, but then you have "Papercut Skin" which is about day-after-day (with a Myspace Romance). So it's the normal teenage music. // 9

Overall Impression: This album fits in with all of the other pop-punk/emo-pop albums, but The Matches music diversity make it better to listen to. The song I like the most is You (Don't) Know Me. I like the lyrical flow and the guitaring in the song. What I like the most is the upbeat-ness on the songs that are upbeat. What I dislike are the other musical sounds that sound like tehcno, if I wanna hear techno, I'll goto a rave, but I don't wanna hear techno. If this album were lost or stolen, I would buy it again, but maybe not play it/listen as much. // 8

Decomposer Reviewed by: mka12992, on september 18, 2006

Sound: This album had a sound completely different from their last album and I have to say it may actually be better than the first. It was completely different than what I expected. They focused the titles on this mainly like mangled or hurt body parts (therefore the title Decomposer). The songs are great. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are more diverse and mature than on the first. Immeadiately you may notice that they focused less on girls and friends and more on society (at least that's what I get from the lyrics). Shawn Harris is one of my 3 favorite singers up there with Sonny Moore and Jonathon Davis. // 10

Overall Impression: This one is as good if not better when compared to E. Von Dahl killed the Locals. My favorite songs are Papercut skin, salty eyes, drive, little maggots and sunburn vs. the rhinovirus, but they all are amazing. I love how it kept you interested and had deeper meaning than the first my only small issue is the length of it I wanted more which isn't always bad. If this were lost I'd buy it again and would never srtop if it were stolen over again. // 10

Decomposer Reviewed by: Revalk, on december 21, 2006

Sound: The Matches new offering comes forth with originality, great harmonies, heavy riffs, and most notably, some of the catchiest vocals I've heard in awhile from new material (not that the matches are that new, they've been playing big shows for a few years, and this is their second album). These guys are out of Cali, but before knowing this, I was convinced they were straight out of the UK. They've got sounds that feel like the Cure, the Beatles, and occasionally some Bowie vocals. This album sports of serious production, featuring the likes of Rancid's Tim Armstrong, Blink's Mark Hoppus, 311's Nick Hexum, and Epitaph founder Brett Gurewitz. Overall, this album has a great sound. Catchy, interesting, innovative, it's all there. // 10

Lyrics: I listened to this album once, and I was singing the songs to myself an hour later and getting most of the words. Most of the lyrics going on in this album aren't crazy deep or ingenious, but they are memorable, fit so very well, and simply create the essense of what a good rock album can be, simple, but fun. Shawn Harris does an excellent job overall with the vocals. He goes for some wild hooks and loops, but every note rings true. Despite this, there are still some pretty smoothe, wonderful undertones and harmonies going on. Everybody but the drummer in this band sings, and the overall chorus of voices coming out of this album is beautiful. // 8

Overall Impression: As far as rock albums go right now, this album overshot most other albums I've listened to recently, particularly for new blood and only a sophomore album. There is a lot of generic rock coming out of the music industry right now, but this album took some risks and made some really interesting tracks. The most notable songs would probably be Salty Eyes, creating a great sort of circus-like feel with some great melodic vocals and particularly good lyrics, Papercut Skin, throwing a fast beat catchy pop smash at you that's just plain fun, and You Don't Know Me, with is almost like a free jam with some truly unique vocals all over the place and ambient guitars. Overall, this albums definately worth the buy, and I urge you to check it out any way you can. // 9

Decomposer Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 10, 2007

Sound: The first tracks I ever heard by the matches were from their somewhat amateur album E.Von Dahl killed the vocals. Don't get me wrong, it's a very impressive CD for a relatively new band. However, when I bought there new CD 'Decomposer' I was rather surprised. This is a quite different sound from the band, a very experimental and interesting album. I haven't quite heard anything like this, it's a mix of drum machines and violins, with the vocals of Shawn Harris stretched over it. I really do think that his voice is a very unusual and exciting. When I saw the Matches live, I was drawn by the live performance he gave, he made the band incredible live! The gutiar on this record is very solo-ey, if that makes sense. There are very few chords used in the songs, as if it's a constant improvisation from Devoto, and it is. It's the kind of album with not a single song which any band would be able to cover. This album sounds quite indie, but obviously isn't because of where the Matches came from. I basically recommend it, I was very pleasantly surprised, as it flew the band immediately from a sort of mix of punk pop and emo to an eclectic new sound. Buy it! // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics aren't the strong point of the album, they seem very irrelevant and not about anything in particular. For instance "We know about sex" repeated about three times isn't exactly great writing. It doesn't really put me off though, becuase the musical skill is so great, but the lyrics really just seem a jumble of nice little phrases, that don't really come together as well as they could. If I were to edit this album myself, I would improve the lyrics, definetely. The singing goes very well with the music, Harris can reach different pitches very easily and seems to act out the lyrics in his voice, but I don't really think they improve the lyrics. // 4

Overall Impression: I think this compares very well to what's out at the moment, it's very unusual, I've definetely never heard any band sounding remotely like the Matches in this album, not the first one. The most impressive songs are definetely "Salty Eyes", "Papercut skins" (oh stop with the adjectives), "What Katie Said" and "Didi, My Doe Part 2". These are definetely the high points of the album. Not all the songs are as good as this, but I think the overall sound is great. The point of this review is to sort of promote the band. They are embarassingly unknown, and yet everyone knows who they are. For instance if you type them in on google, few things come up. Check them out, and go take a listen. And if you like the album go see them live, I don't even like them that much, but I can safely say that they are probably one of the five best bands I have ever seen live, Shawn Harris is like a musical actor! // 6

More Matches reviews rating latest review
+ The Matches Album 4, Unreleased; Graphics? Title? Or Not Needed? 8.3 08/13/2009
+ A Band In Hope 8.6 03/21/2008