Avalanche Review

8.9
 9.8
reviews (4) 1 comment vote for this album:
Avalanche Reviewed by: starbomb13, on july 08, 2004

Sound: The sound of this album seems very clever and well-arranged. The pianos, strings, drums or whatever instrument comes in at the right time in every song to create some beautiful music. The sound actually creates an image in your head that goes along with Matt's singing. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics from this album, just like every Matt Good band album is very thought provoking and sincere. His lyrics are questioning and very open-minded. My favourite lyrics from this album is in the song "21st Century Living", where besides the chorus-he's talking and asking questions about ambition and supersizing and it's amazing how he connects them both while basically giving a summary of his perspective of our society today. // 10

Overall Impression: This is Matt Good's first solo album. It has some elements of what he did in the Matt Good band but it sounds like it's more of his own. I'm actually really impressed with his work in 'avalanche'. He created and arranged all the strings, created the guitars, percussion, pianos, keyboards, and wrote all the lyrics and combined them all together to create some damn good music to listen to most likely when you're driving late at night with no one in the car or when you're just lying in bed with headphones on. // 10

Avalanche Reviewed by: unregistered, on september 13, 2004

Sound: The sound that this album creates is superb. This album has a unique, orchestral, full sound that hasn't been matched by any other album, including his most recent one, White Light Rock And Roll Review. It seems amazing to me that he created this entire album in only three short monthes. According to Good, he wanted everything to be "paramount." I guess I was just having an artistic break through. He makes full use of the Vancouver Symphony Orchestra and still manages to rock hard. And even if you don't love the riffs, you've got to love the tone that his lead guitarist has. His bassist is also very good (who really shines in his next album), and his drummer is not incredible, but perfect for Good's songs and very talented. // 10

Lyrics: Matthew Good is now making his transition from lyrics about sex (Hello Time Bomb, Suburbia, Let's Get it On) and simple micellaneous stories about people he find interesting (Jenni's Song, Failing the Rorschach Test) to political lyrics (Pledge of Allegiance, 21st Century Living, While we Were Hunting Rabbits, Near fantastica). That's not to say that he still doesn't right about other things, such as his life, (he has one fairly emo like song at the end called House of Smoke and Mirrors), and girls (Song For The Girl). 21st Century Living has such an odd sound to it, sometimes I feel that it relies completely on the lyrics, and its lyrics are angry and at many points witty. Many lines will stick in your head and give you shivers such as "we're all monkeys, in a long line of kings." Matthew Good is the master at doing that, and that's why I live his music so much. // 10

Overall Impression: Sorry to just be giving out another perfect review, but this album compares with no other (including any MGB albums), and I believe everyone should experience it. The most incredible songs are Lullaby for The New World Order, While We Were Hunting Rabbits, Bright End of Nowhere, and Avalanche. I can't really pick a favourite, House of Smoke & Mirrors is incredible too. To be blunt, the only really weak song is 21st Century Living, and even that one has merit once you've really given it a chance. This sound isn't for everyone, because many Matt Good fans of the past may miss the "rock hard" sound, and they should try his new album. But for people who can appreciate unique, full sounding music, with incredible lyrics, Avalanche is definitely worth a listen. // 10

Avalanche Reviewed by: fox69, on november 21, 2005

Sound: This was a different sound for me. I was expecting it to sound a lot like he did wen he had that band, but it wasn't what I expected. Matt has definetly toned down a bit but it's not neccessarly for the worst. I'm still kind of undiecided wether I'm a big fan or not tho. // 7

Lyrics: His lyrics do have a lot of meaning in this album, that's for sure. He sings alot about how us humans are pretty screwed up and stuff like war. He's not really political, but more anti-war I guess. His songs are well written for sure, but the don't always make sense like in "Avalanche" when he keeps sayin' "One foot in front of the other" and about hunting rabbits, but it's alrite. // 7

Overall Impression: Overall this is not for a harder rocker, but its basically a soft rock album you would mellow out to I guess. The asongs are talented and I think Matt is way underrated 'cause he has a lot of talent, its just not mainstream. Some good songs are "Weapon," "World Called Catastrophe," 21st Century Living" and "House Of Smoke And Mirrors." It's an alrite album and if your a soft rock fan you'll like it. Iprobably wouldn't buy it again however. // 7

Avalanche Reviewed by: nathanma93, on april 12, 2006

Sound: Before I go on, I must clear one thing up. I was a huge Matthew Good Band fan, and had all their CD's. Matthew Good realeased this stellar debut solo album in 2003 with marginal sales success compared to his efforts with the band. This 13 track outfit has quite a few good songs, including the singles "Weapon," "In A World Called Catastrophe" and "Pledge Of Allegiance." Though some tracks in this CD are an acquired taste, most casual listeners will find this is a enjoyable disk. Matthew Good used a unique approach to some songs in this album. He has the Vancouver Symphony Orchestra on backup for a few of the tracks. // 8

Lyrics: Matthew Good has once again established himself as the cutting edge writer of the 21st century. He uses unique and eclectic words to take his music to another dimension. Though on "Double Life" he makes a lacklustre effort, The overall impression of this CD lyrics wise is Excellent! // 9

Overall Impression: My overall impression of this album was great! The most impressive songs in the album is "Pledge Of Allegiance," "Lullaby For The New World Order" and "21st Century Living." I love the Vancouver Orchestra in the songs, in my opinion bringing something completely unique on the table. On the downside though, I thought there were 3 pretty weak efforts on the sound and lyrics department. If it were lost, I would definetely buy anoter copy. Matthew Good is a excellent talent, and it would be a shame if he stopped recording albums due to poor record sales. Please! support him and buy "Avalanche." I'm sure you wont regret it. // 9

More Matthew Good reviews rating latest review