A Lesson In Romantics Review

mayday parade: A Lesson In Romantics
Release Date: Jul 10, 2007
Label: Fearless
Genres: Emo
Their debut delivers twelve radio ready pop tunes, including a re-recorded version of "When I Get Home, You're So Dead" and the MySpace tested single "Black Cat".
 Lyrics: 9.6
 9.3
 9.3
 9.2
A Lesson In Romantics Reviewed by: RainBeforeDawn5, on august 08, 2007

Sound: Mayday Parade is a band that is known to their fans, actaully the entire music industry alike, to be something different then current mainstream pop/punk bands. They bring to the table not one, not two, but three lead singers. A feat that is very hard indeed. Mayday Parade knows how to go from straight up rock your face off (without ever going down that all too familiar road of emo/screamo) too a more slow, mello, almost haunting ballad or just a laid back, fun song. Mayday Parade never stops surprising it's listener around every single turn. Every song must be listened to in it's entirety to truly get the full benefit. A good example of this can be found in the final mezmerizing ballad of the cd, aptly named, "You be the Anchor That Keeps My Feet on the Ground, I'll Be the Wings That Keep your Heart in the Clouds." This song ending in probably the most beautiful epic round in musical history while their second singer and bass player Jeremy Lenzo repeating "Please Don't wake me up" over and over in a beautiful repetition of musical perfection. // 8

Lyrics: This is where I give the ten to this album. After many different listens to this CD on as many occasions as possible, I have yet to find a flaw in the lyrical and singing masterpiece. All of the lyrics would seem immature due to the constant subject of an Ex girlfriend, if they weren't wrapped in fantastic and awe inspiring lyrics that truly make the listener think and agree with everything that they hear. The final ballad of the album (you know the name) is probably the only song on the album with more depth then a simple relationship, with lyrics speaking as if a letter to God "I'll be here by the ocean just waiting for proof that there's sunsets and silhoutte dreams/ and my sandcastles fall like the ashes of cigarretes/ as every wave drags me to sea." The main singer of the band is Derek Sanders, who has a very strong voice indeed, think Panic! at the Disco. Their second singer is their bass player, and my personal favorite Jeremy Lenzo who backs up Derek with some screams and a much deeper voice. He has a way of stealing the spotlight in their slow songs such as the amazing piano ballad titled "Miserable at Best" where he starts off singing to his wife "Katy don't cry/ I know you're trying your hardest/ and the hardest part is letting go" Their third singer is the drummer Jake Bundrick who has probably the most distinct and opposite of mainstream voice of the group. He shines when he sings the last verse of "Jamie All Over." Some lyrics on the album, however, prove that the band is around just for a good time, such as "Black Cat" where Derek's new found raspy voice screams "You're like a black cat with a black back-pack full of fireworks." // 10

Overall Impression: Mayday Parade has destroyed all expectations as they moved from their first immature EP titled "Tales Told By Dead Friends" into this masterpiece. While Derek takes over a little more of the vocals from Jeremy he manages to obtain frontman status. From the slow and beautiful ballads, "Miserable at Best", "Jersey", "I'd Hate To be You...", and "You be the Anchor", Mayday parade still finds a way to flourish beauty in their faster rock songs, "Jamie All Over", "Take this to Heart", and the awesome guitar song "Walk on Water or Drown". However their are some songs that seem like filler, those being "Champagne...", and "Ocean and Atlantic", where Derek proves that he is not meant to hold the vocals alone. This CD has stayed in my CD player for longer then any CD I have ever owned and I have no intention at all of removing it for the time being. Hardcore, emo, punk fans alike can all find solice in this CD as one of the greatest cds to come out in 2007. Nearly all songs on this CD (mainly "You be the Anchor..." and "I'd Hate to Be You") have brought many tears to my eye while driving. The good thing they are all tears of happiness. This CD brings a tear to your eye because the message of every song no matter how dark it is is hope and the future. They sure know how to steal the hearts of many teenagers and adults across the nation. I can't wait to see what Mayday Parade has in store for us in the future (hopefully more Jeremy). // 8

A Lesson In Romantics Reviewed by: saosin22533, on august 23, 2007

Sound: Mayday Parade's sound is great. They have a beautiful blend of their instruments and vocals. And with more than one person singing in the band. With songs like Black Cat and When I Get Home You're So Dead showing their more rock styled side and Miserable at Best showing a more emotional side. Mayday Parade's sound is simply amazing for a debut record and I can't to see what they will become. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics are nice and can be clever, but they're obviously not top-notch yet. But it's acceptable for a young band. They do blend in nicely with the instruments, which makes for more than just catchy songs. The vocalists of Mayday Parade go well together, and both have good voices for the style of music that they are playing (there aren't two lead singers, it's like Taking Back Sunday, 1997, The Hush Sound, or June in the fact that there's a lead singer and another memeber sings as well as plays). // 8

Overall Impression: A Lesson In Romantics could compare to an album like Tell All Your Friends by Taking Back Sunday in the idea that it's a great debut album (I'm not saying it's better, you can decide that). In my opinion I would have to say that When I Get Home, You're So Dead and Black Cat have the most potential to become singles and are the best songs. Jamie All Over and Miserable At Best are good songs as well. Overall this was an impressive album from Mayday Parade and I can't wait for more to come from them in the future. // 9

A Lesson In Romantics Reviewed by: soupman634, on september 20, 2007

Sound: Mayday PArade definately sets their own sound in the repetive whiney music industry. The harmony in the songs makes them impossible to get out of your head, in this case it is a good thing. I've been listening to the CD for about three weeks in a row and every time I hear each song I fall deeper and deeper in love with the upbeat and sometimes just plain beautiful instrumental. // 9

Lyrics: Two words describe the lyrics, heart felt. Honestly to some people they might not seem like the greatest lyrics but you can tell the singer(s) put time into each word and just sings each word from the heart, and that is truely the reason the CD is so amazing. Again the harmony and vocal trade offs give them a unique sound. The lyrics really reach out to anyone in the sense that anyone can relate wether it's "Jamie All Over" where you just have that one person on your mind but it will never work, or "Walk On Water Or Drown" where you have that one person who makes everything right. Perfect is all I have to say. // 10

Overall Impression: This is one of those CDs you can put in and just forget about every other CD you own for months. Every song is amazing. The most obvious to stick out are "Black Cat" and "When I Get Home". My personal favorite is "I'd Hate To Be You". The lyrics made me cry a little on that song and then the solo came in and me cry more because it was just perfect. Another song that sticks out to me is "Miserable At Best". It is amazing that they can go from a fun catchy "Black Cat" to such a powerful piano piece (if you don't cry or least feel sad during this song you have no heart). The only thing I can say about this CD that is bad is sometimes it's hard to understand the lyrics. This is one of the best cds of 07 as far as I'm concerned and would recomend to anyone who enjoys real music. // 9

A Lesson In Romantics Reviewed by: jmc5241, on march 23, 2009

Sound: Mayday Parade's sound could be described as melancholy, yet somehow upbeat at the same time. It makes you want to dance and cry at the same time. They have a song for every emotion. Every member is very skilled with their instruments. Unlike most pop-punk bands they have actual guitar solos. They go from a light, misery filled song appropriately titled Miserable At Best to a fast-paced heavier song Walk On Water or Drown. This album is every broken heart's theme song. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics match the songs, heart break, sadness, emotion-evoking. The singers have great voices and they'll have you singing along in no time. I guess a new trend is having multiple singers like bands Forever the Sickest Kids and Four Year Strong. The lead singers voice is the lighter, smoother of the two, and the bassist supplies the grittier rough vocals into a perfect blend of the two. // 10

Overall Impression: Mayday Parade definitely knows how to stand out from the rest of the emo/pop-punk pack. Every song is a hit that will be in your head for weeks. A must have. These guys are on their way to fame and are coming out with a new album soon too. If you like All Time Low or other bands like them, then this is your new favorite band. // 10

A Lesson In Romantics Reviewed by: bobbybliss, on april 23, 2009

Sound: Wow. The sound of Mayday Parade... Is unique in the best way possible. They are one of the only bands that I think can pull everything off. Mayday Parade can definatly express there emotion through music, and te sound. The band have came far from where they started, and every single step was worth it. It seems like for there debut full length that it would be kinda if'y but..that album was the best album I've heard in years. The sound makes yu want to listen to it for days and days. They are definatly creative, with everything they do. They know how to even out their sound by... Making the guitars in thier songs not to low or not to high. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are about the best lyrics any band I think could write. Derick Sanders and Jason Lancaster can definatly lead the band. But now with Jasn leading his band Go Radio, it seems as though the music to come from mayday parade might not be as good. But definatly still a 10/10. Derick and Jason from Mayday Parade both brought thier own aspect to the band. Derick brought the regular emotional voice into the band. And Jason brought the emotional verses and chorus to some of thier songs. Dericks and Jasons voices together were like the best voices that could go together. Like as example in "When I Get Home Your So Dead" towards the end of the song(2:04), Jason and Derick are both singing. And their voices go together perfect. it's hard to believe that they are both making a statement with thier lyrics in seperate ways, and at the same time. The singers are what makes Maydy Parade so unique, lyric wise. And they can make any thing sound good. And towards the end of the song of "I'll be the Wings that... " the emotion is basically exploding. Jason can pour his hear out into the lyrics. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall this album is a must have. If you don't have it, get it. th CD is a must have, cause the sound is great, the band is great. Everything is amazing. And the most impressive songs on the album I think are... Al of them... But a few that stick out in my head are "I'd Hate To Be You When People Find Out What This Song Is About" cause the guitar riff that opens the song into the first verse is amazing. And the solo in the song is so solid. And the song "Ocean and Atlantic" is amazing, especially the chorus. The chorus is the best. They have a unique way of putting things. And that's another thing that makes them so great. Mayday Parade can put things into perspective that other bands can't even touch. // 10

More Mayday Parade reviews rating latest review