Anywhere But Here Review

6.5
 5.8
 7.2
Anywhere But Here Reviewed by: danielbalcombe, on october 13, 2009

Sound: Mayday Parade are a Pop Punk band who were formed as somewhat of a local Tallahassee supergroup. After an EP (Tales Told By Dead Friends) and their Debut Album (A Lesson In Romantics) it was clear that they were not just your basic Pop Punk band. Everything was fine until the dreaded day when Jason Lancaster (Vocals/Guitar) the main song writing packing his bags and starting up his own band (Go Radio) and left Mayday to fend for themselves. To be honest I still had high hopes for Mayday cause Derek Sanders has such a strong voice but after hearing the cover of the pussycat dolls song... I love all faith. I brought the album Anywhere But Here of iTunes, living in hope and having faith that even without Jason they could produce some catchy melodies and songs... they tried, a valiant effort, but for me they are now just a typical generic pop punk band. The sound of Mayday on this album has lost what they had before... Mostly due to the loss of Jason's powerful vocals and beautiful lyrics. But that is enough about their Loss of Jason... let's get deeper into the album... // 6

Lyrics: Derek does have a great voice and he does impress on this album some more...he has too cause he is the only one singing on this album. Usually he would share the vocal duties with Jason but now his out on his own...he still goes alright. The lyrics are boring and generic to me.... On their earlier songs they had some really clever lines and some fresh and new metaphors... on this album it's all just the re used generic love song, break up lyrics that get way to old quickly. // 5

Overall Impression: Obviously I am still wallowing in the loss of Jason Lancaster from this band and the attempt of talent they have lost with his is more then evident. Does it compare to their other albums... No.. Impressive songs... none really jump out what do I hate bout this album... It could be a Forver the Sickest Kids Album and you wouldn't know... It's just generic music with generic lyrics and nothing sticks out for me on this album... I'm sorry to say but to me Mayday Parade are now just another pop band. // 5

Anywhere But Here Reviewed by: unregistered, on december 03, 2010

Sound: Mayday Parades sound was distinct among other pop/punk bands before the creation of Anywhere But Here. After hearing Go Radio, Jason Lancasters new band, I've come to the conclusion that Mayday is not quite what they once were. Signing to Atlantic records might also be behind the weakness of their latest effort. The problem I see in their new sound, is that it's far to polished and lacks the grit and emotion found in their former works. The sound is not bad, but it isn't Mayday Parade the way we know them. The bottom line is that it sounds like a We the Kings album, if We the Kings could write music as good as Mayday. (No offense to We the Kings). The new straight up pop/punk sound might attract fans of bands like We the Kings, All Time Low and Every Avenue, but it's a bit of a disappointment to fans like myself who were hoping they would pursue the more Taking Back Sunday side of their sound. // 6

Lyrics: Derek Sanders is still a great lyricist. You can still hear the old Mayday Parade emotion and wit in certain songs like, "If you can't live without me, why aren't you dead yet?". However, to many of the tracks lack the intelligent emo that I think Jason Lancaster might have taken with him. They are replaced by some well written tracks that don't draw you in emotionally. They make you realize that they could be better, they're just...not. Derek does prove that he can hold his own as frontman. The split vocals are missed by many including myself, but Derek has it all under control behind the mic stand. I don't know why they didn't have Jeremy or Jake sing a little more, but again it's not like they really need that. // 7

Overall Impression: Having been a big fan of Mayday before this LP, I am dissapointed with the overall sound of the album. It lacks the emo grit they displayed on their first two releases. I think Jasons not being a part of the writing process had a little bit to do with that and I won't take it back, so there! Somthing else I forgot to mention is that Jake Bundrick suddenly is just an okay drummer! Who made the decision he could take a vacation from his awesomeness. In other words the drums are a bit boreing. It is a well written pop/punk album and a poorly written Mayday Parade album, there's not much else to say. If it were lost or stolen, well...if I have to answer, no I wouldn't get it again. Sorry Mayday, maybe next time. // 6

More Mayday Parade reviews rating latest review