Mayday Parade Review

8.5
 8.8
 8.1
Mayday Parade Reviewed by: albumcritic69, on april 24, 2012

Sound: "Mayday Parade" can easily be described as "the Gods of the Pop-Punk genre". From there debut, "A Lesson In Romantics", followed by the slightly less but still quite good "Anywhere But Here" all the way to the newest self-titled release "Mayday Parade" have proved time and time again that they fit in the stereotypes of Pop-Punk but they don't fit them in the negative way other bands might fit the genre. Most people were suspecting this to be a flop since "Anywhere But Here" had a slightly different and admittedly different sound that lowered the bar for "Mayday Parade". Although this album easily brings them back up and will remind everyone that they're the band to listen to. Whether you like them or not, no one can deny the fact that this band shows something most bands lack, and that's talent. From the catchy guitars to the fun to listen to drums, the beautiful vocals and everything in between, "Mayday Parade" basically deliver an all around great album. // 9

Lyrics: Heartbreak is the main concept in the album and it's delivered in the most heart-bending way. It's basically an album meant for teenagers. For what it is though, it really is one of the most top-notched albums lyrics wise. Teenagers is what the age-range seems to be for this album. Knowing myself, I tend to like a song better when I can relate to the lyrics. It makes you really give the song a chance. With the heartbreak in the album, nearly all Pop-Rock loving teenagers will be drawn in from the poetic verses, and all out near-emo choruses. The lyrics have actually been one of my favorite aspects of Mayday Parade. The creativity of how they use some great one-liners and make them their own really shows the passion this band has. // 10

Overall Impression: I went in having neutral feelings for this album. I absolutely loved "A Lesson In Romantics", and I only kind of liked "Anywhere But Here". My expectations were exceeded and much more. These guys continue to hold their throne in the Pop-Punk/Emo genre and they aren't going down anytime soon. Recommended Tracks: "You're Dead Wrong", "Priceless", "I'd Rather Make Mistakes Than Nothing At All", "Happy Endings Are Stories That Haven't Ended Yet"

• Pros: Lyrics are incredible, vocals are top-notch, the instruments keep you plugged in for nearly all of it. It ends the way it starts, with piano and it'll leave you wanting more. The song titles are creative and not just annoying, random song titles, each song title actually has a connected meaning with the song.
  • Cons: The last two tracks are far from bad, in fact, the final track is one of my favorites, but the two of them are basically slow songs. The fact that they're nearly five minutes each and right next to each other might lead you to being bored are falling asleep. Still both tracks are beautifully incredible. If beautifully is even a word... A must-buy for any Pop-Punk fan. Also for anyone wanting to try to get into the genre. This would be an excellent place to start. // 9

Mayday Parade Reviewed by: Splizz, on october 11, 2011

Sound: Just like their previous albums, "Mayday Parade" have come out with heartfelt songs full of raw emotion. They kept their previous pop-punk sound, it felt as though they never really changed their style of music at all. In my personal opinion, after listening to the album, the songs all sounded the same. There was no really shining song in the album. Don't get me wrong, their all great tracks, but I was hoping for a really noticeable song. // 7

Lyrics: Their lyrics are amazing as they always were. Full of raw emotion that really tugs on your heartstrings. Just as their previous albums, most, if not all of the songs are about love. Whether it be about getting over someone, or falling in love again. You can tell that they really took their time writing these songs. I absolutely love the lyrics, even though I'm not a huge Mayday Parade fan. // 9

Overall Impression: Overall, I think this album is great though slightly repetitive. But don't let that deter you from buying this album. I highly recommend it for anyone who is or has dealt with a broken heart before. The most recognizable song from the album would have to be the first song "Oh Well, Oh Well". It starts with a slow piano and Derek singing. It starts of slow and them shifts into a fast pop-punk tempo. // 9

More Mayday Parade reviews rating latest review