De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas Review

mayhem: De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas
Release Date: 1994
Label: Century Media/Grind Core
Genres: Death Metal/Black Metal, Heavy Metal, Scandinavian Metal
This album may require a bit of patience, but it is worth it.
 9.9
 9.8
De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 05, 2006

Sound: Mayhem is one of the greatest black metal bands ever. Mayhem may have the usual formula of most norweigian black metal bands wich is blast beats, heavy guitar, and shriecking vocals but there is something special about this album that I cant put my finger on it. The beginning of the tale of this album begins in 1992, Mayhem was getting ready to record De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas, but Mayhem did not have a singer until later on in the sessions in March 1993, when Attila Cshiar joined. Later when DMDS was almost complete, Count Grishnakh (bassist) was having arguments with Euronymous (guitarist) about money the Euronymous ode to Grishnakh and according to Grishnakh, Euronymous wanted to kill him. On August 10th 1993 Grishnakh and Blackthorn (2nd guitarist) went over to Euronymous's house Grishnackh woke Euronymous up and stabbed him to death. Grishnakh was sent to jail and thats were he remains today. Grishnakh did manage to record the last two Burzum albums (Burzum was his one man band). Hellhammer (drummer) reformed Mayhem in 1995 and is still around today. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are really gloomy. Mayhem's former singer Dead wrote "Freezing Moon" in 1988 wich is about dying and coming back to kill others if they follow the freezing moon. Dead committed suicide on April 8th 1991. Attila Cshiar sings on De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas and Cshiar's singing skills are great, he can do the normal black metal voice and he can do an operetic voice, the best example of Cshiar's singing is on the the song "De Mysteriis Dom Sathans." // 10

Overall Impression: De Mysteriis Dom Sathans is a classic. The highlights on this album are "Funeral Fog," "Freezing Moon," "Pagan Fears" and "De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas." If it were lost or stolen I really would'nt have any problem because I ripped all the songs on the compact disc to my computer and I can make back ups and I have the whole album on my iPod. // 10

De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas Reviewed by: Nick M, on october 22, 2007

Sound: Well to start with in my opinion the true mayhem is with Euronymous (former guitarist). When Euronymous died mayhem also died. There is no reborn. De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas is darkness. One of the best black metal album.I t is just great. The sound is old school black metal and pure norwegian. The drums are compared with a machine-gun cause Hellhammer (drummer) is fast like a machine. The guitar is chaotic and the bass is also dark. DMDS is a perfect black metal album but the action recording process faced many difficulties. Euronymous and other members had difficulties-places to stay, problems with money etc. But this album was released and black metal ruled. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are very poetic such as in "De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas", "The Freezing Moon" and "Funeral Fog". What makes this album to belong to the black metal genre is that it is most of all Satanic. All lyrics are satanic. Now I believe that Attila is the most suitable man for the vocals. Attila is a god. When he is singing the darkness expands. His best vocals skills are in DMDS-this song is pure black magic. // 10

Overall Impression: This is the best album in the black metal scene cause it is perfect. This Album Is Darkness. All 8 tracks are perfect without compare. I have no things to hate about this magnificent album. If it where stolen I would buy another one again and again. No cheap mp3s from the internet. If you don't have this album you have no idea what black metal is. // 10

More Mayhem reviews rating latest review
+ Esoteric Warfare 7.9 06/11/2014