Ordo Ad Chao Review

mayhem: Ordo Ad Chao
Release Date: Apr 23, 2007
Label: Seasons Of Mist
Genres: Rock
This album will serve to strengthen the band's legacy as they emerge more vicious and vital then ever.
 9.1
 9.1
review (1) 11 comments vote for this album:
Ordo Ad Chao Reviewed by: tomvidar, on april 30, 2007

Sound: Ordo Ad Chao, is as it's title says: Chaotic! I'm not saying it's bad, but if you are going to enjoy this album, you better have an open ear. The guitars drown in the bass, and bells is louder than anything, the drums are blazingly fast, the riffs are chromatic and literally evil and frightening. The atmosphere is the darkest I have yet had my hands on. The technical drumming of Jan Axel is so fast you start wondering f he is a machine. The rythms are advanced and progressive elements are to be heard everywhere. Unusual sounds, sudden transitions and strange song structures. You have to admire Mayhem for their experimental approach. They are Mayhem! // 9

Lyrics: When it comes to the vocals, I have to say: The vocals are utterly evil and grim. They hit you from the inside! The lyrics are like always, nihilistic and often very deep and meaningful. But they are not like the very political and industrial speeches on Grand Declaration. The singer? I don't know how to judge a black metal vocalist, but I have to say, the vocals on this album are so effective at some points, you wish that very part of the song could be on repeat forever. // 9

Overall Impression: Mayhem's sound have been debated with every release all since the release of Mysteriis dom Sathanas. The fanbase always wanted another MDoS, though I have always appreciated Mayhems variation by every release. And this release is not an exception. Though the songs are a little chaotic (too much at some points) I do know that's what Mayhem wanted and you just have to admire them for experimenting. Mayhem is truly inspiring! Songs like Illuminate Eliminate, Anti and Psychic Horns are some unforgettable works. This album is an unforgettable work of dark music. Though chaotic, it's some of the best albums by Mayhem! // 9

More Mayhem reviews rating latest review
+ Grand Declaration Of War 8.4 05/06/2013