II Review

artist: maylene and the sons of disaster date: 03/28/2007 category: compact discs
maylene and the sons of disaster: II
Release Date: Mar 20, 2007
Label: Ferret
Genres: Heavy Metal, Alternative Metal, Southern Rock
Fans of the first album will not be disappointed with the innovative and dirty sound the band capitalizes on.
 8.7
 9.3
II Reviewed by: t3hrav3n, on march 23, 2007

Sound: Maylene had a great tone in their first album and the same is true here. Southern metal has never sounded better than with Maylene and her Sons. Though there was less double bass action on the drums than in their previous release, they still retained the intensity they had before, though in a slightly different form than before. I personally would have mixed the album differently, turning up the bass a bit and lowering the bass drum (though that may just have been the stereo I was listening to them through). Where the first album had told of the height of the career of Ma Barker and her sons, this album deals with their falls and their eventual demise. Because of this, "II" takes on a much darker tone than their self-titled release. This is not to say, however, that they have lost the ability to play around like before. Indeed, quite the opposite is proven in the beginning of "Wylie", with an up-tempo intro and the opening words "I feel like hell." // 9

Lyrics: As I said before, the lyrics have become much darker, but also much more thoughtful. Though obscured at times by Dallas' hoarse screams (which have gotten noticeably heavier), the lyrics have taken on much more weight than before. The haunting lyric in "Tales Of The Runaways," "Legends are made in shallow graves" is a simple lyric, but with a meaning that Dallas brings forth quite well. Reading through the lyric book, you'll find that some lines have been capitalized or even put in a larger font than the rest to bring the point of the line home to the reader. One such example is found in the song "Darkest of Kin," a personal favorite of mine, with the line "God make me pay like the Devil I am!" Emboldened, capitalized and a little larger than the rest of the lyrics. // 10

Overall Impression: "II" is definitely another beast than the self-titled album before it. I was a bit scared after hearing "Dry the River" on Maylene's Myspace page, with it's slightly creepy intro and wholly different vocal style for Dallas, but this fear was quickly quenched after listening to the whole album. My personal favorite songs (in no particular order) are: Tales of the Runaways, The Day Hell Broke Loose at Sicard Hollow, Darkest of Kin, Raised by the Tide and Wylie. Quite a few, yes, but they're all awesome songs. The only real thing I have to say that I don't like about this album is the vocal style. I do like the new style, but I also like the style of vocals in their first album. It's not that it's worse than before, just simply different. In fact, Dallas' new vocal style resembles that of his vocal style in his Underoath days. Truthfully, I'm torn in between which I like better, the new, or the old. It's hard to make a decision like that because they are so different. If this album were taken from me, I would beat the person senseless who did it, then buy them the album because it's so good that I understand why they'd want to steal it. With that said, I would not lose this album. Period. Go out and buy this album. FYE, Hot Topic or Best Buy are your best bets on finding it. Though the title of the album is a bit hard to spot from a distance, the cover is easily recognizable with the dead band members being dragged along by a few mysterious men. You should buy this album, if not for the music, then for the awesome pictures taken by Ryan Russell that litter the pages of the lyric booklet. // 10

II Reviewed by: ad4mZX, on march 28, 2007

Sound: Dallas Taylor, renown for being the original frontman of Underoath, returns with his Southern metal band, Maylene & The Sons of Disaster, once again. Anybody listening to 'Dry the River,' one of the tracks also featured in the recently released "The Day Hell Broke Loose at Sicard Hollow EP", will agree that the instrumentals in the album are very technical and flow well together. Many would agree that the guitar riffs are even better than the self-titled debut, but Dallas's changed vocals may stir up some disagreements among fans. As one of the biggest names in indie metal vocalists, more might be expected of Dallas. With each new album, ever since Cries of the Past with Underoath, his voice has seemed to lost it's unique sound and deepness. In 'II', it sounds as if he is simply yelling into a mic, but for some reason sounds better than that. After a minute of this relatively monotonous yelling, the sung choruses will be embedded right into your head. Of course, the album still blends melodic hardcore with southern music just as the self-titled debut did, they made it sound a bit better, but nothing amazingly innovative. // 7

Lyrics: As with their past album, this tells the story of the Barker/Karpis gang of the '30s. Dallas Taylor tells the story well. It has some hidden meanings and metaphors in the lyrics, but it isn't a set of master poems. The story of the Barker/Karpis gang shown in Maylene's music is about Ma Barker, suppossed leader of the gang (although that has proven to be false, Dallas tells the story from folk tales he was told has a child). Ma Barker is gunned down outside her house in the first album, and then her sons (The 'Sons of Disaster') have their own tales. The Barker/Karpis gang was from the south and does go along with the theme of the band and it's sound well. // 8

Overall Impression: If you listen to the album all the way through, you will realize that while some songs such as Dry the River, Death in an Alcoholic, and Wylie are amazing, there are some filler tracks here. It's a good album, one of the best I've heard so far in 2007, but it's not an instant classic. It's worth a listen to any metal fans that want a new sound, after more experience, Maylene & The Sons Of Disaster definetely has potential as a legendary band. // 8

More Maylene And The Sons Of Disaster reviews rating latest review