Maylene And The Sons Of Disaster Review

artist: maylene and the sons of disaster date: 03/17/2009 category: compact discs
maylene and the sons of disaster: Maylene And The Sons Of Disaster
 9.1
 8.9
 9.2
Maylene And The Sons Of Disaster Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 28, 2006

Sound: Maylene & The Sons Of Disaster is impressive! With there blend of hardcore and southern rock, this band has truly risen to the top of the ranks in southern rock/metal. This band can make believers of even the most hardcore and anti-hardcore listeners that, no matter what, the south rocks! The band blast the listener with an impressive opener "Caution: Dangerous Curves Ahead" that starts right into the song taking the impressive screaming of Dallas Taylor (former screamer for Underoath) and blending it with guitars that show a little southern pride. Then, the band continues into many impressive riffs and plenty of decent solos (something not many bands dare to touch in this genre). The band's first single from this album, "Tough As John Jacobs", opens with a single guitar using a slide. Then, drums help to build the intro and the song picks up some steam. The song drives and drives into a decent little tune. But for me, being a guitar player, is the ending solo that screeches over the band solidifying a great southern tune. Simple, sweet, and mixed with some of the rare vocals on the album that are sung instead of screamed. However, Dallas screams under it to maintain the "frustration about to break the silence." The band does have many shining moments on the album and contains many impressive hooks that grab the listener and takes them on a trip to the good old days when the blues ruled the airwaves. The band does mix up their sounds with songs like "The Mind Of A Grimes" which shows a faster and more urgent sound and the free sounding blues feel of "Lady At The Gate." But, the band does not stop there! To conclude the onslaught of madness that is Maylene, they present a truly powerful ballad, "Just Wanted To Make Mother Proud", that shows the bands ability to write incredibly in diverse styles, and that the band contains the ability to back off and slow down (a sign of a great band). The great thing is that they never seem to grow old, and they have a sound that grows on the listener. Soon, you too will want to talk like you were "born a' raised 'n the good ol' south!" // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics of the band are simple. Most people maybe turned off by some of the lyrics, but the band stands out to have positive lyrics. They also portray some of the internal struggles of man. But for the most part, the lyrics are Christian driven and present that attitude toward life. Dallas scream is also different from most and is easier to understand than most screamers. // 7

Overall Impression: As a first album, it is great. It leaves the listener wanting more of the bands style and attitude! The band is just as impressive live on stage and are explosive! If you want some raw and dirty rock for the whole family to enjoy, Maylene is the way to go. // 8

Maylene And The Sons Of Disaster Reviewed by: unregistered, on march 17, 2009

Sound: The sound is one of a kind, I've heard southern rock and I've heard hardcore hell, I've heard southerncore but these guys do it like no one else. In the song "Caution: Dangerous Curves Ahead" it starts out with a scream of agoney straight to a breakdown with a ting of souther twang. The next 30 seconds proceed to blow your mind with a slow but deep drum beat consisting of two hit's to the bass drum and a snare then rocks you into a daze with sick guitar cords. This song was all it took to make me fall in love with them. // 10

Lyrics: Back to the previous example "caution" the lyrics fit his southern anger with lines such as "I wanna be the bullet to bring you to your (slight pause) knees!" "yo man watch this swinging!" "feel your insides as they grow weak!" "forgive me for this.. on the other side!" I mean this stuff makes me wanna fight. There are no better words to fit this song. As well as the other tracks are conserned if I didn't peg it on this example then don't waste your time they are so diffrent yet all have the same intensity! // 10

Overall Impression: My impression is short and simple. They will make you wanna fight! I was never into dancing at shows but it's a sin not to at theirs! I would deff. Recoment them to any one who likes hardcore. These guys deff. Have what it takes to get a crowd moving. I bought the CD twice one for my computer and one for my car believe that they are on my zune. Finish reading comment and then go buy the CD. // 10

More Maylene And The Sons Of Disaster reviews rating latest review