Absence Of Sanity Review

McRad: Absence Of Sanity
Release Date: Aug 14, 2001
Label: Uprising
Genres: Skatepunk, Hardcore Punk
Absence of Sanity, even without the additional live songs and two cuts from a 1984 compilation, holds up decades after its initial release, and clich be damned, sounds just as fresh as it did back in the day.
 8.7
 9.3
review (1) user comments vote for this album:
Absence Of Sanity Reviewed by: GNRrockslife, on october 18, 2007

Sound: A little background on McRad: it's a skate punk band started and fronted by famous session musician and pro skater Chuck Treece in '82. The album came out in '87. The album has songs ranging from Bad Brains-esque punk (Such as McShred and Prevent That Tragedy) to straight up rock (In My Forever, Weakness) to reggae (Words Of Life). The album is raw, well recorded and well produced. The live tracks on the remaster, however have a little hiss and are rough on the ears at times. But it's still better than some live recordings I've heard. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are well thought out, and far superior to most punk lyrics. The lyrics fit stylistically with each individual tune, and reflect the music as a whole. Of course, 2 songs are the album are instrumentals (T.G. and Jocylen), and rightly so. The songs on the album where the lyrics really shine are Prevent That Tragedy (only on the remaster), Weakness, and Words Of Life. // 9

Overall Impression: This album is undoubtedly the definitive skate punk album. McRad is a greatly underrated band and, in my opinion, should be regarded with the same attiude as the Sex Pistols, Bad Brains, and Minor Threat all are. However in reality, few people know the band ever existed due to constant lineup changes, poor (no) promotion for the album and a 15 year hiatus. In fact, the only place you would have found out about McRad besides one of your buddies telling you to check them out is in the 1987 skate video "Public Domain". The album is well rounded and prouduced great for a band on a minor label, but the thing that really makes the album shine is the lasting effect. I've listened to this album at least once a week for the last year and a half, and it still sounds as fresh as I heard it for the first time. I would buy another copy without question if mine got stolen or lost. The only downside of the album is it was last reissued in 2001 and has long been out of print, and is only available on a few websites still. However, it is available on most online download stores, like Amazon's and iTunes. // 9

Comments