Dead Ringer Review

8.3
 7.8
review (1) 4 comments vote for this album:
Dead Ringer Reviewed by: RSG, on december 06, 2006

Sound: The first track, Peel Out, was more electric, and not heavy, not bombastic, but very catchy. Some nice guitar, some bass playing and drums that keep the track on it's feet. Meat's voice soundsr really different here. With all the touring from Bat, he had to learn to sing piece by piece, but later proved he was one of the best rock vocalists again, after 1984. I'm Gonna Love Her For Both Of Us, bass and piano, and some epic proportions, a Steinman 7 and half minute style, and there ain't no doubt about it, these two tracks are doubly blessed! More Than You Deserve, the first song Meat ever sung of Steinman's. Back in 1974, Steinman's Music in the musical with the same name, Meat won the audition too! MTYD sounds very Broadway like, and the video was kinda ridiclious, but the girls loved it. And the admiration for Meat's voice made some guys pretty jealous. Ironically the song was also about jealousy. Personal favourite of mine. I'll Kill You If You Don't Come Back, Similar to Peel Out, only with a more verse\chorus\verse\bridge\chorus type of approach. Not bad Until, the Coda. Most Heavy Rockers would say the coda kills such a song. But Meat never sung, and Jim never wrote any particular style except their exceptional own. The coda turns into a nice ballad, with the most beautiful climax of some Jim's best poetry. Meat sings it wonderfully! The next songs excluding Track 7, A Steinman spoken poem, All are on same page as ballad meets silly rock duet, with Cher. On Dead Ringer For Love, and it's silly. But the song is about two drunks at a bar, and it works! The only song I don't care for, cause it never felt finished to be, never fully produced maybe. Everything Is Permitted. It ends the record, and sometime I wish Everything Was Omited! But that's me. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics are very poetical, very funny, amusing, almost confusing. Different. They work well with the music, Meat's voice ain't what it was in 1977 or what it is today, but he performs the album with class. And I stand up and applaud him. Meat Loaf, was around in the eighties. After massive touring for the record Bat Out Of Hell. Meat gave it his all into every gig, and as anyone knows, them songs on the record, are hard to perform in your bedroom alone, let alone an eight gigs a given week, louder into a microphone, promoting and rehearsing. You can't really even begin to understand Meat, without taking the effort he put into this record. It wasn't just any record. It was A Jim Steinman record, with Meat's amazing voice under the vocals. Not many really clued into Jim Steinman, the songwriter. And without Todd Rundgren, the album's producer, Rock And Roll would never be the same. This time around, in Dead Ringer, Meat still sings the songs, Jim writes the songs, produces some tracks, but no Todd, No Problem. For some. Dead Ringer never sold a piercing 50 million copies like the debut record. But with all the touring in Germany, Canada, United States, etc. Meat gained a lot of respect, from Many people. These people, discovered Dead Ringer. And they all notice something different. The record is different, of course it is, how can you duplicate booh? With Steinman's Bad For Good solo record, intenionally to be sung for Meat Loaf. Meat never cared for it, and Steinman couldn't wait any longer (Edu-guess) two years. Which is fair, all the music was recorded, but Meat's voice wasn't right. So Jim sung his own record. With the one popular hit single, later to be recorded by Meat, Rock And Roll Dreams Come Through. This song on Steinman's record, was actually recorded by Rory Dodd, A Background singer for Steinman's later music and Meat's band. For a while. // 9

Overall Impression: I'm impressed, yes. The most impressive songs, I'll Kill You, Read Em And Weep and More Than You Deserve. I love the atmosphere of the album, I hate how Steinman hadn't produce. If it were stolen I would definetly go out and buy it again. I would suggest, if you like Meat's voice, and you don't mind indie type of rock music, play away. Meat has always been unique, so has Steinman, so don't expect heavy metal, or soapy ballads, and expect a surprise like you were with Bat Out Of Hell, this won't give you the same feeling. It might, but this is an entirely different record. // 8

More Meat Loaf reviews rating latest review