Countdown To Extinction Review

9.5
 9.6
 9.3
Countdown To Extinction Reviewed by: refusedparty, on september 06, 2004

Sound: Megadeth's sound on this album is pure heavy metal and goes down a treat. The remastered sound quality is brilliant - every instrument is clear. The sound is only bad on one track - Symphony of Destruction - where Dave Mustaine's vocals over power the instruments. Other than that, it's perfect! Here are the track ratings: 01. Skin O' My Teeth - 8/10 02. Symphony Of Destruction - 8/10 (this song is amazing but the version on this album is let down because the vocals are too loud. Don't fear though, the amazing version can be found on Capitol Punishment: The Megadeth Years.) 03. Architecture Of Aggression - 10/10 (best track on the album) 04. Foreclosure Of A Dream - 8/10 05. Sweating Bullets - 8/10 06. This Was My Life - 8/10 07. Countdown To Extinction - 10/10 (very moving) 08. High Speed Dirt - 8/10 09. Psychotron - 9/10 10. Captive Honour - 9/10 11. Ashes In Your Mouth - 9/10. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics on this album are the best lyrics Mustaine has ever penned. From the aggressive 'Symphony Of Destruction' (just like the Piper Piper, led rats through the streets) to the moving 'Countdown To Extinction' (all are gone, all but one, no contest nowhere to run), the quality of the lyrics never fall below 9/10. Just to prove that the lyrics are top notch, the title track even won the coveted Genesis Award, which is an award for most humane song. A lot of people say the only thing wrong with Megadeth is Mustaine's singing style, but I've always loved it and its great on this album as usual. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall, this is the second best Megadeth album - Rust In Peace is slightly better. But second is great when you consider Megadeth have released a total of 9 records! This album is often compared to Metallica's Black Album because they were released at the same time, but let me tell you one thing: the Black Album is completely rubbish compared to this masterpiece! The most impressive songs are the title track, Architecture Of Aggression and Symphony Of Destruction. The bonus tracks are a welcome selection of demos and an unreleased track penned by Diamond Head! If this were stolen, I wouldn't hesitate to hunt down the thieves and torture them till they gave it back. // 10

Countdown To Extinction Reviewed by: apocalypse13, on april 21, 2006

Sound: First things first, if you don't have this album, get it. Now. This is a rock solid album, start to finish. It doesn't fail to impress. Rust in Peace is the only Deth album I'll say is better, because of aggression only. Songwriting doesn't suffer one time in the entire CD. Dave Mustaine vocals are less aggressive than Rust In Peace, but it fits the toned down sound. He definitely focused on vocals for this album a bit more than he ever did before. Dave Mustaine and Marty Friedman, anyone who knows anything about me knows I'm a huge Marty fan, so naturally, I'm impressed. Regardless, you get nothing short of extraordinary. Dave, as usual, kicks ass on rhythm, while Marty's in-your-face lead work doesn't cease to please. Dave's leads are pretty much just like they always were, but I think the high point for Dave on the album is his "High Speed Dirt" solo. Some songs where Marty really shines are Skin o' My Teeth, Foreclosure of a Dream, Symphony of Destruction, and Captive Honour. Solid rhythms, soaring leads, what more could you ask for? David Ellefson does well to keep up with Dave's thrashing rhythms, and fits in just right between the rhythm and drumline. He usually just follows the guitar, but does have some catchy basslines, like on Symphony Of Destruction or the title track. Nick Menza is definitely one of my favorite drummers. He usually has pretty technical beats and this album is no exception. He provides a perfect backing in most songs. Some of my favorites include Captive Honour, Skin O' My Teeth, and Architecture Of Aggression. // 10

Lyrics: Overall, the lyrics are highly political, as usual. I'll critique it by song: 01. Skin O' My Teeth - a song about people attempting suicide. It's just about a plea for death, and death not answering. It's an upbeat song, and actually made to be humorous. 02. Symphony Of Destruction - about a politician's rise to tyranny. Kind of a thrash ballad feel to it, with an obvious reference to the Pied Piper in the Robert Browning poem, "The Pied Piper Of Hamelin." 03. Architecture Of Aggression - inspired by a book of the same name about Nazi facilities, as well as a bombing in Iraq on January 16, 1991. Pretty aggressive track with a lot of sound samples. 04. Foreclosure Of A Dream - about Ellefson's family farm being put out of business during the Reagan administration. Overall focuses on how the government controls all. I'd say this is tied with Holy Wars and Tornado Of Souls as the best Megadeth song ever. Friedman told a producer to fuck off when they were recording because he interrupted their playing, while they were going for perfection, which they achieved. 05. Sweating Bullets - a very strange song that obviously refers to schizophrenia. One of the heaviest songs on the album. 06. This Was My Life - about the hate Mustaine felt towards a long time girlfriend. A pretty catchy track overall, but not as good as some of the other songs. 07. Countdown To Extinction - probably the best lyrics on the album. Nick had found an article in Time magazine about poaching exotic animals, and the song speaks out strongly against it. Apparently, James Hetfield was involved in this "hunting," which brought Dave an even stronger hate for him. Really catchy, outspoken, powerful song that won them a Genesis award from an animal activist group. 08. High Speed Dirt - about skydiving, particularly about a failed parachute when skydiving. Really up-tempo, fun song. 09. Psychotron - about the comic "Deathlok." Dave got really carried away in an interview with his description of why he wrote this song. It's basically a science fiction song with badass guitar, especially the demo. 10. Captive Honour - about prison and beatings etc. Simple enough. Pretty extreme song. 11. Ashes In Your Mouth - about the world being destined to war, with God being the judge of its fate. Quite an aggressive tune. 12. Crown Of Worms - a song loaded with Biblical references. Its meaning is mysterious, though it could mean the way different people interpret the Bible in many different ways to distort it to fit their beliefs. On a side note, Dave is a devoted Christian, so he's speaking against this misinterpretation. It's a strange track that's sort of upbeat and aggressive at the same time. I'm leaving out the demos since the lyrics aren't really any different. All lyrical info and backstories attained from the official CD booklet and the Realms Of Deth. // 10

Overall Impression: This album mops the floor with most other thrash albums. Rust in Peace is the only Megadeth album, and possibly any album, I've come across that I like more. They're basically my top 2 favorite albums of all time, and if either was stolen or lost I'd buy another in a heartbeat. Every song is great, but Foreclosure of a Dream is probably the best song on the album. I highly encourage anyone to buy this album. The album is from beginning to end a nonstop thrash fest. The guitar is most impressive, Marty is an absolute beast. Also, as an interesting note, this was the first album that Dave was clean from drugs during. So, with a clear head, they made an instant classic and surefire addition to any shred or metal fan. // 10

Countdown To Extinction Reviewed by: boyan89, on june 29, 2006

Sound: The sound on this album is wowing. Dave Mustaine is one of the best rhthm guitarists I have ever heard in metal and Glen Rover is an awesome soloist and lead guitarist especially the solo in Symphony Of Destruction that is a true solo on this album. The drums on this album are amazing and man Shawn Drover can play the drums heavily and crazily. The bass on this album is also really, really good with short interludes between the songs thats awesome and James LoMenzo is one of the best bassists ever. So anyway the sound on this album was really good with ragin guitars, kick ass drum beats and amazing bass lines. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are really good on this album. I love it when Dave Mustaine's voice sounds all deep in some songs and then on some songs his voice can sound really soft like the intro to Captive Honour. I think that Dave is one of the best singers in heavy metal but I kind of like Kirks singing better (I'm not badmouthing Megadeth). // 10

Overall Impression: The 1st impression of this album was a really good one. I dont have any favourite songs on this album although the most catchy one is Symphony Of Destruction. I hate nothing about this album I love every single moment off it. If it were stolen/lost I am charging to the store. // 10

Countdown To Extinction Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 26, 2004

Sound: This is thrash metal at its pure best. The sound is amazing on this disc. It sounds like it was released yesterday. The tones are amazing and the production is incredible compared to Metallica's "Black Album" which was released at the same time. // 10

Lyrics: Amazing lyrics. They are really strong. It's themed around problems around the world today from paranoia (Sweating Bullets) to the modern world we live in (Foreclosure of a Dream). Excellent. // 10

Overall Impression: Amazing. This is like Metallica with 3 times the ammount of solos. Marty Friedman is an unspoken genius. Dave's basslines still kick ass. Nick Menza is still one of the best players in the world (don't deny facts) and Dave's songwriting Kicks more asses than a boot. // 10

Countdown To Extinction Reviewed by: unregistered, on february 09, 2004

Sound: Great heavy metal soundtrack. Great bass lines through out every song. David Ellefson is an awesome bass player. Go for the cd. Megadeths best. // 10

Lyrics: Lyrics were different than the earlier stuff. There isn't really a word I can use to describe them, sorry. Dave Mustaine has a unique voice. A bit strange at first. When I first heard them I thought they were a watered down version of Metallica, now I think they're awesome. // 8

Overall Impression: It's worth buying. I think this is one of the best heavy metal albums ever. I love the fact that it's consistent of being heavy metal the whole time. A great cd. Check it out for yourself. // 10

Countdown To Extinction Reviewed by: unregistered, on september 29, 2005

Sound: This album is Megadeth's finest hour. Marty Friendman's solos are fierce and fast, but also very emotional. They sound great behind Dave's heavy rythm. The drumming is awesome and every bassline is flawless. Sure, it may not be as fast as RIP or Peace Sells, but this album blows those two out of the water. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are Dave's best stab at songwriting. From "Foreclosure Of A Dream," which is about todays society, to "Countdown To Extinction," which is about how our world is slowing crashing down. Dave hits a new high in his voice. He really puts a lot of feeling in his singing. // 10

Overall Impression: This is Megadeth's best album so far. The whole album is great, but Symphony Of Destruction, Foreclosure Of A Dream, Sweating Bullets, and Countdown To Extinction are the best. If somebody stole this album, I would hunt them down and beat them. // 10

Countdown To Extinction Reviewed by: breadfan82, on february 02, 2007

Sound: Megadeth is one of the founding innovators of speed/thrash metal. The album seems to me to be about war, politics, and adrenaline junkies. This record seems heavier than most of Megadeth's albums before it. Dave Mustaine is an absolutely amazing songwriter and guitarist, and he rises to the occasion here. // 9

Lyrics: Dave Mustaine, in my opinion, has always struggled a bit with writing lyrics in some of his songs. This album has a ton of great lyrics, but also has a few moments in it that should have been thought through just a little better. The lyrics do fit the music perfectly, and the songs contain subject matter that is relevant to real life. Mustaine's vocals have often been the subject of debate, mostly with Metallica fans. They consider this to be the main reason that Metallica is "better". I will agree that sometimes Dave makes snarling and growling noises that make it sound like he's drooling on himself (i.e. "Sweating Bullets"), but for the most part, his vocals are perfectly suited to the creative element his music displays to the listener. // 9

Overall Impression: Most people compare Megadeth to Metallica all the time, but honestly, Megadeth doesn't sound anything like Metallica. This album's best songs are (in no particular order): Skin 'O My Teeth, Symphony of Destruction, Architecture Of Aggression, High Speed Dirt, This Was My Life. I love the face-melting guitar riffs and the ear-splitting solos. I really don't hate anything about it, but I really don't care much for the song "Sweating Bullets". If it were stolen, I'd go get it again without thinking twice. // 9

Countdown To Extinction Reviewed by: (...), on august 24, 2007

Sound: Countdown to Extinction was released after Megadeth decided to go in a slightly different approach musically. While nowhere as fast as Rust in Peace, the tunes are just as heavy and great and some are as technical. The production is great, and every note is exactly on tune, for the members (except the drummer, of course) ran their instruments through tuners while recording. The bass is audible and the guitars are not to thin, and not to overwhelming. I am a fan of Dave Ellefson, however I believe that he missed some opportunities on this album to showcase how good of a bass player he really is although he has a cool part on the title track. The solos are good and some are great, but not anything truly amazing. Dave's rhythm playing is as good as ever. Nick Menza does a fantastic job on drums in my opinion; I love the intro he does on "Skin o' My Teeth." Overall, a good sounding album for sure. // 8

Lyrics: At this point in Megadeth's career, all the members of the band wanted to contribute to the music and lyrics. This can be seen seen on the title track. Menza's lyrics on it are straightforward yet clever. A perfect blend for the sound of the music. It is quite refreshing to hear what the other members can come up with, and this helped make this album what it is in my opinion. Dave Mustaine does a decent vocal job on this album, not his best, not his worst, but defiantly good for him and his style. The background vocals are subtle, adding good harmonies and emphasis to certain parts of the music. I wish they expanded a little on the background vocals, however. // 8

Overall Impression: Countdown to Extinction is a great album, yet not their best. I prefer their earlier releases. Like always, some areas could see improvement. It contains some of Megadeth's most famous songs, such as "Sweating Bullets," "Symphony of Destruction" and "Ashes in Your Mouth." My personal favorite would have to be either "High Speed Dirt," or "Skin O' My Teeth." I see it with only one weak song, and that is "This Was My Life." "Captive Honour" starts out interesting, and has a somewhat humorous mid section, but kinda drops off after that. This has to be one of the best albums set up track list wise, for there is much variety between the songs yet they all seem connected. If wish that they used the demo for the song "Psychotron" (Dave seems to think the same way) instead of the production, but all is good. Any Megadeth fan should have this CD, and me being one, my collection would be incomplete without it. // 8

Countdown To Extinction Reviewed by: NightwishAngel, on december 01, 2007

Sound: Megadeth never fails to impress me. Compared to the albums before this one, CTE slows down their riffs, but yet keeps that incredible power and crunch everyone knows. I strongly prefer the original release over the remastered version; the original is rawer and has more vibes to it. And let's not forget the rapid solos from Dave and Marty! // 10

Lyrics: I love the lyrics on this album. A great mixture of political and personal themes in it. Dave Mustaine may not be the strongest singer, but his style really suits the lyrics that he sings his heart out on. 01. Skin O My Teeth - about trying various ways to commit suicide, but always never getting the job done. Amazing opener. 02. Symphony Of Destruction - the rise of a tyrant and his downfall. One of Megadeth's signature songs and one of their best. 03. Architecture Of Aggression - a song about war and the aftermath of it. One of my favorites on the album. 04. Foreclosure Of A Dream - about poverty on farms and also about David Ellefson's life when he was with his parents. Very powerful and heartfelt. 05. Sweating Bullets - about a man with multiple personalties. My favorite track on the album and it never ceases to entertain me. 06. This Is The Life - a person who tries to live life to the fullest, but screws it up. So-so song. 07. Countdown To Extinction - about hunting all animals to the brink of extinction till there's only one animal left: Man. Very impressive song and probably one of the strongest on the album. 08. High Speed Dirt - about the thrill of skydiving. Fun song, really catchy. 09. Psychotron - about the comic book character, Dethlok. Okay song, not one of my favorites. 10. Captive Honour - about the court and the judge. Awesome song, especially the voiceovers. Best one: "Life?! What do you mean life? I ain't got a life!" 11. Ashes In Your Mouth - the aftermath of war. Great song, especially the intro. // 10

Overall Impression: This album is the one that got me into Megadeth and I still love it to death. Definitely better than most of Metallica's '90s stuff (except the Black Album). The best songs on the album are: Sweating Bullets, Symphony Of Destruction, Architecture Of Aggression, Foreclosure Of A Dream, and Countdown To Extinction. If it was stolen, I would by two more copies and make sure no one takes them! // 10

More Megadeth reviews rating latest review
+ Killing Is My Business... And Business Is Good! 8.7 06/06/2013