EndGame Review

megadeth: EndGame
Released: Sep 15, 2009
Genre: Heavy Metal, Thrash Metal, Hard Rock, Speed Metal
Label: Roadrunner
Dave Mustaine and Megadeth are back with a new guitarist and a whole lotta shred. The 'Deth's bestin years!
 Lyrics: 8.5
 8.9
 8.7
 9.1
EndGame Reviewed by: UG Team, on september 15, 2009

Sound: Megadeth have always had different line ups through the years. Some were good. Some were great and some were absolutely stellar, like the Friedman and Ellefson years, which were some of their best. On EndGame, Megadeth and their fearless leader Dave Mustaine have solidified their most cohesive, shred-a-rifffic roster in years. New axe Chris Broderick is like a jolt of adrenaline to the Megadeth bloodstream, and he shreds his ass off alongside the inimitable Mr. Mustaine. Megadeth (and Mustaine, even though the two are interchangeable at this point) haven't sound this pissed off, with this much venom dripping from their chins, in years. We like it. But more importantly, metal and Megadeth fans will love it. Opening with the instrumental Dialectic Chaos and launching with the warhead that is This Day We Fight!, EndGame comes out of the gates, with all guns held high and blazing, never missing their targets. Mustaine and his crew clearly realize, like Tom Cruise's Maverick in Top Gun, that metal fans feel the needfor speed. Never once does that band apply the brakes on this trash attack of epic proportions. To say that EndGame is a return form would imply, indicate and insinuate that the band has been missing a step in recent years, when it hasn't. 2007's United Abominations was a quality album and EndGame follows it up with the same amount of ferocity. 44 Minutes offers a menacing guitar tone, while Headcrusher sounds like Mustaine has been carrying around the song in his arsenal since 1986, saving it till it accrued enough interest to make the most impact when he unleashed it upon the unsuspecting world. Bite the Hand is another album that straddles the line between the classic and modern thrash eras. Simply put, EndGame is the Megadeth fans want and need in 2009. // 8

Lyrics: Mustaine's got a gift for wordplay, turns of phrase and political phraseology that makes you think beyond the initial meaning. EndGame is inspired by a document that was signed during the Bush administration do your research if you want to know more and educate yourself- and Mustaine wove the album around that particular piece of governmental trickery. Mustaine is a smart lyricist and wordsmith who is informed about things beyond the nightly news so if you want to do a little thinking, you can get the seeds of info from songs like Bodies and the title track and then learn a little bit more on your own. If that isn't the hallmark of good music, then nothing else can be! Dave's just leading you to the water it's up to you to drink. His gritted-teeth delivery is as chilling and ominous as ever, too. He still sounds young and vengeful. // 8

Overall Impression: Metal flows through Mustaine's and Megadeth's veins. EndGame is just another piece of evidence that displays this fact. It's one of the band's best of their modern era and this decade, and will veritably find a place amongst the metal canon, when we look back at this album in ten or 15 years. // 9

- Amy Sciarretto (c) 2009

EndGame Reviewed by: henryfp, on august 16, 2010

Sound: Well, before I bought this album I only knew the greatest hits of Megadeth, so this their first album I know from the beginning to the end. I find almost everything from EndGame quite different from those previous Megadeth anthems like "Symphony Of Destruction", "Sweating Bullets", "Skin O' My Teeth", "Peace Sells", "Tornado Of Souls", Etc. It's heavier, Dave seems a lot more furious the way he sings now and the solos are quite more shredders instead of having those little particularities that let you identify them at the first few notes. I'll tell you what I think of each track: 01. "Dialectic Chaos": It's an outstanding instrumental track! In this one, Dave and Chris show you some of their guitar skills. (10/10) 02. "This Day We Fight": I think this is the heaviest track of the whole album. Its beginning is linked with "Dialectic Chaos" end. As it opens Dave debuts the furious way of singing I've told you before with an angry "For this I was chosen because I fear nothing." Of course, as a really fast song, it has some shredding solos along. (8/10) 03. "44 Minutes": It opens really slowly, like they are still recovering from "This Day We Fight". You hear a police communicator in the beginning of the song and when it shuts up, Megadeth are already full of energy and ready to begin another great song. It's got a great chorus and some sweet solos (mainly the one played after the first chorus) In my opinion this one of the best tracks in EndGame. (10/10) 04. "1,320'": Pretty cool riff. Not one of those great chorus Mustaine usually creates. Another shred in the solo. Personally, this isn't one of my favorite songs in the album... But it's not bad. (7/10) 05. "Bite The Hand": Another good riff and exciting verse. The chorus isn't an highlight, but does its work pretty well. THIS ONE FINALLY REALLY HAS WHAT I CALL A MEGADETH SOLO (not one of those amazing unforgettable solos but this is undoubtedly screams MEGADETH RULES, MAN) (8/10) 06. "Bodies": "Bodies" is one of my favorite songs in the album. Here we have one of those ggggggreat chorus and I really appreciate the guitar work in this one. (10/10) 07. "EndGame": This is the title and it actually sounds really good. It starts with a dark announcement made in a sort of megaphone and as it ends we got an amazing metal song that was a good choice for title track. Another really cool guitar work. (9/10) 08. "The Hardest Part Of Letting Go... Sealed With A Kiss": It's the album's ballad. I think every metal album, even if it's really, really heavy and fast, should have a ballad. This has basically got two different songs linked and named as one and in the album lyrics they are separate ("The Hardest Part Of Letting Go...", "Sealed With A Kiss" and "The Hardest Part Of Letting Go (continuation)")"The Hardest Part Of Letting Go..." works as a sweet, slow, beautiful love ballad, but(!), unfortunately, this kind of thinks are not appropriate for Dave's voice... "Sealed With A Kiss" is like an heavier continuation of the song and in this one Dave fits perfectly and makes it great. The rest is just a finishing of the first part. (8/10) 09. "Head Crusher": This is one of the heaviest songs of the album and the favorite of most of the people who know the album. It was also the first single from EndGame. It's a great song: great singing, great guitars, great metal song, MEGADETH!!! What can I say... (10/10) 10. "How The Story Ends": GREAT! This is my favorite song on EndGame! You listen to that awesome chorus once keep singing it the whole day, it's just amazing!!! This song only has got one strange thing in it... What the hell is an acoustic solo doing here?! Actually it sounds cool but you barely can't hear it. Good guitar work. (10/10) 11. "The Right To Go Insane": It starts with a bass getting you ready for a excellent ending of a really impressive album. It's an heavy song with a beautiful chorus. Here we have another solo that really tells you this is Megadeth. (10/10) // 9

Lyrics: First of all I must tell you I can't say much about the lyrics because I don't understand them very well as I'm 14 years old and I'm Portuguese... But I can tell you a guy who's got a pretty good review in this section. Ladies and gentlemen: Megadeth Mani4c What I can tell you about this is that lyrics aren't much poetic (there aren't barely rhymes). And as Megadeth Mani4c also said "One thing that comes up a lot is that Dave isn't the best singer, while this may be true, he doesn't try to do anything he can't and besides; Megadeth has always been more about the music than the singing." I'll rate this section 9 because I just told the same thing Megadeth Man4c did and gave you the advise to check his review out. // 9

Overall Impression: As I don't know much of the rest of Megadeth's work this may not true, but compared to what I know this record is quite different. And of course, as this is a Megadeth album I can't avoid comparing it to Metallica's Death Magnetic. It's just different but I personally prefer Death Magnetic. But people, comparing Metallica to Megadeth sometimes is O.K., but other times is to dull because they are both great bands: Metallica admit that Megadeth made some of the most important albums in metal history and Metallica have the incredibly huge success you can check everywhere (headline lots of festivals, everyone already heard of them, etc). I think that, now, their rivalry only exists in fan's minds. I personally prefer Metallica but I don't say Megadeth sucks (because they don't and I even bought their album (remember I'm 14, I buy my albums with my own money and I have to choose wisely)) The EndGame biggest highlights are: 1 - "How The Story Ends" 2 - "The Right To Go Insane" 3 - "Bodies" "If it were stolen/lost, would you buy it again or get something else?" I think is question is quite silly because it's obvious I already have the album in my mp3, saved in my computer and if I wanted it in the CD format I would record in a virgin CD. // 9

EndGame Reviewed by: Megadeth Mani4c, on september 16, 2009

Sound: Megadeth's latest addition to their collection of albums is a smoldering sesspit of headbanging riffs, thundering drums, snarling vocals, and more guitar solos than one could even hope to count. This is definatley their clearest sounding record and their fastest. This is also their first cd featuring guitarist Chris Broderick. Him and Dave Mustaine trade off squealing solos every minute to turn this into one of best "guitar albums" available. Simply put, they're probably the some of the best musicians in metal and they love to show it. Here is a little brief synopsis on each track: 01. Dialectic Chaos: this is an instrumental track that is pure gold. The dueling guitar solos make you get goosebumps as they conclude in a "symphony of destruction" 02. This Day We Fight: the title is a reference to Sun Tzu's book The Art of War and a quote from the Lord of the Rings. This song is equally as epic. The deadly riffs and shouting make it quite compelling. This is one of my favorites off the album and good to listen to over and over. 03. 44 Minutes: this song starts off with a mini solo and thundering beat and sounds of a police radio. This song,about a bank robbery, has a catchy chorus and an equally catchy solo tied in. 04. 1,320: one of the coolest songs off the album, it starts off with a fast riff, then a drum fill and ends with a bunch of fast angry vocals and a whole bunch of guitar solos. You'll be sure to like this one. 05. Bite the Hand: this song is about coporate greed and economic crisis and such. Starting off with a heavy riff, then a more bluesy sounding verse, this one is a fairly nice addition to this monster of a record. 06. Bodies Left Behind: one of the heavier tracks off the record, this sinister musical piece will have your head banging the whole time and begging for more 07. Endgame: the title track is similar to the title track on the previous record, only heavier. This politically charged masterpiece has you singing along with the chorus and at the same time, getting you mad at the Man. 08. The Hardest Part of Letting Go: this track is similar to A tout le Monde only faster and heavier. It starts off with an acoustic section quickly getting heavy and then soloing the rest of the way. The song is basically about the Poe story "The Cask of Amontillado" if the guy that got killed was a girl he was in love with. This is one of the more sinister tracks that has to grow on you. 09. Head Crusher: this is the best track off the album. It is about the torture device of the same name, this song will have you shaking your head till brain matter comes out your ears. It starts off with a fast mini solo then instantly goes into an angry rant of death and destruction. The killer riffs, memorable lyrics and guitar solo to top it off will crush your skull. After listening typically you just wanna listen to it again. An instant classic. 10. How the Story Ends: kind of a part 2 to This Day We Fight, this is also a good one. The chorus is undeniably catchy and the rest is as well. One of my favorites from the album. The Right to Go Insane: this song is about the economic crisis/foreclosure problem. It starts off with a heavy bass riff, then a memorable guitar riff to follow. This track catches the whole feel of the record and is probably the best example of the sound you get. The intensley heavy track closes with some really fast soloing. To describe the sound of the album I would say that it is 100 percent Thrash Metal, just the way we like it. This is probably the most intense sounding record they've released in a long time. It sort of shows that Megadeth doesn't care about what is popular right now and just wanted to make an awesome record. This is a real breath of fresh air. // 10

Lyrics: If you've heard any of their previous work you know what to expect. Theres lyrics involving political unrest, war and other random subjects. The lyrics definatley suit the music well and so does Mustaine's voice. One thing that comes up a lot is that Dave isn't the best singer, while this may be true, he doesn't try to do anything he can't and besides; Megadeth has always been more about the music than the singing. If I was to describe the lyrics, I would say that they are clever and go well with the style. They're not exactly poetry, but they certainly better than the mindless garbage a lot of singers come up with. Here is a favorite line from the song Head Crusher: "Twisting, turning the giant screw. Your Teeth are breaking loose. Crushed and splintering into your mouth." And this from This Day we Fight: "To size up their shriveled up souls and scatter them like grist, I vanquished the strangleholds that the netherworld sets for me. The last request for my life is to die killing my enemy." That's just a sample of the words used on the album. These lines tend to stick to your head quite well and work excellent with the mood of the music. // 9

Overall Impression: In my opinion, this is their best record since Rust in Peace. I know that's a big statement, but it truly is. This album is a good buy for any one who likes Megadeth or just a few songs of theirs. I love everything about it and I find it difficult to find something that I hate. I like it a little more every time I hear it, and that's something that doesn't happen often. Some people might say that none of the songs stick out in this record; what I would recommend is listening to it again and seeing if it sticks. That's another thing I like about it. It is not catchy for obvious reasons, you have to let it enter your mind and then you'll start to apprieciate it. With songs like Head Crusher, 1,320, This day we fight, and how the story ends; you have a metal album of the year right here. Even if you don't care for these guys, give it a listen because learning to play these songs will give you enough of a challenge. I am sure I am going to buy the Tab book when it comes out too for that reason. Cheers to Megadeth for the great addition and hope to see 'em live soon. Buy this Album! // 9

EndGame Reviewed by: BILLYutm, on september 18, 2009

Sound: Dave Mustaine is the most overt media whore in the music industry today. Literally since the day he scheduled his studio time for what would become ENDGAME, Motormouth Mustaine has made it his personal quest to be featured on the major news outlets each and every day with some kind of waxing poetic. Whether he's been spewing about coffee, journalists secret agenda to stir the pot, or the creation of this new album, it just seems like Mustaine has been more than willing to share his every last thought. In short, the Internet is Dave Mustaine's personal Twitter page. While much of his ranting has been fairly frivolous, there was one statement that caught my eye. He stated, more than once, that ENDGAME was a throwback album to the RUST IN PEACE era. For me as a Megadeth fan and musical worshipper, that's a pretty big statement. After listening to ENDGAME multiple times, it's not a fully accurate statement...but it's pretty damn close. By my definition, ENDGAME falls as a throwback album alright...an amalgamation of the style featured most prominently on the band's three biggest albums COUNTDOWN TO EXTINCTION, RUST IN PEACE and YOUTHANASIA. Simply, this is the best Megadeth album since that era ended. // 10

Lyrics: In pure Mustaine form, he doesn't take a long time to make his point known that he's recaptured his metal roots. This Day We Fight kicks things in to high gear with it's hyperspeed riffing that is very, very similar to Rust In Peace. It's clear that Mustaine really felt there was something to prove with ENDGAME, and he's done his best to do just that. Each and every song rocks in it's own way. Mustaine sounds great; both with his menacing snarling vocals and with his guitar work, which is stronger than it's been in at least three albums. While Mustaine may have refound the metal, the guy that energizes ENDGAME is guitarist Chris Broderick. The former guitarist of Nevermore and Jag Panzer is a monster throughout, especially when he and Mustaine take turns trading leads. His sound is fairly distinct and adds a slightly new dimension to songs like 44 Minutes, and it just flat out works. On the back end, bassist James Lomenzo and drummer Shawn Drover are more than competent at keeping the songs driving forward with a massive underside. Musically, this album stands on its own with great performances all around. // 10

Overall Impression: The playing though has never been the issue with Megadeth; a band that's always put out music with only the most skilled musicians providing their best performances. The hit or miss for Megadeth has always been the songwriting. While albums like THE WORLD NEEDS A HERO, RISK and about half of CRYPTIC WRITINGS didn't quite measure up, it's clear that extra effort found it's way to ENDGAME. That's not to say that Mustaine simply wrote the way he used to. Listening to songs like The Hardest Part Of Letting Go...Sealed With A Kiss, you realize that there's some fresh ideas here that would have fit years ago into this band's repertoire. Still, songs like Headcrusher or 1,320 are classic in their structure, scope and overall direction. There's a lot of old school vibe here to be sure, but there are some ideas that just work well with the more classic sound. // 10

EndGame Reviewed by: truedoom, on september 15, 2009

Sound: Megadeth have proven once again, that age is no obstacle in making some very sweet Thrash. I went into listening to this album with a sense of "there's no way it can improve on their older records" It seems however, much like United Abominations, Dave and Co. can still pull great songs out of their hard-shells. The sound is reminiscent of a much better produced Rust in Peace, Peace Sells. We have a lot of pounding bass guitar and bass drum, with a lot of double guitar work, and in the case of the first song "Dialectic Chaos" a complete guitar battle between frontman Dave, and new blood Chris Broderick, showing that the lead guitarist in Dave is still alive an kicking, as he flawlessly keeps up with Broderick. You can definitely see Broderick's classical training coming through on this album, with a lot of very fluid sweeping and technical precision. However, the solo's can become a little boring, as it seems Broderick is playing as fast as he can, and not playing what suits the song. All in all the sound production and mixing of instruments is wildly superior to any other Megadeth album. All instruments sound clear, with just the right distortion for rhythm, lead, enough bass, and excellent sounding drum tracks throughout the songs. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics, like many Megadeth albums, focus's on the Now, and this album is no different. There are songs condemning all the financial leaders, and their greed, which has left us in this mess of a recession, or more political still, with the title track EndGame being about Bush, and a very confrontational bill which he tried to put through. However, in all the seriousness, there is still some random lunacy from Megadeth, with songs like "1,320" being about Nitro Fuelled cars, which are something Mustaine enjoys very much. As for singing skills, Mustaine has a lot of growling, screaming, talking and all things in between. His voice is just the same old mustaine voice, with the same "you like it, or don't" air about it. All the music flows around the lyrics effortlessly, and makes a very enjoyable listening experience. // 8

Overall Impression: At the present time, I think this album is amazingly good. I love all the aspects of it. Well worth buying. It compares best to 'United Abominations' in terms of lyrical content, and sound. However, at the same time, it borrows from all of Megadeths previous triumphs, and creates a truly worthwhile album. Diehard Megadeth fans will enjoy this album a lot, and it's bound to attract some new fans. The most impressive songs on this album are, in my opinion, Dialectic Chaos, How The Story Ends, The Right to Go Insane, and EndGame. They are my favourites, and I think they combine the best of what Megadeth is all about. As a guitarist, I can easily say I love daves pounding and driving rhythm work, its top notch as always, and am amazed at what Brodericks fingers can do on the fretboard. If it was stolen, or lost... I'd probably have it ripped to my PC so there wouldn't be any need to replace it. But I would be really pissed off. // 9

EndGame Reviewed by: MetallicStrat8, on september 15, 2009

Sound: After its highly successful album, 'United Abominations', Megadeth took 2 years to write there newest album Endgame! first off the, the band made its mark in the 80's with its furious speed, and this album is no exception to that belief. As with most of the albums by Megadeth, this one has a very heavy political inspiration and reference. Notably by its title track 'Endgame'. As most know the album name and song was conceived when front man Dave Mustaine was reading a government article called Endgame, talking about the exporting of immigrants that did not belong. I was especially looking forward to this new album because they now have Chris Broderic in the band, and according to Mustaine he brought about new ideas to the music of the band. Which brings me to my next thing, they did something very different with this album, something they really haven't touched on, they used a lot of synth and orchestration instruments. This actually made the album come together and fit better than its 2004 predecessor 'The System has Failed'. This album was a great work for the band and an even better follow up to there last 4 albums. Although I did notice some repeating riffs, by that I mean there was a riff in '1320' that sounded like the beginning to 'Love to Deth' off of 'Killing is my Business...and Business is Good'. But for being in the business this long it is kinda expected. But I enjoyed it more than any other album this year. // 9

Lyrics: Ahhhh.. The usual Snarl of Dave Mustaine. As with the previous album the lyrics in this album deal heavily on political sovereignty and abuse. And the new harmonies the band has come up with has really made them sound better. As we all know Dave mustaine is very diverse so he looks deep within himself and finds things that others would probably deem clinically insane, but not a MEGADETH FAN. His lyrics really shine on the song '44 Minutes' with such references as "we have 44 minutes of target practice on them" as in the government dummies. To be Honest though Dave Mustaine has written a little better in the past, and his singing isn't as prominent on this record but they are now getting back to the 'Rust in Piece' days of the band. Wich is what made them who they are. // 9

Overall Impression: In respect to the other albums this is defiantly one of the classics that should have came out between Rust and Extinction. This album actually builds your anticipation to know "whats next?" but only Dave Mustaine knows whats next. The album consists of some of Megadeths best work in at least 10 years, with songs like '44 minutes', 'Head Crusher'. 'Endgame', and 'The Day we Fight'. My favorite song off the new album is defiantly Endgame because of the way it fits together, without this track the album would have not been so tightly glued together. Now what everyone wants to know was this better than Death Magnetic? Metallica and Megadeth have been in it for the win for years, but everyone's been waiting for the battle of these new albums. In my Opinion I like 'Endgame' just a little more. But because Megadeth doesn't have a very big mainstream grab, this album will probably not do as well as Death Magnetic. But fans like myself will support this album till it never dies! The only down part was Mustaine didn't sing as much and they repeated some riffs but it is defiantly bound to happen after this long. This album is so far #1 in my collection I'd have to re buy it had it been stolen. But Megadeth ITS GOOD TO HAVE YOU BACK! // 10

EndGame Reviewed by: Riffofthebeast, on october 19, 2009

Sound: This album is amazing. It is the best thing megadeth has done in years. They definitley have their origional sound back. It sounds like they were influenced by some of their past albums, you can definitley hear parts that sound like songs from Countdown To Extinction, and Rust In Peace. The sound is more agressive than it has been since rust in peace. The other members of the band had a hudge part in this album unlike past albums where Dave Mustaine wrote a majority of the songs. This album has that classic megadeth sound while still having a slightly modern sound. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics mostly revolve around death, war, other world issues and also fictional issues like in the song "Endgame". The lyrics go greatly with the music. The albums lyrics have a wide variety of different themes like the lyrics for the song "Headcrusher" are about a torture divice, and the lyrics to the song "1320'" are about drag racing. // 9

Overall Impression: This album is like a mix between Countdown To Extinction, Rust In Peace, Youthanasia, and Peace Sells... But Who's Buying. The most impressive song is the song named ater the album called "Endgame", which is about fictional new world order lead by the US. I love everything about this album it is just so... MEGADETH! If it were stolen or lost I would buy it again. // 10

EndGame Reviewed by: unregistered, on september 21, 2009

Sound: Over the last few years the Big Four of thrash have treated us to new music. Anthrax's "We've Come For You All" and Metallica's "Death Magnetic were both heralded as returns to form for the respective bands, while Slayer's "Christ Illusion" was considered a solid addition to the infamous thrash gods' library. Megadeth fell into a deep hole with the sub-par release "Risk" and has slowly crawled their way to the top since. "The World Needs a Hero" was a step in the right direction towards the band's famed metal sound. "The System Has Failed" took this further, scoring a couple classics in songs such as "Kick the Chair" and "Kill the King." United Abominations appeared to be Megadeth's so-called "return," but the new release, "Endgame" redefines the term "return to form" as we know it. Can the generic metal sound on Anthrax's most recent release stand up to "Endgame?" Not even close. The new album from Mustaine's gang perfects the sound that they had worked so hard to build since the horrendous sales of "Risk." Mustaine and new guitarist Chris Broderick show off their unrivaled chops with immaculately clean playing and brilliant harmonies. Guitar solos are all over, from the minute-long shredders in "This Day We Fight!" and "1,320" to the soothing leads of "The Hardest Part of Letting Go... Sealed With a Kiss." Shawn Drover continues to prove himself as one of metal's most accomplished drummers, and James LoMenzo provides solid bass work to round out 'Deth's rhythm section. The sound on most songs is layered brilliantly, with several different tracks blending together brilliantly. Some minor synth work is present, but not abused by any means. The Megadeth metal sound of old is back with a vengeance. // 9

Lyrics: It's been no secret that since rediscovering his faith Mustaine's lyrics have been politically driven, to the point that it's become a bit overdone. Just looking at the titles of the two albums before "Endgame" ("The System Has Failed" and "United Abominations") will give you a bit of a hint as to how much Mustaine's views have been a part of Megadeth's music in recent memory. However, "Endgame" also has the classic Megadeth killing song a la "Black Friday" in "Head Crusher," the album's first single; and another racing-themed song in "1,320." The lyrical writing is no less than you'd expect from Dave, top-notch. The words are serious when they need to be and fun and a bit cheesy when they want to be. It's hard to believe that the lyrics to "1,320" and "The Right to Go Insane came from the same person, but they do and it shows just how versatile Mustaine has become in his nearly 30 years in music. The vocals themselves are a big step up from "United Abominations," on which Dave sounded unsure of his ability and the snarls fell into gritty speaking. Mustaine shines across the whole album, and shows that he can still pull of a great thrash vocal. The only slight complaint on the singing is that some gang vocals could have helped on an anthem such as "This Day We Fight," where although Dave does a good job the refrain could use a bit more force. Nonetheless, the lyrical and vocal efforts should be commended. // 8

Overall Impression: Endgame is a huge success. From start to finish it's a heavy metal masterpiece, with arpeggiated guitar solos abound. Pounding drums and bass thumping hold together the wild guitar and vocals, recreating the controlled chaos that Megadeth was so famous for in the 80s. Technical brilliance shines through on tracks like "The Right to Insane," which features 5 fantastic riffs and some impressive soloing at the end. The track also features one of my favorite lyrics from the album: "I've got nothing left to lose but my sanity, and the right to go insane." Chris Broderick makes his presence known with wicked solos all over the album, and looks to be a rock in Megadeth's lineup. From the epic title track to the thrashing "1,320," Megadeth has achieved their true return to form, and hopefully there's more from where it came from. // 9

EndGame Reviewed by: SGofawesome, on january 29, 2010

Sound: With the album of the year, Megadeth belts out an amazing effort, and Dave's never sounded better. With a totally new lineup, including Chris Broderick at lead, it's hasn't sounded this good since Rust In Peace. I think Shaun Drover is their best drummer yet, it shows in Dialectic Chaos, This Day We Fight!, and 1,320'. James LoMenzo is also new on the bass, but he's had his share of experience. Playing with other big bands, like Iced Earth, LoMenzo shows serious skill in The Right To Go Insane. Would I compare him to Dave Ellefson? Probably not even close. The sound of the album sounds like the usual Megadeth, without some of the technicality from United Abominations, but sounds more brought out, thrashy, and a more chugging distortion. A lot of triplet chugging is this album, like in The Hardest Part of Lettin Go...Sealed With A Kiss. Dave is still using his Dean flying V's, and Broderick has an ibanez. If you ever go see them live during the Endgame tour, Broderick has an Ibanez with Vic uncovering the mask of a bar-coded prisoner, which looks so awesome. Usually on an album, one of the instruments, or vocals, are overpowering. Not here, everything is totally equal, even the bass is fairly audible! // 9

Lyrics: Lyrics are still the normal Megadeth, great lyrics with one or two songs with terrible lyrics.This one, however, has quite a few songs with lyrics that could've been better. Dave has always had his own unique voice, and it has never sounded better. More clear and smooth, with rough bite where it's needed. Here's a rough breakdown of lyrics. 01. Dialectic Chaos: instrumental... 02. This Day We Fight!: precedes from the distortion of Dialectic Chaos, with Dave singing along to a speed riff of the ages. Dave really worked the lyrics in this song. 03. 44 Minutes: worst lyrics in the whole album, starts out with army officers speaking on a radio, back and forth about an attack on a U.S. squadron. Lyrics are terrible after that. 04. 1,320': this song has some of the best lyrics on the album, about drag racing. Has a nice bite at the end of the chorus. 05. Bite The Hand: the second song with terrible lyrics, but the vocal performance is a good job. A song that can easily get stuck in your head, despite sucky lyrics. 06. Bodies: the only song on the album I didn't listen to 24/7. The lyrics are fairly good, but slighty repetive. The chorus is pure crap to me, but the verse is cool. 07. Endgame: nice lyrics, very good job by Dave's vocal talents, especially at the beginning. The very end is amazing, one of the songs I wished they would play live. 08. The Hardest Part Of Letting Go: this one is about a guy who has to leave his wife, don't know the reason why, but it's an amazing vocal performance, but the lyrics aren't that great, 2nd worst behind 44 minutes. 09. Head Crusher: don't even focus on the vocals here. The guitars is the highlight of the song. The lyrics are the best on the album, and it has rough aggresion throughout. Classic Megadeth lyrics, improved some. 10. How The Story Ends: not real sure what this one is about...but the lyrics are nothing special. the vocal talents aren't anything great either. A mediocre song, vocally and lyrically. 11. The Right To Go Insane: nice bass at the beginning, very catchy. The vocals are just as catchy, the lyrics are very well thought out. Overall, one of the best vocal performances by Mustaine, but lyrically, he could've done so much better. // 8

Overall Impression: 01. Dialectic Chaos: an instrumental, that's something that Megadeth hasn't done in a while. It was a good move to put it at the opening slot of the album. it is true guitar work. 9/10 02. This Day We Fight!: precedes Dialectic Chaos, amazing job by the whole band, especially the drums, holy crap no one notices the complexity of his drumming, probably because the guitar work is just amazing. There are so many solos in this song, it's utterly breathtaking. Nothing has been done like this by Megadeth. One of the songs I wish that they would play live. 10/10 03. 44 Minutes: if the lyrics weren't so crappy, i would probably like this song a lot better. Nice chugging at the verses, then the melodic chorus, and another song with a billion solos. Good song, just crappy lyrics. 8.5/10 04. 1,320': my personal favorite on the album, that riff is legendary to me. They opened with this song when I saw them in Grand Rapids, the first show of their Endgame tour. I even got my Endgame copy signed by Mustaine and Broderick. Anyway, I'm getting sidetracked. 1,320 is a thrashy song, but has a nice punk feeling to it. the lyrics are some of the best on the album, and they're only in the song for 2 minutes. Once the second chorus is done, a crazy drum riff comes in to introduce the wrath of the solos that are to come. The ending solo is sweet, and ends with a drag car zooming by. An amazing guitar performance. 10/10 05. Bite The Hand: this song also has terrible lyrics, but the guitar riffs are extremely catchy. A song that got stuck in my head for 2 weeks, and it will get you too. 8.5/10 06. Bodies: this song is nothing special, except for the bass in the verse is pretty sweet. The worst song on the album. 7/10 07. Endgame: the most inventive intro on the album, with Dave's voice shining through. The guitar is extreme groove metal. After the first chorus, the guitar picks up at full speed chugging, which is truly amazing. The sweetest part of it is the end with Dave shouting through the darkness of government with some of the best lyrics on the album. Sweet guitar work, power chords everywhere. 9.5/10 08. The Hardest Part Of Letting Go: the ballad of the album, I think they tried a little too hard to recreate A Tout Le Monde. This song doesn't even scratch the surface of A Tout Le Monde. Nice chugging after the intro, it's a brilliant riff that goes along with the violins, but the lyrics are steamy crap. The solo is nothing special either. Strangely though, it's an addictive song. I think this should've been a longer song. 7.5/10 09. Head Crusher: the best song on the album, and it's the thrashiest. too. That opening riff will be remembered as Megadeth's best guitar work. Amazing lyric, sweet drums, with the doble kicking during the chorus. This is strangely one of the only songs that doesn't have a solo after the first chorus. Clocking in at 3:26, it's a short song that will blow you away. I can't really tell what's going on with the bass though, it's kind of hard to tell when you're focusing on the guitar a little too much. 10/10 10. How The Story Ends: the guitar is all over the place, which isn't necessarily a good thing in this case. It's a good listen once and you're done with it. 7/10 11. The Right To Go Insane: good opening riif by the bass, very catchy song. The lyrics, once again, are very well thought out. The drums are very simple, but the bass drum beat ,atches the song in every way. A song solely for Megadeth fans. 8.5/10 Overall, instrumentally, this is in the ranks of Rust In Peace, lyrically, not so much. The only thing i was disappointed in with was the lyrics. If it were stolen or lost, I would definitely buy it again, because mine is signed! I would be sooo pissed off! // 9

EndGame Reviewed by: shoot2kill00, on march 05, 2010

Sound: This is Megadeth's 12th studio album, and as with its previous 2 albums, The System has Failed and United Abominations, Endgame is a straight up thrash metal album. It is Megadeth's first album with guitarist Chris Broderick, who whilst being impeccable at replicating solos live, never quite has the creative edge of marty or chris poland. To me Chris's solos are exhibits of technical prowess rather than any great melodic genius. Not so with Dave, who whilst not being able to compete with chris technically, all his solos are unique and fit the songs perfectly. As always, Dave Mustaine IS Megadeth, delivering ferocious riffs and mind blowing solos as prolifically as ever. // 8

Lyrics: Lyrically, Dave Mustaine is as outspoken as ever, singing about topics such as the recession in "The Right to go Insane" and the politics of the Bush administration in "Endgame". He also deals with less controversial issues, singing about top fuel drag racing in "1,320" and medieval torture in "Headcrusher". The lyrics fit the music perfectly, as we have come to expect with megadeth. Also, I don't care what anybody says, Dave Mustaine is one of the great metal vocalists, and his trademark snarling has defined megadeth for nearly 27 years. In this album Dave's vocals are more growly than in his early albums, but hey, he's 48 years old, and they still sound good and really fit the mood of the peace. // 9

Overall Impression: My favourite songs would be "44 minutes", "Bodies" (it is worth listening to just for the dual guitar harmonies), "Head Crusher" and "The Right to go Insane". The only song I don't particularly care for is "The hardest part of letting go". The lyrics are good, but the guitar work isn't as exciting as on some other tracks, and it is one song where Mustaine's aggressive vocal style doesn't really work. I have heard it compared to "In my Darkest Hour", but for me it is not a fair comparison, as In My Darkest Hour was for me a much more rounded song, and it fitted togerther much more nicely. But other than that it is a good album. Perhaps it is a shame as it is 27 years since Dave was fired from the band, but the inevitable comparison will be with Metallica's Death Magnetic, which attempted to get back to Metallica's old thrash sound. Like DM, this album grows on you the more you listen to it, but I would say that this is a superior album to Metallica's effort. If it was stolen/lost, I would go and buy another copy. What else would I do really? Homocide seems a tad excessive over a CD really... I would recommend this album to anyone considering buying it, as it is a more than commendable effort by a band of whom we have come to expect so much. // 8

EndGame Reviewed by: carlosthegr8, on july 26, 2010

Sound: the megadeth sound has always been unique, from Dave's singing style down to the ridiculously complicated riffs. I have liked megadeth for a while and I started to like them a lot more after playing guitar, anyway I will now start. After listening to a lot of their early stuff I noticed a big change in the guitar sound. It's has more bass and is generally more tighter and less crunchy. Besides that I haven't really noticed a difference apart from the better production due to modern day tech. I feel that the guitar solo's take over a bit at times but no one's complaining. I not really sure what the story behind this album is about, the lyrics are mostly about death, coruption and world order failing. // 7

Lyrics: I will start off say Dave's lyrical style is it's own thing, it's just dave that's all. The lyric's all fit the song's structure and it their own way. The lyrics them self's are pretty depressing at time for example the opening lyric to one track is 'This thing called life goes by so quickly, one day your here then your gone', It's just a bit to deep for me. There is a very slow song about love, This was not a great thing for megadeth, megadeth should just stay metal and thrash I can't really say much about this song, it's acoustic and the lyrics are soft but didn't cut it for me of any one of my friends... So I deleted it. // 7

Overall Impression: It all honesty the more I listen to this album the more I dislike it. I don't really know why apart from the lyrical turn. The most impessive track the for me was 44 minutes or head crusher apart from that I didn't really like it. If I was stolen I would have say good-bye for ever. I'm just gonna stick to peace sells and rust in peace. // 6

EndGame Reviewed by: CoreyDanielsx, on january 04, 2012

Sound: At first listen I really didn't care for this album and I am a huge Megadeth fan. Just like I always do I buy there CD and drive around in my car listening to it and I couldn't get into this CD. After a few attempts I realized I wasn't giving it a fair chance hoping for another "United Abominations". The album I wont call there best but it wont have you turned off by Megadeth either. From start to finish the album flows nicely with only a couple of tracks I couldn't get into. Chris Broderick made is Megadeth debut on this album and you can notice his presence on it and people can finally stop thinking about how great it was when they had Marty Friedman in the band. This album is the last with producer Andy Sneap only because he could fit the timeframe the band needed to do there follow up in. // 7

Lyrics: 01. "Dialectic Chaos": This song is a blazing insturmental. I quickly found myself speeding when listening to this song in the car. In my opinion, this song has the same vibe you would find in a in a In Flames instrumental possibly to the fact of them touring together on the Gigantour but the best part comes at the end when you realize its more of an extended intro for the next track "This Day We Fight". 02. "This Day We Fight": You can't notice a change in songs between "Dialectic Chaos" it comes in hard fast and in your face if you weren't banging your head on the last track you should be by now. Many people would try to relate this to other Megadeth tracks but I find that to be impossible showing that Megadeth is changing with the times and in a good way, The only downside is the lyrics seem to be crammed together, if Dave's lyrics didn't fit he made them fit. 03. "44 Minutes": Ok its about time to give your head banging a break your more likely to be shaking your head wondering what's up with this song. While the music Is Very stompy and heavy the lyrics which are about the North Hollywood shootout fall far short from even the worst of Mustaine's lyrics. When I talked about Dave making lyrics fit during "This Day We Fight" he pryed these ones in with a crowbar and it still don't work good. Besides the lyrics being off the music is the best part of this track the bass thumps heavily the guitars screech what else could you ask for in thrash music. 04. "1,320": This adrenaline cranking song starts up with an engine reving up which is a perfect intro for this track written about drag racing, the riffing on this song reminds you of something from "Rust In Peace" or maybe a better produced Track from "Killing Is My Business". The lyrics seem to flow perfectly for this track unlike "44 Minutes", throw in a ripping solo and you got yourself one amazing Megadeth track. 05. "Bite The Hand": Another track that sounds like it would be on "Rust In Peace" but with hints of there more recent albums. This track titled bite the hand talks of the financial crisis the united states went threw from 2007 to 2010, everything about this song just works and reminds me of "Foreclosure Of A Dream Part 2" the heavier sequel. 06. "Bodies": Megadeth adds a little more melody then most on this album with "Bodies", a very catchy chorus and melodic lead work, this song could get even non Megadeth Fans to give it a second listen. 07. "Endgame": The title track from this album, speaking of George Bush's plan to insert a chip into all U.S. citizens, what I like about this song is it has a very thick plot with the lyrics similar to "44 Minutes" but Dave didn't overstuff the turkey this time and the lyrics have a good flow to them. Musically the song is simple but not boring and the duo play some amazing solo's, this song would be a success even without lyrics. 08. "The Hardest Part Of Letting Go... Sealed With A Kiss": Continuing with Dave's love to add acoustic work to at least one song almost every album this song has a flamenco guitar feel which guitarist Chris Broderick can be seen playing all over the internet. The songs lyrics are great but with all slow Megadeth songs some may not favor Dave's singing style, not long into The song picks up and anyone can relate to this song who has had problems with a loved one, the only song I could relate this one to from Megadeth would be promised off there album "The World Needs A Hero". 09. "Headcrusher": Mix together fast lead driven riffs from "Holy Wars" and "Washington Is Next" then add in Dave's growl put a hot chick in the video and you get "Headcrusher" the first single from "Endgame". This song speaks for itself and was nominated for a Grammy for best metal performance, gives even single junkies a reason to buy the album. 10. "How The Story Ends": This song would of been an awesome track to end the album with and I don't know why they didn't choose to, the lyrics and melody remind me a lot of "Ashes In Your Mouth" and "The Disintegrators". Another track I have no complaints about the riffs are catchy The chorus is easy to fall into a groove with. Another A+ for Megadeth. 11. "The Right To Go Insane": The closing track and second video released for the album, the title explains it all how many Americans can't afford to live enen while working 2 jobs and the insanity it causes, This song happens to be my favorite from the album anything you ask for from Megadeth is in it, great lyrics crunchy guitar riffs and amazing solo's. The video also features old bassist David Ellefson who just recently rejoined Megadeth after there current bassist James Lomenzo (White Lion/Black Label Society). // 8

Overall Impression: As I mentioned earlier I couldn't get into this piece of work at first but soon came around to a favorable opinion and not til just now re-listening to it to do this review have I realized how good this album actual is. The song "44 Minutes" in my opinion will make many fans turn there heads but the singles "Headcrusher" and "The Right To Go Insane" will get those same fans Banging there heads again, even though I would place this towards the end of the list of best Megadeth albums its still a great album I just personally feel it doesn't stick out more then other Megadeth releases. // 7

More Megadeth reviews rating latest review
+ Killing Is My Business... And Business Is Good! 8.7 06/06/2013