Greatest Hits: Back To The Start Review

megadeth: Greatest Hits: Back To The Start
Release Date: Jun 28, 2005
Label: Capitol
Genres: Heavy Metal, Thrash, Alternative Metal
If you're just curious and would like a broad one-disc sampler, Greatest Hits is your ticket.
 Lyrics: 8.7
 8.9
 8.7
Greatest Hits: Back To The Start Reviewed by: Rattlehead666, on october 24, 2005

Sound: As many of you Megadeth fans kno this is their second greatest hits album. You can get the normal version of this album or you can get the special edition version which contains a DVD with the Kill The King video and it also contains the trailer for their Arsenal Of Megadeth DVD. This cd was also voted by the fans. The music is great, mainly because it's all there best songs even there are a two that should have been taken out and they are A Tout Le Monde and Trust. The songs that should be there are Rust In Peace, Tornado Of Souls, Bad Omen and Skull Beneath The Skin. I would give this a 10. // 10

Lyrics: Many people ain't real big fans of Dave's vocals in the '80s but I don't think that there that bad there pretty good. Dave got better through out the years. I like his vocals best in Rust In Peace and Countdown To Extiction. // 9

Overall Impression: Well I can't realy compare this album to any other CD seeing this is a greatest hits CD. The most songs on the album to me are Holy Wars... The Punishment Due (RIP), In My Darkest Hour (SFSGSW) and Peace Sells (PSBWB). The title of the album Back To The Start is actually a line taken from their song Rust In Peace Polaris. Overall I think this is a great CD. // 10

Greatest Hits: Back To The Start Reviewed by: geetarman3421, on october 27, 2005

Sound: The sound is basically all of Megadeth's best songs according to fan polls. All the songs are remixed and remastered personally by Dave Mustaine. To those of you born yesterday, Megadeth is one of the original thrash metal bands in the '80s. Personally, I don't like the sound on some of the tracks that were from Megadeth's later albums but most of the songs are Megadeth at its best. // 9

Lyrics: Megadeth's lyrics are mainly socially conscious but there are a few songs that are about Dave's personal problems. The music really goes well with the lyrics and enhance the experience. // 10

Overall Impression: This is probably one of the best records Megadeth has to offer but a few songs like "Tornado Of Souls" and "Rust In Piece" didn't make the cut but classics like "Peace Sells," "Holy Wars" and "Hangar 18" are on the disc. If it were stolen I'd be surprised because it is either in my CD case or my player. // 10

Greatest Hits: Back To The Start Reviewed by: a real DEAD one, on january 14, 2006

Sound: Megadeth is just crazy, shredding and sweet vocals, its just amazing. Megadeth, I my opinion is way greater than Metallica, becuase theier guitar playing is not foused on just one key, usually B or A. Megadeth widens that range and puts amazing solos in using insane stuff. This is a greatest hits album, and the hits on this CD are truley great. This is a hardcore thrash/heavy metal record, amazing solos, amazing lyrics and Mustaine is a living god. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are focused on government coverups and the sort. And the music all blends in together to form this perfect band called Megadeth. I've actually used some of Megadeth's lyrics in several reports as quotes. Some people could say that Dave Mustaine isn't much of a singer but he actually is a good one, I belive he sings better then the generic trash metal, Hetfield's vocals. // 10

Overall Impression: Megadeth wins over Metallica any day, The only band I like just a bit better than Megadeth is Iron Maiden. Sonce this is a greatest hits albums they are all really insane songs. My favorite are Holy Wars... The Punishment Due, My Darkest Hour, A Tout Le Monde, Sweating Bullets, Peace Sells, and Trust, there are a bunch of other insane songs too. I love the guitars, the vocals, they whole method to Megadeth and their lyrics. I only hate that Marty Friedman doesn't play guitar for them anymore. I would buy this CD if it was stolen or lost, becuase to get all these hits on one cd is damn near impossible. // 10

Greatest Hits: Back To The Start Reviewed by: Busproof, on october 28, 2008

Sound: This is a true to the name greatest hits albums, spanning many different time periods of Megadeth's career, albeit with more focus on the later section of their discography (Countdown to Extinction<). However, overall, it's a good compilation. It does contain many of their greatest hits perse, but not always their greatest songs. However, that's purely a matter of opinion. Still, it's true to it's name. // 8

Lyrics: Typical Megadeth-faire, many songs containing lyrics about political topics, as well as a bit of everything else for the fans. You get to see Dave's voice in many different stages of his career on the album, watching the evolution from Killing Is My Business... all the way up to The World Needs a Hero (the most recent album at the time). The lyrics fit the music well in all cases, and Dave's voice obviously suits the overall musical style of the group. // 9

Overall Impression: Being a Greatest Hits album containing tracks that were voted by the fans, you can't expect to hear every song you like on this one disc. It's a shame that there couldn't be more stuff from their early thrash metal days, with many of the tracks being off of Countdown to Extinction, and it's prior albums. However, it's not a bad compilation. Many of their live staples made the cut, such as Hangar 18, and Holy Wars, as well as several of their catchier tracks like Symphony of Destruction and A Tout Le Monde, and, as said earlier, you get a good sample of many different time periods and albums. Would I suggest it to a first time listener? Perhaps. I'd personally rather a newcomer hear Peace Sells... But Who's Buying or Rust in Peace in their entirety first, but it's all a matter of opinion. If stolen or lost, I'd probably not get it again, merely because I already own several of the albums that the tracks on this album are from, and would rather hear each album individually than with select tracks from each. Good album, though. // 8

Greatest Hits: Back To The Start Reviewed by: Silver Bullet, on december 28, 2005

Sound: Well it is Mustaine producing this album and we all know how Mustaine is really anal about every note on albums. They all have to be heard perfectly even when he plays live I've noticed that too. One of the tightest guitarist out there. I like it when he strives for perfection. Awesome sound quality and the remastering was not overdone. This album is a great gateway to metal for anybody that needs a taste of it. I am sure you will enjoy this album. I listened to the album twice because it sounded so good. One song I was disappointed with that did not get remastered was Mechanix. I was looking for a phone number on the CD to call the producers that they forgot to remaster mechanix or is it just my CD. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics stayed the same. Nothing new here although his voice has gotten better, but he still squeals in some songs which reminds you of the early albums. // 9

Overall Impression: I ranked this album underneath RIP, PSBWB, SFSGSW, and TSHF. 5th place I think. Most of songs sound the same not a lot of changes were done just better sound. If this was stolen I would just stay with my old albums. I would scrap the song Prince Of Darkness and put 5 magics or something else. Waste of space in my opinion and releasing it in another album would be a good idea. // 8

Greatest Hits: Back To The Start Reviewed by: Shreddin 4 Life, on october 06, 2006

Sound: This was literally (and unfortunately) the first full-length Megadeth album I bought & heard; and consequently got me heavily into the band. Lots of great guitar work of course, which are only the really impressive elements of 'Deth. However, everything is in such good sync, that you can't help but love the overall style of them. From the thrashy guitar solos, to Dave's distinctive vocals, I think Megadeth's choice of songs on this compilation were really good. The tunes on this album range from the earliest to some of the latest Megadeth tunes, which range from a very rough-sounding, old-school thrash sound ( la "Kill 'Em All" by Metallica) up to a really refined heavy metal sound. Lots of great riffage present as well, involving syncopation, chromatics and even dissonant note selections at times, it just can't be beat in my opinion. And of course, solos from the likes of Chris Poland, Jeff Young & arguably one of the greatest guitarists ever (at least within the thrash/shred genres): Marty Friedman. // 10

Lyrics: Dave Mustaine has always been renowned for his guitar work of course, but his vocals aren't half bad. He doesn't have an operatic range in he least, but he is an excellent lyricist; songs like "Peace Sells" and "Symphony Of Destruction" etc... are greatly political and therefore really speak to the general public and society. A lot of the lyrics are very meaningful and heartfelt for the most part and really carry imporatant messages which can often make you think (in the case of "A Tout Le Monde"). Dave Mustaine has really made a name for himself in terms of "sticking it to the man" and "revolting against society" over the years, starting from the very begining of his career with Megadeth, dubbed "Killing Is My Business... And Business Is Good." Few lyricists can come up with effective lyrics of this kind, but Dave really pulls it off. // 8

Overall Impression: Being the first real taste of Megadeth I received, this really left an impression on me. However, this album seems to work as a teaser of some kind. A few of my favourite Megadeth songs don't even appear on this album, and in order to really get to know Megadeth, you'd have to explore a lot of their albums from the past. My favourite songs on this particular album however are "Hangar 18", "A Tout Le Monde" & "Skin Of My Teeth". Also, I can't seem to get enough of "She-Wolf". A lot of the songs are really great though, so the whole album is really an investment; especially if you want to explore the sounds of Megadeth without buying like, 9 to 10 albums trying to find the best era of theirs (each of which are very easy to pin-point through this album). One thing I must say (negatively) about this album is that after getting into earlier releases of theirs, I was disappointed to find out that some songs appeared on this album that it could have done without & others didn't that should have; but then again, that's what a "teaser album" seems to do anyways. If I lost this album, I wouldn't replace it; I'd buy all the other Megadeth albums instead! // 9

Greatest Hits: Back To The Start Reviewed by: sturm, on january 29, 2007

Sound: Before I heard this album, I was a die hard Metallica fan. The mere thought of listening to Megadeth used to send a course of revulsion through my body that can't really be explained really well in words. Hence, until I was given this CD for my birthday from friend I never heard a Megadeth song. This was the last CD I listened to from the collection of CDs my friends gave me. But, this was probably the best! From the first song to the last I was enthralled. I was shocked, awed, and downright angry at myself for never making the effort to listen to them before. I was reading the newspaper when I first popped it into the CD player. When the first riff from Holy Wars/The Punishment Due played, my eyes literally widened and I immediately devoted all my attention to the CD. I listened to the whole CD twice that day. My personal favorites have to be Holy Wars/ The Punishment Due, Trust, A Tout le Monde, and Kill the King. I also liked (although not as much) Symphony Of Destruction and to a lesser extent Skin O' My Teeth. My personal opinion now is that Kirk Hammet can kiss Marty Friedman's ass. // 10

Lyrics: From what I understood, the lyrics were very society oriented, with lots of mentions of political cover ups and what not. I didn't really pay much attention to the lyrics, the music was way more enthralling in any case. I think Trust was about Mustaine's personal problem, at least that's what I think it was after seeing the video. A bit emo perhaps (but the main riff on that track more that covers up for it). I didn't really like the singing style. I prefer other trash singers. However, I did think his voice was really suited to the song Kill The King. But that was the only song. // 6

Overall Impression: I loved almost everything about this album. I'm definitely going to buy some of their original releases instead of sticking with the Greatest Hits collection. Megadeth definitely rocks harder than Metallica is my opinion now. Trust and Holy Wars are just infectious. I just need to listen to the songs once a day to have it stuck in my head for the rest of the day. If it was stolen, I think I'd coax my friend to buy me another one, hunt down the theif, or buy the other albums since this was only a compilation CD anyway. // 9

Greatest Hits: Back To The Start Reviewed by: Griffer38, on january 29, 2007

Sound: Wow. That's the first word I thought of when I first listened to this CD. Sometimes greatest hits CDs suck, but this is a really good CD, especially if you've never listened to Megadeth before. You're immediately introduced to the type of music you'll hear with "Holy Wars... The Punishment Due". The whole CD is filled with shredding guitar solos and an indescribable edginess. Dave Mustaine is a very talented musician. He is probably the greatest guitarist I've ever heard. Not every song is great on here. Once you get used to the brutality in a few songs, you're going to be caught off guard when they go a little bit softer in songs like "A Tout Le Monde". Altogether, though, the music's pretty awesome stuff. // 9

Lyrics: One of the reasons I started listening to Megadeth is that I heard Dave Mustaine had become a Christian. Some of his lyrics sound like he was looking for God. Others look like he's intent on bashing government. He really wrote thoughtful lyrics, unlike some bands who write drug-induced words or all about girls. There's obviously going to be songs about destruction. It's a metal band. But Dave's very sly about it. He gives his thoughts of what modern government has done to the world. "Symphony of Destruction" is one of those types of songs. One of my favorite lyrics is from "Dread and the Fugitive Mind" where he's portraying someone who knows he's doing evil in the world, and he's questioning whether or not there will be judgement for it in the afterlife. Dave is quite a good singer for this kind of music, too. He's got a voice that's a little rough, but can be highly versatile. // 9

Overall Impression: Overall, this is a very good collection of Megadeth's best. Since this is my first taste from this band, I can't tell you what else should or shouldn't be in this list, but I thought that almost every song was good. Almost all of the songs were really good, but my personal favorites were "Dread and the Fugitive Mind", "Hangar 18", and "Symphony Of Destruction". I just love the brutal guitars and countless guitar solos. It's just such a great introduction to Megadeth. If you've never listened to them before, this would be a great place to start. // 10

Greatest Hits: Back To The Start Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 27, 2007

Sound: Obviously this is a recount of the bands hits and to some people misses (Prince of darkness). A great selection of songs throught the bands musical history (Peace Sells, Symphony of Destruction), another great thing is they kick the album of with Holy Wars... And The Punishment Due which in my and many other peoples opinions is a milestone in megadeths lifespan. A must have for new and just introduced megadeth fans as it's this was one of the biggest influences along with exodus and slayer that turned me onto metal. Also a great part of this is my favorite line up of megadeth is showcased on this album (the rust in piece/countdown to extinction era). // 10

Lyrics: Well basically it's just lyrics from songs off other albums so I guess you would need to see the reviews on the albums that the songs were on but in my opinion each songs lyrics are kick ass and bring their own special trait to the table. Dave has always been a genious at signing skills and this album perfectly demonstrates these talents and finnaly my opinion is megadeth is like a puzzle, daves vocals is a piece, the melodic guitars are another piece, the bass is a piece and the drummer is a piece, all are needed to complete this. // 10

Overall Impression: Not much decent bands nowadays don't have best ofs that mainsteamers would know about (not saying that mainstream is better, I'm just saying about metal introductions) but we can still hope people will stumble upon this album. I love the fact that this album features the best songs these guys made but what downs me is songs like 99 ways to die, go to hell, crush em & insomnia (from risk I know but it's friggin catchy) but none the less the great songs were still showcased. And to answer the stolen and lost question well I would probably go buy all megadeths albums if this happened but if money was a bitch I'd go buy it again. // 10

Greatest Hits: Back To The Start Reviewed by: Rushman1995, on october 29, 2010

Sound: Well, the sound of this album is greatm, due to the fact that all of these are their best. Choosing the songs to go on here must have been tought since Megadeth has some really thrashy songs and heavy songs. Megadeth was notible for changing their sound thourout the years so you can hear some of the sound changes while listening to this album. So much emotion, energy, and rage in these songs, great Megadeth album for sure. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics, as stated ealier, were amazing. Not going to lie but some Megadeth lyrics are bland. Their older material had a better guitar and sound to it then lyrics, their middle aged stuff was specatular, their new stuff has great (more in depth) lyrics, because they are older and with more life expericance, that's the way I see it. // 7

Overall Impression: Overall, this album woul dbe one I'd pop in my cars CD Player and jam to while driving to school or work. It's jus (*that*) good. I'd like to share my thoughts about some of the songs too. Holy Wars: Great song! One of Megadeth's finest of songs. Very heavy and rythmic. The verses are full of fast paced guitar and drums, the chorus is an epidemic, and (my favorite part) the bridge, which gives the whole song a new vibe, a darker vibe. The acoustic solo was very theory based and fast. The ending guitar solo as done by Dave Mustaine what brilliant, that really shows that Dave can really bust some lead licks and is not just the typical rythem player and vocalist. Hangar 18: Hangar 18 is (if not exact) to "The Call of Ktulu" by Metallica, allow me to explain the song(s) story (to all who didn't know), Back when Dave Mustine was in Metallica with James, Lars, and Cliff, Dave wrote this song maily by himself called "The Call of Ktulu", and what happened with that was, after they had recorded that trackon the "Ride The Lightning" album, Dave was fired, thus, leaving his song to Metallica, so then Dave wrote another song playing the called "Hangar 18" sounds simialr then changes up later in the song. To all guitar players, you may have noticed that in "Ktulu" the chords were arpeggiated, and "Hangar" was actually played the whole chord. So that's that. Sound wise, I like Ktulu better because it just has a better sound to it. She-Wolf: This song is a very thrashy, stright forward song. It's wrist killer of an intro riff is very well executed by Dave with the gallops and down picking. The chorus riff is very nice and theorized, the solo at the ending is fliud sounding and relatively easy for imtermediate guitar players. // 8

More Megadeth reviews rating latest review
+ Super Collider 6.4 09/06/2013