Hidden Treasures Review

megadeth: Hidden Treasures
Release Date: Jul 18, 1995
Genres: Thrash, Heavy Metal, Speed Metal, Progressive Metal
Label: Capitol
Culled from various soundtracks and tribute albums, and featuring a new cover of the Sex Pistols' "Problems", Hidden Treasures may have a number of rare tracks.
 8.9
 9.5
 8.2
Hidden Treasures Reviewed by: The Crab420, on october 17, 2012

Sound: Oh boy, where do I start with this record it is an under-rated album to say the least. Megadeth made an impression on me with this record I have been a fan of them since I can remember (except for the abomination that is the risk album) but I digress. The sound was awesome from the deep bass that would hit in any system with the song "Diadems". The song 99 ways to die was another gem that was in here with the way Dave and Marty ripped it apart with them riffs but now the only complaint that I have with this particular album is that cover of "No More Mr. Nice Guy" do not get me wrong they did do it justice but they could have gave it a heavier more Megadeth edge to it. The last thing I wanna touch upon with this album is that of the drumming it really resonated with me when you hear Menza just go to town it really makes me wanna get up and fight but at the same time the mixing with the cymbals was a little too clear and almost hurt the ears if you had headphone in. // 9

Lyrics: Dave Mustaine as any Megadeth fan will tell you that he did not want to be the singer of the band he just kinda did it when he couldn't find anyone to do it for him. Now the lyrical content in this album again is just a shock and really makes you think as with all Megadeth songs if you have the intellect to understand what the song is really driving at. The another little thing Dave and the band is known for doing is putting in little talking points like in "Breakpoint" it really drove the song home about some one that is insane it just adds more to the song. The only negative thing lyrical wise is again a "No More Mr. Nice Guy" it just something didn't seem to click fully with this song. // 8

Overall Impression: This album is a must buy if you are a fan into Speed/Thrash metal because you are not just copping out with being like every other SOB in the world that only buys the most known albums out there and does not want to broaden there horizons musical wise. If find that this review makes you want to buy the album the the absolute must hear songs is "99 Ways To Die", "Diadems", and there cover of "Paranoid". The band got it right when they named this album "Hidden Treasures" because that is what it is. The love with this album is endless, the only dislike that is in this album is honestly the fact that it only has 8 tracks on it I wish that it was longer but what you will pay for it at any used CD store makes it worth it because it is a cheaper buy now-a-days. This is one album that I would recommend to anyone that wants to be more into Megadeth and wants to hear more of there less commercial stuff. // 9

Hidden Treasures Reviewed by: Rattlehead666, on november 19, 2005

Sound: This album is pretty good even though at first I didn't like it. It has a few covers which are No More Mr. Nice Guy (Alice Cooper), Paranoid (Black Sabbath) and Problems (Sex Pistols). The other songs are Go To Hell, Angry Again, 99 Ways To Die, Breakpoint and Diadems. They are all great songs. The bass to Go To Hell is cool. 99 Ways To Die and Breakpoint are propely the two best songs on the whole album. // 10

Lyrics: My favorite lyrics in this album are in Go To Hell when Dave Mustaine says "No I Lay Me down To Sleep, Blah Blah Blah My Soul To Keep, If I Die Before I Wake, I'll Go to Hell For Heaven Sake." I also like the lyrics to Black Sabbath's Paranoid and Paranoid is also one of my favorite Black sabbath songs. Dave Mustaine is one of the best thrash metal vocalists of all time. // 10

Overall Impression: Each song comes from somewhere else which makes this a complication: 01. No More Mr. Nice Guy - comes from the Shocker Soundtrack. 02. Breakpoint - comes from the Super Mario Soundtrack. 03. Go To Hell - comes from Bill And Ted's Bogus Journey Sountrack. 04. Angry Again - comes from the Last Action Hero Soundtrack. 05. 99 Ways To Die - comes from The Beavis And Butthead Expierence. 06. Paranoid - comes from the Nativity In Black Tribute To Black Sabbath. 07. Diadems - comes from Tales From The Crypt Demon Night Soundtrack. 08. Problems - comes from the A Toute Le Monda Promo. The two most impressive songs on the album are 99 Ways To Die and Breakpoint. This is a pretty cool album and I hope other people think that to. // 10

Hidden Treasures Reviewed by: unregistered, on august 29, 2011

Sound: This EP has great production, therefore it has great sound. All of these tracks trace back to some soundtrack or single, and it is convenient that Megadeth threw them all onto one compilation, other than having to hunt down each record to find each track. As usual, Megadeth have their thrash metal sound, although some tracks have that hard rock feel to them. // 10

Lyrics: Great lyrics, they go great with the frantic guitars and pounding drums (The prayer in 'Go To Hell' was actually used by Megadeth before Metallica!). Dave has his snarling voice, and that goes well with the music. // 9

Overall Impression: Yeah, this does compare to any rarities compilation (Attack Of The Killer B's, Garage Inc.). The most impressive songs are Go To Hell, Breakpoint, No More Mr Nice Guy, and the bonus tracks, New World Order and the Symphony Of Destruction demo (If you play guitar [why would you be on this sight if not], check out this song for the extended solo). I don't hate anything about this album, and if it were stolen or lost (which it couldn't, because I bought it on iTunes), I would download it again? // 10

More Megadeth reviews rating latest review
+ Super Collider 6.4 09/06/2013