Killing Is My Business... And Business Is Good! Review

artist: megadeth date: 06/06/2013 category: compact discs
megadeth: Killing Is My Business... And Business Is Good!
Release Date: Jun 12, 1985
Genres: Thrash Metal, Heavy Metal, Speed Metal, Progressive Metal
Label: Combat
The music here is as raw as Megadeth gets, and that can be both good and bad.
 Lyrics: 8.2
 8.7
Killing Is My Business... And Business Is Good! Reviewed by: face_the_slayer, on december 27, 2007

Sound: Megadeth: lead by the charismatic 'Mad Dog' Dave Mustaine, rhythm guitarist/singer extraordinaire. They started out in 1983 when Mustaine was unceremoniously thrown out from Metallica (in the middle of NYC, no less! ) and replaced with Kirk Hammett (who, ironically, is still there today). By 1985, they'd finally put together enough music to produce an album, which they were given only $8000 to do so with. However, half of it went for either booze or drugs, so production quality, even on the remastered version, is poor. First and foremost on the CD you'll recognize that this is not the Megadeth of the Nineties, most of the work here is flat-out speed metal. Two guitarists Dave Mustaine and Chris Poland, along with bassist Dave Ellefson and drummer Gar Samuelson (RIP) shred through this often-underrated album. Poland, especially, solos like a madman in such treats as the demonically fast climax, 'Rattlehead', though Mustaine's rhythm guitar is much like that of a lead player. 'Loved To Deth' is a song with a time signature of what seems like 7/4 (or 4/4, followed by 3/4) and a piano intro that is rarely heard but one I consider a good, fast, shred-fest. 'Looking Down The Cross' is a sad-sounding epic about Jesus looking down from his final position, starting out slow then ending in a cacophony of shreddage. 'Mechanix' is Mustaine's version of 'The Four Horsemen', a song he co-wrote with Metallica before he left. 'These Boots', a cover of 'These Boots Are Made For Walkin'', is actually a good tune (fast! ), unlike Children of Bodom's cover of 'Oops... I Did It Again', unfortunately, it is bleeped out (reasons unknown), which is pretty pointless because it's mostly tame. The only low point here is 'Chosen Ones', a song written about the Killer Rabbit in Monty Python and the Holy Grail. Complaints: Mustaine's whiny vocals, bad production quality, bleeped version of These Boots, Chosen Ones, often indistinguishable Chris Poland solos. // 9

Lyrics: Aside from the rather whiny vocals of Dave Mustaine when he sings (especially when one is used to the growls abundant in Symphony of Destruction and Sweating Bullets), the lyrics of KIMB are rather good, if not as interesting as those from fellow thrashers Slayer. 'Loved To Deth' tells about an angry youth who kills a girl he loved so no one else can have her (hence, the title). The title track talks about an assassin who is employed to kill someone. Then he is hired to kill his previous employer ("Proud to say my next job is you). This is complete with a sing-along chorus in the end much like that in the end of Peace Sells. 'The Skull Beneath The Skin' tells about the sacrifice of a victim for a pagan ritual (obviously, with Dave's recent 'conversion', it's not a stage favorite anymore). Lyrics tell about what Vic Rattlehead will look like ("Metal caps his ears-he'll hear not what we say, a solid steel visor across his eyes"). 'Rattlehead' describes a typical 'Megadethbanger'. 'Chosen Ones' is about the Killer Rabbit from Monty Python and the Holy Grail, and though the song isn't outstanding, the lyrics are humorous. 'Looking Down The Cross', a song full of sadness, describes Jesus's last thoughts while, well, looking down the cross. Finally, 'Mechanix' tells about a mechanic in love with a woman who could "turn screws better than me". The lyrics aren't as good as those in Metallica's 'The Four Horsemen' (which Mustaine also wrote), but the song is sped up and harder-rocking than the Metallica version. // 8

Overall Impression: Scott Ian (of Anthrax) says the KIMB is the best out of the Big Four (of Thrash Metal)'s four debut albums (Metallica's Kill 'Em All in 1983, Slayer's Show No Mercy, same year, and Anthrax's Fistful of Metal, again, in 1983), and I must agree. The gap between it and Kill 'Em All and Show No Mercy is close, and like the others, it's crude, but faster than Kill 'Em All and guitars are more distorted, giving it a harder sound. It also sounds like it's own music, instead of the Iron Maiden/Venom sound of Show No Mercy and the sped-up Judas Priest sound of Fistful. Overall, it's a hard-rocking CD which introduced Megadeth into the thrash arena and most of the songs on it are good ones. It's not a perfect ten, nor nine, (if 'These Boots' was unbleeped, maybe), but it's a solid thrasher, perhaps almost as good as the band's release Rust In Peace. "Don't wear no leather to fit in, don't wear no spikes to be cool, don't want no woman beside him, just make it fast, loud, and rude" (Rattlehead). It is a fitting description of the unpolished yet amazing early Megadeth sound. // 8

Killing Is My Business... And Business Is Good! Reviewed by: Rattlehead666, on october 25, 2005

Sound: Well this was the debut album and the start of one of the greatest thrash metal bands of all time, Megadeth! Although this isn't there best album ever it still compares to any other debut album from any metal band. One song I find realy impressive is Mechanix because if you are also a Metallica fan you may notice that Mechanix and The Four Horsemen are very similar to each other besides the lyrics. Mechanix is the original version of the song and if you don't believe me buy the Garage Inc. album and read the booklet. It states somewhere that Mechanix was a blueprint of The Four Horsemen. I also like the song Killing Is My Business... And business Is Good. The part I ain't a big fan of is the introduction to the song Last Rites/Loved To Death with the piano. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics are not bad. I like the lyrics to Killing Is My Business... And Business Is Good. It's about a guy who is a sniper. The lyrics also the match the songs very well and Dave Mustaine is a pretty good vocalist. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall I think this album is great for a debut album. The most impressive to me is Mechanix since the relations of it between that and The Four Horsemen. I realy do like this album but I don't think this compares to Peace Sells... But Who's Buying? // 10

Killing Is My Business... And Business Is Good! Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 04, 2006

Sound: The sound on this album is much like on the Kill 'Em All album (Metallica), I think it's cool, it's more trashy. But there sound now is also good. Dave has a nice sound, but I'm not the biggest fan of Chris' low overdrive sound, but he is a kickass guitar player. I love this Megadeth album, because of its skilled creators, the songs are more advanced and complex than Kill 'Em All, the solos are really good, both Dave and Chris is really good at what they do. This is the music ave made to answer Metallica so you can sense aggretion. My favourite songs are Skull Beneath The Skin and Looking Down The Cross. // 8

Lyrics: I like the lyrics I think they are good. I actually like Dave's way of singing, his intensetivity and hunger is so goddamn great. The lyrics goes great together with the music. // 9

Overall Impression: This is a great album and the next, peace sells, got even better. The fact that they got Gar samuelson and Chris poland, makes this the album with the best crew. I think this is a must have in a metal cd collection. // 9

Killing Is My Business... And Business Is Good! Reviewed by: Busproof, on october 27, 2008

Sound: Megadeth really hits the thrash metal sound on the head with this album, as well as throws in some surprise elements. It hits hard, fast, and loud, despite the production and budget issues. You can catch hints of both Poland's and Samuelson's jazz backgrounds on the albums, especially in Gar's drumming on tracks like Mechanix and Rattlehead. Also, the use of two guitarists trading solos, with plenty of tap work going on is a nice touch that adds to the overall speed and aggression of the album. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics, to me, seem like the typical thrash metal lyrical content. The album doesn't focus on a single topic, but rather, a list of various topics, most of which have a dark, angry characteristic to them. Mustaine's voice stands out though, as his tone matches both the lyrical content, and the overall sound, very metal. You can feel the anger and rage in his vocals, and the lyrics, while typical for thrash metal, do paint pretty detailed images. Lyrics range from the death of christ, to Megadeth's mascot Vic Rattlehead, to a horny mechanic. it's varied, but seems pretty typical, with many songs bearing topics relative to death. Still, the lyrics are alright and the vocals shine. // 8

Overall Impression: Killing is My Business... is my favorite of the Big Four's debut albums, as well as personal Megadeth favorite. it's both faster and heavier than Metallica's Kill Em All, and Mustaine outshines Hetfield in the vocal and rhythm department compared to their debut. I love the overall anger of it. The dark tone, combined with the fast riffs and trade solos, as well as Ellefson's bass work, make it a staple metal album that I think everyone should own, or at least give a listen to. // 9

Killing Is My Business... And Business Is Good! Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 17, 2006

Sound: This album is one of/or the best metal albums of the '80s. The band's music shows dave mustaine's aggression against metallica. As well as how crazy the hole band was over all. Come one they spent 1/2 of the money combat gave them for the record on drugs (4000). The speed in this album is amazing but they can fall back on the mass skill needed to play there songs. I love this ablum, it's the best metal ablum, I don't care about the producing of it, its sound great to me. Plus you go to love these boots. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are great. I really like 'loved to death' it has the best love song lyrics. It show's no weakness it's powerful and nuts (just like Dave). All the other songs have good lyrics (Skull Beneath The Skin is sweet to it me fav. song). All the lyrics fit perfect, come on its dave, the music flows well and sounds great too. The skill of the singer is good, never Dave strong point but I leaned to love it, it took a little bit to ajust to, it's just diffrent. // 9

Overall Impression: It's the best of the Four horsemen's debut's. It has the best solo's tied for 1st best riffs (tie with Metallica but Dave rote 4 songs form Metallica Kill 'Em All). Speed, skill, anger. It's got it all. I would kill a man if mine was jacked. I love it you will too give it a shot Megadeth rules! // 10

Killing Is My Business... And Business Is Good! Reviewed by: kirbyrocknroll, on july 31, 2006

Sound: The production for this album is a bit weak. But it's the best you can get when the band uses half of it's recording money on drugs. I actually kind of like the production. It gives that feeling of a garage band doing their first recording. This album has a very thrashy sound. It's speedy, it's in-your-face, it's metal. // 7

Lyrics: The lyrics were pretty good. They fit the music as well. It amazed me how Dave Mustaine could sing while playing riffs at the speed at which they were being played. I find it hard to understand him on some songs, especially Last Rites/Loved To Deth. I, personally, like Dave's voice. It's just in-your-face and wakes you up. You can feel his anger, aggression, and energy when he sings. But with Dave's voice, you love it or you hate it. I haven't seen many people in the gray area. // 7

Overall Impression: This wasn't Megadeth's best album and it doesn't compare with Peace Sells... But Who's Buying, which was the next album they released. The songs "Killing Is My Business... And Business Is Good" and "Mechanix" were the ones that stuck out at me most. Killing is my Business is an energetic pumping-like song. Good energy and good playing. Mechanix was fast and filled with energy. I learned the song and tried to sing with it and failed miserably. Dave's singing while playing is great too. Not too hard to understand the lyrics and the music stands out. I would definitely buy this album again if it was stolen. It's a good listen for those times you need to get pumped up. // 8

Killing Is My Business... And Business Is Good! Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 04, 2007

Sound: I love the sound on this album, it's simply pure, raw Megadeth, although most others would obviously prefer to have a much neater sounding album, I myself would aspire to have a debut album with this sort of aura to it. Every song on the album is excellent, I actually own a copy with 8 tracks, including their arrangement of These Boots (which was removed from all pressings of the album in 1995, because the original writer pr*ck, Lee Hazelwood found it "vile and offensive" it was re-released on the album though a year or 2 ago with curse words censored.) Their arrangement however is not some wise crack at "old music" or whatever, but a f--king damn good piece of art; it's really clever how Mustaine & Effelson did this song, awesome. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics in this album ain't Megadeth's best work, but far surpass most other debut album lyrics. Looking down the Cross I thought is excellent and applies with the music the most, Killing is about the Punisher an assassin who was Dave's favourite comic book character (and mine too) who kills his target and occasionally his employer (although he usually just kills people out of free will to 'punish'), but all song lyrics are good. Some controversy about These Boots with sex references and stuff, but hey they were a bunch of horny adolescents (aren't we all). F--k off Hazelwood, we should make life resemble art and tip the Punisher about you (Lee'll be dead soon though, so we will get the full version of the song soon). Dave Mustaine has amazing vocals, the Mustaine snarl is brilliant here, he also pulls of some cool effects with his voice like fading and stuff. // 10

Overall Impression: All my Megadeth albums are on top shelf (Killing To Countdown that is, haven't got the others) I love them all, Rust In Piece is probably my favourite but there's just something about this album, it's got a certain charm to it. Most impressive songs? These Boots, Skull, Killing and Last Rites. They're all great though. I love everything about the album. I hate the fact that Hazelwood is such a knob jockey taking of a musical achievement like These Boots, Asshole. If it were stolen/lost, would you buy it again or get something else? Well, put it this way whoever stole it would learn the meaning of the album title. Otherwise Yeah I'd buy the exact same copy. // 10

Killing Is My Business... And Business Is Good! Reviewed by: (...), on january 07, 2008

Sound: When Dave got thrown out of Metallica, he as understandably angry. Take this anger, Dave's obsession with being the "loudest, fastest, and baddest," and his need for revenge against his former band mates and you get "Killing is My Business... And Business is Good!" (KIMBABIG), one of the rawest and meanest works of music around. Mustaine and Poland are solo machines, and their riff work is amazing. Poland is a unique player because of an accident that occurred in his childhood that ripped a tendon in his hand. This means his finger have an amazing reach, and that means he can play notes that are further away from each other (which is great for soloing, mind you). Ellefson (bass guitar) does an above average job with the bass. He even does some small solo work. What I really find amazing about KIMBABIG musically is Gar Samuelson's drumming. His jazz influences show clearly in this recording. He does great keeping time, and he does an awesome job at fills. Even though I love his work in all of the tracks, his work with the "Mechanix" and "Rattlehead" stand out to me. Overall, KIMBABIG is amazing musically. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics on KIMBABIG do not deal with one subject in particular, but seem to be more erratic in style. However, two tracks ("The Skull Beneath the Skin" and "Rattlehead") deal with the band's mascot, Vic Rattlehead. I believe that the best songs lyrically would either have to be "Looking Down the Cross" or "The Skull Beneath the Skin." THe title track has some interesting lyrics too. The weakest songs lyrically would have to be either the "Mechanix" or "Last Rites/Loved to Deth." Mustaine's vocal style (at this point in Megadeth's history) fits very well with the music on KIMBABIG. Even though he isn't themost talented singer ever, he does make it work. // 8

Overall Impression: I think KIMGABIG is the best debut album out of the Big 4 of Thrash. My favorite songs would have to "The Skull Beneath the Skin," the "Mechanix," and the "Chosen Ones." I find the piano in "Last Rites" very interesting, and it sounds very close to a Bach composition (yes, Mustaine knows how to rock the piano). I love the intensity, aggression, speed of the album. It is truly one of the best ever. // 9

Killing Is My Business... And Business Is Good! Reviewed by: MetalMania707, on june 22, 2009

Sound: Well, There is only one thing I have to say about this Record... Pure Thrash Genius! The sound on the album on the 2002 Remaster is Brilliant, Mustaine really took it to the next level, making it sound better Produced than dare I say Youthanasia. But its a whole different story with original. Now Dave getting kicked out of Metallica really led to the Album being what it is now. The songs are faster, heavier and more evil than Metallica had done up to that point. But we arn't here for comparsions. // 8

Lyrics: Well the lyrics are kind of silly, like "Chosen Ones", but when Partnered with the Fantastic Thrash-tacluar music of Dave Mustaine and co. Really makes you forget about the Silliness in the Lyrics. Now the lyrics really suited the Music on this Record, Dave really did his homework during the time of being kicked out of Metallica and Making this record. But Dave's singing skills are fairly average, this being because he never wanted to be the singer, but was forced to due to lack of awesomeness from any local Metal Vocalists. But really once again, Partnered with the music, You don't really Care. // 5

Overall Impression: This album doesn't compare to anything, because its in a Leauge of its own. This album contains some truly impressive songs. Last Rites/Loved to Deth (Or Death) really is pure guitar wizardry. Killing is My Business... And Business is Good! is a great song to headbang to, not to mention Chris Poland's Great solo at the End. Rattlehead is Thrash at its utmost very best. The rest of the Album is just Brilliant. What I love about this Album is that it never gets old, you can listen to it time and time again. And aside from the Average production and silly lyrics there is nothing to hate about this album. I this album were stolen, I'd find the bugger who nicked the thing and tear out his f--king spine. Then I'd go buy a New one. // 9

Killing Is My Business... And Business Is Good! Reviewed by: Takeover, on september 28, 2009

Sound: This is my favorite band and favorite album ever. So I'll do this one first. This album is for some reason not praised like Rust In peace, Peace Sells, or most recently Endgame. Which is odd because it is the fastest, most technical, most aggressive, most consistent, and most varied of all Megadeth's releases. The slowest songs are Skull Beneath the Skin and Looking Down the Cross but from the perspective of someone who has learned this whole album by ear those songs are just as technically demanding as the faster ones, and they speed up later in the songs anyway. The faster songs are very mid-ranged and fast. There are few mid-paced riffs and the ones that you hear are mindblowing like in the mid-section of Rattlehead. They don't follow the typical mid-paced 8th note chugging rythm that you'll hear on later songs like Wake Up Dead. This music was extremely innovative when it was written. IF you've seen Get Thrashed you might remember the part where they showed Death Angel and he said something like it was the fastest shit before Slayer were going Mach 10. And for 8,000 dollars (really only 4,000) this is produced well. I love the horrible production. It makes it sound so much heavier, and for songs like Looking Down the cross in the first verse the vocals sound that much darker than on the remastered. // 10

Lyrics: Dave's vocals are at his most aggressive here. From the opening scream of Loved to Death, to the wailing on Looking down the cross, and back to the sustain on Rattlehead, Dave is in his prime with lungs full of drugs. He definately uses that to his advantage. His vocals are extremely raspy, violent, evil, and insane for the most part. The lyrics and song subjects are extremely varied. Loved to Death is about how Diana didn't want him at first (I read all this shit in the liner notes of the CD remaster)so he kills her so no one else can have her. The title track is about the punisher comic book, basically an assassin hired to kill his previous employer. Skull Beneath the Skin is about the ritual and sacrifice that brought Vic rattlehead to life. If you have the remastered version next is rattlehead. Probably the most intense song on this album. Unrelenting speed and lyrics about Megadethbanger as said in the liner notes. If you have a tape or unremastered version you would have just heard the Lee Hazelwood penned song these boots. On the remaster all the humorous changes are bleeped out unlike the normal version. Next is Chosen Ones. This song is about... Monty Pithon. Yes, Dave says himself that he likes British humor. Go figure, british humor, british metal. anyway, his lyrics are better than the movie. The next song is Looking down the Cross which talks about Christ being put up on the post. The song was origanally to be named speak no evil and was one of Junior's favorite songs from when he joined the band. The last song except on the remastered is the Mechanix. Yes it's better than that Four Horseman bullshit. Faster, Better vocals, Better drums, Better guitar solo. And Dave uses his voice much better than Hetfield. Sorry for drawing comparisons but you must when they both sang the song at one time or another. The only reason this song was included was by Dave ellefson's idea that Dave add a Metallica song to the set back in '83. // 9

Overall Impression: This album is one of the most original, technical (except maybe Sadus, Coroner, or Destruction maybe), and perfect as a debut can be. Dave's vocal execution is perfect for this time period, and it is the most musically consistent of any of the big four/5's debuts. Scott Ian even said so in the liner notes of this album himself. I hate nothing about this album. From the Piano intro to the ending shreds of The Mechanix the album is filled with consistency while having tempo variety and pitch/rythm variety. Gar Samuelson does his most barbaric and immpressive performance. Just give These Boots a listen. I wouldn't buy it again, because I already have a tape, the remastered, and original. That's how much I f--kin' love this record. // 10

Killing Is My Business... And Business Is Good! Reviewed by: metalhead983877, on june 06, 2013

Sound: "Killing Is My Business... And Business Is Good!" is Megadeth's first album and is by far their rawest album. 01. "Last Rites/Loved To Deth": My favorite of the album. It has this nice piano intro with bass and guitar, and then "Loved To Deth" kicks in with a fast and furious riff by mastermind Mustaine. Highlight of the song: The riff that kicks in after the solo is brutal! 02. "Killing Is My Business... And Business Is Good!": This song is amazing, features both fast and technical riffs with amazing drumming from Gar Samuelson. Highlight of the song: The verses. Try to play that riff while singing if you dare it. 03. "The Skull Beneath The Skin": Features a nice little ascending solo in the beginning of the song. It is a slower song but one of the most technical of the album. Highlight of the song: The intro is really nice, but the best part of the song is the lyrics. 04. "Rattlehead": I think it is the fastest song on the album, with amazing drumming and riffing everywhere. It also has a nice breakdown near the 2/3 mark of the song, and goes back to crazy speed/thrash metal riffing. Full of crazy solos. Highlight of the song: The solos. Enough said. 05. "Chosen One": My least favorite song on this album, but very good nonetheless since I like every single Megadeth song. What's nice with this song is that it speeds up all the freaking time! The little bass solo near the end is a nice touch too. Highlight of the song: Ellefson's bass solo is a really nice touch to the song. 06. "Looking Down The Cross": Starts with this really weird guitar intro that builds up until it kicks in with a really... funky(?) riff which is really surprising compared to the rest of the songs. Highlight of the song: The intro is straight up creepy. 07. "Mechanix": Megadeth's version of Metallica's "The Four Horsemen". It has a different intro, different lyrics, doesn't have the middle bridge section and is way, WAY faster. What could you expect from Mustaine at that time, other than raw riffing? Highlight of the song: the intro is a really nice add and starts the song less abruptly. 08. "These Boots" (bonus song): On the original version of the album, "These Boots" is an awesome song. On the remastered version, it is very bad. It is a cover of Lee Hazlewood's "These Boots Are Made For Walkin'" but with crude lyrics. On the remastered version, most of the lyrics are censored. The production also makes this album very raw, although it might take some time to get used to if you like the newer Megadeth. // 8

Lyrics: Lyrics on this album taks about love, killing and death (mostly), the band itself, a horny mechanic, Megadeth's mascot Vic Rattlehead and religion. This was before the days of Mustaine's controversial comments on politics, where he was singing about killing and death (well he did say that he wanted blood - THEIRS [talking about Metallica] so I guess it was what just spawned into his mind at the moment of writing these lyrics). All in all, these are not the best lyrics ever but they are still nice. // 7

Overall Impression: This album is nothing like their other albums, I think it is not even comparable with their follow-up album, "Peace Sells... But Who's Buying?" in terms of songwriting. This album is their rawest, fastest and most violent album they ever released. Is it their best? No, but it's pretty darn up in my top list. My favorite are "Last Rites/Loved To Death" and "Looking Down The Cross," I just love the rawness of "Last Rites" and the kind of spooky atmosphere in "Looking Down The Cross." If this album was stolen, well, just read Cannibal Corpse's lyrics. They would basically become real. // 8

More Megadeth reviews rating latest review
+ Super Collider 6.4 06/03/2013