Peace Sells... But Who's Buying? Review

artist: megadeth date: 07/18/2011 category: compact discs
megadeth: Peace Sells... But Who's Buying?
Released: 1986
Genre: Rock
Styles: Thrash, Heavy Metal, Speed Metal
This album is Megadeth's magnum opus. Surely one of the most amazing metal masterworks of all time.
 Lyrics: 8.6
 9.1
 8.8
 9.4
Peace Sells... But Who's Buying? Reviewed by: Rattlehead666, on february 11, 2006

Sound: This was the second studio album that Megadeth had released. This album was produced in the year of 1986. This has to be one of the greatest albums Megadeth has ever released and one of the greatest thrash metal albums of all time. Here is the songs and a comment about each of the songs. 01. Wake Up Dead - this is proepely one of least favorite songs on the album even though it is one of there greatest hits. Although I like this song very much, the riffs for guitar and bass are good. This would be a great song for somebody to learn and it also has a cool video. 02. The Conjuring - this song has great guitar riffs as well as bass riffs. The song starts a bit slow but then it keeps geting heavier and more agressive if that would be the right term to us. Also has great solos. 03. Peace Sells - this song has one of the coolest bass introductions ever. This song is a bit slow at the verses but it has excellent solos and it gets even better around 2:05. There is a cool part in the video when a headbanger person is watching TV and his father comes in and says "What is this garbage your watching? I want to watch the news!" and the Headbanger person says "This is the news!" That part is also quoted in the PSBWB remixed and remastered version booklet. 04. Devil's Island - the introduction is a bit repeatative but it's still good. My favorite riff is the verse riff. The solo is also good. 05. Good Mourning/Black Friday - this is my favorite song on the album. The song starts off acoustic but it has electric guitar playing like mini solos and after awhile it all goes electric and then the song gets heavier and faster. I like the lyrics as well. 06. Bad Omen - this song has an evil like introduction. Also another great song for somebody who plays bass to learn and if you like learning solos you will especially like the solos in this song. 07. I Ain't Supersticious - this isn't a song Dave Mustaine or any other band members had written. Basically it's a cover. This song isn't really the best but some people might like it. 08. My Last Words - this is propely the most underated song on this album. I don't see why though it's a great song. Has a cool introduction, great bass riffs and great solos. This is another song I like a lot on this album. If you have the remixed and remasterd version of this album then you got a special remixed version of the songs Wake Up Dead, The Conjuring, Peace Sells and Good Mourning/Black Friday but they don't really sound that different. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics for this album is like any of the first three Megadeth albums. the lyrics for Good Mourning/Black Friday is good because it's about a guy who turns into a homocide and he kills people with a butcher knife. Bad Omen has something to do with satanic rituals or suomething like that. Dave Mustaine is an okay vocalist in this album but his vocals gets better as the time goes on. // 10

Overall Impression: I think that if Metallica did not release Master Of Puppets which was also released that same year, Peace Sells... But Who's Buying would be more well known although it is a well liked album by all Megadeth fans. Like the first album this album also has a picture of the mascot Vic. I think Vic is a cool mascot. This album and Rust In Peace is the two Megadeth albums I take care of the most. If somebody stole this album I would hunt them down and grab them by there little throats and rip them limb from limb cause I'm like the only person in my grade who has this album and it's also one of the greatest albums I got. // 10

Peace Sells... But Who's Buying? Reviewed by: krymson, on december 27, 2006

Sound: This album came out in 1986, the year metal became huge all around the world. This established Megadeth along with Metallica adn Slayer as the leading forces in the underground and more specifically thrash metal genre. The songs feature not only some catchiest, muscular, thrashy style riffs but also throws in some mid tempo riffs and even some clean stuff. Also, we can't forget the guitar soloes. Dave may not be the most melodic lead guitarist but the man can rip it up and they well with the songs. Although the guitar may be the focale point of the album, along with most of Megdeth's work, the bass it's time to shine every now and then, showcasing some high speed catchy-as-hell bass lines. Also, who could forget the into to "Peace Sells". The drums aren't anything special but they do their job and moulds a strong rythm section with the bass. // 9

Lyrics: Honestly, I never liked Dave Mustaines lyrics and always found them kinda of laughable. This album isn't too bad as far as lame lyrics. "Peace Sells" and "My Last Words" have pretty damn good lyrics but other songs like "Wake Up Dead" just kill me. Now, the vocals. Saying Dave Mustaine's vocals are weird as f--k is not an understatement. Although he may sound odd it's part of what makes Megadeth distinct from other metal acts. Lots of people find Dave's vocals annoying but I've gotten use to them and think they fit the music fine. // 8

Overall Impression: This is the second Megadeth album I've heard, the first being Countdown To Extinction. I have to say I prefer this much better. The high-tempo, catchy guitar riffs are the best part of this album, closely followed by Dave Mustaine's unique vocals delivery. The best songs off the album have to be "Peace Sells" with it's amazingly catchy ending riff, and "My Last Words" because it end the album off perfect along with great riffs and awesome lyrics. The only thing I dislike is "Wake Up Dead". The itself isn't too bad, but it seemed like a weak way to start off such a great album. I think this is pretty good album to get started on Megadeth, espicially because of the title track. This is a must need for any thrash metal collector. // 9

Peace Sells... But Who's Buying? Reviewed by: Selig_Free, on july 21, 2009

Sound: This album is Megadeth's magnum opus. Surely one of the most amazing metal masterworks of all time, it begins with the growling thrasher "Wake Up Dead". Which melts into the somewhat magical deathride "The Conjuring". "Peace Sells" starts with one of the most amazing bass/kick-drum beatings ever made. "Devil's Island" shows off an extremely prominent solo. "Good Mourning/Black Friday" is one of the most beautiful-to-brutal songs ever created. "Bad Omen" is arguably dispensable, as awesome as the bass line sounds. Megadeth also threw a cover of "I Ain't Superstitious" in, which actually turned out pretty well. The album ultimately ends up with "My Last Words" which flashes how prominent all of the band members are with their instruments. Gar Samuelson's pounding drum work provides a base for the album. David Ellefson proves that he has enough chops to battle with any metal bassist of his time and gives our album the perfect structure of a Metal Monster worthy of legend! Dave Mustaine's snarling vocals and extreme crunch-punch guitar work tops the album off with an bit of good ol' thrash metal goodness. And the cherry on top is provided by Chris Polland, whose solos truly give the album it's angry face. // 10

Lyrics: I'm very impressed with the lyrics, Mustaine knows how to get people excited. My favorite song for the lyrics is definitely "Good Mourning/Black Friday". They're incredibly brutal-licious!! As for signing skills, what can I say? Dave Mustaine is just as good a singer (if not better) than any other thrash/speed/awesome metal band out there. // 8

Overall Impression: As I've said before, Peace Sells...But Who's Buying? is Megadeth's master-piece. It's Megadeth's "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band". Every song steps out in its own way, and no matter how you look at it, Megadeth have truly been at the top of their game for most of their lives, unlike some thrash bands. (Looking at you, Metallica). My only beef with this album is the lack of diversity between songs. But who's complaining? Not me, that's for sure. In the end, if you're a newcomer to metal music, I highly suggest you pick up this album, no matter what kind of music you started with... Wait... Unless it's bubble pop. This isn't for Nickelback and Saving Abel fans. Peace out, Selig. // 9

Peace Sells... But Who's Buying? Reviewed by: Busproof, on october 27, 2008

Sound: This is Megadeth's second, and to me, one of their most powerful releases. PSBWB picks up where Killing is My Business... left off, albeit with a improved production quality, and a bit of tameness added to songs. However, the thrash bite of their first album is not lost, and is improved with catchier lyrics and riff work, as well as more Megadeth trade-off solos. // 9

Lyrics: Pretty standard Megadeth tone to the lyrics. The topics, much like on Killing is My Business... , are varied and bear that dark, dethly tone to them, with topics rangeing from the occult, all the way towards politics and the general 'deth' attitude. Mustaine's singing hasn't exactly improved or worsened on the second album, and it's still one of those voices that you either like or hate. One thing I noticed though is their are less growls and yells than on Killing Is My Business, but that doesn't tone down the sheer aggressiveness and anger with Dave's voice. Also, you start to see more of Mustaine's trademark cynicalism in the track Peace Sells. // 9

Overall Impression: Compared to Metallica's second release, Ride the Lightning, I find the vocals more appealing to me, simply because Hetfield was still in his 'heavy mic reverb' stage, which was dropped on Master of Puppets. However, the release of Master of Puppets in the same year as Peace Sells really hurt the album, which is an album I think all thrash-lovers should give a listen to. This was the first Megadeth album I bought, as well as the first one I heard all the way through, and it was the one that got me hooked on Megadeth. I think the opening track 'Wake Up Dead' really opens the whole thing up with a nice punch to the face with it's heavy, but dark, riff work and solos. Also, I love Good Mourning... Black Friday, because, unlike Metallica's Fight Fire With Fire (what I consider the rough equivalent), it retains the album's general dark feel in it's opening licks, where Fight Fire With Fire adopts a classical sound that you don't really hear or feel much through the rest of the album. The only thing I was disappointed with was the fact that Gar's drumming just doesn't seem to shine out like it did on Killing is My Business... , which was a prime example of his drumming talents. If the album was stolen, I'd definately buy it again - I've owned my copy since around 2002 and have kept it in pretty good condition. I definately suggest this an album for those just starting to listen to Megadeth to check into, as it's a great example of their early thrash work. One of my favorite albums of all time. // 10

Peace Sells... But Who's Buying? Reviewed by: JamesxHetfield, on december 11, 2008

Sound: Peace Sells... But Who's Buying is freakin' amazing. It has got to be one of the best albums ever. Dave's voice is perfect, the guitars sound great, and so does the bass and drums. This to me is the best Thrash metal album ever. I can listen to it start to finish without skipping a track or getting bored of it. It has some of my personal favourite tracks like Wake Up Dead, Devil's Island and the Willie Dixon cover: I Ain't Superstitious. 01.Wake Up Dead: this is the perfect introduction to an album. It kicks off with a sick bass line and gets right to the lyrics. The thing I like most about this song is the many guitar solo's and its great intrumentation and song structure in general. This is a great tune to play on guitar. 02.Conjuring: a great intro to a great track on the album. It sends chills down my spine just listening to it. The lyrics work really great with the music. 03.Peace Sells: Ahh..One of the greatest Megadeth songs of all time. It has this great meaning behind it and the bassline the Ellefson does at the begining is killer. If anybodies seen the video it makes it that much better. 04.Devil's Island: it's a shame they don't play this song ebing its on of my personal fave's. The tapping like at the begining of the song is awesome and the speed of the guitars and lyrics during the verse's just make it that much better. Easily a Megadeth classic. 05.Good Mourning/Black Friday: it has a great guitar intro that kind of reminds me of walking down the street on a rainy day. It's very soothing. Then it gets nice and heavy as the song progresses. Kudo's to Dave and Chris for their guitar parts. 06.Bad Omen: this is a great song that everyone should listen to. Nice guitar about 3 minutes in. 07.I Ain't Supersticious: well this is a cover song and i've never actually heard the original so i can't really compare but i personally really like it. 08.My Last Words: cool begining, gives a nice effect to the song. All in all its a great tune and a great closing track. // 10

Lyrics: Everybody always shits all over dave because of his voice. I personally love his voice and prefer it over Hetfield's and Araya's. He has range and can change his voice which is what I think the music better. Dave has always been an amazing lyricist and in my opinion, kicks everbody elses ass at writing. The lyrics fit directly with the music and never seem out of place once on this record. The lyrics tend to deal with the devil, politics and well Wake Up Dead is about Dave cheating on his girlfriend. // 10

Overall Impression: This in my opinion, is the best Megadeth record ever. A lot of people tend to lean towards Rust In Peace but I like this one better with Rust In Peace in a close 2nd. Their is nothing at all that I can say is wrong with this album, because I love everything about it. I think that every individual song on this album stands out so I can't pick just one or two songs. I would litterally punch somebody in the face if they ever stole my PS... BWB? cd. // 10

Peace Sells... But Who's Buying? Reviewed by: Horvat, on january 22, 2007

Sound: Megadeth's 'Peace Sells... But Who's Buying?' is, without a doubt, a classic metal CD. It signals a landmark time in trash metal's history, and Megadeth's as well. The overall sound quality production isn't outstanding, but it's good enough. Sound-wise, the guitars don't sound as chunky or heavy as on 'Rust In Peace', but Megadeth's classic tone is still there. Also, the bass is audible, which is great to hear, especially in the title track. Generally, the sound production ain't superb, but what makes this album great is the catchiness and quality of the songs. Some of Megadeth's best solos and riffs are featured on this release, making it a must-have for any 'Deth fan. // 7

Lyrics: The lyrics on this album are quite varied, but mainly with dark themes. Songs like 'The Conjuring' and 'I Ain't Superstitious' typically talk about semi-occult type subject matter, though as is usual for Megadeth, there is one politically-minded song on this album (the title track). The lyrics aren't outstaning, but they're not bad, and are some of Mustaine's better creative work. The vocals, well, as is usually the case with Megadeth, you'll probably either love them or hate them. Mustaine sounds okay on this record, but if you're looking for a more matured, stronger sound, check out his work on 'Rust In Peace', 'Countdown To Extinction', or even 'The System Has Failed'. // 7

Overall Impression: Overall, it's not a perfect album, but it's a good one. If you like thrash, or 80's metal, you will most definitely get a kick out of this release. The great thing about it is that it's quite varied: you see Megadeth's melodic side on 'Good Mourning/Black Friday', their NWOBHM and speed metal influences on 'My Last Words', their mainstream appeal on the title song, and even some classic rock inspiration on 'I Ain't Superstitious'. And let's not forget the sheer awesomeness of 'Wake Up Dead' and 'The Conjuring', two classic metal songs. This is not an album to be missed, so check it out if you have not done so. // 8

Peace Sells... But Who's Buying? Reviewed by: ledhed503, on february 22, 2011

Sound: On the album, Megadeth create a fine palette of sounds, combining straight up punk fury with metallic aggression, and even adding a slight jazz twist, provided by guitar virtuoso Chris Poland and drummer Gar Samuelson. On "Wake Up Dead", "Bad Omen" and "Good Mourning/Black Friday", Megadeth add jazzy lines and odd rhythms to create a very interesting form of thrash. Perhaps the best song on the album, "Peace Sells" has very basic but interesting riffs, but turns into manic soloing and furious double-bass drumming. Relatively straightforward thrash songs on this album still have the trademark Megadeth sound. "Devils Island" retains a fast pace throughout the song, and the rapid triplets are reminiscent of Iron Maiden. The instrumental performances are perfect, with no scarcity of intricate riffing and ridiculously fast shredding. The main problem with the sound would have to be the actual production, although the remaster fixes many of the problems presented by the original mix. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics on "Peace Sells" are very well written. The title track displays Mustaine's first foray into political music, and has exceptional lyrics dealing with stereotypes about metalheads. At least three songs on the album, "The Conjuring", "Bad Omen" and "I Ain't Superstitious" deal with supernatural powers, and all three have a very fitting instrumental background that go well with the themes of black magic present on the album. "My Last Words" is about Russian roulette, and has a very cool gang vocal section near the end. "Good Mourning/ Black Friday" is about a serial killer who lives underground. Mustaine's performance on the album is actually pretty good compared to some of his later performances, with more of a gruff delivery than the whiny voice he is famous for. I would say these songs have some of Mustaine's best recorded performances, and this helps add to the overrall greatness of this album. // 8

Overall Impression: "Peace Sells...But Who's Buying" is definitely one of Megadeth's best albums, second only to Rust in Peace (although some will contest that). My favorite songs are the title track, "Wake Up Dead", and "The Conjuring", all three of which stand up to the best songs from Rust In Peace. The amazing guitar work by both Mustaine and Poland surpasses that of any other thrash band at this time, even Metallica. I would definitely buy this album if it were lost, it is just too good to miss out on. This is definitely worth checking out if you enjoy classic thrash and classic metal. // 9

Peace Sells... But Who's Buying? Reviewed by: Anchr, on july 18, 2011

Sound: This is the 25th Anniversary remastered edition of Megadeth's acclaimed 1986 "Peace Sells... But Who's Buying?" album. I treated myself with the 5 CD, 3 LP box-set rather than the 2 CD version which is also available. The 5 CDs contain: 1. The 2011 Remaster of the original album. 2. The remixed version of the album from 2004. 3. The real original version: the one produced and mixed by Randy Burns, supposed to be released under Combat Records. 4. A previously unreleased concert from 1987 at the Phantasy Theatre in Cleveland 5. Hi-res (24 bit/96k).WAV versions of Discs 1 and 4. The three LPs contain Discs one and four (spread over 2 LPs) on vinyl. But truth be told, I hear very little difference (a few different effects here and there, guitars/vocals boosted or lowered down a bit at some points) between the 2011 Remaster and the original record. Same goes for the 2004 remixed version. Yet that does not make these CDs sound bad. But I had higher expectations of a "remaster" The Randy Burns remixed are a different story though. You hear a little less of the guitars, but the bass, drums and vocals are more pronounced on these mixes. It makes me wonder why Megadeth found it not worthy to be released, because it sounds great to me. The live concert CD generally sounds pretty good too, but at sometimes plain awful. But that has more to do with the concert itself (equipment failure, Dave not even singing his lines etc.) than with the recording and producing of it. Obviously the Hi-res versions of disc one and four have a higher sound quality and that's it. The three LPs sound amazing. I even prefer listening to the live concert on vinyl that from my CD player. To me it shows that vinyl still is a great way to listen to music to. Overall sound: excellent, but I had expected a more distinctive sound, especially from the 2011 Remaster. Hence it scores a bit lower than I would like to give it. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics are the same as they were 25 years ago. The songs are still about cheating husbands, ill-fated cultists and merciless butchers who live underground. Dave Mustaine's way of song writing come down to preference. Same goes for his singing. He's not an amazing singer, but I've heard worse. // 9

Overall Impression: Aside from the CDs and LPs, the box-set contains: A booklet with, aside from the lyrics and liner nots, lots of press and live photos, two flyers used to promote Megadeth gigs, and a reprinted ticket for a concert from 1987. This all comes in a large box with a 3D version of the front, and all CDs, LPs and above mentioned photos/flyers come in newly created artwork of Vic Rattlehead and his "For Sale" sign. It's nice to look at for a couple of minutes but that's about it. One other major drawback about this box-set is, that to my likings, it does not provide as much "new" material as one would expect/hope to get for the price it asks. If you did not already own a copy of "PS... BHB?" I would not hesitate and get this box-set. If you do, I would get the 2 CD version, which contains just the 2011 Remaster and the 1987 live concert. // 6

More Megadeth reviews rating latest review
+ Killing Is My Business... And Business Is Good! 8.7 06/06/2013