Risk Review

megadeth: Risk
Released: Aug 31, 1999
Genre: Rock
Styles: Thrash, Heavy Metal, Speed Metal
Risk is not much of a departure from its two predecessors; more reflective, melodic, and conventional than the Megadeth of old
 Lyrics: 7.8
 7.3
 6.5
Risk Reviewed by: unregistered, on december 14, 2005

Sound: I think the sound on this album is really impressive, it is clear sounding and the way the vocals are recorded is great, on both the Original and the Remaster, a very strong point for the album. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics on this album are really impressive, yes they do follow a Megadeth/Dave Mustaine style, and it is expected of him to write lyrics like he did in this album, but they are still amazing. Mustaine has the best voice for music I have heard, even through their older albums to the most recent (The System Has Failed) his voice seems to get better, what a great songwriter and vocalist he is. // 10

Overall Impression: This album is very different from all the other Megadeth albums, it obviously has it's own style and if you were to compare it to past albums it wouldn't get anywhere in the "Heavy Music" catagory, but it still delivers as a Risk, if you will. I really enjoy most of the songs on this album, they all have a unique sound, It opens with a violen into the great song "Insomnia" then goes off into "Prince Of Darkness," it starts out really slow and is kind of boring at first but it picks up and just about delivers. After "Prince Of Darkness" is "Enter The Arena," I personally find this "song," if you can call it one, to be pointless and they could have just combined it with the song afterwards, which is "Crush 'Em," this is a song that was ment to be a arena sports song, it is kinda catchy with some nice guitar as well. After that song, comes the almost country sounding "Breadline," it is one of the softer Megadeth songs, which doesn't make it bad, it has great lyrics and a nice sound too it, personally I like it but the average Thrash-Metal "I want another Rust In Peace fan" probably won't enjoy it. Skiping "The Doctor Is Calling" (I find it to be the most boring song on the album), we go into "I'll Be There" which is another soft song with nice lyrics, it kind of makes me want to cry when I am in a sad mood, but when he plays it live it really gets a great response, it's decent but not the best. The rest of the songs don't really stand out as anything different, I do enjoy some of them, but the average Metal fan wouldn't. If it were stolen or lost I would buy it again, I think it is worth it and has some really creative material on it. For someone who is wanting to give Megadeth a try I wouldn't reccomend this, you should start from earlier works (such as "Peace Sells... But Who's Buying?" and "Rust In Peace," when you start to gain respect for the music Dave makes then you should move on to this, it doesn't get the best reviews and is probably the most under-rated Megadeth album of all time, most fans didn't like it, but you may want to give it a try. // 9

Risk Reviewed by: refusedparty, on september 03, 2004

Sound: The sound quality is probably the best of all the Megadeth albums. Unfortuately, the songs don't match the great sound. The music style used in this album is probably the worst of all time - whoever thought of this should be hung: dance music featuring metal. Is this the same band who produced thrash classics 'Rust In Peace' and 'Countdown to Extinction'? Well, probably not, coz 'Deth's 'Hammett' Marty Friedman isn't present on this album. Oh well. Sound is great though! // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are either great or absolutely disasterous. Great: Father Time, I'm running late. I'm winding down, I'm growing tired. Seconds drift into the night. The clock ticks till my time expires. That excerpt is from the only classic song on this album - Time: The Beginning. Disasterous: Here we go, crush em! Crush Em is one of the worst songs I've ever heard and the lyrics are awful. However, the song is remixed into a metal song on the greatest hits and is wonderful?! How did they manage that?! Coz they're Megadeth, that's why. // 6

Overall Impression: Overall, this is the worst Megadeth album ever. It has its standout moments (Insomnia & Time), and it has some dreadfully embarrassing moments (Prince of Darkness & Breadline). If you're new to Megadeth - avoid this! It'll only put you off an amazing band. Get Rust In Peace instead. If it were stolen I would buy it again to complete the collection, then again, who is going to steal this! // 4

Risk Reviewed by: unregistered, on september 08, 2004

Sound: The sound in this record is fine, though I've found some mistakes on the drum recording (don't remember which song.) It is kind of modern, that made some fans hungry, but it is not my case. They say Friedman influenced this record a lot, and you can tell that, he wanted a "more mainsteam Megadeth" (and then he got fired!)Some violins, strange industrial noises, some guitar effects too. Very different from previous records, I digged it a lot. // 8

Lyrics: Since they didn't write an internal book (except some lines) and I'm not that hot with english (I'm from Argentina) don't know that much on the subject, but there's alcohol struggling here ("Prince Of Darkness") drugs and homeless ("Breadline") mental diseases, etc. Mustaine style of singing fits fine w/lyrics, he really improved from early tapes. // 8

Overall Impression: My opinion: I think this is a very good album, something I didn't hear or read anywhere else. They really tried something diferent here, and no one forgave them for that. There's so much talent in songs like "Ecstasy," "Breadline," "Insomnia", I like them all. Please people relax for a moment and forget they always need to be the fastest heavy-trash machine, forget the name of the band, and taste those european sounds, the feeling of each song, their dramatism. The only Thing I don't like is that it turns out a little short (in time). // 10

Risk Reviewed by: Busproof, on october 30, 2008

Sound: This is a different sound for thrash-pioneers Megadeth. Featuring a more melodic and slower sound, as well as clearer and catchier lyrics, it's definately not what most fans expected. This is the last album featuring guitar-virtuoso Marty Friedman, as well as the last record featuring long time drummer Nick Menza. it's evolves on the premise of Cryptic Writings, holding catchier vocals, and a more filed down and radio friendly rock sound compared to other critical releases in Megadeth's career. Marty's influence, as well as the producer's, influence on the album is obvious with newer elements implented such as minor electronica and disco influences, as well as country influences, within the music. it's a different sound for Megadeth, which, while in itself is disappointing for fans of the Countdown to Extinction era and prior, is not, as a whole, a bad effort. // 8

Lyrics: Vocally, Dave shows different side of himself with more high pitched and typically radio rock work and less of his characteristic growls and anger. While the vocals are something that fans could potentially enjoy, however, lyrically I think the albums lacks a bit. it's still Dave's work, you can tell, but it just doesn't seem to meld well with the new radio rock friendly sound. Songs like Prince of Darkness hold that infamous dark tone that Megadeth is known for, but instrumentally feels hollow, to me at least. Like I said before, it's a different direction for the band, and while a good effort, I feel it falls short a bit. // 7

Overall Impression: Its an alright album overall. It falls short of certain levels, and of course, being a fan of Megadeth's earlier work, it strikes a disappointing chord with me. It's not a bad album, but it's not a great album either. Songs like Breadline and Time: The Beginning shine vocally, and songs like Crush Em do carry extremely catchy and singable choruses, however, I feel this album just doesn't live up to the name of Megadeth. If it was stolen or lost, I'd replace it, simply because I own all the albums, and still appreciate it from time to time, but it definately wouldn't be high on my priority list. // 7

More Megadeth reviews rating latest review
+ Super Collider 6.4 09/06/2013