Rust In Peace Review

9.6
 9.7
 9.5
Rust In Peace Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 27, 2004

Sound: Megadeth was unleashed. This was the record that really blew away the Heavy Metal community. Speed and Thrash are on the menu and not about to run out. It's a record filled with riffs and more riffs, plenty of solos and an insane sonic onslaught. Pure speed, hate and defiance. This was the first record for the Mustaine/Friedman team, and it was a grans slam. Both of these guys raised the bar, and they did it with one arm tied behind their backs. // 10

Lyrics: All the title songs are incredible. "Holy Wars... The Punishment Due", "Hangar 18", "Rust in Peace... Polaris" are only examples of Mustaine's clear vision of society in 1990, which sadly seem to fit our era better. There's no bullshit, just the truth. No sappy/happy songs. // 8

Overall Impression: By far, the only other two Megadeth records that rival this one are "Peace Sells... But Who's Buying" for its speed and brutality, and "Countdown to Extinction" for its heaviness and honest lyrics. The overall RIP record combines everything they do best. This is the definite must-have record by Megadeth. // 10

Rust In Peace Reviewed by: Rattlehead666, on november 21, 2005

Sound: This has to be one of the best megadeth albums that were ever released. You can't say anything bad about Rust In Peace. Here is the tracklist and their ratings for them in my opinion. 01. Holy Wars... The Punishment Due - the song is fast, has great guitar and a cool spanish part 10/10. 02. Hangar 18 - this song is about aliens and stuff and also has great guitar 10/10. 03. Take No Prisoner - this song is very fast and it has cool lyrics 10/10. 04. Five Magic - one of my favorite songs. This song starts fast and gets slow then gets fast again and it has a lot of solos in it 10/10. 05. Poison Was The Cure - this song starts off acoustic and then has cool drum part and good guitar 10/10. 06. Lucretia - propely my least favorite song on the album. It's has a good intro and good riffs 10/10. 07. Tornado Of Souls - This has to be one of Megadeth's best work. Good guitar, good drums and great solos 10/10. 08. Dawn Patrol - this song is different from the other songs. It's mostly all bass. Good bass to it though 10/10. 09. Rust In Peace... Polaris - one of my favorite songs. Dave Mustaine sings it cool and it's pretty fast 10/10. 10. My Creation - this was a bonus on the remixed and remastered album. It's an unfinished song but it's still good. 10/10 11. Rust In Peace Polaris (demo) - this is a demo of Rust In Peace. Very different 10/10. 12. Holy Wars... The Punishment Due (demo) - demo of Holy Wars... The Punishment Due. Different solos because their Chris Poland 10/10. 13. Take No Prisoners (demo) - this is the demo of Take No Prisoners. This one sounds almost the same as the released version 10/10. This is one of the best '90s albums ever released. Mustaine and Friedman are both great guitarists. // 10

Lyrics: This album has great lyrics also. Holy Wars... The Punisment Due has to do with wars about religion. Hangar 18 has to do with aliens. Rust In Peace is about nuclear warfare and a russian nuclear missle named polaris. The vocals fit in perfect with the music. Mustaine is also a great vocalist. // 10

Overall Impression: This is my favorite Megadeth album along with Killing Is My Business... And Business Is Good, Peace Sells... But Who's Buying and So Far, So Good... So What? All the sings are impressive on this album. I don't hate anything about this album and if it were stolen or lost this is one of my favorite albums that I bought and I would be so mad I would just go insane and destroy everything until I find it. // 10

Rust In Peace Reviewed by: the_beastly_one, on may 19, 2004

Sound: Rust in Peace was recorded at the beginning of the 1990s, which was to see the peak of Megadeth's musical ideas. For anyone who does not know the band well, they can be compared to another band beginning with M who you'll have heard of, but with longer, more difficult shred runs and a generally sludgier, thrash sound. This album has a bit of production, but not enough to make it mainstream (unlike the record of another certain band beginning with M who released a flagship album around the same time). Most of the record is straight metal, influenced by Motorhead, Judas Priest, Iron Maiden etc. In a small way, but in some songs, like Holy Wars, acoustic guitars are used and many styles are accomodated in places. // 10

Lyrics: The cover of the CD is a picture of the dude with the gas mask (like Peace Sells), standing beside a huge, rusting nuclear warhead, implying the main theme of the album. Many of the songs, such as Hangar 18 and Rust In Peace... Polaris are directly about the bombs and the Cold War of the time, hence the title of the record. Others, like Holy Wars... The Punishment due are thought provoking and intelligent, unlike many other metal bands, who's lyrics revolve around Satanic rituals and blasphemy, or dragons. The lyrics fit well with the music, and no songs sound out of place on this record. Dave Mustaine isn't the best singer on the planet, but he definitely makes the most of his voice and the shredding expertise of himself and Marty Friedman take the spotlight off the singing most of the time anyway. // 8

Overall Impression: This is definitely one of Megadeth's best efforts and they managed to hold out as a pure metal band for much longer than Metallica (who everyone seems to think are the same band or something, no Dave Mustaine was thrown out of Metallica 10 years earlier) and this album was definitely a landmark in metal history. It will not be forgotten for a long time. The strongest songs on it I'd say would be Holy Wars, Hangar 18 and Tornado Of Souls, although all are impressive. It's definitely worth buying if you like bands such as Metallica, Pantera or Slayer, and it has been in my CD player for a long time since buying it. Definitely worth a look! // 10

Rust In Peace Reviewed by: Metal _Hellfire, on january 30, 2006

Sound: Firstly I'd like to say that megadeth at this point in their career seemed unstoppable. With another 3 classic releases before this thrash metal fans we're expecting a lot from thsi and Megadeth didn't fail. The sound on this is brilliant except in the demos where the instruments aren't balanced brilliantly (especially the bass). But on the actual album you can hear every instrument perfectly. The drum kit used has a great sound and the guitars have a nice crunchy tone. Dave's vocals we're at his peak on this album aswell so everything sounds good. This is also the first album to include the best Megadeth line up ever. This is Dave Mustaine, Merty Friedman on guitars, Dave Eleffson on bass and Nick Menza on drums. No band can compare to this line up and the album is 100% pure thrash. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics on this are fantastic, mainly about politics and they make sense. I'm sick of people saying that all metal songs are about death and killing but thats not thrash, thrash usually has good lyrical topics (Not just headbanging and leather i.e. early Metallica). Holy wars is about holy wars but when it breaks down into the punishment due it's about the marvel action hero the punisher. Hangar 18 is about alien life forms and government conspiracies. The rest of the lyrics are just stabbing at the government. However I don't have a clue what dawn patrol is about. A waste of disk space or an intro into the title track. Well you decide. As I said before Mustaines vocals are his best on this album! // 10

Overall Impression: Their best album. 'Nuff said. I would kill somebody if they had the onyl copy on earth and take it for my own. It's worth every penny. // 10

Rust In Peace Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 06, 2004

Sound: Incerdible, this is probably the greatest metal guitar album of all Mustaines rhythm playing is second to none and is a leson in acurate rhythm playing. But be warned it is very difficult, espiecially for beginners. Friedmans soloing is in another league. The man is a virtuoso and songs with solos like Hangar 18 or Tornado of souls and in particular Five Magics cant be ignored. And Mustaine is no slouch either with a fantastic solo in holy wars. This is not stright forward thrashing in the vane of Slayer or Exodus, this is complex stuff almost bordering on Progressive metal at times without the overly elongated songs. Fantastic stuff. // 10

Lyrics: Probably the weakest aspect of the album but none the less very good overall. Only a few real weak songs like Lucretia and Dawn Patrol. // 8

Overall Impression: A fantastic album, up there with Slayers 'Reign in Blood and Metallicas 'Master of Puppets'. Simply one of the greatest thrash albums ever made. // 10

Rust In Peace Reviewed by: 6string_Sam, on january 05, 2007

Sound: Firstly, I'd like to say that I purchased the remastered version, which obviously has ironed out any creases made in the original production. This is widely considered to be megadeth's best, and one of thrash's most influential albums. It does not dissapoint. You can pick out any instrument you like when listening, hacking rhythms, soaring leads, smooth basslines, colossal drums and of course Mustaine's distinct vocals. The sound is pretty much perfect, and of course the music on the band's part is absolutely flawless. 01. Holy Wars.. The Punishment Due - fast tempo, all out thrash song. Relentless rhythms spiked throughout, whilst screaming lead guitars circle like vultures. Also includes a beautiful acoustic, middle-eastern run by mustaine in the middle of the onslaught. Absolute classic opening track to a classic album. 02. Hangar 18 - Marty Friedman swansong. A song of two halves, the first a tense, discreet affair, seemingly building up to something, guitar harmonies ride on top of mustaines cautious journal of his fictional tour of a top secret government base. Again, Dave and Marty's leads ominously haunt, untill the song kicks in. The tempo rises, the intensity singes and the song explodes with titanic, exotic solo's gliding around the melee with power and grace. However, the solo's do go on for a long time and do get slightly tedious, but that cannot prevent this song's status as a guitar playing masterclass. 03. Take No Prisoners - enjoyable song, unlike the others is quite vocally driven. Fast tempo with various shred fills at the end of a rhythm line. Highlights are the barbaric roars in reply to mustaines commands at the start of the song, bellowing methods of their enemies demise. 04. Five Magics - very frantic opening, then calming into a spooky bassline being soothed and tamed by slight percussion accompaniment. Then an eerie guitar line descends over the fray, soon joined by a harmony part. After a while, it bursts into the frantic pacey metal song the first few seconds were hinting at. Then before drawing to a close, there enters a traditional thrash breakdown, a storming riff occasionally highlighted by the crunch of the rhythm guitar. It then flows into an iron maiden-esque gallop spearheaded by an insane solo to cap the song off. 05. Poison Was The Cure - a slow, nervy bassline inroduces the song, stripped bare only untill some spectral rhythm work comes in to support. This all builds slowly up to a fast solo on the snare, whcih seems to ignite the detonation that follows. The song erupts into a furious, raging enigma of fretwork, repetitive riffs remeniscent of the first in Pantera's 'Cowboys from Hell'. Fairly straight throughout the rest of the song, off course crashing out with another fierce Friedman solo. 06. Lucretia - rather oddly begins with what I can only assume is a witches laugh. Somewhat unmemorable mostly, regardless of the funky rhythm and choppy rhythmic vocals. This carries on up untill and absolutely epic guitar solo, which is my personal favourite on the album. Friedman completely changes the tone of the song with beautiful runs through some enticing scales, playing with brilliant tone and artistry. 07. Tornado Of Souls - my least favourite on the album. Still a perfectly decent song, has rare vocal harmonies glistening in the chorus, some excellent drum work, however still quite unmemorable in the most part. The vocals in this song also get pretty irritating and repetitive. 08. Dawn Patrol - I don't really know what to say about this song. Very short, all of 1:52 secs long. Built around a very strange laid back bassline, with Mustiane purpously and very monotonously droning about our planet and it's problems. No other guitars present. 09. Rust In Peace... Polaris - kicks off with an ominous circling drum solo, then releasing the rabid guitars, raging with malovence. Everything unfurls into a proper megadeth thrash-fest, and closes this superb album with a superb song. // 10

Lyrics: Megadeth is one of those bands that is oreientated around the music, not the vocals. I wouldn't say Mustaine is an especially talented vocalist, and I can see why his voice would be disliked however I believe he does a good job with the voice God had given him and that he creates that distinct, instantly associable Megadeth sound that people know. And he is by no means a bad singer. Lyrical topics vary from religious murder, comic characters, government strongholds, globl warming etc. // 8

Overall Impression: Overall, I believe this to definately be Megadeth's best album, and I agree with the consideration of this being a thrash milestone. I have absolutely no regrets buying this album, it is utterely brilliant however I am too poor to buy the same album again if stolen, so I would buy something else to broaden my catalogue (this album is also on my computer anyway). Megadeth are without doubt the most talented/technical band out of the thrash four (Megadeth, Metallica, Slayer and Anthrax), and whilst their songwriting may not be as conventional as Metallica's or as heavy as Slayer's, they must stake a claim for being the best metal band to walk this earth. // 10

Rust In Peace Reviewed by: Mental-lica, on october 26, 2007

Sound: Rust in Peace is hands down the best album by Megadeth. Let me tell you up front that I love each and every one of the other Megadeth albums (with the exception of Risk perhaps) and this is easily the best. Released in 1991 Rust In Peace has gone down in history as one of the best metal albums of all time. Dave Mustaine (lead singer and guitarist) and David Ellefson (Bass guitarist) came into this album with a new guitarist and drummer. After firing former guitarist and drummer Jeff Young and Chuck Behler, they replaced them with guitar god Marty Friedman and drumming master Nick Menza to make this incredible masterpeice. Marty is easily one of the bests guitarists ever and in my opinion the best that was ever in Megadeth along with Chris Poland and of course Dave himself and he shows that he's not the sadsack of the block that Jeff Young was. He showed that through amazing solos like Hangar 18, Lucretia, and most notibly Tornado Of Souls. The songs in order go as followed: 01. Holy Wars... The Punishment Due - this song is a great song with a lightning fast main riff and several solos but after you listen to it for the 8th time or so it kind of get boring. 02. Hangar 18 - this song never gets boring with it's 11 solos and high flying riffs, this song is the second best on the album. 03. Take No Prisoners - is an awesome song about World War II and it has some amazing riffage in it. it's a fantastic song with a freakin awesome drum part. 04. Five Magics - love the beginning and it's double guitar part. The vocals are a bit annoying but the guitars are awesome. 05. Poison Was The Cure - this song is the worst off the album, but it's still pretty good. don't let the boring beginning fool you. 06. Lucretia - perhaps the most technically difficult song on the album, Lucretia takes solos to new levels with some amazingly difficult solos (especially by Mustaine). 07. Tornado Of Souls - best song on the album. Period. Amazing vocals and a extremely awesome riff and the best part is the solo. I wont tell you anymore. You have to listen to it! 08. Dawn Patrol - amazing bass line but that's about it. 09. Rust In Peace... Polaris - it's ok. Nothing special about it. The lyrics are horrible though. // 10

Lyrics: This lyrics in this album are probably one of the best parts of it with absolutely amazing lyricist talent shown through every song on the album (with the exception of Rust in Peace... Polaris). Dave Mustaine tunes his voice to as high as he can go while maintaining his snarling dangerous tone he's always had. // 10

Overall Impression: This is the best Megadeth album you can buy and I think from the list I made in the sound section you can determine what I think the best songs are. If it were lost or stolen I would buy it again. If I didn't have the money to buy it again I would die. // 10

Rust In Peace Reviewed by: Busproof, on october 28, 2008

Sound: Megadeth's fourth album, and what many consider their last true thrash album, is one to remember. Also, it's the first album in which frontman Dave Mustaine was completely sober for it's creation. This is the hardcore, punch in the face, thrash metal of the early Megadeth (circa Peace Sells... ) with the technical power of new guitarist Marty Friedman. In the solos, you can see plenty of classical and middle eastern influences, and trust me, there are plenty, plenty, of solos for the fans on this album. This is what many consider Megadeth's greatest musical effort, and I will say that it definately isn't anything short of amazing. // 10

Lyrics: Megadeth's lyrical content evolves from their prior album (So Far, So Good... So What? ) and seems to gain a general focus on political subjects, a theme that was started on SFSGSW, and is fine tuned on Rust in Peace. There's still a bit of variety as far as lyrical topics with tracks such as Five Magics, and Poison Was the Cure offering alternatives. I think this album is also Megadeth's strongest lyrical effort, with tracks such as Holy Wars... The Punishment Due and Tornado of Souls standing out as amazing works of art, lyrically and musically. Once again, Dave's voice continues to evolve as you begin to see his trademark growl start to show it's face again, however, in some aspects the vocals may fall short for fans. I personally didn't like Dave's vocal work on Hangar 18. While, still vocally brilliant, the song kind of lacked. Otherwise, the lyrical section of the album is ace. // 9

Overall Impression: Holy Wars and Hangar 18 alone could make this an album worth mention and comparison with other bands' albums, however, the album offers so much more than just these two tracks, with highly technical solos and powerful thrash riff work on every other track on the album, save Dawn Patrol, which serves as a display of David Ellefson's work on bass, and as a filler for the general political theme of the album. I love the overall solo work on the album. Friedman is a beast, and his team up with Mustaine on this album gives birth to many, many, highly technical, but thrash oriented, tracks. There really isn't anything to dislike here, except maybe Mustaine's vocals on Hangar 18. If this album was stolen or lost, I would definately replace it, as this is the essence of Megadeth. This album captures all of the spirit, the tone, the aggression, and the power of one of thrash metal's greatest acts. I suggest this album to ALL fans of thrash metal, and suggest that anyone who's considering getting into Megadeth to check the album out, if not just for Holy Wars and Hangar 18, but for all of the solo work, especially that in the aforementioned tracks as well as Tornado of Souls and Five Magics. // 10

Rust In Peace Reviewed by: shadows666, on october 27, 2005

Sound: This is the epitome of Megadeth! This has got to be their hardest album to date! An intetresting story about how Dave got the name for the album is as follows. He had just got done sky diving and he speeding on his way home (kinda hard not to considering that he had just had a huge adrenaline rush) and he stopped at a light and saw a bumper sticker that said "May all your warheads rust in peace." That's where he came up with the title. They've had a lengthy career and have put out some good albums, but this is their best. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics on this one are unusual for speed metal. Dave's voice is great for teh lyrical content and fits well with the music. Songs like "Five Magics" deal with wizardry and magic whereas "Holy Wars... The Punishment Due" deals with the comic book character "the punisher." I enjoy the lyrics quite well on this album. // 10

Overall Impression: This has got to be Megadeth's best album! The solo's that Dave and Marty play are insane. The solo at the end of Holy Wars is one of Dave's best solo to date! On songs like "Hangar 18" Dave and Marty have a guitar "battle" with eachother where they trade back and forth solo's like it's child's play. I just love the raw, edgy, in your face sound that megadeth produces and I can't get enough of it! Also, if you buy the remastered version, you are in for a very special treat! Previously un-released demos and songs with chris poland doing some solo's in place of marty! If it were lost, I'd buy it again and if it were stolen, I would find the person who took it I would personally make sure that they had to stay in a hospital because they are in "critical condition." // 10

Rust In Peace Reviewed by: Shreddin 4 Life, on october 06, 2006

Sound: An excellent album in the world that is metal. RIP is an absolutely classic album, and arguably the best Megadeth album: Great guitar riffs, lots of solos, political lyrics. All factors that make an absolutely incredible album in my opinion. Marty Friedman really shines lead-wise on this album, but also, Megadeth's style changed drastically on this effort--for the better! A lot of the songs on RIP have a very progressive approach to them, as opposed to the basic thrash elements that they became famous for in the first place. And apparently, it seems to be the main attraction to this album, as well as the neo-classical touch added; probably coutesy of Marty Friedman due to his work with Jason Becker in "Cacophony" & of course his solo albums as well. All in all, a killer album (with the exception of one song). Furthermore, I've got the remastered version which has the first ever realeasing of alternate versions of the title track, "Take No Prisoners" & "Holy Wars"; all featuring Chris Poland on guitars, which give an interesting contrast to earlier rehearsals of the tunes! // 10

Lyrics: Dave shines as usual, singing about very political issues such as war ("Rust In Peace... Polaris" & "Dawn Patrol" etc) and all kinds of mystical juju ("Five Magics" and "Lucretia," if I'm not mistaken). As usual though, the vocals themselves aren't amazing or spectacular in any way, but the lyrics themselves are so interesting at most times that you can't help but sit back and enjoy the whole thing. // 9

Overall Impression: Like I mentioned above, this is definitely one of Megadeth's best albums (and my personal favourite). RIP is full of classic tracks and is a must-have for any (thrash) metal fan; and of course any Megadeth fan. The best tunes are definitely "Tornado Of Souls", Hangar 18", "Holy Wars... The Punishment Due", "Take No Prisoners", "Five Magics," hell, it's all good. One thing that surprised (and somewhat disappointed) me on this album though is "Dawn Patrol". That particular song is questionable in my opinion, but it seems to serve as a segue for the title track: "Rust In Peace... Polaris", so I suppose no song is out of place on this album! One thing I really love are the extra tunes that were released with this (the remastered) version. Different recordings of songs such as "Holy Wars" & the title track featuring the guitar work of Chris Poland. These offer a cool contrast to the style of Marty Friedman, as well as the old-school approach that Dave used to give to his tunes. Also, another song called "My Creation" was released on it as well; which is apparently about Frankenstein. It's not a particularly interesting piece, but hey: it's still an addition to the album, making it that much more worth your cash at the counter! If RIP were lost or stolen, I'd definitely replace, but I'll probably make a few copies just to make sure I don't lose this one. // 10

Rust In Peace Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 03, 2008

Sound: This album is one of Thrash Metal's landmark albums. It has withstood the test of time and still pulls in new and young fans every day, myself and my entire band being case and point. The album opens with a crown jewl of a thrash song, Holy Wars... The Punishment Due. The song is played at breakneck speeds, has snarling vocals, and impressive solos. A perfect tone setter for the entire album. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are themed mainly around Dave Mustaine's primary subjects, Politcs, War, Addiction, Death, and Anger. He crafts these almost beautifully, if such a word should be used with so brutal and album, with the songs. Although it is much contested, Dave Mustiane posesses the single best voice for a thrash vocalist. And his delivery is precise and still follows through with enough brutality to contest and win over today's screamed vocals, no one touches Mustaine as a Vocalist. // 10

Overall Impression: Of the 4 landmark Thrash albums, Rust In Peace(Megadeth), Reign In Blood(Slayer), Master of Puppets(Metallica), and Fistfull of Metal(Anthrax), this one stands alone as the best. The artists are more developed and tighter musically than in either Reign In Blood or Fistfull of Metal, and unlike Master of Puppets, the album refrains from ballads to maintain it's legendary status. My personal favorites from the album are actually the first three tracks. Holy Wars... The Punishment Due, Hangar 18, and Take No Prisoners. Each of these is lightning fast, and heavy sounding from start to finish. Also, if you can spare the extra cash, I would suggest investing in the Remastered edition, it contains an extra original song, as well as Demos of Rust In Peace, Holy Wars, and Take No Prisoners. All three songs have slightly different lyrics, and include Chris Poland on guitars rather than Marty Friedman, in no way am I stating that Poland is better than Friedman, but hearing the differing styles is still fun. Also, the Holy Wars demo is faster, if you can believe that. If this album was stolen, I would definetly replace it, and be glad to do so. I mean honestly, you just got someone else the greatest Thrash album ever produced. And it was definitely worth the money I paid for it. // 10

Rust In Peace Reviewed by: StarChildSammy, on december 24, 2008

Sound: The sound of this album is pretty god.For me this album is the best creation of Megadeth ever.After the band suffered several line ups, the "classic" line up came: Dave, Marty, David and Nick. For me they represent the best line up that Megadeth ever had, the best musicians. This album shows that the band are the best in Thrash Metal and Speed Metal styles. // 10

Lyrics: This album also shows that in this period of time Dave was fully focused on lyrics.He did very great lyrics on songs such as: Holy Wars... The Punishment Due, Hangar 18, Tornado of Souls, Take no Prisoniers, Rust in Peace... Polaris.For me this album contains the best lyrics that Dave ever wrote. // 10

Overall Impression: In my opionion this album is the best in all Thrash Metal history.It contains very great songs such as: Holy Wars... The Punishment Due very great lyrics, riffs and solos, Tornado of Souls(my favorite song from Megadeth) that has great lyrics, riffs and one of the best solos ever wrote, Hangar 18 great lyrics and awesome solos, but I don't like Dawn Patrol, I don't think it fit very good with the album, yea' it has good bass line but it doesn't fit.If I will ever lose that great album, I surely go and buy another one. // 10

Rust In Peace Reviewed by: mqsand2112, on february 13, 2009

Sound: A fast paced, intense metal album with speeding solos and riffs that will blow your mind. Megadeth does a great job when it comes to speed metal, sure they don't have to play fast but it sounds better when they do. Another thing that boosts Megadeths status when rocking is that the lead guitar just sounds amazing when assembled in the song and Megadeth is lucky to have such a great lead guitarist. Then there are parts of the songs that want to make you keep listening, like in Take No Prisoners there is a three to five second bass solo that is really cool and that stands as a turning piont in the song to kick things up a notch. The best songs soundwise in the album is Hangar 18. // 9

Lyrics: Music, lyrically, is usually about sending some sort of message to the listeners. Megadeth does that perfectly in this album. The whole idea of nuclear war destroying the world and the fighting in the middle east really hits home for Megadeth. They display the message that nuclear war is evil throughout the whole album, even though some of the songs don't focus entirely on the topic the theme sticks around. Megadeth's lyrics are very well educated in a sense. They know what they are talking about and they know why they are talking about it. The best song lyrically is The Holy Wars... The Punishment Due. // 9

Overall Impression: This album was one of those albums you really have to learn to aprecciate. There are a lot of little details that help the band sound better, but they are hard to notice the fisrt time listenening to them. The band's worst mistake was adding the bonus songs and demo versions at the end of the album. I could care less for those songs but I can see why you would want them. The best things about Megadeth in this album are the lead guitar riffs and solos, there are a few good ones in Poison Was The Cure that are worth mentioning, and the solo in Hangar 18 is way cool. The best song I cannot decide on but it's between the Holy Wars... The Punishment Due, Take No Prisoners, and Tornado of Souls. // 9

Rust In Peace Reviewed by: SethMegadefan, on july 11, 2006

Sound: In 1990, Megadeth released one of the greatest thrash metal albums ever created. You know what? That could actually be my whole review right there. But I think I'll elaborate. After kicking Jeff Young and Chuck Behler out partially due to the poor reception of 1988's "So Far, So Good... So What!" (even though I peronally thought it was pretty sweet), Megadeth needed a new guitarist and drummer. Axe-wielder Marty Friedman took the guitar spot while Nick Menza came in on drums, and the "classic" 'Deth lineup was born that would stay intact for four studio albums. Filled with complex guitar solos and even astoundingly hard rhythms, the band's unique song arrangements make the album touch the boundaries of prog metal, and many guitarists (I included) will tell you that it's the band's hardest album to play, by far. And it's not just complex guitar, either; Nick Menza also happens to be an amazing drummer. The intro to "Rust In Peace... Polaris", for instance, is a miniature but impressive drum solo, and maniacal fills and robotic-speed beats blister mercilessly throughout the album. Also, David Ellefson lays down some nice bass lines, though the uncomprehensive production job (as with most of Megadeth's albums) makes him almost impossible to hear. Although he does get a pretty awesome bass solo flurry in "Take No Prisoners", and he's the only guitarist present on "Dawn Patrol". // 10

Lyrics: In my eyes, Rust in Peace shows a lyrical quantum leap when compared to the band's previous 3 albums. The usual war & political themes still reign true, but are delivered from such a more mature approach that the lyrics almost become as astounding as the guitar work (rare for Megadeth; or even thrash metal, for that matter). "Hangar 18" delightfully mocks the government's cover up of alien activity, and tells the story of accidentally stumbling upon a top-secret alien haven, obviously names Hangar 18. "Dawn Patrol" is a creepy 2-minute dark number about how we create bombs and other weapons and seem to think nothing of it, and how it will be the death of us. Mustaine sings in a soft but sinister voice, over a simple drum line and one of the creepiest bass lines ever. The song acts as a prelude to the album's closer, "Rust In Peace... Polaris", into which "Dawn Patrol" segues. The album's closer is perhaps the most disturbing song on the album. Continuing with the theme of "Dawn Patrol", "Rust in Peace" explains in haunting detail the story of the threat of nuclear war, and how the government keeps telling people that it won't happen. Mustaine's verses tell about the inevitable warfare finally happening and describes what is, quite literally, the end of the world. What is probably the most shockingly descriptive and accurate portrayal of this would be the line: "Back to the start, talk of the part, when the Earth was cold as ice/Total dismay as the sun passed away, and the days were black as night". And, of course, Mustaine's brilliantly haunting rhythm work behind it makes it one of the most memorable album-closers ever. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall, there's really nothing here that disappoints. All I can say is that it's easily my favorite Megadeth album. Its ridiculously complex guitar work intertwined with Mustaine's perfectly satirical lyrics make it a true knockout, and you don't have to be a guitarist to see that. // 10

Rust In Peace Reviewed by: AdamDK, on july 23, 2008

Sound: This album is my first Megadeth album, and it has left a huge impression on me about them. The whole mix of speed metal and thrash metal really brings this album to life. 'Holy Wars... The Punishment Due' left me speechless. I never expected the song to be so good, and the riff was breathtaking. As the album progressed, I became more and more speechless, with amazing songs such as 'Hangar 18', 'Tornado of Souls', 'Rust in Peace... Polaris' and 'Take No Prisoners'. The last three tracks on the album are the demos of 'Holy Wars... The Punishment Due', 'Take No Prisoners' and 'Rust in Peace... Polaris' and the demos were amazing. No wonder Megadeth were so critically acclaimed after this album. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics on the album aren't amazing, but they fitted the songs. Also, Dave's voice wasn't spectacular for me, but nevertheless, the music was amazing. The mix between the music and vocals was great, and the vocals always seemed to come in at the perfect time in songs. // 8

Overall Impression: Overall, I love this album. Amazing riffs which keep you hooked and some blistering fast solos, this album is immense. The most impressive songs are definitely 'Holy Wars... The Punishment Due', 'Hangar 18' and 'Take No Prisoners'. Any thrash metal fan would love this album, I seriously do reccommend it to you. // 9

Rust In Peace Reviewed by: Dukey, on september 10, 2010

Sound: Oh lord, is there a word to describe my love to Megadeth and to Dave Mustaine in person? Probably admire... Fits well! (I'm not going to refer the bonus tracks due to my decision... ) The album starts with "Holy Wars... The Punishment Due", my favorite Megadeth song and the clean solo - my favorite Marty Friedman solo of all! It continues with the out of space atmosphere filled with insane shredding of "Hangar 18" - my first Megadeth song. After that Megadeth unleash a song that fits their attitude, "Take No Prisoners" - thrash metal as it was meant to be... Moving on, you'll feel bewitched by the fast riffs and dark sound of "Five Magics", that will make you headbang like a mad dog or something. Along comes "Poison Was The Cure", the intro's build-up feels a little bit too long, but around the 0:55 Nick will paddle his snare to a gnarly-and-fast heavy metal riff like Dave Mustaine know how to write. "Hahahaha", a laughter starts "Lucretia", the song roams like a wolf after it's prey with it's vicious riffs. "Tornado Of Souls" storms in with it's angry riffage that drives you insane and the well-known guitar solo. "Dawn Patrol" explodes you with the rich sound that every bass guitar deserves to have. After that comes the complexity of "Rust In Peace... Polaris" that ends the album at the same old way Megadeth does... Just good! The sound of aggression is deep in the powerful drumming of Nick Menza, in the killer bass of David Ellefson, in the maniac-rattling riffs of Dave Mustaine and Marty Friedman and obviously in Dave Mustaine's fast shredding and Marty Friedman's art full of colors and soul named guitar solo. // 10

Lyrics: Dave Mustaine is not the best singer in the world (Freddie Mercury is... ), but like they said in "Behind The Music" - No one have what it takes to sing like Dave Mustaine! His "snarling" voice sounds good like in the past even in the beginning of his 4th decade of creating music! And the lyrics! Every word has a fistful of meaning! The lyrics are about Dave's common songwriting topics: War ("Holy Wars", "Take No Prisoners"), UFO's ("Hangar 18"), nuclear attacks ("Rust In Peace... Polaris", "Dawn Patrol"), drugs and addictions ("Poison Was The Cure"), relationships ("Tornado Of Souls"), insanity ("Lucretia"), comics' characters ("... The Punishment Due") and movies ("Five Magics"). // 10

Overall Impression: "Rust In Peace" is thrash metal at it's best, along with Metallica's "Master Of Puppets" it's one of my favorite metal albums. In Megadeth's discography "Rust In Peace" is totally their best album. More than "Peace Sells... But Who's Buying?!", "Youthanasia" and "Countdown To Extinction". My favorite songs are "Hangar 18", "Holy Wars... The Punishment Due", "Lucretia" and "Dawn Patrol". If it were stolen/lost, I would kill for this album. But seriously, I would buy it again after searching my house or anywhere. It worth every nickel you spend on it, I learned a lot from Megadeth as a musician and eventually as a person. // 10

Rust In Peace Reviewed by: IronDeathKiss, on january 30, 2012

Sound: Whether you're dropping the needle on a record, pressing play on a Cassette, Sliding in a Compact Disc or putting in your headphones on a device, you know from the first riff of this album, that its gonna be a Metal Masterpiece. This was the first Megadeth album I ever bought (I originally had the compilation Back to the Start, that was given to me by a friend), and from the moment I heard it I knew this band was gonna change my life. This was the first MD album with the Mustaine/Ellefson/Friedman/Menza line-up and there is a reason that was the longest lasting line-up, these four demi-gods created something that will never be forgotten. // 10

Lyrics: The Lyrics on "RIP" go from everything to War and Conflicts, to The Punisher, Alien Captives, Magicians, Ghosts and Nuclear Holocaust. Mustaine's lyrics always impress. His lyrics actually have meaning and in a way warnings when you look at "Dawn Patrol" and "Rust In Peace". Now you can say what you will about Dave's vocal ability, I have always enjoyed his style, the signature snarls and his ability to go from a deep sinister voice to a high melodic voice has impressed me. // 10

Overall Impression: "Rust In Peace" is the definitive Megadeth album and definitely one, if not the greatest Thrash album ever. The songs that impress me the most: - "Holy Wars": As I said before, one of the greatest riffs ever devised. - "Five Magics": Progressive Thrash, From the thunderous intro, into the Bass groove leading into Mustaine's guitar part is gold. - "Tornado Of Souls": This song is fast, its heavy and has one of the greatest solos ever, thank you Marty Friedman. - "Rust In Peace... Polaris": The Drums say it all, and the Chorus is very catchy. I honestly Love everything about this album, the only album that comes close is "Peace Sells". I would buy this album again and again. This is definitely in my top albums ever. And its a lot better than any crap that Metallica put out. // 10

More Megadeth reviews rating latest review
+ Killing Is My Business... And Business Is Good! 8.7 06/06/2013