The System Has Failed Review

megadeth: The System Has Failed
Released: Sep 14, 2004
Genre: Rock
Styles: Heavy Metal, Thrash
The System Has Failed marks a return from the dead for Megadeth ? and quite a glorious return, it must be said.
The System Has Failed Reviewed by: unregistered, on march 24, 2005

Sound: Well, the sound in this record is excellent (I wouldn't expect anything else from Mustaine at this point of his career), compact sound for a compact release. Great musicianship, more "Mustained" than ever, it is known that Chris Poland played the leads in most part of this record, which is great to a fan of earlier Megadeth records like me. Poland has a unique, chaotic style of playing, maybe not as technical as Friedman or Pitrelli - both former guitarists in previous Megadeth line ups, but still very distinctable sound, a mix of old style shredding with some crazy ideas, it reminds very much the "Peace Sells..." spirit. There are songs in the line of "Rust In Peace" or "So Far, So Good, So What" but other seem to be more in the line of "Peace Sells..." and others come from the mind of the latest Mustaine (e. g.: "The Scorpion," "Die Dead Enough"). Changes of tempo in the middle of songs, and the use of back voices doing choruses is very tipical from Megadeth of old, and also are some chord progression used in here. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are coming from various subjects that always seem to be related with Dave Mustaine, such as: world order, cold wars, but also stories of love (with a touch of black humor and irony), twisted personalities, and the second autobiographical song from Mustaine (the first was "Victory" from "Youthanasia"), I'm talking about "Of Mice And Man," an excellent song, that covers even the story with Metallica former bandmates, and of course, his self-destructive tendencies. Mustaine vocal skills never were that great, but this dude has his own style, and it works fine with the music and lyrics. // 8

Overall Impression: This is a great record from a geat band (or a part of the band): every song is great, it covers years of story and many styles; it has strenght, power, definition, the songs are catchy, but agressive and original, they have melody, what else can you ask for? definitely up there with the best Megadeth albums; the only thing I don't like is that the songs don't fit each other making a compact idea of the record as a whole; I mean, you feel the mood of a "Greatest Hits" record, where songs are great, but it lacks of something: the concept of a record as a unit, that sutil spirit that touches every song, but leads them to the whole, which didn't happened (at least, to me) with others Megadeth records, such as "Peace Sells..." (very dark spirit), "Cryptic Writings" (very experimental, powerfull feeling) or even the underrated "Risk" (modern concept, industrial, more mainstream spirit). // 10

The System Has Failed Reviewed by: ibanez1313, on june 13, 2005

Sound: This is the first Megadeth album since Dave Mustaine's wrist injury. It is an amazing return to form for a more aggressive Megadeth, and should be a classic metal album. It is more thrashy than any recent material, but still has some slower tempo songs. 01. Blackmail The Universe - 4.5/5 - awesome, powerful, fast song with excellent drumming and powerful guitar playing. Cool riffs. 02. Die Dead Enough - 5/5 - my favorite song in recent memory. Awesome solos throughout, cool and powerful lyrics, and awesome melodies. 03. Kick The Chair - 4/5 - good, uptempo rocker. Awesome riffs, very cool lyrics. Definately heavey with that power groove feel. 04. The Scorpion - 3.5/5 - cool sound effects and power chord rhythms. I didn't really like the singing/lyrics. 05. Tears In A Vial - 5/5 - awesome verse and chorus. Has a cool, Maiden-esque gallop in the verse. Really cool singing and lyrics. 06. I Know Jack - some consider this filler, but I think it has really coll drums and guitar lines. It is only 40 seconds, so while it is not great, it is cool for 40 seconds no longer. I guess a 2.5/5. 07. Back In The Day - 4.5/5 - very catchy chorus that makes your head nod. Good riffs and intriging lyrics. 08. Something I'm Not - 1.5/5 - I just don't like this song. Not sure why. The lyrics are too talking-like. No real hook or outstanding feature of this song. 09. Truth Be Told - 5/5 - very cool, slow, dreamy verse transforms into a heavy chorus. Will also make you headbang. The verse lyrics are kinda silly, but lend to a cool atmosphere. 10. Of Mice And Men - 4.5/5 - awesome drumming, very interesting lyrics and cool harmony in the chorus. Good, palm-muted guitar parts. 11. Shadow Of Deth - 6/5 - I know I said Die Dead Enough is my favorite song, yet I rated this higher. This is more of a theme, not a song. It is so cool. A sinister voice recites David's Psalm 23 ("The Lord is my shepard...") In the background is some heavy guitar parts, then it breaks into another Maiden-esque lead guitar part. It is so cool, and makes me wanna shove my fist through a wall every time I hear it. (Sadly, it's only 2:15 long). 12. My Kingdom - 2.5/5 - might wanna fast forward the first 10 seconds of the same palm muted chord. Kinda interesting lyrics, but this song doesn't really go anywhere. Some cool parts where he talks (like when he says "Drink from the chalice...") Then goes into a standard metal solo break. // 10

Lyrics: Lyrics aren't too important to me, except when they ruin a song, which they never do here. Pretty good compared to most metal lyrics. Some are very personal of Dave, which I like a lot. Definately a plus. // 8

Overall Impression: Overall 4.5/5. I like nearly every song on this album, which is rare. Definately amazing guitar-work. Highly recommended. I would buy it again if it were stolen. Interesting note, although the cover looks anti-Bush, Dave supports the president and his views on terroism and the war in Iraq. Good for him, he is not as ignorant as many other Hollywood liberal hippie types. // 10

The System Has Failed Reviewed by: Griffer38, on january 29, 2007

Sound: Dave Mustaine is back at it. His first CD since he became a Christian, and I was excited to get it, especially after I heard Greatest Hits: Back To The Start. It was just a different kind of metal I'd ever heard. Megadeth is back and they have one heck of an album to give us. It starts out real aggressive with "Blackmail The Universe". That's a good introduction, but the album's golden egg is the next track, "Die Dead Enough". It's an absolutely sweet combo of subtle melody with strings and Dave Mustaine's signature guitar solos. It is probably my favorite song from Megadeth I've heard yet. Not that that's the only good song. I could rant all day about how good the musical quality of this CD. Megadeth really went all out on this one and it definitely shows. My other favorite song on the album is "Scorpion" which has an eerie, little intro. It's pretty tight. Every song is pretty unique and you really get a feel for that right off the bat. // 10

Lyrics: Dave is back in usual form. He's still ranting about how government has screwed up the country. "Kick the Chair" is his rant about how the jury's for sale and how the system has failed. He still doesn't pile it on with no explaination. That's one of the cool things about it. He doesn't say something is wrong for no reason. He explains what he feels about everything he claims. In "Something I'm Not", Dave gets his shots in at Metallica. "The Shadow Of Deth" is a pretty interesting song, which is actually someone quoting Psalms 23. They fit it in with the music and it sounds pretty good. Dave's vocals are still really good. His versatility lets him go from a relatively low voice to a bit of a higher voice in others. It's very fitting for a band like this. // 9

Overall Impression: All in all, this is an album that you will be listening to for a while. You may get hypnotized by some songs like "Scorpion" and find yourself hitting the repeat button to hear it again. The standout songs for me were "Die Dead Enough", "Scorpion", and "Kick The Chair". These are all filled with shredding, sometimes screaming, guitar and incredible lyrical depth. It's just an album and a half and I'd recommend it to anyone who loves some great thrash metal. // 10

The System Has Failed Reviewed by: unregistered, on october 27, 2004

Sound: Well Megadeth are back in action returning with (wot I think) is the best thrash metal album released since Metallica's 'Master Of Puppets'. Being a huge metallica fan I was very disappointed with St. Anger with no solo's and crappy lyrics and I was hoping that Megadeth would go down like that. And they didn't. This is the best album ever. // 10

Lyrics: Mustaine is a champ. His singing surpasses anything I've heard yet. The songs have meaning in them (unlike St. Anger). The solo's are perfectally placed. Tears in a Vial's solo is right where it should be. Oh and Metallica take note of that word solo and f--ing play some on the next album. // 10

Overall Impression: Best album ever. The Scorpion has the best solo ever, followed closely by tears in a Vial's solo. I only disliked 2 songs in that album and they were still quite good. They were I Know Jack and My Kingdom. best songs are (in order) The Scorpion, Tears In A Vial, Die Dead Enough, Of Mice And Men, Shadow Of Deth (best guitar ever), Back In The Day, Something That I'm Not, Blackmail The Universe, Kick The Chair, I Know Jack and My Kingdom. Shadow Of Deth has the best guitar ever. A very impressive album. // 10

The System Has Failed Reviewed by: Rattlehead666, on november 21, 2005

Sound: This is Megadeth's newest album besides Back To the Start. This album has Chris Poland in it which is one great thing. The riffs to this album are like the first few Megadeth albums. The songs have great solos and great sound. Each of the songs are good and here's the list. 01. Blackmail The Universe - this I think is suppose to be the original name for the album but I'm not sure if thats true or not. It starts off with jets crashing into each other and then a news reporter comes on. The song isn't one bit repeatative and it's pretty fast 10/10. 02. Die Dead Enough - this song at first reminded me of Hanagr 18 a little but now it doesn't. The song is a bit slower but still great 10/10. 03. Kick The Chair - this is propely one of the best songs on this album. It has great riffs and great solos 10/10. 04. The Scorpion - this song isn'y realy the best. It has a few good riffs but the ending is kinda weird 8/10. 05. Tears In A Vial - this song is a bit slower but then it gets a little heavier at the end 9/10. 06. I Know Jack - this is only 38 seconds long 6/10. 07. Back In The Day - this song you can relate to Dave Mustaine's life back when he got kicked out of Metallica 10/10. 08. Something That I'm Not - I'm not sure but I'm pretty sure that this song is aimed at Metallica or either James Hetfield or Lars Ulrich which makes the song even better. The reason why I think this because he says "To sell out your friends and stab them in the back" and "You never made metal buddy, metal made you" 10/10. 09. Truth Be Told - this song has a slow verse but then gets real heavy and great. The solo is good to 10/10. 10. Of Mice And Men - the chorus for this song is good and so are the other riffs and the solo 9/10. 11. Shadow Of Deth - this is one of my favorite songs on the album. It has great riffs and a cool solo part after the singing is done 10/10. 12. My Kingdom - this song connects up with Shadow Of Deth. the intro reminds me of one of the riffs in Seek And Destroy 9/10. Each song except for I Know Jack got great ratings. Mustaine and Poland or in fact any guitarist who was ever in Megadeth was great. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are great. The song with the best lyrics is Something That I'm Not. The lyrics fit the music well and Dave Mustaine is a great vocalist especially in this album. // 10

Overall Impression: This was the first Megadeth album I have ever bought and it won't be the last one I'm ever gonna buy seeing now I have five other albums. The most impressive songs on the album are Blackmail The Universe, Kick The Chair, Something That I'm Not and Shadow Of Deth. I don't hate anything about this album. This has to be one of the best metal releases of 2004. // 10

The System Has Failed Reviewed by: The^Unforgiven, on september 28, 2004

Sound: Megadeth's back in the business! I really, really was afraid that this album would turn out to be full s--t, because the lineup is not very good, and the after hearing "Risk", (and hating it), and not beign very impressed by "The World Needs A Hero", and MetallicA's St. Anger beign such a failure, I really could'nt wait for a masterpiece. But I was wrong! This album kicks ass! I've been listening it for a couple of months now (I Had it on my computer months before it was released) and I really like it. Megadeth has returned more to the earlier days, And I could compare this album to "Rust In Peace", since this one is much more of the original Trash Metal that made Megadeth so great. // 10

Lyrics: I haven't really been noticing the lyrics too much, but on the other hand I haven't noticed anything disturbing in them either. Dave Mustaine sings as decently Not-too-good-but-not-terrible-either as allways. // 8

Overall Impression: The fact is that this album is the best Megadeth album in a long time, and I like it! From the first song, "Blackmail The Universe" to the Closer, "My Kingdom Come", it feels like a fine kick to the face! I'm listening to the album right at the moment, and it makes me feel goooood. The best songs of the album are the fast and furious "Blackmail The Universe", the ultra-trash-metal song "Kick The Chair", the song with the intro "The Scorpion", the short interlude "I Know Jack" and the following song "Back In The Day" and the best song off the whole album, the epic, kicking, smashing "Of Mice And Men". I Don't Like the single song, "Die Dead Enough" I just don't like it too much. I Love the Trashiness and "Let's get back to the time when Megadeth Kicked ass" - mood that it lets out, And I Only hate the lineup. If the album Got stolen, I'd buy a new one, like every single album in my collection. Overall: the best trash album in a long time! Rock on! // 10

The System Has Failed Reviewed by: MegaKyleGio, on october 06, 2004

Sound: When I first heard this album I was apalled, but after just sitting down and listening to it I loved it. The sound is not typical Megadeth, which is one of the downsides, but it has a good sound to it. It's tremendous writing, but its not thrash metal. Background singing and effects sometimes ruin the guitar as well. // 6

Lyrics: The lyrics are definetely Dave Mustaine, with talk of government on a couple of the tracks. Some of the lyrics are cheesy but overall I really like them. His singing skills are still great, but in the some of the songs I just wish he'd shut up the background singing, it's terrible. // 8

Overall Impression: It doesn't compare to other Megadeth albums. I'm used to being able to listen to all the songs on Megadeth cds, but on this one its kind of dull. "Kick The Chair" is an outstanding song, I'd compare to "Take No Prisoners" and "Tears In A Vial" is very catchy. If it were stolen I would buy it again, it's worth the money. // 8

The System Has Failed Reviewed by: unregistered, on october 16, 2004

Sound: When I first heard the cd I hated it. But then I listened to it a few more times and it tends ta grow on ya. I'm liking more n more if it. Mustaine's always had a distinct style when it came to writing songs and it's somethin I've never totaly been able to put my finger on what makes it destinct, but without a doubt, its there [Not to mention the ear bleedin solos] and although theres a lot of ups and a lot of downs on this cd, The System Has Failed is no exception. in short, if you haven't heard it yet, get out there and buy it. // 8

Lyrics: I love the fact its going back to a political "The Government Sucks" kinda veiw like with blackmail the universe and kick the chair which are both f--kin awesome songs. It's realy got a variety of meanings and tones through out the cd with both the lyrics and the playing. And as for mustaines singing, hell, coolest f--kin vox on the planet and he still kicks ass on this cd. And it's perfect for the music he writes. // 8

Overall Impression: Now if you wanna compaire it to past megadeth cds, I think it's their best since Hidden Treasures and Youthanasia. Forgot if Hidden Treasures was made around that time. Screw it, you know what I mean. My personal favorite albums have been their earlier s--t. Nothin from any band past er present can touch "Killing Is My Business... And Business Is Good" and when you compaire those two their ain't much of o contest. But if you hate Risk, then good news comrad, cuase it blows it outa the f--king water! Best song is Blackmail The Universe. And although I don't love every song on there, even if I hate it for the most part, it'll have at least one cool part in it I like to listen to. If it were lost, I'd buy it again, and if it were stolen, I'd punch the bastard in the face! // 8

The System Has Failed Reviewed by: unregistered, on october 26, 2004

Sound: Attention everone, sadly The System Has Failed but this CD is the best heavy metal CD among the fifty of what I own. I heard that this CD is Mustaine's album not really Megadeth. Even though the first 5 albums were crazy good. Risk simply blowed. I mean it was better than those other pop CD's those days but this CD is in the same catagory beside Backstreet Boys. Other than that the CD is awsome and the track with Vic talking, is great. I wonder who does his cool voice. This CD was produced awsome because all the talking that happens in Black mail the unverse fit great. // 10

Lyrics: For the lyrics, all I can say is wow dude all the comments about political stuff is pretty good and the writing about his own life in songs like Some Thing That I'm Not and Ofmice and men I thought was really down to earth and personal stuff, kind of like Use the man. // 10

Overall Impression: I think you'ld have to buy this album cuz Mustaine suffered a lot trying to bring his arm back in shape and he suffered emotionally to as you can see in Some kind of monster. But truly because TSHF is 100% better than St. Anger the two CD's proved that Deth can kick more ass than Tallica. To be honest I'm a big fan of Tallica too but there's no doubt that St. Anger didn't live up to Tallica's promies. // 10

The System Has Failed Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 03, 2005

Sound: First off you know it will be a great quality sounding album if Dave Mustaine produces it himself. The System Has Failed has a crisp sound that makes you hear every little guitar note sound clear. I love the intro to the album with the war plane flying over head or whatever explosion it might be then the double bass with the kick ass riff to "Blackmail The Universe". Overall sound is awesome, if you got Bose system in your house/car you are in for a treat. // 10

Lyrics: Dave Mustaine, in my opionion is known for his lyric ability more than his singing. I love the way Dave write lyrics. It's amazing on what he says in his songs actually makes you think. I think his best lyrics are on the Youthansia album, but this one is pretty close to taking over. Overall, lyrics are awesome, they got all the Mustaine ingredients, the Mustaine snarl, scream, yell, ect. You will not be dissapointed on his lyrics. // 10

Overall Impression: Wow, after I listened to this album for the 3rd time in a row, I have to say more songs have grown on me more. This is thier best album overall since Countdown to Extinction. I recommend this album to anyone that is into thrash, speed, or just good ole Megadeth style! // 10

The System Has Failed Reviewed by: Metalmessias, on february 21, 2005

Sound: The first thing that strikes you when you listen to the album, is how well produced it is. Every sound is exceptionally clear. From the thunder and plane crash effects in the beginning on Blackmail The Universe, through the crunchy speed-metal sound on Kick The Chair to the orchestration on The Scorpion that simply fits perfectly. If you need to compare, it's the sound of Rust In Peace just about 1 decade after that masterpiece was made. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are typical Dave Mustaine, and that's positive. His way of describing the American society and the government sucks - attitude is done in a trustworthy type of writing that also includes Mustaine's own feelings for the past, an incredible mixture of anger and depth. The album title basically says it all. The singer skills of Dave Mustaine have always been misunderstood by critics noting he basically can't sing properly. But with this kind of music, it's not about how high a tone the singer can reach or how clean the voice is. It all comes down to intensity, and there is Dave Mustaine one of rock/metal's true world powers. // 10

Overall Impression: The System Has Failed, doomed to be the last Megadeth album is an album with pure Deth-feel, Mustaine's skills as one of metal's best writers in both music and lyrics really stand out here, as they did on Peace Sells... But Who's Buying, Rust In Peace and Countdown To Extinction. The System Has Failed is one of Megadeth's finest moments, right up there with the aforementioned albums which have already been classics for a decade or so. // 10

The System Has Failed Reviewed by: unregistered, on december 06, 2005

Sound: I've been a fan of Megadeth for years, but I always put them 2nd to Metallica 'cause I grew up with Metallica. I heard St. Anger and wasn't too impressed with it. When I heard The System Has Failed and heard the opening with the report and the riff, I was astonished. It was unbeliveable. The whole album was a fresh of breath air to the metal community thats been faltering these past few years. Every song on there was unique, yet badass as well. This album has all the ingredients from Killing to Countdown, with speed thrash riffs, with just heavy chugging melody. Dave Mustaine to me is the godfather of metal music. // 10

Lyrics: Dave strikes out with his lyrics and writes about what he writes best, corruption, politics, capitalism. Also with songs like Back in The Day, Something That I'm Not, and Of Mice Of Men, he reflects on old school metal, and his relationship with Metallica, and his coming forth with Megadeth. Not one song on this album has lyrics that dont fit, everything is just plain perfect. Yeah, truth be told, Dave's not the greatest singer in the world, but hes a helluva lot better than almost every metal singer out there nowadays (you can actually understand what hes saying without having to look into the booklet) and he's the only one who can sing out there and be real catchy. // 10

Overall Impression: This is by far the best Megadeth album out there. It's basically a reflection on his music career for the past 20 years. It's got the speed of RIP and SFSGSW, the heaviness of CTE and PSBWB, and the meldoy of all of em. The greatest song on here to me hands down is Kick The Chair. Fast speed riffs, great lyrics, outstanding solos, such a headbangin song, Blackmail the Universe is 2nd in command on that one, especially Daves 1st Solo on there when he taps, sure brilliance. This puts Megadeth as my #1 band, they are the best. // 10

The System Has Failed Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 10, 2006

Sound: This album is very solid. It really fells like it's everything good that Mustaine did in his career put into one little disc. The guitar playing is very good, adn you can tell Poland has improved tremendously over the nearly 20 years since Peace Sells with blindingly good solos. The bass and drums are very good. My only complaint is that some songs have very boring buildups and others seem like filler. // 8

Lyrics: This is the most politically driven album since Rust In Peace (TWNAH had some lyrics like that as well). There are all kinds of corruption based stuff like I Know Jack, Blackmail the Universe, andf Kick The Chair. There are a couple of inner emotional songs (Die Dead Enough, Tears In A Vial). Other than that Mustaine Rules! // 10

Overall Impression: This is a good Megadeth album. Personally I like The World Needs a Hero better but this is good album for longtime fans of the band. My favorite song on it is Tears In A Vail. Other favs would be Die Dead Enough, Blackmail, Of Mice and Men, and My Kingdom. I'm just wondering what Mustaines gonna come up with next?. If any of my cd's of this band were stolen I would be super pissed (acually my SFSGSW was stolen before and I was), and I would definatley buy it again and again. // 9

The System Has Failed Reviewed by: Shreddin 4 Life, on december 14, 2006

Sound: Oh man, what an album. Most bands that get to this point in their career usually have a funny way of making the fans lose interest. But however, Megadeth really seemed to have pulled off a really nice one here. Even though this album was done around 2003-2004, you could swear that it's a classic and that it was done at some point in the 80s! The return of Chris Poland just further made this album seem so, with leads and riffage that brings you back to the good old thrashy days of "Peace Sells... But Who's Buying." Really old-school-sounding guitar tones and leads that could be no other than Megadeth; truly a must-have fer 'Deth fans. Dave's vocals have lost a bit of their kick from the actual early days; but the layering of both the guitars & vocals really shows you that even though these guys are getting kinda old, they've also really matured musically! In fact, I've heard that Megadeth has been using some old school recording techniques lately that they were using in order to get the sound that they have now, so like their latest "greatest hits" compilation says: "Back To The Start" indeed. // 9

Lyrics: Well, as I just mentioned ealier, the actual vocals themselves are not quite what they used to be in terms of range and everything; but that's generally pretty normal, everyone gets old. But anyways, along with the natural maturing of the members; so to came the maturing of the lyrics. Songs like "Scorpion" really show this since the themes in the songs show that there's more to 'Deth than meets they eye. Plus there's the ever-great-sounding classic style tunes such as "Back In The Day" which have grooves that really take you back to those early days. // 8

Overall Impression: All in all, this is one of the best Megadeth albums ever released in my honest opinion. Of course it'll never compare to anything done during the Marty Friedman years; but hey, that doesn't mean that it's still not a great album. In the least, this is the greatest 'Deth album to have been released in recent years. The best tunes for me are defintely "Kick The Chair", "Scorpion" & "Back In The Day," but don't let those tunes throw you off; the whole album is worth as much time as you can give it. Hell, even the shorter tunes like "In The Shadow of Deth" act as great segues into other tunes (which are quite reminiscent of Rust In Peace's "Dawn Patrol"). If only perhaps some of the solos were a little more extravagant, this would've been an even sicker album; but I suppose you can only go so far slapping 3-one minute & a solos in almost every song! Other than that; this is pure Megadeth baby! So just sit back and enjoy the tunes. If I ever lost this, I'd have to run up and kick that SOB thief's chair over and show him how to "Die Dead Enough"! No, not really; but I would be goddamn pissed I'll tell you that. // 9

The System Has Failed Reviewed by: Busproof, on december 11, 2008

Sound: The System Has Failed, Megadeth's tenth studio album, is a trip back to the bands familiar thrash metal roots, a sound that had been nearly dropped in their previous radio-rock heavy album, Risk, but was reinstituted in The World Needs a Hero. it's also the first album prior to frontman and rhythm guitarist Dave Mustaine's damaged nerve accident. This album is the polar opposite of Risk, baring lots of thrash oriented riff work, political lyrics, and solos played by featured ex-Megadeth guitarist Chris Poland. Pure, heavy hitting, Megadeth. // 9

Lyrics: Vocally, it's what I've come to expect of Mustaine. While not as growl oriented as the bands early releases, it still packs that thrash angst that Mustaine is infamous for. Still, no real thrills in that department. Lyrically, it's an excellent effort. Songs like Blackmail the Universe and Kick the Chair are lyrically ingenious and contain many of the standard lyrical puns Megadeth is known for. The lyrics also suit the instrumental work as well, with the cynical anti-political songs having strong thrash metal support. // 8

Overall Impression: Overall, it's an extremely strong come back following Mustaine's accident, and a definate improvement on The World Needs a Hero. I didn't experience any real disappointments with the album, knowing as soon as the riff came in on Blackmail the Universe that Megadeth was back, but it's still no match for the bands early work. it's no Peace Sells by any means, but it's a nice breathe of fresh air from their previous more radio oriented albums. I love Blackmail the Universe and Kick the Chair. They both seem to fit the general theme of the album's title as well as the cover artwork (which, in itself, is another awesome thing on it's own). Would I recommend this album? Sure. Fans who have grown accustomed to the less intense sounds of Risk and The World Needs a Hero may feel a little out of place listening to the album, but fans of the classic thrash-oriented Megadeth will find some gems here. Megadeth fan or not, I'd suggest all metal fans at least give this album a try. // 9

More Megadeth reviews rating latest review
+ Super Collider 6.4 09/06/2013