The World Needs A Hero Review

megadeth: The World Needs A Hero
Released: May 15, 2001
Genre: Speed Metal, Thrash Metal, Progressive Metal, Heavy Metal
Label: Sanctuary
"The World Needs A Hero" does indeed prove to be the band's heaviest offering in quite some time, certainly much more so than "Risk".
 Lyrics: 8.5
 7.6
 8.8
 6.4
The World Needs A Hero Reviewed by: unregistered, on october 26, 2006

Sound: Megadeth has been a band of different albums but all have spun from the guitar genius of Dave Mustaine. This is the first album without Marty Friedman in a decade, but not enough credit goes to his replacement Al Pitrelli or drummer Jimmy De Grasso (who was previously on Risk). Maybe because they had big shoes to fill or because it was the only album with this line up but they play really well together. David Ellefson's final album with band goes out terrifically with very driving rhythms and grooves. As a bassist I must say Ellefson has the greatest bass tone in thrash metal. This album seems to compile a collection of sound from every previous album. From the technicality of Rust In Peace to the melodic harmonies of Youthanasia, and with multiple solos (a Megadeth trademark) their just really good songs. // 9

Lyrics: Mustaine to me is one of the greatest songwriters in history. He can write lyrics for just about anything. His voice may not be "pretty" but it instantly recognizable and no other singer could pull off singing for Megadeth. 01. Disconnect - the opening track is by far my favorite song on the album and one of my 5 favorite songs ever by them. It has a great riff and a fantastic melodic chorus. The main highlight of this song has to be Mustaines solo though. 02. The World Needs A Hero - really cool intro and has a catchy bass riff. Lyrics are about well someone stepping up to help the world out. 03. Moto Psycho - cool catchy song with great chug riff and has Dave's "don't mess with me attitude", nice solo fills and layered vocals. 04. 1000 Times Goodbye - I love this song, kinda reminds me of Rust In Peace-era Megadeth, cool lyrics about leaving someone, and nice fight in the middle of the song where Mustaine says "you know what you suck!" Also great guitar playing 05. Burning Bridges - this is a dark song but also my least fav. I like how the chorus goes and that's about it. 06. Promises - the softest song they've ever done, great string riff, my only complaint about it is that it's solo section sounds really cheesy 07. Recipe For Hate/Warhorse - yet another catchy bass riff from Ellefson during the 1st part of the song, it's a slow start but it picks up later in the song to a fast thrash part which is reminiscing those days of Killing to Countdown 'Deth. Awesome solos and double bass drumming in the fast part. 08. Losing My Senses - a pop rock song, kinda cool I don't have much to say on it 09. The Dread And The Fugitive Mind - awesome, amazing, song great riff and lyrics with him singing that Sweating Bullets 3rd person kinda thing during the verse, the best part of the whole song is Pirelli's solo that closes the song. 10. Silent Scorn - seems like filler, but I like that whole trumpet build-up. 11. Return To Hangar - sequels to songs are never as good as the original (ex. Metallica's Unforgiven 1&2) This song just sounds pretty cool but the best part is the duel solo bridge section. Just doesn't compare to the classic though. 12. When - slow song for a while the best part is like 4-5 minutes into the song (9 mins. total) when it goes in to this awesome riff which is ripped from Am I Evil (but I'm not complaining) and some cool solo's good way to end the album. // 10

Overall Impression: This is a good album to start off listening to this band if you are a beginner. This thrash album just has a lot to offer in the Megadeth catalog. Once you get this and like it you can move on to Rust In Peace, Peace Sells, and Youthanasia. If this album was stolen or lost I would really like to beat up the a-hole who took it from me but I would defiantly get it again. // 9

The World Needs A Hero Reviewed by: koencr, on june 15, 2012

Sound: This one of the best produced albums to be put out by Megadeth. I love the sound of the guitars on this one! This Megadeth's first record after their 1999 debatable output "Risk". It's indeed more heavy sounding than a lot of their 90's stuff. It does have some more commercial and radio friendly sounding songs on it. Think of "Moto Psycho" and "1000 Times Goodbye". // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics are in some points very sharp and even funny and some of em are little bit weaker. // 7

Overall Impression: Overall, this album doesn't really compare to their other records. It is stronger than risk and I prefer it over the system has failed. I do think "TSHF" is a better record but I love the sound of this record. I love the title track and promises. I hate losing my senses and I worship disconnect. I think this is a pretty decent record. But the other review gave it a score that way to high. // 7

The World Needs A Hero Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 27, 2005

Sound: This guitar work really got me into Megadeth. Dave Mustaine unleashes a constant assault of mind-busting riffs. From the epic "1000 Times Goodbye" to the spanish-like soloing of "Recipe For Hate," this album delivers your guitar dreams. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are great. There is very little rhyming on this album, but the lyrics are very deep. "Moto Psycho's" lyrics are very unusual, but how often do you hear Dave Mustaine say "baby"? // 8

Overall Impression: This is one of Megadeths best by far. It may not be as heavy as Rust In Peace or Peace Sells, but it delivers. This is a great album to start with of your just getting into Megadeth. // 10

The World Needs A Hero Reviewed by: shadows666, on october 04, 2006

Sound: I was skeptical when my friend told me to get this album and now I'm very glad I got it! Megadeth still had that thrash sound that they've always had. These guys are on of the few metal bands that still play and standard tuning and don't feel the need to tune down(Youthanasia is an exception I guess). // 10

Lyrics: Even though Dave Mustaine is older, he can still sing. The lyrics are still that of good ol' Megadeth! The title track, among others, is very heavily political in it's lyrics. It just proves that Megadeth still have their raw edge when it comes to politics. The lyrics fit smoothly with the music and it all flows together nicely. // 9

Overall Impression: While this album obviously has nothing on Rust In Peace, it still stands up to being one of the better Megadeth albums out there. "A Dread in the Fugitive Mind", "Return to Hangar", and "1000 Times Goodbye" are just a few of the noteworthy tracks that kick ass! Al Pitreli and Dave Mustaine play some kick ass solo's on this album. "Return to Hangar" still has that same "Hangar 18" feel to it with Pitreli and Mustaine switching back and forth on solo's. There is one track on this album that I never saw coming. Megadeth made a f--king ballad called "Promises". It was wierd. I never expected Megadeth to have a ballad (In My Darkest Hour does not count). If this album were lost or stolen, I would defenitley go but it again. I can't really think of anything about this album that I hate because I love this album. // 10

The World Needs A Hero Reviewed by: Shreddin 4 Life, on december 16, 2006

Sound: Well, even though this album sort of strayed from the general sound that Megadeth was used to putting out; this album still proved to be another decent one. After Marty Friedman's leave, Al Pitrelli took over the lead guitar department; and he never really seemed to cut it in my opinion. Some classic riffage here (as usual) but for some odd reason a lot of the riffage seems quite half-assed and oversimplified, especially for Mustaine. However, the sound itself is quite refined and the instruments have a generally sharp tonal quality to them all. Dave's vocals suffer a little (inevitably) but hey, he was never a great singer anyways. On the plus side (for me anyways), some of the rifs and licks sound very familiar because of their Metallica-era roots that are reminiscent of tunes like "The Call Of Ktulu." // 8

Lyrics: Well, Mustaine pulled out some pretty cool lyrics for this one; but touched a little more on the soft side; writing lyrics tha have much more to do with lost/unrequited love than the usual political stuff that he bacame synonymous with. However, they proved to be some really cool tunes and show you yet another different side of Mustaine, particularly after the "Risk" album (which if you ask me was appropriately titled). Of course, the actual vocals aren't spectacular but still get the job done in my opinion. All in all, a decent effort from Mustaine in general. // 8

Overall Impression: Well, this doesn't come anywhere close to a Marty Friedman-era album but it's still a really cool addition to a 'Deth fan's aresenal. It beats the hell out of "Risk" but still doesn't even match up to "The System Has Failed;" so it's pretty well in-between for me. My favourites are "1000 Times Goodbye", "Burning Bridges", "Promises", "Recipe For Hate... Warhorse" & "Dread And The Fugitive Mind". I must give honourable mentions to "When" and "Return To Hangar". In fact, the concept behind that particular tune is really awesome because it's literally a return to the storyline for Rust In Peace's "Hangar 18," it's just too bad that it doesn't stack up nearly as well as the original. Overall a decent album but I guess losing it (as usual for me) would just mean a new replacement. // 8

The World Needs A Hero Reviewed by: Madaxeman1618, on january 21, 2006

Sound: Not quite back to original Megadeth standards of the first five albums but interesting and different non the less. Dave's singing still takes some getting used to but the addition of Al Pitrelli on lead guitar gives the band a sound not heard since the departure of Marty Friedman. Still poppy in parts like youthenasia and Risk but in songs like Burning Bridges and Return to Hanger the greatness of Dave as a songwriter shines through once more. Overall, a good sound with awesome guitars, heavy basslines and good thrashy uses of double bass pedals. // 9

Lyrics: The most bitter Megadeth album to date, by far. Songs like Recipe For Hate... Warhorse and When are incredibly emotional and one of the best moments on the album comes from the breaking up song; 1000 times goodbye in which the line: "Ya know what? You suck!" appears. Good timing of lyrics and music gives a generally good overall sound although Dave trademark snarl may still put a few people off. // 9

Overall Impression: A much better album than its recent predecessors, getting back toward the brilliance of Peace Sells, RIP and CTE. Highlights of the album include Recipe For Hate... Warhorse; a meaningfull depressive intro with a strong bassline followed by a thrashy song with some brilliant solos, Promises; a haunting love song with well worked backing of a string section, Burning Bridges; the best of the album by far with a heavy low riff, a catchy chorus and brilliant double time solo section and an awesome solo riff from Mustaine, and Return To Hanger; a sequal to the classic Hanger 18 with not quite as many solos but still very catchy and virtuoso. All in all a very good album, definately worth buying. If mine was stolen I would hunt the theif down and burn their soul. // 10

More Megadeth reviews rating latest review
+ Super Collider 6.4 09/06/2013