United Abominations Review

megadeth: United Abominations
Release Date: May 15, 2007
Label: Roadrunner Records
Genres: Metal
With some songs featuring around 10 guitar solos, Megadeth proves they still have some of the best guitar work around today.
 9.1
 9.2
United Abominations Reviewed by: UG Team, on may 23, 2007

Sound: Solos, solos, and more solos -- I'm in heaven. If you have not been getting your fair guitar work in the records out today, Megadeth has returned to solve that problem in a big way. The latest record United Abominations is a testament to the talent of guitarists Dave Mustaine and Glen Drover, with song after song featuring dueling guitar solos that are simply amazing listens. While there is also a heavy dose of politically charged lyrics that may seem a bit much at times, it's actually refreshing to have the Peace Sells Mustaine of old back on the scene. The album begins with Sleepwalker, which features a beautifully executed clean guitar intro that quickly morphs into the distorted fury of the Mustaine-Drover team. It has a lot of similarities to Megadeth's older work and that's a very, very good thing. There was a while where Mustaine was producing a bit more radio-friendly material (he actually said this on VH1's Behind The Music), so hearing the furious rhythm toward the end of the song is just a breath of fresh air. When the CD hits the second track Washington Is Next, there is a big political turn that is not necessarily anything new for the veteran band. Megadeth has created some of it's best songs (Holy Wars... The Punishment Due, Peace Sells) around a political theme and it's usually pretty effective. Washington Is Next is not the most thrilling example of songwriting on the album, but there is still some nice guitar work throughout the entire track. In fact, when it hits the bridge section it suddenly becomes a whole different, exceptional beast by speeding up and adding in some very cool Middle-Eastern-sounding solo work. Megadeth re-recorded A Tout Le Monde (Set Me Free) with Lacuna Coil vocalist Cristina Scabbia for United Abominations, and it's hard to say if it was necessary. The new version has a bit more of a produced, grand sound, which will probably appeal to plenty out there. But the version originally on the Youthanasia album was just as good in many ways and didn't require layered background vocals or a female voice to make it better. After 25-plus years in the business and overcoming a serious arm injury, Dave Mustaine still sounds and plays as great as ever. If there was any uncertainty if he can play as good as some others out there, listen to the closing solo on Burnt Ice and that doubt should be put to rest. The combined melody and speedy on Mustaine's solo is just phenomenal. Guitarist Glen Drover also plays many awe-inspiring solos on the latest record and will hopefully get a bit of the limelight as well. // 9

Lyrics: As was said before, there are quite a few politically driven songs on the album, not to mention the fact that the title United Abominations is a play on the words United Nations. If you're familiar with Megadeth's past work, you probably will find all the songs pretty standard faire. However, some newcomers might think all the talk about Iraq and war is overkill. Regardless, Mustaine has still managed to write thought-provoking lyrics that mean something. Washington Is Next provides the best example of Mustaine's way with words. He sings, The quiet war has begun with silent weapons; And the new slavery is to keep the people; Poor and stupid, 'Novus Ordo Seclorum'; How can there be any logic in biological war? Every verse has some sort of descriptive take on the war, and it never gets mundane or overly preachy. // 9

Overall Impression: Not enough can be said about the guitar work on United Abominations. There are several songs that immediately stand out after just a riff or 2, and then you get multiple solos on top of everything. Thankfully Megadeth (rounded out by bassist James Lomenzo and drummer Shawn Drover) was kind of enough to list which guitarist performs each solo in the liner notes, and it would be nice if more bands were as specific in their own album credits. The past few albums have disappointed many fans, but this latest record proves that Mustaine and the band still has a lot of life in them. If you are needing proof before buying the album, hunt down the tracks Play For Blood, You're Dead, and Burnt Ice. Make sure it's not just a snippet of the songs, either -- to fully appreciate the songs, you've got to enjoy 8, 9, or 10 solos that might be lurking around the corner. // 9

United Abominations Reviewed by: I was here, on may 23, 2007

Sound: 20+ years and Megadeth still has it. The follow up to '04s System has failed has not failed to impress; everything on this album is good, the guitars, vocals, bass, drums, and lyrics all are the strong points to the album. Many of the tracks are solid while some flourish and others stay mediocre. This album has some (actually most of them) songs that go back to the their thrash Peace Sells/Rust In Peace roots. There are fast riffs, clean riffs, shred solos, hard heavy riffs, and I think a funk (lucreta) sounding riff. Overall this album sounds like something that was coming from the early '90s, with it's hard core shred solo's and intruments, although their instuments are outstanding their lyrics could have been a little better. // 9

Lyrics: 01. Sleepwalker - a great opener. This song opens with a cool clean guitar part that quickly builds energy to a moderate thrash riff that builds into a song that reminds me of a cross between black friday, bad omen, and tornado of souls lyric wise. The song is cool but the chorus is repetitive and simple, but otherwise everything is awesome including the solos and the little thras riff that sounds a lot like the last riff before the final solo on Five Magics. 02. Washington Is Next! - great song, well good. This song has a riff that reminds me of Iron Maidens "the trooper" and has a chorus that reminds me of symphony of destruction (lyric and vocal wise) This song overall is good and has great solos especially the opening to the the first solo. 03. Never Walk Alone... A Call To Arms - this song reminds me of Tornado of Souls from the chorus to the intro, the only thing that doesn't remind me of tornado of souls is the cool bridge solo part that starts at around 2:30, mediocre song overall, but has cool solos. 04. United Abominations - this song starts with a clean guitar and has cool solos but that's about it. I'm not really sure about this song necause the verses are good but the choruses are repetitive, but the part after the chorus is pretty good. 05. Gears Of War - the highlight of the album, I like this song a lot and even though it isn't the fastest or the most solo filled song it still never falls short of amazement. This song is heavy and reminds me of Polaris, trust, and something else I can't put my finger on it. After the second chorus it has this cool blues sounding riff that leads into a pretty good solo, which leads back into the blues riff which leads into a Rust in Peace style solo. 06. Blessed Be The Dead - pretty good, the intro sounds like a rock intro. This song would be better if the lyrics and chorus were changed. Unfortunatly the album kinda goes downhill from here. 07. Play For Blood - opens with a solo and a choppy sounding funk riff. The verse's guitar reminds me of take no prisoners. This like Blessed Be The Dead would be better if they would change the lyrics around a little bit oh yeah the solo's start to sound the same right about now. 08. A Tout Le Monde (Set Me Free) - random! 10+ years later and Megadeth decides to remake this song? Oh well it offers some relife from the dry spot between this song and Unided Abominations. This song is a little bit faster and is sung with a women in the background (I'm sorry I'm drawing a blank on her name). 09. Amerikhastan - this song has a lot of solos and reminds me of wake up dead and hangar 18 because more than half of this song is an instrumental, but is not as good. 10. You're Dead - the intro is cool and reminds me of another previous Megadeth song, the verses are pretty cool, and at about 1:11 this cool harmony guitar starts but ends quickly. This song is alright. 11. Burnt Ice - again same You're Dead, couls use a lot more work. // 9

Overall Impression: Megadeth has come along way since the days of risk, and are one step closer to producing another Rust In Peace, the instruments are heavy and fast and Dave's vocals rock, but the only thing wrong with this album are the repetitive choruses, and lyrics on some tracks. My Faves are Sleepwalker, Washington Is Next!, Gears Of War, and United Abominations. Those tracks are without a doubt the stand out tracks of ther album and I recommend you listen to them. Great job guys you're almost there! // 9

United Abominations Reviewed by: Shredzorz, on may 23, 2007

Sound: First of all, the sound quality of this album is great. Very good cleans and crisp distortion. The album may steer away from what older megadeth fans hoped for. It is much more progressive than previous megadeth albums, and dave uses melody and harmony very well in the chorus of a number of the tracks. One thing that sticks out about this album is the fact that megadeth uses great melody while still maintaining thrash and heaviness in all the tracks. The first 5 tracks are gems, but like their previous release it seems to deteriorate as the disc comes to an end. // 8

Lyrics: Dave and politics go hand in hand, and if you listen to megadeth you know exactly what to expect as far as vocals. The con is that Dave goes a little overboard on this album. Some of the lyrics scream cheesy more than every before. Despite the occaisonal eye roller Dave still manages to sing at his best. This may very well be Dave's best vocal album. // 7

Overall Impression: Its no countdown to extinction or rust in peace, so if you are expecting a thrash album don't buy it, but if you want an album that is heavy, fast, and melodic definately buy it. If it were stolen or lost I would pick it up again, it fills a good spot in the Megadeth collection. // 8

United Abominations Reviewed by: (...), on may 23, 2007

Sound: Let me tell you now, this album is one of the best sounding Megadeth albums. Great quality. I love the crisp sounds produced by Shawn Drover on drums. For finger picking, the bass is quite audible, and the guitars are not to loud or thin, they are just right. This is a true Megadeth record; it has an edgy and aggressive sound to it. It is great to hear Megadeth's sound back to form. // 10

Lyrics: Three words describe these lyrics: aggressive, apocalyptic, and political. True to the style of Dave Mustaine! The lyrics from "Blessed are the Dead" are great. Same with "Burnt Ice," a song about crystal meth abusers. Some lyrics are funny, such as "Amerikastan."Although Dave is not the best vocalist, his vocals on this record are some of his best. The music and lyrics comply completely. // 9

Overall Impression: This album is beautiful, much better than "metal" albums released today. I'm sure that this will become a instant classic. The only thing about the album is that the rhythms are pretty funky, which means that the songs might not seem appealing at first. This is the only reason I rate this part nine. After two or three listens, you will be hit with the awesomeness that is Megadeth's latest, and of their greatest, release, United Abominations. // 9

United Abominations Reviewed by: solidruler21, on may 23, 2007

Sound: The highly anticipated album "United Abominations" comes out for the US tomorrow on March 15th. Once again, Dave Mustaine and his new crew deliver a hard hitting album that won't disappoint fans worldwide. Although Mustaine is the last remaining original members, he still is able to maintain the same classic Megadeth sound while still allowing growth for his new members. The albums music is nothing short of amazing. The music remains hard hitting, sounding like a classic old album while still showcasing something new and fresh, which is hard for a band that's lasted so long to do. The riffs will keep any metal fan headbanging throughout the album, and make guitarists scurry to their guitars to learn them as quickly as possible. The solos are just fast and furious, but also beautiful and smooth. Glen Dover is a highly underrated guitarist and he really comes out in this album as a more gentler soloist then Mustaine, maintaining a legato stride throughout his solos, while still managing to sneek in some really complex licks. Mustaine is better then ever before, throwing out some fierce solos while also maintaining that clean and straight style he is known for. Ever song is original except for "A Tout Le Monde" which Mustaine re-recorded with the lead singer Cristina Scabbia of Lacuna Coil for this album. The addition of the female vocals makes the song more elegant then it was before. Both of the vocalist seem to compliment each other throughout the song, and it helps that Cristina Scabbia's voice is very angelic and smooth. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics remain as political and controversial as ever before, exactly the way Mustaine intended. There seems to be a central theme throughout the lyrics and the entire album. The art cover and the back story on the booklet all tie in to the lyrics and the albums central theme. I won't give away the theme so the fans could enjoy figuring it out themselves, but you should already guess it involves politics and national destruction. Certain songs ask for certain lyrics, and Mustaine truly delivers. When the guitars are hard hitting, fast and furious, Mustaine delivers the vocals with that almost demonic voice of his, without sounding like he is straining himself or going to far out of his range. Indeed, in this album, I don't think fans will be whining that Mustaine sounds too "whiny" as in the previous albums. While some songs are somewhat darker then others, Mustaine's Christian influences do come out on some of them, especially on the song "Never Walk Alone... A Call to Arms" which could be interpretted in many ways, one being that a higher power is always with you. // 8

Overall Impression: In the beginning of the thrash era, and leading the movement afterwards, Metallica always seemed ahead of the game. While Megadeth was always closely behind, Mustaine himself admits Metallica was the bigger band. That was back in the 1980s. Today, it is safe to say that Megadeth has far surpassed Metallica. Though Mustaine remains the last original member (indeed Mustaine is Megadeth) the band remains fiercer then ever before. While Metallica went through the stages and produced albums completely different from the one before, Megadeth always tried to remain true to it's origins and keep the thrash era alive through the decades. United Abominations comes out tomorrow, but I've had it since last Friday, and it's a great listen. For the generation of today, I would dare to say that I wouldn't be surprised if it turns to one of those classic albums. It's heavy hitting, thrashy with old and new tastes combined, the harmonies are beautiful as are the legato moments on the album, the theme remains through the album, the solos by Dave Mustaine and Glen Dover are nothing short of masterful, and Mustaine is a god. I'd recommend any fan of metal to go get it, you won't be disappointed. Each song is enjoyable to listen to, and I hold this album in high regard to some of Megadeth's classic albums such as R.I.P. or P.S.B.W.B. If it were stolen, I would buy ten copies to make sure I never run out of it again. Oh, and wait till you see Vic with hair and skin. // 10

United Abominations Reviewed by: sheppo, on may 23, 2007

Sound: When the opening track hit my ears I was taken back to the glorious '80s thrash days. Dave Mustaine and his "Motley Crue" erupt with percision riffs and blistering solos followed by powerful lyrics. The story behind this album is no puzzle to figure out, it regards todays political issues and problems. // 10

Lyrics: Mustaine pulls no punches in his lyrics, they are direct and straight to the point on current political and social topics. One of the most polarizing parts of the new album is the inclusion of the remake of the song "A Tout Le Monde (Set Me Free)," featuring guest vocals from Cristina Scabbia of Lacuna Coil. Although the song had a faster tempo and some female vocals the overall sound of the song, in my opinion the song should of been left alone. // 9

Overall Impression: United Abominations is the best Megadeth album in at least a decade. The band's current lineup consists of Mustaine with guitarist Glen Drover, bassist James LoMenzo and drummer Shawn Drover. This CD features some outstanding guitar work from Drover and Mustaine. It's also very pleasing to hear some classic style extended solos. Overall this album is fantastic, it delivers all the needs for your stereo-typical "Metalhead" and is yet another influential part that Megadeth has Provided for the past two decades. // 9

United Abominations Reviewed by: KingCody, on may 23, 2007

Sound: I had high expectations of the new Megadeth album before listening to it. I had seen the Drover brothers in action and had expected something amazing with the combination of them and Dave Mustaine. They certainly deliver a pure masterpiece with the release of their new album United Abominations. The album opens up with acoustic guitars like a classic metal album then brings in the heavy riffs of classic Megadeth. Throughout the album back to back solos by Drover and Mustaine make for a great listen. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics, suggested by the title, obviously deal with the government and the faults of the United Nations. With lyrics like "Poverty in their kitchens, Held hostage by oil-for-food," and "How can there be any logic in biological war?", Megadeth shows that they are well aware of worldly affairs. Dave Mustaine has the unique voice that is an important part of Megadeth. His vocal style gives Megadeth their distinct angry and agressive sound. // 10

Overall Impression: This album reminds me of Youthanasia era Megadeth, especially with the redone version of A Tout Le Monde. My favorite songs on the album are Sleepwalker, United Abominations, Gears of War, Play For Blood, Burnt Ice, and You're Dead. I actually like all of the songs. This album is far better than thier last few releases up to Youthanasia. If this album were stolen, I would find who stole it, rip his balls off and make him buy me a new copy. // 10

United Abominations Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 23, 2007

Sound: 01. Sleepwalker - well all the Megadeth fans probably already heard this, and it's a good song, melo at start, then get right into Dave's master thrash riffing, and obviously more then one solo. 02. Washington Is Next! - some Megadeth fans might have already heard this at Megadeths tour with Heaven and Hell, which I was lucky to have gone too. The intro has kinda a flickering guitar lick, then There's a nice solo and Like most Megadeth songs Dave changes the tempo a minute before the end of the song. 03. Never Walk Alone... A Call To Arms - this song opens with a nice guitar riff. Then nice solo, and straight after the solo a melo tone that's soothing, then bam guitar kicks the licks. 04. United Abominations - the albums title song. Starts off like Secret Place, then switches to Blackmail The Universe intro. Then a nice riff comes in. And a beautiful solo comes. more riff then ends like intro. 05. Gears Of War - now I know everyone should've heard this song already since it was on the web for along time. People were disappionted with this. but I like this song for the fact of the heavy riffs. Doesn't sound like a song for the video game. Could be wrong but it just sonds like a song about soldiers in a battle. And you guessed it a nice solo included to end the song. 06. Blessed Are The Dead - starts off with a Iron Maiden feel with the bass going then you here Dave's voice, and you already like the song. It pulls you in, Then gets somewhat boring. after awhile you get solo and lots of drums with it. Then ends. 07. Pray For Blood - one of my favourite songs on the album. Starts with speeding guitar. Then heavy riffs. And like Hangar 18 it includes lots of solo's. this song is a great Megadeth song. 08. A Tout Le Monde (Set Me Free) - this song was already made before but Dave figured he should do it again because of the Montreal Shooting, if I got my facts right. I do prefer the original, but Christina Scabbia does give it a nice touch to give it a more beautiful feeling, this is one of Megadeth's best songs hands done, but original is better. 09. Amerikhastan - my ing ears shouldn't be blaring my music when this song starts. loud screech on the intro be aware, cus it's s ign of a kick ass Megadeth Song. Solo before the minute mark. In all 3 nice solos. 10. Youre Dead - very classic Megadeth sound, really brings back Rust in Peace. Deffinatly One of the highlight songs. Love the classic feel. 11. Burnt Ice - the last song of the album, and what a song. Deffinatly the best song of the album. Starts agressive and speedy for short time. Then classic Megadeth sound, it's just an amazing song, with lots of solos. and the solos are amazing, I love the solos on this song. I love this song. // 10

Lyrics: Dave wrote this album about the UN and the wars going on. And the lyrics are amazing, as good as Peace Sells.. But Whos Buying. You know exacly what he's talking about. Mustaine Obviously has the voice for Thrash Metal. and he brings it on this album. Everything is great. // 10

Overall Impression: Compared to Other albums this is up there with the best. It might seem like I like this album a lot 'cause of hype. But at first I did not like this album, but I was briefing through it cause I wanted to listen to all of it as fast as I can. Then a Hour later I gave it another chance and I was amazed at what Dave has made. Most impressive songs are in my opnion. Burnt Ice, You're Dead, Pray For Blood, United Abominations, and SleepWalker. I love this album cause Dave Brought the agressive Classic Megadeth Feel back, Feels just like Rust In Peace, and Peace Sells. If it got stolen/lost I would buy it again and buy more copys for my friends. But for now I hope it doesnt't break or get stolen cause I would have to wait til it officailly comes out. This is a most pick up for Megadeth fans and people interested in Megadeth. Oh and compared to Metallica, Megadeth seems to be better, Dave has not lost his sound and this is one of the best metal albums this year so far, up there with Machine Heads The Blackening. Sorry for the bad review people, but I was excited about getting a early version of the album. // 10

United Abominations Reviewed by: barn burner5, on june 27, 2007

Sound: First of all the quality of this album is amazing, now if you've bought the album and are just reading this to see what other people think, the quality of the album is some of the best I have ever heard. Now, if your thinking of buying the album. Buy it! This has to be one of the best CDs I have ever heard, the thing is a riff/solo loaded monster, Dave and Glen serve up a healthy dish of a guitar butt kicking that you wouldn't know they have both been around for such a long time. // 10

Lyrics: Mustaine has never been a great lyricist, but he has always been able to drive the point home. The lyrics on this album range from outright awesome to just okay, but overall the lyrics are good. He'll have fans chanting with him on "Gears Of War", "United Abominations", and shouting "Jihad Joe we're coming to get ya!" on "Amerikhastan". And I started thanking God that he lost all the whinnyness that was in he's voice. Dave sound better then he ever did. // 9

Overall Impression: Welcome back Dave, Good to have you home. Was the first thing I thought when I popped this album into my car. If you think he can't play like he used to back in the 80's, You're Dead Wrong. Dave is playing better then he ever did, and with the addition of the Drover brothers and James Lomenzo on bass, this is probably the best album ever put out under the Megadeth name. So, Final thoughts, if you have doubts about this album, buy it anyway, it will dispel any doubt you have about Megadeth not being up to par. It's ironic back in the '80s Metallica ruled the metal world, then on into the '90s they did as well. Now Megadeths wiping the floor with Metallica, it's just kinda ironic to me. // 10

United Abominations Reviewed by: PolishHedbanger, on august 10, 2007

Sound: The latest Megadeth album to date, "United Abominations" is the record that shows that Dave Mustaine and Co. still have the balls to release an awesome heavy metal record. Dave Mustaine brings out a new line up with Glen Drover of King Diamond fame on guitar, his brother Shawn Drover on drums, and picking away on the bass is former White Lion and Black Label Society member James LoMenzo. The new line-up has created a dark, evil sounding record that is sure to give you goosebumps, for example "You're Dead". Mustaine comes back with his usual palm muting technique as heard in the tracks "Sleepwalker" and the title track "United Abominations," and it shows you that it's a Megadeth record. The best riffs can be found in the songs "Washington Is Next!" of which the intro is full of pull offs and sends shivers down my spine. "Gears Of War" is the best example to show the thrashiness of the record, sounds like your back in the 80's! Solo's are deliverd by both guitarists all over the record. "Burnt Ice" and "Amerikhastan" both show the best solo's of the album as they use various techniques, and the solos make up much of these songs, they are sure to knock your socks off. James LoMenzo shows what he's made of in the track "Washington Is Next!" as he plays a bass line unique to the guitar parts which shows a really shot of creativity. Finally, certantly not the least, Shawn Drover lives up to the Megadeth name and uses different techniques around the album. My personal favorite where he pounds away is "Never Walk Alone... A Call To Arms," it is obvious that this dude has it all and deserves to be in this group. I would like to finally point out that the track from "Youthanasia" "A Tout Le Monde" (now "A Tout Le Monde [Set Me Free]) has been re-created in this record, and includes a fifty percent extended solo where Glen's new solo flows into the original Marty Friedman solo. // 10

Lyrics: Dave Mustaine comes back with his contreversial political lyrics and shows his anger to the United Nations as heard in the title track "United Abominations." The track "Amerikhastan" compares the United States to the Middle East in a very creative way. "Washington Is Next!" is a song about all the world powers falling to failure and what not. Mustaine also shows his anger towards others in the song "Sleepwalker" which talks about Dave killing people in his sleep and waking up back to the normal world. "Burnt Ice" is a song about the dangers of Meth Drugs such as ice. "Blessed Are The Dead" is a "AC/DC" like song about the four horsemen of the apocalypse. Finally, Mustaine comes forth with a new topic, video games, which is described in the tracks "Gears Of War" and "Play For Blood." // 10

Overall Impression: This album is probably my favorite of 2007, it is a must, and if it got stolen, I would rush to the store and get a second copy immedeatly. Megadeth has surely released a record for the decade. It features Christina Scabbia from Lacuna Coil and does a duet with Mustaine in the remake of the classic "Youthanasia" track, "A Tout Le Monde {Set Me Free)." If you don't have this album yet, you should immedeatly go and get it, I guarantee you'll love it. // 10

United Abominations Reviewed by: Page/Rhoads, on december 19, 2007

Sound: Thank the lord for Megadeth! This albums is just as good as their old stuff, maybe better! It's fast, heavy, powerful, and straight up metal. The Drover brothers provide more speed and intensity then previous Megadeth line-ups. The album is speed metal at its finest. If you want something fast and heavy all in one, buy this. // 9

Lyrics: Dave sounds as good as ever. His new vocals on A Toute Le Monde are much better than the original. But his voice does sound a bit gravely throughout the album, but it works with the music. The lyrics are all about governments and authority and politics. Dave speaks to the world, and ticks it off. The aggression is great and will keep you listening. // 9

Overall Impression: This is a great Megadeth album that shows they have not lost a step. It's fast and intense, just what a great metal album should be. The best songs are Washington Is Next, Play For Blood, Gears Of War, and the new A Toute Le Monde with Cristina Scabbia. The other songs are great as well. This album will make you realize everything that is wrong with the world. Dave gets his message across loud and clear. But even better than the lyrics is the fact that some songs have up to ten guitar solos. And they all rock. If this album were stolen, this guy would be mad at the world after listening, and I would be mad at him. If you're a Megadeth fan, buy this album. // 9

United Abominations Reviewed by: musiccrave1028, on december 20, 2007

Sound: The music was great! The solo's were insane and the singing had an erie feel to it, especialy on the song "Gears Of War". You could hear every instrument great and it seems they were more focused on the musicianship in this album. By the sound, it shows that Megadeth hasn't died. The only thing is, on the song "Sleepwalker" they try doing a Slayer thing before the guitar solo and it dosen't really fit in the song. Because of that part it makes me wonder a little bit if Megadeth is trying to make a good album, or get popular by doing the things other artists have done. I think it was they were trying to make a good album, but I also think Dave wants to be very popular too. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics give a great desription of what Dave is trying to say. They talk mostly about polotics, but sometimes veer off in a different direction. They over use the word "die" in the song "Gears of War" and they seem half (insert word you would like here) in the songs "Sleepwalker" and "Play For Blood". All the other songs have great lyrics though. // 8

Overall Impression: This album is a great album, but dosen't compare to their other great albums like "Rust In Peace" or "Countdown To Extinction". I will hand it to them for not selling out like Metallica did on their new album, "St. Anger" and making great solo's, riffs, and other things like that. The most impressive songs were "Washington Is Next!", "Never Walk Alone... A Call To Arms", "Gears Of War", and "Burnt Ice". If this album was stolen, I definatly would buy it again. Overall if you like heavy metal, speed metal, or thrash metal, you'll like this album and I would suggest it to you. // 9

United Abominations Reviewed by: bloodlusting28, on january 05, 2008

Sound: When I first heard this band in 03 my mind was blown. Their sound all around is amazing, one of the best With Mustaine singing and on guitar it made me feel like I didn't know metal at all. So when I heard that they were coming out with a new album in 06, I was freaking out. And when I heard it I was sure I flashed back to that day when I heard them for the first time, with amazing lyrics, amazing guitars, amazing bass, amazing drums, amazing solos, amazing everything. I'm comvinced that this band pisses excellence. // 10

Lyrics: What more is there to say besides Dave Mustaine? He's a lyrical god. With songs in the past like 99 Ways To Die, Holy Wars... The Punishment Due, Peace Sells, and others; I was blown away when hearing the lyrics. His vocals are just amazing and agressive. His lyrics seem to revolve around political reasons though. // 10

Overall Impression: Well lets just say all their albums were better than Risk, and in my opinion were far better than almost all of Metallica's albums. The most impressive songs from this album are Blessed Are The Dead, Washington Is Next, Sleepwalker, and Gears Of War. I love the hole album it's amazing far better than The World Needs A Hero and the System Has Failed. If I lost it or someone stole it I would deffinatly buy another copy, hell, I'd buy a few spairs. // 10

United Abominations Reviewed by: Busproof, on december 15, 2008

Sound: United Abominations, Megadeth's latest album, and first with the Drover brothers lineup, attempts to dive deeper into the bands thrash metal roots by becoming increasingly political, and focusing on heavy riff work. The solos on this album in particular also seem to use more tremelo and wah elements than prior albums - an element that could potentially make or break the album for long time fans of megashreddage. It definately bares a Megadeth sound and tone to it, albeit with a few new added elements. // 8

Lyrics: Lyrically, this is obviously Megadeth. The songs on this album are increasingly political, with more songs focusing on political subject than on the prior album, The System has Failed. The listener also gets a heavy dose of Mustaine's trade-mark cynicalism in many of the songs, especially Washington Is Next, which manages to paint quiet a image on the instrumental canvas. Vocally, it's obviously Mustaine, which can be a good thing or a bad thing depending on the listener's tastes. He lacks the pure aggression of the bands early releases, but he surely isn't failing vocally. Once again, whether you like the vocal work is based on your personal preferences. // 8

Overall Impression: Overall, this album doesn't seem to hit quite as strongly as The System Has Failed did for me. it's still a good album, and it's heavy as hell, but instrumentally, the riffs seem tired and forced, and I'm not a big fan of the tremelo and wah used in the majority of the lead solos. I like most of the stuff lyrically, but it's the instrumental parts I have trouble with. It just seems 'hollow' and forced at times. Also, the new version of A Tout Le Monde isn't too impressive, and feels like a half-assed attempt to fill the track listing. Still, it's not a bad album, but it's definately not a great album either. It's not the album I'd suggest to new fans, but it's not a bad listen either. Worth the buy, but not the amazing work I've come to expect from the band. // 7

United Abominations Reviewed by: Krymson420, on july 24, 2009

Sound: The bands sound has gotten back to the level of thrash from the Rust In Peace era which can be heard in tracks like Washington is Next and Sleepwalker the song United Abominations (which is the title track) has had some controversy a member of the United (abomi)Nations had supposedly reviewed every word in the song denoucing every statement about the UN and has protested against the release of the album..but seeing how you reading this I think we both know how that turned out Not only is this album a great thrash CD but the re-re-re(you know where I'm going with this)record of A Tout Le Monde is done very well and is a great listen. // 9

Lyrics: Dave Mustaine has always been a great lyricist being able to write lyrics that have relevance to the world he has also been able along with the rest of ]\/[EGADET]-[ to create drumm patterns Guitar/bass riffs that flow with the music and to top that off Dave's voice has only gotten better over time the lyrics on the CD are outstanding and sung by a true master of the craft. // 10

Overall Impression: There is a classic feud between Metallica and Megadeth fans some say Metallica has gotten crappy iver the years some say Megadeth is just a rip off but no fan on anyside can say this album isnt amazing the songs Sleepwalker Washington is Next A Tout Le Monde leave an everlasting impression on the listener the only bad thing I have to say about this album is that a few tracks aKa Gears of War United Abominations are not immediate favorites but still even if you listen to those tracks a few times they start to become four or five star songs if this CD was ever stolen from me I'd buy it again but not before I chase down the guy who stole it If I ever lost it I'd hate myself forever but would go out and buy it again. // 9

More Megadeth reviews rating latest review
+ Killing Is My Business... And Business Is Good! 8.7 06/06/2013