Stoner Witch Review

melvins: Stoner Witch
Release Date: Oct 1994
Label: Atlantic
Genres: Alternative Metal, Alternative Pop/Rock, Heavy Metal, Grunge
Stoner Witch resolves into an ear-catching workup of classic rock themes, tempered, of course, with a fairly judicious sampling of acid-trip detours.
 8.8
 7.7
 9.9
review (1) 3 comments vote for this album:
Stoner Witch Reviewed by: GrungeBeatle, on january 22, 2007

Sound: I've always found the Melvins a hard band to describe in terms of genre, at first they were considered punk, but they definately show that they're influenced by the earlier metal bands such as Sabbath. Often considered an acquired taste, the Melvins are very straight-forward in their approach to music. The opening song Skweetis starts out with Dale Crover's quirky, but very impressive drumming style and the guitar seems to hesitate before it hits you all at once. The Melvins posess a very low, almost growling sound to thier music. But the best thing about this and every Melvins album is Dale Crover's drumming. Hands down one of the most impressive contemporary drummer I've ever heard, whether playing the standard backing beat to a guitar riff on songs such as Sweet Willy Rollbar, or the almost unpredictable, yet relevant beat to Roadbull. // 8

Lyrics: I've never been a fan of the Melvins lyrics. I've never taken time to look into the meaning because they're either to cryptic or too nonsensical. I do however like the powerful sound of Buzz Osbourne's voice and how it matches the music so well. He sets the mood of the songs with his tone, not his poetry. If you do like the lyrics though, the best songs for it are At the Stake and Goose Freight Train. // 6

Overall Impression: Despite the fact that they're only really known for inspiring Kurt Cobain, the Melvins were so much more than just an inspiration for a Pixie's cover band. For thier time, and even now, they were innovative in thier approach to music mixing punk, metal, and experimental rock into something that is actually listenable. But once again I can't say how much I appreciate Dale Crover for his drumming talent. To really get a feel for the Melvins in general and thier working chemistry as musicians, listen to June Bug which is basically an instrumental showing the soft/loud formula they would often employ or Revolve which is one of thier better known and more mainstream sounding numbers. Definately worth replaceing if lost or stolen. // 9

More Melvins reviews rating latest review
+ Hold It In 7.6 10/28/2014