The Bride Screamed Murder Review

8.9
 8.7
review (1) 3 comments vote for this album:
The Bride Screamed Murder Reviewed by: Biafra'N'Buzzo, on december 05, 2011

Sound: "The Bride Screamed Murder", musically, could sum up the past 15 years of the Melvins, very creative and very heavy. The 2 drummers (Dale Crover and, the 2006 addition to the band, Coady Willis) shine on this album and fit together perfectly at both live performances and on this record. Typically awesome riffs from Buzzo are everywhere throughout this album, and include, without a doubt, some of his best pieces of guitar work! ("The Water Glass" is a good example of how dynamic they are musically). // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics are also very typical of the Melvins, they could be read out as respectable nonsense poems, but if you're looking for deep meaning, a salvation from depression or a huge political statement then I suggest you look to a different band. The lyrics work well with the music though, they fit in very well, they paint very surreal pictures in the mind and the way they are sang makes it even weirder, with cascading, layered vocals from all members of the band (See "Evil New War God"). // 8

Overall Impression: It's difficult to compare this to other artists, I suppose the style could be compared to Nomeansno's album, "WRONG", but I feel the Melvins' delivery of this experimental style is much tighter. The major let down on this album is their cover of "My Generation"... In my opinion, it sucks. If this album were stolen I would definitely buy it again, definitely among their top 5 albums for me. // 9

More Melvins reviews rating latest review
+ Hold It In 7.6 10/28/2014