Between The Lies [EP] Review

8.7
 4.7
review (1) 2 comments vote for this album:
Between The Lies [EP] Reviewed by: GarrettR, on february 17, 2014

Sound: Memphis May Fire's second EP, "Between The Lies," was released in 2010. Only a year after their first release, this album is incredible. While their first album, "Sleepwalking," was already a fantastic album, this album sounds even better. While keeping their signature sound, the band seemed to tighten up a bit, producing a more sophisticated, mature sound. Matty Mullins blends a great, even mix of singing and screams. His singing voice sounds better in this album than on his first. The rhythm and lead guitar go together beautifully in this album. Harmony is more prevalent than before and is executed very well. There is more diversity in their sound as well, ranging from some pretty brutal breakdowns, to clean, beautiful sounds, such as in the song "Vaulted Ceilings." The only thing that seems to take away from their sound is sometimes their transitions from one part to another get a little confusing or cluttered. Other than that though, the sound they managed to produce is phenomenal. // 8

Lyrics: I have got to hand it to these guys, these lyrics are gold. Every song has incredible lyrics that make each song that much better and memorable. Many words come to mind when trying to describe these lyrics, such as profound, intriguing, beautiful, and eye-opening. I will use "Vaulted Ceilings" again as an example. Matty Mullins says "You don't have to know me to know that you're lost. Just know that I don't mind. And you don't have to see me to know that I'm right by your side." Every song has lyrics that appeals to our emotions and sends a message. While many bands today just yell typical, cliche metal nonsense, it's good to hear lyrics with a message, that mean something. // 10

Overall Impression: This album is truly a diamond in the rough. Not only is this album better than its predecessor, it's better than most albums put out by other artists as well. Every song is incredible, especially songs such as "Action/Adventure," "Deuces Las Cruces," and "Vaulted Ceilings." It amazes me how each song blends together profound lyrics and an incredible sound. Memphis May Fire blends the best of both worlds and create an album of songs that will definitely have you banging your head. There are only two issues that deprive this album of a perfect rating. Unfortunately, there are only five songs in the album. Also, as previously stated, sometimes the transitions between parts of a song get a little confusing or over-complicated. But these two issues don't detract very much from the overall sound and impression of this album. Overall, it is an amazing album that is definitely worth checking out. // 8

More Memphis May Fire reviews rating latest review