Mest Review

mest: Mest
Release Date: Jun 2003
Label: Maverick
Genres: Punk-Pop, Punk Revival, Third Wave Ska Revival
Mest might offer a few stage-diving moments for the kids, but it will only keep until the next big thing hits.
 6.2
 6.4
review (1) 3 comments vote for this album:
Mest Reviewed by: unregistered, on december 23, 2005

Sound: I'm not too sure how to classify this album, some songs like 'Lost, Broken, Confused' are more punk than anything else but then theres songs like 'Return To Self loathing', which sound suspicously like pop. Ok songs all in all, but unfortunately mest have fallen into the power chord trap with this album, most songs making use of the seriously overplayed 'set-piece' notes, the kind that the mainstream music industry thrive on. Could have done with a few solos and some deviation from the same notes, but good all the same. // 5

Lyrics: Cool lyrics, undoubtably the best lyrics coming from 'Jaded', which is one of those songs that can be played over and over without ever getting old. Some songs not so good lyricaly, like 'Burning Bridges' which really gets on my nerves. The lyrics work well with the music, but I suspect this is only becuase most of the songs have similar structure and speed. // 7

Overall Impression: After listening to this album all the way through, I have to say that its actuly quite poor. Sure theres some great songs like 'Jaded' and 'Lost, Broken, Confused', but the whole album seems to use the same notes in different arrangements. Theres little skill needed to play most of this album on guitar and bass, not sure about drums because I'm not a drummer but the beats dont seem too taxing. The whole album is tainted with the sickly scent of post-recording effects and alterations. If I lost this album I would think long and hard about buying it again, if I had some spare cash then I would but if it was a choice between this album and something else I think Mest would probably loose. // 6

More Mest reviews rating latest review
+ Photographs 6.9 11/21/2005