...And Justice For All Review

metallica: ...And Justice For All
Released: 1988
Genre: Rock
Styles: Thrash, Heavy Metal, Speed Metal
Most complex & ambitious work of Metallica ever.
 Lyrics: 9.8
 9.3
 9.6
...And Justice For All Reviewed by: METSOAD, on june 20, 2006

Sound: First off I must start with a negative while talking about the "sort-of-breakthrough-but-not-quite-there-yet" album for kings of thrash Metallica. It is the most diabolically produced album in the history of the band. There are many things wrong with the sound, here are just a few: the bass (played by Metallica debutant Jason Newstead) is non-existent, the drums are too loud and some of the guitar solos sound truly ridiculous. But all of that combined makes for Metallica's most extreme and technically challenging album to date. James Hetfield's rhythm playing on this record is legendary in the circle of guitar players. His ability to simply riff your face off is completly unparalleled. Kirk Hammet's solos may sound like one of those stick things that gurgles as you move it but once you hear what Kirk is doing you are amazed, inspired and deeply depressed by the fact that you are not that good. Lars Ulrich's drummiing is a unique style of fills at every oppotunity and keeping a strong rhythm going at the same time. // 10

Lyrics: This is by far the most politically based album by a band that dosen't normally write about politics. The title track, for example talks about the evils on money and greedy politicians, a subject never before studied by the band. Dyer's Eve is about James Hetfiled's parents who were not very nice to James during his childhood and made it severly uncomfortable for him. These two songs are the best lyrically. Vocally James Hetfeild had hit his peak in pure aggression when the album was recorded. If he was angry at something while recording the vocals of this album it shows greatly on each and every song (bar To Live Is To Die which is an instrumental) on the album. The best songs vocally are One and Harvester Of Sorrow. One is just umparalled in vocal and lyrical genius. // 10

Overall Impression: Blackened is the fast ferocious opening to the album with the mis-leading intro. The Intro was actually recorded and then played backwards. This song is also the first song written by Jason Newstead. The Chorus is great while the guitar solo has one of those odd sounding parts but is genius and perhaps the second best on the album. The Title Track is simply epic. It is Metallica's longest song and it is an endless sea of riffage, agression and greatness in all departments, particularly James Hetfeild. Eye Of The Beholder has a great verse riff and some mighty guitar soloing but the highlights are the dictatorship bashing lyrics. One is greatness personifyed, with the beautiful arpegieos in the beginning and the enormous riffs at the end with the many, not one but many, fabulous guitar solos as well as brilliant lyrics and singing. Shortest Straw is one of the most agressive songs ever written, it is constantly kicking you in the face and destroying your ear drums. Harvester Of Sorrow is simply evil in every way: The riffs, the solos, the lyrics and the vocals. Lars should also be commended on a brilliant job with that fabulous opening drum pattern. The Frayed End of sanity has the "Oweeeeo" intro part and a fabulous tapping part in guitar solo as well as lyrics on madness which Metallica always seem to excell in. To Live Is To Die is the last Metallica instrumental and it shows due to some of the technical excellency on display. Cliff Burton wrote the lyrics and it is heartbreaking to hear them spoken by the great man himself. RIP Cliff Burton. Dyer's Eve is perhaps the most depressing, agressive and angry song I have ever heard. The solos are greatness and the lyrics are just as I descirbed earlier. The riffs sound like they came from a "Master of Puppets" session. Overall, the brutality of this record is absolutly remarkable and that is why it is so brilliant and highly thought of. The fact that it is not produced properly dosen't matter when you actually hear what the band are playing. It is simply great and James, Lars, Kirk and Jason must consider this their master peice and must deserve recongnition for this. The single downfall of this record is the lack of the bass, which would have made the album almost parallel to "Master Of Puppets". A must own for all Metalheads. // 10

...And Justice For All Reviewed by: Metallifan2k5, on august 22, 2005

Sound: In my opinion this album is thier best work. Kirk and James were both on top of thier game, and although Cliff is no longer with us, Jason Newsted fills in quite nicely, and this album has some of Lars' best drumming (man can he kick it). Thier overall sound is excellent with each and every song kicking as much ass as the next. // 10

Lyrics: Some great lyrics on this one, dealing with the usual Metallica stuff (death, war, mass destruction, greed). As I usually like to do here's a breakdown of each song on this wonderful album: 01. Blackened - deals with the end of the world. awesome f--kin intro to this song and one of my favs overall 5/5. 02 ...And Justice For All - deals with money and the greed that ensues when people have it. Really long and some good solo work by Kirk. Good song 4.5/5. 03. Eye Of The Beholder - deals mostly with freedom (or lack of) that a lot of places live with. Good lyrics, great song 4.5/5. 04. One - oh where do I begin, this masterpiece is about a man whos lost everything due to a landmine, and only has his thoughts as company. This is my all-time favourite next to Fade To Black on Ride and Master Of Puppets. Has in my opinion one of Kirk's best solos (man I couldnt play it if I tried) and Lars' best double bass drumming 10/5. 05. The Shortest Straw - not sure what its really about but has another one of Kirks better solos and an awesome song to rock out to 5/5. 06. Harvester Of Sorrow - another one I'm not sure of. I never really got into this one but it has some decent guitar work 4/5. 07. Frayed Ends Of Sanity - c'mon, you know what this ones about (going crazy). Cool lyrics and a pretty cool solo. Solid song overall 4.5/5. 08. To Live Is To Die - semi-instrumental, with a small passage near the end which I think was written by Cliff. Cool guitar work by both James and Kirk and one of my favs on this album 5/5. 09. Dyers Eve - man he had some mean f--kin' parents I'll tell ya. Absolute thrash out speed metal here folks, and I loves it. Great solo and some right down an dirty lyrics, great song to head-bang to 5/5. // 10

Overall Impression: As I said before, this is my fav album by the kings of thrash metal. In my opinion it's thier best work and its the first album with Jason Newstead playing bass (I don't count the 5.95 Garage Days Revisited an album in iteself since it was re-released on Garage Inc.) Again, great work Metallica, it's why your still around today! // 10

...And Justice For All Reviewed by: petrucci_owns86, on december 25, 2007

Sound: This is Metallica's final album of the '80s, and was a great way to leave that decade. It sounds different than its predecessor, Master of Puppets, because it combines Metallica's trademarked thrash sound with an almost progressive edge. All but two songs are over six minutes in length, and every song contains at least one epic guitar solo. The guitars also sound slightly different from Master of Puppets. The only thing that bugs me about this album is that there is almost a complete lack of bass guitar. You really have to listen hard to find it. One possible reason for this could be that the other band members turned new bass player Jason Newsted's amps down just to piss him off. That's really the only dissapointment of the album. This was the first Metallica album I bought, so it holds a special place in my heart as my favorite album by them. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are very intriguing, and address political and social issues more prominently than their previous albums. James Hetfield's voice is still harsh, but it's understandable. 01. Blackened - great song to kick off an incredible album. The intro is awesome. The day that I heard this song, my life changed. I had already heard some Metallica before I bought this album, but this song caught my ear more than anything I had heard before. Jaw dropping solo, always makes me stop everything I'm doing and just listen. 02 ...And Justice For All - cool clean intro to this song. This track is very long, coming in at 9:44. The guitar work blows me away every time I hear this song. 03. Eye Of The Beholder - unique song, about six and a half minutes long. It's got an awesome solo, courtesy of Kirk Hammett. 04. One - this is one of the band's best songs of all time. It's a ballad about a soldier who suffered awful injuries from a land mine. He survived, but lost both legs, both arms, and most of his face (eyes, ears, nose). This song has several guitar solos, and the final solo by Kirk Hammett is a total guitar-god face-melter. 05. The Shortest Straw - this song is really heavy, and the solo is incredible. Not much else to say, other than that it's a great song. 06. Harvester Of Sorrow - this song starts out sort of ominous, and then hits you with a kickass riff at around 0:45. Great track. 07. The Frayed Ends Of Sanity - what an amazing song! The guitar solo is awesome, and there are some very cool riffs throughout this track. One of the best on the album. 08. To Live Is To Die - incredible song, the longest on the album. This is also Metallica's longest song, tied with "The Outlaw Torn". It's mostly instrumental, with a short spoken section by James Hetfield towards the end. Their recently deceased bassist Cliff Burton wrote the spoken section, and also helped write the music. Hetfield plays the second guitar solo in the slower middle section of the song. Ends right as "Dyer's Eve" begins. 09. Dyer's Eve - Metallica's fastest song to date, with a completely nuts guitar solo. This song is pure thrash metal. It sounds like it's talking about James Hetfield's parents. One of my favorites off of the album, and is an awesome way to end this album. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall, this album is fabulous. All of the songs are very impressive to me, but the real standouts are "Blackened", "One", "The Frayed Ends of Sanity", "To Live is to Die", "Dyer's Eve", and the title track. If I could give this album more than a rating of 10, I would (as with Metallica's other albums from the 80's, for that matter). The only thing about this album that makes me mad is that there is virtually no bass. I actually lost the disk for this album, so I needed to buy the extended version from iTunes, and then I burned that to a disk. The extended version is also very cool, because it includes the live versions of "One" and "...And Justice For All". If you're a metal fan, and you don't already own this album, buy it! // 10

...And Justice For All Reviewed by: MetallicaSG, on september 25, 2003

Sound: This album is one of Metallica's most unique albums ever recorded. The first real studio album recorded with Jason Newsted on bass, "...And Justice for All" was a departure from Metallica's destructive metal roots and a progression to a grittier, deeper, and more rebellious tone that we haven't seen since. The album is full of speed, palm muting, and screeching solos. The songs are long (the title track, "...And Justice for All," has a 2 1/2 minute intro!) but very good, and the album comes together very well. James' heavy muted riffs, Kirk's thrashing solos, Jason's rumbling basslines, and Lars' pounding double bass drums make for a dark and brooding record that any Metal fan will fall in love with. It should be said that anyone who listens to the album should listen hard to the drums: Lars' footwork with the bass pedals is phenomenal. However, many times the songs begin to run into one another and you get slightly bored listening to the album. This happens from about song 5 ("Harvester of Sorrow") to the moving "To Live is to Die," and taints an otherwise impeccable album. // 8

Lyrics: "...And Justice for All" shows a different side of Metallica and James Hetfield lyrically, with less stress on monsters and destruction and more focus on political rock. Tracks like "Eye of the Beholder" and "...And Justice for All" express views on the government and modern politics...or the politics that were modern at the time of the recording, anyway. It also features a track that is almost completely instrumental, with the exception of a few words written by Cliff Burton, their recently deceased bassist. The lyrics in every song comply well with the music, fitting its tone and ferocity. As always, James Hetfield did a beautiful job singing. // 10

Overall Impression: "...And Justice for All", when compared with other Metallica albums, is hard to rate because it is unlike any other album they've recorded. It is most similar to St. Anger or Kill 'em All, but tops both of them in a very unique way. Though I prefer other Metallica albums like "Master of Puppets" and "Ride the Lightning", "...And Justice for All" definitely ranks as one of their best. It gave rise to one of Metallica's greatest classics: "One," a deep and painful war song that expresses the utter despair of soldiers who have been wounded in war. I love the albums dark mood and innovative lyrics, but I don't like every song on the album. They're all pretty good, but it doesn't have the same feel as some of their others, like the black album. If it were stolen or lost, I'd definitely buy another, and I recommend it to anyone and everyone who enjoys hard music. // 10

...And Justice For All Reviewed by: janecoffin27, on november 03, 2003

Sound: If you like Metallica, you're likely to be sucked in from the reverse intro of "Blackened" to the abrupt end of "Dyer's Eve." Of course, we're talking about [early] Metallica, so the drumming and guitars are top-notch. But there's no bass anywhere, which pisses me off because I'm a bassist. Bass is extremely important but I've got no fuckin' clue why just 'cause Cliff died they feel like turning Jason's amps down. And we know they've been assholes-that's why Jason left. I dunno, the sound quality is all right, and the music's pretty good, but they lose points for lack of bass. Some people complain that the songs are too long, with some bordering on ten minutes. I've never really had a problem with long songs. "To Live Is to Die" is a good song, but repetitive and they could have taken a minute or two off of it. But I really don't mind. // 6

Lyrics: This one seems a lot more..."mature" than the other ones. The three previous albums talked about death and monsters and shit like that, whereas this one had a little more to do with the issues of the day. And they aren't bullshit either, so it's all good. Singing's pretty good. // 10

Overall Impression: This one doesn't top Master, but it's a pretty nice attempt. Pretty complex, which is good with me, but it turns some people away. Psh, go buy this. Or just get a friend's copy and burn it. That's what I did - if someone took it, I'd just borrow it again and burn it. If you want to try some of the songs out, go download "Blackened" and "One" and "Dyer's Eve". Good. But there's no excuse for the lack of bass. Bassists might get pissed. // 8

...And Justice For All Reviewed by: Nuums, on april 28, 2006

Sound: The sound on this stunning album is a little different from the earlier albums (Kill 'Em All, Ride, Master). This release is the first one, after the death of bass-player Cliff Burton (died in bus-accident, in Sweden, '86). At the point of the release, there have gone nearly three years since the last one (Master Of Puppets, '86). In the start they just kicked albums out, one after one. Maybe they had to have this long break. Unfortunately you almost can't hear the bass, which I think is one of the only minuses on this record. The guitar-solo's have never been better! They all kick major ass! You can really hear that their skills have improved! They have a lot of acoustic and distortion guitar mixed, which is great. One of the characteristics of Metallica. And not to mention the many tempo-changes! Great. Lars Ulrich just keep on rocking! // 10

Lyrics: Very nice lyrics, they have also had the time to do them. I listen to this album all the time, and I almost know the lyrics of four different songs in my head! They are just great! (I just wanted there to be some more lyrics and singing in "To live is to Die"). // 10

Overall Impression: This is the best album from Metallica. None of the songs really bores you, and that's just great! I may admit, that I don't like their new styles on Load, ReLoad an St. Anger (besides induvidial songs). But I look forward to their upcoming release, I have heard it should be more old-school! // 10

...And Justice For All Reviewed by: DyersEve, on july 24, 2006

Sound: Many people complain about the sound of this album, mostly that the bass is inaudible, but really I think it still sounds great. It is very heavy and has a bit of a different sound than the previous albums. With more melody in the songs it all sounds great. I believe it was Lars that stated in a somewhat recent interview, that it was the first album with Jason and they where hazing him to hell, and one of the big things is they made the bass almost silent for the album, he said in retrospect he wouldn't of done that; and Jason says he hates the album because he can't hear the bass, but I guess thats expected. // 10

Lyrics: The often spoken - "The peak of James Hetfield's vocals", and I would have to agree, he sounds great on every song. The vocals are a little more global than personal like on Ride The Lightning and Master of Puppets, i.e. ...And Justice For All, but they are still great. // 10

Overall Impression: I would have to rate this album just a notch underneath Master Of Puppets, it definately did not let me down as a follow up to Puppets. Some of the best songs on the album are its opener Blackened, it is a perfect opener for the album with the reverse faded-in riff to start and then explodes into one of their best riffs ever, just all around great. The title track is one of the favorites by current Metallica fans to be played live once again, and I would have to agree, Lars's main riff drum beat would have to be the most popular part of the song. One, Metallica's first song to make a video to, and is a must for all their live shows and a crowd favorite, with one of the most famous drum beats ever, and still one of the heaviest songs. The Frayed Ends Of Sanity, often regarded as one of the most underrated Metallica songs and I would have to agree, it is great, especially the riff before the solo, and the solo has been a fan favorite off the album. To Live Is To Die, Another amazing Instrumental by Metallica, if you look up info on this song, it actually tells a story of Metallica starting, and the death of cliff, and them deciding to continue on, just a great song. Dyers Eve, what a great way to end an album with probably Metallica's fastest song ever, no doubt the fastest drumming song, the song bursts in and never lets up for a second, amazing riff making from the great Hetfield, and one of the most difficult solos from Kirk Hammett, and a great go! to end the album. This is a must-have album for metal/rock/whatever Fans everywhere. // 10

...And Justice For All Reviewed by: SethMegadefan, on december 20, 2004

Sound: Many Metallica fans put down "...And Justice for All" because it is like the "middle album". It was after their extremely famous and critically acclaimed "Master Of Puppets" and before their unbelievably mainstream self-titled album, known by many as "The Black Album". I'm not quite sure what happened here, but the sound quality is a little grungy. Nothing bad, it's just different from most Metallica albums and metal albums for that matter. The guitar work is extremely heavy and fast, and Lars really smashes those drums out on this album. It's probably the only album ever that can serve up heavy metal, thrash, speed metal, and acoustic work all in one and make it work as beautifully as it did in "...And Justice for All". It's simply amazing. There is one complaint I do have and it's about Jason Newsted. I know he plays bass on the album, but you can't really ever hear it. I guess if you crank up the bass you could feel it a bit, but it's so quiet I wasn't quite sure if there was even bass being played on the album. It is still a great album, and aside from the grungy, weird production job, it's destined to be a classic. // 8

Lyrics: I've always known Metallica to write great lyrics, but this is the album where that talent really shines. Anywhere from pollution to injustice to just plain mean parents, Metallica can take the simplest of subjects and warp them into brilliant metal masterpieces. This is also the album where James's voice is deeper than the earlier three ablums. It's no longer that high thrash and speed metal voice, it's a much more "Metallica-ized" heavy metal type of voice. And James's voice with those razor-sharp lyrics and brilliant works of guitar and drums, the songs come out at you and attack you. It's great. I think that the album has some of the most brilliant lyrics ever written. The lyrics are no longer needlessly obvious, like "Flash before my eyes, now it's time to die" ("Ride The Lightning", 1984); the lyrics are much more vague and they make you really think. They're dark and mysterious, and that's what metal is about, my friends. Check these brilliant lyrics out from "The Shortest Straw" (3rd verse). The way the lyrics are written is just one way out of many that make a great album, and the lyrics on this album deserve a 5. In fact, a 5 would be an understatement, but that's as high as this rating system goes. // 10

Overall Impression: Whenever I think of Metallica and their albums, this album will always stand out to me. In my mind, it's possibly the greatest album ever made by any artist ever. The combination of guitar work, drums, lyrics, and just the ideas of the songs, makes the album a certain classic. Some of the songs on this album are of considerable length; 2 songs are nearly 10 minutes long. This is not a bad thing and I think that Metallica's earlier songs were too short and could have had some nice interlude or bridge that would have given the song some more life. "...And Justice for All" delivers that perfectly, and it's got everything most metal bands will do in 20 years all in one album. Fantastic. I would strongly recommend this album to nearly anyone, Metallica fan or not, who recognizes good music when they hear it. Simply put, this album is music as an art at its very finest. // 10

...And Justice For All Reviewed by: batmann2887, on march 23, 2006

Sound: The sound on this album is phenominal. Although I have one criticism. The bass is nearly impossible to hear. In fact to the untrained ear its non-existent. The vocals are top notch. The rhythm guitar produces nearly enough bass to make up for any bass absence. The lead guitar is unbelievable as usual, and the drums are the best on any Metallica album. I rate the overall sound at an 8 only due to the near absence of low end. // 8

Lyrics: This album is very political yet there is some individiality sprinkled in. 01. Blackened - this song is the 1988 thrash metal number one. It's heavy metal meets speed thrash. Lots of palm mutes and a guitar solo that somehow screams "Metallica!" 02 ...And Justice For All - clean intro that breaks into a breakdown awkwarkly placed in the begining of the song somehow sounding great. This song is about the corruption of men due to money. 03. Eye Of The Beholder - although this song never really got popular it really IS a masterpeice. More palm mutes than any metal fan could ask for. I do actually find myself changing the song around the 6 minute mark though. 04. One. 05. The Shortest Straw - this song is also great. An abrupt intro and heavy palm mutes all through the song. Great lyrics. 06. Harvester Of Sorrow - one of my personal favs. A few less power chords and a few more single notes is this one. Makes for great flow. 07. Frayed Ends Of Sanity - this song is about going crazy. The beggining of the song is patterned after the Wizard Of Oz. Very creative song. 08. To Live Is To Die - this song is almost all instrumental with wall shaking guitar riffs, insane guitar solos, and relaxing melodic guitar duos. Toward the end of this 10 minute heavy metal anthem there is a quote from the notes of Cliff Burton (RIP, the greatest bass player of all time). 09. Dyers Eve - often overlooked song. Very impressive, with lots of quick palm mutes and greeat lyrics. // 9

Overall Impression: This album is quite honeslty a follow up to the most influential metal album ever. This is my second favourite album by any artist and I already own 4 copies of it, three of which are not opened. // 10

...And Justice For All Reviewed by: South-of-Heaven, on december 09, 2006

Sound: Justice. The last real metal album Metallica ever made. Despite the sound being kinda different and stuff, it makes for a good sound unless you're looking for something really heavy. But other than that it seems to add complexion to the whole album. You may sometimes not be able to tell the difference between notes n stuff which is bad for tabbing but if it didn't seem so quiet then it would be one of the heaviest albums ever created. // 9

Lyrics: These lyrics are among the best written by James Hetfield. They all seem so harsh, incredibly metaphorical and usually just randomly good. Among the best are "Lady justice has been raped/Truth assassin" taken from the title track. This cleverly describes how someone could be being punished for something they didn't do. Also, the WHole "Harvester of Sorrow" thing is metaphorically hiding the theme of a drug dealer. "Drink up, shoot in/Let the feelings begin" describes the instructions of what to do with the "product" and "Try getting back to me/Get back what used to be" describes the feeling inside a long time customer. I could go on, but I would rather spend more time on the impression bit where I can boringly describe all the songs. // 10

Overall Impression: I love the complexion and sophistication on the album. The way it dares to go where no other Metallica album ever did. Or possibly ever will do unless they come up with something that daringly sounds like St. Anger only good. I don't have all the Metallcia albums, but it is better than Ride the Lightning and nearly as good as Master of Puppets. Anyway if you just want to download some songs rather than get up off your arse and go out and buy this then here is my track by track rating: 01. Blackened - most 'Tallica albums have a song based upon the apocalypse or armageddon. This is it for Justice. The second fastest song is first again here as it was on Lightning and Puppets. Brilliant riffs, and breakneck guitar playing. 02 ...And Justice For All - I don't get the title but it's a good song. More complex than anything else '80s. And probably longer. Even the riff is complex. 03. Eye Of The Beholder - cool opening and a cool riff. Cool lyrics. Cool. Cooool. Anyway the rhythm is really bouncy and driving. Also released on single in 1989. It deserves to be though. 04. One - you know One. What can I say? Almost prefect. Beautiful song. Really famous and deserves to be. 05. The Shortest Straw - one of the harder ones to like because of the stiffness of it. But once you like it you will love it. Really good riffs to be found here. 06. Harvester Of Sorrow - a track pick alongside One and Dyers Eve. Really good and thoughtful riffs in this joint. As mentioned earlier the song is (metaphorically) based on a drug dealer, so the lyrics here are the best on the album. 07. The Frayed Ends Of Sanity - a seven minute epic. It may have a slightly boring beginning, but some of the riffs and lyrical themes are really good and catchy. The solo is quite complex but annoying and ultimately boring. 08. To Live Is To Die - ten minute semi-instrumental, where the only words are almost whispered about 7 minutes in. Good acoustic intro and some awesome riffs. Would be a track pick if it wasn't so long. 09. Dyers Eve - woah! Anyway this is a really fast track with awesome lyrics and catchy rythms and fills to match. Damn he had some bad parents though. But a good way to end the album. // 10

...And Justice For All Reviewed by: Metal Matt, on october 14, 2003

Sound: Metallica's ...And Justice for All album could arguably be the greatest album of any genre of all time. This is a simply amazing piece of work. There is not a single moment on this album that isn't pure genius. From the intro solo on blackened to very last note of Dyer's Eve there is nothing but incredible guitar work from both a rhythm and lead perspective, impecible drumming and the bass... ok so there is no bass but lets face it thats what helps define this album. Metallica, in creating this album, stumbled upon a sound where the rhythm guitar and drums are pushed to the forefront and become the musical emphasis of the album. It's this sound which has gone on to influence so many new rock groups (think about nu-metal... it's all rhythm guitar and drums). But this album is definently not nu-metal. Kirk Hammett reaches his peak as a lead guitarist on this album with some of the best solo's ever written (Blackened, Dyer's Eve, One, Frayed Ends of Sanity). Also the use of the double bass drum on this album is legendary in the ending part of the song 'One' (everybody knows the part I'm talking about). The major complaint with this album from some fans and the band members themselves is that the songs are too long (some songs clocking in at just under 10 minutes). This is a viewpoint that I do not share. While the songs are lengthy they are never too long. // 10

Lyrics: AJFA Lyrics = Genius This album is the one that gives the finger to anything Metallica missed on their first three albums. James' voice also really begins to develop into what we know today although the full progression would not be made until the black album. The lyrics are very socially aware although Metallica continually refrains from taking a standpoint on these issues. They more or less just throw the topics out there and let us deal with them. However, there are moments upon which we all feel the intense emotion that Metallica is trying to convey, for instance in the song 'One' it is impossible not to be drawn in to what the victim is thinking. // 10

Overall Impression: This is in my opinion Metallica's greatest album. The rhythm guitar is perfect from start to finish. The leads are amazing and the rhythm work is untouchable. Rather than giving you some of the best songs on the album I'm going to list every song and tell you what makes it so great because every song on the album could be the greatest song on the album. Blackened - Extremely fast and cool. The opening riff grabs you and holds you throughout the entire song. It also has a great bridge and chorus. ...And Justice For All - One of the coolest and most complex sounding riffs ever. Plus it's extremely fun to play. Eye of the Beholder - the lyrics on this one are great. While it is the simplest song on the album (but far from simple) it has a chorus that draws you in. One - Every aspect of this song is perfect. Unbelievable harmonies, solos, riffs, drumming, and lyrics. YOU MUST LISTEN TO THIS SONG!!! Shortest Straw - Great complexity. Plus the lyrics are really good. This is a heavy number! Harvester of Sorrow - Definently some of Metallica's darkest lyrics. The opening riff is haunting and amazing at the same time. Plus there's a great heavy silence after the bridge. Frayed Ends of Sanity - The main riff is the ultimate in complex rhythm. The lyrics in this song are great but the best part of the song is the bridge and solo. To Live is To Die - Cliff Burton = Musicianship. If you don't feel emotion when you hear the acoustic part in the middle and the following solo check your pulse to make sure you have one you heartless &*!#. Dyer's Eve - My personal favorite song on the album. The fastest song on the album and without a doubt James Hetfields best rhythm work ever. Probably the second best lyrics (One's are first), and an amazing solo to cap it all off. Oh yea there's a cool bridge too. The song has everything. // 10

...And Justice For All Reviewed by: unregistered, on march 29, 2004

Sound: On ...And justice for all, Kirk Hammett really shows what it is to be a great inspirational guitarist. His solos on this album are near perfect, and James rythm guitar and smooth voice just sum up what it is to be truly awesome at what you do. Lars Ulrich always seems to come up with a beat that takes a second to catch, but once you do it touches you. All the power of their muscial talent seems to have just peaked on this album. I don't believe they could have played it better, especially in the acoustic part of "To live is to die". You just know that they poured their heart and soul into the writing of not only that song but every other song on the album as well. // 10

Lyrics: There isn't really much else anyone can say accept that James Hetfield writes some of the best lyrics ever to be put into a song. The words just feel like they should go with that particular music. I don't know how to express how perfect the mans skillz at writing songs are. He has a style his own, and that's all their is to it. // 10

Overall Impression: I feel this is quite possibly the best album I have ever put into a cd player. I was first hooked on the black album a few years ago just like everybody else, but now I've found the goods. I got the cd about 4 or 5 months ago and still listen to it like I bought it yesterday. I love the good flow of music and the drawn out songs that you can listen to and dwell on, and when it's over you realize you were listening to Metallica, not sitting in heaven. I really can't complain about this album. Their are no true drawbacks, and if I lost it or it were stolen I'd buy it again and probably buy a copy for a friend while I was at it. // 10

...And Justice For All Reviewed by: PsychoWolfD, on june 02, 2004

Sound: This is a very unique album when it comes to sound. No, Metallica never changed their sound. It's still the same, but there is something in the heaviness of the guitarwork that makes it more intense than ever. The hit single, "One", is one of the most powerful songs in my opinion. The instrumental, "To Live Is To Die" contains acoustic and harmonious areas performed by Hetfield. That instrumental sounds like it abruptly stopped near its end and bursts into final track "Dyer's Eve", which is an awesome thrasher. // 10

Lyrics: Hetfield is at his best when it comes to lyrics. This album, they talk more about world problems more than their past material. 1. "Blackened" is about pollution and the self-destructive things that we do the people. (Hetfield/Ulrich/Newsted), 6:40 2. "...And Justice For All" is about all justice for the people lost in the world. Listen to the opening and the middle solo. It is beautiful! (Hetfield/Ulrich/Hammett), 9:44 3. "Eye Of The Beholder" one of the 3 singles of this album. Its a song about people who don't have the right freedom as we do. (Hetfield/Ulrich/Hammett), 6:25 4. "One" one of the singles. the intro has war sounds. this song is about a basketcase, someone who is a landmine victim and cannot move at all and just lives in bed in pain. You got to see its (conceptual) music video. Listen for the all the solos. They are of the best ever! (Hetfield/Ulrich), 7:24 5. "The Shortest Straw" I couldn't exactly get into this song, but it's not bad. Something about a bad fate, I suppose. (Hetfield/Ulrich), 6:35 6. "Harvester Of Sorrow" one of the singles. I really like the intro. The lyrics I don't understand exactly what it means, but it is sort of doomy. I really like this song. (Hetfield/Ulrich), 5:42 7. "The Frayed Ends Of Sanity" I personally believe the main attraction is the riff. Its sort of about losing sanity or something. (Hetfield/Ulrich/Hammett), 7:40 8. "To Live Is To Die" is the instrumental with acoustic areas that are awesome. Despite the fact that this is an instrumental, there is, in the middle of the song, a small verse, more of a speech to me, actually. Those lyrics were actually written by their previous and dead bassist, Cliff Burton. Maybe Metallica used this track and dedicated it to him. Maybe they used a quote that he said in the past or something that fits this track. I don't want anyone to miss this track when he or she listens to this album. (Hetfield/Ulrich/Burton), 9:48 9. "Dyer's Eve" is about what one's parents do to that kid. Like, "Children are seen but not heard", etc. // 10

Overall Impression: This is one of Metallica's best of their albums. I'm sure you can find this album anywhere, so go get it now. If it's stolen, steal it back. If broken, buy another one or use mp3 to make a new one or something! I love this album. You might too. // 10

...And Justice For All Reviewed by: Guitardude76, on december 07, 2004

Sound: ...And Justice For All is a very interesting album from one of metal's greatest bands. This was the album that had a very progressive feel to it. Long songs (two of them are almost 10 minutes), odd time signatures, and very complex song structures. This album features Kirk's playing ability at his finest, as he really shreds it up here (hey, he did take lessons from Satriani). Although never a truly great drummer, Justice features Lars Ulrich at his best, such as the double bass drum in "One" or his intense work on "Dyers Eve". For the rhythm work, James does an absolutely fantastic job. The thrashy rhythm on some tracks such as "Blackened" and "Dyers Eve" show why he is easily one of the best rhythm players ever. However here comes the problem. Jason Newsted plays bass on here, but funny, where is it? Well for some reason, it is very quiet! I can only hear it once in awhile, but for that you got to listen to it carefully. The production on here is also quite strange. Besides the very quiet bass, the guitars and drums just have some odd sound to them that's hard to describe. If you listen to their older stuff and even their newer stuff, you'll know what I mean. It's a real shame that Newsted was neglected, because he is really a great bass player. If it weren't for the bad production and the neglected bass, this would've easily gotten a 5. // 8

Lyrics: I think this is the peak of Metallica's lyric writing. From political injustice (title track), to war (the epic "One"), and parents (Dyers Eve), this album is full of hate to all the things wrong in the world. Hetfield's voice was at his best here in my mind. No more of the schreechy voice that was on the previous records. Here, it's quite a growly manly voice, which he would keep using until this day. // 10

Overall Impression: ...And Justice For All, in my mind, is the perfect example of a flawed masterpiece. Some disliked the album, blaming it on the use of long songs and bad production, while others praised it for the high level of musicianship. I think that songs such as Blackened, ...And Justice For All, One, and Dyers Eve, and To Live Is To Die were the best tracks. I felt that the others songs (Eye Of The Beholder, Shortest Straw, Harvester Of Sorrow, Frayed Ends of Sanity) were good, but not outstanding like the other tracks. It's a shame that Newsted didn't really contribute to the album, and to this day I wonder why they seemed to leave him out and have the bass really quiet. I didn't mind the length of the tracks at all, since I prefer them to shorter ones. I would buy this album again if it were stolen, and I would recommend this to the more hardcore Metallica fans. If the production on the album was better, if Newsted could contribute his bass work, and the songs in the middle of the album were better, then this would've easily passed anything else that Metallica had ever done. For that, Justice will always remain in my mind as Metallica's flawed masterpiece. // 10

...And Justice For All Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 05, 2005

Sound: First off, this IS Metallica's best CD. People say it's Master Of Puppets, but why has Justice sold 7 million copies and Master only 3 million. This CD is very heavy yet it won't hurt your ears. The rhyhthm is complex (complex enough to be complex). If you play guitar, try playin' it. I don't just mean "One" I mean the entire CD. It'll give you a run for your money. James is just spectacular in this CD. It's his best vocal preformance and rythm playin ever. Kirk's solos are flawless. Lars's drumming is the definition of metal drumming. But Jason, he was neglected since he joined Metallica. I can hear the bass sometimes. I bring up the point that in all Metallica CD's the bass is really hard to hear (yea even with Cliff). I can hear it when I listen hard enough. Not to talk bad of Jason, the CD dosen't even need bass. I love "Harvest Of Sarrow", "...And Justice For All," "One," "Frayed Ends Of Sanity" and "To Live Is To Die." // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are so profound. They are so deep and heartfelt. They are some of the most powerful lyrics I ever heard/read. It fits right in with the music. James's singing couldn't be better. It is the definiton of good heavy metal singing. My good man it's crazy. // 10

Overall Impression: In to words "holy s--t!" The day I bought it I started listening to it at 2pm. When I finally turned it off it was almost 8. I still listen to it alot. I can't get enough. The only thing better than hearing the CD is hearing the songs live. This might be one of the best CD's I ever heard in my life. // 10

...And Justice For All Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 31, 2005

Sound: This has to be by sound Metallica's heaviest sounding album and lyrical in a way. I am a huge Metallica fan see them any time I can and this is my overall favorite album because the power speed and agression in these songs just amazing talent. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics where deep and not in a drpressional way but just in a true sadistical way. In Blackened the first song the lyrics are just so powerful along with the drumming and the guitar and bass. It's just amizing how good all of it is put together. James is actually realy screaming his ass off in this CD compared to others more of a heavy metal than a speed metal. // 10

Overall Impression: I can't realy compare it to other albums because it's just so amazing. The most impressive songs are One of course Blackened, Harvester Of Sorrow, To Live Is To Die, and Eye Of The Beholder. I love every song in this because of the power and aggression but there cant be anything bad on this CD. If it where lost or stolen I would go out and buy it again right away because its my favorite of all albums. I say go buy it, its jason newsteds's first time recording with Metallica and it couldn't get any better it's just amazing how timed and well all the drumming guitar riffs bass lines and solos are compiled together. // 10

...And Justice For All Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 13, 2005

Sound: Ah, the greatest album ever by the greatest band in the world, Metallica. This would make it the best album ever right? In my opinion yes. This was a huge step from "Master Of Puppets" in writting quality and soud quality. I'm tired of hearing people whine about not that much bass in the record, but the thing is, even with Cliff Burton it was hard to hear the bass. The fact of the matter is, this album doensnt need bass. Also this was the debute album for Jason Newsted and I think Metallica (James, Lars, and Kirk) didn't quite feel the fan base was ready for a new bassist, in my opinion. // 10

Lyrics: When I first heard this album I thought that James had took a big leap in writting ability. The songs can be perseeved in many ways which makes James Hetfield such a great songwriter/musician. The lyrics take on anti-government, personal tragedy, and war meanings. This was also the peak of James's vocal skill. His singing voice was excellent for the lyrics and the song. // 10

Overall Impression: This album kicks all of these cheesy new bands (Green Day, Slipknot, and Korn). The lyrics, songs, and musical abbillity achevied in this record will probably never be mached by anyone. The songs taht stuck out for me were of course "One," "Harvester Of Sorrow," and "Dyer's Eve." The only thing I can complain about on this record is the fact that most of these songs cant be played live. If it was stolen or lost, of course I would get a new one. // 10

...And Justice For All Reviewed by: unregistered, on october 05, 2005

Sound: First off, Metallica is the best band in the history of metal. The sound on this album is fuckin crazy. This was the first Metallica album that I bought and its by far my favorite. James' rhythm is so unique on this album. He incorporates in his unique classical style on songs like "One" and "To Live Is To Die." He plays so fast and with such complexity that it's hard to believe that it is rhythm guitar instead of lead. Kirk's solos are so complex and fast it hurts my fingers when I attempt to play them on guitar. You can't hear the bass, so what. Newsted couldn't live up to Cliff Burton anyway. I think that Lars' drumming is absolutely unreal. The rhythm he has is unsurpassed by any drummer. Just listen to the drumming on "One," great work by the best band ever. // 10

Lyrics: I think that this albums lyrics are the deepest of all the albums. James really came into his own writing the lyrics on Justice. Plus adding in Cliff's little poem on "To Live Is To Die" was genious. James' voice is the best in metal and he proves this on Justice. He dosen't sound like a 15 year old like on Kill 'Em All and Ride The Lightning. The lyrics are more complex and deep than Master, and the gravel in his voice mixed perfectly with the raw crunch of the rhythm. Execellent. // 10

Overall Impression: I love this album. It's my favorite album of all time. By any band. The only album that is even in its league when it comes to speed is Reign In Blood by Slayer. Slayer's solos and lyrics suck though and James sings better than Tom Araya on his best day. Master Of Puppets is close but the lyrics kill the chance that it had to be the best of their career. The most impressive song is "One." It's deep and has excellent rhythm and one of the top 5 guitar solos in the history of rock. Maybe Mr. Crowley can come close to "One." That's a tight race for the best. RIP Randy Rhoads. I love the solos the best and the rhythm guitar is the best on any album ever. It's so fast and complex, it's just sad. Blackened is my favorite song on the album, because of the speed and my band covers it as our opener at our gigs. The message of that song is impressive. I have bought ...And Justice For All, 4 times. I wear it out every time that I have it. Best metal album ever. // 10

...And Justice For All Reviewed by: Guitarplaya27, on january 31, 2006

Sound: The sound is the best I have heard from Metallica! They have a ton of palm mutings and fast riffs that give you a taste of what they were before black. These guys are genious. 01. Blackened - this has a fast quick riff with a ton of hammer ons. In the verse there is some palm mutings that give ht esong a good overall sound. 02. ...And Justice For All - there is a cool beginning where there is a acoustc part and then theres some distorted parts that give it a good sound. I really like this one riff that is after the whole justice is lost part of the song. 03. Eye Of The Beholder - there is a ton of palm mutings throughout the whole song! the biginning gives the whole song away. I love the verse riff and the whole song. 04. One - where do I start, the biggining has a ton of war sounds. The soft intro is what moves me. The the riff after it is something different. The ending has a ton of palm mutings and a wicked solo. One of my favorite songs. The verse part is very melodic. 05. The Shortest Straw - the verse and chorus have very nice riffs, palm mutings and hammers ons in one riff. 06. Harvester Of Sorrow - the riff has a ton of pauses and is very slow, it is a very dark sound. Alot darker than Sad But True. 07. The Frayed Ends Of Sanity - sounds like Blackened, the riff is very fast and with a ton of hammer ons. 08. To Live Is To Die - a tribute to Cliff, an almost whole musical except for a little saying. The acoustic parts are genious, especially the one in the middle. The distorted parts have palm mutes arranged with fast arts that make the song sound wonderful. 09. Dyers Eve - this song has mixed very fast drums with slower guitar work it sounds great though. // 10

Lyrics: Everyone knows James Hetfield. He is the best at writing dark deep songs about life. In this one he has One, a song about life after war. Dyers Eve, abut how his parents screwed his life up. And Justice For All, justice getting lost because of our goverment I think. To Iive Is To Die, Something Cliff wrote about how man hurts the world. Do I really need to go on, he is genious. // 10

Overall Impression: The best album of Metallica! I compare it to Master Of Puppets, I think there pretty even excpet I like the lyircs better and the guitar works has a ton of little pieces that no other band will ever find. I love the sound! // 10

...And Justice For All Reviewed by: myampgoesto11, on april 26, 2006

Sound: Probably the best Metallica CD to date, this blows Master Of Puppets out of the water. From the screeching intro of Blackened to the fast paced outro of Dyer's Eve, this CD will please Metallica fans, metalheads, and will beg CD collecters to listen to it forever. Fast-paced and heavy, this is one of the most talented and ear-pleasing metal CDs every made. Kirk Hammet's solos are really something. Sometimes fast are wickedly distorted, or slow and clean. Whatever, they are written beyond worth complimenting, and sound even better. The intros to ...And Justice For All and One are slow, dark, and meaningful. The intros to The Shortest Straw, Eye Of The Beholder, and Dyer's Eve are exactly the oppisite, save the meaningful part. They are fast heavy, and mean. Probably the most underated guitarist in rock history, James Hetfield's rhythm work is phenominal. Backing up Krik Hammet is no easy task, but James takes rhythm guitar to a new level, not to mention doing the vocal parts as well. Lars Ulrich has cemented his place in rock history as one of the finest drummers. This is some of his finest work with a double bass drum, and some of his finest drumming period. Though often ignored, bassist Jason Newsted nicely fills Cliff Burton's shoes, and adds a little. Not saying he is better, (sorry Jason) but he is a little deeper than Cliff. // 10

Lyrics: Ingenious. Talking about many topics from greed, money, to war, they are deep, moving, and dark. This is some of Hetfield's best work here, though his voice not fully developed. Not much more to say than that metal vocalists who would prefer not to scream should follow Hetfield's example. // 10

Overall Impression: Best Metallica CD by far, again. Metallica stands above the countless metal bands that sprawl across the globe. They are some of the best metal bands across the world, and for every CD it inspired players 100-fold. The most impressive songs on the CD are tracks 1-6. They make up the highlights of the CD. With errie, slow intros to finger-bleeding-ly fast solos, there is nothing to hate, everything to love. If it was stolen. the thief would be lieing 6-feet deep by now. It's so impressivly crafted, you should buy 2 copies. One to play, one to keep locked in a sheet a 2" deep bulletproof PlexiGlass. // 10

...And Justice For All Reviewed by: boyan89, on june 17, 2006

Sound: The sound on this album is friggin amazing. This is probably one of Metallica's heaviest and most ambitious albums ever made. The guitars on this album are amazing Kirk and James can really play guitar, and Kirk with the raging solos gotta love it. The drums are just plain kick-ass and the bass is good even though you cant really hear it. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics on this album are really, really good. The lyrics really do speak out on this one. The thing that amazes me about the lyrics is how they plan it I mean they go talking about justice to what a man feels like when he is in a war. That is what I call good songwriting structure and these guys can really pull it off. // 10

Overall Impression: This album cannot compare to any other artist's. This is one of the best album's in rock and the heavy metal decade ever made. I do not hate anything about this album I like every single moment off it. And those who call themselves "Headbangers" get this album and listen to some true headbanging songs. So if this album were lost I would most definetely go out and buy it again. Get this album right now you will not regret it I am telling you you will get blown away with this. // 10

...And Justice For All Reviewed by: Dancing Fool, on august 22, 2006

Sound: Metallica entered the studio at the height of their power, so to speak. With the success of Master of Puppets behind them, they knew they needed to create something to top it. And they did. But a key ingredient was missing: original bassist Cliff Burton, whos tragic death still shocked and effected Metallica. When they left, they were armed with their heavyest, most complex album to date. But within the heavyness of... AJFA, lie the centerpiece, so to speak. "One", the power ballad based upon Venom's "Buried Alive" and the gruesome lyrics upon the novel "Johhny Got His Gun." It scored major success, and landed Metallica's first video. The guitar work on... AJFA is phenomenl. And it had to be, because with very little to no bass, it had to carry the album, along with the drums. It makes you wonder, "What would this sound like with more bass?" The answer would be the heavyest alvum ever known to man. Speaking of drums, Lars Ulich proves on this album that he may well be crowned the king of double-bass. Instead of rapid-fire bass drum fills, they are fast-paced, but not the the extented that the drummers legs will collapse. They are well written, and helps prove that Metallica pioneereed the thrash metal movement, and Lars pioneered the art of double-bass. The solos on this album one this album also represent the sheer ability that Hetfield [and Lars Ulirch] possess when it comes to writing solos. The intro solo to "One" is one of the most beautifully written solos of all time. With the clever use of hammer-ons and pull-offs, there isn't much to hate. And the instrumental "To Live Is To Die" is an instrumental that rivals, if not overcomes, Orion. The acoustic drenched intro fades into a more Metallica like thrash metal, with powerful kick drumming from Ulrich, and the usual distorion-ridden riffs. // 9

Lyrics: James Hetfield is one of metals, and musics, best lyricists. Every one of the songs is layered with metaphors, and has a meaning. And... AJFA takes his writing to a new level, by dicussing issues that plauge the world still, like greed. They are also nihilistic, and apoalyptic as they come [Blackened], meaningful, [Dyers Eve], and and the late Cliff Burton provides a very true statement in To Live Is To Die. However, the is one flaw in the gem that is..AJFA. It would have to be the way Hetfield sings Dyers Eve. When the vocals kick in, they are too fast compared to the song, and they would have suited better against a instrumental, or a acoustic ballad. Lyrically, Metallica is, and always will be, at their height. J. Hetfield is one of music's most underrated guitarist, andhe is also the most pleasent [imo] frontman to listen to whilst singing. // 9

Overall Impression: The impression is simple, and is mentioned before. It is one of the heavyest albums introduced to mankind, even without the power of a bassist, so to speak. The raw, jittery time changes, and songs that lack any direction at all, really, make up this masterpiece, with few flaws. One would think that with such a powerhouse bassist Jason Newsted, why they didn't use him, and if Cliff Burton was still alive, what the phenomenal bassist would have brought to the table. The most impressive songs on the album are a hard thing to choose, out of the 9 marathon-length masterpieces. But a definat choice would be "One", a song that I've already explained a little much for one review. To Live Is To Die is also a perfect addition, with switches from acoustic to electric, and complex time changes, and the addition of Cliff Burton's underrated short phrase also helped majorly. Their is much to love and little to hate whlist talking about... AJFA. It is ideal for every Metallica fan, and thrash metal fan. I would not let this album be stolen, or out of my sight for that matter when it leaves the saftey of my room, for it is that important. // 9

...And Justice For All Reviewed by: RockNRollfan1, on january 04, 2007

Sound: The only negative of this album is the poor sound production, the bass is missing for the most part, it got mixed in with the guitars I believe somehow. Anyways, the drums make a slightly annoying clicking noise instead of thud, it really can be hard on "One". As far as the rest of it goes, some of the riffs are generic but get the job done, nothing too innovative about the sound, though "To Live Is To Die" is a really amazing song, structured like an orchestra, just a great metal instrumental an amazing ode to the Cliff Burton who had died before this album. // 8

Lyrics: Now this is where the album shines, some of the greatest lyrics can be found on this album, every song except for the instrumental has well done and complete set of lyrics, especially Eye of the Beholder, where it makes up for a generic riff with just amazingly catchy lyrics. The subject of the lyrics range from a lot of things like a man who can't communicate with the outside world after being handicapped from war "One" and the abuse of justice and what not "...And Justice For All". As far as the singing goes, Hetfield gets the job done and that's about it, though he does a remarkable job on "One." // 10

Overall Impression: This is up there with Ride The Lightning and Master Of Puppets as Metallica's best album and if I must say, it is their last true metal album. Some song standouts would be the opener Blackened, the title track, One and the thrash ender Dyers Eve, but really, all the songs are really awesome full with classic riffs and complete with some of the best lyrics you'll ever hear sung. The only problem I have with this album is the production, somehow things got messed up as far as the drum "clicking" and "invisible" bass goes. It is a long album too and yes, that is a good thing, you'll want to hear each second of it, or atleast I always do! Anyways, so if you don't have this album and you like Metallica or just metal in general this album would be a great pickup. // 10

...And Justice For All Reviewed by: njustice4all, on february 08, 2007

Sound: This was Metallica's last kick ass album from the '80s. From Kill 'Em All to Black. Metallica has never failed to impress their fans. Each song in this album is awesome, in the sound department. It is very simlilar in heaviness when compared to Master Of Puppets. In their first two albums: Kill 'Em All and Ride The Lightning, they were still developing into one of the greatest bands of all time. But later in the '80s they sounded a lot clearer and heavier. And that brings me back to the And Justice For All album. Metallica is the pioneer band of heavy metal. Unfortunately after this album they became less metal and really just va bunch of wusses. FYI, This was the first album that Metallica recorded without thier great bassist Cliff Burton. We all miss him and his bass skills a lot. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics go very well with the kick ass guitar riffs by Kirk Hammet. James Hetfield did an awesome job on this album with his vocals. James once again raised the roof and really put a lot of time and effort into this album. One song: To Live Is To Die, is comletely instrumental But wouldn't really sound right with lyrics anyway so it kind of works out. Because those lyrics are replaced by kick ass headbangin riffs and solos from James and Kirk. // 9

Overall Impression: Metallica has a very exclusive list of bands that they can be compared to including: Slayer, Megadeth, and Pantera. Of course there are tons of Metallica copy cats. But in sound and performance there is no chance in hell that they will and or can be compared to Metallica. Each song in it's own way really kicks some tail. But in my opinion and by the rest of Metallica's fans. I and they would have to say that Blackend and One would be the most impressive songs in this amazing album. // 10

...And Justice For All Reviewed by: anoreorcist12, on june 30, 2007

Sound: This is definitely my favorite Metallica album. It takes a few listens to take in the weird time signatures, but the more you listen the better it seems to get. Many dongs are in the 6:4 time signature. This is definitely their most sophisticated album. I particularly like the song "One" which starts out with really beautiful acoustic work, then builds up into a powerful riff, that you can't help but bang your head to. // 10

Lyrics: I loved the lyrics and theme for this album. James sings about the world's corruption, decadence, and whatever else comes with it made this album one of my favorites. I'm a big fan of political themes and this is about as close as you are going to get with Metallica. The song "Blackened" is lyrically a genius song. It can be perceived in many different ways. I think of it to be a song about smoking. When James screams "Fire!" I think of lighting up. "To begin with the dance of the dead" to me is like taking a drag, and "Blackened is the end" symbolizes death. // 10

Overall Impression: No matter how long this band's songs are, you never seem to get bored and they are never repetitive. Just about all of the songs are over 5 minutes. Even with my musical add, I never want to skip any of the tracks. This is definitely one of the best metal albums out there. Of course I would buy a new one if it was stolen, and I would hunt the person who stole it down and castrate them. // 10

...And Justice For All Reviewed by: TJM2482, on january 21, 2008

Sound: AJFA is a thrash-era album by Metallica. If you hear all those Metallica fans bashing them lately, it's due to the fact that these fans have been used to albums such as this. This is pure metal madness, back in the days where Hammett ripped ass all over the place, where Lars actually sounded good, and great thrash vocals. I wont mention bass, since they basically removed Jason Newstead from the mix. If you're a fan of guitarists (such as myself), this is the album for you. Pure insanity of the guitar, sweet riffs, solos, everything you could ask for. This album is intense, one of those metal albums that gets your head bobbing, foot tapping, or whatever you do when you hear that metal groove. // 10

Lyrics: Typical thrash vocals. James Hetfield really doesn't stray from this style. It sounds good, but has less versatility in his voice throughout this album than an album like their self-titled. The lyrics really do match the style though. The lyrics are powerful, regardless of meaning. If you're one of those guys that questions the lyrical quality of metal music, look no further than the song "One". I won't spoil it for you, but I could considering a lengthy, epic, amazing song is anything but rare on this album. // 9

Overall Impression: Overall, AJFA is sick (excuse my teenage metalhead lingo). It has really risen in the ranks of best Metallica albums since I started to really get into it. A true testament to Kirk Hammett's guitar playing career. Inspiring for any metal fan. The most impressive songs? Pick a random one and there you go. For me personally, I love "One", "Blackened", and the title track the most. All are great, lengthy songs. If I lost this album, I'd gladly go out and buy a copy. Well worth the price. // 10

...And Justice For All Reviewed by: lopezmetalmunky, on december 23, 2008

Sound: As a late Metallica fan, I personally think that this is Metallica's best work after Cliff Burton's tragic death. Most fans don't like the fact that Metallica made the bass non-existant in the album, but I disagree with this point. Yes, bass is a very important instrument in the band, in fact, you can't really have a band without a bassist, which makes this album one of the more complex albums Metallica has ever done. I look at the fact Jason Newsted was not necessarily included in the work as more of a tribute to Cliff Burton, which is why I can level with the fact there's no bass. The sound of the album is the essence of Metallica. Clean, slow portions of songs that lead into heavy, distorted riffs backed with angry, growling lyrics and amazing drum work make the album come alive with energy. The only thing I would have to complain about in the sound department would be the fact that the drums are a little too loud, especially the kick pedal. I think they did this because of the fact there was practically no bass, but making your drum kit louder does not give you a good bass guitar effect. // 9

Lyrics: James Hetfield's lyrical originality comes into play a lot in this album. The flow of lyrics along with the rhythm is very good and it makes for a good album the whole way around. Also the addition of a song that Cliff Burton was writing is a good touch and a wonderful memento of Cliff's extraordinary role in the band. // 10

Overall Impression: Most of the songs on the album are good, but they don't compare to the other ones on the album. For an example, Eye of the Beholder is a good song; great rhythm guitar and great lyrics, but it doesn't really compare to the beast that is One, which was written about a soldier losing most of his limbs to a landmine (but is also about the book Johnny Got His Gun, which was the same situation). One has blistering solos, great rhythm work, amazing drums and pissed off lyrics that makes Metallica fans yearn for that kind of song years down the road. Overall, this is the most artistically complicated work that Metallica has produced and I would most definately recommend this album to any starting guitar player to give them something to strive for and work for. // 9

...And Justice For All Reviewed by: Alec Evans, on december 23, 2008

Sound: ...And Justice For All was the first Metallica album to feature bassist Jason Newsted, due to the death of previous Cliff Burton. Even though the bass is not very clear in the mix, all is made up for by the power and ferocity that fuels all of the songs. Songs like 'Blackened' and 'Dyers Eve' are amongst Metallica's heaviest, but at the same time they are not afraid to include calmer and more melodic songs, as shown by instrumental 'To Live Is To Die' (which features acoustic guitar) and the most famous song on the album, 'One'. The album shows Metallica's more progressive side, combined with the speed metal style they used for the three albums before it. There is some incredibly fast drumming and guitar work, and the album certainly shows off Metallica's skills as musicians. // 9

Lyrics: Lyrically, '... And Justice For All' is certainly Metallica's best album. They have songs about many subjects, from the title track, which describes the power of money and the legal system, to 'One', which describes a World War One soldier hospitalised by a landmine, who realises that the only way out of his pain is death. Singer James Hetfield is at his angriest, as shown particularly on 'The Shortest Straw', but still manages to put lots of emotion into the poetry he reads in 'To Live Is To Die'. // 10

Overall Impression: Due to it's release in between the two albums often thought to be Metallica's best (Master Of Puppets and The Black Album), '... And Justice For All' is often ignored. However, it contains some of Metallica's best. 01.Blackened: probably Metallica's best album opener (Yes, better than 'Enter Sandman! '), it starts with a reversed passsage of music getting louder and louder building up to the main riff, which if you hate complicated song structures, stay the hell away from. The live performance of this song at Seattle Colloseum in 1989 may be Metallica's best song performance ever. Drummer Lars Ulrich is the star of this song. 02.... And Justice For All: although several minutes could have been cut off this song, it manages to combine a really progressive nature with some very catchy moments. 03.Eye Of The Beholder: with a riff a bit like a slower version of 'Disposable Heroes' from 'Master Of Puppets', this song is similar lyrically to the track before it. It could have been a bit faster, but the guitar duelling halfway through makes up for that. 04.One: similar in structure to 'Welcome Home (Sanitarium)' and 'Fade To Black', only with a solo in between choruses no. 2 & 3, this is a true Metallica classic, showing their ability to mix calm ballads with speed metal, and of course their ability to solo. With lead guitarist Kirk Hammett at his best, it's songs like this that make you thankful that a landmine hasn't taken your hearing. 05.The Shortest Straw: this is quite a fast song, with one of Hetfield's angriest vocal performances and Ulrich's fast drummings. 06.Harvester Of Sorrow: although the weakest song on the album, with a rather poor solo and not much interesting melody, there is still certainly some serious power to this track. 07.The Frayed Ends Of Sanity: not as good as some things on the album, but contains a seriously heavy riff and some highly technical soloing. 08.To Live Is To Die: built up of riffs & poetry by Cliff Burton before his death, this is Metallica's longest instrumental, and could well be the best. It starts off with an acoustic guitar passage, then goes into the full band playing. In the middle of the song, there is more acoustic guitar, and whilst there is no actual singing, Hetfield reads some poetry. This song is proof that without words, you can still tell a story. The end is cut off, maybe to reperesent Cliff's life... 09.Dyers Eve: Dyers Eve is musically the most 'Kill 'Em All' song on the album, but instead of lyrics about headbanging and starting fights, it is about child abuse from the point of view of the child ("Dear mother, dear father, what is this hell that you have put me through?") Contrary to common beleif, I think that 'Justice' is Metallica's best album, and perhaps if the bass were a little louder and the production more professional, everyone would be associating Metallica with '... And Justice For All' instead of 'Master Of Puppets'. // 10

...And Justice For All Reviewed by: imills, on january 08, 2009

Sound: I believe in this album Metallica evolved as a band a lilttle bit in a good way. They've still got the thrashical goodness that made them who they were, but there's also a little bit more to this album. The solos seem very original and yet way different in every song. I think this is the album where Kirk wrote his best music. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics to this album focus mainly on death and justice, as would be expected, but they are well-crafted, and I feel this album to include some of James best work, lyrically, and of course, with the rhythms. The lyrics match the music well, and this is one of the last albums with James' old voice, which many fans, myself included, like. // 10

Overall Impression: This is one of my favorite Metallica albums, and I definitely feel like it is their best work. It's hard to go down the album and pick out my favorite songs, but I'll try. These are songs I really think are great: Blackened, And Justice For All, Eye of the Beholder, One, To Live Is To Die, The Shortest Straw, Harvestor Of Sorrow, The Frayed Ends of Sanity, Dyers Eve. Each song has it's own feeling to it, and the songs mix well together, so I had to put down each of them. If some kind of asshole deleted the songs off my computer and trashed my CD, I would definitely buy it again. /v\ETALLIC/\! // 10

...And Justice For All Reviewed by: zope, on may 05, 2009

Sound: This is the first record where bassist Cliff Burton was replaced by Jason Newsted. In one hand you had Cliff, whose playing was mounstrosly strong, sometimes following the guitars, sometimes playing along with drums and sometimes bringing his own bassline. He played solos and was some of a virtuoso, he is probably one of the best players of all music history. He died in an accident in Sweden, qhile touring for Master of Puppets. Metallica found themselves in a mourning over a very good friend and having to replace an important piece. Cliff used to write a fair amount of guitar riffs, write his own basslines and help James with harmonies. In the other hand Jason Newsted the new bassist came to replace Cliff after an audition which consisted mainly of fans. Jason brought a lot of energy and a great attitude to the audition which gain the trust of the other three guys. But to the other three guys he was the replacement for Cliff, and was seen as the replacement not like a new friend. His playing was a lot inexperienced and he had to replace a bass god, and Jason plays very good but he is not half the player Cliff was. First off, he plays with a pick (if you're a bassplayer and play with a pick, goddamit, your punishing your band with a bad sound, it may sound louder, but that doesn't mean that finger playing can't be powerfull). Second, for this record he only played what the guitars played, if you're a bass player you don't want to do this. Drums don't play what guitar play, keyboards don't play what guitar plays, bass is another instrument and has to have his own part, bass has to pound the rythm or create a melodic mood. Third, Jason was sabbotaged by the rest of the band in his sound, making the bass almost silent. All this backround sets for a bad record in regard for the Bass. Drumms, Lars did an excelent job, I've heard a lot of drummers say that this is his climax in playing, he plays a very well defined drums, good speed and a lot of fills. He uses a great amount of double bass. His drummer accompanied well the anger in the record. Guitars, both James an Kirk did very nice job, this record has the best riffs and very fast strumming. There are a lot of complex parts and great bridges and interludes. Kirk also does a great job with the solos, powerfull, fast, with a great sound, also angry, and this record gives what is considered his trademark solo and a top ten in great guitar solos countdown for one. Not many harmonies, notable that there is no Cliff around. Vocals, they sound pissed off and are barked out of James' mouth as a mad Dobermann. This is my favourite voice by James, and definitely is full of anger. As the first record without cliff I would've expected a record dedicated to him, but they seem to have their anger driven against government and economy. A lot of anger, there is a notable evolution in everyones playing, not many attention over harmonies, and a bad debut by Jason. // 6

Lyrics: 01.Blackened: Blackened starts off the record, not with an acoustic intro, but with a great harmonie played backwards. This is my favourite intro in a Metallica record building up with power until a very fast riff by James takes place. This is a great fast song perfect for headbanging along. James sings very powerfully, shouts loudly and goes on singing about massive destruction due to nuclear war. Sets the mood for a record making a political statement. The song goes on to a great interlude with lars kicking the bass drum at a nice pace. There is a great harmony before a great solo which speeds up to a kick ass crazy solo. The song has another verse after endinng with the main riff. 02.And Justice For All: great clean intro building up, asembling the intro to battery. Lars puts up a great drum part which is followed by the guitars, There is a great harmonie that pictures destruction, then the vocals start off. The lyrics are about how powerfull people maintain their power and focus on their own interest over the interest of the people. It's a great critic against government and against material life. There are a lot of fills performed by Lars that bring anger and power to the song. Then there is another verse and the solo. Slow great with the music, probably one of my favourite ones, it follows a great melody. Then there is a great pounding part that drops into the intro riff with distortion. There's another verse and chorus, followed by the great destruction harmoniy(in live shows back in the day, this part led to Dorothy, the statue on the cover to be destroyed), and the song ending. 03.Eye Of The Beholder: Starts of with pounding drumms and some guitar strumming which builds into a simple riff that goes troughout the song. This song is great even if it is very repetitive. James Voice is layered which gives a digital taste to the song, then there's the chorus which is another simple riff. The lyrics are about Trust, confidence, moral and other aspects, values that have been disapearing in civilization. There are several more verses, followed by a harmony and a short very nice solo to end with another verse chorus. 04.One: Definitely my very favourite song of all time. It starts off with some war noise followed by a clean part similar to the parts in both Fade to Black and Welcome Home. There is a very clean adecuate solo building up to the verse riff which converts into a great clean part consisting on several guitar parts layered one over another. Then the first verse. The lyrics deal with someone, a young soldier that got blasted by a landmine during war. The chorus is dissorted and the voice sounds depressing. Then the clean part joins the second verse and chorus. Next comes the clean part with my favorite solo. A clean but full of soul solo with arpeggios and chords building into a tapping part. Another chorus and the distortion starts, there are two riffs that build onto a bass drum part simulating a gunshot. Guitars come in following the drumms and some lyrics that complain about being enclosed by a body. Then the song gets faster building onto the solo, a tapping trademark full of scales and awesome bends that suit great. The song goes on to a harmoniy, a kick ass harmony that sounds like a big migrane and ends up with more gunshot guitars ending suddenly. 05.The Shortest Straw: This is by far the song that I like the least in the record. The riff and the drumms are simple, they build into a faster riff. The verse starts singing about more politics and war. Lars brings a lot of fills into the song giving a great fill between verses. The solo is great, kirk pulls off some great scales and awesome bends. There is a middle section with some singing, and a second very nice solo. There is a last verse and chorus to end the song. 06.Harvester Of Sorrow: This is one of metallica's more powerful songs. It starts off withsome chord smashing to be followed by a clean section where you can feel the power and adrenaline building in the song. Suddenly the same part is played dissorted accompanied by very strong pounding drumms. This song is an outstanding performance by Lars, he is once again bringging a lot of power and anger to the song. The lyrics are about a man that went mad by the stresses of life and killed his entire family. The solo is short, easy going but is well suited to the song. 07.The Frayed Ends Of Sanity: A Great intro with great drums punding and a powerful Chant that builds into the main riff. The riff is somehow reminding of Black Sabbath's Symptom Of The Universe. Definitely my favourite Metallica Riff. This song is also a bit repetitive but the verses and choruses are powerful enough to hide this. The Song is about becoming crazy and the ends of sanity becoming the birth of insanity. The interlude is great, fast guitars and a great fast solo. The song goes on for another verse chorus to end. 08.To Live Is To Die: This song is this album's instrumental. It's my least favourite instrumental song by Metallica, this doesn't mean at all that it's not good. It starts of with a great acoustic part. Later in the song the main riff, slow but heavy is played throughout. Lars goes changing his parts and doing a lot of fills. There are several leads and a couple of solos before an awesome lead whici is a harmony that suddenly becomes clean, there is another solo followed by some lyrics. Lyrics in an instrumental song? It's just an awesome poem written by Cliff Burton mumbled to the main riff. The song ends up returning to the intro acoustic part. 09.Dyers Eve: To live is to die builds up to this song. This is metallicas fastest song. The riffs are well defined and fast as hell. A lot of thirds played throughout the riffs. This is something I think puts metallica and megadeth way over slayer. Their riffs aren't just moving your hand fast as hell, but moving it fast as hell varying the speed and constantly pausing. The lyrics are a complain agaist father and mother for molding ones life instead of just being a guide through life. The drums are amazing, Lars use his snare to do very great pauses and time intervals. The solo is great, fast and well suited. A great song to end not only the record but Metallica's Thrash era. // 10

Overall Impression: This record is still very similar in structure to previous two albums. I Think that every musician in the band showed a good evolution. Personally I think that the sound is definitely not the same without Cliff, as 1/4 of Metallica had died. The songs are all great especially One which is awesome but escept for this song, I always feel that something is missing in the songs. I love the record though and it is a must have for every metal fan. // 10

...And Justice For All Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 14, 2010

Sound: Overall, this album has some of the best sound this band has ever produced: The most pummeling riffs, the most shredtastic solos, crazy drumming, and most punchy vocals. Oh yes, and there is some awesome groove to the music, to boot. Most people complain about the fact you can't hear the bass on this album, but this doesn't bother me at all, on account that, in my opinion, bass is not that important. In my mind, bass is simply ear candy and a little extra rhythm, which, as said, is not that necessary. It's kind of like nutella on a triple fudge brownie. Sure it's extra chocolatey goodness, but you already have plenty of it with the triple fudge. You only need vocals to convey a message, guitar to add power, and drums to keep the other guys in rhythm. Bass is simply ear candy that has the same basic purpose of drums (despite what I'm saying, I want to learn how to play bass). Besides, if you think about it, it's not always particularly easy to hear the bass on their earlier albums, either. Suffice to say, I don't think bass is that necessary, and I'm too busy headbanging to the searing fury and sick metal sound of this album when listening to it to care. // 10

Lyrics: I would say that this, along with the rest of this album, is pretty much the peak of their career. It's kind of cool how real world topics, such as the faults of the justice system (title track), the sad results of overprotective parenting (Dyer's Eve), how limited freedom in speech and choice are(Eye of the Beholder), etc. And, as almost always, these lyrics are well written. Yes, one could argue that Metallica stated writing political lyrics on Master of Puppets, but this one puts more emphasis on them. Also, James' voice is pretty much the best in his entire career on this album, as it strikes the perfect balance between aggression, power, and maturity. So, 10 out of 10. Bravo. // 10

Overall Impression: I would have to say this is Metallica's best album. Almost all of the songs are utter strokes of heavy metal genius that could be quite inspiring, due to their combo of poignant, political, and well-written lyrics, crushing riffs, face-melting solos, maniac yet skillful drumming, and a powerful sense of groove. I'd have to say my absolute favorite cuts are Eye of the Beholder, Harvester of Sorrow, The Shortest Straw, and The Frayed Ends of Sanity, even though pretty much all of the cuts on the album are brilliant. The only cut that disappoints is Dyer's Eve, due to the slightly annoying riff between the verses and chorus. The other parts are very good, but the aforementioned riff is a little annoying. However, it grows on you, and it really isn't that big of a slip. In conclusion, this is, in my opinion, a thrash classic, and I would definitely buy it again if anything happened to it. // 10

...And Justice For All Reviewed by: tricksy16, on september 08, 2010

Sound: This is Metallica's fourth album that was recorded without legendary bassist Cliff Burton. Evidence of the band's harsh treatment of bassist Jason Newstead is clear here as the bass is inaudible for the entire album. This is also due to the poor production quality such as the drums and the guitars. Yet what makes it so amazing is the pounding, complex riffs combined with superb lyrical content about the justice system, communist witch hunting and insanity. // 9

Lyrics: James Hetfield is the king of rhythm guitar playing, but he also creates lyrics that totally apply to the music. A lot of the lyrics are dark, clever and criticise the world for its mistakes. Also James Hetfield creates pauses and cool singing patterns in these songs too, giving them more impact and making the riffs tighter. // 9

Overall Impression: This album comes with positives and negatives(not many though). First off the riffs are crushingly heavy and songs like Blackened and One include some of Kirk's best lead guitar so far. It's safe to say Metallica were far ahead of any thash metal band and inspired legions of players to pick up guitars and start learning guitar (myself included). However, the riffs and solos start repeating themselves in songs because they use the same chord progressions. For these reasons, Master Of Puppets beats this album to the post as my favourite Metallica album (very close though). If this album is stolen, let the hammer of justice crush you. // 9

...And Justice For All Reviewed by: Rushman1995, on october 15, 2010

Sound: The sound of this album was really good in my opinion because, it was the MOST heaviest metallica album ever recorded. The pulse pounding guitar riffs, the bass was kind of out of step because Metallica fans weren't used to Jason playing instead of Cliff, the drums were great (of course), vocals were hard; like really hard. Another great sounding by Metallica. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics were insane. So powerful, but mostly about politics, it describes what we are into today, if your pissed at our economy, just give this record a listne, you'll feel better, money, war, politics, not everyday you see a metal band singing and composing abou that sort of stuff. Great lyrics. // 9

Overall Impression: Overall, on my top five albums, ever, it would be number 3, my favorite album by metallica, overall. One thing I didn't like was just a few of the guitar solos. Kirk really out did himself, don't get me wrong, but too much wah. If it were lost/theft. YES I would buy it again. // 10

...And Justice For All Reviewed by: unregistered, on september 01, 2011

Sound: By far Metallica's greatest album. It consists of insanely heavy songs like "Dyer's Eve" and "Blackened", along with amazing songs with both clean playing, and heavy metal chords, like "One". I've been playing guitar for about 1.5 to 2 years, and of all the songs I play, I play the ones of this album the most. The soloing is perfection, the riffing is amazing, everything about this album is perfect. // 10

Lyrics: I find the lyrics on this album very creative. James Hetfield is an amazing lyricist, along with one of the best rhythm guitarists of all time. I can identify with alot of the lyrics on this CD, and that's another reason this is my favorite album. I personally find the lyrics to "Eye Of The Beholder" very creative. // 10

Overall Impression: It's an amazing album. I find it the best of Metallica, along with their self titled album, "Metallica", "Master Of Puppets", "Ride The Lightning", and "Kill 'Em All". The most impressive songs, I'd say are "Dyer's Eve", and "Frayed Ends Of Sanity". They both have amazing guitar solos, by Kirk Hammett, who is an AMAZING guitarist. // 10

More Metallica reviews rating latest review
+ King Nothing [Single] 9.5 05/26/2014