Death Magnetic Review

metallica: Death Magnetic
Released: Sep 12, 2008
Genre: Thrash metal
Label: Warner
Metallica return with the single most anticipated metal album of the year.
 Lyrics: 8.2
 8.5
 8.3
 8.6
Death Magnetic Reviewed by: UG Team, on september 12, 2008

Sound: One thing right away -- the album is not very well produced. Rick Rubin is of course not responsible for this, as he didn't engineer it. At times it's a bit too loud, gets a bit fizzy and as often is the case with Metallica's albums, it's basically guitar-snare-vocals. Lars' drumsound is very loud and occupies a large portion of the spectrum, while Hetfield/Hammett hog most of the rest and Trujillo is not as prominent as one could wish. Lars' infamous St Anger -- snare is gone, but I still find his snare on Death Magnetic leaving some to be desired. Lars has also always opted for a more thumpy and wet bassdrum, which in turn makes it sound a bit muddy in the low end. Rhythm guitars on the other hand are tighter than a gnats behind and sound absolutely killer. It's a classic thrash sound in a modern costume. As far as production goes, it's not a great one, it's barely good and I certainly would expect more from a band of this stature. // 6

Lyrics: One of the things that bothered me the most on St Anger were the, at times, atrocious lyrics. I'm glad to say that James Hetfield is, if not back to his 80s form, penning some good, solid lyrics again. The topic most of the album deals with is, as the title indicates, death. Nothing new under sun but it's not so much what you say but how you say it. There're plenty of catchy lines to be found, like Bow down, sell your soul to me, I will set you free in The Judas Kiss or the catchy-yet-somewhat-daft-sounding chorus in Cyanide. While Hetfield doesn't reach the heights of some of his finer works such as ... And Justice For All, Master of Puppets or The Outlaw Torn, he can't be found guilty of putting together a lyric that hurts the song. The vocal delivery is also fairly solid. James sounds like, well, one could expect from a thrasher his age. He has lost some power and grit, but then again so do nigh all vocalists when they make it to the age of 40-something. I can certainly understand people who criticise his as times country-esque howl or the constant addition of AH!! to every other line. But does it bother me? Not so much, but one should also note that I'm accepting Hetfield's delivery for what it is, not praising it. It's fairly solid, at times he sounds great and at times he doesn't sound all that great. I find that as long as he sticks to barking out lyrics, like the verses in The End of The Line, it sounds pretty damn good. But it's far less pleasing when he tries to tap into a more singing, high pitched voice like on The Unforgiven III. However, I'd rather have James doing a good, aggressive delivery with some weaker singing here and there, than the other way around. // 7

Overall Impression: Kirk Hammett a few weeks ago said something along the lines of It's not that we couldn't do a riff/solo record anymore, it's just that we chose not to when asked about the new album and the accusations they've had to stomach with their previous three or four albums. The general feeling I get when listening to Death Magnetic is that stylistically, you can trace the lineage from their 80s efforts to this. Heavy riffs, solos, harmonies, interesting arrangements and a riff-our-hearts-out attitude makes it possible to state that while Death Magnetic is not ... And Justice For All's younger brother, they're at least musically and stylistically related. I'd argue that six or seven out of the ten songs are good-or-better. That's not a bad track record, and makes a good chunk of the album a very enjoyable listen. The instrumental Suicide & Redemption takes a good couple of minutes to achieve anything worth of notice, but the calm, quiet section with Hammett's melody guitar is one of Metallica's finer moments in a good 20 years or so. It's fair to say that a few songs don't deliver all that well (The Unforgiven III is, well, unforgiveable) and a good 10-15 minutes could've been scratched to make this 1.2 hours long album a bit less padded. Outstaying your welcome is one of the worst sins you can commit in my book, but the album opens with a strong barrage of songs and ends on a pretty high note with My Apocalypse. As for the individual efforts, well, Hetfield's vocals we've already talked about. Kirk Hammett is at times horrible and in other places pretty harmless. In my book, a solo should elevate the song and not just take up 12 or 18 bars of space to function as some kind of bridge, but rarely if at all does Hammett deliver a really, really tasty solo. The rhythmplaying is as one could expect, extremely solid, tight and punchy and there's nothing to complain about in that department. Rob Trujillo can't be praised or criticised of much, because he's fairly inaudible at most times, at least on my stereo system. Lars Ulrich, on the other and is very audible and that's a shame. Lars used to be a solid, if adventurous metal-drummer in the 80s but has now deteriorated to a shell of his former self. At best he's pretty harmless and doesn't hurt the song much, but some of the beats and grooves he's conjured up for this are just atrocious. However, while there are individual efforts that deserve criticism, it should also be noted that Metallica in their prime never where a band with much individual flash and they achieved their greatness because of their strength as a band. And that's exactly the case with Death Magnetic - it's a solid effort by the group with a good number of catchy and interesting songs, some songs we definitely can do without, but as a whole it's a solid, mature effort well worthy of a band that's been around for a quarter of a century. Death Magnetic probably won't make my top 10 of the year, because in the grand world of metal, this is just another band and Death Magnetic is just another good-if-not-great album. But I think we can hand out the Feel-good Album of the Year-award right now. Welcome home Metallica. It's been far too long. // 8

- Petter Carnbro aka Reviewer Pete (c) 2008

Death Magnetic Reviewed by: Shlecht, on september 12, 2008

Sound: No more annoying, clanky snare drum. No half-assed, crappy-sounding vocals. Solos left and right (maybe not compared to Kill 'em All, however). Original, catchy, and often fast riffs. An instrumental! Metallica really stepped it up for Death Magnetic, especially in comparison to (the generally considered dreadful) St. Anger. After listening to this album a few times, I'm blown away, and I really have been unable to stop listening lately. It's new, of course, it's a newer Metallica sound, but that's the point - Metallica didn't want to make a repeat album. Everyone expects them to go back to their roots, but everyone should also understand bands change, for the good or the bad. For Metallica, it was most certainly for the good. This album puts St. Anger to shame. I don't even know where to start, really. The album is so great, I wonder how it even happened. Different, and very popular, producer maybe? The addition of a new bassist, rather than Bob Rock's worthlessness behind the scenes? A different approach to writing material? I'm willing to guess these were all huge factors. James and Kirk clearly put more time and effort into making good riffs. Robert's bass can be heard generally pretty well, and his bass lines sound magnificent, especially in the instrumental, Suicide & Redemption. Lars, though his drumming efforts didn't seem entirely promising in the first single, The Day That Never Comes, his drumming can be very complex and fast as hell. In my point of view, his drumming completes a lot of songs rather than just being a part of it for the rhythm (if you know what I mean). His drumming is stellar in Suicide & Redemption, also. Though I don't want to compare it to the old albums (because more than likely whoever is reading this or hears new Metallica, they like the old school stuff better and tend to be picky), there's actually a bit of similarity between Death Magnetic and their old material. And since I have a lot to say about this album - good things - that would probably exceed the character amount in this review, I'll just break down and explain the songs from here. That Was Just Your Life - the song begins with a heartbeat that you'd hear in a really intense part in a war movie. It is followed by a clean riff that sounds like it'd come from the Black Album. Then it just gets heavier, and eventually, faster. The riffs are pretty sweet and catchy, but I'm not really a big fan of the verses that are accompanied by James' vocals. However, the verses are completely made up for when the chorus comes in and the guitars slow down just a little, and James sings I blind my eyes and try to force it all into place. This part really gets me, I don't really know what it is about it, but James sings really well right here and his lyrics are great. The drums in the background really complete it too. Solo, you ask? Hell yes. Brief, but in-your-face and definitely impressive. The End of The Line - starts off with a catchy riff that sounds like a foreshadowing of ass-kicking to follow. The verses are listenable, a bit mediocre, but the chorus is filled with great guitar riffs and it matches perfectly with James' vocals. The breakdown/bridge part (I'm bad at identifying those, and yet I'm writing a review) contains an awesome riff too. The solo in this I find interesting because it sounds like it could come from a work of Tom Morello. It's brief, but interesting. There's a part in this song that seems really out of place. It's slower, and James' lyrics are interesting, like when he says, We bid farewell, the slave becomes the master. But think of this part as the slow, random part in Master of Puppets. Random, but still really good. The part following this is easily the best and most intense part of the song. Broken, Beat and Scarred - one of my favorite songs on the album. To be honest, the introduction doesn't sound very promising - it actually does sound like it'd come from St. Anger. What follows completely redeems the song, however. One of my favorite riff is found in this song, when James' sings, You rise, you fall, you're down then you rise again - what don't kill ya make ya more strong. The riff is in a different form in the verses, which is what make the verses great too. I absolutely love this part, lyrically and musically. The chorus is amazing, with a fast riff and double-bass to really provide intensity. The vocals are excellent too; read the lyrics section of this review and that's what makes the chorus so stellar. James' vocals in this section have a lot of emotional power, at least for me. They just suck you in; it's a goosebumps sort of moment. There's a solo, too. In my point of view, it's okay - a bit generic, but I'm sure many will like it. The Day That Never Comes - the first single. This song told me Metallica was going to deliver a good album. It probably is the most downbeat track, besides The Unforgiven III. But only for the beginning. It is, when you think about it, similar to One - they seem to have the same format, if you will. It starts off with a clean riff, has a heavier chorus, and after a couple of verses/choruses, the instruments guide us into heavier, faster section. From here on, the song is golden. Every part has awesome riffs, and they're so damn catchy, there's no wonder it was the single. This song clearly had potential to reel back in Metallica fans. The solo is great too - fast and elongated. This is definitely one of the best on the album; I'd go as far as to say it's one of the best songs they've come up with. All Nightmare Long - easily one of the best on the album, and I'm sure many of you could have guessed that, judging by the title. The title is just as good as the song (if you think differently, I'm sure the song will at least be good). The guitar has more creativity in it than some of the others, and more catchiness. One of my favorite parts is the chorus, when James shouts, We hunt you down without mercy! Hunt you down all nightmare long! The vocals/lyrics are stellar in this part, and the guitar in the back has sort of an epic feel to it. At one point, after a chorus later in the song, there's a small solo-ish part, followed by a guitar riff that I can't get over. You may not think much of it, but to me (and I'd hope many others) it's one of my favorite riffs that ever came from Metallica. It comes at 5:25 and it's a little brief, but I could listen to it over and over. It's easily ringtone quality (el oh el). The solo after is speedy, and very decent-sounding, which could be an understatement. I'd hope this is the next single, but I don't know how radio-friendly it may be. Amazing song. Cyanide - I think this was one of the first songs to be heard from Death Magnetic. Starts off with distorted guitars with some whammy, then a bass line with drums, and then a bad-ass riff to follow. This is the verse riff and IMO, the verse is better than the chorus, except I especially enjoy when James shouts, Death, hear me call your name! at the end of the chorus. It's altered a bit near the end and sounds even better. The verses are catchy as hell though, so the whole song is worth listening to. There's a little bit of a stretched solo that's all right in the beginning, then becomes a lot better sounding and more focused. They did a great job with this one. The Unforgiven III - the song that I was particularly looking forward to. Unfortunately, it doesn't really live up to my expectations. It sounds okay. The beginning is cool, with a dark, ballad-like piano, followed by a clean guitar riff that also sounds pretty cool and is heard in the chorus. The verses really remind me of something off of either of the load albums, however. Which isn't particularly bad, but there's nothing very special about the verses in this, nor the first three or four minutes of the song, honestly. I will say though, after a bridge section (assuming that's what it is) where James is singing, Forgive me he eventually goes, Why can't I forgive me? It sticks out because at this point, James sounds the best I've heard in a while, and it sounds a bit different from him. But it's bad-ass and beautiful at the same time because of the power it has. I can really appreciate this part. A solo engages from here, and it definitely is one hell of a solo. The last four minutes of the song are totally worth listening to, but this song as a whole isn't really something I'd listen to often, especially considering what the rest of the album has to offer. The Judas Kiss - Definitely an excellent song on the album. Begins with heavy guitars, and works it's way into the simple, yet nonetheless sick riff that was heard in the video that first announced the album name. The verses are incredible in this. Great-sounding riffs with catchy drum beats and James' vocals/lyrics in the back: When you think it's all said and done makes a perfect combination to make a superb song. The chorus, I will say, is a bit generic, but it's not horrible. The lightning-fast (and sometimes whammy'd) solo in this song is awesome too, and there's actually two separate solos. The initial one will sound noticeably more impressive, but both are nonetheless great. Suicide & Redemption - hell yeah! The instrumental! Metallica has no doubt continued their consistently awesome track record of instrumentals. This one is way more modern-sounding (which I suppose it should be, all the songs really are more modern, after all it's 2008). But this song contains the most catchy riffs that I think you'll find on the entire album, though it's hard to say. The riffs hit you the second you turn it on - no slow lead-up that's heard in the previous instrumentals. Bass has some cool moments too. Still, the spotlight is on the guitar and it damn well should be. There's also a slower part midway - sort of reminiscent to that of Orion, just not as elongated. And wowthe solo - it's terrific. Probably my favorite overall on the entire album. Then there's a part near the end where Lars' work is very distinct; it displays a lot more of his talent than other songs may. The riffs though in this song are those riffs that would make someone who doesn't listen to Metallica say, Who is this? because they're so curious and blown away simultaneously. My Apocalypse - pretty good choice as the closer for an amazing album. It's probably the heaviest, most aggressive track on the album, I'd say. The best part, IMO, is when the chorus is first brought in and James (in an interesting way) screams, So we cross! That! Line! The whole sound of the chorus just kicks your ass. The solo is certainly a part that stands in this song, though it may not be entirely long. The song I wouldn't say is amongst my favorites on the album, but it grew on me overtime and it's definitely a great in-your-face song, with a fast tempo constantly, heavy guitars, some crazy drumming, and loud and aggressive vocals. // 9

Lyrics: Okay, so first off, we all have to accept the fact that James probably won't be able to pull off his old school screaming that we hear in songs like Hit The Lights or The Four Horsemen (both Kill 'em All, I know), but I'd safely say that his singing/screaming ability is still above par - it's more than listenable. It's enjoyable. His vocals are especially good in All Nightmare Long, when he shouts: Hunt you down without mercy! Hunt you down all nightmare long! I also really like his more-aggressive vocals in My Apocalypse. One of my favorite parts, vocally, would have to be in Broken, Beat and Scarred, when James shouts Breaking your teeth on the hard life coming! followed by what seems to be the rest of the band in the back shouting Show! Your! Scars! This moment is so powerful, especially since it's backed with double-bass pedals and fast guitar riffs. I think you'll find James at his absolute best singing ability though near the end of The Unforgiven III, when he shouts, Why can't I forgive me? Once you hear it, you'll know. I honestly don't have much to complain about James' lyrical/vocal role in this album. It's not '80s James, but it's sure as hell not anything like Purify, or any other bad examples on St. Anger. He definitely fulfilled the lyrical part sufficiently on this album. // 9

Overall Impression: What this album ultimately all comes down to is two things: 1) is it better than St. Anger? 2) is it anything compared to their old stuff? The answer: I don't know. It really depends on who you are. I can pretty much guarantee more than half of the fans will be satisfied, or more than satisfied. As for me, well, let me put it this way. My brother was able to download the album online, he sent it to me, I couldn't resist. I can't even count how many times I've listened to it, or any of the other songs individually. But what says the most is (and it may be odd), I still 100% plan on purchasing the album. Metallica more than deserve the money. Though I didn't hate St. Anger, there were a few songs that shouldn't have been on there, and the lack of solos was disappointing for everyone. But they have stepped it up significantly to the point where I think it's safe to say this is the best material they've written since The Black Album. Whether it's as good as their old stuff isn't really applicable. They're different - they've been around for nearly three decades - of course they're going to sound different, what band wouldn't? And what fun would it be for a band to have the same sound their entire career? Metallica has a little bit of a different sound, but they certainly have not sold themselves out. It's not '90 southern, heavy rock like the Load albums, and it's not a half-assed album like St. Anger. It's modern Metallica, and they've shown they've still got it in them. They've put blood, sweat, and tears into the making of this beauty. I'm sure Rick Rubin had to be a big contributing factor to the success of this album as well. It's everything a Metallica fan would (or should) want. For me, I thought this album would be good after hearing the first released songs, and it exceeded my desires and expectations. I'm eminently impressed with this piece of work, and I ask for everyone to listen to it with an open mind and stop comparing it to their old stuff because that's their permanent legacy - it's history. Or you may not even need to keep an open mind; the album could just as easily speak for itself. // 10

Death Magnetic Reviewed by: TJM2482, on september 12, 2008

Sound:
01 That Was Just Your Life 02 The End of the Line 03 Broken, Beat & Scarred 04 The Day That Never Comes 05 All Nightmare Long 06 Cyanide 07 The Unforgiven III 08 The Judas Kiss 09 Suicide & Redemption 10 My Apocalypse As hoped for, Metallica is pretty much back to how they sounded in the mid-late 80's. It's not identical sounding, it's a more modern metal-sounding album. The drums are back, much better than the infamous trash cans from St. Anger. The songs are packed with riffs, and by popular request the guitar solo is back. My only problem with the sound is that Kirk still abuses the wah pedal, which I had hoped would be limited on this album. Overall the riffs are tight, drums sound good, and Hetfield's voice sounds much, much younger, reminiscent of earlier albums like Ride the Lightning and Black Album. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics have been improved since St. Anger, as songs are more aggressive and flat-out heavy. Hetfield shows some good range in many songs, and still has a great voice for thrash and metal in general. The lyrics definitely match the much, everything is flat-out insane. James hasn't sounded this good in years, it reminds me much of how his voice sounded on Master of Puppets and And Justice for All. I was pleasantly surprised by how good he sounds after 20+ years of metal, and how well the lyrics complement the music. // 10

Overall Impression: I'd definitely put this album in Metallica's top 5 ever. My favorites so far are The Judas Kiss, All Nightmare Long, and The Day That Never Comes. The only song that I can say I don't like is Cyanide, as it reminds me much more of Reload/St. Anger-ish sounding riffs and song structure. I love how the album is dynamic, much like earlier albums where a lot of the songs are 5+ minutes long and change drastically. Most of the songs are 7+ minutes, but I rarely felt that it was dragging on. Usually Metallica has those one or two songs that do that, but this album is packed with long songs. The only thing I can honestly say I dislike are the wah-filled guitar solos and the song Cyanide. If I lost this album I wouldn't hesitate to get it again. This is a much needed revival of Metallica, and will surely make you hope for another new album in the future. // 10

Death Magnetic Reviewed by: deviliscious, on september 12, 2008

Sound: So is this the Metallica album to save the band's legacy from turning into a nostalgia act? Although 1996's Load offered a handful of fine tunes and groovy hard rock, Metallica's last great album was their self-titled smash hit, almost always referred to as The Black Album. Some fans even reckon that the last great Metallica album dates further back with 1988's And Justice For All. With star-knobturning producer, one Rick Rubin, he challenged the band to attempt pretending that they were fighting for a record deal, reinventing themselves more in terms of really finally grasping their treasured works of the mid to late 80s rather than yet again come up with another musical deviation that has been the blueprint of Metallica the last 17-20 years. Thus, Death Magnetic sees Metaliica return to their beloved roots, sounding like the obvious successor of And Justice For All, furthermore Rubin's trademark tightly compressed production suits Metallica rather well after 15 years of working with Bob Rock who, while certainly being an excellent producer, certainly drew the band towards a slightly poppier edge and mainstream approach. However, Lars Ulrich's drum sound is rather iffy at times leaving an expression of a coincidental Thursday jam session at HQ in the Bay Area. Here and there it sounds too flat and the double bass pedal work is not as upfront in the landscape as one may have hoped. As is the case with James Hetfield's voice which has lost a bit too much of it's percussive effect, once too often it appears as though he is talking instead of cutting through Death Magnetic. The sound of the guitars are however quite a joy with a soaring definition of how crunch should be mastered. // 7

Lyrics: James Hetfield returns to form with some of his doomy lyrics which make And Justice For All and Master of Puppets spring to mind. Titles such as That Was Just Your Life would never have appeared on the back cover of anything Metallica have done in the past 15+ years. The lyrics definitely take after the grand tradition of metal lyrics while still maintaining the introspective and cathartic approach Hetfield began to focus on with The Black Album. In context with the music, some of Death Magnetic's lyrics work tremendously well, although lines such as ''bow down, sell your soul to me, I will set you free'' is boring and indicates that Hetfield ran out of stuff to write about, even though it works in rhythmic terms following the riff. // 7

Overall Impression: The songs on Death Magnetic vary a great deal, from long-awaited old school thrash to epic progressive tracks with a much needed twist of the return of soli which brings the harmonies and melodies a lot further back into the Metallica song writing process. Death Magnetic definitely marks a return of a Metallica sound fans have been dying to get their ears on for a long, long time. And some if not many reviewers may see this as enough proof of quality. However, after realising that Metallica finally grasped their metal roots one must start to look at the quality of song writing, and here Death Magnetic stalls. There is indeed a very decent amount of great riffs but they are more scattered across the whole album than continously driving one song after another. One song may have a great verse melody, another may have a cool break-down as Cyanide does. However, the flow of the album is not strong enough and first single The Day That Never Comes is a poor attempt at writing a Fade To Black in 2008 and therefore does little to attract attention to itself as the representative of the album. One can't help but wonder if Metalica have been outmatched artistically by the renaissance of metal these days with newcomers Trivium and Bullet For My Valentine growing more and more in popularity while Metallica peers from the Bay Area, Death Angel and Exodus both have released very strong efforts in the last 4-5 years, Anthrax soon releasing their new album, Megadeth repositioning themselves as the force they were in the late 80s and early 90s and Testament with 4/5 of their classic line up quickly gaining admiration and attracting a whole new audience. Meanwhile, Metallica makes a third edition of The Unforgiven and apparently insist that a new album every five years is sufficient enough. No doubt, there are good things on Death Magnetic, better than heard on the last 4-5 releases (incl. covers albums etc.). But it is nowhere near Metallica's best album and while it's certainly difficult to live up to a legacy made up of Ride The Lightning and Master of Puppets, it doesn't really change that fact. The songwriting is much too weak and the hooks too few, but if Metallica fans will just focus on the fact that their heroes have at last embraced their roots they will be satisfied. To my ears, it's a disappoint, not throwing Metallica further into the metal abyss, but keeping them on the very rugged edge, indeed. // 5

Death Magnetic Reviewed by: Shredder666, on september 15, 2008

Sound: As a die-hard Metallica fan, I'm a little disappointed on how mediocre the production of this album is. Lars plays a little too much, for one thing. What I mean by that is in slower, progressive parts of the album, he adds extra snare and crash hits that almost crush the mood. Another thing is that the snare has a twangy reverberance and the drums overall are too loud (except the bass drum). Rob's bass is scarcely heard throughout the album, and this is also disappointing because it was made clear by the band that Rob had a profound influence on the making of this record. Those bad things in regards to the sound of this album don't matter! The guitar tones of the James/Kirk duo are like the tones from "... And Justice For All," except with less gain and more mid, to add a more fuller, mature tone for the band. I think it's also worth mentioning that the riffs on this album are spectacular. The material on this record beats anything in the last twenty years (yes, that includes the black album). I am not a Load / ReLoad hater by any means by the way, I just think the band wasn't at their creative / innovative peak during those albums. Some of Kirk's solos are great. Some of them are mediocre. The main point is that there are solos, and for the most part, they dominate! I have to say though, a little too much usage of the Wah-Wah pedal by Hammett. // 8

Lyrics: Death Magnetic succeeds in delivering memorable, clever lyrics similar to those that we all know and love from the '80s. Lines such as "Judas lives, recite this vow: I've become your new God now" foreshadow memorable future concerts. These lyrics were certainly well thought-out. For example, take the pun "the son shine never comes." It makes the listener think, not just bang their head. That's why this album is such a mature effort. As for James' singing, what can I say? He's doing the best damn job that he can. Any monkey can tell that James is singing his heart out on this album. He hits an impressively high note on "The Unforgiven III" which sends goosebumps down my spine every time I hear it. In contrast to the '80s where James would growl parts that were supposed to be sung (like in the verses of "One"), this album is very well-proportioned within James' limits. I congratulate him on letting it rip in some parts of the album. "My apocalypse" sounds halfway like his ... And Justice For All voice. // 10

Overall Impression: As soon as I opened this album, I was very impressed with the casing/booklet. It's something that I've never seen before. Every picture in the booklet has some sort of relevance to the album. For those who would like to know, this album can not be compared to previous albums. Metallica is a new band. They've changed. Sure, a lot of their stuff is reminiscent of the old days, but there is a new modern sound present, and it's awesome! This is purely a thrash metal album with lots of riffage, craziness, and attitude. For those who expected another Master of Puppets, you might be deceived, however in time, this album will be considered a classic. Metal up your ass! // 9

Death Magnetic Reviewed by: metal32, on september 12, 2008

Sound: As most of us know, Metallica emerged in the early 80's and were the frontrunners of speed/thrash metal up until the rest of the world caught up in the 1990's. Over the years the band's sound, writing, and management has changed, but one thing still remains the same: Metallica have proven themselves time and time again as the reigning kings of heavy metal. With their 2008 release, "Death Magnetic," Metallica once again have shown to their ever changing fan base that even though they are nearing age 50 (Kirk being the oldest, turning 46 later this year), they can still rock out as fast and as hard as ever. It's been five long years since Metallica have had a studio release, with DM following up 2003's "St. Anger." Even though St. Anger alienated many of their longtime fans with it's detuned guitars and lack of solos (and in my opinion, songwriting), they came back as good as ever with a new producer (kicking out longtime veteran Bob Rock and replacing him with another: Rick Rubin [Slayer, Red Hot Chili Peppers, and even Tom Petty]). This time around, the riffs are back to the style of the 80s: long and drawn out intros that set up the songs well, fast paced and half-time verses and choruses, and thank God after almost a decade solos are back! Hammett's solos fit the songs, don't seem forced, and work as natural flowing parts of the songs. Lars's drumming doesn't sound like he's beating on a set of trash cans (a la St. Anger), and a few of the songs incorporate some double kicks, which many will be very glad to hear. The bass work by Rob Trujillo is more evident than it was on St. Anger, and even though Metallica hasn't been a band defined by it's bass playing since the death of Cliff Burton (RIP), it's also evident that Trujillo is a much better fit than Newstead, and even the band has said that his contributions to the song writing has changed the way the band sounds. Overall the sound is good. The listener can hear elements of Ride the Lightning, Master of Puppets, And Justice For All, Black Album and even Load and Reload. Pretty nice change up from 2003. // 8

Lyrics: My overall thoughts about the lyrics were that they were pretty good, and fit the songs well. Some songs still contain some passages that could have been structured better or even re-written, but for the most part they were good. I think James's voice is still good, and now that they are back in a stnadard tuning, it sounds like it fits the music well. Can't really comment much here because I haven't read ALL of the lyrics yet, but from what I have gotten through so far it's a nice change from the confusing lyrics of St. Anger and Reload. They are more to the point, and the stories being told are much easier to follow. They really paint a clearer picture of what the songs are about, and I could actually see myself in some of them acting out the stories (Unforgiven III being a good example). // 7

Overall Impression: Death Magnetic has proven to a once skeptical Metallica fan that these guys can produce when called upon and I'm gonna step out on a limb and say that St. Anger was a very bad fluke. As for the songs, I thought "That Was Just Your Life" was a great intro, and "The Judas Kiss" was a good change of pace after (sigh, yes... ) "The Unforgiven III." While some may scoff at the idea of a third installment in the "Unforgiven" saga, "The Unforgiven III" was truly a good song and a well deserved follow up to the original and part two, and in my mind making it one of the better songs on the album. While it's a complete contrast and relies more heavily on thier 80's roots to speed metal, "All Nightmare Long" is a good middle track for the album, as well as the song right after it: "Cyanide" which conjures up memories of the palm muted chugging heard on Kill 'em All tracks like "Seek and Destroy." The almost 10 minute instrumental "Suicide & Redemption" will remind many of the instrumentals found on MoP and AJ4A, while it is a little more modernized and groovy. All in all, I love the tracks when played in succession, and didn't have too many negative things to say about the album in it's entirety. My only qualm was that there are still a few parts that many, like myself, will kind of say "WTF?" A few of the lyrical lines and a few (very few) of the musical passages of the album may provoke this thought. Overall, I love this album, love the effort, and am now a reborn Metallica fan thanks to it. Many will still say that new Metallica sucks, and many will still think this album is too mainstream and that they have once again 'sold out.' To those people I would like to quote Lars Ulrich, our favorite pint sized arrogant drummer, from a couple of years back: "People have told us that they think we have sold out... and I agree with them. I tell them that we sell out every night we play." I think it's a great attachment to thier legacy, and would now be more than happy to buy a ticket to see them live again. If lost or stolen I would definately pick up another copy because this album will be one of the better ones of 2008. Thank you Metallica for redeeming yourselves! // 9

Death Magnetic Reviewed by: bucketned, on september 18, 2008

Sound: Alright so I was chilling in the closest CD store to my house, which 20 miles away because the internet ruined my life, and I was walking down the metal aisle looking some King Diamond CDs. that's when my crusty, baggy eyes shifted to catch a glimpse of an atrocious looking CD by an artist known as Metallica. "What lame name for band" I thought to myself, but I decided I would give them a chance, you know, just in case they started in the 80s where you were allowed to have a god awful name and still get chicks. (I'm looking your way Kick Axe). Upon placing the disc into my walkman on my 20 mile march back home, my ears began bleeding. This record was too metal! I couldn't handle it, they brought the thrash like johnny brought the cash. I was short of breath within the first few seconds of the first track. "Who the hell is this band?!" I yelled. As soon as I got home I ran to my computer to write this review to make sure the world knew who this underground band was. They needed a label and fast! // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics were pretty scarring to my liver, yet the vocals laid over the music so smoothly like a steak laying over a charcoal grill on a cool afternoon. I'm really glad they got mustaine back to sing on this record his voice is sounding better than ever and the imagery in every song is like watching the mortal kombat movie for the first time, pure ecstasy. I also really enjoyed the King Diamond like vocals on track 7 before the solo. They rocked, and at one point, maybe 3/4 through, they also achieved rolling along with rocking. Ecxellent job. Oh and Lars Ulrich did a great job singing on track 3. // 8

Overall Impression: I would have to say, as this is Metallica's third release, they are definately only getting better from here. After countless line up changes and the tragic loss of Mike Patton from hemroids, I would have to say this band has pulled through amazingly. Maybe one day they will even be out there supporting tours for U2 and Gwar. The most impressive song on the album is definately Cyanide. I still don't understand how they can play that riff THAT many times throughout the song! The endurance of these teenagers is extravagant!! I absolutely love a lot of the guitar work on this album, especially the solos that are all like weedooweedoodoodillydallwaaaarrrrhhghhh wewewewewewewedooooooooo, and the heavy riffs backing them up. The only thing I disliked was how much they sounded like Black Tide. Metallica really needs to work on finding their own sound before those warriors of time catch them with a lawsuit of some sort. If this album were stolen I probably would not go buy another copy. Instead I would get on my harley and find my trusty pick axe, find the guy who did steal the CD and record myself breaking his skull open and and eating his own brains. That way I would have my CD back and a CD that's almost half as brutal as Death Magnetic. Thanks for keeping it Metallica, stay heavy and Up the Irons!. // 8

Death Magnetic Reviewed by: pootoob, on september 19, 2008

Sound: It's 2008, and finally we have a new Metallica album. As I was listening to Death Magnetic and scrolled down this page, reading all the reviews, one major thing struck me: Everyone seemed to love this album. The sound of the album isn't bad. It's just not good. Metallica carry on their proud tradition of burying the bass, and this time it seems like Lars himself was in charge of the mix, pushing the drums up to the loudest level. Hetfield's voice is different to how it sounds on any album (except maybe St Anger), and I think it suits the music. Upon buying the album, I was really excited for one thing: Kirk was once again being unleashed over Hetfield's monster rhythms. However, I was thoroughly disappointed. The monster rhythms were there in spades. But Hammet's leads were sloppy, or sounded recycled. The solo from 'The Day That Never Comes' sounded like it was pulled straight from their "Mercyful Fate" cover tilogy. Since Trujillo was buried deep in the mix, and at times didn't stand out enough from the guitars, I have to say the only person I found to be truly playing to their full potential on this album was Hetfield. He can still bust out the thrash riffage, which he does on most tracks ( a couple of songs don't sound thrashy, so much as heavy metal, occasionally hard hard rock). // 5

Lyrics: Where to begin with lyrics? Hetfield's lyrics slowly increased in skill and general awesomeness, until "... And Justice for All". After this point, however, his lyrics have generally been on a downward spiral, ending in St Anger, with such lines as "I'm madly in anger with you" and "my lifestyle determines my deathstyle" x 10. The lyrics on DM are all over the place, with duds like "what don't kill ya make ya more strong" and "Into the grips, total eclipse, suffer unto my apocalypse". But then the lyrics for "the Unforgiven III" and "That Was Just Your Life" make up for it. Hetfield's voice is in great form on this album. He sounds full of venom, and the equally remorseful when the occasion requires. Top vocal performances: 'All Nightmare Long' and 'the Unforgiven III'. // 6

Overall Impression: This is far from being their best album. It beats out Load and ReLoad, and bests Saint Anger (mainly because there is solos, and Hetfield actually sings in key). Best 3 songs: All Nightmare Long - starting off with a nice groove, one of the only times Trujillo is actually clearly heard. The fast thrash riff that cuts in reminds me of Megadeth. Then, after 2 minutes of thrash glory, Hetfield cuts in, spitting out lines about nightmares and hunting people down. Brilliant. 9/10 My Apocalypse - every self respecting Metallica fan downloaded this weeks ago. Top quality song, minus a few patchy lyrics. 8/10 That Was Just Your Life - this song really effectively shows off Hetfield's amazing riffs, and allows for one of Kirk's better solos of the album (even though it's still mediocre). 9/10 Worst 3 songs: Cyanide - this song is just irritating. Especially the riff that kicks in at 3 minutes. I hope this song gets shelved from their live sets. This song could and should've been cut for the sake of the album. it adds nothing and only serves to buffer out their cd. The Day That Never Comes - blatant rip off of One, but only it's bad.This song sounds like 4 songs roughly spliced together, and it only gets good around the 5 minute mark. Suicide and Redemption - I have never really been a fan of 'Tallica instrumentals, except 'To Live is To Die'. This song should have been 7 minutes, maybe 8. There is a good 2 minutes that should have been taken out. Metallica, it seems, have developed this idea where the longer the album is, the better. Or something. that's the onbly logical explanation I can think of for their last 2 albums being 70 minutes +, when a good 2 or 3 songs from each could've been cut. Bands, in general, seem to have this thing where they want to put everything they record onto albums these days that result in double albums that flop, or 70 minute long albums, that are tiring and dull. Where have the days of a 40-50 minute CD of full quality material gone? // 6

Death Magnetic Reviewed by: unregistered, on september 12, 2008

Sound: Death Magnetic! Will it have Death Metal vocals? Will it sound like Megadeth? Will I finally hear Bay Area Thrash from New-Metallica? Metallica described this album, Death Magnetic, as a cross between "... And Justice for All" and their self-titled "Metallica". I say, every bit of that is true from the solos to the rhythm and feel. This album's sound will please both the fans of "... And Justice for All" and their self-titled album to a point. Death Magnetic shoots with both barrels to ensure that they get the best of both worlds. Only problem is that I'm tied between this album since I dislike Metallica's mainstream metal that they have produced these recent years, yet this album deserves a fair review. There is nothing wrong with this albums' sound. A few of the rhythm and lead sections pack a punch against all who said that Metallica would never be able to write new good riffs anymore or that Kirk Hammett would never be able to produce a solo without a wah pedal or a blues influence in it. The drums fit in nice with the riffs by going in and out of unexpected hits and jabs at your ears and is sure to please anyone with subwoofers to pick up the bass. Since I had never heard much of the bass guitar from "... And Justice for All" or the album after it, it was nice to finally hear that it wasn't just an under-tone and actually stood out. Songs that I found to be good in the way I liked Metallica were, "That Was Just Your Life", "My Apocalypse", and the instrumental: "Suicide And Redemption". The song: "Broken Beat And Scarred" is good up to a point but starts to fall into St. Anger territory with it's "groove". The other songs on the album should please the frat party goers of this year. "The End of the Line" - it's sound is close to "..And Justice for All" in some parts and sounds like it could be Metallica's "I Disappear". This song should be in a mediocre summer movie that the public sees and an hour, forgets. "The Day That Never Comes" - this song goes everywhere with what it's doing, it's organization is campy to say the least. The lead parts should please the guitarists who enjoyed "... And Justice for All" but as for being catchy with riffs, it lacks highly in that department. "All Nightmare Long" - is one of the songs that I hated off the album. The rhythms in the middle of the song are good, the first solo is too messy, but the second solo is classic Metallica. "Cyanide" - this sounds like Metallica dug into the bucket of filler songs. The solo sounds like one of the thousands of guitarists on youtube wrote it. The contents of this song does not live up to it's title. "The Judas Kiss" - sounds like Metallica is just plagarizing their own material. Nothing special on this track as far as riffs. Kirk Hammett copies his same messy fingering for the fast part of the solo and adds in a slower part with wah... just like every other solo. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics are just like any song off of St. Anger. I never see a change in lyrics and far as what they are speaking out about, or should I say, singing out about. James' voice ofcourse has adapted from when he was a crazy, beer drinking young dude. The vocals are not harsh as all. Basically it's St. Anger all over again. It's like when Dave Mustaine sand " Tout le Monde" it just didn't sound like himself. // 8

Overall Impression: This is going to be a Metallica fan's best shot at hearing a new Metallica album sound remotely like they did before their self-titled album. This album will most likely not fulfill the hopes of Metallica fans wanting another riff driven Kill 'em All or a guitar players wet dream like Master of Puppets. This album did everything that the band said it would, the album they should have made between "... And Justice for All" and "The Black Album". But, in my opinion, if they had released this album between 1989 and 1991, they would never had grown in popularity and become such a mainstream band. As much as I hate to say it, "The Black Album" has better riffs than this album. While it follows the rules with it's genre of thrash, it lack originality and focuses only on it's speed, which in this time of music, creativity stands higher than recycled material. // 7

Death Magnetic Reviewed by: Cyanide86, on september 15, 2008

Sound: Death Magnetic. First album after almost 18 years, that one can say, real heavy/trash metal, and this time without producer Bob Rock, who was replaced by Rick Rubin. This is the best album from MetallicA since legendary Black.Sound is like, combination between ''... And Justice for All'' and ''Black'' in the modern way, which is (of course) great.The solos are very good, sometimes great, Lars' drumsound is fantastic, James sounds also very good. On this new album, they have 5 incredibly good songs like ''The Unforgiven III'' (not as good as original ''Unforgiven'', but still great song), ''My Apocalypse'', ''The Day That Never Comes'' (reminds of ''One''), ''All Nightmare Long'' & ''That Was Just Your Life''. The Rest is like combination between very good parts, unnecessary parts, and sometimes not so good parts.Like ''Suicide & Redemption'' great melody in the middle, but most riffs are totally unnecessary long, it's like they trying to make something like (brilliant) Orion so it has to be as long as possible.Or ''Broken, Beat & Scarred'' melodic part (rise, fall, down, rise again) is great but chorus is not good (at least to me). 01. That Was Just Your Life 9.5/10 02. The End of the Line 8/10 03. Broken, Beat & Scarred 7/10 04. The Day That Never Comes 9.5/10 05. All Nightmare Long 9/10 06. Cyanide 8/10 07. The Unforgiven III 10/10 08. The Judas Kiss 8/10 09. Suicide & Redemption 8.5/10 10. My Apocalypse 10/10 James Hetfield said that Robert Trujillo has contributed on this album more than Jason had in 15 years, so maybe because of that some riffs sounds sometimes unusual. // 8

Lyrics: Lyrics (all by James Hetfield) are very good. Point of Death Magnetic is the fact that we all have to die sooner or later, it's unfortunately inevitable so as James said 'some people are drawn towards it, and just like a magnet, other people are afraid of it push away and they don't want to bring it up'. // 8

Overall Impression: Death Magnetic is very good album, with a few brilliant songs (like ''The Unforgiven III'', ''My Apocalypse'', ''The Day That Never Comes'', ''All Nightmare Long'' & ''That Was Just Your Life''), great solos, and classic MetallicA trash sound in modern way.Definitely one of the best Metallica albums. // 8

Death Magnetic Reviewed by: Satchafunkilus, on september 22, 2008

Sound: First-off being that this is Metallica it has everything you expect; cazy guitar riffs and solos, thumping bass lines, and heavy drums, not to mention pretty good lyrics. All though this is a new CD from Metallica, this ranks up there with their best cds (Black Album, ... And Justice For All, etc). This is by no means another St. Anger, this is a new fresh CD with fresh songs with the same good old Metallica feel. Being that the band members are getting up in years they still have'nt lost their edge in my opinion, this CD is everything hoped for. I am not sure if a story ties to this cd, but as for styles not much to say except Kirk Hammett does not use his wah peddle nearly as much, and Lars uses his double bass peddle quite a bit more.This CD has ten songs, and I bet that you will like at least eight of them, the songs are amazing, the sound is fantastic, as all the band members are in sync, their music just flows from them and sounds amazing. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are a bit odd this time around. They are still pretty mezmerizing and catchy, but you can hear where age is effecting James. Like most people I am surprised to hear that he can hit pretty high notes. The music and lyrics practiclly go hand in hand, good example The Unforgiven III, James sings in a mellow sad kind of style and it's as if the band is right there with him, feeling what he is feeling. For James's age I have to say he can still sing with the best of them. Some of the best singing I have heard in awhile. // 9

Overall Impression: I beleive this CD highly compares, the main reason most bands from Metallicas period have fizzled out and given up but not Metallica. They show that they are not afraid to change with the times, they know what people want and they give it them. This CD is just as good if not better than their previous releases. The most best songs on this CD would have to be The Day That Never Comes, The Unforgiven III, All Nightmare Long, and Cyanide. All of the songs are good, but these songs really shine. I love this CD because it's as if James, Kirk, Lars, and Robert poured the essence of that which is Metallica and just made it a perfect album. There is not much to hate about this CD but there is one thing, at times the sound is a little off, the production of the CD could have been better. I would buy this CD if anything happened to my copy. All in all this is a great cd, if you like Metallica get it, you will not regret it. // 9

Death Magnetic Reviewed by: dooshbag4life, on january 08, 2009

Sound: So Metallica are back with their long awaited follow up to 2003's St. Anger, which was met with mostly negative reviews. However Death Magnetic is an hour and 15 mins of brilliance. An album that will surely show most of the doubters that Metallica are back to doing what they best. 01.That Was Just For Your Life: the song starts with the sound of a heartbeat and then gradually just gets faster and faster. When it kicks into the main riff of the song, you can tell straight away that this is going to be an amazing album. The classic Kirk Hammet solo's also make a welcome return and just as expected he doesn't disapoint with quite simply, a shred-tastic solo. The perfect start to the album. 5/5 02.The End Of The Line: awesome song. You'll recognize the intro from 'The New Song' which the band have played live (see youtube). Yet another catchy, heavy riff to get any metalhead banging his head till his neck hurts. The bridge then follows a dual solo and then a killer solo from Hammet and then is slowes down, with clean vocals and guitars, but just like the bridge in "Master Of Puppets" it slowly picks up back into the good old heavy stuff. 4/5 03.Broken, Beat And Scarred: when I first heard this song, I flipped out. Amazing song, all though the verse lyrics and be seen as repetitive but at the same time catchy. The chorus in my opinion is the strongest part of the song, with some awesome drum work from Lars. I predict that this song will get a very mixed review from fans but I see the majority loving this song. 4/5 04.The Day That Never Comes: one of the best songs of the album. Has been compared to "One" and to be honest as good as it is, it can't beat it. However it does come very close. very well written and structured song. Clean verse, heavy chorus and after the second time round, it remains heavy untill the end. The solo is Kirk's best on the album in my opinion, and Hetfield's vocals are very strong through out. Once the vocals are over, just sit back and enjoy musical brilliance in the rest of the song 5/5 05.All Nightmare Long: the title suggests a very typical Metallica song. And it is what you would expect and more. A sick arse intro, very climatic verse, an extremelly catchy chorus and a amazing lengthly solo from Mr Hammet. Also Hetfields vocal style, especially in the Chorus, is a treat to listen to. However I have found that this song does get tedious after many listens but that's just me. However I'm sure after a while of not listening to it, I will soon be hooked again. 4.5/5 06.Cyanide: the first word to enter my head when I first heard this song was "WOW!". As this was the first song of the album I heard, I was pumped to hear more of what Metallica offered in their new material. The song just doesn't slow down, Awesome bass intro and just it just gets better and better. The solo is also another piece of genius. The perfect song to be the first release from the album. 5/5 07.The Unforgiven III: probably the song that most fans wanted to hear as it was the final in the Unforgiven trilogy. Metallica did not disapoint on this one. Hetfield's vocals are at their best on this song especially just before the solo. Similar to "The Unforgiven" where as it has a rather heavy verse and slower chorus. The use of an orchestra in the background also works very well. The piano intro didn't fill me with much hope but by the end of the song, I was very happy with what I had heard. 5/5 08.The Judas Kiss: one of the best songs of the album, very thrashy, very fast, very Metallica. The chorus is my favourite part simply for the guitar riff, so catchy to listen to I had to pick up my guitar and learn it. Kirk's solo goes on for over a minute and it's flawless. Very well written lyrically aswell. The boys did a very good job on this one. 5/5 09.Suicide And Redemption (Instrumental): the return of the instrumental!! Very fun to play on guitar and very heavy to listen to. Guitar work from both James and Kirk are brilliant and it's almost ten minutes long but it'll keep you listening right through to the end. 4/5 10.My Apocalypse: to be honest when I first heard this song, I wasn't sure what to think. After a few more listens it really has grown on me and it's a good song to close the album on. I think it's quite similar to "Battery" only with out the acoustic intro. The chorus is the strongest point on this song for me but overall it hasn't stood out for me in particular, I can still listen to it though and bang my head proudly. 3.5/5 // 10

Lyrics: Well on St. Anger the lyrics were not a strong point, which was strange cos metallica have been known for writing very powerful and very good lyrics. But they're back on form here, maybe because Hetfield is the main lyricist again instead of everyone contributing and you can tell that he has worked very hard and put a lot more effort into the lyrics this time around. As for the singing, well I'm sure most will agree that upto "The Black Album" is when James's vocals were at the best. the vocals were, as much as I hate to admit, sometimes quite ugly in places on St. Anger. Not the case this time round as in songs such as "Unforgiven III" you can tell what a great vocalist he is and always has been. Once again it's clear to see that he has worked his heart and soul into getting the best voice for this album. // 9

Overall Impression: I wont go as far as saying that it is better than MOP (which is my favourite Metallica album) but Death Magnetic is definately up there with the best of them. My favourite songs from the album are mainly "The Day That Never Comes", "Cyanide" And "The Judas Kiss" but take nothing away from the other 7 tracks as they are all fantastic. The thing I love about this album is that not only are goin back to their old school style, it's that after 20 odd years, Metallica have shown the doubters that they still are the metal kings. People have criticized the production quality of this album, personally I have only one problem with it and that is the bass should be more noticeable. But as for the loudness, I love loud so I'm happy with it. If this was stolen I would happily go and buy another copy. This is review is obviously mostly opinion based and it is my first review on here so please be gentle with the feedback. // 10

Death Magnetic Reviewed by: unregistered, on september 24, 2012

Sound: **The CD player is broken in my car, and as a result this CD has been stuck in it almost since it was released. As a result, I've had PLENTY of time to analyze it; perhaps too much time.** Anyone familiar with the Metallica sound should be familiar with basic Metallica formula. James saying "yeah" or "ah" every so often; Kirk noodling with some pentitonic genius I wish I could mimic; Robert walking with the bass (no doubt doing the crab walk as well); Lars going ape-sh-t on the snare (at least it's tuned, unlike "St. Anger"). This is a formula that works well for Metallica. Though this album doesn't define a genre like "Master Of Puppets", it much better put together than something like "St. Anger". // 8

Lyrics: I liked it when James Hetfield said in an interview a few years ago "Metallica is looking for a singer. I'm just filling in until we find him." Really James? You've been filling in for 20-something years- I think it's time you take the job. Hetfield has penned some pretty potent lyrics over the years. In "Death Magnetic", he hits the nail on the head several times, but I have to confess the instrumental is my favorite track, lyrically speaking; not because the other tracks a weak, but they write the words with thier instruments. With all the Justin Beibers and what not in the world, there are not enough skilled musicians these days. // 10

Overall Impression: Like I stated earlier, I've listened to this album in my car more that any sane person would. In a nutshell I'll put it this way: say you could only listen to one to listen to one album over and over again for the rest of time (which is basically what I will be doing). In all the albums on all the world, I could have definitely don't A LOT worse. Thanks for not driving me insane on my commute Metallica! // 8

Death Magnetic Reviewed by: Hammerzeit, on september 15, 2008

Sound: Metallica is back. I've had all 10 tracks from this album on my pc for a good week now (I know a friend who got a CD from the leak) and all I can say about it is those three words. Metallica as we knew them have returned. Three years since the band returned to HQ following the huge disappointment of St Anger, Metallica have finally released something that at least can expect to stand out of the shadow that they've been under for 17 years. The thrash is back, but it doesn't once sound dated. The solos are back. Okay they're not all as good as 'Creeping Death' or 'Battery' but they're the sort of solos you should hear on a metallica album and are clearly Kirk Hammett's solos. No Intervention this time. Metallica have taken their old sound into the 21st century at last and in doing so have captured elements of almost all their pre St Anger albums. Here's a track by track. Opener 'That Was Just Your Life' recalls thrashers such as 'Blackened' with a clean built up intro followed by an all our rifforama of a song that just doesn't let up. There is a solo (short but neat and fits the song like a glove) and there is a mammoth chorus (a theme of the album, metallica seemed to have perfected the art of the chorus) and Hetfield vocally shines. This is followed by the Guitar and distorted bass harmony intro of End of the Line which even on first of numerous listens recalls "for whom the bell tolls". The song opens up into another thrash monster, with another great chorus. it's related to old Metallica, but is not dated at all. This song was played live back in '06 under the name 'Death is not the End' but has been altered hugely since then. The Improvement since then is remarkable. Track three is the more Mediocre 'Broken Beat and Scarred' which has a groove that recalls Reload work or maybe even St Anger in places. Has a nice solo and some good vocal work by James but it isn't one of the stronger songs on the album. Track four 'The Day That Never Comes' is as tradition would suggest, an epic. Starts clean (Think 'Nothing Else Matters' mixed with 'One') and turns into one of the heaviest thrash sections that Metallica has ever penned. The Guitar work is awesome and the solo is great too. I heard this live first at Reading Festival and it came across really well. Track five 'All Nightmare Long' is a belting tune. It has all the classic hallmarks of a great metallica song. Machine gun riffery, a long intro (the vocals take 2 mins to come in), a typical kirk solo and new for 2008 a huge chorus. This song really shines and is one of the best of a pretty good bunch. Track six 'Cyanide' which has been in circulation a long time is a grooving track reminiscent of "Sad But True" and "Leper Messiah". There are some sections where it lags but the riffing is incredible in places and there's a nice solo section too. Hetfield vocally shines on this track and it comes across live a lot better than on record. Track seven The Unforgiven III is in my opinion the weakest track on the album. It just doesn't do anything for me at all. Lyrically it's fine but musically I'm not convinced. The Piano intro seemed unnecessary to me. I anticipated a lot more from this than what I ended up getting Track eight The Judas Kiss is another absolute belter and anyone who's seen the "fly on the wall's" from mission metallica will recognise the riff and chorus instantly. This song is what Metallica in 2008 is all about. Pounding riffery, a huge chorus, a huge 2 minute plus solo section courtesy of Mr Hammett and a truckload of attitude. One of the standouts. Track nine 'Suicide and Redemption' is the penutimate track which follows the tradition of "... And Justice For All" and "Master of Puppets" in being instrumental. there's riffs a plenty, the first truly decent bass work from Robert Trujillo, an beautiful and moving orion-style guitar section from kirk hammett and it clocks in at 9 mins 58. The longest Metallica track! The closer My Apocalypse is well worth the 70 min wait up to this point. it's the shortest track by far but is also the heaviest. The song is reminiscent to Testament or Slayer but you can tell that it's a metallica song. There's fast spat vocals, a sweet but different solo and so many chugging riffs that they're uncountable. A great end to the album and a standout track. However a few things let this album down. The mix is terrible yet once more. The bass is nearly inaudible most of the time and when you can hear it, lets just say I expected a bit more than following the guitar (and in some cases not even that) from a bassist of Robert Trujillo's calibre. He may have contributed to every song but this it's sounds even more like no one will ever fill the void of Cliff Burton. The Drums are still too high in the mix and the snare sound, although better than St Angers dustbin lid is still bad. On top of this Hammett's solos only ever threaten to take off on a couple of occasions. However Hetfields rhythm work is flawless yet once more. There are a couple of tracks that let the album down though and my feeling is if they (tracks 3 and 7)were to be removed and the remaining 8 tracks left would be hailed a something near a masterpiece. On The Whole though, this album is a darn sight more impressive than I ever thought it would be. Metallica are back. // 9

Lyrics: Lyrically, Hetfield has recovered completly from the massive blip that was St Anger. He stands out again and his lyrics remain a crucial part of the band's sound and cause them to stand out. The lyrical concept behind 'Death Magnetic' is the dangers of being in metallica's business and all the dangers and problems that rockstars tend to suffer. Addiction is a big theme here and the lyrical theme behind all of the songs is basically the same. However this brings the album together and makes it seem more complete. Lyrical high points include 'That Was Just Your Life', 'The Judas Kiss' and 'Cyanide'. In Terms of vocal Talent, Hetfield's Still got it. The angry thrash vocals of the Justice Era are still there, and it's only in more extreme melodic moments that his voice seems weaker. Since these are few and far between then this is not a problem. However from St Anger this is a step of Goliath's proportions in the right direction. His best vocal performance since justice without a doubt. // 9

Overall Impression: Musically, Death Magnetic lies somewhere between '... And Justice For All' and 'Metallica (The Black Album). The elements of thrash are recalled but are held together by huge choruses and some more mellow moments. Death Magnetic is comfortably better than anything metallica has done in the past 16 years, leaving Load, Reload and St Anger in it's dust. In modern terms, it can compete with any of the best metal releases of the past 5 or so years. There isn't enough to merit it as a classic but it stands alone as a very good album. Among the high points on the album are the return of guitar solos, Massive singable choruses, the return of thrash metal and a return to vocal form for James Hetfield. Low points for me include the poor mix, weak bass guitar work, lar's snare still and a couple of weak tracks that need not have been included. This album however is more good than bad. Were it Stolen, I'd re buy it, but only when I realised how much I missed it. Metallica fans have had to wait a long while for anything that slots nicely next to the 5 classic albums in their playlists. That void is now filled, and fans and band alike can allow themselves a wry smile, knowing a corner has been turned. Standout tracks: That Was Just Your Life, The Day That Never Comes, All Nightmare Long, The Judas Kiss, My Apocalypse // 9

Death Magnetic Reviewed by: Maniacal_Mikey, on september 15, 2008

Sound: Well, it really doesn't get more raw than Death Magnetic. Metallica has always been a band that is great to listen to; they've always had loud, powerful, in-your-face kind of sound and Death Magnetic proves this with every riff and lyric. The overall feel that I got from listening to the album was that I was standing in the studio with Metallica, standing right in the middle of all the action as it was happening. Every song was tight, focused, and above all, a great listen. // 9

Lyrics: James really improved over St. Anger with his lyrics; they don't sound forced like some of them do in St. Anger. The lyrics definitely feel like they're from a younger Metallica, even if the sound of them isn't. I guess what I mean to say is the lyrics don't make sense at times, but Metallica has never been one for the lyrics to be the most of the song. For example: In the "Master of Puppets" song after the solo, he sings: "Hell is worth all that/ Natural habitat/ Just a rhyme without a reason" Metallica's never been one for the lyrics, and to most of their fans this isn't a problem. It less about what he says and more about he says it. I know James will never be able to sing or scream like he could back in the Kill 'Em All and Ride the Lightning days, and that's just fine. But to be as old as he is and to have been singing metal for as long as he has, he's doing great. His singing really fits the album, with the old/new Metallica mix. // 9

Overall Impression: 01. That Was Just Your Life - what a great way to start the album. From the moment this song started, I knew I was in for an ass-kicking. It started like any other older Metallica album, soft and slow, then going right into the good stuff. It puts one in mind of songs like "Battery" and "Enter Sandman". 02. The End of the Line - "Need more and more". The first lyric of the song and a truer line couldn't be said. This song sounds like it would be from Justice for sure, and it is one of my favorites off the whole album. 03. Broken, Beat & Scarred - "You rise/ you fall/ what don't kill ya make ya more strong". A lyric from the song and possibly a small history of Metallica? A great song, and the whole band sings in the chorus with the line "Show Your Scars!" 04. The Day that Never Comes - Metallica's first studio single, one that probably everyone's heard. It recieved mixed reactions when it was first released, and for good reason. (A Metallica song that started soft? and What is this? It's crap!) Many expected Metallica to release a kick-ass song, but that has never been their style. A Metallica song that really throws back to the good ol' days and one of the best one the album. Its composition is very reminiscent of songs like "One" and "Welcome Home (Sanitarium)". 05. All Nightmare Long - my personal favorite. The beginning of the song, soft and slow, with a little bit of devilish tone was something I couldn't help listening to again and again. The chorus: "Hunt you down without mercy/ Hunt you down All Nightmare Long!" has been stuck in my head since I first heard the song, and I have no intention of getting it out of my brain anytime soon. 06. Cyanide - the first very single Metallica released, and a live version at that. It's another great song, but for some reason, one that kinda gets old after a couple of listens, even though it is catchy. Sorry, to the fans of the song: but to me, it just sounds like a filler song. 07. The Unforgiven III - well... This is one song that I was kinda disappointed in. To be in "The Unforgiven" series, it didn't really fit. It sounds more like "Low Man's Lyric" from ReLoad, but still a good song. While listening to the lyrics I was reminded of their cover of Thin Lizzy's "Whiskey in the Jar". As if this song is the story from a different point of view. Starting out with a piano tune (which is unusal from Metallica. I don't recall ever hearing a piano on any of their songs) and then with a clean guitar lick, this is one song that I forever remember. 08. The Judas Kiss - "Cannot resit/ The Judas Kiss". Very true. A catchy song, and possibly the best James sounds on the whole album. "Bow down/ sell your soul to me/ i will set you free/ pacify your demons". The chorus made the whole song, and Kirk just slays the solo. Yea, this is a song that will forever be one of Metallica's best. 09. Suicide & Redemption - yes! An instrumental! Metallica really goes back to their roots with this one. The first instrumental we've heard since "To Live is to Die" on Justice. 10. My Apocalypse - and what a killer way to end the whole album. A song that puts one in mind of other fast, brutal songs like "Damage Inc." and "The Struggle Within" Also the song that gives the album its name, with the words "Death Magnetic" in the second verse. This is also the song that brings my only complaint to the album. (Sorry, but I had to complain sooner or later) It just sounds like Lars was stuck in the St. Anger groove for the drums on this one, but other than that, ths is a great way to close the album and leave the listener wanting more. Overall, the album is great. Its definitely one of my all-time favorites from Metallica, and it's mainly what I've been listening to for the past few days. It's not another ...And Justice For All, it's not another Master of Puppets, and it's not another Black album, but it's definitely the best that Metallica has released since those days. The album fits with Metallica's stuff as far as feel, but it's also some thing new. I'm don't want to judge Death Magnetic by its predecessors, but I will say its a return to form by Metallica. Welcome back to thrash metal boys, you've been missed for so long. // 9

Death Magnetic Reviewed by: Razza999, on september 15, 2008

Sound: After the wait and the hype it's finaly here. And oh my god is this album special. Now I've listened to every album that metallica have made and they've changed from bieng Thrash metal to the core, to Heavy Metal with lyrical imaginations of war and spiritual cultures, Hard Rockers with southern influences and then back to Bitting you're head of with Angry lyrics and a loud hazy Glockenspiel for a snare. They have repeatedly produced gold after gold after gold. I can tell you for a fact that Metallica when they where doing Load and Re-Load in my eyes where some of their best work ever (which from me who loves Slayer and Evile, is something God himself would frown upon) And yes St Anger was the worst produced album ever for them but I still love that album cause even though there are no solo's, even though there is clangy snare, even though their lyrics don't make sense, it was angry. The best song from St Anger in my eyes was Some Kind of Monster because it fitted with the way they set it up. What I'm trying to get at here is that for me Metallica are an ever changing band and are just human biengs who experience anger, hate, love and loss and these emotions are represented by these emotions. So... what's Death Magnetic? Open tray, put CD in, turn volume up hi, listen. Awesome! as ever they have a great set-up but there are some downsides. Lars's snare drum is abit wet for my liking but I totally forgive him for it because when he hits those double bass drum bits you know he's loving every second of it. Kirk and James's Guitars are Juggernauts in metal linking well with solo's which make you wanna put a tie round you're head and air guitar, Heavy main riffs that make you want to bang you're head (make it sore! ), and fast paced thrash palm muting triplets which sends tingles down my spine. Regretably they are abit buzzy but again totally forgive em for it. And Robert I think is more herd and respected in this album, I can see sum of his influences on the band such as "Cyanide", but yet again the bass is still hard to hear where the guitars lead, this I still forgive them for. // 8

Lyrics: So I've herd it once already all the way through and I've only paid attention to the riffs and the drumming, second time around I'm guna pay more attention the the lyrics. I'm going to be confident in saying that the best ever lyrical albums Metallica have done rank in this order: 1. Metallica (The Black Album) 2. Load 3. Master Of Puppets Now some people will probably send me hate mail but I'm gunna back myself up in saying that many different things colaberate to make an awesome lyrical track and that is words, Topic and the way it's sang. Death Magnetic isn't the best Lyrically because of James's voice going abit but the Enthusiasem, Anger and Soul is still all there and since the album is about Death the topic repeats itself. But gold star for producing some catchy stuff. // 8

Overall Impression: Alot of the hype was said "it's going to be a young carbon copy of Master of Pupets or... And Justice For All". Poppycock! The influences are as blatently obvious but this is a fresh, brand new, born agen Metallica who now the core of the band is around 40 to 50 is Outputting some of their best works since the days of Master of Puppets. If you feel let down because you thought it was going to be another Master of Puppets then you're narrowminded and down respect Metallica enough to give them a chance to express themselves through their music. 3 Best songs on the album: 01. Suicide & Redemption - it makes me want to bang my head when the main riff comes along and is extremely heavy and slow reffereing back to The Black Album and... And Justice For All. But doing ten minutes of Instrumental mastery has made it a classic forevermore I hope they lay this live. 02. Cynide - catchy as hell, Lyrically awesome and the riff's are just tasty. Again slow riffs and shouty Lryics go back to The Black Album etc. But it's modern fresh and so tantilizingly like Metallica to do a song like this. 03. That Was Just Your Life - punchy, shouty, riffery, yeah! This is what St Anger should have sounded like and the influences are there in the latter end of the verses with what sounds like missed strings or palm mutting low notes. Either way throughly enjoying this modern Metallica thrash they're throwing into the fire. So overall a humdinger of an album from the masters of metal & thrash. It just slips into the third place slot for best albums they've done but that's just for now. I need to keep on listening to it and see how long I get bored of it to truely rate this album but the thing with Metallica is that they always produce music that you want to hear over and over again, come back to me and I'll tell you were it's placed in a month or so. // 9

Death Magnetic Reviewed by: bombs551, on september 16, 2008

Sound: The sound in Death Magnetic is significantly different from that of Master of Puppets or ... And Justice For All, obviously. There's something in the new distortion tones that just sounds totally different from Metallica's old albums. Also, at times it seems that there's just too much volume on the vocals, guitars, and snare drum. All vocals, all guitar is what described Metallica for earlier albums such as ... And Justice For All, however, sometimes it would be nice to hear a little more bass; I love driving to a song where the bass makes my car rumble, like RHCP. At times, this album sounds to me like it was recorded live or mixed by an amateur producer. With as much experience that Metallica and Rick Rubin bring to the table, I would think the sound quality would be a bit better. All this being said, I still think that this album musically is great. The riffs are amazingly catchy, and guitar/vocal unison in songs like "The End of the Line" is just amazing. // 8

Lyrics: Funny, after listening to this album several times, I still can't get what the lyrics are about. I do, however, sense an underlying theme of Death. It's good to have a Metallica back that's all about kicking ass and taking names. I've never understood why people like listening to love songs at times; what's the sense in being reminded of your heartbreak even more by songs about how someone's girl left them? When I go through a break up, I just want to kick ass and I want my music to reflect that. Enter Death Magnetic and Master of Puppets. Pure kick ass thrash metal. These lyrics are just as catchy and easily stuck in your head like Master. I find myself singing in Calc class all the time: "Bow down!" "You've reached the end of the line!" It's not even an annoying stuck in your head like that Kissed a Girl crap. You might notice that I haven't addressed Hetfield's abilities as of yet. That is because I completely disagree with anyone who claims that his abilities are now limited and his voice is no where near as good as it once was. In fact, I believe that his voice is the best it's ever been. // 10

Overall Impression: First of all, I'd just like to say that 80's Metallica is gone, period. They are different people, with the addition of a different bassist, and to say that the old Metallica is back is just a pure lie. They are older, more experienced, different men. That being said, this album marks a great stride in a positive direction from St. Anger. People may complain about the similar setup of some songs on this album between every other pre-black album cd, I personally don't mind it; if it ain't broke, don't fix it. The producing might have been better, however, Metallica brings back the killer riffs and finally gives Hammett his job of creating crazed solos back. Overall, Death Magnetic is not as god-like as Master of Puppets, Ride the Lightning, and ... And Justice For All, but it is definitely better than St. Anger, Load, and ReLoad. It might rival Black Album. // 9

Death Magnetic Reviewed by: thedevil, on september 29, 2008

Sound: The first time I heard the songs off of this album I got it from the internet. I admit, I downloaded it.Only to find out later that 3 songs were fakes that I had (first 2 tracks and Unforgiven III). Unfortunately, to be honest I much prefer my fake version of UIII than the real one. Now that that's out of the way, on to the review. Although at points it falters, the overall sound of the music and quality of the music has vastly improved since the last three albums. Not to diss them, I actually don't mind St.Anger, and I enjoy a handful of songs off of both Load and Reload, but like it or not, after the Black album, the Metallica most of us knew and loved died. Not saying that the new metallica songs weren't any good, but they were not the metallica of the 80's. This album does a very good job of bringing Metallica back to it's glory days, both musically and lyrically. Although there are some weaker songs, like Judas Kiss and All Nightmare Long, the vast majority of the album manages to pack more of a punch then damn near anything else out today (I'm looking at you slipknot!) // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics, in my opinion have vastly improved and are on par with the likes of... And Justice... and the Black album. Perhaps peaking at The Day That Never Comes and UIII. Also, with this new album some of the old fashion metal lyrics Metallica was initially known for are back in songs like End Of The Line and Broken, Beaten and Scarred. Definitely a high point of the album. // 9

Overall Impression: Like most Metallica fans and Metallica haters alike (until this album came out, of course), I was pleasantly surprised with Metallica's return to form. And although it is similar to albums like Master Of Puppets, it never feels like a re-hash of there old music, and it is quite impressive how they managed to stay musically relevant and fresh on this album. Note: Upon listening to the CD version (and downloaded versions) I was a little disappointed about the sound and production quality, as apparently everyone else seems to be. Then I got the vinyl version. holly shit! I highly recommend the vinyl version, the sound quality is immensely better! It seems like the album was meant to be Vinyl, and damn near 100% of the production flaws found on the CD version are completely "fixed" on the Vinyl version.And since I payed over a $100 bucks on the vinyl addition, I think if someone stole it I would find them and remove their heart with a rusty spoon and feed it to them. // 9

Death Magnetic Reviewed by: MasterMasterJoe, on october 01, 2008

Sound: A lot has been made about the sound of this album, maining due to the mixing and the engineering. It does at times become load, which in turn gives the impresstion of it all being thrown together, rather than a more thought out process, as shown on the 'Black Album'. But for the best of the ablum, the sound is a huge improvement to the very odd, and extremly disapionting effort shown on 'St Anger'. Gone is the 'steel' soundin drum snare, in are the solo's which were badly missed, in is the OTT instrumentals of old Metallica fame, and also returning is the song structure that made Metallica such an innotive thrash force during the 80's. All be it the ablum does have some more subtle moments such as 'The Day That Never Comes' and 'The Unforgiven III' which complement to ablum's very agressive well, but it all comes to life when they unlesh a fury of punishing riffs such as in 'My Apocalypse' and (personal fav) 'All Nightmare Long' which really give the ablum the feel of a new and purposeful metallica, while still holding on to the musical values that made them what they are in the first place. // 8

Lyrics: James Hetfield to me, has always been a great song writing. Though the lyrics on this arnt as harsh and disturbing as shown on 'Master Of Puppets' and '... And Justice For All', or all be it deep and meaningful as shown on parts of the 'Black Album' and even more so 'Load', the lyrics for 'Death Magnectic' lay somewer in between these two big periods of change the band under went. As the title suggests, the lyrics centre around death, and the different meanings accoiated with the subject. From the idea of repentive mind nearing the end in 'That Was Just Your Life', to the evil notion of men and their weekness to each other as suggested in 'The Judas Kiss', Hetfield still manages to impress with lyrics that are roaring with chours' lines that will have fans and concert goin screeming them out load. // 9

Overall Impression: Overall this ablum, in my opinion, one Metallica's finest works. Yes it isnt there greatest, even if it was the purest would never admit, yes the sound can become very cramped, but this only adds to the uniqueness 'Death Magnetic' holds. I don't think it sould be remastered or remixed, because that's not what Metallica are all about, and would in my opinion ruin it's appeal (think Kill em All to... And Justice For All, great sound quility? Would you really want to change them though?). Even though I love every song on the ablum, the best songs are for me 'Broken, Beaten & Scarred', 'Day That Never Comes', 'All Nightmare Long', and 'My Apocolypse', but listening to the ablum as a whole will give the listener a chance to appricate all the tracks which compliment each other extremely well. If you wanted another 'Ride The Lightning' or 'Master Of Puppets', this isnt it. What it is, is 'Death Magnetic', an excellent Metallica record in it's own right, and defenitly a contender for album of the year! // 9

Death Magnetic Reviewed by: acdclandon, on october 06, 2008

Sound: Well the sound of this album brings back memories of another album,... And Justice For All, for good reasons and bad. The complicated song structures, intricate rhythm/lead guitar playing and drums are back, as well as just the general feel of the album. On the other hand, this brought the bad production. Jason's bass on Justice was muffled, and Rob's is sadly also muffled, although not nearly as bad as with Jason's. Lar's snare sounds god awful, not quite as bad as St. Anger, but it still sticks out like a sore thumb for me. The guitar sound most people love, but to me, it doesn't sound too different than the Load/Reload sound. A lot of people (especially on a guitar site like this) like to complain about how a bunch of thrash bands had horrible guitar tones with no mids. Well Metallica was one of those, until the Black Album really, then they started using some and their sound changed overall. Well to me it just down sound right without scooped mids, not for this kind of sound. Another thing is that this was expected. Rick Rubin (Producer) cuts down many a bands sounds to just the bare minimum, but they might off cut a little too much out on this. On the polar opposite side, some songs have much much more than minimum song length, nothing short of 5 minutes to be exact. They really seem to drag some songs on way too long, it's not that bad though. I'd rather have it be too long than too short. The one thing that can ruin this while listening, is that too me sounds like they're forcing this thrash thing a bit, like it sounds unnatural at times. // 7

Lyrics: The lyrics are a huge plus for this album, James sounds so much more like the old 80's James than the awful 2000's lyric writing up to this point. Speaking almost completely in general of Death, (hence the title) it reminds me a lot of the early albums darker subjects compared to the lighter stuff as of lately. (Load/Reload, not as much as St. Anger) The big exception is the Unforgiven III, which doesn't really have much to do with death. // 9

Overall Impression: I'll go through all the songs and my impression of all of them: 01. That Was Just Your Life: 8/10 A great way to start it off, similar to Fight Fire With Fire, Battery, Blackened, and Enter Sandman. A good song not the best, but it's pretty good. Tends to drag on a bit. 02. The End Of The Line: 6/10 The one song that everyone likes a lot that never got on for me. The beginning you'll recognize as the first new song from a couple years ago. The main riff seems really overdone, like I've heard it before. Decent, but Hetfield's vocals are probably at their low point for me here. 03. Broken, Beaten, Scarred: 9/10 The one that most people don't like, that I do love, reminds of The Shortest Straw from Justice. 04. The Day That Never Comes: 10/10 Possibly the best on the album, similar to One from Justice, and Fade To Black from Ride The Lightning. 05. All Nightmare Long: 9/10 Another great song on here, similar to something like The Thing That Should Not Be from Puppets. Great chorus. 06. Cyanide: 7.5/10 One that I really liked at first, but has gotten old the fastest. 07. The Unforgiven III: 10/10 The most underrated song on here for sure, many people bash it as "unneeded" and overall people think it doesn't belong on here. Some say it reminds them of "Low Man's Lyric" from Reload, which yeah it does a bit, but I like both songs. It may not even be the best of the trilogy of Unforgivens. I just think that a great shot of brilliance appears on this track. I think the overall best moment on the entire album is the scream of forgive me right before the best solo on the album as well. 08. The Judas Kiss: 8.5/10 Similar to Cyanide, but has held it's own better, very much a catchy chorus. 09. Suicide & Redemption: 8/10 A great track, and it's nice to see a instrumental on here. Doesn't really compare to The Call Of Ktulu, Orion, or To Live Is To Die, but that's because those three songs are purely and incredible. The slow melodic part is another best of the album kind of moments. 10. My Apocalypse: 9/10 A great intense way to end the album. Very underrated too, it came out as a single and then was forgotten, I think that this, The Day That Never Comes, The Unforgiven III, Broken, Beaten, Scarred, Suicide and Redemption, The Judas Kiss are the best tracks. They should of really had all of their songs cut down to fit more like this song in length. Overall the album is a nice return, but it does come up short in some areas. // 7

Death Magnetic Reviewed by: MetallicStrat8, on october 08, 2008

Sound: First this is Metallicas best work since black album. Not putting down load and Re-Load but St.Anger. Junk! but at least Lars got rid of those atrocious snare drums. This album was a little distorted the drums were a litle to loud. It always seemed to overpower the guitars in some songs like The Judas Kiss. And having Rick Rubin produce it was quite a change from Bob Rocks efforts. Metallica has said that bob didn't let them get there creativity out as much as Rubin does. With Rubin in the mix, he brought Metallica back to they're E-Standered tuning. Wich is awesome. But Robert Trujilos was not fully heard because of the distortion of the drums. And James is finaly back to his sining petigree that we all know and love. He did unfortuantly loose some powere over the years but he is almost 50. Overall I liked There new sound better than the stuff from '96-'03. // 8

Lyrics: The Lyrics of this album mad so much more sense than the drible that was on St.Anger. On that album James just did not put effort into the lyrics. Plus James always did better by himself wrighting than with other people. Perhaps if they put the line that lars said in the "Some Kind of Monster" movie "Searchin for dounuts. in Frantic it might be better. But in this CD he deleivers very strong lyrics, like in my apocalypse, he is basicly wrighting about there late bassist Cliff. This shows a much more deeper James Hetfeild life. In the Song All Nightmare long he is telling more about his bad childhood, going through things.The Lyrics were greatly composed. James is finaly back! The high points of jameses singing is in the unforgiven 3 when he says "why can't I forgive me." Speaking of the unforgiven 3 I was waiting to hear this song for a while. But I sadly wasn't to impressed at the intro. But that's just me. The rest of the song is awesome Hetfeild realy put his heart and soul into this song. Overall the sining is great and the lyrics are a step up from the last couple albums. // 9

Overall Impression: While this album may not be the sequal to... And Justice for all it is still better than a lot of there albums (No need to say St.Anger again). with the new addition of Robert Trujilo, putting his awesome bass lines in. He improved they're music greatly better than Jason Newsted. The best songs on this album imo are All Nightmare Long, The Day That Never Comes and My Apocalypse. For being Metallicas ninth studio album it's very good. They went back to there standard tuning not Drop C or half a step down. The only things I didn't like about this album were that the drums at points over distorted the guitars and the bass wasn't as audible at times. also the instrumental song Suicide and Redemption was not the best on the cd, I have to say this is the song I least liked. But dispite all that if my copy was stollen I would definitly buy another and I advise you all to do the same if that happens. // 9

Death Magnetic Reviewed by: DOA12345, on october 08, 2008

Sound: Some people have complained about the sound of lars drums and the overall production on the album, but I think it sounds fantastic. Very raw, but yet very polished at the same time. The guitars feature a midrange that was missing in the 80's. Lars drums are top notch and feature a mix of cliche thrash beats and patters that are a little more inventive. Robs bass wasn't too prominent, but it shines at certain moments, especially in "Cyanide" when it's just him and lars for a few seconds. As a guitarist, I had one major complaint with the album, and that was that the majority of kirks solos sounded cool and somewhat original at some parts, and then at other times his licks were almost exactly the same as ones he played in the past. This might seem obvious, but the example that always comes to my mind is at about 6:45 in "The day that never comes", is it just me? or does that sound exactly like the harmonized part in the ride the lightning solo? it doesnt't't't really match up well. Also, it seems as kirk went a little over the top with the stupid sounding descending chromatic lines in an attempt to stray away from his hyper blues licks that we love him for. // 9

Lyrics: I've never payed too much attention to lyrics, but from what I read, the lyrics seem like a mix between Alice In Chains and a sadistic 15 years olds myspace page. Overall I could care less about the lyrics because the music is so kickass, but at times they definitely sound a little dumb. But seriously, it's metallica, who really cares? // 8

Overall Impression: When I read that Lars stated that the album seemed like it would close the gap between... And Justice and the Black Album, I thought it was pretty bold considering how bad Shit. Anger was. However, I don't think Ulrich dissapointed. The album is very thrashy at times, and yet very groove based at others. My three favorite tracks would have to be: All Nightmare Long: The general consensus is that this is one of the best songs on the album, and I agree. The intro seemed a little mashed together, but the rest of the song more than makes up for it. Nice Solo, except for the queer lick beginning at 5:06 The Unforgiven III: I love it, best solo on the album without a doubt. Great singing, and catchy chorus. Very groovy verses. Dig it The first four minutes of The Day That Never Comes: I love this song. THe first time I heard it I thought it was perfect. I loved the intro, the verses were good enough, but as soon as the chorus kicked in, I was hooked. The only two songs I have a fault are: My apocalypse: it's just dumb. Boring, generic riffs, nothing catchy, and the chorus just sucks. Everyone likes it because it's "in-your-face" and "edgy" but I think it's more of a pie in the face. The last three of the Day that Never comes: I'm not gunna lie. I almost cried when I heard the shitastic outro to this song. This is what a 14 yr old kid who just got a guitar for christmas would write, not one of the greatest metal bands in history. Randomn strung together riffs with lots of breaks in between. Dissapointing solo. Horrendously bad video as well. If the "heavy" part of this soing was reworked then it would be perfect. If Metallica tried to make this into another "fade to black" it would have worked, but since they tried turning it into a lazy version of "one", it fails. Nontheless, this is one of the best albums of the year. and my favorite compared to Nostradamus, Blooddrunk, and others Kudos to Metallica for doing what they do best: Sounding like Metallica. // 9

Death Magnetic Reviewed by: kane-9000, on november 03, 2008

Sound: The sound on the Death magnetic album was great, except for one simple fact, it had a crudy, grungy sound on it. But that problem was easily solved. All you had to do was make a burned copy of the disc and adjust the volume levels. Over all the sound was very good, Metallicas is over all one of the best sounding bands in my opnion. // 9

Lyrics: Well Metallicas lyrics, all about death and sorrow, same as every album before, it's great! Something about metallicas lyrics always give their songs that finishing touch. Their lyrics never fail to go perfectly into the song. And we have to give a lot of credit to James Hetfield. it's got to be just about the hardest thing in the world singing and playing guitar at the same time. he's not only playing like your basic chords and singing either, this guys got same insane rhythms and beautiful bridges. he's playing stuff that some people can't even play on guitar even when their not singing along. Anybody who doesnt't belive this mans great is crazy. // 10

Overall Impression: My overall impression of Death Magnetic was great. Once again metallica has created an album that blew our minds away, this band never fails to deliver the best. My favorite two songs from the album were, All Nightmare Long and The Day That Never Comes. All nightmare long is one of the greater songs of metallica, although it seems that no one has ever heard of it, what a shame. All nightmare long gives you a heavy metal feel with the greatness of metallica in it. The Day That Never Comes is yet another great song from these guys. It also gives you that wow feeling just listening to it. It is a song that is up in the ranks, right next to One and Fade To Black. Overall Death Magnetic was another great album, hope to see more from you guys. // 10

Death Magnetic Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 17, 2008

Sound: 01.That was just your life: very cool sounding song. Great clean riff in the begining leading and mixing with a heavier riff. The Intro drags on a bit, but is filled with sick trash riffs that you would expect from metallica. Verse and Chorus riffs are great. Cool Harmony in the bridge. Thank god Hammet is doing solos again. Not too impresive and kind of short, but at least it's a solo. Rythm guitar is tight, can't hear the bass very well, no more trash can drum set. drums sound a lot better, but style is genaric thrash. overall a good way to start off te album.-6 02.The End of the Line: not a lot of complexity, forgetable song. decent riffs, nice wah in the solo but nothing we haven't heard from hammet and way too short. bass is inaudible, drumming is okay.-4 03.Broken Beat and Scarred: one of the better songs on the album. Riffs have a new sound and style too them which is refreshing. Still can't hear the bass. Drumming is a little better here. good thrash solo, hammet still has his chops.-8 04.The Day that Never Comes: the single of this album, and it is easily the most impressive song off this album and that they have ever done. Format of "One", but in the style of "fade to black". Clean riffs in begining and verse, heavy chorus, repeat a couple times and then an all out thrash fest for the rest of the song. Your supposed to slow down as you get older, metallica is still as fast and technically proficient as they were on kill em all. Lars offbeat drumming while keeping a steady tempo at blazing speeds is incedible. awesome solo that goes on for a while. harmonizing guitar parts are very effective here. And hammet still shreds like a beast when it's his turn to shine. One of the top 15 songs metallica has ever done, and that's saying something.-10 05.All Nightmare Long: very impressive song. chugging guitar riffs and tight drumming keeps this song going forward. riffs reminds me of "four horseman" a bit. bass isnt here either. nice solo, goes on for a while, two solos actually. Another one of my faves of this album.-8 06.Cyanide: it seems that rob decided to show up on this song. Very cool bassline bringing kind of an "infectious groove" to metallica that doesnt't seem out of place at all. very cool to hear this kind of style from metallica. riffs are simple yet awesome. not one of their faster songs, but still very fun to listen too. cool soft part in the bridge leading into an impressive guitar solo from hammet. drumming is great on this song.-8 07.The Unforgiven III: the most anticipated song that everyone was waiting to hear, and it doesnt't dissapoint. great piano and orchestral intro, clean riff is cool leading into an awesome heavy verse riff. drumming is outstanding on this one, and once again the bass has dissapeared. Bridge leading into solo is intense. One of my top 5 favorite Hammet solos ever. I love it, fast with feeling, lots of wah, long, fits perfectly. Second best best song on album. Lots of musical complexity, not really an unforgiven song, but a great song none the less.-9 08.The Judas Kiss: simple yet kick-ass riffs, something that metallica has always done well. no bass, big surprise. Drumming is ok on this, nothing spctacular. very cool extended, classic, yet fresh Hammet solo. Another one of the cooler songs on album.-8 09.Suicide and Redemtion: all hail the epicness of metallica instrumentals. 10 minute instrumental that is very easy to listen to all the way through. Drumming is great, as is the bass on this one. Creative and unique riffs throughout. Solos are amazing. taking some of the great ideas from "ktulu", and "orien".-9 10.My Apocalypse: great thrash song. Shortest song, but a great way to end the album. Great riffs throughout, and a short yet sweet solo, that leaves you amazed that these middle aged thrashers can still pull this stuff off. drumming is once again genaric thrash and once again no bass.-8 Overall Sound-Rythm guitars held tight and the dazzling combinations of riffs in every song held them all together well. Bass frequencies were nearly nonexistent, but when rob showed up he was impressive. drumming was on and off at times, it seems lars just aint the same beast that he used to be but still had some cool moments. Solos were great to hear again, some were throwaways to fill 20-40 seconds of the songs, but most feautured outstanding shredding and style that always fits whatever song he is doing. Hammets new amp could be heard, I like the new sonic textures it gives him during riffs and in solos. Very modern sound overall, yet still retaining that classic Metallica feel. Production and engineering could have been better, but what is past is past. Overall sound of this album was really cool, there were some dissapointments of course, but still worthwile and enjoyable to listen to. // 8

Lyrics: Lets all face it, James Hetfield of Kill em All and Master and Ride is gone. But what makes Hetfield a great metal vocalist is that he is always reinventing himself vocally. That stays true with this album. During the fast trash parts of these songs he barks out the lyrics with power and intensity, and yet can still show impressive melodic control on the ballads. His voice always matches what is happening in the music very well. His lyrical quality has gone up about a thousand times from St. Anger. There are so many memorable lines that i can remember from almost each song. The main lyrical theme here on DM is Death, but he is still capable of writing vague yet powerful lyrics that mean something different for everyone. // 8

Overall Impression: One of most peoples concerns, including mine, when they went to go buy this album was, am I going to be disapointed like I was with St. Anger. When I stayed up till 2 in the morning blasting it the night I got it, I couldnt stop headbanging. This album I would say is better that Load, Reload, and St. Anger combined.. Metallica is embracing new modern ideas, yet still keeping with the tradition of great songwriting that metallica is known for. there are some things that are dissapointing about this album yes, such as the nearly non-existant bass, shoddy production and engineering, inconsistent drumming. But there plenty of geat things about it as well. James sings his ass off here and lyrics are still as powerful as ever. There are at least 50 amazing riffs on this album that will delight any lover of great thrash. Solos are back and Hammet can still shred with the best of em. If you love thrash, if you love metallica, if you want a kick ass album and love kick ass music, definitly go get this album. // 8

Death Magnetic Reviewed by: LedFender, on november 24, 2008

Sound: I have waited a long time for Death Magnetic. and as soon as I knew this was coming out, I was expecting nothing more than some good ole thrash. And, I got was I was expecting. now, the sound quality may be bad at times but that shouldn't stop anyone from listening to it. The day it came out, I ran over to Target and bought it. I popped it into my PC and I was amazed at what they did. They put together an album that sounded pretty modern but definitely had that Metallica sound we all know and love. // 10

Lyrics: They lyrics as you should all know are based on.. well... death. Sounds rather strange to just have songs all about death but I don't really even care. The way James and Co. put together this album is amazing. They knew what they were doing this time around. James's voice isn't in the best shape but hey, for a 45 year old dude screaming the way he does, you gotta give him credit. I'm very pleased with the way they put the album together. // 9

Overall Impression: My favorite songs on the album are The Judas Kiss, Suicide and Redemption (they have always done excellent jobs on their instrumentals... it sounded very different from Call of Ktulhu and Orion but it was still pretty friggin awesome. There aren't anythings I can think of that I hate about it... The solos were excellent. Kirk did use a little too much wah at times but it's not a problem. Kirk + Wah = madness! This album is hard to compare to Master Of Puppets or And Justice for All only because it's so different but still has that Metallica taste and sound to it. I'm very very pleased with the album and look forward to seeing what they have stored for us in the future. // 10

Death Magnetic Reviewed by: Nghtcrawler5, on december 02, 2008

Sound: Now, before I start, I'd like to issue a disclaimer. I, in my humble opinion, do not particularly like metal. Luckily, Metallica isn't all harsh throaty growls. Matter of fact, it's really a lot more smooth. No wonder it's so popular with everyone. But that's the problem. Metallica used to have the appeal of only a few people liked it. But now, every Slim Jim paste eater who listens to 'rock' (I'm putting rock in quotations because not everything is rock. Rolling Stone has lowered the bar... ) wears a Metallica T-shirt, regardless of whether he or she evens listens to it. Sickening But now that my frustrations are unleashed, I should get to how the album sounds. Well, it's typical Metallica. It starts slow, easy as she goes. Then BAM! A drum beat breaks the silence and the carnage begins. Naturally, it's mostly a ballad, like earlier Metallica works. Purely instrumental at the beginning and end. Here's the proof: I tested it. Listening to 'The Day That Never Comes', the sound continued for 1:20 or so before any words came through. Not to say that's a bad thing, but in this day and age of borderline stupid and reality TV, if something doesn't impress us in ten seconds, we lose interest. So... I worry. // 8

Lyrics: Lyrics? Right about... here would be the time in a Scooby Doo episode where that dog goes 'Ruh? ' See, Metallica uses vague lyrics. Very vague. Not Nirvana vague, but vague enough. Let's just say it sounds like some interesting poetry a friend of mine writes. Dark, but with meaning, despite it sounding like Lars was searching for a rhyme and used an online rhyming dictionary written by that emo roommate you had back at Seton Hall. And as for Ulrich's singing skills... well, I'm not a big fan. It doesn't require a lot of skill to sing like him. Sounds the oddly thin guy behind you at a NASCAR event that screams 'Yeah! ' and spills his beer on the three guys in front of him. Lars Ulrich looks like he should sound like a beast. A bounty hunter voice, per say. He looks like he could kick your ass, but in the end... not so much... // 6

Overall Impression: Now, Enter Sandman was probably Metallica's best work, and I highly doubt they'll reach that level of superiority again. So this brings up the question: why bother? Why, because they're Metallica, idiot. They have to keep playing, sometimes for tens of minutes at a time. For one song. Seriously, the ninth song on the album, 'Suicide and Redemption', is nine minutes and fifty-eight seconds long! After about 5 minutes, I grow bored of it. How many unimpressive riffs can you throw in one song? How many? Well, if it were a contest, Metallica would win the huge trophy made of chocolate. Now, don't get me wrong, it's not bad. It's just not that good. They can't live up to the Black Album, but let's face it. If Metallica broke up for good, there'd be rioting in the streets, and I'd like to avoid the guy at NASCAR turning his beer into a Molotov cocktail. // 7

Death Magnetic Reviewed by: Dragforce92, on december 16, 2008

Sound: Metallica is back with their new album Death Magnetic. It has a great sound that brings them back to their... And justice for all days and mix it in with their black album phase. It met it's reputation and from the first minute all the way to the last, they prove once again, they are one of the greatest and influentual bands of all time. Starting with That Was Just Your Life, the band starts with a heartbeat and a short quiet riff which obviously leads to a much more fast paced all together masterpiece. outta 10 it gets a perfect 10. The End Of The Line, yet another amazing song that starts heavy, ends heavy, pure metallica, definantly worth the listen. Another perfect 10 outta 10. Broken, Beaten, Scarred, the first song on the album that didn't do a whole lot for me. It makes for a good song but nothing special. 7 outta 10. The Day That Never Comes, ok clearly it's a steal from One, but I like it. It has the same exact basis that One did. Slow opening, slower than usualverse/chorus, metal, solo/shred, end. It didn't do what One did such as how amazing it was but I'd buy the solo had I not bought the album. 9 outta 10 All Nightmare Long, Cool song, I like it can't say too much. 8 outta 10 Cyanide, Alotta people don't like this song because it sounds a lot like it came from load or reload, or to a lesser extent, St. Anger. I on the other hand think it has a great sound to it. 9 outta 10 The Unforgiven III, great opening with a great piano that makes it sound dark and it kept my intrest the whole way thru. 8.5 outta 10 The Judas Kiss/ Suicide & Redemption, I listened to them, but not enough to give a rating for. My Apocalypse, Fast Paced from beginning to end, possibly the best song on the album, and the shortest. 10 outta 10 // 9

Lyrics: Lyrics are sometimes cheesy but overall they bring enough to the table, very full of anger and agression and Hetfields voice always will be remembered as one of the greatest to enter metal and he is one of the godfathers of this kinda music so he will always bring what's need because he knows what that is. // 7

Overall Impression: Overall this album met the reputation it's getting, I think some of these songs could possibly get on the greatest hits if it ever comes out. Metallica was never my favorite band, metal was never my favorite genre, but the fact that I listened to them and loved it so easily that really says something about this album. // 9

Death Magnetic Reviewed by: Metal maniac101, on january 27, 2009

Sound: Metallica rules, and this album is no exeption. it also seems to be one of the best that the band has out, following the Master of puppets album. The overall sound is great, and the wall of it attacking you with such songs as "That was just your life" and "My Apocalypse" I'd flat out awesome. I reccomend this album to any person out there who likes especially this genre of music. Awesome. Simply plastic CD-ROM greatness. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics were generally pretty good. The lyrics sounded very good coupled with the music. What really is the best abot this is Hetfeild. His throat-busting singing has been some of the best in the Biz for a long time, and is not showing any signs of slowing down. The tone of his voice goes perfectly with the music, but it is not overpowering it. This is a good album for people who listen for music, however, and should not, in my opinion be listened to strictly for the lyrics. This goes for you Rocstar/ Nickleback lovers out there who claim to love metal. That song is crossing the line into the world of crap country. // 8

Overall Impression: This album was much heavier than a lot of Metallica albums, so that was unexpected. it has made a lasting impression on me as a Metallica fan. The most impressive songs, to me were "That was just your life" and "My Apocalypse". I love the hard hitting riffs that Hammet is ripping out of his guitar, and there is nothing at all to hate about this album. If the album was stolen or lost, I would go buy it again without a second thought, this CD rules. // 10

Death Magnetic Reviewed by: PancakeLad001, on february 16, 2009

Sound: Metallica has put out it's first CD in over a decade. Their music style continues to be heavy rock/metal, and includes ridiculously fast playing of guitars. The solos kill, and even the rhythm guitars are impressive. Anybody who likes Metallica, Megadeth, or even Dragonforce will love this CD. Some of the songs have some nice acoustic guitar, but the CD focuses mainly on electric power chords and fast strumming. Even though there are only ten songs, each one brings something new to the CD. Death Magnetic is definitely a must-buy! // 10

Lyrics: If you like repeating, moderately good lyrics, then this is the CD for you. The lyrics are alright, and they tend to repeat themselves in every song. I also dislike the fact that the singer decides to sing so low. He has potential, but decides not to use it. Otherwise, the singing was a 6, the overall lyrics a 6.5, and when you combine the bad singing and lyrics with the music, a 8! // 8

Overall Impression: Since this is Metallica's first album in over a decade, it's about as good as their albums, maybe a little bit below. Master of Puppets and Justice for All are way above Death Magnetic, but if you want a reminder of their music, then this is a good CD for you. The best songs on the CD are All Nightmare Long, The Unforgiven III, and possibly The Day That Never Comes. I hate that there are only 10 songs on the album, and that each song has a 2 minute solo (it seems like 20). The only thing I love about it is that the singing goes throughout the song and does not abandon it. I would not buy this album again, but it's good for hard-core Metallica fans. // 9

Death Magnetic Reviewed by: actaderock, on july 13, 2009

Sound: The Super-group comes back with an album, after seeing the video of the first single, The Day That Never Comes, it gave me a really good impression. Actually, the first time I saw The Day That Never Comes was on the instrumental part, specificaly when the solders are firing, etc. I said to myself ''OMG this so cool, sounds like 80s Metal'' and indeed, I saw the legendary band in the middle of the desert. This is the first album with Robert Trujillo, I think he is the best bassist Metallica has had after Cliff Burton and he gives some latin pride in the Metal scene. Metallica came back with their old school logo that stopped being used in the mid 90s and they came back to the standard tuning, something really pleasent to my ears (there are exceptions though, such as Black Sabbath). About their innovation, Id rather say it is something like going back to the ''golden era.'' The Day That Never Comes reminds me a lot of Fade to Black and One, being a ballad that later turns really Thrash. There is a continuation to the Unforgiven timeline, I like this one a lot. Suicide and Redemption is an instrumental that reminds me of The Call of Ktulu and the rest of the songs are really old school Metallica, like Kill Em All. // 8

Lyrics: This guys are great at lyrics, all of their albums are really good lyrically, if Led Zeppelin is a 10 in lyrics this guys are a 9 or a 9.5. Eventhough Metallica returned to the old school Thrash-style (like the Dave Mustaine days) Kirk Hammet does give a lot of melodic arrangements to the pieces and they go great, it is a great mix. About the singer skills, James' voice might have changed a bit, but nothing to criticize, his screams are awesome and eventhough it is a Thrash baritone voice, he does really good high tones, for example in The Day That Never Comes. // 9

Overall Impression: I think Death Magnetic was the best album in 2008 and one of the best in the decade. As said before, some of the songs compare to the old ones that made Metallica a legendary band. The most impressive song of the album is definetly The Unforgiven III. I love the cover, really good design, I love the band's sound and I would love to see them live here in Colombia, the only thing I hate is a song called All Nightmare Long. If it was stolen or lost I wouldn't buy it again, just cause it is on my computer now, I would look forward to another album, just cause I like to experience new stuff. // 9

Death Magnetic Reviewed by: McBaino, on september 07, 2009

Sound: Metallica have been instrumental in making the Thrash Metal genre what it is today with their earlier albums such as "Master Of Puppets". They adopted a different style of music for "Metallica" which was a mainstream success but when "Load" and "Reload" were released they had formed a more "bluesy" sound. The release of "St Anger" recieved mixed reviews as the guitar solos that Metallica are famous for were not in the songs. "Death Magnetic", Metallica's newest release was produced by Rick Rubin which is probably why the album sounds like the older albums. The album has been compared to "Master Of Puppets" because the music is fast and has very fast and very good guitar solos. "That Was Just Your Life" starts off slowly with a starting riff similar to "The Thing That Should Not Be" which was on the "Master of Puppets" album but then builds up into one of the fastest songs of the album with James Hetfield's singing as fast as the music. "All Nightmare Long" mixes a number of riffs with speed and a very complex guitar solo with a number of effects. "Suicide & Redemption" is a great instrumental track with a number of completely different riffs and solos. "The Unforgiven III" is the final version of the "Unforgiven Trilogy" and is a great track. It starts off with a slow piano intro and into a medium paced verse and the bridge which is very simple starts off slowly and gets faster and breaks into a guitar solo which is insanely fast and is very well written. Although the album is one of Metallica's best albums to date, it is very similar to many of their other albums and it isn't original enough. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics on the album are somewhat simple but very good. The chorus of "All Nightmare Long" is very haunting but is catchy. "The Day That Never Comes" has wonderful lyrics that can be applied to many different themes. The album has a number of themes to it such as the reference to slaves on "Broken, Beat and Scarred" and the metaphorical lyrics on "That Was Just Your Life". The feeling of being alone and unloved is well described on the ballad "The Unforgiven III". Overall, the lyrics are well written even though they are simple. // 8

Overall Impression: The album certainly compares to Metallica's older stuff which is great but isn't very original. "My Apocalyspe" demonstrates a very simple guitar riff but is one of the best riffs I have heard. "The Unforgiven III" is a great structured song and sounds amazing also. The guitar solos from the album are as good as the ones from the older albums. The album is certainly an improvement from their last album "St Anger" and it also has more good songs than bad songs on it, in fact all the songs are good but there are only a few which are really amazing. // 9

Death Magnetic Reviewed by: unregistered, on october 16, 2009

Sound: This album is a kind of hard to hear when you are a beginner in metal music due to the lack of a very neat production but it is truly a master piece when you closely hear it; there is a great simphony in all instruments, the guitar really is what we want to hear in a metallica and even dough the drums are too loud for my taste we can see why lars can really sell it; musically the record kind of follows the last album, this album would be the last to have so many songs in a complex work this is the last album we had metallica playing a 100% record: really off the hook riffs with an excellent voice and the album itself makes you practice more metallica songs in your guitar; the downs of the album are: the lack of bass and the increase of the drums voluthis albums lacks of 2 things: the grammy that jethro tull didn't deserve and more songs. // 9

Lyrics: A band its really good when it has great lyrics to go with the great sound and this labum got it; it is the most political album mteallica has made. ...And justice for all has realy awesome lyrics that deal with the law system; one is about a handicap man that lost it all in war, eye of the beholder about the freedom of speech and the small portion of to live is to die is a part of a poem tha Cliff Burton relly liked. The voice is not left behind and James Hetfield even not being a born singer did a very good job adding the album own raw signature sound. // 10

Overall Impression: The album its a follow up from master of puppets so its kind of underrated but it has prove to still be a crazy and loveable album in all senses. 01. Blackened: just the intro puts in the mood to mosh and destroy everything you see, the riff is very good and the drums parts are incredible; the solo is kind of strange but its still pretty good it is a good first song. 02....And Justice for All: the acoustic guitar intro just justify why this album is so great, besides from the lyrics the cohesion of the band is marvelous; the singing is brillant too the solo speaks for itself too it is a shame they don't play it live anymore 03. Eye of The Beholder: the riff is kind of a cliche but the voice really contrasts the song so as the solo 04. One: well, who doesn't like this song? it has everything great drums, great voice, excellent guitar and one of the best solos in histroy; the both solos are incredible; this song is so good that a lot of metallica fans hate it because everyone likes it. 05. The Shortest Straw: this one is another excellent song from the justice list, the riff is one of my favorites in the album but it kind of bores you until the solo 06. Harvester of Sorrow: in a conversation of metallica songs i'll put this one from the intro to the end its really a great song, the line of the chorus is great the only thing this song needs is a solo 07. The Frayed Ends On Sanity: it is also a good song but i don't like it that much as the others its my least favorite but still being a bright one; the solo is madly good 08. To Live is To Die: the intro is cool and the transition to distorsion is even cooler this semi-instrumental song is really complex and well done and like other instrumental shows the spirit of metallica 09. Dyers Eve: the riff fills you up with energy after a whole hour headbanging, its the fastest of the album and the singing is the best if the album in my opinion the solo follows up the direction of all the album's solos: insane. its the best song to finish this work of art that metallica wrote the album itself was also a good way to finish the 80's. // 10

Death Magnetic Reviewed by: p town massive, on december 01, 2009

Sound: The sound of this album is the closest you'll get to being assaulted, its been nearly 30 years since the band started making music together and after all this time the agression and energy is just as deadly. I had eagerly awaited this album so Metallica were going to be hard pressed from the beginning, fortunately as soon as the faint heartbeat and mystic guitar riff started the hairs on my neck stood up, it was moments after this that Kirk, started a riff that could only be described as exhillarating. Then before you know the band's tightness is in full swing as James screams 'like a siren in my head' at the microphone. St Anger took me awhile to adjust to before I fully appreciated Metallica's direction and sound on the album, in a completely opposite transistion, Death Magnetic is the biggest blend of every bit of material they've ever written, the album is the best of metal, sorry folks but they can't keep re-issuing Master of Puppets every year to satisfy the so-called - 'real metal heads'. Trust Me, until Slayer get back you're gonna be picking up your air guitars and banging your head with this. // 9

Lyrics: For a start, we all know that James Hetfield doesn't have a great voice, great in the terms of octaves and singing in key. What he does possess however is the voice that wouldn't suit anything but Metallica. His melodic voice from the Load/Reload days is present but only when neccessary and in keeping with the song and the rest of the time he is back at his brutal best, if you want proof - wait for the improptu stop in 'All Nightmare Long' before he roars back in with the words 'Hunt you down without mercy!' The lyrics on the album are exactly what the band needs to insure the sheer destruction of this album. From 'Its just the funeral i've been waiting for' to 'Broken, Beaten, Scarred - We die hard' each listen gets you a new insight to the theme of the song. // 9

Overall Impression: Lets face it, there's nothing out there, no new bands breaking ground, X Factor has returned and washed away all sembelence of 'Music'. So whats left? The old firm, from Slayer, ACDC, Maiden and Metallica, its been proven that the old guys do it best. Death Magnetic will be the album everyone talks about. Those that come out to critise it and those who love it. You may love this album, you may not - how am I suppose to know your tastes? BUT if you own a Metallica album, this, could very well be your next one. Solos, anger, melodies, speed, aggression, rhythm its got it all. For the Metallica fans (the real ones) its another blessing to keep you warm until your tickets for the World Magnetic tour get there. // 9

Death Magnetic Reviewed by: Unicronus, on november 02, 2010

Sound: When I heard this CD I was very pleased with the sound. Its much more like Metallica then the last album was. It is probably there heaviest album but it is one of their best in my opinion. It has a perfect combination of soft and heavy songs. Also, it has the next Unforgiven. The Unforgiven III might be my favorite of the Unforgivens although it is a tough call because they are all really good. Then this album has some of Metallica's heaviest songs including All Nightmare Long and Cyanide. Overall this album has really great sound with the exception of few songs. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics are good. The Day That Never Comes, has amazing lyrics though. I feel that this song is very influential. Then, there is the Unforgiven III. These two songs alone make the album worth it. Both have very good lyrics. The music fits perfect with the lyrics. The singer is James Hetfield. Enough said. But for those of you who haven't hear Metallica before, he is one of my favorite singers of all time. // 10

Overall Impression: I guess you can compare it to Slayer's World Painted Blood, and Megadeth's Endgame. Although I like all of these albums, Death Magnetic is my favorite of the new thrash albums. I am very impressed with The Day That Never Comes, The Unforgiven III, All Nightmare Long and Cyanide. I love these songs most about it. If I lost it I would definitely get it again. I listen to this album a lot. Metallica Rocks! // 10

Death Magnetic Reviewed by: mrtoast04, on september 23, 2008

Sound: The new sound is interesting. One things for sure, there's no lack of snare in it. It's got a pretty loud sound to it. Tends to get a little annoying at times. This is a little different for Metallica's usual sound. The music on this album is, well lets face it, not as good as the "old stuff" ( black album and backward.) If you know anything about Metallica as a whole, then you'll know that Metallica pretty much sold out right around the Black Album. The music is surprisingly more talented than I thought. I personally had low expectations for this album. I have to say I liked the solos a good bit especially in the day that never comes and suicide and redemption. Some of the songs are a little annoying but some of tend to grow on you. // 7

Lyrics: The lyrics were pretty "Metallica", with the usual dark kind of depressing tone. Though the theme left me a little dry. I kinda thought that the name was a little stupid when I first heard about it. James's voice is pretty good for a man his age thats been singing for that long. His voice does get annoying at some points in the album and you can tell the change in his voice compared to their old stuff but even so it wasn't bad. // 6

Overall Impression: I have to say that if it wasn't Metallica who made this album I would rate it lower. Metallica has gained so much prestige over the years so it's hard to dislike them despite the simple drums and the selling out of the band. They really are a talented band though. You can see it in the solos(even if they do usually stay in the same scale) and the harmonies and the bridges. If I lost this album it wouldn't be the end of the world for me. I'm not sure I'd go through the trouble of rebuying it though. But it's worth listening to and buying if your a Metallica fan. // 8

Death Magnetic Reviewed by: mistertomo123, on october 27, 2008

Sound: In a word: Awesome! Metallica are back, and back how we (or at least I) want them. And just because I say that please don't think that it's simply because I worship Metallica, because I don't. Until I bought Death Magnetic the other week, I had never bought a studio album by them or even heard anything from the infamous St Anger: the only Metallica tracks I have are the S&M live tracks, and then a few others that I've picked up here and there over the course of a couple of years. However, this is an album with a bestially immense sound, and it is great to see that they have finally resurfaced on a level we haven't seen them at for over ten years. I had to admit that when I first pressed the play button after purchasing it and heard the drums cut in I thought oh no, here we go again, but to be honest, after half way through the first track I found myself almost forgiving Lars and the producer for this sonic glitch that seems to have been stalking Metallica for a couple of albums; the sound of the band as a unit is simply amazing, and it is remarkably easy to ignore the overly loud drum patterns and focus purely on how good the music as a whole comes across. Metallica have walked close to all the boundaries on this record, too, with Kirk and James slipping effortlessly back into shred and riffing modes respectively, but this album also expresses a more melodic side to the band as well, which in my opinion changes it from an above average metal album to undoubtedly the best rock album of 2008, courtesy of a few songs based on some momentous sounding chord progressions which help to break up the de-tuned rifffage pouring out of the guitars. In a musical respect, Metallica are as good as we have ever seen them, yet unfortunately the quality of production does not yet seem to have quite recovered from 2003's catastrophe, with the awesome guitar parts at times hampered by tones that do not quite seem dialled in to suit the playing, and drums that drown out the bass subsequently reducing the overall power of the tone somewhat, but once again: this can be overlooked simply because it cannot hide how great the album really is at heart. // 8

Lyrics: From a lyrical point of view, much of Death Magnetic fits the bill for a fairly standard metal album: violence, darkness, death and so on, which there is nothing wrong with, it just seems to lack a bit of imagination. There are some high points, but they are few and far between. Having said that, the aforementioned boring lyrics do at least sound true and real coming from James Hetfield, unlike some of the younger bands that can sometimes come across as little short of ridiculous with their over the top efforts to sound like the original metal artists. I've seen and heard a little bit of moaning about Hetfield's vocal powers over the last few weeks since the album's release, most of which I disagree with. Yes, if all you want is him attacking his throat with a cheese grater like in Master of Puppets, you may be a bit let down, but he is still just as in tune and powerful as when he did the Black Album: nothing has changed there. He does still have a great metal voice, but on this album it seems to shine brightest on the couple of songs that show the softer side of the band such as the first single you will almost undoubtedly have heard; The Day That Never Comes. His vocal lines do certainly bring a sense of grandeur to the softer songs, but sound as at home as ever bellowing his way through the heavier and more baroquely intricate tracks. To sum this section up: ordinary by Metallica's standards, close to mind-blowing by anyone else's. // 7

Overall Impression: A monstrous rock album that truly deserves to go down as one of the greats. Okay, so it's not Bon Jovi's 'Slippery When wet', and neither is it Guns n Roses 'Appetite for Destruction', but what it is is a thoroughbred classic that won't remain in the top five in the charts for months on end or be sung by pop fans twenty years later in a high school prom, but it thoroughly deserves an awful lot of credit from anyone who considers themselves to be a proper rock fan. With such diversity on the record, there is never a dull moment, but below is a quick lowdown of what I consider to be the three highlights of Death Magnetic: 3. Broken, Beat & Scarred: Who said that great metal has to be fast? This song is a contradiction to the beliefs of anyone who is a hardcore speed or thrash metal fan, but Broken, Beat and Scarred has a stomping rhythm slightly reminiscent of Pantera's Walk, but has Kirk's lead sound to compliment the low-end rhythm riffs. Making excellent use of the Sabbath created evil scale, this is an atmospheric song that I'm sure has adequate potential to become the soundtrack of many an ODer. 2. The Day that Never Comes: You won't be alone if the opening of this song sounds a little more familiar than you think it should: Fade to Black's opening solo and acoustic passage do seem to be heavily referenced here in the first single to be dragged screaming from the record. At track number four, it calms the sound down following the preceding tracks, bringing out a softer, more acoustic sound that we've seen on a number of their ballads in the past. Overall, I wouldn't call it top-notch Metallica, but it is at least a reminder of such tracks from The Black Album and Load, with soft instrumentals and vocals building into some serious shouting and screaming (by Hetfield and the dual guitars). 1. The first time I heard this song, I fell in love with it, and still find it irresistible now after probably fifteen times through at least, for so many different reasons. It opens with a piano intro, which is something completely new for Metallica, but I immediately found myself casting my preconceptions aside and revelling in the melodic mastery of the first minute of the song (it clocks in at over seven in total). Soon enough a bit of the classic clean toned Metallica comes in (comparable to the master of puppets interlude, fade to black, one etc etc).This passage build and then falls, before a searing vocal-following riff kicks in, accompanied by Hetfield's phenomenal vocal operatics. The chorus is layered over a mammoth chord sequence that puts any AC/DC to shame, with some highly pleasing licks in the background from the esteemed Mr Hammet. The overall song's impression is that of a true epic, different in style but equal in greatness to masterpieces such as Outlaw Torn, with a real uplifting but nonetheless headbanging feel to it. Quintessential Metallica. And finally, of course I'd buy it again if I lost it. As for if it was stolen, I'm currently undecided whether I'd rather lynch the guy who stole it or congratulate him for his good taste. A tricky one // 8

Death Magnetic Reviewed by: Newstad_Rocker, on december 18, 2008

Sound: Many people accuse Metallica of "Selling out" when they released Load. To me they were just redefining their careers. The Black album defined their career. Don't get me wrong I don't believe The Black Album was their best one but because of it 10 times more people listened to Master of Puppets. Anyway now they are back to their old sound(so they say). This time there is no movie to back them up, just some sound and video clips. When I heard the sound clips I didn't say "oh my god they're back!". But I felt they had something good going. I listened to all the songs and during my ride home from buying tickets to the concert. I thought they sounded more like a "Hardcore band" rather than a thrash band due to the fact that it was so loud. The loudness made the quality suffer. I thought the production was poor. Some high points were that the songs for the most part was catchy. My mark in my Math diploma exam suffered due to listening to "All Nightmare long." Some other catchy songs are "End of the Line", "Cyanide", "Judas Kiss" and "Broken, Beaten and Scarred". Another low was the solos. I'm sorry but Kirk Hammet is not a very creative soloist and seeing him live did my point justice. The solos were also quite "smeshed" up. I do give him phrase for solos in "Unforgiven 3" and "The Day That Never Comes." I felt the overall sound was good but killed by the poor production and editing. I think that this is a great record for a new generation of metal fans because they been fed with Axl Rose's Guns N roses(Slashless), Screamo bands and My Chemical Romance. This CD gives them a good representation of what metal should be. // 7

Lyrics: Metallica's Lyrics were always great for the theme of the music. The songs are very catchy. When they perform "Enter Sandman" and "Master of Puppets" James doesn't have to sing. the lyrics most talk about death or difficult times. I felt the lyrics to "Broken, Beaten and scared" were lame. Saying "What doesn't kill you makes you more strong" throughout the whole song doesn't suit me. As I said before most of their songs are very catchy in Death Magnetic. James' singing is at it's peak. I was very impressed with his ability to say in melody(after listening to St. Anger I was starting to ask questions). I don't think there is a better front man for a Metal band out there. // 9

Overall Impression: When comparing this ablum to Metallica album I would have to say it doesn't live up to their old stuff BUT it is a much needed album for the new generation of Metal fans. I think it is best compared to Kill Em All because of the catchy songs and licks. it's no Master of Puppets but metal fans could do a lot worst. I feel that even some well respected "new" metal bands like Mastodon, In Flames and All That Remains do not do justice to the thrash metal genre. My favorite songs are "Unforgiven 3" and "End of the Line" they are both catchy and have good solos. There is not much to "Love" about this album besides James' vocals but I have discussed the good things. What I hate is the production and editing of the album. I also didn't feel the classic Metallica sound and there wasn't a true trash metal song. If it were stolen or lost I would buy it again because the cover is cool. // 7

Death Magnetic Reviewed by: Mr.LeadGuitar, on january 05, 2009

Sound: It is the album that should have gone between... And Justice For All and the self titled "Black Album". It takes the thrash and jam styles of Mustaine-era metalica and fuses it with the more mainstream style of Hetfield-era Metallica. The thing I hated about the CD was the quality of the sound: during several parts of the album, the music, not just the guitars, were distorted as if the levels weren't mixed and mastered correctly. According to That Metal Show (viewed on VH1 Classic), the person who mastered the CD (who didn't list himself anywhere on the CD case or in the attatched lyric book) held a press confrence stating that it was distorted when he got the recordings. Of course, it's not too much of an issue, and still, the thrash metal band did great with the album, and I cannot wait for them to play in or near Rhode Island on their next tour! // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics, like the music, seems to reflect on the band's roots: thrash playing and repetative yet catchy lyric lines. The choruses (probably bad grammar) are catchy as usual, and the lyrics are non the less expressive. The same themes, simmilar word use. The music was original, but the lyrics sound simmilar to many songs metallica has released in the past and on this album. Not much imagination was put towards these songs lyrics, but it's still great to listen to. // 7

Overall Impression: It's good old fasion Metallica. The best songs in my opinion were The Unforgiven III (Unforgiven appeared on their "Black Album" and Unforgiven II on Reload), which began with a soothing piano and orchestral piece, That Was Just Your Life, which is the first track and is old metallica with a new metallica twist, and, of course, The Day That Never Comes, which is the first single off the album. I love that it takes original Thrash Metallica Sound and melds it with the sound of The Black Album, Load, and Reload (St. Anger was terrible, so I don't concider it new or old metallica). This definitely was the album that went between... And Justice For All and The Black Album. If it were stolen, I'd go out and look for a deluxe edition. If not, I'd definitely buy it again. // 8

Death Magnetic Reviewed by: Xx_Metalman_xX, on december 25, 2009

Sound: Death Magnetic is a relief to Metallica fans like myself, as it shows a return to their thrash roots, such ass Ride The Lightning and Master Of Puppets. However, there was some sound quality problems which were fixed in the Guitar Hero series. Also, Robert Triquillo, Metallica's bassist, could not be heard as well as in songs like Seek And Destroy. Lars hogs most of the sound, while Hetfield and Hammett take up about 3/4 the rest. The guitars sound great, as opposed to Lars's snare drum, which could still use some improvement. // 6

Lyrics: One thing that I didn't like about the St. Anger album was the repetition of the lyrics. Hetfield is now bringing out great lyrics, if not 80's level. There are really good lyrics, such as the chorus in The Judas Kiss and The End Of The Line. While he doesn't exactly reach the vocal expertise of Master Of Puppets or ...And Justice For All, his lyrics can't hurt the song. His delivery is solid too, doing better than the average thrash singer in their 40's. However, I feel he should stay away from high pitched songs, such as The Unforgiven III. // 8

Overall Impression: Most of the songs on this album are good or better. However, some songs can be chopped off, IMO, Broken, Beat, and Scarred and The Unforgiven III. As for individuals, James, we've already talked about. Hammett, his solos should deliver more punch. They are good, but they should be longer, not act as some sort of bridge for the song. The rhythm section is perfect, no complaints. Trijillo, although he can barely be heard, if at all, is perfect too, as I have listened to the bass tracks. Lars is jut horrible: he's a shell of the 80's drummer we know. However, this album is a major improvement, and I hope they improve and make another album like this. // 8

Death Magnetic Reviewed by: shoot2kill00, on march 09, 2010

Sound: 5 years after the catastrophic St. Anger album, Metallica release what is probably their most important record since their 1991 "Black Album", or perhaps even since Justice. This is the album that will make up most people's minds as to whether Metallica can still be considered a big player in metal. I bought this album one week after its release, and before i put it on I was filled with a mixture of great excitement and also to an extent great dread. Because if I put this album on and it was an epic fail, then that would be it. I would be forced to admit to all the doubters that the band who to this day I call my favourite band ever was dead. Well; lets start from the start. This album has been called a "return to form", and god did Metallica need it, because the more I listen to 2003's St. Anger the worse it sounds. WIth Death Magnetic, Metallica has attempted to get back to the sound of its first five albums, and to be fair the riffs are back, as are the guitar solos, Lars' snare no longer sounds like a child banging a stick off a binlid, and Hetfield, whilst no longer able to offer his aggressive rasping vocals of Metallica's early work, does at least seem to be making an effort to sing rather than simply shout with a faint melodic inclination as he appeared to do on St. Anger. The production quality is noticably better than on the band's previous album, and the instruments are clearly defined rather than sounding muddy and disorganised as they did on said previous release. In terms of the overall sound of the album, it sounds somewhere between "...And Justice For All" and the "Black Album". The riffs are certainly very reminiscent of these releases, as are the guitar solos, which unfortunately are repetitive and unexciting. Kirk squeezed the last drops out of the Pentatonic Minor 19 years ago, and somebody really needs to tell him that, so that maybe if Metallica make another album then we might be treated to some of the inventive guitar work that we saw on tracks like "Fade to Black" and "Disposable Heroes". // 7

Lyrics: I would cite 1988's "...And Justice For All" as Hetfield's greatest lyrical achievement. After that he became less outspoken, aiming to create more radio friendly material. Popular lyrical themes in Death Magnetic include Hetfield's struggle with alcoholism, in tracks such as "That Was Just Your Life", and a recurring nightmare in "All Nightmare Long". Generally speaking the lyrics are better than on other recent Metallica releases, and fit the music fairly well. Hetfield doesn't sound as good as on the first five albums, but he hasn't sounded as good as that since his blowout in '92, so it's hardly a surprise. // 7

Overall Impression: In comparison with St. Anger, this is a vastly superior album in every aspect. Megadeth's United Abominations and Endgame would be better again, but considering where Metallica were coming from, this is an achievement nonetheless. That was Just your life; Broken, Beat and Scarred, All Nightmare Long and The Judas Kiss are my favourite songs on the album, as these are the songs which I feel have the best melodies and guitar work. The most hyped song is The Day That Never Comes, but I feel that this hype is largely undeserved. For me, this song never quite gets into its stride, and the long guitar solo at the end doesn't fit the song. If it were stolen/lost I would probably replace it. It is certainly an album worth getting, just don't expect another Master of Puppets. // 9

Death Magnetic Reviewed by: mr_metal121, on april 06, 2010

Sound: Probably one of, if not THE most anticipated album of 2008, Metallica's attempt to go back to their roots, a hard mission to even take up, let along accomplish, few bands going 20+ years have been able to do this successfully. "Death Magnetic" has been described by band members as "the link between ...And Justice for All and The Black Album". Of course I can see where they place this, there are signs of late 80's early 90's era Metallica, had they of made this album 20 years ago it would of been much more successful and the metal community would of accepted it more so than they have done now. Rick Rubin is placed as producer for Death Magnetic, which is good because I always thought Bob Rock was a complete toss pot. The song writing's definitely the best its been since TBA, a lot of the themes here are about death and loss (the album title for starters). The musicianship is the best it's been in years, there are hints of thrash sections in this, but even with the mid-tempo songs they try to spice it up a bit (even Lars is using a fill here and there). Robert Truijillo who I think is a much better bassist than Jason, mainly because I don't care much for pick-style bass playing, puts some tasteful bass lines where they're needed, the groove in Cyanide is an example. Kirk's solos aren't that good, but they aren't mega-boring tasteless licks that he's been using in Load/Reload, hell there weren't even solos in St Anger, so there's something. James' rhythm playing is top notch, some really good riffs in there which definitely kept my attention, his solo in Suicide and Redemption is enjoyable too. Now, the production.....eek. Well you can definitely tell they got inspiration for AJFA with this, because for one the drums are too high, the bass is too low, and at times there's very little dynamic. If the final mastering was done better, and the tracks weren't over-compressed then the whole album would of been far better, but of course faults lower scores. // 5

Lyrics: As I said before the song writing's the best it' been since TBA, no songs about drag racing here, the themes here include, death, loss, fear, and redemption. I for one would rather that over drag racing any day. The music reflects onto the themes, for example the start of "That was just your life" includes a haunted echoed clean intro to reflect on the character going through insanity. The Unforgiven 3 is a power ballad with touching melodies and includes a slow piano intro and deals with the character going through a depressed state. James' vocal work is good for his age, of course it's no 80's era harsh gritty yells but they fit the music well and aren't irritating and off-key. // 7

Overall Impression: Hands down this Metallica's best album in years, a definite indicator that these veterans still have it in them to go strong. They don't try to push it too far and try and play 10 songs at Damage Inc tempo, they show their age but they also show they're stripes and can hit a punch in the right areas. The top songs for me are * Broken, Beaten and Scarred * The Judas Kiss * The Unforgiven 3 * All Nightmare Long * My Apocalypse - probably the most "thrashy" song on the album All in all this is a good "come back" not their best work by far, but not their worst. If not for the lack of dynamics and the production problems I'd rate this higher but for what it is, it's great. // 6

Death Magnetic Reviewed by: JQJO12, on june 09, 2010

Sound: This album by Metallica really shows there Heavy Metal side especially in the songs cyanide and All Nightmare long ( two of my favorites). Definitely a change in pace for them. But then they slow it down a little bit with the unforgiven 3 and suicide and redemption which I think is the 2nd best instrumental next to call of ktulu. The first three songs of the album though has the quick pace and heavy shreding also with the My apocalypse at the end of the album. Then we have have the unique song of the day that never comes which I beleive is the best in that album though it resembels the song "one" alot with slow intro solo soft verses, heavy chorus, heavy interlude after chorus, after that heaving shreding by the guitar, and the song ends with a great solo. And one song I'm forgetting is the judas kiss which resembles cyanide( to me). // 8

Lyrics: Lyrics... They talk alot about death and pain, very dark and different approach by metallica. And Hetfeilds voice is very different from those of the other albums but still very impressive. // 5

Overall Impression: Its a great album better than st.anger and garage inc. But I still think it doesn't compare to and justice for all or ride the lightning( sorry to those who appose). My three favorites would have to be 3.all nightmare long 2.cyanide 1.the day that never comes. I love everything the sound, the solos the riffs etc. I hate nothing. If it was lost I would definitley buy it again but mostly cause of the beautiful design. // 8

More Metallica reviews rating latest review
+ King Nothing [Single] 9.5 05/26/2014