Hero Of The Day [Single] Review

metallica: Hero Of The Day [Single]
Release Date: 1996
Genres: Thrash, Speed Metal, Heavy Metal, Hard Rock
Label: Elektra
"Hero Of The Day" is meant for hard rock fans, not metal heads.
 Lyrics: 6.5
 6.9
 6.5
 7.2
Hero Of The Day [Single] Reviewed by: (...), on february 19, 2007

Sound: Hero Of The Day does not sound like the Metallica I know. The whole approach is different. And while the single includes a live Kill/Ride medley, these songs off their first two CDs do not even sound like classics anymore when played by Metallica. I mean they sound like different songs. Slower, more choppy, and I need not talk about James' recent voice change shall I? The medley contains Ride the Lightning, No Remorse, The Four Horsemen, Phantom Lord, Hit The Lights, and Fight Fire With Fire. Hero Of The Day is meant for hard rock fans, not metal heads. // 4

Lyrics: One word. Terrible. Yes, the lyrics do go good with the music, but how they are sung makes me want to go deaf. It seems to me that around the time of the Black Album, James got throat surgery or something. Yes James can sing on tune, but doesn't do even an average job with it. Uh, what am I listening to and what have you done with James? // 3

Overall Impression: The single doesn't compare to anything on this earth, in a bad way. I hate the vocals, guitars, and everything for that matter. If it was stolen, I seriously would not care. I was out at a store and saw it, and thought that I could add it to my CD collection. Yet I did not know what was in store for me when I put it in my CD player on the way home. I listened to it once that day, and once today just to remember how bad it was so I could tell you. // 2

Hero Of The Day [Single] Reviewed by: RosetaStoned351, on may 14, 2014

Sound: "Hero of the Day" is the second single released from "Load." This song for me is all about feel. It's a hard rock ballad with two heavy parts. The intro and verses are played with clean guitars and the music here puts you in one mood, whilst the chorus is played with distortion guitars and puts you in another. The heavy parts feature power chords and double bass drumming, these parts put you in a third mood. The music is great, but the best thing about the song is the lyrics and the vocal melody. The last part of the guitar solo as it goes into the chorus gives me chills every time. A lot of my attachment to this album comes from nostalgia, so I can understand that many people don't realize how fantastic the "Load" and "Reload" albums actually are. // 10

Lyrics: James wrote this song about the people who are looking for heroes within the media and entertainment. The song says that those people searching for heroes do not realize that the heroes are the people they come across in everyday life. This is indeed a beautiful song, that still to this day gets my emotions going whenever I hear it. "Hero of the Day" has some of best lyrics the album, and Hetfield's vocals are top notch. It's kinda hard to explain the feelings that I get from this song, but the singing and lyrics during the chorus and last heavy part is simply fantastic. // 10

Overall Impression: "Hero of the Day" is one of the best songs from "Load," and when we're talking ballads, definitely a better song than "Nothing Else Matters." It still gets crushed by the masterpiece that is "Bleeding Me," but that doesn't really matter. The other song on the single is the "Kill/Ride Medley," recorded live in England, '95. I think it was a smart move to add a 10 minute thrash mayhem track to even out the calmness of the ballad. There are other versions of the single featuring different Motorhead covers, a remix and a demo. However, this version is the best. // 10

More Metallica reviews rating latest review
+ King Nothing [Single] 9.4 05/26/2014