Master Of Puppets Review

metallica: Master Of Puppets
Released: Feb 24, 1986
Genre Thrash Metal, Speed Metal, Heavy Metal
Label: Asylum
"Master Of Puppets" is the third studio album by the Metallica.
 Lyrics: 9.5
 9.5
 9.6
 9.4
Master Of Puppets Reviewed by: Josué, on april 30, 2005

Sound: What is there to say about Metallica's 1986 album "Master Of Puppets"? The sounds range from fast and furious (Damage, Inc.), to slow and heavy (The Thing That Should Not Be), to mellow, yet thought provoking (Welcome Home (Sanitarium)). The lyrics are well captured by the music, which is heavy. This album defines heavy. Heavy does not just mean hardcore, nor does it necessarily mean screaming. This album is not heavy in that sense. It is thought provoking and the songs have a real reflective, and brooding atmosphere, that perhaps only Slayer are better at creating. The sound really captures the theme of manipulation. It really forces the listener to ask: "Who is the puppeteer?" I will do a review on each song. 01. Battery - this introduces the album. It gives an indication of the nature of this agressive topic. The acousic intro was very well thought out, much better than "Fight Fire With Fire"; that acoustic intro just was irrelevant to the song. In "Battery," the intro is, in a way, heavy, it hyptonises the listner, unpreparing them for the sonic assault that awaits. Very good thrashy drumming by Lars Ulrich. This song is almost flawless, save for the fact that James keeps on reminding us what the song is called at the end, and that gets tedious - 4.5/5. 02. Master Of Puppets - this song takes on drugs. I wrote an essay on this song and it's lyrical theme, at school, for English class, and got a really good mark. (I got 7.4/10, which is pretty good for Yr 11). It starts with a fast picked chromatic riff, which builds up to Kirk Hammett's riff. This just gets my really going. I had a fit the first time I heard it, it is so powerful. Then, a blues based power chord riff comes in for the chorus. The interlude is a musical description of the life of a drug user, or rather, a drug victim. It starts of fun, clean, easy going, then progresses onto depression, confusion, the the solo, everything is out of control. The solo is heavy, and fast, one of Kirk Hammett's best. The last verse without the singing is the classic part of this song. Kirk Hammett overdubbed a solo, but it is played backwards. It sounds chaotic, yet retreated and ignored. The laughter just sends a chill down my spine when I listen to it. Very good, except the drumming is disappointing, I wonder why Lars doesn't want to pound that double kick, and yes, I know I said it didn't need to be all that extreme to be good, but for goodness sakes, this is Thrash Metal, double kick at 208 beats per minute is an integral part of the genre - 4.5/5. 03. The Thing That Should Not Be - heavy and slow, it is an overlooked heavy song, not unlike Pantera's "Slaughtered" on the 1994 record "Far Beyond Driven." Perhaps the most atmospheric and underrated song on the album, it's lyrics are based on a book by H. P. Lovecraft, and also are about insanity. The drumming in the main riff bring out the brooding, waiting atmosphere, it really does seem that riff really is waiting on something, just what? What ever it is, it should not be. Kirk Hammett lets all hell break loose with his heavy, wah soaked solo. It really gets into your head and nerves. The 2 note trill while rocking on the wah pedal is really effective - 4.5/5. 04. Welcome Home (Sanitarium) - the 2nd song in 'tallica's '80s tradtion mellow musical masterpiece ("Fade To Black," "Welcome Home (Sanitarium)" and "One," the Latter being the best of the 3, and possible the best Metallica song ever recorded). The song starts with open E string and 12th string harmonics, closely followed by twildling around with notes lower down the neck. It is the sound of boredom. Of reflection. Of contemplation after being titled insane. This song perfectly follows on from "The Thing That Should Not Be," the lyrics are from the point of view of a person in a mental institution, and has an uncanny resemblance to the movie "One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest." The real gem in this song is Kirk. He is very melodic, and very fast. The moment the song goes into double time, you know the inmate is going to take action. The 3rd solo releases the fury of the inmate. The ending is huge. It destroys the walls of the place. But not completely. Damage, Inc does that. One of the best Metallica songs ever, almost flawless (I rarely give 5/5, this website only allows whole numbers, not decimals) - 5/5. 05. Disposable Heros - the version of manipulation here is Soldier consctription. So far, there have only been 2 staple thrashers on the album, this is the next. Unfortunatly, the album goes down hill for a little while with this and the next couple songs, which are unmemorable. Sure, the riffs are satisfying and fast, but not great. This is my opinion, but there is not much to say about this song - 2.5/10. 06. Leper Messiah - again, unmemorable but good. At the beginning there is a heavy riff quiet similar to "For Whom The Bell Tolls," with palm muted syncopated powerchord over a chromatic bass line, which sounds cool. 07. Orion - where to begin? I rate a song on if I like listening to it. If it sounds good. On atmosphere. If it's mad skills, great. In my opinion, the Metallica instrumentals are overrated. "The Call Of Ktulu" was downright boring as was "To Live Is To Die." But Orion is diffrent. It actually does fit in with the album. The solos are mainly melodic, and that starting riff just marches in. But the jewel in this song is Cliff Burton. Now where do I begin with this. When I read on the MoP booklet that there was a bass solo, I expected wild bass tapping, evil slaps and what not. I was surprise and dissapointed when I first heard it. But it was only when I finished listening to the album that I realised what I had heard. This slow, quiet bass solo is something special. This could have been a bass playing epic, but it just doesn't last long enough for me. The quietest (save perhaps the intro to "Damage Inc.", yes it's exciting, I keep mentioning that song, it's next) moment on the album, it is also the sweetest, and slowet moment. There is just something about the was Cliff plays that I can't explain that is really beautiful, it's one of those classic moments (others include Jimmy Page and "Stairway to Heaven, and my personal favourite, Dimebag Darrell and "Floods"), where the musician plays with soul. Too bad the rest of Orion isn't great. The song ends faster, and fades out, the end awaiting - 3.75/5. 08. Damage, Inc. - and what a end. No album has been ended so good. The best staple trasher on the album, and in the world of Thrash Metal, this is up there with tracks like Slayer's "Angel Of Death" and Sepultura's "Arise." It is another one that defines thrash. Fast, furious, aggresive, bad ass and quite heavy, (in the sense it has a brooding atmosphere). It starts of with volume swells and bass pedal effects. It follows on perfectly with "Orion." The purpose of "Orion" is now known. The sweet sound of the volume swells allows you to reflect, and for awile, just forget about the dark issue that is present. But it must be concluded. The beginning power chords accented by the drums wake you up. Then you are dragged into it by the build up of the fast beat. The lyrics are about ending the pain. Either rising up against with violence against the Master of the Puppets, or ending it all for your self with suicide. Kirk Hammet delivers a true metal style solo- it is mind boggling and and highlights what Kirk Hammett is (or was) about. He's been critizied for not been able to hold a bend or having a weak vibrato. But he is damn fast. Sure there's faster, but it's part of his style to have a fast run of notes. It's got a good aggressive bridge, (that riff is fun to play), and concludes with the verse, and damn, how that verse riff is just ripped up by the double kick. It is very satifying. (Check out Flotsam & Jetsam's version of this song, it's on "Metallic Attack - The Ultimate Tribute", and is overall pretty good). The only dissapointing thing about the song is the final measure. The abrupt ending. Why did the song, and the album have to end on a weak F5? Anyway, the song makes it clear, whatever the ending to the pain, damage will be incorporated. This song put a smile on my face, it is an epitome of the fast genre of thrash, it's got it all - 5/5. // 10

Lyrics: The album "Master Of Puppets" has a lyrical theme manipulation, which is really well captured by the music, and deals with drugs, abuse of power etc. James Hetfield sings much better in this song (he sings best of all in the album "...And Justice For All"), than in previous albums (his singing was terrible in "Kill'Em All") as he sings with more balls than ever before. Each song presents a version of manipulation, and is well ended by "Damage, Inc." // 10

Overall Impression: There is (or was) a real musical chemistry most of us would envy between these guys. Especially between Lars Ulrich and front man James Hetifield, with real super songwriting magic happening, with tracks such as "Battery," and on other albums, like "Blackened." These 4 talented men drew on from experience, perhaps not just from their lives, but from literature and most importantly, imagination. It is let down by poor production, with the bass being shunned and the songs lack bass. If a digitally remastered version came out, I'd make an effort to get a job to earn money to buy it. Well, a good album is made up of good songs. Best songs: Battery, Master Of Puppets, The Thing That Should Not Be, Welcome Home (Sanitarium), Damage, Inc. Oh, ok, why not, and Orion... RIP Cliff Burton. // 10

Master Of Puppets Reviewed by: MetallicaSG, on september 17, 2003

Sound: This record is a rich tapestry of metal sound. From blisteringly fast tracks like "Battery" and "Damage Inc." to the mellower "Welcome Home(Sanitarium)," and all those in between, this album shows Metallica's true creative power. Musically, the best track on the entire album is an instrumental called "Orion." This was a maturation of the raw sound that Metallica produced on Kill 'Em All and Ride the Lightning. // 10

Lyrics: James showcased his lyrical genius with this album, and every song, with the exception of "Battery," "Damage Inc.," and "Orion," conveys the emotion and feeling that the words themselves are supposed to. In "Master of Puppets," you can feel James' helplessness in his alcohol addiction. It is easy to empathize with the desperate soldier in "Disposable Heroes," and "Leper Messiah"'s dripping sarcasm is palpable. James sings with a voice that is perfectly suited to the style of music he performs, and his lyrics and his vocals mesh perfectly with the music being played. // 10

Overall Impression: Master of Puppets is by far my favorite album of all time. Few records come close to the power and feeling of this album. By far the most impressive songs I have ever heard are off this album, like "Master of Puppets" and "Orion." I don't have any problems with this record, and if it were stolen, I'd immediately go out and buy a new one, THEN look for the sucker who stole it and take it back with liberal use of force. I recommend that anyone reading this review who does not own this album should go out right now and buy it. // 10

Master Of Puppets Reviewed by: unregistered, on august 17, 2004

Sound: Metallica metal at it's best. The potential we see in "Ride The Lightning" has been reached with this album. Metallica seem to be in their element here, and are doing what they do best. I'm not just talking about Kirk Hammett's truly inspirational solos, of which this album has in abundance. The drumming is good with Lars making a real effort and Cliff provides some truly amazing bass, as well as a highly impressive bass solo in the instrumental "Orion." // 10

Lyrics: The album seems to follow a similar theme through out. The lyrics are truly impressive and also quite poetic. From the cover song "Master Of Puppets" which speaks of a drug addiction, to tracks like "Disposable Heroes" that criticizes how people can be so expandable in wars. The singing is very sharp too, and goes well with the powerful guitar riffs. Hetfield's voice isn't quite as refined as in some of the later albums but it still manages to hold out well. // 10

Overall Impression: Master of Puppets is quite possibly the best Heavy Metal album ever created. It doesn't have the sheer diversity of other albums like "Appetite For Destruction" by GNR, but the songs it does have are so focused that they leave a real impression on their listener. It's widely considered to be the best work from Metallica, despite not being quite as accessible as the black album. The songs are impressive, great riffs and some great solos through-out. Most of them are over 6 minutes long, so despite the album only having 8 tracks it's almost 60 minutes in length. It doesn't have any real downfalls, as all of the material is so well thought-out and presented. If it was stolen I'd buy it again on the same day if I could, I just can't imagine my collection without it. // 10

Master Of Puppets Reviewed by: mrantony, on november 10, 2003

Sound: This is definetely the album that will turn you into a disciple of Metallica, as you listen to the opening track "Battery" there is a very spanish feel with 5 different guitars pulling you into a false sense of security when they rip out the distortion and James Hetfield breaks into a killer thrash riff. At this point you're thinking "shit.......this is cool, heavy shit!" and you will be glad to know that feeling lasts the whole album.Riff after riff after riff after fucking riff make this a very guitar driven album as usual with "Metallica". The bass is pounding in the background by Cliff complimenting the drums which are great. The song "Orion" is the instrumental which is very bass driven and is one of the highlights of the album but can not top the moment you here "Master of puppets" the song... The intro is nothing short of stunning and the whole thing is breath-taking with one of Kirk Hammett's best solo's ever! The next best song in my opinion is "disposable heroes" which goes back to their more thrashy stuff and then there is "welcome home(sanitarium)" another false sense of security song. Overall the sound is simply amazing... // 10

Lyrics: The singing is one of the best things about the album, James' powerful grunt is perfectly suited for the album. The lyrics are brilliant and varied from the story of drink ruling his life in "master.." and the power hungry "leper messiah". // 8

Overall Impression: To conclude this is definetely in their top two with "...and justice for all" I would definitely recomend this album to anyone who loves metal and if stolen I would buy it again for sure. LOG OFF, GET UP, GO TO HMV WITH 10 QUID AND ASK FOR THE GREATEST METAL ALBUM......EVER!!! // 10

Master Of Puppets Reviewed by: black_sabbath, on december 28, 2005

Sound: The greatest heavy metal album of all time. Raw in sound, if you have'nt heard it then you are illiterate as far as heavy metal is concerned. Metallica were officially the undisputed kings of metal when this album released. Master Of Puppets came out when sissi metal bands like Bon Jovi used to be happening. Metallica's music reflected the way they talked and lived. They never moved with the trends. Metallica would never put on make up and go to the stage like Kiss or Zepplin. They were and are the masters of metal. This album is just another example of Metallica's sheer aggresive talent. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics had everything in it whether it is the title track Master Of Puppets or the rebellious Welcome Home (Sanitarium). No band will ever touch the legacy of James, Lars, Kirk or Newsted. Jamez is argubally the most influential figures of metal. His voice is one of the best in the history of metal along with Lemmy of Motorhead. // 10

Overall Impression: This album is right up there with the best in terms of lirics, vocals drums, guitar you name it. The greatest song of the album will have to be Master Of Puppets. But the other songs like Damage Inc. and Sanitarium are brilliant too. If you lose this album or it some how gets misplaced or if you dont have the album you better got the stores and buy it. This is one of the greatest if not the greatest album in the history of metal. // 10

Master Of Puppets Reviewed by: unregistered, on march 18, 2004

Sound: Master Of Puppets had a really good overall sound all the way through, though the production isn't quite on par with the Black album. Every song is built around an amazing riff. Battery kicks off the record with a flourish of lightning speed guitar riffs and some pounding bass lines. The classsic title track is next, and it contains one of the greatest riffs Metallica has ever come up with. There are two solos in the song, one slow one and one fast one. The album continues with the great riffs and solos through The Thing That Should Not Be, Sanitarium, Disposable heroes, and eper Messiah. The instrumental, Orion, is the second to last track. It is a beautifully composed piece of music, one of Cliff Burton's masterpieces. Definitely one of the best instrumental tracks I've ever heard. The album closer is in the same mold as Battery, with a soft intro placed before fast, heavy, pulse pounding guitars and bass. // 8

Lyrics: James Hetfield does a great job with keeping a consistenttheme throughout this album. Most songs deal with the concept of power (Master Of Puppets, Battery,Damage inc.) insanity (Sanitarium) or corruption (Leper Messiah, Disposable heroes). Overall, James' singing skills on the album are great, but he hasn't quite developed the range for some of the higher pitched notes he tries to hit. His singing is a lot better than on Kill Em All, marginall better than on Ride The Lightning, and marginally worse than on Black album. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall, I feel that this is Metallica's best work. There are no bad songs on the disc, which makes it a little better than Ride The Lightning (which had 2 songs in Escape and Trapped Under Ice that many people believe are not quite on par with the greats) I love the impressive riffage, and as a guitarist, I would love to be able to play any of these songs. This album is a metal classic and is a must buy for any fan of hard rock/metal. // 10

Master Of Puppets Reviewed by: iron maiden rox, on july 17, 2004

Sound: This is by far Metallica's best, the beautiful sound from Hammett's guitar when he hits the solos is just un-beliavable. Cliff's bass is just well. Cliff Burton must I say anymore? Lars's drums are also superb, for someone who has stuck with a band for 23 years he has not ever given below 100% effort. In this album he has giving 110%. Then there is Hetfield, he sings like no man has sung before. His lyrics are a masterpiece. 4 great musicians and put together they are great, no wait they are Metallica. // 10

Lyrics: 01. Battery: excellent lyrics to go with Hammett's speed guitar. 02. Master Of Puppets: one of the best songs ever, it took me ages before I understood all the lyrics, as you can see it is about drugs. But even still the lyrics blow you away, especially when James shouts "master!" Then repeats it whilst fading out before Hammett hits it with a solo.(11/10) 03. The Thing That Should Not Be: great song, great lyrics, great sound, when live it is even better. 04. Welcome Home Sanitarium: Top Class! 05. Disposable Heroes: yeah it's brill too. 06. Leper Messiah: the lyrics and the guitar couldn't have fit better, it's like a jigsaw. 07. Orion: it's instrumentals like this that make you wonder who possesed metallica's brains and made St. Anger, no solos and no instrumentals. If Metallica made more of these then they would certainly be alot better. 08. Damage Inc: the long intro is worth it's wait before Hetfield screams down the mic and blesses your ears. // 10

Overall Impression: If it could talk it would say "buy me" but more of a scream "buy me!" Then it would have a wee solo which would convince you then back to a drum fill before "buy me, steal me, download me, just f--ing listen to me!" // 10

Master Of Puppets Reviewed by: xLeD-zEpPeLiNx, on november 10, 2004

Sound: This album is a great one. The sound is the propably there best with James's vocals on Orion (joking) and Hammit's kick ass solo in Sanitarium. Disposible Heros is a kick ass hard, speed metal song with talkign about the war and how teens then were basically only used for war in all. Battery is the first song on the album has a very fats pase and his vocals are speedy. I'd agree this the best Metallica album for sound. // 10

Lyrics: Well most of the lyrics dont really mean any thign except for Disposiable Heros and Orion (joking again). That's another thign the lyrics just sound good with the guitars so whatcha gunna do. James Hetfeild is probably one of the best singers of the 80s. I know you think he doesn't have a good voice but he does becuase he makes his voice go with the song. // 8

Overall Impression: This is f--king amazing this one album does not compare with any of the metal bands in the 80's. I'd say the best songs on the album are Disposible Heros, Sanitarium, Damage Inc and Battery. I love how it's faster then like the Black Album and after that excpet St. Anger but I love how Metallica's albums all ways sound different. I hate how it was there biggest album so every one thinks how the best Metallica song is Master Of Puppets well it aint. If it was stolen from me of course I wud buy it again. Like I said it's awsome. // 10

Master Of Puppets Reviewed by: Metalology, on march 17, 2006

Sound: Wow, I was in grade 4 when I first heard 'Master Of Puppets'. I thought it was pretty cool and all but I couldn't truly comprehend what I was listening to. It wasn't until grade 8 when I gave it another listen that I was completely blown away. Metallica really pushed there melodic ability and truly polished off what I think they were trying to do in Ride The Lightning. My impression is that the sound is amazing, from the galloping riffs in 'Battery' to the quiet, little intro of 'Damage Inc.' it's just awesome. But, I have one thing to bitch about, where the hell is the kick drum? I can barely hear it! It just happens to be the hardest parts that are hard to hear. I just wish the kick was more like ...And Justice For All. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics are totaly kickass. They talk about war from a soldiers perspective (Disposable Heroes), TV evangelists (Leper Messiah), mental patients (Sanitarium), drug addiction (Master Of Puppets) and so on and so forth. But, the main idea is power and it's abuse. As far as singer skills go, James has pretty agressive voice. I like his voice on Master of Puppets far better than Ride the Lightning or Kill 'Em All. This may have been due to production quality. James can still sing today, but, he's lost the agression of youth. As far as this album goes for lyrics and singing, top notch. // 10

Overall Impression: This was the first metal album that I had ever listened to and it's still as good as when I first heard it. I think that people who say it's overated have just over listened it and have grown tired of it. It's a big step forward since the Kill 'Em All days. Still full of energy and agression yet they've push way forward in the musical ability department. Melody is a key aspect of this album without watering down its heaviness. I loved all the songs on this album but the song that impressed me the most are 'Dispiable Heroes'. I love pretty much everything musicaly about this album. I just wish production had been better and could have brought out the lower end, such as the kick and bass more. If it were lost/stolen I'd definately buy it again. If you don't have it now, go out and get it. // 10

Master Of Puppets Reviewed by: i_am_iron_man09, on march 28, 2006

Sound: The sound of this album is classic metal, in short. The levels are set so that a lot of the higher sounds come out, without quite as much low end. But make no mistake, this is still a hard rockin' album. James Hetfield's voice goes well with how the guitars sound. It also has a balance between all-out thrash and other music (Sanitarium). This album was recorded at Sweet Silence Studios in Copenhagen, DK. Ride the Lightning (their second album) was also recorded there. Those two albums are probably their best (my opinion). And, as most know, Cliff Burton died on tour while promoting the album. Cliff brought more to that album than most people know. The really good songs, were written, in part, by him. RIP Cliff. // 10

Lyrics: 01. Battery - the opening track of the album, and possibly one of the best. The singing is capital, and the lyrics fit the feeling of the song. It's lines like that in the entire song that make it such an awesome track. 02. Master Of Puppets - the title track. This song deals with addiction and the like. It talks about how you can get to a point when something controls you, and eventually kills you. Another great song off a great album. 03. The Thing That Should Not Be - I will be honest and tell you that I have absolutely no idea what this song is talking about. I think it's talking about some sort of monster or something. It's still a great song. 04. Welcome Home (Sanitarium) - this is the slow song of the album, but certainly not the weak point of it. It is sung from the perspective of a man in an asylum. He struggles with wanting to be free from the demons that torment him from within. 05. Disposably Heroes - this is my favorite song on the whole album! It's obviously an anti-war song, and talks about the terrors of war and young people dying in battle for their country. The way it is sung, you can tell that they are passionate about what they speak. 06. Leper Messiah - this is the only song on the entire album that I don't like. But, it does speak of valid points of false faith in something that so many people believe in so blindly. 07. Orion - you can't really rate this song on lyrics, because it's an instrumental. If it had lyrics, I'll bet they'd be pretty cool, though. 08. Damage Inc. - my second favorite off of the album. This is another anti-war song. This song speaks of resisting no matter how hard it may be. Overall, a lyrically powerful album. These guys know what they're talking about, and how to put it into words. // 9

Overall Impression: Wow, there is so much to say about this album. It has been held responsible by some as the turinging point of heavy metal. It was their first album to really get recognized legitimately. I can pick favorites of the songs, but the fact is, they are all really really really really really uber good songs. Rock on Metallica, I love you guys! // 10

Master Of Puppets Reviewed by: boyan89, on june 24, 2006

Sound: The sound on this album is astonishing. The guitars are overwhelming, James and Kirk are probably one of the best duo in lead/rhythm guitarists or the best. The drums flabbergasted me and got me going crazy when I heard the insane drum beats in all the song, but holy shit Lars can play the drums. Cliff where to begin. He is probably one of the best bassist's around today or in the history of music RIP Cliff. This is probably the 2nd most heaviest Metallica album (Justice is in 1st). // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics on this album are pure gold. Man James can sing he doesn't sing about what you would normally hear in today's music but he is singing about other stuff and trying to make sense out of his lyrics. This album is one of the best lyrical albums in heavy metal and rock ever made and it deserves # 1 even if it a classic album. // 10

Overall Impression: This album cannot compare to any other artists because Metallica basically invented trash and heavy metal. I love every single moment of this album, James singing, Kirk playing those amazing solos, Lars pounding the shit out of the drums and Cliff just plays his ass off when it comes to the bass. So it comes to the point where I am asked if this album were stolen/lost would I buy it again? well of course I would! If this album were stolen I would beat the living shit out of the person who stole it and if it was lost I'm charging to the store and buying it. Get this album you will not regret it. // 10

Master Of Puppets Reviewed by: .Blitzkrieg., on october 21, 2006

Sound: In my opinion, I think this album had the most hardest sound of all Metallica's albums. You can very well hear the solos of both guitar and bass. I've seen many bands where they don't make a good impression on stage, but in "Master Of Puppets", Metallica made their stage and their band perfomance awesome, along with their music. // 9

Lyrics: Of all albums, this album has got to be one of James' best singing in it, besides "The Black Album" which showed his true singing skills, but in this album, James really showed it, he put the feeling and emotion in the lyrics where they make you feel the song and understand the song. // 10

Overall Impression: Master of Puppets was my first Metallica album that I got for my birthday. The first song I heard, which was "Battery", I immediately fell in love with Metallica. What I love about it is how the songs tell some kind of story in them, for example in "Master Of Puppets", it explains this kind of power that controls you and in "One", it explains a wounded soldier who has has come from the war but feels somehow forgotten. If I had lost this album, I'd scream, cry, and go crazy. // 10

Master Of Puppets Reviewed by: zope, on april 29, 2009

Sound: First off, this album came to be the third of a band that at the time was still becoming together. After kill em all, metallica achieved a more skilled and musically better record with ride the lightining. Master Of Puppets following the structure of ride the lightning came to be the peak of cliff burton's playing, the best guitar solos achieved by kirk hammett this far, more complex riffs and a well barked voice by james hetfield, and a better definition on the drum parts achieved by lars ulrich. It's a very similar to ride the lightning but there's a more mature feeling in general to the whole music. If you compare the sound to the black album, it's not that good but as a sequence they definitely got better from the past. They also got better in they playing and style. This album is not only a thrash metal classic and standard but to the whole metal genre. Shreding, basslines and bass grooves are all the highest point in metallicas carreer for me. Voice, soloing, druming and singing are also great but they did better on other albums. // 10

Lyrics: I'm going to pick this section to discuss every song individually. 01.Battery: a great intro with acoustic guitars that grows into a smashing sound of disorted harmonized guitars. After some power chords are played, and the main riff is played a couple of times by riff master hetfield until the rest of the band gets in, this is a superfast riff which kicks off the record in a powerful headbanging way, james starts singing and right away you feel a more mature singer than in previous records barking off but permiting the understanding of the lyrics. The song is about positive and negative and how both compliment themselves and how a direct relation between both exists, how the positive and negative energy relate to one another and transform. This can be seen as happening in one person throughout the song, and this person being charged with a lot of energy. The song goes on for two more choruses and verses until a interlude comes in. A mighty riff is played acompanied by some neatly worked drums and a kick ass solo by kirk using his mighty wah pedal is played. After the solo, one simple but very powerful riff (maybe the most powerful riff by metallica) gets played. Another verse, another chorus and the powerful riff again to close the song. 02.Master Of Puppets: probably the best song in the record. Starts of with some chord smashing and a simple but very fast riff. In this song the basslines are a lot more notable than in battery, you can hear cliff pounding during the whole song with a strong sound. Later another very fast riff is played following the main verse riff. All this riffs are fast and have to be played faster to give a downstroke sound. Then the bridge (come crawling faster part) which involves one of the most complex riffs ending with a harmonized scale followed by the chorus. Another verse, bridge chorus are played to end with a silence. After this silence a complex clean part is played and this beatufull harmonized part that builds into a mellow solo by james and the harmonized part is played again. Then the clean part gets dissorted and builds up to a slow but heavy riff and some sick lyrics. This builds into a fast awesome solo by kirk. Another verse bridge chorus are played near the end and the song closes with the main riff and some evil laughter courtesy of James. The lyrics in the song are about the control something can have over ones life and how this control turns selfdestructive instead of wonderful as one could expect. It is said that James wrote this song about drug addiction. 03.The Thing That Should Not Be: this is "the heavyest number known to mankind" (Newsted Seattle 1989). Starts of with a heavy chord prgoresion played in a clean tone but that sounds creepy and dark. Then everything gets dissorted and evethough it's a slow tempo song it is just dark and evil. I play this song in Drop D Tunning, I think that Metallica does so too, I'm not sure, but it brings a very heavy sound.All the riffs are slow palmuted chord progressions. There are three verses and choruses follwed by a sick wah, scratching evil solo by Kirk, not one of his best but definitely well suited for the song, then another verse chorus and another wah scratching sound to close the song. The lyrics are about a book and it narrated the story in the book, the song is actualy tells a horror story and the music acompanies ands builds the perfect mood for the case. 04.Welcome Home (Sanitarium): this is the second ballad put out by metallica. It's pretty similar in structure to Fade to Black (the first ballad from previous record Ride The Lightning), The song starts with some natural harmonics and arpeggios and a clean solo that joins the band into the chorus. Once again in this song the bass can be heard neatly following the guitars. This is a virtue from Cliff Burton that has to be pointed out in this part of te album, Cliff can play as a company or a compliment to the drums, as he can accompany and play along with the Guitars, he can also have his own independent part that merges with the music and builds a mood to the song. In this song he plays independently and is heard doing similar arpeggios to those of the guitar. James sings the lyrics with some feelings not as strong as the ones in Fade To Black, and diverging from Fade To Black this song has a lyrical chorus. Between verses there is another beautiful solo by Kirk similar to the one in the intro but giving a depressing mood to the song. The lyrics in this first part of the song are tellig of a story of life in a mental institution and how depressing and damaging to the patient this can be. Then as it is common in Metallica ballads from the time everything gets f--ked up and a heavy riff is played, some lyrics from James that now turned into anger, and a fast kick ass headbanging solo comes in, some harmonizd parts are played at the middle section and the ending solo followed by some chord smashing. 05.Dissposable Heroes: Metallica always tries to have a critic against war and this is the song dessignated for it in this record. It's fast intro offers a headbanging riff. The intros in songs, albums, books etc, are for the listener/reader to prepare for what it's comming, and to invite the listener/reader for the contents of the song, this intro accomplishes this stting the mood for a kick ass song. This is the song that I like the least in the album, but it is more than a kick ass song. After the intro a fast palm muted riff is played, contrary to master of puppets the riffs in this song are played using both down and upstrokes due to the speed of them. The left hand job in these riffs is realtively simple, can be done with one finger, but the right hand does some awesome muted thirds, the chorus is probably simpler but it gives a great feel to the lyrics. The riff is joined to itself by some fast right hand action. This song is an outstading drum perfomance in the intro and the middle section. The middle section has a powerfull riff before turning into the solo. Once again this songs offers a great Cliff performance folloing the guitars this time. After the middle section Kirk performs a great guitar solo, repetitive at some parts but giving an excelent performance. After the solo the songs has another chorus verse and the ong ends with the fast main riff. The lyrics in the song deals with the life of young soldiers sent to battle and being injured or killed. 06.Lepper Messiah: probably one of the best lyrics on the record beign about how religious leaders can manipulate their parishoners into giving their money for their benefit instead of the benefit of the church or "religious means". Other interpretations of the song may deal with hypocresy and manipulation in general. The song has a smashing intro building into the main riff and a heavy bassline being complemented with some chords played in the guitar. This song is also very heavy without being fast. James sings with anger and his powerfull shouts are complemented with some backup vocals giving the feel of a strong statement. The song has a fast middle part which includes the solo which gives a great perfomance of arpeggios, not only the common pull offs and hammer ons. The song continues with a fast chorus and a fast riff with the shouts of "Lie" slowing down to the main riff and ending the song. 07.Orion: this is probably their best instrumental. As other instrumentals the bassline is basically an entire solo. The riffs are simple but powerfull making you want to headbang throughout the whole heavy parts. At the middle part they build a mellow section having a bassline setting the mood and the guitars play an awesome harmonized part. It is said the cliff would teach james to work with harmonies and this is noted on how everybody joins in to complement cliff. There is a bass solo a guitar solo and a heavy ending riff. 08.Damage Inc.: this song deals with destruction in general. As it was a custom of metallica back in the day, the closing track is a fast as hell kick ass song. There is a bass intro and then a strong chord smashing and a fast simple riff gets in. The lyrics are barked with anger and energy. There is a middle section that involves a great riff. Every riff in this song involves fast thirds which is a great aspect of thrash. The solo is fast as the song and ends back at the chorus. The song ends with the same chord smashing from the start and taht's how the record ends. // 10

Overall Impression: The record definitely is metallica's summit in thrash metal. The album is the most complex composition in thrash metal to that day. They harmonized well, the basslines where awesome (every bass player of any genre should play this record as a practice), drumms got better and lyrics are more mature. This is definitely my all time favorite record. Every metal fan or rock in general fan should listen to this record and appreciate this for what it is. I would like to close saying that all of this is my opinion and my interpretation of the record, it doesn't have to suite your opinion. Song meanings are to be interpreted by each listener depending on their mood and the things going on with their lives at the moment, so excuse me if my interpretation is not yours. // 10

Master Of Puppets Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 19, 2004

Sound: The sound on this album killer; nothing but straight up Metallica style metal. The guitar work on this album is incredible, not just Kirk Hammet's solos (which are always phenomenal), but what impressed me most was James Hetfield's rhythm work. The riffs in "Master Of Puppets" are amazing, and other songs feature amazing rhytym work. My personal favorite is "Orion," which displays some killer riffing, not to mention the fact that it is an awesome instrumental track. "Disposable Heroes" and "Battery" are definitely two of their best speed metal songs, which stick out on this album. // 10

Lyrics: James Hetfield is a great metal singer who writes some great metal songs, as is evident on Master Of Puppets. As a guitar player, I don't pay attention to lyrics as much as I do the guitar work, but the lyrics on this album are Metallica's best. People also have to take into account the lyrics that Hetfield is singing while playing awesome riffs at the same time, which is difficult to do. // 8

Overall Impression: A must buy for not just Metallica fans, but metal fans in general. Guitarists, bass players, drummers, singers, and just music fans in general can appreciate this album for its music and its message. Definitely, in my opinion, Metallica's best album, one that is one of the greatest metal records ever. Go do yourself a favor and buy this album if you already haven't, it is worth whatever you spend. // 10

Master Of Puppets Reviewed by: unregistered, on october 08, 2005

Sound: this is Metallica's most futuristic sounding album. I don't know why but it makes a shivering feeling come over me as I listen to James Hetfield's deep and dark emotions brewing inside of him. By futuristic I think I mean most eerie or deep album. It is by far my favorite of all Metallica albums. I think this album is when metallica maturity arose above the guitar driven "Kill 'Em All" and good but deppressing "Ride The Lightning." // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics were very deep and meaning full in this album. I think Metallica showed its true colors on how they can wright not just party music and guitar/drum drivin styles to a dark, menacing, eerie, out to get the next unsuspecting victem, stlye of music that you can still head band to. James' vocals are top notch and should not be apreciated by metal and rock fans but to alot of other individuals involded in different genres. // 10

Overall Impression: Nothing compares to this album it is simply the best metal album aorund and I can doubt anyone will highly disagree with me on this. Some of the bests on here would be the teriable controlling addiction of Master Of Puppets how this master pulls you down and totures you if you don't obey. The thrashing intensity of the death machine "Battery" out to kill anyone in sight. Damage Inc is a mix between torture and hate with intence guitar licks. Sanitarium for its false sence of sercurity and insanity tapping at your windowing making you reach into your soul and escape its growing trechory and lust. And last but not least Orion the mellow instrumental with a bass driven riff and mutiple guitars flowing into a masterized bass solo that leaves you stiff in your chair breathing deeply. // 10

Master Of Puppets Reviewed by: tml492, on january 31, 2006

Sound: As most people compliment and write there reviews because they like the album, I really didn't enjoy the sound quality of this album. I thought it was weak and no where near as good as there other albums. Although "Master Of Puppets" is in fact one of my favorite Metallica songs, I didn't enjoy the rest of the album too much. // 7

Lyrics: Although I didn't like the sound as much, I thought the lyrics were quite amazing. They were very strong and great. Aside from all the screaming in some of there songs, you should look up the lyrics and sing along with the songs. They are really quite impressive. I enjoyed them a lot. // 9

Overall Impression: Like I said, I think that this album has the potential of being a lot better. As a Metallica fan, I was pretty disappointed at what I heard. I didn't like this album anywhere as much as I liked "Ride The Lightning" and "Kill Em' All" and the rest. If this CD were to be stolen or lost, I would probably go out and by another one of their albums. To me, the only real song I enjoyed was "Master Of Puppets." I thought the guitar playing was fantastic. Go and and see if you feel the same way about the album. // 7

Master Of Puppets Reviewed by: SethMegadefan, on february 24, 2006

Sound: If there's a word to describe Metallica's genre, by the time "Master Of Puppets" was released it would not be thrash metal, nor power metal, nor even heavy metal. Metallica expanded on their sound they discovered in "Ride The Lightning," and with "Master Of Puppets", morphed themselves into a genre known simply as "metal". No other labels before it could possibly describe their music best; metal is as specific as you can get, because Metallica, at the height of their career, were too diverse to be justifiably placed in one certain category. Metal is what Metallica do best, and "Master Of Puppets" is probably their best representation of them doing what they do best, well, best. Though I'll admit that "Ride The Lightning" was better, "Master Of Puppets" seems to cover more ground and expand on what was lacking in "Ride The Lightning." The songs are generally longer, more intricate, have longer instrumental sections, and are overall just more complex. Whether or not that's a good thing, that's up to you to decide, but there's no denying that "Master Of Puppets" was perhaps the band's most experimental yet well-working album. Some songs, such as "Disposable Heroes" or "Damage Inc." still retain the band's classic thrash quality, while others, such as "Orion" or "Welcome Home (Sanitarium)", seem to embark on epic and monumental instrumental sections, and basically touch on what little was missing from "Ride The Lightning." From thrashy head-bang fests to epic super-songs to just plain fun old rock, "Master Of Puppets" takes Metallica to a whole new level. // 9

Lyrics: Another great thing about the album's advancement since "Ride The Lightning" is the lyrics. Hetfield has obviously matured in his lyric writing, and it is evident in certain passages of perhaps some of the most touching pieces Metallica have ever written, such as "Welcome Home (Sanitarium)." The album's title track is a wonderful and monumental album highlight, not only musically, but lyrically as well, as the song's actual meaning (being controlled by drugs) is hidden behind a delightfully twisted theme about puppets and humiliation. Definitely one of the greatest pieces in the band's career, no doubt. // 9

Overall Impression: Overall, as I stated before, I thought "Ride The Lightning" was better, but "Master Of Puppets" is basically the enhanced, remastered version. Arguably the band's most solid work, the album is high up on my recommendation list. If you're a fan of diverse albums as opposed to consistent, themed works, then this album is definitely for you, because never before have 8 tracks seemed like 8 completely separate albums. // 10

Master Of Puppets Reviewed by: mccabe24, on march 09, 2006

Sound: This is the album that made Metallica the greatest meatal band of all time. Each song has an amazing tone and a great solo. There aren't many albums that have a great solo on every song on an album, but Master Of Puppets is one of them. Loaded with 8 tracks that will have any metal fan banging his head, Master Of Puppets is considered by many to be the best Metallica ablum. According to the book 'The Top 100 Metal Albums', Master Of Puppets is the greatest metal album of all time. // 10

Lyrics: I don't think James Hetfeild is the most talented singer when it comes to singing melodies, but he is the best at what he does. All of the songs (with the exception of the instrumental 'Orion') have the standard Metallica lyrics that we all love. The lyrics fit perfectly with the thunderous riffs and blazing solos. They go together and create the benchmark of a great metal album. // 9

Overall Impression: The thing that is the most meaningful about this album is that it was the last album that bass player Cliff Burton did with Metallica. Shortly after recording the album, Burton was killed when the band's tour buss tipped and crushed him. Burton went out in style, though. Bass players that I have talked to have said that this is their favorite album for bass music. We salute you, Cliff! // 10

Master Of Puppets Reviewed by: Metallifan2k5, on march 29, 2006

Sound: Alright I'll try to get straight to the point on this one. This is a really great album, if not, Metallica's best. This is last we see of the late great Cliff Burton as most Metallica fans know that he passed away that year, just shortly after the album was released (RIP). Okay on with the review, this album features a slightly different, more mature Metallica as thier sound is no longer sounding so "muddy" like ride the lightning or kill em all. This album delivers a knockout punch to any Metallica fan out there, and even if your not a fan (for those of you whove only heard St. Anger) it'll make you one. Believe me. // 10

Lyrics: Alright, I found the lyrics interesting as I usually do with metallica. As most fans know James Hetfield does most of the writing and as usual he delivered many a good write on this album. As I usually like to do I'm going to give you a break down of what exactly makes this album a masterpiece: 01. Battery - when I first heard this one I was kind of confused, because I recalled hearing a song with a similar sort of intro with the acoustic guitars (Fight Fire With Fire), but as I listened to this increasingly cool track, I found it was far from FFWF. Just when you think they'll drag the acoustics out more, boom, they burst into high octane thrash metal. This song stood out to me and remains to be a favourite. 02. Master Of Puppets - a masterpiece to say the least. This song is about drug addiction, plain and simple. This song has to have some of the best guitar arrangements I've heard from Metallica, going from hard thrash down to James' softer solo, then blows into an absolutely sick solo by Kirk and then back to thrash. Wicked track and still an all-time fav. 03. The Thing That Should Not Be - a few people out there may want to shoot me for this but I did not like this song one bit. I don't know what it is but ever since I first heard this track I just didn't like it. In fact I like the S&M version better (I hated that too). The only plus is Cliffs' bass playing. 04. Welcome Home (Sanitarium) - a really cool and trippy intro to this one. Another great tune although I'm really not sure what it's about. 05. Disposable Heros - a song about war! Great tune and a long one at that (as long as Puppets if not longer). Another great solo by Kirk. 06. Leper Messiah - this was another track that I didn't really like (at first), but unlike "the song that should not be" (no that's not a typo), I actually grew to like this tune, especially after hearing it live, and it has a pretty cool solo. 07. Orion - out of all thier instrumental tunes, this one takes the cake. Over 8 mins long and not the least bit drawn out, it has an absolutley amazing bass solo to it (sorry I'm Cliff biased I really am) not to mention amazing guitar work by both James and Kirk. 08. Damage Inc. - great track but man that intro almost made me change songs when I first got to this one, but damn I'm glad I stuck it through. This track goes from strange to wicked if you can stand that intro. Great song and a great closer to an absolutley wicked album. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall, I found this album to kick as much ass as any of that new shit that's going around right now. Seriously, if your one of those nu-metal punks who think screaming is hardcore, go out and buy this one, this is real metal, real metal with real solos and real drumming and omg real singing. I mean come on, anyone who's heard of Metallica has had to have heard this. If anyone had the gall to actually take this album away from me, lets just say they won't be walking right for a good long while. Another awesome album by a killer (and real) band. // 10

Master Of Puppets Reviewed by: njustice4all, on december 27, 2006

Sound: The sound is so clear and heavy in this album. It sounds so great for 20 years ago (1986). This is definetly Meatllica's best album from the '80s. Their first two albums, Kill 'Em All and Ride The Lightning were also very good. But they cannot be compared to Master Of Puppets. There is one song on the CD just like on any other Metallca CD that is entirely instrumental. That song being 'Orion'. Which kicks major ass, that is what Metaellica is known for. There are on other songs on the album which start out with a kind of lame acoustic guitar intro, but after a minute or two into the song it really picls up the pass and becomes a real good head-banger. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are absolutely amazing int all of the songs. They are really well thought out and sometimes you could relate to them. It goes with Kirk's awesome metal riffs so well that it is almost unbelievable, when you first crank up the volume. James once again does fantastic and executes the worlds perfectly with all of the 8 songs on this must own CD. // 10

Overall Impression: You can't even start to compare this Metallica album to anything that they have ever done before because this album contains so much kick ass entertainment. It is truely amazing though because they fit so much head-bangin music into less then an hour. The most impresive song in this album would of course have to be 'Battery'. It starts with an acoustis guitar intro, but then after a couple of minutes it really becomes freakin heavy and louder than sin, itself. // 10

Master Of Puppets Reviewed by: Nightstrider, on may 09, 2007

Sound: Master of Puppets is composed of mid-paced thrash, in the vain of bands like Megadeth and Anthrax. While it doesn't possess the technicality of, say, Artillery, or the brutality of Slayer, or even the sheer onslaught of thrash produced by such greats as Exodus or Coroner, it does have its own charms. For one, it is highly memorable, if not innovative. This is usually the one that grabs kids and drags them down deeper into the world of metal. There aren't really any frills or gimmicks here, just that catchy kind of thrash that Metallica became known for, and you can tell. This is something of a double edged sword in fact, as this album really loses it's shine after your initial listens. There aren't really any innovations here, because that's not really the purpose of this album. This could be fairly accurately described as "Pop Metal" actually, both for it's now legendary reputation, and for the fact that it is relatively simplistic when compared with the works of Metallica's peers. The real objective of this album (or perhaps that was merely the end result) was to enamour the media to the previously alienating rawness of thrash metal. In reality, all this really did was coozy Metallica up with the mainstream, and spawn a generation of kids hailing this as "THE GREATEST ALBUM EVAH!!!" (said kids being the same ones who hail Slipknot as the most brutal death metal in existence). This is the first Metallica album truly written without Dave Mustaine and it shows. Gone is the memorable barrage of riffs, instead to be replaced by all too frequently repetative song structures and an uninspired instrumental. That isn't to say there aren't some good songs on here ("Battery", "Sanitarium" and "Disposable Heroes" come to mind), but a lot of songs are bogged down by shameless repetition and blandness. // 7

Lyrics: Generally, the lyrics are alright. They won't win any Pulitzer's, but the aggressive lyrics of songs such as "Battery" match the mood, at least. There's even some Lovecraft thrown in (The Thing That Should Not Be) for good measure, and they have some nice rhyme schemes going throughout the songs. Besides, it's not like anyone listens to thrash, of any variety, for literary enrichment. // 7

Overall Impression: Overall, it would not be inaccurate to label this Metallica's true "sell-out album". This is where they generally simplified their previous style of mid-paced thrash into a form that was more easily digestible, and therefore more suited for mass consumption. I have to say that, while I still do enjoy this album, it's lost a lot of the old glamour, and even when I first heard it I can still remember feeling a pang of dissapointment. After all, this is perhaps the most over-hyped album of the 20th century, so I was expecting something truly earth-shaking. Instead, this is an average album, with a mountainous reputation that I believe it is not really deserving of. There are far better albums out there, hell, even it's predecessor, Ride the Lightning, was more enjoyable. My advice is that you spend your cash on the aforementioned album and pass this one up. Besides, you're bound to hear it everywhere you go, so why bother? // 7

Master Of Puppets Reviewed by: petrucci_owns86, on december 17, 2007

Sound: This is most likely Metallica's definitive album, and is one of the most influential heavy metal albums of all time. The majority of the album is based around heavy, thrashy riffs and some very fast songs. The title track is one of their most famous songs, and is one of three songs on this album that are over eight minutes. The second to last track, "Orion" is an instrumental. Personally, this is one of my top ten favorite metal albums. There is literally nothing to dislike here. // 10

Lyrics: James Hetfield is a very good singer, and has a distinctive voice. It's incredible to me that he can still sing perfectly while playing such fast songs. It seems to me that the lyrics deal with social issues in some way. The agressive lyrics work great with the overall intensity of the music. 01. Battery - starts off with acoustic guitars for about 37 seconds, then slams into electrics. At around 1:05 the song kicks into high gear with an extremely fast, heavy riff. Hetfield practically has to rap the vocals the song is going so fast. The guitar solos are incredible. All these factors contribute to an awesome album opener, and one of my favorite songs on the album. This song is also really fun to learn to play on guitar. 02. Master Of Puppets - this is what Metallica is all about, right here. If someone asks you, "What's Metallica like?" you play them this song. Some awesome guitar solos on this track, the first one is done by Hetfield, the second by Kirk Hammett. Over eight and a half minutes long. 03. The Thing That Should Not Be - a little bit slower, more of a grinding song. This one's pretty good, but not one of the best from the album. The solo is pretty good, but a little short. 04. Welcome Home (Sanitarium) - this is kind of a ballad. This has a few guitar solos, and all are really good. I really love this song. 05. Disposable Heroes - this is one of my favorites from this album. It's extremely fast throughout it's 8:17 length. The guitar solo is mind-blowingly awesome. The drums are also insane; Lars must have practically died when he recorded this. This one will really get you headbangin'! 06. Leper Messiah - starts out with Lars counting down, then slaps you in the face with an unbelievably heavy riff. They did that in standard tuning? Crazy! This is a very memorable song. 07. Orion - an instrumental song, one of the greatest I have ever heard. Many great guitar solos, Hetfield does the second one. About eight and a half minutes long. Includes a Cliff Burton bass solo. 08. Damage, Inc. - starts out with a very interesting bass solo, courtesy of Cliff Burton. The song starts kicking ass around 1:19, and goes into another freakishly fast riff. This song says the "F" word a couple times, but hey, that's metal, right? The guitar solo is full tilt the whole time, and it's one of my favorite solos of all time. Fantastic way to close a fantastic album. // 10

Overall Impression: This a great album, and is one of the most iconic thrash metal albums of all time. It marks Metallica's last album with bassist Cliff Burton. He sadly died in a tour bus accident on September 27, 1986 (which is a day after my birthday). I love everything about this album; to me, there isn't anything to hate. If it were lost or stolen, I would cease to exist. If you're a fan of metal, this is an essential album to own. // 10

Master Of Puppets Reviewed by: arg_89, on july 01, 2010

Sound: From the acoustic beginning of "Battery" to the bone-crushing end of "Damage, Inc.", Metallica's "Master of Puppets" remains to this day one of the heaviest and most groundbreaking metal albums of all time. From the word go, Kirk and James aim to beat your brain in with a powerhouse combination of fast and heavy guitar riffs and solos. Combined with amazing drum tracks from Lars and unparalleled bass playing from the late Cliff Burton (especially on the instrumental "Orion"), Master of Puppets comes together to be, in my opinion, the greatest metal album of all time. // 10

Lyrics: As most of us know, the main theme from the album "Master of Puppets" is control. The clear message from the song "Master of Puppets" in being controlled by some kind of substance, most notably in this case drugs. "Sanitarium" deals with being conrolled by insanity. "Disposable Heroes" is dedicated to showing how war and the government are controlling, while "Leper Messiah" is about control through religion and "Damage, Inc." is about control through corporations and big business. I give the lyrics a 9 beacuse, even though they are well written by James and convey a clear theme of control, they cannot quite compare to some of his later lyrics on Load and Reload. // 9

Overall Impression: If I could give this album a 100 out of 10, I would. In my mind, by far the greatest metal album of all time. It's hard for me to pick a favorite song so I would say the highlights are "Sanitarium", "Master of Puppets", "Battery", and "Damage, Inc." The album does also include "Orion", my favorite Metallica instrumental. One reason why I love this album so much is that however not quite a concept album, all the songs are tied together by a main theme. Instead of a loose collection of songs commonly seen in today's music industry, it is a complete album that if one song were to be removed, it would changed the complexion of the entire album. A true masterpiece. // 10

Master Of Puppets Reviewed by: janecoffin27, on january 08, 2004

Sound: This is one of the better produced Metallica albums. The technical sound is great, so you can't blame that for anything. As for the music : If you've never heard any of these songs, I don't know where the fuck you've been. There's a reason these songs are considered some of the best. You've got Lars' drumming which is obviously kick-ass, Cliff's complex bass lines, and the rhythmic mastermind known as James. Round all that off with Kirk's shredding solos and you've got some awesome songs. The only problem I have is the bass is too quiet because the guitars do the exact same thing until the solos. You can hear the bass but it should be louder. // 10

Lyrics: This is back when James could, wow, still sing. No cracking voice here. He's the only one who wrote lyrics on this album I believe, which seems to have been better than letting the others write lyrics like on St. Anger. The lyrics fit in perfectly, especially on tracks like "Welcome Home (Sanitarium)" and "Damage, Inc." // 10

Overall Impression: Buy this. Right now. Even if you have it already. Someone might steal it. There is nothing wrong with this album except the bass is sort of overshadowed at times. I can't even pick a favorite song ; they're each worth the fifteen dollars you'll spend. Ties for best album of 1986 (the other being Iron Maiden's "Somewhere in Time"). // 10

Master Of Puppets Reviewed by: unregistered, on february 16, 2004

Sound: This cd has the deep, heavy hitting sounds that are only now being matched with korn's 7-strings and hatebreed's extra low tuned guitars. It hits hard with "The thing that should not be" fast with the machine-like riffs of Battery and Master Of Puppets. All the while keeping the same aggresive behavior as seen and heard on "Kill em all" and "Ride the lightning". // 10

Lyrics: These lyrics seem to be the most aggresive lyrics to come forth from Metallica. With James producing what I believe to be ALL of the lyrics for this cd, it is probably one of the most personal cd's they have. // 10

Overall Impression: When you listen to this cd, you can't help but bang your head stomp your feet, or just in some way. This cd gives you the energy you need when down and the power you need to do anything. // 10

Master Of Puppets Reviewed by: Spike6sic6, on march 02, 2004

Sound: Master of Puppets is my 2nd fav album from Metallica. As always, catchy and fast riffs, kick*ss solos. This album is more heavier then others album in my opinion, just listen to Master of Puppets, Battery or Damage Inc. // 10

Lyrics: As always,excellent lyrics,and personnal as in Master of Puppets, which is about being an alcoholic :P. Agressive lyrics in Damage Inc., which is still good. As for the voice...I can only say...it's James Hetfield! // 10

Overall Impression: It's one of their best albums. My favorite songs are Battery, Orion and of course Master of Puppets. This album is very agressive aswell as personnal, which is great. I would definitely buy it again. The only thing I didn't like much is some slower songs. It's still definitely worth buying it. // 10

Master Of Puppets Reviewed by: BrofUJu, on march 03, 2004

Sound: This is probably Metallica's hardest, fastest, and most trashing album. The sound production sounds a lot better than on Ride the Lightning, which obviously makes the songs more enjoyable. Every song is hard hitting and fast, though though Metallica's second instrumental attempt does have a few slow spots. This song shows how Metallica is beggining to mature. Compared to The Call of Ktulu, the first instrumental done by metallica from Ride the Lightning, Orion is much more leveled, from the slower hard starting, to the middle bass solo executed perfectly by bassist Burton. // 10

Lyrics: James Hetfield, again, does not disappoint. Whether lyrics about the fight with drugs in "Master of Puppets", to men being "pawns" in the army in the song "Disposable Heroes". The lyrics are great, well thought out, and are an inspiration to any lyricst. // 10

Overall Impression: Is this Metallica's best album? In my opinion, yes. It's the last album featuring bassist Cliff Burton, before he was killed in a tragic bus accident in Sweden. This album is an important point in not just Metallica's history, but the history of classic metal. Any metal lover should deffiently pick this up. Don't be intimidated by only 8 tracks. The whole album is over an hour long! // 10

Master Of Puppets Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 23, 2004

Sound: The sound is unbeleivealbe. Nothing can compare to the ingeious and excting music in "Master of puupets". The guitaring skill is increadible. There is nothing like kirks amazing solos which has guitarists envious. The powerful riffs can get anyone jumping around. The drumming is excellent but as a guitarist I don't really care. Each song is unique and has it's own tone and feeling. THe bass is however, lacking. This is purely due to the recording as I don't think the recording wasnt as good back in 86 but who cares the guitaring makes up for it. // 10

Lyrics: What can I say about the lyrics? James Hetfield is probably the best lyricicst of all time. The lyrics are remeberable and gets the listener thinking about it. Its all relevent and theres no random non senseical crap like some of today's music. And I'm glad to say that there are no damn love songs which all songs seem to be about these days. James knows what and when to do with lyrics and also knows that songs like orion really dont need lyrics at all. 10 out of 5, but I can't do that. // 10

Overall Impression: Theres nothing better. In my view, the best Album ever along with Black. A remasterded version would not go amiss though with enhanced recording. The could call it RE-MASTERED OF PUPPETS. Any Album that conatained the song Master Of Puppets would be amazing as this is by far the best metal song ever. The crazy riffs and random changes in the song make it ridiculously good. Orion is also an amazing guitaring experiance, it doesn't need lyrics to be amazing and I'd like to see more live. If my ablbum was stolen I would immediately buy a new one, or steal one, whatever. But then I'd listen to the CD as I hunted down the guy who knicked mine and unload a battery on his a$$. Dont have it, Buy it now. // 10

Master Of Puppets Reviewed by: PsychoWolfD, on june 01, 2004

Sound: Metallica's 3rd album is one of the albums that helped preserve real metal in the 80s. I just love the sound of their work! This is the first Metallica album I bought. At first, I got curious about them because of the cool artwork of their first 5 albums. So I listened to previews through those scan-and-listen-a-cd things at WalMart, and the preview for "The Thing That Should Not Be" (track 3) got me into their music and then, heavy metal. So I bought this, and it was the only thing I listened to for a month. "I was obsessed with track 3, and eventually got into all of the tracks. This is a very raw and straight-up record. At first, when I didn't understand metal very much, I thought metal was just a bunch of s--t-inciting screamers with spikes and chains on, n' stuff, until I listened to those guys. // 10

Lyrics: Hetfield redefined for me the singing style of metal music, true metal music like they played on this album. Since I wasn't into metal much at the time, the lyrics took some getting used to, for me, and now, I plan to cover every one of the 8 songs. 1. "Battery" is about some sort of powerful, destructive force found in someone. There is an acoustic intro to the song that sounds Mexican, so it's cool. (Hetfield/Ulrich), 5:10 2. "Master Of Puppets", if you haven't guessed already, is about drug addiction. Lyrical clues are "Chop your breakfast in a mirror", relating to cocaine, "Veins that pump with fear", relating to heroin, "taste me you will see, more is all you need, dedicated to, how I'm killing you" relates to any kind of drug. This song is very meaningful to me. You got to hear the solo in the middle area. At first, I thought it had nothing to do with the song, so it's very catchy. (Hetfield/Ulrich/Burton/Hammett), 8:38 3. "The Thing That Should Not Be" is the song that got me into Metallica. I still don't know the exact meaning of the lyrics, but you might, something about "fearless wretch, insanity, he watches, lurking beneath the sea", etc. The riff is one of their best ever. (Hetfield/Ulrich/Hammett), 6:32 4. "Welcome Home (sanitarium)" is about resistance against an asylum. This song includes soft elements, gradually going raw and heavy. Keep your ears open for the solo. (Hetfield/Ulrich/Hammett), 6:28 5. "Disposable Heroes" is another hardcore thrasher that talks about disposing a used-up dead soldier boy who was bred to kill, or something. I still like this song. (Hetfield/Ulrich/Hammett), 8:14 6. "Leper Messiah" is an okay song. Something about "Send Me Money Send Me Green Heaven You Will Meet, Make a contribution and yu get the better seat, bow to Leper Messiah." (Hetfield/Ulrich), 5:38 7. "Orion" is a very killer instrumental. I wonder why Metallica stopped writing instrumentals. Watch out for the bass solo. (Hetfield/Ulrich/Burton), 8:12 8. "Damage, Inc." is about some sort of company meant to damage people. The intro is pretty weird many said it is a bass intro, but I don't know how a bass can do that. This is one of their thrashiest works ever. You won't want to miss this. (Hetfield/Ulrich/Burton/Hammett), 5:08 // 10

Overall Impression: I owe my love for heavy metal to this album. I don't know why none of the songs made hit single, but I hope and pray that its because every single song is great, which I know it is. Go get this album if you had to search every store in this planet. Buy it now and you will not regret. // 10

Master Of Puppets Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 17, 2004

Sound: Wow this album is amazing. I got into Metallica with the Black Album but this is their climax totally. The whole sound of the album is awesome, it flows and it kicks ass. Even Orion the instrumental (composed by Burton) fits into the thrash and sounds in place. // 10

Lyrics: The vocals are great and I love the lyrics on all the tracks (except Orion of course). Battery I don't really get, but Master Of Puppets is secretly about how drugs take control, The Thing That Should Not Be is inspired by the book "The Call Of Ctulhu" (which also inspired the song Call Of Ktulu on Ride The Lightning) and is creepy and awesome. It only gets better with the next three tracks, Sanitarium, Disposable Heroes, and lyrically my personal favorite, Leper Messiah. Damage Inc. is good too, but the lyrics have less meaning (along with Battery) than the other tracks. // 10

Overall Impression: Frankly, my favorite album of all time along with Ride The Lightning and Black Sabbath's Master Of Reality. If you cant afford or find the album (which I doubt, but you never know), atleast try to get the tracks Master Of Puppets, Sanitarium, and Disposable Heroes. The whole album is so awesome though so no excuse for not buying it. There's nothing to hate about it, but Metallica should remaster their classic albums (1-6) that would be killer. If I lost it or it got stolen, I would look for it with no end if I didn't have money, and if I did, I'd immediately go buy it again. This album is the greatest among all thrash albums. // 10

Master Of Puppets Reviewed by: unregistered, on february 19, 2005

Sound: The sound of this album are unsurpassed. It is absolutely amazing. I first got into Metallica when I bought the Black Album, that album was good, this album is great. The sound is awesome and the band clicks better than ever before. If you cannot buy this I pity you. // 10

Lyrics: This is the place where I think James Hetfields voice fits best. It changes alot over thier career but if it was like this all the time they would be so much better sounding. Also, as if you didn't know the amazing song Master Of Puppets is about drug addiction. All the songs have amazing lyrics and are all great. // 10

Overall Impression: This is my favorite of the Metallica's albums, the second is the Black Album. I don't know how this album could get less than a 5, and if you rate it less than 5 you must have mental problems or sometinhg (no offense to people who actually have mental problems). Oh yeah and if anyone would steal it, I would hunt you down. But if I could not possibly get it back, ofcourse I would buy it again. // 10

Master Of Puppets Reviewed by: unregistered, on september 12, 2005

Sound: First of all I'd like to say that this album kicks ass. It's a thrash master-piece and I would definetly recomed it to anyone that likes metal. The sound on this album has got to be one of the coolest of all time. It's so perfect! It fits so good to all the songs! Especially in "Orion." Not to mencion the "everyone's favorite song" (and title song of course) "Master Of Puppets." It's a very cool sound. Tough I'd like to say very violent and trashy. Another thing I love on this album is that the speed fits so good. Mostly, it's fast, but then they switch to melody and kinda beaty when they play "Welcome Home (Sanitaruim)." Metallica, you couldn't have done it better! // 10

Lyrics: I'm not much of a poet and I don't read lyrics so often. But for the review I did, and I found that they were very raw. Like in Disposable Heroes "You will die, when I say, you must die!" Well, that's Metallica you know. At least in the trash days. It's a shame to see what they've managed to dig up nowdays (St. Anger). Anyway, I like the lyrics. They're kinda cool. But I don't understans no s--t in "Master Of Puppets." Sounds like a doll controlled by someone or something like that. I've heard of a book named The Puppet Masters but, anyway it would be a shame to give anything on this album less than 5 so. // 10

Overall Impression: 01. Battery - alongside "Blackened" from and justice for all. This intro has got to be the best of all time. By that I mean when the electric part crashes in. The acoustic is great to! When I first had heard the intro I was expecting a song with a perfect riff and very heavy. But then the fast riff came and I was like: what? But I have gone to like this song. Very good riffs with a nice repeating chorus. Great 4/5. 02. Master Of Puppets - you can't think anything bad about this song. Every single second on this song kicks ass and I would say it's illegal to hate this song! F--ing great! Awesome solo by James(and a little Kirk) 5/5. 03. The Thing That Should Not Be - well, it is a very great song, but there's practicly no changing in it. Except for the solo. But it's good. Allthough it get's boring when you reach the 3rd verse. You hear the same things again 3/5. 04. Welcome Home (Sanitarium) - this one and Master is the high point of the album. Awesome guitar in the verse and when the song changes it's amazing! 4 solos by Kirk. Kinda inmpressive 5/5. 05. Disposable Heroes - I don't know if it can get more thrashy than this. Fast and great riff on only 1 string. Extremely raw lyrics about war. But yet another master-piece. Awesome intro 4.5/5. 06. Leper Mesiah - well, every album has it's downhills. The intro is ok but the verse sucks and the chorus. Dont't even wanna talk about it 2/5. 07. Orion - Metallica are maters at making instrumental songs. It aint as good as "Call Of Ctulu" and "To Live Is To Die," but awesome. It's got a lot of changes and most of em are great 4/5. 08. Damage Inc - I love the intro! Amazing that a bass can do such sound. After the intro it gets extremly thrashy and well nothing special, but good 3/5. // 10

Master Of Puppets Reviewed by: 9mmpainpill, on october 10, 2005

Sound: Master Of Puppets could very well be the greatest album of all time. By this time Metallica had developed thier song writing capabilities far beyond any other band at the time. With the lightning fast tracks such as Battery and Damage, Inc. this album shows how Metallica got thier status in the music community. Sadly this was also legendary bassist Cliff Burton's last album with Metallica, he was killed in a bus accident in 1986. He did though leave his mark on the album with, amoung others, the song Master Of Puppets and his beautiful solo in Orion. This album was undeniably a masterpiece and will be the benchmark for all musicians of its genre. // 10

Lyrics: Once again James Hetfield delivers. With the beautiful lyrics in Welcome Home (Sanitarium) and the unsettling sounds of Battery, Hetfield adds emotion and beauty to even the most aggressive songs. // 10

Overall Impression: It would be impossible to compare Master Of Puppets to any other album. It's no doubt that if you haven't heard this album you eventually will. The most impressive songs on the album in my opinion are Welcome Home (Sanitarium), Master Of Puppets, and my favorite Orion. To anyone that hasn't experienced Master Of Puppets I recommend that you drop what you are doing and get it. // 10

Master Of Puppets Reviewed by: Rattlehead666, on october 26, 2005

Sound: What can you say that is horrible about Master Of Puppets, nothing! This has to be one of Metallica's most rememberible albums. Every Metallica fan knows about this album. This album is also credited as the number one heavy metal album of all time. Every song is awesome. You got Battery with the spanish intro then it goes all heavy and fast with the electric guitars. You got Welcome Home (Sanitarium) with that cool intro. You got the freaky part in Orion with the bass and you got the fadey intro in Damage Inc. and then it goes all heavy with the electric guitars. This is also the final album Cliff Burton recorded with them before that horrible tradgety on September 27, 1986. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics I remember quite easy are the lyrics in disposable heroes on the part when James sings 'Back to the front!' and the part when James sings 'I was born for dying!' The lyrics to Battery and Master Of Puppets doesn't really have any special meaning to them but they are still good. James vocals are just as good as in any of the four original Metallica albums. // 10

Overall Impression: This album compares to any of the albums that were released in that year: Megadeth's Peace Sells... But Who's Buying and Slayer's Reign In Blood. I think that all of the songs are impressive on this album I like them all. I don't hate anything about this album. If this album were lost from my heavy metal collection I would buy it again. // 10

Master Of Puppets Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 21, 2005

Sound: This band created a masterpiece when they made this album. Created a monster that swept every country bare with heavy metal anthems such as: Master Of Puppets, Sanitarium, Damage Inc. and Orion. The sound quality is really good for its time, and the musicianship is phenominal (as always with Metallica). // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are awesome. James Hetfield really comes through on this one. The best lyrics I find are in the title track "Master Of Puppets." In this legendary song they use the music and the lyrics in combination to give the feel of oppression and overpowerment. The song itself is about Alchohol addiction and the lyrics go perfectly. "Come crawling faster; Obey your master! Your life burns faster; Obey your... Master! Master!" friggin masterpiece. // 10

Overall Impression: This album was a friggin phenominon. One of the first albums to combine neo-classical with thrash metal. The most impressive song on the album is Orion, which is an instrumental song that is kinda cyclonic. Pulls you innn mannnnn. If it were lost I'd either find it or buy a new one. If it were stolen I'd kill myself. // 10

Master Of Puppets Reviewed by: aMeRiCaNsTrAt21, on january 05, 2006

Lyrics: James Hetfield does a great job with keeping a consistenttheme throughout this album. Most songs deal with the concept of power (Master Of Puppets, Battery, Damage inc) insanity (Sanitarium) or corruption (Leper Messiah, Disposable Heroes). Overall, James' singing skills on the album are great, but he hasn't quite developed the range for some of the higher pitched notes he tries to hit. His singing is a lot better than on Kill Em All, marginall better than on Ride The Lightning, and marginally worse than on Black album. // 10

Master Of Puppets Reviewed by: thetoastinator, on january 09, 2006

Sound: Metallica is probably my favorite band. The sound is great, the tone of Kirk and James's guitars are awesome. Cliffs bass sound is awesome, although a little overpowering at times. The drumming was really great too. This CD is mainly thrash metal, like KEA and RTL, although there is some other sounds, and like Kirk said, in this album, they were trying to break away from thrash. // 9

Lyrics: I don't really listen to a long for lyrics, but the ones in MOP were great. James's voice is great, and I think that on this album he had the best voice. // 9

Overall Impression: This is probably my favorite Metallica album. They are one of my favorite bands. I love the intro to Battery, and the song, Master of Puppets is probably my favorite song to play with on guitar. The songs are all very long, and Metallica is the only band that I can listen to a 6-8 minute song without getting bored of it. I love how they mix the fast and slow parts. An example is the intro to Battery when it goes from the slow accoustic intro the the fast paced electric part. If this CD was stolen from me, I wouldnt get it because I already have it on my computer. Overall I love this album. // 10

Master Of Puppets Reviewed by: METSOAD, on february 08, 2006

Sound: The old yardsticks were "Overkill/Bomber", "Number Of The Beast" and "Paranoid" music had to be half as good as that to get recogition. That was before 1986 when "Master Of Puppets" hit the shelves. It is one of the most powerful, most brutal and most techincally brilliant record ever seen in all of time. // 10

Lyrics: All songs have a different meaning. "Master Of Puppets" is about drug abuse, "Leaper Messiah" is about a freak show and "Damage Inc." is about an organisation that will beat you up. They are either cryptic clues or violent and simple. // 10

Overall Impression: 01. Battery - a huge epic opening with great acoustic guitaring, followed by a hugley good thrash metal song. 02. Master Of Puppets - quite possibly the most famous of all thrash metal's songs. That opening still sends a bolt of energy through my body telling me to mosh. 03. Thing That Should Not Be - a dark creepy slow down that shows Metallica's ability to drop the pace well. 04. Welcome Home (Sanitarium) - the ballad of the album has a quite simply awesome guitar solo. 05. Disposable Heroes - music was never meant to be so brutal, so violent, so fast. The guitar solo is up there with the best of all time. Excellent vocal work fom Hetfeild. 06. Leaper Messiah - more excellent Hetfeild work, on riffing and vocals. A Crushing mid song riff and solo are the peaks. 07. Orion - a beautiful instrumental with out of this world bass guitar playing the God Cliff Burton (RIP). 08. Damage Inc. - in my opinion, the second greatest song ever written and by far and away the best thrash metal song evr. Ferocious, simple and fiery. Nothing else comes close. // 10

Master Of Puppets Reviewed by: cwbwakeboard9, on july 14, 2006

Sound: This CD has amazing sound. James has an unmatchable, impeccable voice on this CD. Kirk, well Kirk is just being Kirk and making a "tone monster" out of his guitar, playing hard speedy solos and heavy chunky riffs that can make your eyes bleed. Lars gets his drum on and just makes this album their best. Cliff Burton shreds the bass on this album. Together they come together and make the most awesome metal record ever. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics on this CD are amazing. 01. Battery - great intro to the CD, a sort of dark mellow intro twisted into a heavy distorted riff with some cool solo fills etc. Lyrics are speedy and go very well with the instrumental parts. Song is a good track but it can get a bit annoying at times. 02. Master Of Puppets - song of millenium. Amazing vocals talking about drug addiction. Class A+++ supremo guitar though. I think Hammett's soloing and playing ability are too crazy. Best song ever. 03. The Thing That Should Not Be - a very slow heavy song on this CD. A bit underrated I must add. Lyrics talk about a book and about insanity. Very nice druming and bassing and guitaring. 04. Welcome Home (Sanitarium) - second or third best Metallica song ever. Very good lyrics about a man in a Crazy House that is bored, angry and tries to escape, then talks about killing or death. I love the agressive guitar and bunched out solos. 05. Disposable Heroes - I don't like this song much, it sort of bores me a I guess. But my cousin swears by it. I don't listen to it very much though. The lyrics aren't too great either. 06. Leper Mesiah - not too bad of a song, no big hit, but not as bad as some song like "We Built This City on Rock n' Roll". I don't listen to this song much either, the mid-end of the CD just doesn't suit me well. 07. Orion - great instrumental. No lyrics. But a very melodic song with very nice solos and it makes you happy to listen to it. 08. Damage, Inc. - mega ending. Couldn't be a better end to a CD, especially one of this quality. If the CD didn't already have 3 big hits on it, this song would be very much more remembered. // 10

Overall Impression: Buy this CD, download it, steal it do whatever it takes to obtain this godly track list. Just skip the 5th and 6th songs and then you'll be okay with the CD. Best Metallica CD ever. // 10

Master Of Puppets Reviewed by: Arry, on july 17, 2006

Sound: Master Of Puppets. Metallica's thrash giant from the mid '80s. Celebrated by many as the greatest metal album ever created. But is it as good as everybody says. Hell yeah! Already from the first song you can hear that Metallica is worlds away from the primitive (in comparison to Master) Ride The Lightning, and universes away from Kill 'Em All. I mean, the first you hear is a thick acoustic guitar intro that suddenly explodes into a wall of sound coming right up your face. There are not so many fast songs as it's used to be on thrash record but I can't complain. Although, Battery, Damage Inc. and Disposable Heroes are pretty fast ones. The sound is greater than everything Metallica had done before or would ever made. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are absolutly great. From TV-evengelists (Leper Messiah) to creatures living under water (The Thing That Should Not Be) to an anti drug song (Master Of Puppets) indicates that James lyricwriting hade improved a lot. Also has his voice, he's not screaming, like he did on KEA, he's not barking or hoarse, like he did on RTL, he is intoning the words with a subtle virulence that was almost entirely missing beforehand. // 10

Overall Impression: Like I said before, it's great. It don't gets better than this.The best songs on the album is Battery, Master Of Puppets, The Thing That Should Not Be, Welcome Home (Sanitarium), Disposable Heroes, Leper Messiah, Orion, Damage Inc. Opps! I believe that was ALL the songs on the album, but I think it describes the vibe that is surrounding Master Of Puppets. A true masterpiece. If I lost this record I woulkd definitly buy a new one. // 10

Master Of Puppets Reviewed by: Inahrima, on july 24, 2006

Sound: Hetfeild's aggressive rhythm style is complimented perfectly by Burtons thundering bass and Hammett's intricate lead work. Ulrich's drumming also never fails to impress. You have to admire the technicality and intricacy of the album. Thick and muscular, and the material varies enough in texture and tempo to hold interest through all its twists and turns. The songs fit and come together magnificently. // 10

Lyrics: Dealing with the overall theme of manipulation, being used and the fear and powerlessness that comes along with it, the lyrics are astonishingly deep and meaningful. Hetfeild's delivery is flawless, his menacing voice becoming part of the song rather than taking over // 10

Overall Impression: Listening To the beautiful opening acoustic guitar harmony of Battery, you start to wonder if it's the right CD you're listening to, then the distortion kicks in and you know you're in for a wild ride. Thrash at its finest, the song charges on at break neck speed breaking through the boundaries and is arguably one of the best pure thrash songs ever written. Battery finally breaks down into the title track, Master Of Puppets. A song about drug addiction and how it controls your life, its, for a lack of words, breath taking. Opening with the most unforgettable power chords in metal history the song races on at breakneck speed, only slowing down for the clean bridge section that has become somewhat of a Metallica trademark. What follows is the shear menace of The thing that should not be. Following in the same vein as The Call of the Ktulu, it's a song about the mythical sea monsters featured in the works of writer H.P. Lovecraft. The next song Welcome Home (Sanitarium) (about an institutionalized metal hospital patient), from the unforgettable melodic solo's through out, the use of the quite/loud dynamic, to how the song gets progressively heavier, is akin to Fade To Black in more ways than one. After the fury of Disposable Heroes (a war song from the perspective of a soldier), and the dementia of Leper Messiah (dealing with the subject of televangelists who use people's guilt to con them out their money), the album finally comes to the beautiful instrumental, Orion. Incorporating the late Cliff Burtons lead bass style though out, it is considered one of Cliff's finest and most personal works. Being the song chosen by the band to be played at his funeral, listening to this masterpiece is bittersweet. The end album begins ends as it began with the tear-down-walls-holy-shit-this-songs-fast thrash of Damage, Inc. I'd have to say the claim that this is one of the best albums on the face of the earth is justified. Extremely well rounded, every single song is epic (not a single one runs below the 5 minute mark) and is each a masterpiece unto itself. If you like metal (even a teensy weensy bit) or if you just like good music, buy this album. You won't regret it. // 10

Master Of Puppets Reviewed by: RockNRollfan1, on november 14, 2006

Sound: One of the best bands to come out of the '80s, Metallica's sound is usually pretty much just a straight forward assault of speed heavy metal. But the defenition of '80s thrash/speed metal is defined best on this album, with songs like Battery and Damage, Inc. Really, the sound of the album isn't varied much throughout, a lot of amazing solos and power chord arrangements, but you'll find a very different song in Orion. Driven by a catchy bass line and some prog/rock like guitar solos, it really adds atmosphere to the album. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are beyond top notch on this album, the whole loose based concept of the album flows extra well. Some of the best lyrics come from the songs Master of Puppets, Welcome Home (Sanitarium), Disposable Heroes and Leper Messiah. The subject of the lyrics can range from drug addiction to religious power control and aggression. And of course, the lyrics fit the music perfectly, just take Battery for example. Not too many songs can get me pumped up yet when you think 'bout it and take a look at the lyrics, you'll see how the music fits the lyrics. As far as the singer goes, well, Hetfield does the job but nothing more, not a great singer, but not bad at all either, or atleast I think so. // 10

Overall Impression: So far I'd say it's Metallica in their prime and their best album in their discography. All the songs as a whole are impressive which make the album much more enjoyable all the way through. Although, I wouldn't recommend this album to people looking into geting into this band rather I'd rather reccomend Ride The Lightning (Previous album before MoP) because at times MoP can get a tad repetitive and at even at times a bit fast for the occasional listener. All in all classic album, just don't see albums released like this anymore. // 10

Master Of Puppets Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 24, 2006

Sound: On this, Metallica's third album, regarded by many as their greatest effort to date, the sound is nothing short of monumental. From the intricate spanish guitar intro to Battery to the explicit romp of Damage, Inc., you find yourself gripped. Perhaps the first great American thrash metal band, Metallica take a risk by putting the vocals extremely high up in the mix. However, it pays of with thrilling consequenses. The cleanness of the guitars is another important step in the history of thrash. // 9

Lyrics: On this album, the lyrics are very much about hidden meanings. For instance, Master Of Puppets is about substance abuse and addiction. However, many of the lyrics are excellent, often housing poem-like qualities. As is custom with Metallica, the vocabulary used in the songs is brilliant, and extremely widely ranged. James Hetfield's vocals are epic and truly heart-felt, and his rasping screams are welcomed warmly on Master Of Puppets. // 9

Overall Impression: A great band, even at this early stage in their career, Metallica really hit the spot with this 1986 release. The standout tracks are undoubtedly Battery and the title track, and Welcome Home (Sanitarium) is also worth a good listen. If you are new to Metallica's music, I would purchase Ride The Lightning before Master Of Puppets, but that is, of course, my personal opinion, and entirely up to you. // 10

Master Of Puppets Reviewed by: Heavy metal23, on august 20, 2007

Sound: I love the sound of basically any kind of Metal music so obviouslly I think Metallicas awesome but even if you don't love metal you don't have to because Metallica is one of the best bands there is. And like a lot of bands they have a lot of songs but they're one of the only bands, in my opinion, in which almost all of there songs are great. I'm not exactally sure if there's any story behind the album but like I said in the lyrics section there seems to be storys behind some of the songs. As for the Sounds used in this album there are many but they are all metal sounds like Heavy Metal, Speed Metal, Metal, and Thrash Metal. Overall just like all the other sections I gave this a 10. // 10

Lyrics: To start, James is pretty good at singing except for the stuff in saint anger (but I disliked the entire album)but I'm reviewing Master of Puppets to rate the singers skills for M.o.P. I rate 10 because the lyrics are always good and make you want to sing it and the lyrics are always in the right place which brings me to the compliance of the music and lyrics Which are great. As an example in the song "Battery" The lyrics go great with the speed metal going on and it just sounds totally wicked like it -beep- well should be. Know for the Overall impression which obvioslly a 10. The lyrics are great and if you listen closelly or look at the at the lyrics you can usually find some kind of story in it or an opinion or just some topic. Like in the song Welcome Home (sanitarium)it seems like they're talking about mental hospitals or something and my guitar teacher said in the thing that should not be it sounds like they're talking about the Lock Ness Monster. So a perfect 10 for the lyrics. // 10

Overall Impression: Personally I think this is Metallica's best albuam so far. Made in 1986 with Elektra Entertainment group, it is Metallica's third album. It has many of there best songs on it like Master of Puppets, Battery, The Thing That Should Not Be, and many more great Metallica songs. The booklit thing inside has a bunch of pictures of the band and has the lyrics to all the songs in it. You can find it or order it just about any where and I've seen it cost around $12-$15 without tax. I also think it has one of the bands best album covers picturing a graveyard with a cloudy sunset, then in the top coners you can see two hands holding strings that are attached to all of the grave crosses. In conclusion Metallica Rocks! and I rate this entire thing 10! // 10

Master Of Puppets Reviewed by: aenimafist, on august 22, 2007

Sound: In my and most other peoples' opinions, we would probably say that the old-school Metallica sounds better than the newer Metallica. The band shows here that they can make their guitar skills gel with their olden sound to create the ultimate thrash-metal album. The guitar tone is phenominal and vaguely reminiscent of the album Kill 'Em All. Kirk and James show off their guitar wizardry and Lars shows his talents behind the skins in what later became Cliff Burton's farewell album. The combination of high pitched solos and harmonized guitars are what makes this album a heavy metal masterpiece. I see no way how this album could not get five stars from everybody and I was surprised to hear that ...And Justice For All sold better. // 10

Lyrics: This album could have the best Metallica lyrics ever. James still has his interesting thrashy vocal delivery which only makes the lyrics jump out at you more. I would say Disposable Heroes has the best lyrics because it is fun to listen to political songs and Metallica shows their ability of covering many lyric subjects. I also was impressed with the song Leper Messiah which is probably my favorite Metallica song ever. Master of Puppets to me sounds like a dictatorship song which would explain the album art. // 10

Overall Impression: This is certainly an essential for any music collector and is right up there with Dark Side of the Moon as one of the greatest albums of all time. The skill of these four gentlemen sure made a huge impression on the face of rock music and their imprint will never cease to remain. (Just like The Memory). The best songs are Leper Messiah, Master of Puppets, Disposable Heroes and Battery. Theses songs are also fun to play on the guitar so check out the tabs! // 10

Master Of Puppets Reviewed by: guitarhero1111, on november 05, 2007

Sound: This is, in my opinion the greatest thrash album ever (not dissing Slayer or Megadeth, there still great). It has everything, speed riffs (Battery, Damage Inc.), slow chugging riffs (The Thing That Should Not Be), shred solos (Disposable Heroes) and slow haunting solos (Orion, Welcome Home (Sanitarium)). This kicks the ass of anything they have put out within the last 15 years. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics are one of this albums greatest features. There very meaningful and not just about death and violence. for example, "Master Of Puppets" is about the dangers of drug abuse and "Leper Messiah" deals with TV advertising and religions that are just out to get your money. However, for some of the faster songs they do resort to just singing about violence, but this isnt really a problem and they still fit in with the songs. // 9

Overall Impression: It's hard to pick one song that stands head and shoulders above the restbecause there all so good, however in my personal opinion "Welcome Home (Sanitarium)" is the best as it has everything a good metallica song needs, thrashy riffs, killer solos and lyrics that really make you think. the worst song in my opinion would have to be "The Thing That Should Not Be". By no means a bad song but the riff, despite being bludgeoningly brutal and heavy, is repeated a few too many times and eventually gets boring. It doesn't compare to anything they have recorded before or since, which is another reason it's so great, it's utterly unique. Overall a brilliant album and if it was lost I would buy it again in a second. // 9

Master Of Puppets Reviewed by: face_the_slayer, on december 24, 2007

Sound: Well, let's see, why am I reviewing this totally vulgar display of awesomeness, this feast of speed metal mayhem? Okay, if you hadn't guessed already, I find this CD, Metallica's Master Of Puppets, one of the best CDs I have ever had the pleasure to listen to. Overall, the CD touches every base. On the 'breathtaking speed' side, there's Battery, Damage Inc., the title track, and Disposable Heroes, the first two starting out with an acoustic introduction. Both songs rage with speed, power, great drumming, thanks to Lars Ulrich. It is an innovative sound, crossing hardcore thrash with something slightly more mainstream. Orion, the instrumental, is a good tune, a stage classic, a memento to bass master (RIP) Cliff Burton, who died in a tour bus crash just months after the release. The other songs (The Thing That Should Not Be, Leper Messiah, and Welcome Home (Sanitarium)) are slower, but still packed with anger and aggression, still sounding better than their post-1991 sound even at the same tempos. There is no weak point (at all) on this CD. It's straight-up awesomeness! The only complaint I have about the album's sound is that guitars could have been more distorted for an even heavier sound, but it was the 1980s, so it's cool. Lars' drumming is good. But not Dave Lombardo (of Slayer) good. // 9

Lyrics: Oh, God. James Hetfield must be one hell of a multi-tasker. Writing lyrics about insanity, death, and destruction, then playing amazing rhythm guitar tracks while singing said lyrics takes a special kind of talent. Hetfield's vocals are arguably the best of the thrash pack's, over Slayer's shouting, Anthrax's half-shouted, half-sung (high sung), and Megadeth's growly, slightly whiny vocals. Hetfield has an unmistakable growl here that spouts out lyrics with a vengeance. He adds little tidbits here and there that make the songs even more effective. Group-shouted vocals in Battery also help. The lyrics themselves are clean (aside from Damage, Inc.) so those with nosy parents are well-off, and though not as, say, interesting, as those of Slayer or Megadeth, they are well-written and powerful. // 9

Overall Impression: Overall, this CD is a definite buy for any metalhead. It ranks up in my top three beside Slayer's masterful Reign In Blood and Led Zeppelin's immortal IV. I overall, can't say I hate anything here (surprising for one as critical as myself). Master of Puppets, Battery, and Damage Inc. and superb masterpieces that rock harder than ever before in Metallica's lifetime (and, ironically, ever since). Sadly, this CD (after a friend borrowed it), broke when I was carrying it in my pocket and someone kicked the same pocket. I cried when I looked at it afterwards. So yes, it's that good. Buy it now, it's probably not just the best Metallica, thrash, or metal album, but the best thing to come out of the '80s, like, ever. // 10

Master Of Puppets Reviewed by: swift2k8, on august 14, 2008

Sound: The sound of the record when compared to anything today, is in all honesty, very bland. It sounds somewhat muddled and kind of smeared together. This doesn't ruin the album by any means. The guitar work is audible, the bass is faint, but my gripe is that the drums really fall into the background. I have no preference of instruments, but being the backbone of the band, the percussion should be a bit more notable. The drums on... And Justice for All were stamps of Lars in his prime. Crisp, clicky, and in your face. To me this album lacks that punch. // 8

Lyrics: Truth be told, the best lyrics on this album do not rest in the title track. *GASP* To me the best lyrics are in the worst song on the CD. "The Thing That Should Not Be". They paint a picture that no other song can. "Battery" and "Damage INC" lack that refinement. As if they belonged on Kill em All. The title track does have its moments, but it just ends up stating the same thing over again in each verse. "Welcome Home" would be better had the lyrics at the end made more of a connection to the early verses. They seem to just drift off (which may have been the point). James hit his prime on AJFA and the Black album. Here he is still a bit raw and quiet. His voice lacks the force of the latter records and in many of the songs seems to fade behind the guitars. // 8

Overall Impression: In all, this is not Metallica's best work. It is a milestone, it is iconic, but it is not their zenith. To me ...And Justice for All perfected what Metallica was and is known global for. Master of Puppets was a prerequisite step to attain that perfection. Battery and Damage INC will go down as some of the best start and end points of any album, but again, AJFA just out does every couterpart song. Except for the title track. That song is the face of Metallica (enter sandman a close second). The replay value of this CD is near endless, but in times will wear out. To me, this is the order of the Metallica masterpieces: ...And Justice for All, Ride The Lightning, Master Of Puppets. Enjoy the thrash revolution! // 8

Master Of Puppets Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 26, 2008

Sound: Ok, before I start, I'd like to say a few things: one, this is the album that got me into metal. I might still be listening to green day and bowling for soup and god knows what else if I never got my hands on this. two, I am a Metallica nut. I have all the albums except for the garage inc. (I think it's a piece of shit) and reload, which I used to have on tape but my sister recorded over it while singing hannah montana (god I hate her). The crunch of the guitars on this album is unbelievable. It's heavier than a 2000 pound sumo wrestler, so to speak. and the cool thing about metallica is that they are more melodic than the average thrash metal band. In "welcome home (sanitarium)" It's like tragedy inside of headphones, if you know what I'm getting at. Kirk Hammett and James Hetfield are the some of the greatest guitarists that metal has ever known. Lars Ulrich's drumming isn't his best, but it's much better than it's been in 20 years, and on top of all that, Cliff Burton is one of the greatest bassists in the past 20, or even 30 years. He wrote on most of the monster instrumental track "orion" and many of the others. // 10

Lyrics: I would like to point out first that James Hetfield is not a very professional singer. he has admitted himself that in the beginning he did not want to be a singer, just a rhythm guitarist, but sort of fell into the job. Still, he is still an awesome singer, and without him Metallica wouldn't sound right. I will show the meanings of the lyrics of each song. 01.Battery: the song is about a battery in the sense of fighting or beating up. There is also a positive and negative side to a battery, so that makes it part of the subject matter. 02.Master of Puppets: I listened to an interview with Lars Ulrich on VH1 and he said the song, ultimately is about being controlled by someone or something else, whether it be drugs, or something else. Some of it even quotes drug addiction ("cut your breakfast on a mirror" - cocaine) 03.The Thing That Should Not Be: listening to the lyrics, one might think the song would be about a sea monster or some other beast. ("fearless wretch, insanity, he watches, lurking beneath the sea") but the song is an adaption of the story "The Shadow over the Innsmouth." 04.Welcome Home (Sanitarium): the lyrics are very sad and tragic and about the book "One Flew over the cuckoo's nest" which is about someone who is an insane asylum (a sanitarium) 05.Disposable Heroes: it is a song about Soldiers who explain the pain and horror of being at war, and how soldiers (heroes) lives are taken away with no thought in mind. 06.Leper Messiah: this is about televangelist bullshit and how people are using christianity falsely to get money ("give me money, give me green, heaven you will meet") 07.Orion: this is an instrumental, so there are no words. 08.Damage inc.: it doesn't seem to have a clear meaning, but I think it's about standing up to opression or something like that. // 9

Overall Impression: Most people say that Slayer's Reign In Blood album is the greatest thrash metal album. I have to disagree, because this album moved me in a way that I can't explain with words. If you're into other speed/thrash metal, you will definitely love the songs "battery", "damage Inc.", "Disposable Heroes", and "Master of Puppets." For people who like the slower but heavier songs, you should definitely listen to "Leper Messiah", "The Thing that should not be", and "Orion". For that touch of individuality and good taste, you should listen to "welcome home (sanitarium) which personally is my favorite metallica song, because it's so melodic and so heavy at the same time. It says to list what I love and hate. well that would take hours and hours of typing and I would get carpal tunnel. I don't hate anything off the album though, except the part in orion where it gets slower and the guitars do that swelling riff up and down. That is really cool but doesn't really fit to me right there. it's a little herky jerky. If this album was stolen from me, I would take a flying v and hit him over the head repeatedly with the bottom of it and when he was on the ground, I would proceed to stab him in the eyes until blind and then puncture his belly button with the headstock so hard it would come out his bunghole. I would then begin to go to the store to buy a new copy of it, because I love it so much. // 10

Master Of Puppets Reviewed by: mqsand2112, on january 30, 2009

Sound: A good strong album for Metallica, one of their best in my opinoin. The music in this album is pretty diverse as they have fast paced heavy songs such as Battery, and Disposable Heroes versus slow and melodic songs like Welcome Home(Sanitarium) and the diversity even goes so far as to place an instrumental song, Orion, in the album. I think the sound represents the whole idea of Metallica being an awesome, true metal band. The one thing about Metallica that never goes away is theat they have almost a perfect sense of rhythm and timing, Lars seems to always keep everyone together and on time. That makes for easy mixing, when adding special effects. Best song soundwise for this album is Master Of Puppets. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics in this album are pretty deep, but they don't got to far and are very easy to grasp and understand. A lot of music by Mettalica focuses on or around death, especially with their new album Death Magnetic. In Master of Puppets it is the same theme except a little more abstract, the idea of someone controlling your life like a puppet deciding when you die. But the most amazing set of lyrics on this album is the of The Welcome Home(Sanitarium) track. The idea of being trapped inside a mental institute and starting a revolt from within is a very unique idea that has not been used by many, I wonder how the band came up with that anyway. Another good song with great lyrics was Disposable Heroes, that is an interesting storyline, and I wonder if it lead to the creation of One, on the Justice For All album. But the best song lyrically on this album was Welcome Home(Sanitarium). // 9

Overall Impression: The overall impression of the album was great, and leaves the listener feeling like they just want to get lost in the music that the band creates. In comparison to other Metallica albums I think that this is the best when you look at the newer stuff Metallica has come up with, but when compared to the older albums I'm not so sure that it's their best. Definetly a most memorable album that we will all hold close on our record shelves. The best song overall for this particular album is Master of Puppets. // 9

Master Of Puppets Reviewed by: mqsand2112, on january 30, 2009

Master Of Puppets Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 30, 2009

Sound: What shall we say about the sound to one of the greatest metal albums ever? In some metallica albums are the bass weak or almost non existent. This is not the case here. Burtons bass is at a perfect level, and he plays even better than usual on this album. The guitars have a real heavy tone, and some songs such as Damage Inc. can you hear how they have so little middle tones. and whats more fantastic is that the drums is not too loud and with a funny noise as lars have found a drum-sound he should have had all the time. An excellent sound. // 10

Lyrics: drugs, war, death, old Metallica as we now it. But what really is good is James's voice. Hetfield is so good singing that he doesnt need to shout or scream. the opening track "Battery" can clearly you hear his improvement from Lightning - album. you think its to good to be true, but he actually sing that well rest of the album. an aggressiv old Hetfield vocal. Hetfield was at that time one of and if not the best metal singers in the late eighties. really imressive singing. // 10

Overall Impression: Many say that Master Of Puppets is the best thrash album ever. And I am fully agreed with them. its the little higher riff quality than AJFA and more comlpex than Reign In Blood. The song Master Of Puppets often told as their signature song have epic riffs in all the song. Battery is so perfectly aggressive. Sanitarium, a adored song by even not Metallica-fans. and you got disposable heroes too as one og the best songs ever made. If I lost my CD will i do everything to get it back. // 10

Master Of Puppets Reviewed by: ew94, on september 01, 2009

Sound: After winning me over with Ride The Lightning, I couldn't wait for their new album. After two long years, Metallica came back wih their greatest album. And this album couldn't be anymore than their magnum opus, Master Of Puppets. Kirk's and James' guitars come with the crunchiest and punchiest sound in any album, Lars' drums pound as if God himself was playing and last but not least, the bass playing from the late Cliff Burton couldn't have beeen any more clearer and perfected than it was. // 9

Lyrics: Let's break each song one by one: 01.Battery: anyone who has truly experienced rage knows that there is hardly anything more potent and pure than that rush, and they are reminded of that when they hear this song. The song structure itself is a microcosm of the event, with the clean guitar piece in the beginning, escalating to that frenzied riff. Hmmmph, think I'll go out and smash something now... 10/10 02.Master Of Puppets: Battery has ended. A slight whisper of the silent tape mars the perfect silence. A lethal guitar sound starts. I had resolved to resist it this time. It's no use. The right finger moves towards the volume wheel of the Walkman steadily, as if under the command of a spell. The sound output increases to a maximum. My headphones pump the music inches from my soft, pink brain. The eyes are wide, slightly tearful as the brain reels under the assault of heavy metal music at its best and fiercest. I am carried through music sweet and bitter till a million heads laugh in my head. I manage to gather myself together, just sufficiently to push stop. I am as if stoned. 100/10 03.The Thing That Should Not Be: the song isn't as inspiring, or as technically impressive as the other songs on Master of Puppets, but the atmosphere more than makes up for it. This song will be 10X better if you read "The Call of Cthulu" by H.P. Lovecraft. The song itself sounds like it's going insane, and the repetitive nature of the song is meant to be oppressive and maddening. This song is just way too heavy for some people, and those are the people that don't like it. Definitely one of the heaviest(in the truest sense of the word) metal songs ever recorded. 9/10 04.Welcome Home (Sanitarium): the song is a confession from a man who lives in a society where he's misunderstood and where if he tries to think against society's will he becomes a sort of an outcast. They try to send him 'straight' boycotting him blaming him for things that aren't true labeling him 'mentally deranged'. He takes refuge in his own world of dreams. He wishes the world would be a better place to be. In his mind he creates a revolution, which is bound to fail. It's a cry for help, unheard by anyone. 8/10 05.Disposable Heroes: I love this song because our government feeds us propaganda from the time we're born to think that being a soldier is so glamorous, but in reality the government doesn't give a shit out of any of us and every soldier is really just a disposable tool the buereaucratic machine exploits to get more money and then just throws it away, because there is an endless supply of disposable heroes. We all need to escape the governments mind control over us and think for ourselves. Just ask yourself what you're fighting for? Is it worth your life to maintain safety and prosperity for the rich and greedy? For the ones that make you 50 hours a week, holding a shitty wage over your head, and controlling your life with a dollar bill. The fact that they attempt to screw you in every situation possible? America brainwashes us to think we're fighting to maintain the great American way of life, but the "great American life" is a life of slavery. 9/10 06.Leper Messiah: the first time I read the lyrics to this song I thought they were condemning Christianity and religion in general, now that I reread them, however, they seem to be talking solely about corrupt churches with corrupt ministers, and not condemning Christianity as a whole. I'm suddenly reminded of hearing a story about how sometime in the 80s there was a preacher saying that God told him he would die if he didn't get one million dollars from his church. 9/10 07.Orion: this was the song played at Cliff Burton's funeral. The middle of the song sounded kind of spacey and starry, so they called it "Orion". I don't know what inspired them to write this, though. One more thing to say, RIP Cliff Burton. 10/10 08.Damage Inc.: this song is a call of non-conformity. The entire album centers around forces, people or powers which dictate the lives of people and force them to do things against their will. This song, which is at the end of the album, finally calls out for the 'puppet' to cut the strings of the master and take control of their own life by any means necessary, even through revolution and violence. 10/10 // 9

Overall Impression: All in all, this is pretty much one of the most influencial albums in the history of thrash metal. The songs that have really made me fall in love with this album are Master Of Puppets, Damage Inc. and Leper Messiah. The last thing I'm gonna say is this. R.I.P Cliff Burton // 10

More Metallica reviews rating latest review
+ King Nothing [Single] 9.4 05/26/2014