Metallica Review

metallica: Metallica
Release Date: Aug 12, 1991
Label: Elektra
Genres: Speed Metal, Heavy Metal, Thrash, Hard Rock
Metallica is a good, but not quite great, album, one whose best moments deservedly captured the heavy metal crown.
 8.9
 9.1
 8.7
Metallica Reviewed by: metallica4evr, on september 05, 2005

Sound: Metallica has slowed down oh the horror! Yes everone was shocked to hear that Metallica, the speed metal kings (don't give me those looks, I'm not here to argue with Slayer and Megadeth fans 'cause I am a fan of those bands too) have slowed down to deliver more melodic songs. This is not a bad thing! They are still very heavy. Heavy does not mean music so fast that you have a concussion when you headbang to it (although that's the kind most people including me prefer). On this, Metallica's 5th studio album, we hear slower but somewhat more serious guitar riffs. Unlike previous albums such as Master Of Puppets, this album has riffs with more rhythm than just speed (compare 'Battery' and 'Enter Sandman'). It is true that they have slowed down but they are still fast, it's not like they started singing blues (read reviews on Load). Less emphasis is put on guitar solos on this album but yet Kirk Hammet has done some of his best work on this album like the solos from 'Wherever I May Roam' and from 'The Unforgiven' (don't expect a solo like the solo from 'One' or 'Master Of Puppets'). There are 2 ballads on this album 'The Unforgiven' and 'Nothing Else Matters'. They have sort of reversed their regular formula for a ballad with 'The Unforgiven'. Instead of having a slow verse and heavy chorus they have a heavy verse and a slow chorus. The other ballad I mentioed shows a sensitive side of mr. James Hetfield. He sings about his ex-girlfriend. The song is slow and even has some orchestral stuff on it (actually it was this song that inspired S&M). The bass frequencies have been turned up on this album. Instead of just playing along with the drums like on previous albums Jason Newsted plays along with the guitars. This change is welcome as you could barely hear the bass on '...And Justice For All'. The song on this album is really good, not necessarily an improvement from previous albums in terms of style but definitely an improvement on technical stuff like frequencies etc. // 10

Lyrics: Metallica's lyrics have defintely improved since Kill'Em All. Most of the time you really have to think what they are singing about instead of just being told 'scanning the scene on the city tonight, looking for you to start up a fight'. The lyrics are really good and made even better by James' voice. He is my favortie lead singer ever. // 10

Overall Impression: Personally, I think that Master Of Puppets is Metallica's best but this albums comes in second or maybe third (I am considering Ride The Lightning because of Fade To Black and The Call Of Ktulu). Any Metallica fan should own this album even if your're a fan of old Metallica, you should get this. Heck every metal fan should own this album. Metallica is the best band ever in my view even though they basically went dwonhill after this album (read the reviews for Load and St. Anger). I love the fact that they uppped the bass. I love this album and will without a doubt buy it again if it was lost. // 10

Metallica Reviewed by: Flea_Metallica, on november 25, 2005

Sound: This f--king CD rocked! Seriously really great songs on there. Loved most of it though but the ones I liked made up for the ones I didn't like. My three favorite songs on this CD are Enter Sandman, Nothing Else Matters, and My Friend Of Misery. It was a little diverse for instance Wherever I May Roam included a Sitar, Nothing Else Matters showed more of the softer side, but it was still a good track. // 10

Lyrics: James seems to amaze me everytime I listen to one of his creative records, of course this was one of them. The lyrics and the voice fit in perfectly with the music. Especially on Enter Sandman and Nothing Else Matters. To me James is one of the best vocalists out there you can't go wrong with this guy he's great. // 10

Overall Impression: The best songs are Enter Sandman, NEM, My friend of Misery, The Unforgiven, Sad But True, Wherever I May Roam, The God that Failed, and Of Wolf & Man. I kinda didn't like how their music at that point, but it was good either way nothing that bad. If it were stolen I wouldn't buy it again cause it'd be on my computer. // 10

Metallica Reviewed by: merabharatmahan, on february 11, 2006

Sound: The album is an good one from Metallica. It is much softer to their earlier albums like Master of Puppets and Ride the Lightning. Though softer, it is an really good album with some amazing songs. Metallica have been different in this album and have some semi-hard songs and some semi-soft ones. Though many people call this the first bad metallica album in a series of others I believe it is an really good album. It has some exceptional songs like Enter Sandman, Nothing Else Matters and The Unforgiven. Wherever I Roam is a song written about their constant touring. Enter Sandman is their second most popular song. // 9

Lyrics: It has some really lyrics ranging from Enter Sandman to Unforgiven. It has a lot of versatility and the music fits in really well with the lyrics. James Hetfield as usual has been exceptional with the lyrics and singing. Though his voice is relatively softer on this album it goes well with the music. // 9

Overall Impression: Though not one of their best albums it is a really good one. Some really good songs are Nothing Else Matters, Wherever I May Roam, Unforgiven and Enter Sandman. This is a really good album and a must buy for all rock fans. If ever lost I would definitely buy 3 CD's and gift 2 to my freinds. // 10

Metallica Reviewed by: Battman1993, on november 07, 2011

Sound: I'm about to p-ss off 95% of the Metallica fanboys that roam on UG. I prefer 90's-2000's Metallica over 80's Metallica. There's two reasons for that. One, thrash isn't really my thing. Second, I prefer the songwriting of 90's Metallica. Therefore, I am here to review Metallica's self-titled classic (I just call it the "Black Album" and will refer to this CD as that). The "Black Album" was released in 1991, right as grunge was being born and hair metal was being shot to hell. Many people back then (and today) freaked out that Metallica started their relationship with producer Bob Rock on this album. They all said, "Bob Rock was Bon Jovi's producer, oh no this is awful!!!". However, people forget that Bob Rock also produced Motley Crue's "Dr. Feelgood", which is widely regarded as Motley's best album, and I never hear anyone b-tch about it, so it can't be that bad. Few people know that when Metallica first met w/ Bob Rock, he asked them what they wanted to do for their next record, and Lars (I assume) threw down "Dr. Feelgood" on Bob's desk and said "We want that." Enough on that end though. The other reason Metallica went the style they did on this album is because James and Lars mainly were getting sick of playing concerts of just 8 minute long thrash songs, and as we know, whatever Lars wants, Lars Ulrich f--king gets. Let's go to the album shall we? The record isn't thrash at all, although a couple tracks could be considered melodic thrash. Most of the record is hard rock. Albeit very, very, very f--king heavy-as-an-anvil hard rock. The guitar riffs are more rhythmic instead of the thrash noodling of Metallica's past (Most of the riffs are repetitive, oh no! The horror! JK). The low-end dominates the album, with Lars and Jason Newsted powering each song with a heavy groove. Honestly, I think this was the first groove metal album, but that's just me. Kirk is always playing very melodic solos on the "Black Album". I'm just going to review each track. 01. "Enter Sandman" - The first single, and the song that sold this album initially. The riff is unforgettable, and is embedded in the mind of every metal fan of the last twenty years. "Enter Sandman" is heard everywhere. Sports stadiums, TV shows, movies, it's like the plague. However, it's an amazingly good plague. This song made Metallica instead the mainstream giants they are today. 02. "Sad But True" - After the classic "Enter Sandman", how do you follow it up? With arguably the heaviest Metallica song ever. It's a mid-tempo track, with an awesome riff and the heaviest groove on the entire album. Kick-a-s solo. 03. "Holier Than Thou" - All you Metallica fanboys crying for a thrash song? This is the closest you'll get to it. 04. "The Unforgiven" - The (first) ballad on the "Black Album". Why is it Metallica puts all their ballads as the fourth track on every album? Anyways, it's kind of a reverse ballad. The chorus is soft but the rest of the track is heavy. Kirk's solo is actually fingerpicked on this cut. 05. "Wherever I May Roam" - Honestly kind of a rewrite of "Enter Sandman", but with a slower verse and heavy as hell chorus. One of my favorites. 06. "Don't Tread On Me" - Eh, kind of filler. Not entirely memorable. 07. "Through The Never" - faster, more thrashy, but kind of the same case here as on "Don't Tread On Me". 08. "Nothing Else Matters" - This is the one that pissed off Metallica fans the most. Strings give this ballad an orchestra vibe. I've heard this one defined as "elevator music". Really thoughtful lyrics, and Kirk's solo is great. 09. "Of Wolf & Man" - One of my favorites. Kind of a marching thrash-eque track, but not fast. More mid-tempo. 10. "The God That Failed" - Another mid-tempo track. Guitar tone sounds very different from the other tracks. The guitar sound is ironically similar to the main tones on "Load"/"Re-Load". Really good lyrics on this one. My favorite song on here. 11. "My Friend Of Misery" - This is my second favorite track on the "Black Album". Not as heavy in the verses, but not a ballad by any means. 12. "The Struggle Within" - I have nothing really to say about this one. I don't really notice it. // 9

Lyrics: James Hetfield. Today he is regarded as one of metal's best frontmen. But back in 1991, his voice was still developing. The biggest issue people have with this album is the fact that Bob Rock urged James to sing instead of growling. I'm honestly glad BR did that. James has a great voice. It's kind of raspy/gravelly, and it won't impress anyone with great range, but James has the perfect voice for Metallica. On "The Unforgiven", James also showed in the chorus that he could sing softly and clean. The lyrics are f--king brilliant IMO. Earlier Metallica albums mainly focused on politics and drugs (Ok topics, but it gets boring after awhile you know?). On this one, James began to shift his pen towards himself. "Holier Than Thou" and "The God That Failed" are about James' mother. "Holier Than Thou" is about her devotion to her faith and her attitude towards people who didn't share that same devotion. "The God That Failed" references how James' mother still showed her devotion to her faith even when she was dying of cancer, and James is basically saying that God failed her because she died. "The Unforgiven" is about James' childhood. "Wherever I May Roam" is about life as a rockstar essentially. "Nothing Else Matters" is either about James' ex-girlfriend or about drugs. "Don't Tread On Me" is a big f--k you to the PMRC, who were trying to censor music and spread lies about heavy metal. Overall, sheer motherf--king genius from James Hetfield. // 9

Overall Impression: I know I'm in an extremely small majority who would take "Black Album", "Load"/"Re-Load", and "St. Anger" over "Kill 'em All", "Ride The Lighting", "Master Of Puppets" & "...And Justice For All". I do enjoy the first four albums now and then, but I'm not a thrash person. I much prefer the groovier, melodic hard rock of Metallica in the 1990's. For me, the "Black Album" is like my "White Album". It's the perfect album for me. It's heavy, intelligent, but still hard rock. I recommend it to anyone and if it was lost/stolen I wouldn't hesitate to replace it. // 9

Metallica Reviewed by: Nightstrider, on may 19, 2007

Sound: Ah, yes, the infamous "Black Album," heralded by many and often spat upon as well. This is widely considered to be the flash point in Metallica's evolution (or deterioration if you prefer), where they traded in their already comfortable thrash stylings for an even more streamlined hard rock/heavy metal sound. So is this a bad thing or a good thing? Well, let's break this album down, shall we? First up, we have "Enter Sandman". You know this song, it's the one your little brother bops his head to and the kids at the mall swear by and the one that was in your local politician's ad campaign; in other words, it's been played to death... and then some. As sick as I am of hearing it though, it would be unfair to say it completely sucks. Looking at it objectively, one can see just why it was so popular: it's got that basic heavy riff that you can't help but move your head (to some degree) to. Sure it's not great, but it's catchy. "Sad but True" is another generic heavy song, in the vein of "Enter Sandman", only with that start-stop headbanging riff. Problem is, after you've heard it a couple of times, you won't want to do much but maybe bop your head a bit. "Holier than Thou" is just irritating. Groovy, simplistic riff + James Hetfield's grating voice + awful lyrics = skip button. "The Unforgiven" is actually a surprisingly good song. It's got a good little quiet intro, before it picks up. Decent lyrics too (better than some of the half-wit prose on this album). Next up is the obligatory pseudo-Middle Eastern song that every band seems to do at least once in their career (to varying degrees of sucess). "Wherever I May Roam" is actually a decent song at it's core, though. It's enjoyable, even if Hetfield's voice really screws with it in places. And, oh sweet assorted deities, we have the insipid "patriotic" anthem. You know the type, the one that says "I LUV AM3R1CA!!" fifty-thousand different ways overtop an overused, derivative riff. Jesus Christ, where the hell is that skip button?! "Through the Never" sounds like it could almost be a passable thrash song if it ever got it's act together. Really though, it's just boring as hell. And of course, the ballad, which every fanboy of modern-day Metallica will try and pass off as the reason anybody of differing opinion dislikes this album. Let me say first off, that I like ballads. I love songs like "Infinite Dreams", "Waiting for a Savior", "Rust", "Tears of the Dragon", "A Question of Heaven", all of Metallica's previous ballads and a million others. And you know what? I actually do like "Nothing Else Matters". Sure, it's pretty commercial and overdone, but it's got some nice accoustic work, a decent solo and it doesn't try to be generically heavy, like the rest of this album. "Of Wolf and Man" is also pretty good. Again, it's got that same aftertaste of assembly line, mass-produced metal, but you take what you can get on this album. "The God That Failed" is alright. It has that start-stop thing going too, but hey, the chorus is decent and ultimately saves it. And at least the lyrics manage to rhyme without being completely bone-headed. "My Friend of Misery" makes me alternate between cringing at the awkward transitions, and apathy. It's alright, I guess. And finally, "The Struggle Within" finishes this thing off. It starts with some military drumming that leads into, you guessed it, another forgettable riff. Hetfield's excruciating vocals are in full force here too, making me just want to skip this particular ending number. // 6

Lyrics: Lyrically, this album varies from awful to mediocre to unintentional comedic gold. Some songs are passable in their lyrical content, while others are just aggravating (see: Don't Tread on Me). The overall mediocrity of the lyrics does pretty much fit the bland riffs though. Unfortunately, Hetfield's vocals really started to slip here, and we can hear him start to develop that maddening modern rawk twang. Don't come expecting any of those awesome growls a la "Kill 'Em All" kids. But then again, you would never buy this album expecting anything approaching the seminal debut. // 5

Overall Impression: At the end of the day, this is really just a cookie-cutter album. There is no innovation here, there's not even anything truly satifying. This album marked the time when Metallica felt content to fully embrace the attitude of MTV cuddling they had adopted for "Master Of Puppets" and take a big dump on fans of their previous style. There is no substance here, just the same boring, formulaic crap you hear on the radio. Brittney Spears wishes she had this kind of production, but who really cares when there is nothing to listen to? I'll take my fuzzy, garage-recorded copy of Bathory's debut over this any day. Ultimately, this album has but one useful purpose from my perspective. It serves as something of a gateway to draw new fans into metal, much the same way Master of Puppets did. And, like Master of Puppets, most of those kids will pass this album by after they've been listening to metal for more than a year (unless they get caught up in that agonizing phenomenon presented in the mass-media as "nu-metal"). This is literally the first time in over a year that I have listened to this album and this is purely for the sake of review. At the end of the day, there are much better ways to spend your cash. Pick it up from a bargain bin maybe, just so you know how full of crap people are when they put it on a pedestal. // 5

Metallica Reviewed by: kfong03, on june 02, 2008

Sound: As expected of any Metallica album, the sound is well produced and plenty heavy, it may not be as thrashy master of puppets or the other early metallica albums, but this doesn't mean this album is rubbish, quite the opposite, there are many good riffs on this album, from the over-played "Enter Sandman" and sinister "Sad But True" to songs like "Of Wolf and Man". The bass and drums in this album aren't as showy as previos Metallica material but this doesn't necessarily ruin the album, in fact, it helps us focus more deeply on the guitars and vocals, which are very well done on the album. Metallica = Kirk Hammett = Killer Solos, this assumption would hold true as indeed there are great solos in every song. The solos range from lengthy shred in "The God That Failed" to some sweet licks as heard in "Enter Sandman", James even manages to do a solo in "Nothing Else Matters", which is a great emotional solo inside a beautiful ballad, so as said before, great sound on this album that really shouldn't be judged down simply it's not as heavy as the earlier Metallica stuff. // 9

Lyrics: Lyrics are a hard one on this album, some of them are pretty well thought out and put together whilst others just seem all over the place. Not a strong point of the album but I don't think it actively ruins the music so I'd let it go. But since it's Metallica why not just focus on the sound anyway? // 7

Overall Impression: Metallica by Metallica. Probably one of the most special metal albums ever released, why? because it provides the gap between hard rock and good old thrash, but lot's of people don't seem to appreciate it just because it isn't "heavy enough". Please do not hold that kind of assumption when listening to this album, it's a fine piece of work that helped the band reach new heights of success and as such it should be seen as a good album with many inspiring guitar licks, interesting rthym and sound, which it is. // 9

Metallica Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 17, 2004

Sound: Metallicas 5th studio album. The sound quality is very good, the songs are shorter, more simple and mainstream, and overall much better sound than their previous release ...And Justice For All. Metallica has also changed their style, no more trash/speed metal (so don't buy this if you want it to sound like old Metallica) just pure heavy metal. Which is good. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics are very well written and deep. Especially the songs Nothing Else Matters and The Unforgiven has great lyrics. Hetfield sings great, his voice is different compared with the earlier albums, more mature now. // 8

Overall Impression: Well overall this is a good album by Metallica. Not nearly as good as their first 4 albums but still good. My favorite songs on this album are: The Unforgiven, Wherever I May Roam, Holier Than Thou and Nothing Else Matters. The album also contains radio hits such as Enter Sandman and Sad But True, but these songs are not that good imo. I would recommand this album if you're into heavy metal and not a fan of Metallica's music. But if you like trash/speed metal (like me) go get Kill'Em All, Ride The Lightning, Master Of Puppets and Justice For All. // 6

Metallica Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 14, 2005

Sound: The Black Album to me is probably the best album made by the band. Most people say no because it was the transition from heavy metal to more mainstream rock&roll. However there are some heavy parts to keep the old fans happy, there is also new musical styles that attracted new fans to Metallica. The reason I love this album is because it isnt just one idea then spread into 8-10 songs (for example ...And Justice For All was about one topic and the songs all had the same feel and lyrical similaraties). The sound quality is almost perfected in this album. Bob Rock did an excellent job with the production. The sound is Metallica at there best. // 10

Lyrics: As I said before the album isnt about one main idea then the songs carry different ideas lyrically under teh same subject. It is just a bunch of great songs one after the other. Here is a review for each song. 01. Enter Sandman - the song would become Metallica's trademark song through the '90s. The lyrics take on nightmarish qualities that people all have as children. Even though this isn't a topic not normally chosen by Metallica, the lyrics, guitar, drums, and bass are excellent in this song. 5/5. 02. Sad But True - probably one of the heaveist riffs done by Metallica in recent years. The lyrics take on personal struggle with one self on how a persons "dark side" trys to consume the "good side." Drums were excellent in this song as was the rest of teh band. 5/5. 03. Holier Than Thou - I know I might get laugfed at but I really enjoy this song. Becuase of the mood, feel, and the attitude in the intro. I can see why this isn't really a popular song with the fans when the lyrics kick in but I like it the way it is. 4/5. 04. The Unforgiven - the acustical intro brings more of a western fell into the song. Something not ever ventured by the band. The lyrics are probably the most enjoyable on the album. Its ballady/heavy feel makes it a great song. The one thing I can go on and on about would be teh great solo by Kirk Hammet. It gives the song a whole new meaning. 5/5. 05. Whearever I May Roam - the bands calling card for the next 3-4 years. A great song baout life on the road. One of the more over-played songs on the radio, which makes it to some people not as good, but still an awseon song. 5/5. 06. Don't Tread On Me - I love this song because it isnt an anti-American song. Many new bands try to go anti-American just to gte noticed I think. The solo in the song is one of my favorite solos done by the band. When its played live, it is one of the greatest song played. 5/5. 07. Through The Never - one of Metallica's fastest riffs on the album. Lyrical wise I think it is very weak. It could of been done better. But it is still a fun song to listen to. If you listen closely the bass is palyed very well by Jason. 4/5. 08. Nothing Else Matters - Metallica's sole reason for being a great band, they are not afraid of doing a slow acustical ballad. A great song and the orchestra did a great job scoring and playing in the song. This song deserves full credit for everything. A great solo by Mr. Hetfield too. 5/5. 09. Of Wolf And Man - cool song with clever guitar and drum playing. The lyrics are awesome and are also very clever. The song flows very well. I like it becuase it can be interpreted in many ways. 5/5. 10. The God That Failed - a personal song from James. It deals about how he delt with the death of his mother. A great riff and teh bass intro is equally awesome. Great song 5/5. 11. My Friend Of Misory - the bass intro was awesome and well thought out on Jason's part. I only have to complain on the solo only because it just simply sounds wierd. However teh lyrics help the song alot. 4/5. 12. The Struggle Within - the snare drum intro with the heavy guitar helps shape the mood of the song. After the intro the mediocre-fast guitar riff kicks in and the lyrics flow very well in the song. This is one of my favorite non-radio song on the Black Album. 5/5. // 10

Overall Impression: This album is truly an inspiration to all aspiering musicians. The best songs on the album were probably "Enter Sandman," "Sad but True," "Unforgiven," "Roam" and "Struggle Within." If it was stole I would for surely buy another one. // 10

Metallica Reviewed by: superguitarist1, on november 28, 2005

Sound: The sound is very good. I love the heavy style of music. This is one of the earliest albums (it's probably the first, but I'm not sure). So I think that Cliff Rodgers (or whatever his last name is) is on the CD playing his bass. So you've got the amazing Metallica, their amazing songs, and just about everything else is amazing. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are all over the place. In a good way of course. Every song talks about a different thing. Some are stories, and some are factually based possibilities. And it's no problem for them to match lyrics with the music. And the lead singer is no Frank Sonatra (for those of you who know what that means), but who cares? // 8

Overall Impression: I have only listened to Master Of Puppets and this album by them, and the music styles are very similar, of course that's expected. My favorite songs off this album are; Enter Sandman, Sad But True, and Nothing Else Matters. I don't hate anything about the album, but there's always room for improvement. And I don't curentlyown the CD, but I'd definitely buy it again. // 9

Metallica Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 06, 2004

Sound: This has got to be one of the best rock albums ever. With musically incredible songs such as Nothing Else Matters and awesome riffs as in Enter Sandman and Sad But True this album proves to be Metallica at their musical best. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics have such meaning in this album and have been constructed in such a way that includes memories and desire. // 10

Overall Impression: This is the best album ever. Metallica have nothing else quite like this album. 'Nothing Else Matters' is the best song of all time and just shows that Metallica can produce songs other than thrash. I'd also just like to say that despite the other reviews, St. Anger is the worst album by Metallica. // 10

Metallica Reviewed by: RideTheLighting, on january 17, 2005

Sound: Metallica's 5th studio album "The Black Album" has differnt sounds from the other other albums. Kirk whips out his Crybaby Wah pedal on most of the solos, James takes a break from his downpicking, Jason has a better bass sound. This is a more mature Metallica. There not the "speed metal" band from Kill'Em All. Or the thrash metal band from MOP or AJFA. There more of a hard rock band on this album. // 6

Lyrics: The lyrics on this song are more deep. Nothing Else Matters has lyrics about love, a more mature version of Fade To Black, The Unforgiven has the most emotional lyrics I've ever heard from Metallica. If you listen to the lyrics of the "Kill'Em All" album and you hear the lyrics on this album, you'll see how Metallica has changed during the past years. // 8

Overall Impression: Ever since the '90s Metallica has changed alot. This is a good album and I would recommend to all the Metallica fans. Or if you don't like metal at all this a good album to start off with. So go buy this album even if your a emo kid who likes Good Charlotte! // 8

Metallica Reviewed by: da_het_from_met, on october 24, 2003

Sound: What can i say? A musical masterpiece that influenced many-a-wannabe! The album is close to perfection (not quite master of puppets), the quality of Riff in this album is as good as it gets for the 90's. The disappointing thing is, that this was the start of a Creative decline for the Boys in Black. But, don't let this deterr from the musical quality of the CD! The album is much simpler than it's recent predecessor "AJFA" the song structure is more condensed, and the songs for this improve in variation and quality. The song is also filled with classic 90's rock anthems. Enter Sandman and The Unforgiven and Nothing Else Matters typify this. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics... Nothing short of Superb! The Unforgiven's eerie feel, suits the lyrics perfectly, and Nothing Else Matters Demonstates James' Softer side. My Friend Of Misery and Sad but True are typically Metallica songs.. with Angry lyrics and crunching riffs. Above all the album ventures into many different lyrical styles! // 10

Overall Impression: The album is fantastic! But it's still not the best! It's pretty hard to top an album like Master... But in this installment.. Metallica have given it a damn good go! If you don't already own this album.. then BUY IT! Because Metallica have created well... the best thrash albums ever! And this is a fantastic offering for those looking more towards a more "Softer" sounding metallica compared to other efforts! // 10

Metallica Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 10, 2003

Sound: This is a great album which is just as good as any of their others with the exception of Master of Puppets. The riffs are are excellent and so are Kirks solos especially the one on enter Sandman done with the wah-wah pedal. Not all the songs are heavy The Unforgiven and Nothing else Matters show metallicas lighter sound. The guitars have that classic Metallica sound making it a great album. // 10

Lyrics: James Hetfield yet again has shown some of the best lyrics that heavy metal have to offer. They are just brilliant in enter sandman they're about a kids thoughts in the dark and nothing else matters shows his lighter side. // 10

Overall Impression: This album is in the top 5 (in my opinion) of the best albums of all time and if you like Heavy metal this is an album for you. The best songs are Enter sandman, Sad but true and The unforgiven. I love the pounding riffs and drums and I don't really hate anything about it. If it was stolen I'd either buy a new one or track the guy down and kick his ass and take ut back.So if you don't have it get it and why your their getmaster of puppets it rocks too. // 10

Metallica Reviewed by: benzep, on november 19, 2003

Sound: For this record, the music styles were mainly plain out Metallica Heavy metal sound. The thing I especially like about the album is that it it has two nice songs, that slowly develope into a cool, distorted, solo (Nothing Else Matters; The Unforgiven). Great quality. // 10

Lyrics: I like the lyrics. It's not explicit, like St. Anger, so I think that the younger rock/metal lovers can get used to this album. The lyrics go well with the music. I think it's really cool that James is a good singer and a good guitarist at the same time, not even being the lead. The lyrics are very good. // 10

Overall Impression: This cd is a good Metallica start off, for new people to explore. But as you move on you start to stop listening to it. I just listened to it a few days ago and enjoyed it. But if you don't like this cd and want to move on, I would suggest "Riding the Lightning". // 10

Metallica Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 19, 2004

Sound: At some point in their career, a band may take a step in a new direction. This was Metallica's big change, and I'm very glad they took it. I'm not saying they're first four albums were bad or simply "not good", not at all. Anyways, the music on this record is quite different than that of their previous releases. The songs are shorter, they use the wah pedal a lot more, and the guitar riffs are easier to play. These are definitely riffs people will hear 10, 20, 30 years from now and think, "That's Metallica!" when they hear them. James and Kirk are guitar gods. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are also very different. They are no longer the fiercely anti-war, CNN type things that appeared on Kill'em, Lightning, Puppets, and Justice. James Hetfield decided to dig a little deeper and find other things to write about. This time, the lyrics focus more on life, fear, love (Nothing Else Matters), and other such things. // 10

Overall Impression: This is not only one of my favorite Metallica albums, it is one of my favorite albums period. This is definitely one of the most impressive albums ever made. The best songs are, obviously, Enter Sandman, Sad But True, The Unforgiven, Wherever I May Roam, Nothing Else Matters, and The God That Failed is also a badass song. This album is absolutely flawless. Get this album. Get it, get it, get it, get it. No Metallica collection should ever be complete without it. // 10

Metallica Reviewed by: Taterdamillion, on march 15, 2004

Sound: It's okay. I think this album was the start of a nasty decline for Metallica. Now, I'm writing this review because the other five are no where near being critical enough. This album is not perfect. Hardly. It is not really Metallica. It's just not hard enough for me! And don't get me wrong, please. I'm saying the hard songs aren't hard enough. Actually, my favorite songs on this album are "Nothing Else Matters" and "The Unforgiven." even as I'm typing this, I'm wearing a Metallica T-shirt that says in big print on the back "NOTHING ELSE MATTERS!" So I'm not one of those people that get annoyed by Metallica's soft side. I just got this expecting something hard, fast, and aggressive. But I got something rarely hard, rarely aggressive, rarely fast, and with only one memorable riff (Enter Sandman). Just disappointing. // 6

Lyrics: The lyrics are okay. I guess. They're aren't as fun as the earlier stuff, but they're okay. Metallica is a lyrical god. They can do no wrong. Except for those aweful excuses for lyrics on St Anger. // 8

Overall Impression: Like I said before, I was disappointed. I just couldn't get into it. I give it an average because of my disappointment and my feelings that this album is amazingly average. // 6

Metallica Reviewed by: metOLIca, on may 04, 2004

Sound: The sound on this album is unbelievable, there is a wide range of songs on this album, Nothing Else Matters, a soft meaningful song, and then the Heavy dirty-riffed Sad But True, but still there is still there is a lack of bass, except at the start of 'The God That Failed' as it is only bass, but in the rest of the album it is still hard to make out what Jason is actually playing. And they cant have excusses liek they had in 1986 (Master Of Puppets Released) that the recorsing quality, they should be able to produce a good sound, where you can hear the bass. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics on this album are brilliant, unlike 'Ride The Lightning' were all the songs are about death, in 'Metallica' each song has a different story, Enter Sandman, about a child having nightmares, Nothing Else Matters, a little repeatative, but still amazing. // 10

Overall Impression: Ok, yes this album is amazing, but I dont think it is Metallica's best album, by far. In my opinion this is the order of Metallica's albums: 1 - Master Of Puppets 2 - Ride The Lightning 3 - And Justice For All 4 - Metallica 5 - Kill 'Em All 6 - ReLoad (just gets the edge over Load) 7 - Load 8 - St. Anger (I didnt include, Garage and S&M, there not proper albums, but still amazing) But don't get me wrong this is still an amazing piece of work by Metallica, hense why it is arguably the best album ever! If this was stolen/lost/broken I would definitly buy a new one, and another one just incase it happened again. // 10

Metallica Reviewed by: PsychoWolfD, on june 04, 2004

Sound: This was the 2nd album I bought that's by Metallica because my friends were talking about it and the songs in it and how good it was. It was a bit different than Master of Puppets, the first one I bought, but I liked it in its own way. It was still heavy, there were different kinds of riffs, an acoustic on "The Unforgiven", and 5 singles. The songs got a bit shorter than their past work. // 10

Lyrics: Hetfield exhibited a slight change in his vocal styles. Not as radical as Load/ReLoad but he had that style of "Yeah!"s n' stuff. He's a great singer. 1. "Enter Sandman" is a cool song about nightmares n' stuff. Single #1. (Hetfield/Ulrich/Hammett), 5:29 2. "Sad But True" is something about "I'm your dream, make you real, I'm your eyes when you must steal, I'm your pain when you can't feel". Single #2. (Hetfield/Ulrich), 5:24 3. "Holier Than Thou" I couldn't really get into this song but it's a song about prejudging people or something. (Hetfield/Ulrich), 3:47 4. "The Unforgiven" is a very cool song with acoustic intro. Something about an enslaved kid who grew up without freedom and prepares to die finally. Single #3. (Hetfield/Ulrich/Hammett), 6:26 5. "Wherever I May Roam" is a song about being free to speak his mind anywhere he roams. Single #4. (Hetfield/Ulrich), 6:42 6. "Don't Tread On Me" another song I can't get into, but sort of a warning song about being careful of what you're wishing for or something. (Hetfield/Ulrich), 3:59 7. "Through The Never" I took me a while until I finally liked this song. Something about "Twisting, Turning, Through the Never". (Hetfield/Ulrich/Hammett), 4:01 8. "Nothing Else Matters" is a ballad that you really really need to hear. Many people cover this song, but they can't do it any better than this original one! The video for this song express Metallica's nice, caring side. Single #5. (Hetfield/Ulrich), 6:29 9. "Of Wolf And Man" is about bringing out the Wolf in you. This should have been hit single in my opinion. (Hetfield/Ulrich/Hammett), 4:16 10. "The God That Failed" is a song about Jesus Christ. Very good song. (Hetfield/Ulrich), 5:05 11. "My Friend Of Misery" should also have been hit single. This song is about someone who is obsessed in only his own words and trying to get people to hear him and misery will get him. The bassline is great, so pay attention for it. (Hetfield/Ulrich/Newsted), 6:47 12. "The Struggle Within" had a good intro guitar after the drumline. The lyrics are hard to understand for me, something like "Reaching out for something you got to feel, while clutching to something you thought was real." (Hetfield/Ulrich), 3:51 // 10

Overall Impression: This is not a very bad album. It might as well be a great album. Bit different singing style, but still Hetfield makes it good and the lyrics are great. So, it is worth buying. // 10

Metallica Reviewed by: Whstripesrox, on june 09, 2004

Sound: Metallica slow it down in this one. This was the start of Metallica's change in music (I'm not going to get into that). I don't know if everyone else digs this album but I do. I can't help but not like every single song on this album. I think this is some of Kirk's best solos, not his fastest but his best. Most of the songs on here are pretty hard but Metallica do show some of their sensitive side on the track Nothing Else Matters. If you don't already know it's Metallica's classic power ballad. Don't worry though. Everything else pretty much the same just slower. // 10

Lyrics: I think this album has James Hetfield's best lyrics on it so far. I think his singing skills are superb as well. I tend to like James' voice better during this period than the early albums. His voice is much more deeper. // 10

Overall Impression: Some people say that this is one of Metallica's worst albums. I say just the opposite. I think this is one of their best. The best songs from the album in my opinion are Enter Sandman, Sad But True, Holier Than Thou, The Unforgiven, Wherever I May Roam, Through the Never, Don't Tread On Me, Nothing Else Matters, and Of Wolf and Man. As I said before I love the solos and the rythem fits right in there with the solo. This album is definetly worth buying. Even if you like the older Metallica better you still need to check this album out. It will change your mind about how much you think Metallica stinks because of this album. This is the best record I've ever had and I think it will be yours too. // 10

Metallica Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 14, 2004

Sound: One of the best Metallica CD's. The "Metallica" consits of many solos and has great hard rock/heavy metal sound to the gutars. In the time of the album they were pretty much a head bangin grunge band but turned some of the songs around and made some soft metal like one of my favs "The Unforgiven." What I think is the most innovating about the CD is that they brought two different kinds of music in just one song. Like in "The Unforgiven" or "Nothing Else Matters" they have a little of metal and a little of rock. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics fit with the music for the most part. Sometimes you can get a little thrown off about what they mean but for the most part pretty good. James has a good deep voice for this music and try to stay away from the high notes. // 8

Overall Impression: I think it is one of the best CD's put out by this band right next to their most recent album "Reload." I really don't hate anything about this CD accept for that people cant tab it right. I like pretty much everything about this CD. Over all the CD is awesome but you really have to buy it to find out yourself. Yes that means it is worth going out and buying. If it was stolen I would definately go out and buy it again. // 10

Metallica Reviewed by: grave, on august 23, 2004

Sound: Some people may be dissapointed with this album compared to the other albums released by Metallica, but many of the critics and fans say this is the best album ever. "The Black Album" or the self-titled album brings you a different side of Metallica, putting aside their thrash-metal style, they give you great intros, catchy and strong riffs, and a guitar solo after the second chorus was sung. This album shows you what Metallica is mostly about with the help of producer Bob Rock and the new bassist, Jason Newsted, who previosly made an album that wasn't so successful as this one. On this album, Metallica puts aside what they done with the previous lead guitarist, Dave Mustaine, and previous bassist, Cliff Burton, to make the most successful album they have ever made. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics and the music fit in very well. To some extent, the lyrics are quite simple and it makes each song easy to understand what they are about. Although thats not a bad thing for the lyrics are very well wriiten and even though they are long, you should be able to memorize the lyrics easily so you can sing along with Metallica live like you hear the people do or with the album like a crazy guy if you like. So basically I think the lyrics are good, but I miss the lyrics about about killing, war, and grief which the album did have just not as extreme to put it. // 8

Overall Impression: If you ask me, Metallica got the idea of the album design from AC/DC Back in Black, but that's just me. This album compared to their previous albums, is definitly not as heavy nor fast just a little more melodic or maybe thats just the better production. The only thing I was really dissapointed with the album was that none of the guitar solos were as strong as the previous albums, for example the song One. Besides what I think, this album sold millions, this album sold more then any album Metallica has ever sold, and how can an album not be so successful with five five amazing singles which I don't feel like talking about. So this album is a disappoint to me and some other fans, it would no doubt still be worth adding this album to your collection. // 6

Metallica Reviewed by: Demagogue01, on june 18, 2005

Sound: This album has a great sound and a lot of variety, unlike the older Metallica. There are really hard songs (Sad But True), soft songs(Nothing Else Matters), normal hard rock songs (Enter Sandman), and much more, and they all sound awesome. Every song was very unique, they all had kick ass solos, and they all sounded good. // 10

Lyrics: Metallica is one of the best lyric writting bands ever. Almost every song they have ever written has had a deep and powerful meaning, told a story, or just flat out entertained. The lyrics mached the music near perfectly on all tracks on this album, and they're all good. Best of all, this is the first ablum in which James didn't sing like a pre-pubecant pansy-ass 12 year old b--ch. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall, this is my favortie Metallica album. The music and lyrics are all great and unique, and James used a new more powerfull singing style. The best songs on this album to me are sad but true, the unforgiven, and pretty much everything else in a tie. If it were stolen, id buy it again, and if it were lost id search for it till the day I died. The Black Album has sold nearly 16 million copies in the US alone, and there is a reason for that; its the best Metallica album ever, and one of the all time best. // 10

Metallica Reviewed by: Hendrix On acid, on july 13, 2005

Sound: Overall my favorite Metallica CD. Metallica's usual heavy metal rocking with great riffs and awesome solos. The cover is cool too. These songs always stick in my head, and they will stick in yours too. // 10

Lyrics: If you can make out what he's saying, you're very talented. The lyrics are very good, and although a little on the dark side (Black Album, who knew) they are very good. James Hetfield is indeed one of the best heavy metal singers out there. // 8

Overall Impression: Like I said, this is my favorite Metallica album. I happen to love all the tracks on this album, and I think every Metallica fan will/does too. It's worth buying definitly, and I think you should go pick it up if you don't own it already. // 8

Metallica Reviewed by: Cobain-iac_90, on november 07, 2005

Sound: A very good album in and of itself, "Metallica," better known as "The Black Album," is probably the second, maybe third, best album Metallica has put out ("Master Of Puppets" at #1 and "...And Justice For All" coming in at a close second). I was very pleased with the band's thrashy harmonies and wonderful bass parts. This was not my first Metallica album, although it sounded like it should have been. Although it does have probably the most overrated songs on it, i.e. "Enter Sandman," it impacted a whole generation of young metalheads and shredders. Now, I'd definitely have to give props to Kirk Hammet, his solos are very well thought out, even if they were a little laid-back this time around. James does a wonderful job playing rhythm and singing, in my opinion, and I will not deny that I do enjoy his vocal talents. Although, I could do without the little yelps that he lets out at every chorus or bridge, mind you. And although this album does not feature the Cliff Burton's marvelous bass work, Newstead does a pretty good job of picking up the slack, even if everything after this kinda slowed down a bit. But this album is definitely a must-have for Metallica fans, although I'm probably sure all of us do have it in our collection right now. // 9

Lyrics: I enjoyed the lyrics on this album a little more than some of the other albums. The songs were a bit slower, which opened the door for some ballads and more complex lyrics. "Nothing Else Matters," for example, although the most covered songs by little garage bands, has very intricate lyrics with a somber, slow overtone to it. And "The Unforgiven" is a very interesting ballad, since the verses start off hard and heavy, leading into the chorus, which is a very soft one. I fell in love with these songs first off, and I still believe that they are probably the best on the album, but that's coming from the guy who's songs all sound like suicidal love songs. Another song that stood out to me was "Of Wolf And Man." Although it seems to describe a sort of were-wolf/wolf-man sort of creature, it is a very catchy song that seems to be very different for Metallica. And of course songs like "Sad But True" and "The Struggle Within" were reminiscent of older albums with very generic lyrics. And as I said earlier, James is a very good singer. Not the best mind you, but a good one, nonetheless. // 8

Overall Impression: This album is a very good album if you want to hear thrash metal at a much more deeper level. The lyrics were definitely the stand-out feature of the album, although the riffs were just as catchy. But as I did say before, a very overrated album, but still a classic. I really had mixed feelings about this album, since it was slower and more mellow, and I did have a little animosity towards Newstead when I bought this album, but I loved how creative the songs were and how Hammet and Hetfield manage to pull off these stunning harmonies in every single song. So, if I ever lost this album, I'd consider buying it again, but I might just download six or seven of the songs that really hit me hard. I love the album, I'm just a little confused is all. // 9

Metallica Reviewed by: Rattlehead666, on december 03, 2005

Sound: This was Metallica's first release in the 90's. To me its the start of all the crap in the 90's up to St. Anger. This has to be the Metallica album with the most songs that also has videos. You got Enter Sandman, Sad But True, The Unforgiven, Wherever I May Roam and Nothing Else Matters. The songs are not the best on this album. Some songs are good like Sad But True, Wherever I May Roam, Through The Never, Of Wolf And Man and The Struggle Within. This is also the first album that was produced with Bob Rock. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics ar not so good for this album. Some songs have good lyrics but others... no. James Hetfield's vocals are so different in this album then in Kill 'Em All, Ride The Lightning, Master of Puppets or ...And Justice For All. The weird thing is to me in those four albums his vocals sound a bit different each time but from Black Album (Metallica) to present they sound excactly the same. Still good though. // 8

Overall Impression: Even though it ain't so good as the original four this album ain't that bad. The most impressive songs on the whole album are Wereber I May Roam and Of Wolf And Man. I don't love anything about this and I don't hate anything about this. If this were lost I would be pretty mad seeing it would decrease my metal collection that working so hard on because I'm trying to get 110 Metal albums. // 9

Metallica Reviewed by: METSOAD, on april 17, 2006

Sound: This was supoosed to be the album that sold Metallica out to the masses. Complete dribble, just because it sold millions and bazillions of copies, dosen't mean that it is one of those crappy pop albums that go multi-platinum in 5 minutes. It is a well thought through, technically brilliant and well produced Metal record that was only around at the right time for people to discover it. This album, along with "Master Of Puppets," made many people who are logged into this website pick up a guitar and want to become James Hetfeild and Kirk Hammet. So it deserves the same respect as any other record. // 10

Lyrics: James Hetfeild is the most inspiring song writers of any genration. His mix of passion, anger and down right despair isn't the most cheerful but it is thought provoking, able to relate to real life and just plain excellent. Firstly there is the true aggresion of "Don't Tread on Me", then the mellow refelction of "Nothing Else Matters," the evilness of "Enter Sandman" and the pure simple Genius of tracks like "Sad But True," "The Unforgiven" and "The God That Failed." // 10

Overall Impression: Of course you know the classics "Enter Sandman," "Nothing Else Matters," "The Unforgiven," "Sad But True" and "Wherever I May Roam." But the last three Tracks "The God That Failed," "My Friend Of Misery" and "The Struggle Within" show that Metallica can maintain a standard of writing throughout this record. It may not be "Master Of Puppets" but nothing is and this is basically the next best thing. // 10

Metallica Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 18, 2006

Sound: Sound-wise, it may not get any better than this. Bob Rock's production of the album is outstanding and despite all the crap that Bob has had piled on him in the time he was affiliated with Metallica, he did an amazing job at making this truly sonic record. Whereas in '...And Justice For All' the bass was barely hearable (some would say non-existent), the bass on the album is back and sounding as good as ever. Two excellent examples of this are on 'Holier Than Thou' when the guitars stop and its just drum & bass and also the bass-driven 'My Friend of Misery'. The guitar work on the album is also brilliant. Hetfield's crunching sound came into it's own and Hammett's blindingly good solos return with a vengeance. The riffs on the album are probably among some of the best known in rock, as 'Enter Sandman' and 'Sad But True' show, the boys are still able to create a great riff as the meat of the song and then build up more great things around it. But heavy electric guitars aren't the only presence felt on the album, there are also harmonic Spanish guitars and acoustics used as well as the opener for 'Wherever I May Roam' which features a Sitar. The drums are also a strong point on this, with the trademark Ulrich style being evident in more than one of the tracks. The album is widely revered as being the 'turning-point' for Metallica, it did divide fans and open up new possibilities for the band. But the overall sound and feel of the album cannot be denounced as anything less than great. // 10

Lyrics: On the whole, the lyrics are just another strong point of the album. Hetfield's trademark growl was truly showcased on this album with the album's opening lines: 'Say your prayers little one, don't forget my son, to include everyone'. The lyrics themselves are clever and thought-provoking and each song does have it's own unique feel and story to it. Whether it be a fear of nightmares in 'Enter Sandman', the feeling of people/society seeking to control weaker people's lives in 'The Unforgiven' or broken promises in 'The God That Failed', Hetfield manages to make the listener sit up and take notice of what he's saying. The lyrics all mean something different to everyone and the openness to interpretation is great. The Black Album also features Metallica's first real 'love song', 'Nothing Else Matters'. A true ballad, Hetfield's voice is tamer than on any other track previous to this album and the lyrics are heartfelt and suit the music they are put to. On this album, James definitely came into his own as far as vocals were concerned and it's among my favourite Metallica albums for how he sounds on CD. // 10

Overall Impression: When it comes to career-defining albums, Metallica traditionally has two, Master of Puppets being one and in my opinion, this one being the second. Their new approach of shorter songs which still packed one hell of a punch worked a treat for them and opened them up to a bigger audience. They may have 'sold-out' to some people, but at the end of the day, Metallica have always been a band that has done what they want and not followed any specific trends, doing what they believe in. I believe that it shows up on this album more than most. From start to finish there isn't a bad song on the album. The five released singles: 'Enter Sandman', 'Sad But True', 'The Unforgiven', 'Wherever I May Roam' and 'Nothing Else Matters' continue to be as brilliant today as they were when the album was released in August 1991 and still feature as fixed-songs in most of Metallica's live shows. Other favourites from the album include 'Holier Than Thou', 'Of Wolf And Man', 'The God That Failed' and 'My Friend of Misery'. The remaining three ('Don't Tread On Me', 'Through The Never' and 'The Struggle Within') are good songs however, don't be deterred, but personally I don't listen to them as much as the other tracks on the album. The Black Album is up there with my 'must-own' albums to the point where I'm on my second because I broke my first one due to over-use. I strongly recommend this album to anyone who likes rock and anyone who doesn't. Give it a listen and it could change whether you accept them or not. A brilliant album full of power, energy, emotion and feeling. // 10

Metallica Reviewed by: boyan89, on july 14, 2006

Sound: The sound on this album was incredible. The guitars on this album are absolutely astounding with Kirks lead riffs and James rhythm fills in thats a guitar duo right there for you. The drums on this album are insance man Lars is one of the best drummers in the history of music. The bass is superb on this album especially in songs like The Unforgiven and Through The Never. So the sound on this album was actually really amazing and I really love it. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics on this album are really superb man James Hetfield is and always will be one of the best songwriters in heavy metal. I really enjoy the background lyrics I mean on the song Don't Tread On Me, I love it when when the whole band goes like "Don't Tread Me" in a really deep voice I find that that is sweet. I really like the lyrics "The Unforgiven." // 10

Overall Impression: This album is an astonishing album from beggining to end and it just cannot compare to any other artists. I don't have any favourite songs on this album because they all rule to me. I love everything about this album and I dont hate anything about it. If it were stolen/lost I would buy it again because it is defenitely a good buy for any fan of Metallica or any fan of heavy metal. // 10

Metallica Reviewed by: unregistered, on september 11, 2006

Sound: I think the sound of the black album is superb, it is really heavily produced and it just sounds so damn heavy. With Bob Rock flling in as producer for the first time for metallica, things were obviously different, the sound isn't the same as the black album's predeccers and some may find that to be bad, for me it sounds extremely good. compared to metallica's earlier albums this is a lot less technical. And quite a lot less fast. The album is more mid-tempo and heavy. If want to go for a great album buy this! // 10

Lyrics: I think the lyrics on the black album are very good. Hetfield talks about less political problems and talks about himself and his life. People would consider this album a very personal album for james. Especcially in "the god that failed". He talks about his life back when he was a kid when he had to live without going to doctors or doing any physical activities because of his family raising him to be a christian scientist. And "Holier Than Though". Where he talks about religious do-gooders always relying on god for their own needs. Hetfields voice on this album is brilliant, in my opionion the best voice he had in his carreer. // 10

Overall Impression: My overall impression is that this album does not compare to any other artists because it's so different and it's a very special album. This is Metallica's definitive album and if it were stolen/lost I would definetly buy it again, for the love God! // 10

Metallica Reviewed by: GiR 2.0, on april 02, 2007

Sound: Metallica's "Metallica", my first metal album. This when I first started listening to them. The general sound is made for new fans who want to get into Metallica: the hardcore riffs have been brought down a bit and ballads are now a common form in the album. These two things are good for introductory fans, but this is a big depart from the original Metallica albums, and many die hard fans will not enjoy this. // 8

Lyrics: My impression of the lyrics are that they were pretty basic. You do have some good lyrics in some songs, but most of them are basic for fans to jump in. They're not as hardcore or as political as others. Most of the lyrics and music go great together. And for the singer's skills, you can hear Hetfield's new singing voice as you hear the soothing sound of him singing the Unforgiven. // 9

Overall Impression: This is Metallica slight depart from the basic Metallica heavy metal mold. It turns away most of the older fans because of that. But, it has sold over a billion albums over and is still selling. Despite a fan's feeling about this, I think that this brings more fans into metallica than anything. I love the riffs and soloing (Enter Sandman especially). I hate the excessive ballads. If it were stolen, I would buy it again, or just keep the one on my iPod. // 9

Metallica Reviewed by: mogaz, on january 07, 2008

Sound: My impression of Metallica is that they rock and give 100% in everything that they do. The solos are ammense, the singing is at a high rocking level. The riffs that the band play are fast and slow, catchy and you always know that a fat solo is just around the corner. I believe that there's a story attached to this album as the songs make you picture death and gods. The styles are mainly rock metal. This is just a quality album to rock on to and would recommend this album to anyone who loves the old stuff by Metallica. // 10

Lyrics: My overall impression of the lyrics is that it's certainly rocking and it really gets you in the mood to rock on. The lyrics deffinately mix with the riffs and beat and it has the same sort of mood to it. The singers skills are at the highest level I think as the riffs are fast and he is still skilled enough to keep the tempo going. // 10

Overall Impression: This album I think compares to Black Label Society who are also at a high level of production. The most impressive songs from the album are: all 12 I think, riffs are excellent, solos are top notch, and the singing is also at it's best. I would deffinately reccomend this album. If I lost this album I would buy this and some others to be honest I love their new and old stuff. // 10

Metallica Reviewed by: Drome371, on june 17, 2008

Sound: This album creates a somewhat familiar vibe for Metallica, yet delivers a whole new realm of sound for the band. It introduces new concepts and more melodic songs, along with several ballads, yet includes songs that still retain the thrash mood that defines Metallica. Some of my favorite songs from them are on this CD. // 9

Lyrics: In this CD, the lyrics have a wide range of meanings, from patriotism and problems of society, to urban legends and being on the road. The lyrics of every song on this album are unique in their own way, and each fit the song perfectly. James Hetfield's voice mostly sounds the same from the previous CD, using growling tones, and also uses melodic singing at times. // 8

Overall Impression: In my opinion, this is one of the best albums of theirs. I wouldn't necessarily compare it to the albums of other artists, but realize that it is its own unique creation. My favorite songs on the album are Don't Tread On Me, giving you the feeling of patriotism and excitement, The Unforgiven, telling a tale about the life a young man taken into a tribe, and Nothing Else Matters, a soft and lovely ballad that turns into a heavy and emotional solo at the end. I love the diversity of this album, and the many unique styles used, and I don't think I could really say anything that I hated about it. If it were lost/stolen, I would definitely buy it again. // 9

Metallica Reviewed by: Delta3Xray, on january 09, 2009

Sound: The sound is excellent. Although some would say that Metallica sort of strayed-away from their original sound, I would have to disagree. This album is plenty heavy. It has a diverse mix, with a couple ballads, some "in-your-face" heavy songs, and some fast, "out of control" ones. My favorites would have to be 1) The Unforgiven: The solo is just amazing, very classic and emotional. 2) Sad But True: Nice and heavy, a little slow, but pretty awesome. 3) Don't Tread on Me: Also a heavy one, it's really awesome and makes you wanna headbang. // 9

Lyrics: In this album, the lyrics are about a mixture of things. For example, Nothing Else Matters is about an undying love for someone, while Don't Tread on Me is an aggressive, patriotic song. James, for the pretty much first time, uses a softer, cleaner voice at some times, while still retaining his trademark rough voice for the majority of the album. You can tell his voice is a little bit deeper than previous albums, which probably came with age. The lyrics are great, and you often find yourself singing along. // 8

Overall Impression: Overall, this is a great, diverse album. There are soft spots, but the majority of it is nice and heavy. It compares somewhat with the previous albums, but at the same time introduces a slightly different approach to metal. The thing about this album that I love the most is for one the diversity; it has a song for almost every situation you can think of. But most of all, I love the undying intensity and heaviness of the album. If it were lost or stolen, I'd definitely buy it again. // 10

Metallica Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 12, 2009

Sound: It's... different. It's not "old Metallica." It's not bad, but it's not the same. I liked it, for the most part, even if it was lighter and different. It's just... not the same as we would all expect, but it's interesting to listen to now and again. More melodic, easier to pick up (and a hell of a lot easier to play! ), and overall just strangely cool. It's the "accessible but listenable Metallica." It's still pretty good, if not nearly as good as their better days, but it absolutely does not sucks. // 8

Lyrics: Meh... Metallica's had much better before. Not a big fan of most of the songwriting, but the way Hetfield delivers the vocals helps out here. I like his voice for their songs. I strongly prefer the songwriting from Ride the Lightning, but this isn't BAD by any means. Some songs are written well, others come off as mediocre and almost uninspired. A weak point for the album, but overall it was pretty good. // 7

Overall Impression: This album absolutely does not compare to "old Metallica." Don't expect it to. Ever. It's still part of "good Metallica," but it's not that old, nostalgic, thrashy, heavy, aggressive Metallica we all know and love. It's still good music, it's just not the same. All of you extreme naysayers are more than likely uber-metalheads who have this impression that if a song isn't super heavy or lightning fast then it sucks, and if you're not in that category, then either you expected old Metallica and got disappointed, or you're just not taking this album for what it really is - an accessible new direction without ruining the music. I'll admit, some tracks on this album were... horrible (I'm sorry, but I hate The Unforigven. I like Unforgiven III and II was okay... but I HATE the original. It's just so, boring.) You can listen to pretty much any song on the album at random and they're all fairly catchy (even the cursed Enter Sandman, which everyone knows), and they're certainly all listenable. It's an interesting new direction for Metallica, but unfortunately, the albums that followed (until Death Magnetic) just failed. My favorite songs are Wherever I May Roam, Sad But True, Of Wolf and Man, My Friend of Misery, The God that Failed, Nothing Else Matters, and Through the Never (yes, I did like most of this album). The long and short of this all is, if you want a new direction for Metallica that keeps part of the old formula and warps it (in an interesting way), go for this album. If you're an "old Metallica" elitist, don't even bother. // 8

Metallica Reviewed by: Thomasg2488, on april 21, 2009

Sound: In Metallica's 5th studio album, self-titled or otherwise known as the "Black Album", the kings of thrash metal have slowed down the speed of their songs. However this is not necessarily a bad thing. While I prefer the Master Of Puppets and Ride The Lightnin style of metal, Metallica has been able to keep their metal roots in this album and put a speed that is around that of Judas Priest, which is a great thing. Every song, including the ballads "The Unforgiven" and "Nothing Else Matters", has that metal feeling from the opening and best track "Enter Sandman" to the fast pace rhythm of "Through the Never" and the very heavy "Sad But True", the Black album keeps it hard and heavy but instead of the superspeed picking from songs such as "Whiplash" and "Fight Fire With Fire", it replaces it with heavy riffs that will meet your headbanging needs. As far as the solos we are accustomed to when we think of Kirk Hammett, he isn't finger picking his hands apart such as he did on "One" or alternate picking at breakneck speed as on "Trapped Under Ice" but rather having great solos that remind us of Slash's work with Guns N' Roses. It may not be as fast as on the previous four albums, but it will make you very happy. James Hetfield's rhythm guitar work continues to be a thing of beauty, but where we some diversity and where we see him showcase more of his talent is surprisingly on the songs "Nothing Else Matters" and "The Unforgiven". While they may be acoustic parts and not what we are used to seeing Hetfield play, they are heavy and they show that just because it isn't electric, doesn't mean it can't be heavy. Jason Newsted's bass playing is more apparent and more audible in this album, which is a welcome change since... And Justice For All where we were unable hear him nine times out of ten. Jason keeps the rhythm going and actually plays along with Kirk and James, which adds as a very dynamic sound. Finally, we can't forget about Lars, don't worry fans or new fans who have heard the first four albums but have yet to hear the fifth album. Lars keeps his heavy beats, bass petal, cymbals and all in every song, including the ballad songs which have been mentioned before already. Even though they are not as fast pace as Master Of Puppets, they have that same feeling of beating on your desk, steering wheel, wherever you are while listening and you will beat with them that is a promise. Great sound and great songs throughout. // 10

Lyrics: It is well known that James Hetfield is a very, very, talented vocalist and lyricist and he showcases it again. Each song has a list of possible meanings that fans can think about and make it worthwhile listening to again and again to determine. "Enter Sandman" seems to be the easiest of these where it is about nightmares for the most part, but can also be about dying in your sleep or whatever your imagination takes you. Every song though seems to have a meaning that everyone can figure out at least on the first go such as "The Unforgiven" being about an elderly man who has done horrible things to society and his family that make him, well, unforgiven. "Nothing Else Matters" is on a more personal note as it is about James's ex-girlfriend while "Sad But True" talks about you being a slave to someone else's needs. But like I said, it really is all about you, the listener trying to figure out what every song means. It just depends on imagination... Or if you just want to listen and headbang. // 9

Overall Impression: Now let me make this clear, I love Master Of Puppets, Ride The Lightning, you get the idea. But that doesn't mean that I'm not open to other possibilities, and that is what Metallica did. To the Metallica fans who are closed minded people who don't want to listen to anything else other than the first four albums, well, it's your loss. This album isn't Master Of Puppets (I know, I'm using that example a lot, but it gets the point across) but it is right up there with it in my opinion, I actually prefer this over... And Justice For All because it is seems to be more polished and it seems that the band is in perfect sync on every song. Now Metallica could've done the same thing forever, but they decided to try a different approach and it was a great move. This album is heavy as the first four, it's just a different speed and doesn't get the respect it deserves. To those that say Metallica sold out with this album, get your head on straight and listen to it again, they didn't sell out, it's as metal as anything else they made. It's a great album, it's metal, it's headbanger worthy if you listen and it has a great sound to it. // 10

Metallica Reviewed by: zope, on may 19, 2009

Sound: This record has an amazing sound. Every instrument is well defined, you can hear everything at an adecuate sound. Soundwise they improved a lot since past albums, and musically they changed, forming a record which, to me, isn't as good as Master of Puppets or ... And Justice for all. Although they slowed down, these songs are heavy metal and great for headbanging. James Hetfield does an amazing rythm playing, very nice riffs, not as complex as previous albums but more catchy. His voice is amazing in this record. He actually learned to sing and although he won't bark that much anymore he'll give the right power to the lyrics. He also plays one of my favorite solos, although simple, in Nothing Else Matters. There a few nice harmonies too. Lars won't be playing as complex as on ... And Justice for All but he does pound greatly into his drumms. Definetly the album where he achieved his greatest sound. But he played very simply almost throughout the entire record. Kirk does a good job too. He does a great job on the wah, he may help himself a bit too much with it but he surely knows how to handle it, and he likes doing it so. His solos on this record are pretty much structured in the same way. The best solos he plays are probably Unforgiven, Wherever I May Roam and Struggle Within. Jason improved a lot. He does a great job on My Friend On Misery and for the rest of the record he pounds greatly and he is heard at a good sound in this record, contrary to... And Justice For All. Although I hate pick playing in a bass player, and I prefer melodic finger players, I have to admit that jason pounds my ass off on this record. Enter Sandman: I miss acoustic or playback intros on previous 3 records enter sandman starts great. I Love the way the song grows riff by riff into the main riff. When the main riff attacks you have to start headbanging, you don't even notice that it is actually slower. The drumms in the intro help the mood of growing. Then James starts singing about nightmares with a great voice. During the bridge between verses, Kirk gives in with a great lead, and does a couple more in the second verse. Then he kicks your ass with the solo. Simple with an amazing wah work. Then a slow part with a prayer, adequate for the mood of the song. A silent to draw in the main riff again. A last chorus and an amazing outro which plays the intro riffs in backward sequence until it fades out. Sad But True: A Hard intro prepares you to a heavy heavy song. The riff is a heabanging special. Slow and repetitive but very heavy. Lars perdforms a couple of nice simple fills. Lyrics are great in this song being about all obscure parts within ones self. The guitar parts in the chorus are very well suited for the song. After the second verse there's a great interlude, great riffs kick into the 1st solo. A middle section with multiple repeating voices singing the chorus heard, and a second solo, shorter but also amazing. Then a last verse and chorus, main riff and the song ends with lars pounding his snare. Holier Than Thou: Althoug Speed is back in this song it won't raise any emotions, at least to me. The Riffs are fast, the bass pounds greatly, the lyrics are great about gossip talking but I get bored with the song. The solo is well suited but also nothing special. The Unforgiven: The Number 4 track on the records is a ballad for previous 3 records, and this is no exception. Great ballad, with very great acoustics, very complex arpeggios, and an inverse structure as off previous ballads. This time The verse is heavy and the Chorus is calm. The middle section of the song includes a great solo, one of kirks best, a great clean part and a kick ass very classic hard part. The back up riff is very good too. As oposed to past ballads, which grow in the end into a complete pandemonium, this song repeats the chorus and ends with very nice strumming and a repeated lead. Wherever I May Roam: And a surprise. Metallica brings in other kinds of instruments. The intro soundsvery nice with gongs, some cool noices and a sitar. When suddenly Lars Pounds his snare and the rest of the band plays the main riff slowly, before speeding it up. As Enter Sandman this song sounds faster that it really is. The Riffs are very amazing, previous to the verse some arpeggios are played and some whispers are heard, before having an almost clean verse with other great arpeggios. Another verse chorus sequence and a great harmonized middle section. The chorus is repeated and Kirk comes in with a great use of wah, tapping, hamer ons, pull offs and bends, the sound of the solo is also very good, there is a last verse and the outro. As many other outros on the record, james just repeats the main part and kirk starts playing another solo. The song fades out. Don't Tread On Me: This song is great, if you go to a show you won't hear it for sure, James doesn't like it, I don't know why. The riffs ressemble those of lepper messiah and the structure it self but not as great. Jason handles very nice pounding in this song. There are amazing leads and the riffs have very nice scaled patterns. The solo is great, very heavy use of wah. Through The Never: Another fast song, very repetitive. I Actually don't pay much attntion to this song. That doen't mean it's not good. James barks again in this song, his riffs are not that great. Drumms are simple. The solo is nice, a couple of ppalm muted scales and some artificial harmonics. The middle section is the best part, where every one sings "on through the never". Nothing Else Matters: James love song. Very nice song about love in a relationship. The song starts of with great arpeggios growing into the verse. The verse consists of three main strophes, in which the first has just simple guitar arpegios, the second has a great harmonie on top of the arrpegios and the third has some acoustic strums on top. James sings very nicely, having his top performance in the chosus. In The second verse just the firs strophe is played and then the chorus. I don't know why the lyrics are only repeated in the song instead of having more lyrics but the song is great as it is. There is a very great middle section. Up to this point there has been a lot of orchestration by Michael Kaeman, the S&M guy, doing a great job. The third verse repeats the second and third strophes with a more sentimental voice to it, a larger chorus and a nice shout before dropping into the Solo. This solo is played by james amazingly shreding his guitar, and kirk performing an amazing back up riff. The song ends with a last verse (1st strophe) over some great harmonies to end with the first part of the intro being played over and over. Of Wolf And Man: This song starts by everyone smashing his instrument. The song is simple and repetitive with nice riffs, great howling, but also bores me a little bit. The solo is very simple, and well suited. Lars does some nice fills in this song. The God That Failed: Very great intro by Jason and Lars, and great riff by James. This song has great scales in the riffs, very metal calssic. The Lyrics and the singing are definitely mad at god. The chorus is great, with instrumental pauses and great voice by james, very powerfull. This solo is also very complex, this doesn't mean it's hard to play, but Kirk handles great the sound. The chorus is repeated, and the song ends to the shout of Betrayal, and a great Chord Played clean at the end. My Friend Of Misery: This is probably Jason's trademark. Another kind of ballad, it's heavy and the riffs are very good although the best par is the Middle Section. James voice is very good in the song, changing moods constantly. The middle section consists of clean arpeggios and melodies. The solo is a dissorted section with a great mood on the song. The Struggle Within: Thrash is back. As it is common on Metallica records up to 1991, the last song on the record was complete pandemonium. Struggle is just a fast song with great riffs, and a great militar intro with snares and harmonies. This solo is one of the best on the record having a very well defined structure. And just like that, the record ends // 9

Lyrics: Lyrics have no main concept in this record. There are love songs, hate songs, and many themes are displayed. Nightmares, troubles within, gossiping, self psicological punishment, being a nomad, love, and anger against god. James sings greatly, this time he actually uses his voice as an instrument. He is able of changing moods suddenly making his singing less monotone this time. // 10

Overall Impression: This is an amazing record although it's not as good as Master Of Puppets or... And Justice For All, evethough the sound is much better. The best songs are Wherever I May Roam, Nothing Else Matters, The God That Failed, and Struggle Within. Some songs on this record are too monotonous and boring, Holier Than Thou and Through The Never. I can't help but blaming this record for changing Metallica's style, although I understand that an artist cannot spend his entire career doing the same thing over and over. They might not become better but they have to grow. You're gonna blame me for not giving this record a 10 but I can't give a ten if there are boring songs. // 9

Metallica Reviewed by: unregistered, on february 20, 2012

Sound: In 1991, two biggest hard rock/metal acts in the world were Metallica and Guns N' Roses. Both bands released their long anticipated new albums but it was Metallica's "Black Album" that launched the biggest shock wave through the music world. Unlike the four previous albums "Kill 'Em All" (1983), "Ride The Lightning" (1984), "Master Of Puppets" (1986), and "...And Justice For All" (1988) this album was a lot slower and more like heavy metal rather than thrash metal which is what fan knew them for. A lot of people hate this album and a lot of people like it. Yes, the album is a lot slower but contains some killer songs and is still very heavy. On songs like "Enter Sandman", "Sad But True", "Holier Than Thou", "Wherever I My Roam", "Don't Tread On Me", "Through The Never", "Of Wolf And Man", and "The God That Failed" the band is really seem as the album goes on the heavier they got (minus "Nothing Else Matters" which is toward the album). The song that really stood out to me is "The Unforgiven". Starting out with James Hetfield playing an acoustic intro with lead guitarist Kirk Hammett coming in with an eerie clean guitar intro. After Hammett finishes you hear the acoustic for a few more seconds then it stops as the part comes in very heavy. The bridge leading up to the solo is very creepy as Hammett rips into an amazing guitar solo. // 10

Lyrics: Listening to this album you can tell James Hetfield pushed his singing to a new level. He sings with a lot of power and strength. One thing I've noticed with some bands when making an album like this the lyrics work but don't blend in with the music. This is definitely not one of those albums. On the first five songs of the album: "Enter Sandman", "Sad But True", "Holier Than Thou", "The Unforgiven", and "Wherever I My Roam" this is perfect example of the lyrics, vocals, and music coming together perfectly. Hearing that on the first five songs helps lock you in and keeps you listening. This continues the rest of the album. // 10

Overall Impression: My opinion this is one of their best albums. A lot people say "It Sucks!", "They sold out", etc. I know all of you have probably heard someone say that at least once. The one thing people forget though is in 1991 the music industry was changing quickly and for them to make an album like this was probably their smartest move in a time where grunge ruled. I hate nothing about this album it's a classic and one of favorites behind "Ride The Lightning" and "Master Of Puppets". Yes, you may hate it. DON'T HATE IT THOUGH BECAUSE EVERYONE ELSE DOES. I put that in caps so it stands out. Don't let other people's thoughts on music influence you. Go and listen to it for what it is. Listen to the music, listen to the lyrics, and the outcome my surprise you. // 10

More Metallica reviews rating latest review
+ King Nothing [Single] 9.5 05/26/2014