No Life 'Til Leather Review

artist: metallica date: 10/09/2006 category: compact discs
metallica: No Life 'Til Leather
Release Date: 1982
Genres: Heavy Metal
All the tracks are early recordings of songs that would later appear on the band's Kill 'Em All album.
 7.8
 7.5
review (1) 44 comments vote for this album:
No Life 'Til Leather Reviewed by: metallicaPOOS, on october 09, 2006

Sound: First of all this is a demo, I'm sure every metallica fan knows. It was recorded in 1982 with James Hetfield on rhythm guitar and vocals, Dave Mustaine on lead guitar, Ron McGovney on bass and Lars Ulrich on the skins. It was recorded in Ron mcgovney's garage straight onto a cassette, all parts at once. it's not great sound, yet it's good considering how many times it's been passed on to people and recoreded over and over again. This album is under the thrash genre, early bay area thrash. It was huge in san fransico, passed round and round, and amazingly (lucky for me) it ended up in isreal, where I bought it. // 6

Lyrics: The lyrics are pretty much about metallica's attitude towards how they wanted to take over the metal scene. 'Seek and destroy' and 'Whiplash' are about that, 'metal militia' is mostly about their massive fan base around the bay. 'The Mechanix' was written by dave mustaine and has sexual lyrics, kind of in the wrong place, being in a metallica song. 'Phantom Lord', in was just about what mostly all metal was back then: evil beings coming to take your lives. The lyrics are actually not that heartfelt, emotional or well thought out, but they fit the metal scene as it was at that point. Hetfield's vocals are not as talented as they are now, yet singers back then for heavy metal didn't need as much talent, just screams. It's rather high pitched, his voice, being not as matured as it is today. But, nonetheless, it fits the genre at that point in time. // 8

Overall Impression: My impression of this demo was: Kill 'Em All with a few less songs and rough around some edges. Compared to Kill 'Em All, it is the same musically but with worse sound quality as I mentioned above. The best songs on this album, in my opinion, are 'Seek And Destroy', 'Jump In The Fire' and 'The Mechanix' because of the power, speed and catchy riffs of the songs. I love this demo album. It features 7 songs, all which ended up appearing on Kill 'Em All. It is a great early thrash metal record and I am glad I have it, considering the rareness of this tape. it only comes on cassette, unless you want to get the cheap, remake. I would buy as many copies as possible of this item because of the rarity. I would recomend No Life 'Til Leather to any diehard Metallica fan. // 10

More Metallica reviews rating latest review
+ King Nothing [Single] 9.4 05/26/2014