Ride The Lightning Review

metallica: Ride The Lightning
Released: 1984
Genre: Rock
Styles: Thrash, Heavy Metal, Speed Metal
That album affected on all forthcoming heavy metal music.
 Lyrics: 9.3
 9.6
 9.5
 9.6
Ride The Lightning Reviewed by: PsychoWolfD, on may 29, 2004

Sound: Metallica's sophomore album. This is a little heavier than Kill Em All, their first album. On track 1, "Fight Fire With Fire", there was a cool trick intro in the beginning that sounded like some sort of mediaval instrument, then it bursts into thrash. The title track "Ride The Lightning" was great, especially the solo. For the first time in their history, they had a song with acoustic and softer elements, "Fade To Black". The single is "Creeping Death", but I thought "Fade To Black" should have been the single. Solos were very clear in this album. Hetfield sounded more detailed than in Kill, too. The bassist Cliff Burton also co-wrote most of the songs, and half the album (8 tracks) is written by every bandmember (some of songs Mustaine [Megadeth] wrote as lead guitarist, though), so they express the full heart of Metallica, and are great, memorable songs. // 10

Lyrics: Hetfield made more original lyrics. Every set of lyrics can actually fit in the rhythms. 1. "Fight Fire With Fire" had that trick intro. The song is about the apocalypse being near. 2. "Ride The Lightning" the title track, a really heavy song. That electrically burning solo fits the title. 3. "For Whom The Bell Tolls" has a bell as a sound effect and sometimes a rhythm. Cool song. 4. "Fade To Black" features an acoustic and a cool intro solo. 2/3 of the verses are during the acoustic sequence. After each of the 2 verses, there is a really heavy riff. A new rhythm picks up just in time for the 3rd verse, and it is the coolest thing ever. 5. "Trapped Under Ice" is a 4-minute thrash track. Obviously, the topic is about being trapped under ice. 6. "Escape" a track about deciding for yourself, not your dictators. You just got to hear the intro riff! They should have used it throughout the song as rhythm! 7. "Creeping Death" talks about the plague Moses unleashed to kill the firstborn pharaoh son, so he can free the Hebrew slaves. If you don't understand, study it from the Bible or something. 8. "The Call Of Ktulu" is an 8:52 instrumental, and the guitars do all the talking, but it is worth it. // 10

Overall Impression: Good Cd. Great CD. Friggin' Awesome CD! Pay attention to the tracks: all of them! You got to try and preserve this album as best as you can. It is worth it. There is nothing I hate about this album and you shouldn't. This is Real Metallica! Go get this CD now. // 10

Ride The Lightning Reviewed by: unregistered, on march 24, 2005

Sound: Metallica's sophomore effort is a huge step up from Kill'Em All. The songs on Ride The Lightning have more melodies and complex riffs which contribute to making each song great. Hammett and Hetfield race away with their lightning fast riffs and solos. However, this album, unlike its predeccesor, is not solely speed metal. There are several songs which have slower, more melodic sections and IMHO are among the highlights of the whole album (e. g. the intro to Fight Fire With Fire, the first half of Fade To Black & the intro/outro of The Call of Ktulu). Production is also improved from Kill'Em All. I especially like the different sounds Metallica uses in the songs to add to its potency (e. g. the thunder that acts as a bridge between Fight Fire With Fire and Ride The Lightning, the bells in For Whom The Bell Tolls & the sirens in the outro of Escape). This album is the first Metallica epic and announced their arrival as heavy metal gods. // 10

Lyrics: I, being a guitarist, personally dont take so much interest in lyrics but more in the music and melodies. But this album is full of extremely powerful lyrics. War, Death, and suffering are prominent topics in Ride The Lightning: 01. Fight Fire With Fire - nuclear war and armageddon. 02. Ride The Lightning - death through the electric chair. 03. For Whom The Bell Tolls - an ode to fallen soldiers. 04. Fade To Black - suicide. 05. Trapped Under Ice - drowning. 06. Escape - escaping life through death. 07. Creeping Death - ten plagues of egypt (from exodus). 08. The Call Of Ktulu - no lyrics but I believe the title came from HP Lovecraft's book - Call of Ktulu. // 10

Overall Impression: This album is abso-f--kin-lutely phenomenal. This and Master Of Puppets were the ultimate peak for Metallica. Now for my final impressions: 01. Fight Fire With Fire - amazing song. From the classical start that fades out to the thunderous riff, this song propels you at 100 miles an hour. Great solo as well. 02. Ride The Lightning - another cracker. A little slower than Track 1 but still full of energy. There's a great segment in the middle where Hammett and Ulrich try to outdo each other during the solo. 03. For Whom The Bell Tolls - one of my favourites from this album. Much, much slower in tempo than the first two tracks but still really good. Musically, its a very simple song with a few power chords and little solo snippets by Hammett (They're too small to be called actuall solos). I find that this song has an extremely catchy beat thanks to some great performances from drums and bass (Ulrich & Burton). 04. Fade To Black - masterpiece of the album. Starts of really slow and soft, and then continues with an acoustic verse (which has great playing by Hetfield) and an extremely heavy word-less chorus. The second half, where it gets faster, is my favourite part of the album. I absolutely love the final solo. It may not show off Hammett's skills as much as the One solo or Master of Puppets solo but IMHO it meshes the best with the rest of the song. 05. Trapped Under Ice & Escape - they're not bad tracks but unfortunately seem like filler here when compared to the other great tracks. 06. Creeping Death - picks up the tempo again and is a concert favourite because of easy-to-sing-along lyrics. Super fast riffs and mind blowing solo. 07. Call Of Ktulu - as a fellow musician, I can really appreciate the beauty of instrumentals. This one is Metallica's first instrumental featuring all the members (Anasthesia from Kill 'Em All only had Burton & Ulrich). The eerie intro progresses into a heavy riff. The solo's not so great on this one but the riffs are amazing. I especially love the intro/outro tune. Great finish to an excellent album. // 10

Ride The Lightning Reviewed by: darkdays420, on february 11, 2006

Sound: This album had lightning fast solos and thundering riffs that go along with the title "Ride The Lightning" This was one of Metallica's greats. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrical imagery of Ride the Lightning covered topics of war, insanity, depression and death ("Fade To Black", "Trapped Under Ice") and even biblical historical narritive ("Creeping Death"). The vocals are much better than "Kill 'Em All", Metallica's first album, and is a natural step forward from "Kill 'Em All." // 10

Overall Impression: 01. Fight Fire With Fire - the song starts out with a muted lute sound tricking the listener but also creating a feeling of peace when it whips you into a quick thrash riff that crushes the feeling of peace and the solo gives you a feeling of distress. A good way to start an album. 02. Ride The Lightning - the album title song, this song starts out with an awsome bass line that makes me thing of lightning and the drum as thunder, the lyrics are very well done, they are about a man who is on death row and about to be put to the electric chair. The solo is lightning fast and goes well with the song title. One of the greats. 03. For Whom The Bell Tolls - the lyrics are about war and they are good ("For whom the bell tolls, time marches on"). It opens with a great bass line and then Kirk play a fast muted lead and then goes into a heavy riff. Then an awesome guitar line played by James and it gets better when Kirk joins in but the only thing that bothered me is where is the solo? 04. Fade To Black - it opens with an acoustic line and then an intro solo played by Kirk. Then acoustic and electric guitars were composed well. The solo is fast and rhythmical and it fades out. The song is about depression and the lyrics are great. 05. Trapped Under Ice - a thrasher song that was very well done. It has three fast solos that are awesome, I always headbang to this song. The lyrics are about being trapped under ice and death. Brilliant. 06. Escape - this song was kind of a let down. It begins with a good metal riff and then goes into a less better riff. It's about living life and great lyrics. It could have been better if that intro riff was played throughout the song. The solo was good but still it could have been better. 07. Creeping Death - a great song about a plague that kills the first born man. A thrash song that goes into a memorable riff when back up vocals sing "Die Die Die" over and over again. One of Hetfield's greatest vocals. The solo is quick with sixteenth notes and the occasional slide and then it goes into sweep picking and then picks up more speed. It ends with pull offs and bends into a slide down the neck. A great f--king song! 08. The Call Of Ktulu - a song based on HP Lovecraft's "The Call Of Chultu." The instrumental and very eerie sounded but very good. It starts out with fingerpicking then leads into an arpeggio. Kirk uses a volume pedal to add to the eerieness. Then it becomes harder as the arpeggios are distored and palm muted. And then into power chords that are good. The solo also has that eerie sound and is great. A good way to end the album. // 9

Ride The Lightning Reviewed by: Maitinin, on december 27, 2005

Sound: First I'd like to say that I'll be rather objective, which includes acute, about this album, though I'm very dedicated Metallica fan. We really need objective reviews here. The sound of the album in general is very lousy, especially the sounds of the distorted guitars. I think it ruins James Hetfield's impressively aggressive guitar riffs, and takes away a bit of the spice of Dave Mustain's and Kirk Hammet's guitar solos, which really deserved to blast away the entire musical landscape! The bass needs some space as well, it's very hard to hear though it's a vital part of trash metal, no music lives without the fundamental bottom, not even trash metal. In turn the acoustic guitars featured on Fade To Black and Fight Fire With Fire have a great atmosphere and are liberating in contrast to the heavy guitar riffs. They pull the sound from 3 to 5! The album was recorded in a small, little Swedish studio as the band hadn't earned real money yet. Some might say that the term "trash metal" is based on the raw and not necessarily optimal sound (it has been used for many years as an excuse for having too low funds to finish things), but my opinion that this is in general just bad sound. // 5

Lyrics: The lyrics are, as always, very destructive, depressive and extremely aggressive: "Soon to fill our lungs, the hot winds of death, the gods are laughing, so take your last breath, fight fire with fire, ending is near!" James Hetfield sings every song very committed and despite his absence in his vocal lessons, he makes it as a lead singer beacause of his charisma, his live performances, always regognizable voice and his commitment to the song. The lyrical climax is in beautiful Fade To Black with verses as: "Things not what they used to be, Missing one inside of me, deathly lost, this can't be real, cannot stand this hell I feel" and: "Emptiness is filling me, to the point of agony, growing darkness taking dawn, I was me but now he's gone." This is true poetry! (and it pulls up from 4 to 7). // 7

Overall Impression: Ride The Lightning is structually a very well-laid out album with 3-4 out of 8 good songs, which is elegantly finished by the immortal instrumental track The Call Of Ktulu, which is a magnificent specimen of Metallica's thoroughness. Ride The Lightning can't be compared to Master Of Puppets or The Black Album at any point. Yet it was Metallica's final step before jumping into their real breakthough and their musical landmark Master of Puppets, so it's a record you, as a fan of Metallica, have to own. In overall terms, it's a record with it's stories and sentimental values and on account of Master Of Puppets and The Black Album is a must-have. Yet again, you can't do a "perfect" record with only 3-4 good songs! // 6

Ride The Lightning Reviewed by: RHYS910009, on october 17, 2003

Sound: This is one of my all time favorite Metallica CD's. It is one of, if not their most complex album with some of the best rhythm guitar work I've ever heard. Not to mention all the solos n stuff. Also in terms of inovation it really is spectacular. How they come up with such cool stuff i don't know. // 10

Lyrics: Deeply profund lyrics with strong political views withch never seem to start rambeling despite that. James lyrics and singing style perfectly complement the music on this album. I rekon that James Hetfield is one of the best heavy metal singers out there. His voice can convey so much from terror and frustration in One to much mellower stuff. // 10

Overall Impression: I really love this album for another reason and that is that it is a bit of a challenge to learn all of it. Also it seems to have matured from some of metallicas previous work in that it no longer is about monsters and stuff but instead about what they actually think. The best songs are One, Blakened and Harveter of sorrow. Their is howver, one light problem with this album. Some of the middle songs can start to run together and you can get confused about wich is witch if your not activly sitting and listening to it. It is a minor problem though. If this album was stolen i would definatly buy it again. And if your into heavy music this would be really good for you. // 10

Ride The Lightning Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 26, 2005

Sound: This album is great! This was my first Metallica CD purchase and it is worth it. It's got songs like Ride The Lightning, Fade To Black, For Whom The Bell Tolls and many more. It also features the instrumental Call Of Ktulu, which shows how great of artists they are. I love metal music especially from the '80s so I'd call this a Metallica must. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics on this album are awesome. Fade To Black is probably my favorite song lyricwise, and Creeping Death, whoever thought about writing a song about moses. James Hetfield has a way to express his demons through his songs. Probably 90% of the reason why Metallica had so many hits is because people can relate to the lyrics. // 10

Overall Impression: All in all this album is great. The only bad thing I think is that it's not as heavy as Kill'Em All but every band has some change in their sound over time. I strongly recommend this album to Metallica fans and espiring guitarist, drummers and bassist. (Cliff Burton RIP). // 10

Ride The Lightning Reviewed by: breadfan82, on august 11, 2005

Sound: This is f--king Metallica, baby! Could "Fight Fire With Fire" be played any faster? Probably not (and if so, I'd love to see who can and maybe shred with them sometime). I guess that I'd best describe this album as a thick mass of metal bliss. Harmonies aplenty, tons of crunchy, unforgettable riffs, more experienced lyrical compositions. Solos blaze throughout, and the tempos are phenominal. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are perfectly suited for the music. Hetfield delivers with pride and passion, and the lyrical content is as doomy and nihilistic as ever. // 10

Overall Impression: Aw, you don't like songs about capital punishment and destruction? Well, get over it, bitch. That's what this whole f'n album is about. And it would have sucked if it were any other way. Most impressive songs were certainly "Fight Fire With Fire," "Ride The Lightning," "Trapped Under Ice," "For Whom the Bell Tolls," and "Creeping Death." I'm still not a fan of "Fade To Black." It's on the radio nine times a day and really starting to wear thin in my opinion. Otherwise, another jewel in heavy metal's collection. If it were stolen, I'd carve the word 'thief' in the bastard's grave, if you get my drift. Buy it, man. See for yourself. // 10

Ride The Lightning Reviewed by: unregistered, on august 29, 2005

Sound: I consider this album as Metallica's early masterpiece. Of course, Master Of Puppets was a better one, but this album came earlier, so that's why I call it so. The sound is really cool. The guitars really get's you an electric feeling. The bass-lines are great. Especially in For Whom The Bell Tolls. The drums really fit to the rest of the instruments, so I whould say that Ulrich made a great job to! The sound is awesome! // 10

Lyrics: Well, the lyrics are really have a meaning. Especially in Fade To Black. I simply want to cry when I listen to that song. The overall lyrics that James uses is violent. Either about war, different elemental powers or simply just cool. The lyrics really fit this album but I James does not have a good voice, mever liked that. The older Metallica got, the cooler Hetfield sang. Because this is an early album, I don't like his voice that much. But the lyrics are great! // 8

Overall Impression: Right, I'll take this song by song: 01. Fight Fire With Fire - a really great acoustic intro. Really peacefull, but then it crashes into the worst song Metallica has ever made! The riff really sucks and the chorus is a big joke! Not to menchon the verse. I just can't listen get nyself to like this one 1.5/10. 02. Ride The Lightning - a fantastic and mighty intro! Really makes you feel comfortable after the joke track before it. After the intro the song I ok I guess. Then it really get's you going with another amazing Kirk Hammet-solo 4.5/10. 03. For Whom The Bell Tolls - it took me awhile to like this song, but when I did I found it real fun to play. Fantascic bass work by Cliff Burton. The drums really fit in and he guitars are just to good to be true 10/10. 04. Fade To Black - a real Metallica masterpiece. Not a second on this song is bad. I kinda get in a trance when I hear the intro solo. Awesome track 10/10. 05. Trapped Under Ice - to place such a lousy song after a comeplete miracle was the biggest mistake this band has ever made. It is worse than Fight Fire With Fire. But that's only because Fight Fire's got a good intro. Worthless peace of s--t 1/10. 06. Escape - I guess it's Ok. But it doesn't really fit Metallica to make such a song. By that I mean the chorus. Everything else is ok. I like the riff though 4/10. 07. Creeping Death - my brother really got me listening to this song. The riffs are awesome and there's really nothing bad about this song. Not a masterpiece but still really good 8/10. 08. The Call Of Ctulu - I have to admit, that this is the best instrumental song I have ever heard. Every riff is great. Maybe they play some riffs a little to long. But that's the way Metallica do things. Some parts are just too good to be true 9.5/10. // 8

Ride The Lightning Reviewed by: munit, on september 25, 2005

Sound: This was personally my favorite Metallica album. The sound was absolutely superior, and I believe that this album was way ahead of its time. The insanity of such songs as "Fight Fire With Fire" and "Ride The Lightning" combined with the pure tone of "Fade To Black" was an amazing combination, and made this album great. // 10

Lyrics: Although it has been said to be the weaker part of the album, I personally loved Hetfield's vocals in this album. I am listening to "Ride The Lightning" right now, and I can see how his voice has changed immensley between then and the Black Album, but I loved the real sense of fear that was in the vocals of all the songs. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall this album was great! I can't honestly choose a favorite song from the album, because to me there weren't any. Metallica has truly shown their talent in this album, between the speed of "Fight Fire with Fire", the cleanliness found in "Fade To Black" and the musical talent found in "The Call Of Ktulu." I highly recommend this CD, and I know I would buy it again in a heartbeat if it was ever stolen or lost. // 10

Ride The Lightning Reviewed by: merabharatmahan, on february 13, 2006

Sound: Another amazing and spectacular album from the Gods of rock - Metallica. There are some amazing riffs and solos on this album with an amazing set of lyrics. This gives the album a sexy sound and a must listen for all people. It is mainly hard rock with some sexy solos. The album is a great one and has an amazing set of songs. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics on the album are really good. They fit in well with the fast riffs and songs. The solos go with the songs and I swear there are some amazing ones. James Hetfield at his height of power. He sings really really well and plays some great riffs as well. Ride The Lightning is a song about what a man thinks and feels while he walks to his death at the electric chair. // 10

Overall Impression: It is definitely one of their greatest albums ever. It is also one of the greatest rock albums ever made. It has some amazing solos and riffs and is a must listen for any upcoming rock guitarist. Kirk, Lars, Jason and James have made a brilliant album! // 10

Ride The Lightning Reviewed by: njustice4all, on june 05, 2007

Sound: This is Metallica's second album. This album sounds a bit more metal than their first album being 'Kill 'Em All'. Every song in this sweet album is composed of several one of a kind guitar riffs and solos. No other metal band have come close to this. There are many similar bands like Megadeth and Anthrax but Metallica still kept thta sound that was so different at that time. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics are very meaty in this cd. James Hetfield had the perfect voice for metal singing. He has a very unique singing style. That many have tried to produce themselves and failed miserably. Check out some funny videos of that on www.youtube.com for some laughs. But overall the lyrics go hand in hand with the heavy guitar riffs going at the same time. // 9

Overall Impression: Even thought this album was released to the public way back in 1984. It still is one of the best metal albums ever made to date. And the only reason why that is true is because Metallica itself was one of the best metal bands and still is. Even after being together for over 25 years. But in the end you have to admit that this album truely is a piece of musical art. Every metal fan should own this album. If you buy it, it won't fail to impress. I got this album as a gift and out of my huge CD collection (over 1,000) this is in my top 10 most favorite. If I ever lost this album I would go to the nearest store and rebuy it in a heart beat. I'm a huge Metallica fan but I only like their few albums released in the '80s which are their best. But every metal fan should know that. // 10

Ride The Lightning Reviewed by: black_sabbath, on march 07, 2006

Sound: Metallica's second album, in my opinion, showed the world that Metallica was here to stay. Perhaps, not the greatest production or sound quality, having said that I would like to say this is among the best albums I've ever heard. It might not be as great as Master Of Puppets, but it is in its own way great, and an immortal album. The song Fade To Black is the pick of the songs as far as production and sound quality is concerned. From insane speed and thrash metal in the greatest debut album in history Kill 'Em All, to an unforgettable classic album in the form of Ride The Lightining. // 9

Lyrics: Here is where you can see Metallica's change, with tracks like For Whom The Bell Tolls, Fade To Black, Creeping Death and Fight Fire With Fire, this album has some quite incredible material in it. Creeping death and Fade to black are among the greatest lyrics Metallica or for that matter any band has ever written. Hetfield, though I much prefer his voice in the later albums I think did his level best in this album. I especially like his voice in Fade to Black. Great lyrics, great compilance of the lyrics with the music, magnificent, and awe inspiring. // 10

Overall Impression: This has to be among the top ten greatest Heavy Metal albums of all time, First being Master of Puppets and second no matter what has got to be Iron Maiden's Number Of The Beast. Overall I love this album, its awesome, I only wish they could have added some more tracks to it. Anyway, a complete metal album. A must have for any metal lover, or headbanger. // 10

Ride The Lightning Reviewed by: Trytan, on september 04, 2007

Sound: Ride the Lightning kept a lot of traits from Kill 'Em All, but also gained some new characteristics. While it kept the high speed insanely distorted thrashy riffs, from Metallica's debut, it also included some slower acoustic, clean songs, such as Fade to Black, and Call of the Ktulu. It still included some pretty sick solos from Hammett. On top of that, his Guitar ability seems to have improved since Kill 'Em All, with shreddy speed solo's like Ride the Lightning and Creeping Death to the slowed down pure musicianship in Fade to Black. Another small thing I like about the lead in this album is it's echoing, wet, mysterious sound. However, these are all good traits. The album also kept the poor production and sound quality of the first album. The vocals could have been more, clear. Overall, the album is a great example of some classic thrash, pros and cons included. // 9

Lyrics: A definite improvement from Kill 'Em All, in both lyrical content AND quality. The songs have much more meaning, with Lyrical themes such as Nuclear War, Freezing and Drowning, Plague, the Death Penalty. And pretty much Death in general. What can get much better than that? Lyrical quality is still iffy, but did improve from their debut. From the unclear, muffled, yelling of Kill 'Em All. Well how could they not improve? James voice is clearer, lyrics are much more understandable, and overall just better. James also added some soft singing instead of the growling normally used. Fade to Black is really a huge step vocal-wise for Metallica. So all together, the lyrics and vocals are definitely an improvement. We've got that cleared up. // 6

Overall Impression: 01. Fight Fire With Fire - beautiful harmonized acoustic guitar starts out this song. Then in comes the huge thrashy riff. Then in comes James' voice. Not a great vocal example. But this song doesn't need awesome vocals to be an awesome song. Although it would've helped give it a higher rating. 02. Ride The Lightning - I must say that the beginning is very catchy. And if you have your speakers turned all the way up right when the song begins, it sure scares the heck out of people. it's about the Death Penalty, and Death itself (a common theme of this album). The lyrics/vocals are just average, but that doesn't matter. This song is one in the trilogy of what I call Metallica's Most Awesome Solo's, along with Master of Puppets, from the album of the same name, and One, from ...And Justice For All. Definitely one of the truly impressive songs on the album. 03. For Whom The Bell Tolls - the classic Hells Bells bells toll at the start of For Whom the Bell Tolls. That's almost a Tongue-Twister. An awesome bass riff courtesy of Cliff Lee Burton, God rest his soul. The vocals for this song are some of the best in Metallica's entire career. The ending Guitar solo, if you want to call it that is quite intriguing. While this song may not be the thrashiest or the headbanging. It still is one of Metallica's most successful songs, albeit is simplicity. 04. Fade To Black - the definite highlight of the album. Metallica's first stab at a semi-acoustic ballad is a successful one. While at the time, the song was considered a sellout, it remains to this day one of Metallica's signature songs. From the beautiful opening acoustic guitar with the ominous sounding solo over it's top, to the sad sounding verse, to the gradual gain in heaviness, to it's climax moment, the solo, this song just reeks awesomeness. More on the solo. This has got to be Kirk Hammett's greatest solo ever, even if it isn't a speedy shred of death. The musicianship and technicality just flows from it like a river. The way it just melds with the song is incredible. When you listen to this piece of music, you just think Wow, this is gold. This is what a great song sounds like. 05. Trapped Under Ice - this is definitely the remains of Kill 'Em All. This song maintains that extreme speed that was all over Metallica's debut album. The song starts with a slow paced distorted power chord, followed by a few more, into an insane intro solo, which basically marks the beginning of the face-meltiness (yeah, I said face-meltiness) in this song. From this point on we have notes fast enough to be a Dragonforce song, a crazy, eyeball-popping solo, and harsh vocals. Although not widely regarded as a highlight from the album, it definitely fits the position of the Dark Horse. 06. Escape - this song is the weakest point of the album. The guitar work isn't that great, the vocals are okay, but forgettable (Trust me on this one, I've listened to this song plenty, and I still can't remember the lyrics), and the guitar solo is just average. Metallica doesn't seem to like this song either. They've never played it live. Ever. Maybe because it's not well regarded by fans, or maybe they just plain don't like it. I personally like it. It's a favorite of mine, but, well. 07. Creeping Death - one of Metallica's greatest songs, and definitely a staple of their live performances. With a memorable riff, a crazy ass solo, and awesome lyrics about plagues and death that creeps n' stuff. What could possibly go wrong. The song is based upon the plague in the desert and Cliff Burton saying, it's like Creeping Death. This song is also a staple of live performances with it's fast paced theme and middle bridge with the word Die chanted over and over (the fans just gotta chant along). 08. The Call Of Ktulu - a really long instrumental. It has one of the creepiest beginnings to a song I have ever heard. Try listening to that alone in a dark house at 2 in the morning. The song slowly gains pace as it goes along until finally we hit a fully distorted riff. The solo for this is an excellent long bit of guitar work, as is the case with the entire album. Interestingly, this song was written mostly by Dave Mustaine. It was originally titled When Hell Freezes Over. The title was later changed by Cliff Burton, in honor of The Call of Cthulhu, an H.P. Lovecraft book, which Burton was a big fan of. In my personal opinion, I prefer the first title. Ride the Lightning is a classic example of real thrash. It follows only behind Master of Puppets as Metallica's greatest work. It produced 5 great Metallica songs, which are still played often at concerts. It came at just about the perfect time: before Metallica turned away from their thrash roots, but after they had solidified themselves as a high class band (high enough to produce sufficient sound quality). It is ranked among the greatest metal albums of all time by many, and has sold 5 million albums in the US, and even more worldwide. Ride the Lightning is just a great album. Go buy it. Now. // 10

Ride The Lightning Reviewed by: petrucci_owns86, on december 18, 2007

Sound: This is Metallica's second album, and comes between Kill 'Em All and Master of Puppets in chronology. In a way, this album bridged the gap between Kill 'Em All and Puppets because it pushed the fast thrash metal of Kill 'Em All into a sort of progressive structure found on Puppets and ...And Justice For All. The entire album is heavy thrash metal, with added innovations like an instrumental ("The Call of Ktulu"). Ride The Lightning is a pinnacle of heavy metal music, and should not be overlooked. Many songs have different concepts, such as how the title track talks about the electric chair. The sound is a little more full than their debut, Kill 'Em All, but the midrange is still pretty scooped on the guitars. Every song has a guitar solo, in typical Metallica fashion. Overall, it comes fairly close to Puppets in sound. It also has a really cool album cover to boot. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics deal with many different topics, such as the apocalypse (Fight Fire With Fire), suicide (Fade to Black), or death by electrocution (Ride The Lightning). To me, the lyrics are very well written, and James Hetfield sings them well. I especially love how the depressing lyrics of "Fade to Black" fit with the overall depressing tone of the song. 01. Fight Fire With Fire - the song starts out with acoustics for about 35 seconds, and then swells into one of the fastest, heaviest riffs I've ever heard. Later on in the song Kirk Hammett launches into a completely mental guitar solo. Discusses the apocalypse. 02. Ride The Lightning - this song covers the topic of death in the electric chair. Some really great riffs here, and a jaw-dropping solo courtesy of Mr. Hammett. 03. For Whom The Bell Tolls - this is a classic, right here. Takes a little over two minutes for the vocals to start. The outro guitar solo as the song fades is bizarre, but it's still pretty cool. 04. Fade To Black - this song suggests a story of man contemplating and eventually commiting suicide. This is one of Metallica's classic songs, and combines elements of both acoustic and electric guitars. The guitar solos are awe-inspiring here. 05. Trapped Under Ice - this song is pretty fast, and it's really thrashy. Discusses the topic of being trapped under ice. I wonder why? It's about four minutes long. 06. Escape - this is actually a pretty catchy song. This four and a half minute song is probably the low point of the album for me, though. 07. Creeping Death - another Metallica trademark. Very thrashy, very good song. This is written from the point of view of the Plague of the Firstborn. Type it into Wikipedia to learn more. Awesome guitar solo, and the "Die!" chants follow shortly after. One of my favorites from this album. 08. The Call Of Ktulu - Metallica's first instrumental, almost nine minutes long. The intro is very cool, but is a little too long. To make up for that, there are some great guitar solos on this track. Closes the album in a dramatic way. // 10

Overall Impression: This album comes very close to Master of Puppets, but I don't think that album can be topped. Just about the whole album is impressive to me. As with Master of Puppets, there really isn't anything to dislike. If it were stolen or lost, I would immediately buy it again. If you are a metal fan, this is a must-own. // 10

Ride The Lightning Reviewed by: ew94, on february 11, 2009

Sound: Basically the sound in this album is what Metallica sounded like in their prime. They put together one of the best Metallica albums out there, with a mixture of thrash, heavy, and instrumental and a ballad, Fade to Black. The bass can be heard in the background (something that was VERY usual back then) and also Lars puts in a couple of drum solos in some songs. Production improved a hell of a lot since Kill 'Em All, which makes this album stay in NUMBER 1 for me. Also I like how the acoustic intro in Fight Fire With Fire suddenly explodes in the FASTEST and most BADASS riff I've ever heard in my life. Plus the solos in this album just finish the greatness that this album is. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics in this album are just awesome, Hetfield's singing also improved a lot since their first album and his writing skills are also better here. He used various ideas in this album, suicide (Fade to Black), apocalypse (Fight Fire With Fire), death (Ride The Lightning, Trapped Under Ice), war (For Whom the Bell Tolls) and even religius ideas (Creeping Death). 01.Fight Fire With Fire: this song deals with the end of the world or the apocalypse being near, Hetfield's vocals go excellent with the theme, both dark and low. The solo in this song is one of the best in the album. Also the ending thunder is a serioulsy awesome bridge between this song and Ride The Lighning. 02.Ride The Lightning: this song is about a man about to be killed by the elctric chair, as this is mentioned in the end of the verses and he is describing how it's happening in the chorus. The solo really blew me away, if I'm correct, this is the first time that Kirk used tapping in a solo. 03.For Whom The Bell Tolls: the point of this song is about a war that has ended and the soldiers from that war are being honored by a bell. One of the things that makes this song one of the best in the album, is the chromatic intro that Cliff (R.I.P) came up with and also the really eerrie ending, which gave me chills down my spine. 04.Fade to Black: this is the number 1 from the album, this should have been the single. The lyrics are about a man who is drepessed and is also contemplating suicide, as the song progresses, the man is going nearer to the point that he cannot take it anymore, so he commits suicide. The solos in this song are epic, also the combination of acoustic verses, then jumping into heavy-as-hell-without-words choruses, make this, one of Metallica's greatest masterpieces. 05.Trapped Under Ice: the lyrics aren't that hard to get, it's about being trapped under a sheet of ice, to the point of death. The intro is pretty darn cool, going from a simple power chord riff, to a super fast shred solo by your's truly Kirk Hammett, the rest is pure thrash, the second and third solos are still amazing. 06.Escape: not the best of songs in this album, but stil has catchy riffs and a cool solo. 'm not too sure about the lyrics, but the only thing I can get so far, is that is about going out and living to the full or something like that. 07.Creeping Death: this song is one of their best song ever, also a concert favourite, as crowd go f--king mental when Metallica play this song. The lyrics aren't so hard to understand as well, it's the story of the ten plagues and the angel of death, who came at night. 08.The Call of Ktulu: this is the greatest instrumental I've heard in my life. It's based on the book "The Call of Chultu" by HP Lovercraft. Frigging great. Eerie as hell if you ask me, Kirk uses volume pedals and distorted arpeggios. The siolo in this song is also incredible. // 10

Overall Impression: This album is the pinnacle of Metallica's sound, Master of Puppets is also freaking cool, but I think that this album passes Master for about just a bit. Fade to Black, Fight Fire With Fire and Creeping are the best songs in this album to me, the rest are in no correct order, but these three are the best songs in the album. The thing that I love the most from this album, is the creativity that Metallica showed with it, you don't see Slayer or Megadeth write songs like Fade to Black and acoustic intros like Fight Fire With Fire. Hell yeah I would get this again if it got lost. This is a must for any Metallica fan that wants to hear them when they were at their best. // 10

Ride The Lightning Reviewed by: warlockshredder, on march 25, 2010

Sound: This album may be their best. I think that at this point they were at their best. The opening track, "Fight Fire with Fire" had a bit of a deceiving intro, but than explodes into the music we know and love. "Ride the Lightning" is an amazing song with extremely heavy riffs and lyrics. "Fade to Black" and "Creeping Death" both have intense solos that fit the song perfectly. I can't think of any problems with this album. The music is clear and understandable, and Kirk Hammett begins to show he is a guitar GOD. // 10

Lyrics: Lyrics for this album = amazing. 01. Fight Fire with Fire: "do unto others as they've done to you, but what the hell is this world coming to?" Lyrics fit the song perfectly and stay with the topic of the title. 02. Ride The Lightning: "Someone help me! Oh please God help me! theyre trying to take it all away! I don't want to die!" Again, the lyrics fit the song perfectly and stay on topic. 03. For Whom The Bell Tolls: "Take a look to the sky just before you die, its the last time you will." Obviously, this song is about dying. Not their craziest song, but the 'solo' if you want to call it that is still fitting to the song. 04. Fade To Black: "Life it seems to fade away. Drifting further everday. Getting lost within myself, nothing matters no one else. I have lost the will to live, simply nothing more to give. There is nothing more for me, need the end to set me free" Inspiring. This song was written about suicide. The lyrics may seem depressing, but they have helped alot of people overcome suicide. Including me. This song will always be one of their best ballads ever. 05. Trapped Under Ice: "Freezing, can't move at all, screaming, can't hear my call, I am dying to live, cry out, I'm trapped under ice" I think hes trapped under ice. Lyrics stay with the title and keep the listener interested. 06. Escape: "Feel no pain, but my life ain't easy, I know I'm my best friend, no one cares, but I'm so much stronger, I'll fight until the end. This song is about being your own self and not letting a ring of people (Ring of Stupidity) control you. 07. Creeping Death: "Slaves! Hebrews born to serve to the pharaoh. Heed! To his every word. Live in fear" This song is about the story from the Bible when moses was sent by God to free his people from egypt. There were ten plagues, and the last one was the angel of death, which killed the first born child of everyone who didn't spread the blood of a lamb on their door. The other plagues can be heard on the song. 08. Call Of Ktulu: no lyrics but great instrumental. one of their best. // 10

Overall Impression: This album is closely tied for best Metallica album with Master of Puppets. "Fade to Black", "Creeping Death", and "Ride the Lightning", all have AMAZING solos. The lyrics and music are clear and inspiring. I would buy this album agin if I lost it, because I can't live without it. // 10

Ride The Lightning Reviewed by: Travisl93, on february 15, 2012

Sound: Debuting in 1983 Metallica had already established large fan base nation wide and their debut album "Kill 'Em All" what most consider the very first thrash metal album and have crowned Metallica the "Godfathers of Thrash". In 1984 they proved that they weren't going to be victims of what many call the "Sophomore Slump" that many bands before them have suffered. Unlike "Kill 'Em All", "Ride The Lightning" have a lot better quality sounding more like a studio album than a demo. This jump in quality can be credited to the band hiring Rainbow producer Flemming Rasmussen. After the success of "Ride The Lightning" Rasmussen would produce the band's next two albums: "Master Of Puppets" (1986) and "...And Justice For All" (1988). Even though this album sounds more like a studio album the guys in Metallica kept some of the "Kill 'Em All" sound on this album which gives it that raw, pissed off feel Metallica fans know and love. This album was also the first to feature singer/rhythm guitarist James Hetfield playing acoustic as the album's opening track "Fight Fire With Fire" opens with a clean, calm acoustic intro leading into a fierce, fast paced song with late bassist Cliff Burton and drummer Lars Ulrich filling in the rhythm sections with heavy under tones and fast double foot pedal drumming. This heavy sound continues into the next song the album's title track, but it's the 3rd song on the album that will leave people in amazement. "For Whom The Bell Tolls" starts with a bell ringing out twice leading into a full bass driven intro letting Burton's guitar-sounding like tone lock you in wanting more though the song really doesn't have a solo it's full of solo breaks from guitarists James Hetfield and Kirk Hammett and countless bass and drum fulls cover the verses. Things slow up so with the next song "Fade To Black" which starts and remains acoustic through the verses becoming heavier and faster by the bridge and picking up speed by the end as Kirk Hammett launches into an amazing end solo as the songs fades out. The next two songs "Trapped Under Ice" and "Escape" are your normal early Metallica songs but it's the last two that help bring this album together. "Creeping Death" which these days is the opening song of Metallica's set and the 2nd to last song on the album is a heavy thrash song with dark backing vocals provided by Cliff Burton giving an evil feel to Hetfield's vocal during the chorus and bridge. The last song of the album shows the band's tribal influences showing the band experiment with ancient and medieval styles of playing. This song featured Cliff Burton doing some of his best studio work with his effects bringing out the darkness in the song it's also the 2nd instrumental done by the band and the last of the songs former lead guitarist and current Megadeth front man/guitarist Dave Mustaine helped write. // 9

Lyrics: Lyrics for this album aren't like your typical album where certain songs have the subject matter as others, but every subject of the album ties together one way or another. "Ride The Lightning" focuses on one main subject which is death the thing making this album different from anything else before it, is that they touched on parts of death most people would dare to touch on in 1984. As Slayer covered more of the afterlife focusing more on Hell, Satan, Demons, Black Magic, etc. Metallica covered subjects like religious exile, suicide, capitol punishment, and struggling death (burning, drowning, being froze, etc.). Through the album singer James Hetfield sings with insane force getting his point across by becoming the person or people portrayed suffering in the lyrics written by him and drummer Lars Ulrich. One thing that stands out vocally to me in this album is Cliff Burton's backing vocal which I commented on in the section above. On the album's title track as bridge hits before and after the solo James Hetfield comes in singing: "Someone help me/ OH PLEASE GOD HELP ME/They're trying to take it all away/I don't want to die", as Hetfield sings die Burton comes in with a bone-chilling scream like that of someone being killed in a horror movie giving the line the meaning and thought behind it. "Fade To Black" touches on a darker personal matter as it was written from thoughts fueled by Hetfield's depression on the road. "Creeping Death" is a song that thinking back on how things were in 1984 you wonder why a band would release a song like this. Lyrics from the song describe the exile of Moses and the Jewish people of Egypt as it is told in the Christian Bible. After Kirk Hammett's guitar solo as James Hetfield sings the next couple lines the backing vocals in Burton and the band chanted die over and over again. As the song draws to a close and the chorus is sang once more before a twin end solo Hetfield is backed up yet again by Burton but this time the backing is way more sinister and turns this song which is about God saving his people into a completely opposite and dark side of the storyline. // 10

Overall Impression: Many people say "Master Of Puppets" is Metallica's best album. Yes I will agree on that to the level of being one of their best. Overall "Ride The Lightning" is the best of the best. This album captures the moment and energy the guys had at their prime being as this album was right in the middle of the club days to the transition over the international rock stars. The only thing about this album that I hate is that its very underrated due to it being in between "Kill 'Em All" and "Master Of Puppets" this album gets no where near the credit it deserves. If you don't own this album you are messing out on a complete piece of history because this album will continue to stand the test of time in the hearts of metalheads worldwide. // 10

Ride The Lightning Reviewed by: dscguitar, on september 25, 2003

Sound: This record is pure genius. Metallica takes a mature and calculated approach to hard rock on Ride the Lightning. The riffs are complex and innovative. They pierce you to the bone. Tracks like "The Call of Ktulu" boast intricate and thought-provoking guitar attacks. Metallica displays an unbelievable amount of musical capability and accomplishment on this album. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics on Ride the Lightning range from the Bible's story of Passover and the Exodus (Creeping Death) to the death penalty (Ride the Lightning). They are interesting and make you think. The words definitly compliment the music. You not only hear but feel the urgency of "For Whom the Bell Tolls" and the melancholy of "Fade to Black". James Hetfield is a very talented singer and accomplished lyricist. // 10

Overall Impression: My overall impression of Ride the Lightning is that it is a well written and musically inspiring album. It is, by far, my favorite Metallica recording. It displays their diversity and musical abilities. The complexity and intricacies of Kirk Hammet's guitar-playing are nothing short of inspiring. The only thing I didn't like about this album is the fact that Lars Ulrich (the coniving little weasel he is) contributes to it. I would not hesitate to replace it if stolen. Ride the Lightning is definitly woth buying. // 10

Ride The Lightning Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 08, 2004

Sound: The guitar parts on this album are some of Metallica's more complicated riffs. Not to metion the awsome as hell solos that Kirk does. James Hetfield is one of the best rhythm guitar players of all time and Kirk Hammet is one of the best metal lead guitarists of all time and when you mix those two on an album you get this. When I heard the guitar solo on the song Ride the Lightning it blew my mind and all of the background guitar makes it even better. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics on this album are a little wierd, but the are still bad as Hell. They just seem to fit in with the guitars throughout the entire album. Not only are they good but these lyrics have true meaning behind them like on the song Fade To Black. These lyrics took some time to write and I think Metallica deserves a Big hand for writing these kick ass lyrics. // 10

Overall Impression: What can I except for Damn. This is one of Metallica's most underated CD's, yet it is one of my Favorite ones. The best songs on here are Fade To Black, Ride the Lightning, and For whom the bell tolls. I love the the complex power chord riffs on this album they really make you think about how good this band really is. I hate the first song Fight Fire with Fire because the lyrics are stupid but, that is the only one with stupid lyrics. This album is well worth your money unless your a puss then I suggest you dont buy it. There is so much rock n roll on this album I would just buy it to listen to the guitar parts. If you like this Album I would suggest any other metallica Cd's especially Kill em' All and anything by AC/DC, Guns N' roses, Def leppard, motley Crue, or Aerosmith. Have a nice F'in day!!! // 10

Ride The Lightning Reviewed by: unregistered, on february 11, 2004

Sound: Metallica's 1984 'Ride The Lightning' record! There is only 2 words to describe this classic record... Pure Awesome!! I'm a big Metallica fan myself and you might think I'm being biased but I'm not... even all fellow metal heads will enjoy this record even though you havn't really gave Metallica a chance. Ok then... sound... erm... well the record opens with a great track called 'Fight Fire With Fire' with is personally one of my fave 'tallica songs. Nice, gentle, 'Medevil, if you will' intro at the start that builds up to a fast, furious, thrashy riffage and this gets you into the Metallica spirit! The entire album in my opinion is full of surprised... listen to their newest (and in my opinion, poor) album 'St Anger' and then listen to this record. You will most definetly prefer the early sounds of Metallica more than the newer stuff!! In conclusion for this paragraph... Long boring rubbish stuff OUT (St Anger)... endless solos that kick ass IN!!! // 10

Lyrics: Woah... the lyrics... what can I say apart from... GENIOUS!! James Hetfield at his best, very inspiring towards young singer/song writers. Just like he said on MTV's Metallica Icon, "When I looked back ... I was like, wow", For example, the classic track from this record titled 'Fade To Black', when I first listened to it I was very impressed how James Hetfield could make a song so effective and emotional that you can relate with it. Another example, the song titled 'Trapped Under Ice' is the most insane and unbelievable Metallica song I've heard in the life!! Fast, crazy, distort, heavy, and very very effective. Just the song title 'Trapped Under Ice' gives you the impression of one of the scariest experiences you could unluckily encounter in your like, and James Hetfield captures the terror in this track, as if you're really trapped under ice!! // 10

Overall Impression: Ok... the overall impression... damn it I'm gonna be here for about a month so I'll TRY and keep it brief. It is my fave CD and I think will be in that position for a long time to come! There is alot of very very impressive songs on this record. Such as, 'For Whom The Bell Tolls', 'Fade To Black', 'Trapped Under Ice' & 'Creeping Death'. I would name all the tracks but these are the headliners of the record. I loved everything about this record... however, the only thing I hate is that Metallica stopped producing material like this 15 years ago!! I would buy this record over and over again and hope you give it a try, I even have the T-shirt of it for god sake... because it rules so much! If you're a heavy metal fan and is in need for a record full of fast, thrashy, fearce riffs brought to you by no one other than the guitar god, Kirk Hammet? Well buy this album and I guarantee you, you will thank me one day!! Thanks, Brent Hood (hoodynufc@hotmail.com). // 10

Ride The Lightning Reviewed by: Spike6sic6, on march 02, 2004

Sound: I'll start off by saying this is my favorite Metallica album. Catchy riffs, as in Ride The Lightning (song), Call of Ktulu and Fight fire with fire. Cool and fast solos as always by the lead guitarist Kirk Hammet, aswell as really good rythm guitar by James Hetfield. // 10

Lyrics: James shows his talent as a singer and lyricist, as in every album. Down and depressive lyrics in Fade to black, death penalty in Ride the lightning. Simply great. // 10

Overall Impression: This is my favorite Metallica album, and there's one reason: Fade to black. This album is good as Master of Puppets or ...And justice for all but it contains my favorite song ever...Fade to black. There's nothing I hate about this album, really. I love every single song, which is rare on CD's these days. I would definitely buy it again, without even thinking. It's a musthave for every metal fans...no wait, for everybody. // 10

Ride The Lightning Reviewed by: DiscipleOfRock, on march 10, 2004

Sound: Even twenty years after it's release, "Ride the Lightning" is still truly incredibe and awe inspiring. Whether it's Hammett's intensly fast (not to mention freakin' awesome) solos, Hetfield's equally intense rhythm guitar and piercing lyrics, Burton's masterful bass, or Ulrich's drum beat, there's something in every track that makes it great, if not revolutionary. I personally have spent hours completely engulfed in this album. It's..just..AWESOME! // 10

Lyrics: As if there was not enough already revolutionary about this album from an instrumental standpoint, Hetfield delivers raw, emotional lyrics, making this album EVEN better. From the suicide ballad, "Fade to Black," to "Trapped Under Ice," Hetfield delivers devestating performance after devestating performance, which few have paralelled. // 10

Overall Impression: "Ride the Lightning" was my formal introduction to heavy metal. Boy, did it get me hooked. It is hard to pick a favorite song; they're all phenominal. However, "Fade to Black" takes the top honors. Going from a tranquil acoustic line to pounding electric guitars, it is seven minutes of classic heavy metal. This album is simply great. Those new to metal, check this out. Every rocker should have this CD in their collection. As revolutionary as this was twenty years ago, it's still that damn good today. // 10

Ride The Lightning Reviewed by: unregistered, on march 16, 2004

Sound: With this album, Cliff Burton had a far larger influence than with "Kill 'Em All", which, I think, results in a far more complete sound, which is particularly evident on tracks such as "fade to black" and "for whom the bell tolls". The awesome thundering chugg of Cliff's bass perfectly compliments the warring guitars of Hetfield + Hammett, and with Lars stampeding away on the drums in the background, Metallica rarely put a foot wrong on this album, with the possible exception of "trapped under ice" and "escape", the only 2 tracks not co-written by Cliff, and the only 2 lacking that "complete" feel present in the others. The solos are probably the main thing to note aobut the guitar playing, with Hammett really letting loose on "ride the lightning" and "fade to black". The solos on this are, atleast in my opinion, the most satisfying of all Metallica albums. // 10

Lyrics: Hetfield's lyrics really matured from the first album and seemd to flow more seamlessly with the music, especially in "for whom the bell tolls" where Cliff tears out the classic "doom" riff, perfectly complimenting Hetfield's gloomy lyrics. James' voice also improved from "Kill 'Em All" sounding more melodic. // 10

Overall Impression: This is my favourite Metallica album. It improves on many aspects of "Kill..." and thrashes more than "Master...". The solos f**king rock, Cliff f**king rocksand the lyrics f**king rock. If it were lost, I would rip the balls off the wanker then buy a new copy. // 10

Ride The Lightning Reviewed by: LucasGtrGod, on april 20, 2004

Sound: This is probably Metallica's best album so far, it represents Metallica's growth from Kill 'em All, and has some of the best solos of any of their other records. In this album they truly show the greatness of their musicianship, through harmony and their overall tightness. The only problem with this album is that it sounds a bit small and distant. But overall it's a good album. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics in this album are all top notch, if a little obvious. James sings about everything from Armogeddon, to the exodus. James's voice suits the lyrics but his voice is nowhere near as good as it was on the black album. It sounds a bit like Ozzy Osbourne used to. // 10

Overall Impression: This album really set Metallica apart from all the speed\Thrash metal bands of that era, this album had everything, superfast riffs, brilliant orchestration and harmony, touching lyrics and one of their best ever ballads "Fade to Black". The only problem with this album like I said before is that it sound thin tone wise. But if it got stolen I'd certainly buy it again. // 10

Ride The Lightning Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 07, 2004

Sound: First of all if you are at all familiar with metallica you will have heared how badly recieved their latest album, St. Anger has been recieved, but don't worry this early metallica offering is lightyears away from St. Anger. First released in 1984 this was metallica's second offering after the inconspicous 'Kill em all' it derives heavily from the US thrash scene e.g moterhead, with a strong UK metal sound e.g Black Sabbath. This is metalica's first album that combined classical guitar and heavy rock guitar succesfuly, something that no other band has pulled off. Musicaly its a great mix of tight catchy metal riffs, blistering solos and emotional classical guitar. This album is the first to expose Kirk Hammet particualy as a great guitarist. // 10

Lyrics: Sadly as the band were still very young the lyrics are where this album falters, they are not very bad just a little obvious and sometimes the deppresing nature of them can get a little tiresome. Overall though they are well delivered and Hetfields voice sounds a lot cleaner, higher, and younger than on later records. // 6

Overall Impression: Overall it is a great buy, a must have for any metallica fan and if you want to get into this band you won't find a better place to start. Classic songs such as the epic 'Fade to Black' and the haunting 'For whom the bell tolls' are the albums best and remain a part of metallica's live show today. This record is the true beggining of a career full of highs and lows, this is certainly one of the highs. // 8

Ride The Lightning Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 17, 2004

Sound: This album is full of deep, harmonic riffs with a couple of heavy songs. A very 'light' song, Fade To Black, puts a good atmosphere in the album. Then there are the two masterpieces, Ride The Lightning and for Whom The Bell Tolls. You should buy the album for just these two because they are the best! // 10

Lyrics: The main theme of the lyrics is of different forms of death. Suicide, drowning, electrocution. They are mostly written by James and Lars. They don't get a five because in some songs they get a bit repetitive. // 8

Overall Impression: It is my favourite cd and if were lost or stolen I'd definetaley go out and buy a new copy. As I already said, the best songs are Ride The Lightning and for Whom The Bell Tolls. The whole album sounds really good and the only bad thing in my opinion is Call Of Ktulu. It just doesn't fit in with all the other songs. Escape isn't really up to scratch either but the album can't be perfect can it. This is a must-buy. Rock on James! // 8

Ride The Lightning Reviewed by: m0p, on november 23, 2004

Sound: In 'Lightning', Metallica's music style has matured alot from the previous album. Mostly because of Cliff Burton's contributions to the songs. His unique bass sound adds a really good sound to their songs. There are some slower songs on this album. Kill Em All was almost 100% fast. But, Metallica can still sound great when playing slow. For Whom The Bell Tolls and Fade To Black are great examples of this. // 10

Lyrics: James' voice has improved a bit, and has matured alot since 1983's Kill Em All, where he sounded rather squeeky and annoying. On this album, there are songs about death (Creeping Death), war (For Whom The Bell Tolls), and other nasty matters. Although, the lyrics are still well written. // 8

Overall Impression: This is Metallica's best album by far. It's much more enjoyable than the last album and has better songs. The highlights of this album are Fade To Black, Fight Fire With Fire (a prime example of the classic thrash metal 'crunch'), Call Of Ktulu (a confusing, but well written instrumental) and For Whom The Bell Tolls (nice rhythm). I would definately buy this album if you like metal of any kind. It's great! // 10

Ride The Lightning Reviewed by: metallica08, on march 16, 2005

Sound: When I first listened to this album, I almost wet myself. The sound of Hetfield's crunch of a tone and Hammett's high pitched tone goes together beautifully! Ride the Lightning is probably the best title song they have done so far. Fight Fire With Fire's rythym is so heavy it isn't even funny. The final song to bring the CD to a close is The Call Of Ktulu. The main rythym after the distortion kicks in is as heavy as can be. // 10

Lyrics: Hetfield's voice isn't as annoying as he was in Kill'Em All. This is good, and means that I can listen to it over, and over, and over again if I wish. Some of the lyrics are immature, but the band at this point is only a few years old. For those who hate to listen to words over and over again, this is the album for you! It isn't anything like St. Anger! // 10

Overall Impression: This is the hands down best Metallica CD to date! If it was stolen, I would buy five more to replace it. After you listen to Trapped Under Ice, Escape, The Call Of Ktulu, and Ride The Lightning, you are hooked. This is a good CD for Diehard Metal Militia or the newbie to the Metallica world. Long live Metallica! // 10

Ride The Lightning Reviewed by: Abyssal, on may 11, 2005

Sound: For me, this was the top of Metallica's guitar skills. Heavy metal, the best guitar playing stuff I know of. Trust me, I know a lot. 01. Fight Fire With Fire - cool intro, might confuse some stupid people who dont know whats happening, but it really depicts going from happy life to doomsday if Armageddon happens. 02. Ride The Lightning - awesome bass-guitar intro, heavy riffs, awesome soloing by Kirk. 03. For Whom The Bell Tolls - the first song I learnt on guitar, describes something about a war back in ww1, where they fought over hills. 04. Fade To Black - this song really affected my friends and me when we firs heard it. Really depressing but, thats the way I am. Awesome ending. 05. Trapped Under Ice - great beginning, and this is what I'd think of if I was trapped under ice somewhere. 06. Escape - makes you wanna freak out, or escape from whats really happening in life. 07. Creeping Death - makes me think of elementary school when I learned about moses, etc. Song almost tells a story, I can hear the riff right now in my head. 08. Call Of Ktulu - if I was ever going to make an instrumental, this is what I'd choose. Even though it sounds hard to play, it's easy after figuring it out for 5 mins. Good variety of sound on this album. // 10

Lyrics: Well, they're great. Really affects me when I listen or play the songs. Gets me in a really good skull bashing mood. Jame's singing is 2nd best here, on Master of Puppets he sounds a bit better. The lyrics really flow with the music. // 10

Overall Impression: If you're a metal fan, and you dont have this, bu it! And if you don't like it, youre a poseur. The most impressive songs would be Creeping Death, Ride The Lightning, Fade To Black or Fight Fire With Fire. I hate nothing about this, I love all of the songs. // 10

Ride The Lightning Reviewed by: SethMegadefan, on may 12, 2005

Sound: Being a hardcore Metallica fan like myself, it's not unusual that one day I decided to pick myself up a copy of their second album, "Ride The Lightning." I can't even begin to describe the feelings I had when I first popped it into the CD player. 01. Fight Fire With Fire - the album's opener, it may come off as a little odd for those who want straight-up thrash. It starts off with this almost medieval-sounding thing with, I believe, a classical guitar (I could be wrong, though), which obviously inspired them to do the same on their next release, Master of Puppets. However, after about a half-minute of the tranquil, peaceful part, something begins to happen. It fades away, you hear the cymbals slowly getting louder and the distortion slowly coming in, louder and louder and louder until the main riff comes in and all hell breaks loose. One of Metallica's most dangerous head-banging songs that could ultimately lead to serious long-term side-effects. It's blistering fast, the drums and the guitar sound like a nuclear holocaust (which is definitely what they were going for), and the lyrics ultimately tell you the story of a once-peaceful world being destroyed by nuclear war. It's one hell of a ride to kick off the album. 02. Ride The Lightning - it comes in with bass and guitar, and delivered in such a manner it is almost breathtaking. With the harmony working its way in with the guitars and Cliff hitting that bass note right on time, it's a heart-stopper. The song is about being sent to the electric chair, and it's another awesome ride. It has a great interlude with some nice solo work on Kirk's part, and the echoing out at the end makes it come to a perfect stop. 03. For Whom The Bell Tolls - it's one of their more famous tunes, but I never really found it to be all that good. The lyrics are well-written in it but the ameteur songcraft and lack of much of a bridge or anything makes it a pretty bland song. There is somewhat of a bridge between the choruses (of which there are only two), but it's not so much a bridge riff as it is a weak attempt at something that just isn't working out for them. The solo work at the ending seems a little odd to me, but I assume it's supposed to sound like WWI or something, as if in the middle of a battle. It's got a cool bell solo at the beginning, so I can't complain. 04. Fade To Black - another one of their more well-known songs. It's supposed to be about suicide, and I like the vagueness used in the lryics. James doesn't come right out and tell you what the song is about, and to me that's more mature than just coming out with unnecessarily obvious lyrics. From the acoustic work in the beginning to the heavy riffs and fast solo at the end, it's a pretty decent song. Nothing all that epic, really, but it's not bad for Metallica's first attempt at a ballad. 05. Trapped Under Ice - the riffs are pretty cool, and the solos are well-done, but to me the whole concept of the song is dumb. I don't know if James was using some sort of echo effect for his voice on the song, but it sounds kind of far-out (as if coming from under ice, I assume). To me I don't really care about somebody trapped under ice, because it just doesn't happen all that often, so for me it's just an average song. 06. Escape - excellent guitar harmony at the beginning, some nice riffs and well-written lyrics. It's just about how the government thinks they can control you but you're your own person and you can make decisions for yourself. They probably could have extended on it a bit more; the fade-out started too soon and I think they could have done some more stuff to it. Nevertheless, it's still a good song, even for Metallica's awesome standards. 07. Creeping Death - this song has possibly one of the coolest riffs ever; the main riff. Double-stop-city, which, to me, really makes it sound heavy. Some awesome solo work and excellent lyrics, which are about the ten plagues of Egypt from Exodus (it's the Bible, folks, pick up a copy sometime, it's actually quite interesting). To be honest, it was this song that inspired me to actually read Exodus. They did a good job with the lyrics, it was obvious they knew what they were writing about. Just an awesome song all around. 08. Call Of Ktulu - the album's closer, it's an instrumental. I love the clean intro, it sounds really good, but then it slips into a tri-tone note and the whole thing starts to fell really tense. Not a bad thing at all, it sounds great. It does this for a while and then comes the distortion. Some cool riffs in this song; fun to listen to and play. Cliff has some awesome stuff going on with his bass during this song, too. It's a really badass-sounding song, and the solo work isn't all that bad, either. The outro is good, too. They drag it on for a bit but not to an unnecessary extent. A great song to close the album. This was the only album that Metallica produced themselves (I'm pretty sure it was just produced by them), and it sounds awesome. It's really different from their other albums, not too thrashy, but not too grungy. It's a near-perfect album for the straight-up metal genre, in my opinion. Not speed, not thrash, just metal. A perfect example, too. // 10

Lyrics: This being only Metallica's second album, you're not expecting brilliant lyrics or breathtaking songwriting or anything, but it's really not that bad for only their second album. None of the songs have a repetitious feel to them, and all of the songs had some pretty decent lyrics. Some better than others, though. There are songs with good lyrics and songs with great lyrics. I believe that deserves a 5 for lyrics. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall, this is a stunning album coming from a band who's prior (and first) album was purely thrash. The approach to songcraft is much different, they really expand on their songs and have more than just fast-fast-fast the whole time. I think they spent a bit more time on this one and tried to have some nice melodies and everything. Whereas Kill'Em All felt like each song was the same riff over and over again with fast drums and guitar riffs, this album is a shockingly matured version of Metallica. If you don't have this album already, I strongly suggest going and getting it, it's well-worth your money. // 10

Ride The Lightning Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 30, 2005

Sound: Ride the Lightning is a Metallica's follow up album to theier first album "Kill'Em All." The sound on this album is suberb, each song is unique way, unlike Kill'Em All were alot of em use the same thing over and over. The sound has more structure to them. The style of this album is of course Metallica (metal indeed), killer riff's, fast palm's, killer solos, interesting drumming, Cliff Burton had become more creative. The only flaw on this album, the bass need to louder! // 10

Lyrics: Lyrics have improved tremendously form Kill'Em All, they have for the most part some meaning (Fade To Black ect), James's voice had become clearer, but on the exeption of Ride The Light (song) he sounds like a 13 year old boy who's voice is changing. // 8

Overall Impression: This is a msudt buy album! Probobly one of Metallica's best. If I broke it I would definiatly buy it again. // 10

Ride The Lightning Reviewed by: XxXgUiTaRxXx, on august 12, 2005

Sound: This is just gotta be my favorite album of all time, by my favorite band of all time. It's an instant classic from Fight Fire With Fire, to the instrumental The Call Of Ktulu. This is Metallica's most thrashiest album, better than Puppets, Reign In Blood, all of them. // 10

Lyrics: These lyrics are always runnning in my head while I sit in school while there's a lesson, there just that good. And James's voice in this is at it's finest in all the years, matured from Kill 'em All. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall, this album is better than any thrash album out there, and it's the best choice for all metal heads and Metallica fans alike. Metallica's new album comes out in 2006, so I'm hoping they decided to start doing thrash again and make it like this one. // 10

Ride The Lightning Reviewed by: unregistered, on august 18, 2005

Sound: Around 1984, we have pretty much glam rock on the mainstream and few good bands on the undreground, but this album sound different, it's a huge step from Kill'Em All, it's the perfect combination of speed, heaviness and melodic sounds, altough it's only 48 minutes long and have only 8 tracks. RTL was one of the most innovating albums of the '80s. The style of the album it's very simple, a raw of great guitar riffs at high speed, awesome dual guitar solos, extreme Basslines charged with heavy effects and distorsion, and one set of drumms, pumping the songs to the edge. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics was the minor point of this album, but still the lyrics have a great impact on the world, you can hear from the nuclear holocaust (FFWF), to biblical stories (CD), without leaving behind the polemic of the capital punishment to inocent people (RTL), the suicide lament (FTB), drug adiction problems (TUI); typical rebel yells (Escape) and some war book influences (FWTBT). James Hetfield, wasn't as talented as the NWOHM singers, so he developed a harsh vocal, that until the end of the decade was unique and powerfull, and even today, it can't be imitated. // 10

Overall Impression: Never was an album so perfect, since the golden age of Rush and Deep Purple. Without a doubt Metallica became a legend since this album. Not even one song is weak, even the most simple (Escape) have a difficulty grade that only Metallica can play with such perfection. Good thing about the album: it's the only Metallica studio album, produced by them, also you can hear songs written by Dave Mustaine, Cliff Burton, Kirk Hammett, L. Ulrich and J. Hetfield in one package. Bad Thing: It's overshadowed by Master Of Puppets. If you wanna have one of the greatest contemporain music masterpieces, you must have this album. // 10

Ride The Lightning Reviewed by: Metallifan2k5, on august 22, 2005

Sound: As with most '80s thrash metal, the sounds is a bit muddy in places, but this album has some wicked sound all the same. I particulary liked the solos in "Creeping Death" and "Fade To Black." Metallica has definitly changed their sound as time went by but "Ride" is one of thier better albums with some amazing solos by Kirk, and Cliff was (is) one of the better (best) bass players of this genre. // 10

Lyrics: Lyrics are typical Metallica, you hear stuff about war, suicide and of course death. An angry teenagers best medicine. The songs are as follows: 01. Fight Fire With Fire - nuclear warfare. A little acoustic jam at the beginning. Cool song, but not my fav. 4/5. 02. Ride The Lightning - death by electric chair. F--kin cool track with a wicked solo by Kirk. One of the best songs on the album 5/5. 03. For Whom The Bell Tolls - warfare in general. Cool tune. Like the lyrics 4.5/5. 04. Fade To Black - deals with suicide. Best song on the album by far. Awesome rhythm guitar with some absolutly wicked soloing by Kirk througout 6/5. 05. Trapped Under Ice - well the title sums it up. Cool track with some great solo work. Great head-banging tune, but almost seems like filler 4.5/5. 06. Escape - again, title says it all. Not one of my favs, but I did like the lyrics 4/5. 07. Creeping Death - the crap that the pharohs went through in ancient eygptian legend. 2nd best song on the album, with another f--kin wicked solo by Kirk and a great song to sing along to 5.5/5. 08. Call Of The Klutu - instrumental. I thought this was one of thier better instrumental works alongside "Orion" from Puppets. Kirk's lead guitar is great as usuall on the instrumentals. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall, this album is kickass. Newer metal fans might find the sound a bit muddy, but I look past that. I've listened to Metallica since I was in diapers and theyve grown to be my all-time fav. This album is probably thier 3rd best behind "Puppets" and "Justice" (in that order). Best songs were Fade To Black, Ride, and Creeping Death. If lost or stolen, I'd probably buy it again, after I found the thief and shoved my baseball bat up thier well you get the picture. // 10

Ride The Lightning Reviewed by: Rattlehead666, on august 22, 2005

Sound: Metallica's second album. I can't explain how great the sound is to this album. The intro and solo to Ride The lightning are great. The solos in Trapped Under Ice rocks. As you guys may all know the riffs in The Call Of Ktulu are used in Megadeth's Hangar 18 and in Megadeth's When. Also the song Fade To Black was formed because of when someone stole their equipment. // 10

Lyrics: Like I said in the ...And Justice For All review Jame's vocals are awesome. The lyrics fit the music perfectly. It's cool because it talks about from a guy getting electricutted in the electric chair to back in the Bible times about moses trying to free the Hebrews from the egyptians. // 10

Overall Impression: This compares to any of the four original Metallica albums and it compares to Megadeth: Killing Is My Business. I hate nothing of this album. I like everything about this album. If it were stolen I would find the person who took it. If it were lost I would find it again. // 10

Ride The Lightning Reviewed by: ChrisSnakes, on november 07, 2005

Sound: Heavy metal was at its prime in the days of Ride The Lightning, and leading the pack of rabid metal-hedz was a young group called Metallica. They were making a major impression in the underground with their demo tape "No Life 'Til Leather" and their debut album "Kill 'Em All" but no one was ready for the awesomeness that was to be unleashed upon the music world when Ride The Lightning came to be. The sound is probably the best of the Metallica albums, blending the pounding force of heavy metal with just the right amount of distortion thrown in for good measure. This was also one of the last albums to bear any influence/input from former Metallica guitarist and Megadeth frontman Dave Mustaine. Mustaine's style indirectly effects some of the songs, Call of the Ktulu in particular, and if you're a Megadeth fan you can notice similarities to some of the Ride The Lightening songs and Megadeth's early material (Killing Is My Business and Peace Sells in particular). The awesome bass work of Cliff Burton is also noted on this album, his amazing talent is apparent on this album more so than the other albmus he's performed on. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are simply amazing, in each song they tell a story. Creeping Death for example tells of the trials and tribulations of the Hebrew people during their tenure as slaves in Egypt. Ride The Lightning tells of a man trapped in a dream where he's about to face death via Electrocution. The lyrics and music blend together beautifully to provide what can only be called the best metal album of the '80s. // 10

Overall Impression: The album holds its own as the best metal album of the era, and that's quite a feat considering the competition from Iron Maiden, Megadeth and Motorhead to name a few. Eight heavy, passionate, amazing songs jammed onto one album and performed by the undisputed best of metal, Metallica. What more could any metal fan want? // 10

Ride The Lightning Reviewed by: unregistered, on december 12, 2005

Sound: This is a revolutionary heavy/thrash album. It took complex riff structure and mixed it with the motorhead-ish style of their first album. This is a very close second to their greatest, Master Of Puppets. The riffs are fast and driving, and the solos are great, one of my favorite guitar solos ever is in Ride The Lightning the song itself. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics pretty much all concern death in some way, except Escape (about escaping prison), and Call Of Ktulu which has none. Personally I think it's a cool idea to have all the lyrics themed like that, and For Whom The Bell Tolls's lyrics are inspired by the book which shares that name (by Hemingway). I like how James sounds on this album better than the debut, and delivers the lyrics well. // 10

Overall Impression: Another of my top favorite albums, just not as overall as good as Ride The Lightning, but has two songs which are unbeatable: Ride The Lightning and For Whom The Bell Tolls. Also, I particularly like the very beginning of Fight Fire With Fire (right after the acoustic bit that is), and I love to surprise people with that song. Call Of Ktulu is an excellent instrumental, its a good finisher and sounds awesome, better than Orion in my opinion. It's a shame Cliff Burton died and couldn't compose more of these great instrumentals. If anything happened to it, I'd go get a new one immediately. // 10

Ride The Lightning Reviewed by: unregistered, on december 13, 2005

Sound: Metallica were the first metal band I was really introduced to. I'm a complete indie addict but most of my friends are metalheads so naturally they tried to get me into some metal. Metallica was their first success. I now own about 5 metallica albums this one being my latest purchase. so what can be said about it? Well it does have quite varied styles of play to it. From straight thrash (Trapped Under Ice) to slower heavier stuff (For Whom The Bell Tolls). The production isnt incredible on the album and it doesnt sound as helathy now as it probably did on first release, but theres still power to the songs. this is particuarly apparent on Fade To Black, where the change of tempo changes the mood in the listener. Overall though the sound is pretty damn good and the production works for the album. It rocks like hell. // 8

Lyrics: James Hetfield started to show off his ability to write lyrics more clearly on ths album. The all the songs with lyrics have a seriousness about them which deserves praise. Out of all of them Fade To Black is by far the best lyrically, as it sows a toucing sympathy for those who do decide to commit suicide. sadly this is not matched as Fight Fire With Fire has terrible lyrics. James doesn't seem to have put much thought into them and has just written down the first lyrics that came to mind that associated themselves with the subject matter. Also Fight Fire With Fire is sung particually well either. James just sings with the riff rather than attempting to counter it. He does sing well on Ride The Lightning and For Whom The Bell tolls though, and adding extra strength to the songs. Overall his voice hasnt fully developed into the great instrument it would eventually be, but the lyrics makes up for this and give the album extra credit. // 9

Overall Impression: Against the other Metallica albums I own, I would have to say this is joint second along with the black album. It is bettered by Master Of Puppets, but is still better than ...And Justice For All, which in my opinion was a great oppourtunity wasted. I would rank each of the songs as follows: 01. Fight Fire With Fire - musically great fast paced opener let down by poor lyrics and vocals. 02. Ride The Lightning - stunning track showcasing the entire band's talents. 03. For Whom The Bell Tolls - brilliant slow burner which fetures some of Kirks best guitr work. 04. Fade To Black - stunning and beautiful track which shows metallicas maturity in both music and words. 05. Trapped Under Ice - under-rated thrash song which has a killer riff. 06. Escape - more of a rock song than a metal song seeing as its not as heavy as other parts of the album. Still fairly good though. 07. Creeping Death - awesome song which was deservedly the single for the album. Great riffs and brilliant solo. 8. The Call Of Ktulu - great instrumental with great riffs and solos provided by everyone. It may be dragged out slightly too long though. still great nevertheless. This album is absolutely brillinat in places and features great guitar work. I love the more deepness of the lyrics and the fast paced guitar work. however james vocals still needed a bit of ironing out but thankfully that was all worked on by Master Of Puupets. overall this is essential. // 9

Ride The Lightning Reviewed by: angelcommand, on december 26, 2005

Sound: The sound on this album is original, breathtaking but most of all, great! The style is cool and, back then, revolutionary (one that is now lost and forgotten). Obviously now, this isn't new, but the Metallica band has expressed all its greatness in this album. Metal and heavy rock has dominated most of the albums songs. Its enough to wanna make you rock to the music. // 10

Lyrics: James Hetfield was, back when this album was concieved, a great rock/metal singer. His voice was a perfect partner to the heaving sound of the guitars. The Lyrics to the songs are genuine and mostly talk about feelings and general stuff about the real world. // 9

Overall Impression: The Ride The Lightning album is great. Compared to other albums on Metallica and other bands: this album may stike the best interest in most people. Others however, may find the album too old skool. The best and most greatest songs on this album are only realised after a well listened session with each song (you can't tell a song from its begining). I love this dam album. Metallicas style at this time was extremely cool, and which I very much love. What really bugs me is that Metallica has changed radically and we'll probably never hear this style again. However, Metallica has made later albums that stil rock e.g. Master Of Puppets, Black Album etc. If this album were stolen, I would actully be happy 'cause the people who stole it don't have money to buy shit and they would listen to the greatness. Other than that ill bash the guy for breaking into ma house! // 10

Ride The Lightning Reviewed by: superguitarist1, on april 14, 2006

Sound: The sound, as always, is awesomely heavy. I absolutely love heavy. The styles are mostly just stuff like power chords, solo's at the top of the neck with amazing effects (especially in 'Trapped Under Ice'), and pretty cool riffs. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are a little dark but not too bad. 'Ride The Lightning' is about a man who's sentenced to death, and 'Fade To Black' is kind of depressing, but other than that it's all just political. If you've ever heard James Hetfield's voice, you know he's an unimmitatable voice. There's just nothing to it. And the lyrics fit perfectly with the riffs and the drum beat. // 10

Overall Impression: Metallica never comnpares to any other artist. You can go searching throughout the world and never find a heavy metal band that even comes close to their skill level. My personal favorite songs from this album include; Fight Fire With Fire, Ride the Lightning, For Whom The Bell Tolls, Fade To Black, Trapped Under Ice, Creeping Death, and Call Of The Ktulu is an amazing guitar part, but it gets a little boring after a while. I love everything, and hate nothing about it. I would buy a hundred copies of it if it were stolen or lost. // 10

Ride The Lightning Reviewed by: Guitarplaya27, on may 02, 2006

Sound: The sound was thrashier then any other cd. There was a lot more soul and heart put into this CD. This was a great CD; the riffs were fast and quick to the point. 01. Fight Fire With Fire - the riff is fast as any other song I have heard besides master of puppets, the only thing is this sounded a lot more thrash then metallica. There was a ton of palm muting with power chords that made it great. 02. Ride The Lightning - slower but it fits with the lyrics, the beginning harmony really kicks into riff. 03. For Whom The Bell Tolls - the intro was the best part! I love Cliff's solo! The rest of the song was ok; the solo was kind of weak. 04. Fade To Black - what can I say, the best metallica ever written. The intro is the most melodic part, the whole song is melodic. There was no crazy solo, it all flows together beautifully. 05. Trapped Under Ice - another fast song, sounds like fight fire with fire except slower with less palm muting. The solo was fast! 06. Escape - if you want a song with some harmonies, here is a song to try, it sounds like Ride The Lightning except faster. The chorus is beautiful. 07. Creeping Death - the intro may sound weird, but the main riff and the chorus riff are great!!! Fast hard palm muting and hammer ons, great solo! 08. The Call Of The Ktulu - another great song with great harmonies. This is an instrumental with some sick ass bass sounds. The solos are pretty cool. // 10

Lyrics: James has one of the best voices in the world. He can make a baby stop crying. The lyrics he writes are some kick ass lyrics. // 10

Overall Impression: This cannot be compared to any other album because there was a ton of soul and heart. This album had the best thrash tone from metallica, the one thing I think hey could have done better was add more acoustic parts, if they had some more stuff like Fade to Black, this album would be number one. I once lost this album once and went to buy it again, so definitely buy it! // 10

Ride The Lightning Reviewed by: METSOAD, on may 05, 2006

Sound: This album was produced by Metallica and only Metallica. The sound is exactly how the East Bay thrash Metal Giants wanted it o be, racous, yet professional, loud yet refined and thrashy yet fully auidble. This is better produced than the over produced later efforts such as the Black Album and underproduced "St. Anger" and "...And Justice For All." James Hetfield and Kirk Hammet are the dynamic guitar duo with riffs, solos and just simply heavy metal guitaring. The Cliff Burton and Lars Ulrich are the dynamic rhythm duo and there has never been one bar Steve Hariis and Nicko McBrain of Iron Maiden and Rex Brown and Vinnie Paul of Pantera. For 1984 the techinal ability on display is stunning. // 10

Lyrics: James Hetfeild was prefecting his art of lyrics at this point so it is not the perfection of "Master Of Puppets" but it is damm near close. "Fade To Black" is one of the best is not the best peice of lyric on the topic od suicide ever written. "Creeping Death" gave me a history lesson about aincient Egypt and "Ride The Lightning"is a simplistic+brilliant take on the death penalty. There is elemets of the "Master Of Puppets" growl and the "Kill 'Em All" yell in all of James's singing. // 10

Overall Impression: 01. Fight Fire With Fire - is the blistering opening track, one painfully fast riff and a blistering guitar solo. 02. Ride The Lightening - is a vicious song that in one go personifies all of Metallica's music. Guitar solos that make even relatively good players look like ametuers and riffs that blow the mind. 03. For Whom The Bells Tolls - is the epic metal stomper with the iconic Bass solo (the reason I started playing the bass) plus some truly unforgetable riffs. 04. Fade To Black - is the first Ballad, beautiful acoustic guitar work, a legendary guitar solo and the highlight is those truly magical lyrics that cemment James Hetfield as one of the great song writers of his generation. 05. Trapped Under Ice - is truly bonkers with 3 shred solos, riffage that defies the laws of physics and even more insane drumming by Lars Ulrich, who I mantian is the worlds best drummer. 06. Escape - has some cool drumming in the begginning and a couple of huge riffs and one of Kirk's best solos. 07. Creeping Death - is the staple thrash metal song: Catchy but genius lyrics, an epic guitar solo, one of the best riffs ever (the main verse riff) and a nice breakdown. 08. The Call Of Ktulu - is the first instrumental with all band memebers. It is bare fist, white knuckle ride of bass fills, huge riffs and nice arpegieos ant the beginning anf end. The Call of Ktulu is a nice ending, and minus the lyrics (which there are none of) it is a reflection of what has just graced and destryoed your ear drums, this was released in the same year a Iron Maiden's reputation securing record "Powerslave" and it is just as good if not better than the british Metal giants offering. Metallica would then go on to relase the greatest Metal album ever "Master Of Puppets", this would be in my top 10 along with classics like "Number Of The Beast", "Holy Diver" by Dio and "Paranoid" by Black Sabbath and "Vulgar Display Of Power" by Pantera. All hail Ride The Lightning. // 10

Ride The Lightning Reviewed by: Metallicat54, on june 17, 2006

Sound: The album begins with a calm acoustic guitar and then explodes into the fastest guitar playing I've ever heard and this keeps on going through the whole album. This is probably the hardest Metallica album ever behind MOP. // 10

Lyrics: James Hetfield is the greatest singer in metal/hard rock and he definetly shows it on this album. In one song he sings in a deeper voice and in another he sings in a very high pitch one. He also writes the best lyrics, the lyrics in the album a very heavy and deal with death, war, and the ever popular Fade To Black that deals with suicide. I heard that people blame Fade To Black for helping them not committ suicide so that gives you an idea of how good the lyrics are. // 10

Overall Impression: Every single song on the album makes you want to get up and start headbanging. This is definetly one of the hardest albums ever and one of my favorites. I wouldn't trade it for anything. // 10

Ride The Lightning Reviewed by: Shreddin 4 Life, on july 13, 2006

Sound: In my opinion, Metallica's second release is even more amazing than their debut: "Kill 'Em All". One reason for that, is the fact that it's significantly heavier in terms of guitar tones, but at the same time, the majority of the songs are softer & slower-paced (like "Fade To Black"). The songs have a much darker feel and the soloing reaches new heights in this one. "Ride The Lighning" proved to be a new edge that Metallica turned out that seemed a bit of a shock to fans of Kill 'Em All. One track that will always stand out for instance, is the epic-sounding "The Call Of Ktulu", which is a 9-minute instrumental piece that is very well composed and has a lot of variation. However, it was almost like a segue that allowed for them to release their follow-up album "Master Of Puppets", which at the time proved to be their heaviest album to date. // 9

Lyrics: James pulls off some better-sounding vocals than "Kill 'Em All" (although "Kill 'Em All" didn't really have excellent vocal performances in the first place). The songs have a more chilling feel when compared to "Kill "Em All" as well. The songs deal a lot more with death and lost hope (Fade To Black & Trapped Under Ice) and of course, the destruction of planet earth (Fight Fire With Fire). The music is as well-written as the lyrics, so this album proved to be very full sounding (especially with the epic, outro-instrumental "The Call Of Ktulu"). // 10

Overall Impression: This album is very classic and goes very well with rest of their first few albums (as in up until 1991's "Metallica"). However, when played in contrast to "Kill 'Em All", it's very obvious that on "Ride The Lightning", a lot of the thrash elements of Metallica's first impression were dropped, which is pretty much the only downfall of this album, as well as a bonus; proving Metallica is capable of playing with a metal sound & style that isn't confined to just thrash. My favourite tunes on this one are definitely "Creeping Death", "Fade To Black" (of course), the title track, and the grand instrumental finale to "Ride The Lightning": "The Call Of Ktulu". I was lucky to find a used copy of this album (in almost perfect condition) and paid only 2 bucks for it! So you can be sure that I wouldn't hesitate to replace this album if something happened to it (even if I had paid full price)! // 9

Ride The Lightning Reviewed by: bassmasta691, on july 15, 2006

Sound: This is the album right before Master Of Puppets. In this album you can tell they are starting to pull everything together. In a sense, they are starting to mature. Kirk Hammet is starting to become the guitar legend that we know him today as. Also, Cliff Burton's basslines are supreme. Probally the bassline in Call Of The Ktulu is the best he ever wrote. The drums are significantly better than the last album, and James Hetfield makes everything work with his excellent rhythm guitar work on Fade To Black. // 10

Lyrics: This is the ablum right before Master of Puppets, so James is getting better at writing lyrics. He is still not at his peak in lyric writing though. James Hetfield is a good singer in my opinion. Probally the best heavy metal singer. Hetfield's lyrics usually match the music good. // 9

Overall Impression: This album in my opinion is one of the best. It is the best album with Cliff Burton in it. If you want to hear Metallica in the making listen to this album. The most impressive song on this album is Fade To Black. It is perfect in every aspect. This album has been lost before, and I did buy another one. // 10

Ride The Lightning Reviewed by: cwbwakeboard9, on july 15, 2006

Sound: Metallica's second album, it beats their first album out by a mile. It seems to me, that Metallica starts to come alive in this album. Jamez is the one really to come out of the shell and get some good vocals down. This CD has great instrumentals as well. Overall probably their second or third best CD behind Master of Puppets and possibly Black Album. Still a great CD though. // 10

Lyrics: James vocal ability is shown in this album more than in their first album Kill 'Em All. 01. Fight Fire With Fire - a great intro to the song but the song sort of slides down a hill except for the rift after the classical intro. Vocals are a bit annoying as well. Good solo though. 02. Ride The Lightning - amazing song. Cool and almost scary-like intro that fits the song well. About a guy about to be killed in the electric chair. Very good vocals, the whole band really comes together for this one. Amazing solo as well. 03. For Whome The Bell Tolls - this song can definetely follow up the title track. Amazing Bass during the intro and drums thruout the whole song. Guitar is very well done and vocals are great too. 04. Fade To Black - Metallica's second best song I believe. The intro is their best though. Amazing combo of acoustic and electric. Song goes into a heavy metal riff then a sweet pre-solo then later on a mammoth of a solo. Who though a song about depression could be this uplifting? 05. Trapped Under Ice - this song unfortunately cannot follow the previous 3 songs. Although it has very nice soloing I just couldn't get all the way through it. 06. Escape - song was about the same as the other song. A good first riff then an ungood rhythm. Decent soloing but still not the best of tracks. 07. Creeping Death - good vocal song and cool main riff for the guitar, excellent drumming. Super cool chorus too. Who would have thought to sing about moses? Really fast soloing near the end too. 08. The Call Of Ktulu - amazing instrumental, guitars & drums really put out some cool sounds, some people say instrumentals are stupid but this one definetely isn't. // 10

Overall Impression: Metallica's Second or Third Best Album containing their second best song: Fade To Black on behind their best song Master Of Puppets. I would definetely attempt to gain this CD in some way or form. Vocals start to come alive in this CD. Kirk does a better job than last CD and Lars is lars and Cliff is Cliff. Great job by them. // 10

Ride The Lightning Reviewed by: Starkraven, on september 08, 2006

Sound: There's little I can say about Metallica that hasn't been chronicled a hundred times. Every album (except load and reload) felt like an album by a different band, whether it was due to their musical evolution or the changing production. Ride The Lightning came out at a point where the guys had just started to progress past the raw punk brutality of Kill 'Em All, but had not yet fully refined their art. The result? A complex, yet rugged piece of metal perfection. The mellow parts, while not quite as obvious as something like "Nothing Else Matters" are beautiful, and the heavy parts are as brilliant as ever. // 10

Lyrics: Typical for early Metallica (culminating in their semi-concept album "...And Justice For All") the themes of this album are helplessness, justice, evil higher powers and armageddon. While they were yet to reach the pinacle of their maturity, the sillyness that occasionally tarnished Kill Em All ("Phantom Lord" for one) is now gone, and it's no longer just the music that is heavy. // 10

Overall Impression: Quite simply, this is my favourite album by my favourite band. Nothing short of brilliant. The lasting power of the tracks is immediately obvious; Creeping Death and For Whom The Bell Tolls will be staples of their live shows until the end, and songs like Fade to Black and The Call Of Ktulu will always stand out as remarkable examples of their musical excellence. The title track is a brilliant, under-rated masterpiece, and contains my favourite guitar solo of all time, by any guitarist, ever. If anything happened to my copy of this album, I'd go out an buy another two. // 10

Ride The Lightning Reviewed by: IgorDz, on november 27, 2006

Sound: 01. Fight Fire With Fire - a great opening for the album. The minor acoustic chords sound eery and it would make yu never suspect that the monstrous heavy riff is coming. This is the biggest thrash song on here and the solo/harmonized parts are very melodic overall great song. 02. Ride The Lightning - my favorite song on teh album. The riffage is fast and straight to the point. All 4 instruments are played great and it's one of the most techinically difficult songs ever made. 03. For Whom The Bell Tolls - great song, not much to say, exzcept it rocked. 04. Fade To Black - this song flows beautifully the whole way through, from the first not to the last. The solos in this song are very well written. The one thing I don't like is that at the end, the solo is still going on but the song fades out. 05. Trapped Under Ice - heavy, fast, crazy. 06. Escape - every album has it's weakpoint. This song is still really good, but not like the others. What I did like especially was the slowed down breakdown when James sings "see them try to bring the hammer down". It's the only song I've ever heard that had that in it. 07. Creeping Death - the sound here is epic, especially with the harmoinzed parts. It's my 2nd favorite song on the album and I like how James and Kirk worked together on here to make all the arrangements flow. The solo is great, especially when Kirk plays the part that sounds like the lyrical flow of the song. This song just kicks ass! 08. The Call Of Ktulu - the instrumental! This song has so much to it, it's un beleivable how good it sounds. This song was written by Hetfield/Burton/Ulrich and Mustaine. The first time I heard it, I really couldn't tell if that was Mustaine or Hammett playing because their styles are very similar. It's heavy and melodic which works great overall. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics focus on Biblical Stories, war, the loss of personal things, drug addictions and personal thoughts. It's as metal as you could have guessed. James has a very strong voice. He does this thing where it's a mix of screaming and singing at the same time. It adds to the brutallity of the musicianship. The lyrics and vocals all go great with the instruments because they're heavy when they should be and they're calm and clean when they need to be. // 9

Overall Impression: I loved the sound, I listen to the album all the time myself. I think that Ride The Lightning is the best album so far just because the sound of it fits with what I prefer. The album has feeling and the heaviness factor is off the charts. I love how Cliff Burton (RIP) uses distortion on songs and clean on others. He plays the bass like a guitar and it shows in For Whom The Bell Tolls. Overall, this is a must-have for any true metal fan out there and I personally suggest that everyone checks it out. // 10

Ride The Lightning Reviewed by: Horvat, on january 11, 2007

Sound: Metallica's 'Ride The Lightning' showcases the band playing some of their finest works, just prior to their huge breakthrough into the mainstream. Being the album to follow 'Kill 'Em All', this CD is still packed with the early intensity and aggressiveness of their previous release, but with some marked changes in their overall sound. While their debut was simply in-your-face thrash, 'Ride The Lightning', while still heavy, shows a much more mature Metallica, one capable of displaying a melodic side here and there. Generally, the sound is a lot more epic on this album, more than was shown on 'Kill 'Em All' (though the latter is still a hands-down classic), and the production quality is too. Hammet plays some truly brilliant solos on this album (on tracks such as 'Fade To Black', 'Creeping Death', and 'Ride The Lightning'), and Hetfield's vocals are generally much more refined this time around. Bassist Cliff Burton once again features prominently on this CD, with some truly memorable bass lines (such as the riff in 'For Whom The Bell Tolls'), and drummer Lars Ulrich sounds tight with the rest of the band. Like the rest of their first four albums, Metallica definitely sound like a metal force to be reckoned with. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics on this album deal in a mix of both fantasy-like and real-world issues, mainly focusing on mankind's relationship with death. There is a strong lyrical sense that Hetfield wants to show how humans struggle to feel in control of their life, expressed greatly in the title track, and 'Fight Fire With Fire'. There are songs such as 'Creeping Death' which deal with mythical themes (thus the name of the final track, 'The Call of Ktulu'), but in essence, relate back to how mankind is plagued by it's fears. One such lyric extract that I think sums up the views expressed on the album is from the track 'For Whom The Bell Tolls': "Take a look to the sky just before you die, It is the last time you will, Blackened roar, massive roar fills the crumbling sky, Shattered goal fills his soul with a ruthless cry." Lyrically, this album displays some of Metallica's best, only to be matched, arguably, by '...And Justice For All'. Vocal-wise, Hetfield sounds impressive on this album, mixing both the high shrieks from their first release, with a refined 'aggressive yell'(which would soon become his trademark). He still sounds quite young here, which I personally think is good, but generally fans like his slightly deeper, more matured voice on albums to follow, like 'Master of Puppets'. Yes, he may not have been vocally trained like greats such as Bruce Dickinson or Rob Halford, but his voice flawlessly suits Metallica's style, and still does to this day. Overall, both lyrics and vocals are good on this CD. Maybe sub-par here and there, but still quite enjoyable. // 8

Overall Impression: Overall, 'Ride The Lightning' is Metallica's statement to the world that they wouldn't simply be restricted to the thrash label, that they were capable of making metal that crossed different genre barriers (whilst still retaining their core heavy elements). Metallica sound at their most youthful and innovative, slowly working their way towards their prime. If you haven't listened to this CD, I suggest you do, as it contains some epic classics, in fact every song is truly memorable. Usually people tend to skip 'Escape' and 'Trapped Under Ice', regarding them as the only fillers on such a landmark album. In my opinion though, these songs are quite underrated, and are still on par with the rest. There's a nice instrumental, 'The Call Of Ktulu', and Metallica's first ever ballad-esque song, 'Fade To Black', to listen out for. Also, the monster guitar solo (written by Dave Mustaine of Megadeth) in the title track, 'Ride The Lightning', will truly kick your ass, as will the all-out speed of 'Fight Fire With Fire'. A top thrash album that, whether you like Metallica now or not, should be in any metal collection. // 9

Ride The Lightning Reviewed by: Uber-rocker, on march 23, 2007

Sound: Ride The Lightning pretty much bridged the gap between the early, formative years of Metallica (Kill 'Em All) and the more complete Metallica that we know today (Master Of Puppets onwards). It still had more than a slight element of thrash metal that was prevalent in Kill 'Em All, and this is evident from the first song 'Fight Fire With Fire'. After the acoustic introduction, very heavy, dirty, distorted guitars come in and blow the bottom out of your speakers. Fantastic stuff. The thrash trend continues with the title track 'Ride The Lightning', and then the pace slows down a bit for 'For Whom The Bell Tolls'. After this song comes 'Fade To Black', a song which at first listen probably shouldn't have anything to do with early Metallica, but shows James Hetfield's increasing maturity as a songwriter. More of that in the lyrics section. This album is heavy to the last song, 'The Call of Ktulu', which is a complex, near nine minute orchestral-like instrumental tune. Overall, sound-wise, this album will rock your jocks off. // 9

Lyrics: As I said before, the lyrics in this album show an increasing level of maturity in lead singer James Hetfield's writing ability, with songs such as 'Fade To Black', 'Creeping Death', and 'Ride The Lightning' being highlights. The main themes of the album are of death, struggling and suffering, to name a few. 'Fade To Black' is essentially written as a suicide note, but not in such a dirty way as other such notes are written. 'Ride The Lightning' tells a story of a man on death row about to be executed for something he didn't do (sounds vaguely Prison Break-ish). 'Creeping Death' tells of plagues and struggling in Egypt, in biblical times (you'll have to excuse me for not being more descriptive or for being incorrect here, I'm not overly familiar with the Bible or Egypt, for that matter). These themes repeat themselves throughout the album, making for perhaps a darker album than would be expected, but ultimately laying the path for Master Of Puppets to come along. // 9

Overall Impression: This album is by far my favourite Metallica album, not just lyrically, but musically as well, it just straight out kicks ass. Not trying to get too biased, and trying to remain objective though, personally this album lacks, but only in a little way, that kick in the nether regions that Kill 'Em All delivered. I'm not sure if it's my speakers or just my hearing (shouldn't be), but I can't really hear the bass all that well. I'd love to be able to hear it more clearly (this is coming from a bass player here). For me, the most impressive song on the album would have to be 'Fade To Black'. This choice might sound a bit sheep-like, as a lot of people I know love this song as well, but it's such a beautifully written song and is just a great song to turn up loud, no matter what mood you're in. If my copy of Ride The Lightning got stolen, hell yes, I'd use my black belt Tae-Kwon Do skills on whichever S.O.B. took it, kick his ass, and eat it afterwards while I pump this album through my stereo. // 9

Ride The Lightning Reviewed by: iljh, on march 28, 2007

Sound: Ride the Lightning was Metallica's second album. When people compared it to the debut (Kill Em' All) they noticed two things. Metallica have matured in songwriting, and it sounds better. This album is probably one of the best sounding (if not the best) Metallica albums ever made. Even with all the thrash riffs and hard core soloing, this album is very clean. The majority of the album is distortion, but there is Fade To Black, a great ballad, and an instrumenatal piece that move slower before picking up the pace. I love the whole album's sound. It's fantastic (especially for a second album at thier age). // 10

Lyrics: Out of all the albums, (about 11) this is either the second best lyrics-wise. James Hetfield (singer/rythym guitarist) writes the words very well in different styles. One song (Ride the Lightning) is a narrative told through the eyes of a man waiting to die in an electric chair. It makes you think and fits perfectly. Another song (Creeping Death) tells a biblical story of Moses, the Hebrew plagues, and the Angel of Death. Out of the eight songs, there is one instrumental song, and the album's ballad (Fade To Black) has some of the greatest lyrics Metallica has ever recorded. // 10

Overall Impression: This is one of my favorite albums, period! I love Metallica and this was FAR better than I could have expected for thier yound second album. The best songs (which I like them all) would be the Title Track, For Whom The Bell Tolls, Fade To Black, and Creeping Death, but this is an album I always enjoy listening to all the way from start to finish. Do whatever you can to get this album in your collection if you are a fan of rock, metal, thrash, Metallica, or just good music. I give Metallica's "Ride The Lightning" a perfect score. // 10

Ride The Lightning Reviewed by: Mental-lica, on october 18, 2007

Sound: This is probably the second best Metallica album you can get (behind ...And Justice For All) but if your looking for some pure thrash, this is the one. Of course Metallica is a metal band and they portray just how dangerous they are in this sequal to their first album Kill 'Em All with Ride the Lightning. Like Kill 'Em All, Metallica has some material written by Dave Mustaine, former lead guitarist for Metallica (now in Megadeth) and it's just as thrashy as their first if not better. This is the track listings: 01. Fight Fire With Fire - the first time I heard this I was taken by suprise by the amount of power in this song. With James and Kirks blaring guitars and Lars double bass peddle I immediatly loved this song. Equiped with a double guitar solo and some amazing footwork by Lars, Fight Fire with Fire is an awesome song. You wont be dissapointed. 02. Ride The Lightning - ironically, this is probably the worst song on the album. Partly written by Dave Mustaine, Ride the Lightning is a fast song with a standard metal riff and a extremely boring solo. I'd defenitly skip over this one. 03. For Whom The Bell Tolls - another metal masterpiece a awesome riff and some great vocals. Love the bassline in it as well. This was the first song for my band to practice together and it's pretty easy to learn. 04. Fade To Black - this is one song that I can agree with Metallica fanboys and say: yes this song is one of their bests. With 5 amazing riffs and two guitar solos, Fade to Black is tied for the best songs on the album, perhaps even the best Metallica song ever. Impressive. 05. Trapped Under Ice - boring. Boring solo. Boring drums. God boring bass. And most of all, the most retarted thing to write a song about: being trapped under ice! You'll like it the first few times then you'll find it boring like me. 06. Escape - I haven't listened to this song that much, but I love the beginning riff to it and it's really a good song. James goes really low in it and has a little bit of a growl effect. 07. Creeping Death - tied for best song on the album. This song has an amazing guitar solo, great vocals, and probably one of my favorite riff of all time in it. What an awesome song. 08. Call Of Ktulu - great instrumental, the best one written by Metallica and also co-writed by Dave Mustaine. This album has some great bass in it and some truely mystical riffs. can't get enough of it. // 9

Lyrics: Great singing skills by James. So matches the music easily. Real thrashy and intense. Probably his best singing skills on any Metallica album, followed closely by And Justice For All. // 8

Overall Impression: This is the second best album by Metallica and is definetly worth a buy. The best songs from the album are Fight Fire with Fire, For Whom the Bell Tolls, Fade to Black, Creeping Death, The Call of Ktulu. I love it because it's a masterpiece and one of Metallicas best album. I don't like it kind of because it doesnt't have the lyricists skill that James had on And Justice For All. Great album though. Get it. // 9

Ride The Lightning Reviewed by: Nathan_393, on december 13, 2007

Sound: Metallica's first four releases are all incredible, and you can't really go wrong with any of them. That being said, Ride The Lightning is my favorite of the four, and probably my favorite album of all time. The record itself is fantastic, the sound was something entirely new and entirely original. It was ground-breaking and earth-shattering, and aside from Metallica's own Master of Puppets and Ozzy Osbourne's Blizzard of Ozz (with Randy Rhoads, of course), nothing can stand up to Ride The Lightning in terms of pure technicality on the guitar. For a metalhead, this guitar is the definition of everything that is "holy" (or rather anti-holy). The guitar work is fantastic. Hetfield's voice is perhaps in it's best condition. My one problem with this whole album is an instrumental track, Call of Ktulu, that features solos from Hammet that are written entirely in the wrong key. -1 for that. Other than that mistake, I can't find anything else wrong with the CD. Interestingly enough, "Escape" was supposed to be the single off the CD and was designed to be a big hit. In the end, that hit ended up being "Fade To Black". // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics are that of typical metal. Meaning that Hetfield sings about depression, being set on fire, freezing to death, and Biblical doom (the story of the first-born dying because the Pharaoh didn't let Moses' people go appears in "Creeping Death"). Most of the time typical metal lyrics irk me because they're always about the same song. But these lyrics are diverse enough to satisfy, and they suit the style of the music. Hetfield's voice is stellar on this album. It has never been and never will be better. If only he stopped drinking at this point, then maybe his voice wouldn't have gone to crap. // 10

Overall Impression: Despite the fact that the guitars aren't perfect and the lyrics aren't amazing, the whole package makes it the best CD in my (very extensive) collection and my all-time favorite. I love everything about it (except for the bad solos in Call of Ktulu). The best songs are "For Whom The Bell Tolls", "Fade To Black", "Creeping Death", and the title track. Buy the other songs just to say you've heard them. To not own this CD would be an injustice for anybody who claims himself to be a true metalhead, and it is the epitome of what a thrash/progressive CD should look like. // 10

Ride The Lightning Reviewed by: Busproof, on december 22, 2008

Sound: Ride the Lightning, the second album from thrash quartet Metallica, is a continuation of not only the Kill Em All metal formula, but an improvement on it predecessor in just about every aspect. Known for their metalic metal approach, Metallica makes a note worthy comeback in their second album. There's plenty of rapid low E 'chugga chugga' as well as some decent arpeggio and high neck solo work. Bound to appease classic thrash fans... // 9

Lyrics: Lyrically, this is simply metal. The album doesn't follow a specific lyrical theme, nor seems to bind itself to a general sense of emotion, save for plenty of darkness to accompany the heavy riff work. Vocally, Hetfield takes a bigger step away from the reverb-washed sound of Kill Em All, making improvements over the aforementioned album. However, compared to later releases, his voice is still kind of in that developement stage, which is to be expected considering this is only their second album. Still, nothing in particular stands out here, nor does anything put a knife to the throat of the album. In general, it's a good contribution. // 8

Overall Impression: Compared to arch enemy Megadeth's second release, Peace Sell But Who's Buying?, I tend to shy more towards Megadeth's release. Don't get me wrong, Ride the Lightning has its merits, but compared to the darker lyrical matter, as well and alternating guitar solo work, of Megadeth's album, this album lacks a bit. None the less, its still a very powerful and overall great thrash metal masterpiece. The intro track really draws the listener in with the clean channel solo work, then blasts you with a sonic wave of pure thrash intensity with which to ride through the entire album. The title track is also worth mention, the intro makes me want to bang my head instantly, and you can't hate on the lyrical work, which, while standard to metal, is pretty impressive in a poetic sense. I don't really have any specific dislikes for the album, save for the vocal work. Don't get me wrong, I love Hetfield, but I'm spoiled by the vocal work on later releases. It doesn't make it a bad album though. Would I suggest it to others? Definately. Its definately in my top 5 of thrash albums, and I nominate it a staple in any thrash fans discography. // 9

Ride The Lightning Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 19, 2009

Sound: Overall, the sound on this album is arguably the best, most rounded-out in all of their albums. The guitars are scorching hot, the drums will pound your face in, and the bass is just plain kick-ass. It's not quite as fast and thrashy as Kill 'Em All, but it's still ferocious, and every single member does a brilliant job. Kirk has some of his best solos right here, as evidenced by "Fade To Black" and "Creeping Death". James really takes the rhythm king title here, with the vicious riffs on "Fight Fire With Fire" and "Trapped Under Ice". Lars really shows how amazing he is in this album, going from balls-to-wall, all-out thrash on "Fight Fire With Fire" to amazing self-restraint on "For Whom The Bell Tolls". Cliff Burton (R.I.P.) does an absolutely amazing job, here. His intro on "For Whom The Bell Tolls" is brilliant, and he sounds simply stunning on "The Call Of Ktulu". // 10

Lyrics: While I personally prefer the lyrics on Kill 'Em All, (I thought the overt talk about the heavy metal life and lore was pretty entertaining) the ones on this album are very good. James sounds great, and very youthful. He sounds angry, but quite like in... And Justice For All, which was kind of over the top. The lyrics all flow with the music, and go well with the tones of the songs. The only one that comes close to a complaint is on "Escape". I don't think the vocals hitting the exact same notes as the guitar sound the best, but it's the only time I've heard this style in Metallica history. // 10

Overall Impression: I believe that this album is Metallica's best album. The riffs on these songs are classic, and it's not brought down by some theme that goes into every song, like... And Justice For All and Master Of Puppets. Two of my favorite 'Tallica songs are on here ("For Whom The Bell Tolls" and "Fade To Black"), and there isn't a single one that sounds is anything less than amazing. One thing is has, in my opinion at least, are many of the best versions of the "layout" of this, Master, Justice, and Death Magnetic. "Fight Fire With Fire" is fastest, "Fade To Black" is the best ballad, if not the best song they've ever written, and the best instrumental in "The Call Of Ktulu". Overall, this is a must buy, and anyone who says that they like thrash, or even just plain metal, must own it. // 10

Ride The Lightning Reviewed by: zope, on june 09, 2009

Sound: This record is Metallica's second album, and definitely shows an improvement from First album Kill 'Em All. Kill 'Em All is an awesome album, and it's best thing is its raw sound and compositions. On the other side, Ride The Lightning shows a more elaborated music, from sound, singing and the compositions themselves. Cliff Burton improves his bass playing in this record. Even though there is no instrumental bass solo, he plays very strongly throughout the album and plays some solos. Kirk Hammett develops some of his best solos in this record. Hiss solos are more elaborated than in Kill Em All, not as fast as in Kill Em All but he does a very good job. James Hetfield has a better voice due to him not shouting as hard as in Kill 'Em All and trying to sing a little lower. He develops some amazing riffs and very nice harmonies in the whole record. Lars Ulrich also brings a new way of playing. He plays better fills, and he does more complex things in the right places. 01.Fight Fire With Fire: the song starts with an acoustic intro, setting a trend for the intros in subsequent albums. The intro is a series of arpeggios in acoustics. As soon as the intro ends all hell breaks loose with a kick ass riff. There is another riff very heavy before James starts the singing. Then James starts singing about armaggedon with a very deep voice. The Chorus riff is also a very amazing one. The song goes again with the verse and the chorus before giving way to the solo. The solo is a very fast very suited with the song. Then there is a very heavy harmony. Then it returns to the verse and chorus to end with fight fire with fire singing. The song ends with some lighning strokes. 02.Ride The Lighning: the lightinig strokes from Fight Fire With Fire move on To a very smashing intro with a nice harmonie. Then the main riff gives in. This is a slow song based on this lone riff even though it does change. Here, james sings a little bit more shouted. The song goes about being set to suffer the capital punishment in an electric chair. The song has a very nice interlude before the solo. The guitar solo in this song is one Kirks best. The goes with another verse and another chorus giving way to a very well suited outro. 03.For Whom The Bell Tolls: the song starts with some bell toll giving way to a smashing intro with a bass solo. This is one of Metallica's trademarks in concert due to it's power. The song itself is very simple, but the riffs are very nice chord progressions. One of the best songs by metallica to start off playing in your guitar as a begginer. The harmonies in the middle of the song is very cool too. This song also is a trademark from Cliffs virtuoso playing. Lars develops some nice playing also. The song ends off with some smashings and the solo in the song which is basically Kirk fooling around with his wah and the trmolo in his guitar. The lyrics in the song are about dying in battle field. 04.Fade To Black: Fade to Black is the best song on the record. It could be my favorite metallica song if One wouldn't exist but the songs are very similar. The song is a staple and it is a song that gave way for many ballads from metal bands. The song starts with several arpeggios and give way to this beautiful solo. Then the song continues with some more arpeggiated parts. James sings the verses about suicide (it is said that this song has helped a lot of people to avoide suicide). The song has no chorus just a riff played and there is a great solo in between verses. Then The song turns into heavy, there a some variations of the riff played before giving way to (for me) kirks second best solo. The song fades out. 05.Trapped Under Ice: this is a very good song, the riffs are very complex it has very good solos and very good lyrics. It is heavy and very thrashy. Anyway the song is not very likeable I don't know why. 06.Escape: this is another not very likeable song evethough it is great. The song starts with very good riff harmonicaly arranged. Then there is the main riff. THe song is about escaping the prototypes that society tries to set for one. The song has a very good interlude and a nice solo. It ends up with the frase "Life's for my own to live my own way", and some sirens repeating over and over again. 07.Creeping Death: this is another trademark in metallica's concert because of it's power. It is a fast very Egiptian song that talks about the plagues in Egypt in Moses time. The riffs are very good perfect for a good headbang. The solo is very nice also, very well suited and has a wide range of playing styles. After the solo there is an amazing part where the band sings die repeatedly, this part is what makes the song a trademark on metallica's concerts. The song ends up with a very nice harmony and a very egyptian like lead. 08.The Call Of Ktulu: this is the last song on the record. I don't know why they dicided to end here instead of putting a faster song to close the record. The instrumental it self is very nice. It is a piece of art as a composition. The riffs are great, powerful and the song is full of energy. It is very dissonant which gives a very dark mood. Cliff plays a solo the entire song, it is heard throughout how he plays behind the guitars. The song's original name was When Hell Freezes Over, which to me is a better name. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics in the record are very very good. James sings about Death from songs 1 through 5, and 7. All well suited with the music. Escape sings about being released from authoritarism in the way of living your life for your own. James voice improves from Kill 'em All but his voice is still not at levels he would later reach. // 8

Overall Impression: The record itself is one metallica's best and a classic metal album. It should be owned by every metal fan. it is a thrash trademark and a very important point in the history of metallica. Many of Metallica's best songs are in this album. The songs from better to less better to me are, Fade To Black, For Whom The Bell Tolls, Creeping Death, Ride The Lightning, The Call Of Ktulu, Trapped Under Ice, Fight Fire With Fire and Escape. // 9

Ride The Lightning Reviewed by: fadetoblack84, on august 11, 2009

Sound: Although Kill 'Em All was a very good album that possessed more rawness than anything, Ride the Lightning was a large step up from Kill 'Em All. The way that this album was put together was astounding, the order of the tracks is perfect, and the music sounded more planned and clean. Kirk's style of playing scales more compared Mustaine's use of pentatonics was a nice change from Kill 'Em All. Altogether a great album with a much needed and better sound than Kill 'Em All. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics for the songs on this album were much more broad than on Kill 'Em All, in which the lyrics were focused more on the band itself than anything. 01.Fight Fire With Fire: nuclear warfare is destined to end life by higher power. Really cool intro followed by the heaviest thrash on the album. 10/10 02.Ride The Lightning: a man is sentenced to death by the electric chair. Very amazing song, is in top 4 songs on the album 11/10 03.For Whom the Bell Tolls: soldiers in war. good song. cool bass intro 9/10 04.Fade To Black: a man contemplating and eventually committing suicide. Best song on the album in my opinion, the acoustic side meshes with the heavy side perfect, and the solo is one of the best for Metallica. 12/10 05.Trapped Under Ice: a man is trapped under ice, drowning and freezing. good song, short, sweet, to the point. 9/10 06.Escape: trying to escape life by dieing. My least favorite song on the album, but the opening riff is musically great 7/10 07.Creeping Death: this song is very very good. It's about the 10 plagues of Egypt, but the name of the song is about the Plae of the firstborn. Check out the Bible, the Book of Exodus for more info. 2nd best song on the album, very great solo 11.5/10 08.The Call of Ktulu: the first instrumental song written by Metallica. Probably the 2nd best instrumental they've written behind Orion, the bass Cliff Burton plays bass in this song is clearly a sign of his improvement from the first album. long song, but worth listening too. 11/10 // 10

Overall Impression: Ride the Lightning is right up there with Master of Puppets with regards to the music and the songs, but I think it doesnt't quite match up to Master. It's definately in the top 2 Metallica albums. Fade to Black continues to amaze me after years of listening to it, as do most songs on this album. They are hard to learn to play, but very easy to love. Escape was the low point by far, I dislike that song, it seemed like it was put there due to a lack of ideas, but the all the other songs were quality songs, and that easily made up for it. If I lost this album, I'd cry, then go buy a few copies so I wouldn't lose it again. Amazing album. A must have for a true metal fan. // 10

Ride The Lightning Reviewed by: AcEL7, on december 07, 2009

Sound: Metallica can be both a heavy band and an acoustic band. "Ride The Lightning", to me, is a very fast paced album and heavy yet features acoustic guitars such as in "Fade To Black", the first ballad by Metallica. "Ride The Lightning" is considered by many to be a classic thrash album and a vital bridge between "Kill 'Em All" and "Master Of Puppets". It remains fast paced on tracks such as "Trapped Under Ice" and "Fight Fire With Fire". Metallica included acoustic guitars into the album creating a hybrid blend of classic thrash and natural sounding acoustic guitars. This is quite possibly my all time favorite thrash album by Metallica. // 9

Lyrics: The first song I ever heard by Metallica was "Welcome Home (Sanitarium)" off "Master Of Puppets". That was my all time favorite until I heard "Fade To Black". The lyrics in "Fade To Black" really bring out the depressing side in a person and can really help with problems. "Fade To Black" is about suicide and not wanting to live anymore, it's both depressing and heavy. The lyrics on this album are mainly about death. "Creeping Death" is a slower song on the album that is about the plagues of Egypt. The song has remained a staple in Metallica's arsenal, being played over 1,000 times, it has become an instant classic and a fan participation during live performances. The ominous "DIE" chants in the middle section along with the phrygian-mode chord progression has made this a Metallica classic. Jame's overall singing skills on this album really caught me by surprise. His vocals are more sophisticated than those on "Kill 'Em All". His vocals went from little girl screams to a deeper tone which really brought out the thrash in him. // 8

Overall Impression: "Ride The Lightning" in my mind, does not compare to any other album by any band. It is one of Metallica's best albums and will always remain that way in my mind. The most impressive song on the album would have to be "Fade To Black". It really catches people and makes them wonder if it's really Metallica. I love everything about this album and there's nothing to hate about the album except that it ends eventually. If I lost this album or had it stolen... I would definitely buy it again, this is an instant classic in thrash history. // 8

Ride The Lightning Reviewed by: SGofawesome, on january 28, 2010

Sound: Like they all say, early Metallica is the best Metallica, and here, it shows. The production is awesome, fits well with their thrashy side. the second album by Metallica, and they're belting it out right away. The guitar is amazing, better than any other Metallica. The bass is Cliff Burton, so it has to be awesome. And it's audible, that's towards you ...And Justice For All haters. Best solos out of any other album, like in fight Fire with Fire, Fade To Black, and of course, Ride The Lightning. // 9

Lyrics: Lyrics are just as amazing, if not better, than other Metallica albums. They really get into depth, especially in the song Creeping Death. It talks about a bible story in Hebrews, specifically about Moses taking the pharoah's prisoners and crossing the red sea. Ride The Lightning is also a lyrical masterpiece, about a prisoner about to be executed in the electric chair. "Wait for the sign, to flick the switch of Death, it's the beginning of the end. Sweat chilling cold, as I watch death unfold, consciousness my only friend." is one of the verses in Ride the Lightning. Fade to Black, to clear up the confusion, is about James' favorite amp blowing out. His first and best amp died, and he wrote the best song on the whole album about it. No, it's not about suicide. James' voice is still in development, you'll see big improvement in Master Of Puppets. Although it still fits the thrash genre well. The fast paced guitar in Fight fire With Fire, to the slow pounding drums of For Whom The Bell Tolls, james' vocal talents give the right angry bite, which is just what it needs. // 9

Overall Impression: Here's a breakdown of the songs for you... 01. Fight Fire With Fire: the acoustic intro, so sweet and lush, quite peppy, wait...This isn't metallica! And then, it blasts pure speed into your eardrums unexpectedly. A speed riff takes you through fire and out, Vocals are extremely thrashy and ominous, and then the solo hits. Your head will blow up when you get done with this song. 8.5/10 02. Ride The Lightning: comes through the explosion of Fight Fire With Fire with an incredible groove metal riff out of the blue. Vocals and Lyrics are top-notch here, complimented well with Cliff's backups. Then the solo starts with an amazing tap at high-speed, then a catchy rapid picked solo. The end, right? Nope, more soloing, even better than the last. Best solo of the whole album. 10/10 03. For Whom The Bell Tolls: time to take it down a notch or two. Bells ring through your ears, then the big tom beat blasts through. Amazing bass work by cliff burton here. The guitar is really cool, but nothing special. The "solo", even if you wanna call it that, is very brought out and untalented, but goes well with the rest of the song. vocals are sweet here, but the lyrics are pretty simple. Nice drums by ulrich, even though they're extremely simple. 9/10 04. Fade To Black: the best track on the album is here, even when you thought it couldn't get any better than the first three. This starts out with the best acoustics Thrash has ever seen. No doubt about it. you're thinking, "My friend said this was all Metallica, why did he burn this on here?" then you here then classic lyrics and then the heavy chorus. I like how there aren't any lyrics during the chorus, because this is a very moody song, the soft vocals wouldn't have complimented the heavy guitar very well. Another verse of acoustics, then a heavy chorus, then a sweet breakdown afterwards. This is just purely amazing, the vocals are sweet here, then james is done for the rest of the 2 minutes you have to listen to. The guitar just gets more epic by the second, and the second best solo on the album breaks through. It fades out with the solo flailing everywhere, then the double kick breaks through. Purely amazing song. 10/10 05. Trapped Under Ice: made to be a thrash song, and succeeded, but failed at making it very successful. A good song, just extremely simple lyrics, not very good solos, just fast. Still better than Kerry King though, haha. 8/10 06. Creeping Death: the only single to come off this album, I believe. Amazing thrash anthem, 2nd best lyrics, behind Fade To Black, has a Metallica classic riff in here, there's no denying any metalhead will love this song. This song has the best guitar, behind Ride The Lightning barely. Love solos? Who doesn't? This solo is pretty good, a lot of speed to it, but not very complex. 9.5/10 07. Escape: this song is the worst on the album, but you can't say that it's not good. It's awesome guitar work up until the verse comes. the vocals are kind of annoying, the chorus just isn't that great. Nice breakdown though, the solo is actually really creative, but now you start to see the similarity in Hammett's solos. 7.5/10 08. The Call Of Ktulu: the instrumental of the album, it has some nice guitar at the beginning, you have to be really creative to write something like that. I'll say they put the most work into this song, too bad that it didn't succeed. Nice guitar work throughout the song, amazing bass throughout, next time you listen to this, really focus on the bass, it's even more amazing than the guitar. Truly amazing piece, best Metallica instrumental by far. 9.5/10 The highlights of the album would be... Ride The Lightning For Whom The Bell Tolls Fade To Black Creeping Death The Call Of Ktulu (I rarely give 5 highlights in a review, but this album is so dang amazing!) I love everything on it, there is nothing to hate about one o the famed 4 Metallica albums, except for the lack of bass in AJFA, that is. There is no losing this album, it's in a safe place already. // 10

Ride The Lightning Reviewed by: Themadisraeli, on march 03, 2010

Sound: I have always been a hater of Metallica, I never liked them, never understood the hype. I've listened to the big three classic albums 3 or 4 times over and I've not liked them, ever. So why am I writing this? I am attempting ONCE AGAIN to commit the futile act of being open minded and give this band another honest chance, I just finished with Ride The Lightning and here are my thoughts. On a review, I'd give this thing a 2/10. For a myriad of reasons that quite frankly, will plague the entirety of Metallica's "good" material. I will dissect this album track by track. 01. Fight Fire with Fire: this song is the ONLY REASON this album gets any score at all, and its still not really an excellent thrash song. This song starts out with a BEAUTIFUL acoustic intro that has such a nice touch of classical to it, but when it ends, the thrash comes, well, kind of. As soon as this song kicks into high gear the three major faults of Metallica become present. The simplistic and not even nessecarily catchy or memorable riffs, Hedfields melodic but, somehow boringly monotone vocal style, and that awful guitar tone that sounds like their playing through practice amps in a garage. These things ALWAYS apply to Metallica no matter what stage of their career you speak of, but that's just their general traits, I will focus on the particulars to this album later. This song is better than most, it has a memorable chorus that's been done a million times before in a million different variations, a solo that sounds like every other Kirk Hammet solo ever written (Turn the Wah on, noodle in a non memorable less skilled manner in E, or F# minor and pentatonic) that just happens to be better than most, and the cool lead guitar dual afterward. Otherwise this song is pretty uninspiring for the most part. The riffs here are barely riffs, one of the things about Metallica, and Metallica's fans that grinds me to no end, we will touch on this through a majority of this series. As while I will be giving these albums an honest chance, it will more than likely end in me tearing the "big three" a new asshole. 02. Ride The Lightning: I forget if this is a Mustaine number or not, but I'm not a Mega-fag or a Metalli-fag and really don't care. It has a Mustaine characteristic to it in its riffs but, overall, the song still sucks. Why? Metallica's leading fault, riffs that aren't riffs. Every riff in this song is NOTHING but constant chugging or pedaling on the E string with one, or two power chords to make a difference in notes. I know, Thrash is always chugging on the E string but, NO ONE does it like Metallica. How people actually think things like "The Thing That Should Not Be" (a song that should be ENTIRELY to blame for the worst of the Post-thrash/groove movement) actually have RIFFS to them. Its nothing but heavily palm muted chugging and than occasionally, a riff will pop up that's not as much a percussion instrument as the f--king drums are. I don't even remember a single riff from this song and I'm writing this blog immediately after listening to it because all I can recall is constant thudding on palm muted power chords. The ONLY thing that at all sticks out in this song Kirk Hammet actually somewhat manages to produce a solo that envokes colors other than f--king putrid ass gray. 03. For Whom The Bell Tolls: here we have probably one of the FEW decent Metallica songs (by decent, it'd get probably a 4/10 from me). The intro melody is cool, the drama of the build up with the guitars ringing out and the bass going is cool, and than it begins. CHUG CHUG CHUG CHUG CHUG CHUG CHUG CHUG CHUG CHUG CHUG CHUG CHUG CHUG CHUG Power chord lather rinse repeat. Wait a minute, they already used a variation of this riff in Fight Fire with Fire, WHAT THE f--k!? When we finally get to the actual main meat riff of the song, things pick up a bit but its got a swing characteristic Metallica should've left to Overkill, this'll be your chorus riff. Than we have the verse, the verse is just f--king suckage ass bitch shit smeared all over my face everytime I listen to it. Are you serious? a suspended power chord for a verse? In thrash? Shouldn't this be in anything other than thrash? Nu metal, Hair metal, ANYTHING ELSE!? 90% of this song is simply the chorus riff, and the verse, and a really weak fade out outro that's just more suspended power chords. I'm sure there is an E-minor pentatonic wank solo with heavy wah somewhere in here but does it really matter? The only memorable part of this song is the chorus really. 04. Fade To Black: Metallica for some reason, seems to do these ballad type of pieces the best, and by best I mean just above being a junk of putrified shit. To be fair I don't mean this as harsh as it sounds, the verse of the song is actually quite cool and there is quite a bit of legitimate feeling put into the intro despite the fact the solo sounds thrown together. It doesn't last though as the song gets more boring as it progresses, instead of climaxing like it should. This song would've actually been good had its unspectacular second half been as good as its captivating first half. Although the first half does have one problem, ANOTHER SECTION OF NOTHING BUT f--kING POWER CHORD CHUGGING! 05. Trapped Under Ice: this song exemplifies Metallica's inability to progress and evolve. This would've been just fine on Kill'em All and is, I'm dead serious, NOTHING but Power Chords and more of Kirk Hammet's POINTLESS WAH INFESTED WANKING! If you like this sort of boring drone shit than that's your thing I guess. 06. Escape: cool melodic intro CHUG CHUG CHUG CHUG CHUG CHUG CHUG CHUG pretty cool chorus melody CHUG CHUG CHUG CHUG CHUG CHUG CHUG CHUG. 07. Creeping Death: One of Metallica's most boring, most overhyped, most incredibly trite pointless songs out there. I'm pretty sure Judas Priest wrote this song before, and much better. 08. Call Of Ktulu: I won't even comment on the fact they f--kING SPELLED CTHULU WRONG save the fact this instrumental isn't captivating except in a few short spots. I can tell you none of these occur within the first 3 or so minutes however. Alot of the lead work in this track just feels tacked on and uninspired, majority of it blindly following the riff melodies. I will admit, most of these riff IDEA'S are cool, but they weren't fleshed out enough to really come across as anything more than something to carry the song, not something to make the song. So there you have it, this is the product of my attempt at being open minded, my attempt to understand why people love this band, and all it did was reinforce, and increase my disdain for this band. I believe this band is to blame for EVERYTHING that went wrong with metal, pointless groove, chugga-chugga bullshit, commercial melodies to stay afloat, you name it, I will, and can, pin it on f--king Metallica. Don't worry, I intend to decimate the overrated shitacular mastercodpiece that is Master Of Puppets and the not prog but, chug of And Justice For All. I will destroy this f--king band. // 2

Lyrics: Hedfield's Lyrics are honestly sometimes very good, but sometimes just come off as plain hammy. I think the lyrics to Fight Fire With Fire and even Creeping Death are pretty cool. // 5

Overall Impression: I am ultimately glad I never spent money on a Metallica album. I will NEVER in my life understand this band. I do not think this band revolutionized thrash, I don't even think we needed this band to exist for it to start. If they did, its sad for me to say I think the pioneers of thrash are also who did it in. // 3

More Metallica reviews rating latest review
+ King Nothing [Single] 9.5 05/26/2014