St. Anger Review

metallica: St. Anger
Released: Jun 5, 2003
Genre: Thrash, Heavy Metal, Speed Metal
Label: Elektra, Vertigo
"St. Anger" is the eighth studio album by American heavy metal band Metallica.
 Lyrics: 6.3
 6.2
 6.6
 5.8
St. Anger Reviewed by: UG Team, on july 21, 2003

Overall Impression: People will bitch. Old school Metallica fans (you know, the same ones who stopped listening after the Black Album?) will try to find something wrong with this album. They need to grow up. They need to come out of their strange little world an accept this album for what it is. Badass rock and roll at it's purest. You can't help but feel like this is a big "F U" album to people who criticize the band. No radio friendly songs, no solos, no slow, quiet orchestrated songs. Just badass riifs played over brutal lyrics. some might even go as far as to say that Metallica have adopted a new sound. I would half agree. But it's not entirely perfect. The lack of solos is going to upset a lot of people that are just dying to bust their chops learning the new licks (with every Metallica album, people find a reason to go back to the woodshed to improve on licks). And sometimes the lyrics are a bit cliched. But you can't underestimate what Metallica has here. It starts off strong with the opening track "Frantic." Lars starts us off with a massive drumroll accompanied by Roberts low bass. But the best part is when Hetfield bust into the chorus where he yells "Frantic tic tic toc tic tic toc!" and barely haves enough breath to finish it. These moments will put a smile on your face upon every listen. All goes well after the beginning and your left with a very hard Metallica album (even by their standards). It might be possible that some Black Album era fans won't like it. Old school fans should like it. But for us who like Metallica no matter if they cut their hair, get sober, and make catchy songs? Well, I think you know the answer. // 8

St. Anger Reviewed by: Nightstrider, on may 30, 2007

Sound: Agony, thy name is St. Anger. You hear those "boink-boink-boink-boink" drums? Those downtuned riffs ripped right from a generic nu-metal record? Those unbearable lyrics delivered through a vocal performance that sounds like livestock being violated by a pickle? That painful silence where solos should ring? That's the sound of a band thoroughly out of ideas. Moreover, it's the sound of the absolute nadir of anything remotely good, or even (god forbid) metal. This, ladies, gentlemen and all things in between, is the sound of St. Anger. What can I say, aside from this? As aforementioned, every instrument in this CD has been perfectly tuned to make your ear-drums suffer profusely. No more screwing around, with hooks of any kind, with this one Metallica simply said "Set phasers to "sodomy" and followed through admirably. I can even picture the genesis of this album in the studio. I'm thinking it went something like this: "Instruments? We don't need no goddam, instruments! We're Metallica!" proclaimed Lars (in his usual fashion). Ulrich, this time filled with something other than a lot of hot air and a lack of talent, made good on this and (if the drum sound on this album is any indication) set an example for the rest of the band by passing up his Tama drum kit in favor of a couple of trash-can lids and the studio water-cooler. James hopped on board by completely and utterly disregarding everything he might have conceivably learned about singing in his 26 years with the band, let alone playing the guitar. And Kirk, as we all know, forgot how to play anything without the profuse use of the wah-pedal long ago. Unfortunately, now he's forgotten how to play solos. And Trujillo well, he does what he's told; namely, to stand in the corner and try not to be noticed. Now I know that by this point I've probably offended somebody by now, and I'll probably get guff for being close-minded or an elitist or some other equally trite and tired label. Well, let me tell you, I can only say what I like and don't like and what I don't like is this steaming pile of hippo crap. But I'm not going to say this arbitrarily, let's examine this a bit more in-depth, shall we? From the beginning of Frantic we can tell that we're not in for any old school bay-area thrash at least. Clang-clang-thunk-thunk! That's pretty much the whole damn song right there folks. Sadly enough, it's actually one of the better songs on the CD, simply because it's tolerable and is relatively merciful at about 6 minutes. Sure the chorus is irritating, the lyrics aren't that great, the riffing is generic but you take what you can get on this album. Then we have the title track, joy of joys! What the hell went wrong here? This funky little groove riff introduces it, then Lar$ I can keep a b3at!! 1 Ulrich comes in, then it drops off into that clang-clang-clang formula this album has. Then, in another schizophrenic tempo change, it drops off into a quiet part emphasizing Hetfield's atrocious singing (which by now has settled into the bottom echelon of the modern rawk spectrum). But wait kids, it gets worse! What the hell is with this next part? James starts singing off-key while the trash-can snare comes in, and some jackass starts saying (not singing) flush it owt! Wow guys, this is profound! And let's not forget the lyrical opus of lines like I'm madly in anger with you! x 4 and of course f**k it all and no regrets, I hit the lights on these dark sets. Hmm, that sounds familiar. Remember that song that closed the underwhelming Master of Puppets? Didn't the lyrics go kinda like that, only perhaps with a bit less teen-angst? Skip this one, kiddles. Some Kind Of Monster could actually be made into a decent or perhaps even good(! ) song, were it not for it's repetitive nature (that tends to happen when you stretch a 4 minute song out to 8) and the utterly asinine lyrics. This is the face that stones you cold? This is the flood that drains these eyes? Way to be coherent guys. Once again, Hetfield deserves a mention for his abysmal singing and trying to rhyme pure with uh, pure. Bravo. I could go on, but really these songs all blur together in their appalling lack of anything redeeming. But I have to mention Shoot Me Again. This is perhaps the worst song ever created by a supposed metal band. It starts off with a useless, grating little ditty before launching into some crappy stab at a quiet, emotional moment. Then, it launches into the apex of it's crappiness: the chorus that would not die. As soon as James starts singing shoot me again, huhuh, shoot me again you know you're in for trouble. But what's worse than this crash course in lyrical stupidity is the fact that he never stops his insipid singing; it just carries on and on and on forever and ever without end amen. Please for the love of all that is small and furry shut up! Except he never does! This abomination continues for 7 minutes of unending agony and hopefully, for the sake of your auditory organs, you have already hit the skip button. Or the eject button. // 2

Lyrics: Oh, where to begin. For a band that many of it's fans say has "matured", these lyrics come off as if they were written by a high school undergraduate who failed English. Everything here is either unimaginative at best or just plain awful. From the idiotic lyrics and rhyme schemes of "Some Kind of Monster" to the blatant, half-assed plagarism of their previous works in songs like the title track, to the just plain creepiness of "Invisible Kid" ("Invisible Kid, suspicious of your touch" WTF? ) this album fails on so many levels, including lyrically. Did I mention Hetfield is at his absolute lowest here? The more you know. // 1

Overall Impression: Really, what more is there to say? This album is beyond awful, it's an atrocity unlike any other. What amazes me is that there are still people who will sing its praises, either out of some counter-conformist need to differ with the widely-held recognition of this album's horridness; or out of some misguided loyalty to the band. To proponents of the former, I have to say that there is a reason it is thought of as a pile of unmitigated crap: because it is one. And to those of the latter, well, if you want to give a manufacturer money for a sub-par product, that's your prerogative. Really, all this album is is proof that this band can take a crap in a CD case an sell it. But that doesn't mean you have to get suckered into it. // 1

St. Anger Reviewed by: <<< Frantic >>>, on october 13, 2003

Sound: I love all the old Metallica albums, all the way through from Kill 'Em All, with some exceptions on Load and Reload, but St. Anger is a metal masterpiece. The new sound is... indescribable. It's godamn excellent. A little bit repetitive on St. Anger itself, but the rest of the songs are brilliant. All the riff work is extraordinary. Lars' drumming is the standout musicianship on the album, he's insesant double kicking mixed in with instense cymbol work is amazing. Robert Trujillo was definately an excellent choice for bass, he's such an excellent bass player. Without his bass booming in the background and creating some really cool riffs St. Anger would not be the same. A good fast crunch embodies the whole album. Any true metal fan should love this album, because I agree it's not "Old" Metallica, but it's bl**dy good! // 10

Lyrics: Perhaps the biggest difference between this and their other albums is the lyrics. If one were to really listen and truly compare this album to any of their previous work, you would realise that these lyrics are far more emotional and sensitive to previous ones. These lyrics were written to reach out and touch people, to get people in touch with raw anger. James's voice makes the adrenaline pump, especially in Frantic, "FRANTIC, TIC, TIC, TIC, TIC, TIC, TOC!!!". He's never sung so passinately in his career, he gives the whole album 100%. Invisible Kid and My World are probably some really passionate singing, Frantic is damn cool in it's lyrics. The cool thing about this albums lyrics is the fact that they're choppy, some of it doesn't really make any sense, but that's okay, cause it's metal and it's music and it doesn't have to make sense. Some of the best lyrics I've heard off a new album in a very long time. // 10

Overall Impression: All the Metallica fans that can't grasp the fact that there's no solo's and it's totally different to their old music... need to get over it. They're not real metal fans if you can't see past the lack of solo's. It's just damn solid music, really heavy, really gritty and downright psychotic! It embodies everything I love about metal, and music in general. It's passionate, not just Jame's voice but the whole band, the whole sound, the whole album. All four guys sounds meld together and transform into something completely different. There's nothing I've heard to compare it too, there's nothing that really characterises this album, it's metal obviously but Metallica have transcended the usual metal boundaries and provided us with something new, and should be set as a benchmark for future metal bands. All the songs on the album are really brilliant, Frantic, Some Kinda Monster, My World, Sweet Amber and The Unnamed Feeling are probably my personal favourites, but there's nothing wrong with any of the other songs. The whole album is very cool, I urge anyone who likes a good metal sound to get it. // 10

St. Anger Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 27, 2004

Sound: This album sounds like a bunch of hobos smashing bin lids together. It's utterly terrible. I believe Busted's new album has a better sound than Metallica, and I hate Busted! I believe Hetfield sounds constipated and could do with a serious dose of Laxitives! Ulrich sounds like a toddler descovering how to hit a bake bean can and as for the New bassist Robert, well he really hasn't got a clue.What else is there to write other than the sound is awful, Busted's demo tapes probably sound better than this! // 2

Lyrics: Lyrics? What lyrics? I think they must have been on something to write these lyrics, as they make no sense whatsoever! Either that or they truly have "lost it?" The lyrics really do not fuse withthe music, and have no relevance or link to what's being played. Shear mayhem! Singer skills? There aren;t ANY! Hetfield can no longer (and never has been able to in my opinion) sing! Metallica would suit being an instrumental band playing more songs like "Orion" or the "Call of Ktulu"! // 2

Overall Impression: Well it's an utter dissapointment, not what you would expect of a normally so well constructed and 'musically minded' band. Whatever you do, Don't Buy It, Download It, Borrow It Or Even Listen To It For That Matter!!! Definitely one to miss!!! Pure s***! // 2

St. Anger Reviewed by: SLD.Potato, on january 04, 2007

Sound: If you like older Metallica, or if you like newer Metallica, it just doesn't matter. This is totally unlike anything they've done. The guitars are tuned down to drop C, for a dirtier, heavier noise, Hetfield's singing is very unpolished, probably done with minimal takes, and the drumming is different for what most people are accustom to. The snare is more of a "ping" sound than a "snap" sound, immediately unattracting a lot of people. // 8

Lyrics: I personally believe this is the best singing Hetfield's done. Why? Because it's so unbelievably raw and hard. He's never sung like he has on this album. Breathlessly shouting "Frantic-tic-tic-toc," much like how everyone else has quoted in their reviews, is very exciting to hear. And there's still a lot more moments like that in the album than just that part. The singing is very rough around the edges, but it rightfully should be. I don't see why this is such a major issue for some people. This is metal, not pop music. If I wanted perfect singing I'd listen to some trashy Pop star, not heavy metal. Lyric-wise, everyone else seems to say that the lyrics are aweful. They aren't that bad, but honestly I don't get what's so great about Metallica's lyrics in the first place. It is different, but I don't see it as much of a step forward or a step backwards, honestly. // 6

Overall Impression: People who say this is "nu-Metallica" or "mallcore" are total idiots, and I'll say why: this is by far the most raw, dirty, unpollished, and un-catchy Metallica's ever been. Long and extremely un-radio friendly tracks make up a majority of this album (The shortest song is over five minutes long). Tell me how this is Metallica trying to imitate nu-metal? This isn't a catchy album. It's not supposed to be. It's a middle finger to anyone who said Metallica's sold out and lost their touch. Most people just don't get it. With a name like St. Anger, it's a dark, 70-minute anger-fest. And it does a damn good job. So what do you do? Half the people say this album's total shit, the other half praise it. It's easy, just listen to one song. Somehow, download it, borrow it, something. Just manage to hear one song, once. Any song. See how you react. If you can't stand the unusual drumming, singing, and guitar, then just don't get the album. If it's differences interest and excite you (like for me) then get it. Only you know if you're going to actually like it. // 7

St. Anger Reviewed by: needlesnpins, on may 29, 2004

Sound: This was the first Metallica cd I ever bought, I was into metallica before I really liked Justice and Kill Em All, they still are my favourites but this was the first album I put the money up and actually bought, cuz it was knew I was gettin into Metallica, and yeah. When I bought it St. Anger was out the single, I never liked it I figured stuff would get better on the album. When I first bought it I wasnt much into it I couldn't sit through the songs, but eventually the songs started to grow on me, it really is a unique sounding cd, I've never heard anything like it, all the songs I now like and this cd is one of my favourite metallica cds, works good for helping me deal with shit, turns my sadness into anger which is easier to deal with which is sweet. Learning the songs on guitar is also fun, playin in front of friends to, frantic is really easy to play. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are good alot of ppl say they suck cuz there too stupid to understand them, and its not written, alot of symbols and metaphors, and shit that ppl don't wanna try and figure out. Shoot me again, I think is about all the shit that has happened to them but they dont really give a fuck about it and keep on going,napster, ppl saying they sold out cuz they cut there hair (if appearance is that important in music go and listen to sum fuckin britney spears seriously). James singing is not great, but I think it was sorta meant that way the whole album has a raw sound and feeling, and so does his singing, it's like the real deal, no redoing the line 60 million times tell you get the prettiest sounding one. // 8

Overall Impression: Great album one of my favourites from Metallica, which is I guess of everything cuz Metallica's the f--in greatest, man I can't really pick my favourites Kill Em All and justice are the top 2 tho then Lighting, Puppets the Black Album and St. Anger are all round the same, Load and Reload I kinda gotta be in the mood to listen to which doesn't happen very often maybe like once a month. // 10

St. Anger Reviewed by: breadfan82, on november 08, 2004

Sound: Well, this certainly wasn't what this 15-year fan was expecting from a top-shelf band like Metallica. The overall sound quality of this album was about as good as if you were to record yourself farting into a running blender. Most of the album is recorded (tuning, low to high) CGCFAD, is extremely muddy and muffled, and the lack of a single guitar solo is depressing and unimpressive. (And I'm one of Metallica's biggest fans and defenders). I would agree that it does sound like there is some sort of new-metal influence. You can hear those kinds of, dare I say, amateur riffs on any Godsmack or Staind album, so for such god-like guitarists as James and Kirk to have to resort to the bare essentials of what I would consider to be "beginner guitar rock" is almost vomit-inducing. Let us also not forget (no matter how much we want to) that the introduction of Lars' popcorn-like snare drum makes his beats sound like a two-year-old pounding on a coffee can. I also agree that there is virtually no need for Kirk to have even showed up for recording sessions. Tell me he didn't study under Satriani so he could play this kind of trash. I have truthfully heard better music from no-name, three-piece garage bands playing in their parents' basements. But, for the simple fact that four people were able to play their instruments together at the same time, I guess it still barely deserves a 2 in my book. // 4

Lyrics: I could probably write a novel about how stupid and redundant these lyrics are, but I'll just attack the main problem that I see. The lyrics are extremely shallow and near-meaningless, almost like they were pressed for time and needed to come up with something... anything, fast. Example: "St, Anger 'round my neck, he never gets respect..." Now to me, that just sounds like you're trying to make words rhyme and nothing else. Where's the heart, the bread, the depth that we have all come to know and love over the last 20+ years? I realize that lyrics are mostly James' department, and that this is their 10th album, but he seems to have lost whatever flare was driving him through the other albums. I also understand that one can only write about war, deception, fear and hate for so long and still avoid monotony. It is this writer's opinion that this album's lyrics have been heisted from the whiny crap-metal bands of today in order to appeal to fans of the likes of Linkin Park, Staind, Disturbed, and the list goes on forever. I think we're all tired of hearing about how angry, sad or inadequate somebody feels, whether we realize it or not. If I want to hear that junk, I'll buy a Good Charlotte record. // 2

Overall Impression: Overall, this is not just the worst Metallica album, but potentially the worst metal album of all time, delivered by arguably the best metal band of all time. It is an engine of media, barely floating, and designed only to appeal to an already apathetic audience and sell records. This album, for lack of a better term, really takes a crap on all things metal. I suppose the next thing we could expect is for Metallica to tour with Nickelback. Metallica itself is more a religion than it is a music icon, and its fans have been left scratching their heads at this one. // 2

St. Anger Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 14, 2005

Sound: The sound in this couldnt pass as a friggin cat being killed by a pack of wild wolverines. There is no sound it is the same notes in different orders and speeds. Metallica used to have a good metal sound. They tuned the same way every song and didn't play a melody relying on the 7th string that doesn't exist on most peoples guitar. If your gonna make a CD and you are one of the best metal bands in the world then you should sorta try what you did before 'cause that's the s--t. There were no good solos because now Kirk is sucking. If you ever hear this album run to the basment and hit the f--king light. Kill'Em All to Black was the best sounding that I have ever heard. This crap sucked. // 2

Lyrics: What the hell does my lifestyle determines my death style mean? Exactly because no one knows. Not even the people that made it. Some Kind Of Monster had pretty good lyrics cuz they actually ment something. Haha yea friggin right. Dirty Window is the most lyricly retarded song I have ever had the misfortune to hear I will never listen to this song again unless I'm high with some friends and wanna hear something funny. We will be laughing for hours just because Metallica don't care about friggin music. They sold out when Load came out. And they still don't care. The lyrics didn't make any sence when Load came out and they don't make sence today. // 2

Overall Impression: This CD didn't hold any water. As a matter of fact it storming out. This was worse than the happy birthday song after everyone has a hangover. It sucked. The only song that was even remotly good was St. Anger. And that song sucked. I hated every song pretty much on this CD. What happened to Metallica after black. I would never buy this CD unless they were giving them free away at a save the whales benifit. Then you can have a frizbee with a fist on it. My overall message here is if you listen to this CD more than twice and still think that you can find a riff or a good solo then you are as retarded as the day is long well I'm outie peace biatch. // 2

St. Anger Reviewed by: the warriors, on may 16, 2012

Sound: I think that the sound of "St. Anger" fits the situation that the band was in. The dark and heavy riffs, and the anger in James' voice. Overall it could not have been different. A lot of people complain about Lars' snare drum in this album, I can not hear it, really I can't, though I do agree the sound of all the instruments could have been better. I give it eight because it's great but it is a sted backwards if you listen to "Reload". The only song I didn't like was purify, its just way to basic compared to the rest of the album. // 8

Lyrics: In the old days James and Lars wrote all the lyrics, but now the whole band comes in with ideas. I think all the lyrics in this album except maybe in the song "St. Anger", he repeats himself alot in that song, James lyrics and his singing never fails to impress the the hell out of me, yes hell dwells inside of me... As you can see in the "Some Kind Of Monster" movie, James is having a hard time writing the lyrics, because of the rehab stuff, but "St. Anger" great lyrics and vocals. // 9

Overall Impression: "St. Anger" is in it's own class I will not compare it to other 'Tallica albums because of the fact it's totally different. The best songs is: Frantic Some Kind Of Monster Shoot Me Again Sweet Amber The Unnamed Feeling All Within My Hands. Or that's my opinion anyway... I love almost everything about this album, the only thing I dislike is no guitar solos. But luckily Kirk plays some when they play some of the songs live, so not complaining that much. If I lost this album I would kill to get a new one (not really kill) great album, great band. // 9

St. Anger Reviewed by: Brenton Allen, on april 11, 2005

Sound: Frantic was the only song on the album that I found to be unique. The rest of the songs were all similar and very average and Metallica seem to have lost their way and turned into a typical 21st century metal band. There were no ausumn, fast solo's and it was as they were trying to make noise rather than perform music. I expected much more of Metallica really. // 4

Lyrics: A thing that made Metallica's previous albums so good were Hetfield's lyrics. St. Anger reveals lyrics the standard of an unexperienced high school garage band. I expected lyrics that actually spoke to me and meant something to me like their previous albums did. These lyrics are very average! // 6

Overall Impression: I am 14 years old. Metallica have been my favourite band since I was ten. I have all their albums. However St. Anger is by far the worst Metallica album that has been released. The album was on sale for ten dollars and I don't even think it is worth that amount of money. Over the years Metallica have proved to us that they are the best rock band alive, however st anger does not show Metallica's full potential. However I am positive that Metallica will bounce back with another album and show the world what they are really capable of. // 4

St. Anger Reviewed by: metOLIca, on april 22, 2004

Sound: OK first of all people may say that this is Metalica's worst albumm... I agree but you can't compare all there albums with each other becauase 'Master Of Puppets', and 'Metallica' are in-fucking-possible to beat... there is only so much you can do with the eGBDAE tuning hense, why they tried somehting new and went for the drop D down a step, and in my opinion they pulled it off. The drums are a little wierd at times, and yes sometimes the guitar isn't quite the heavy Metallica riffs as we know, but as I said they tried something new... // 8

Lyrics: Yes James is a lyrical god... and yes the lyrics on this album were not as good as some of Metallica's previous songs, Enter Sandman, Sanatarium, For Whom the Bells Toll, but, this is to any one out there who has said these lyrics are crap, I really would like to see you write over 100 songs and sitll come up with amazing lyrics, it's not do-able, off course there gunna run out of ideas at some point and I personally thought it'd be before 40 years of Metallcia running, so taking that in hand these lyrics are pretty fucking good... // 10

Overall Impression: Ok every has said this album is crap has said, 'I prefer the old Metallica'...'Why did they change there Style...' and shit like that, well why dont you just shut the fuck up and compare there album to recent bands albums like... Limp Bizkit... which in my opinion was the worse pile off shit ive ever seen in my life, Linkin Park, (Ok korn was pretty good), but any way Metallica make all of the other bands look like Pussy's no other band could do what Metallica have done, do you see Limp Bizkit making Nine albums + 4 CDs of live shit, or do you see Linkin Park on Mtv Icon... I don't think so... so next time you listen to Frantic, Saint Anger, or Some Kind Off Monster, just take that into consideration and you will see that Metallica are still what they always have been, A F--KING AMAZING BAND.... if you don't think so then F--K YOU!!! // 10

St. Anger Reviewed by: Zombie spawn, on january 12, 2008

Sound: St. Anger is not only a mistake made by Metallica, but also the showing of a poor bass-player desicion to replace Cliff. Yes, the sound of St. Anger only presented generic riffs that a brain-dead Spider Monkey could play with his teeth, and a drum beat to deafen the masses. the sound of true Metallica is why ex-core listeners dislike this album. Metallica just set such a high standard to accomplish that they couldn't do it. They just couldn't keep up with the interests of their rock-solid neck muscled fans, who have been head-banging to Creeping Death all day. As much as I love Metallica, I truly wish that they would have dropped the band when Cliff died. Each member of Metallica has their own unique keystone to the band. When one dies out, they all follow. St. Anger was the result of a badly made audio entertainment aide, if you will. The bass player couldn't pass off as a mediocre talent, let alone Metallica-worthy. The riffs are monotonous, the drums are out of beat, and the bass is too horrible to insult. The singing is a bit low for the essence of Metallica. it's a shame that the original Heavya$$, hardcore, trash metal band, who set influences for countless other bands, would put an album out like this. It's a horrible shame, and an even worse truth. Plus no song on this album could keep up with the amazing rapid guitar of Hit The Lights. // 2

Lyrics: Repetitive, poorly written, pointless, unneeded lyrics were at the head of this horrible album. Personally, I don't think Metallica needs lyrics. Listen to Call Of The Ktulu, and Orion. Lyrics are immaterial, and are not needed. Past that, the lyrics relate to other songs with a disturbing resemblance. "F--k you all, no regrets. I hit the lights on these dark steps" from St. Anger (song) and "Hit the lights aaaahhh" from hit the lights, are nearly the same, except Hit The Lights is better. The singer definitely dissapointed me greatly on this album. // 1

Overall Impression: Please, save yourself the agony, and don't buy this album. Don't get me wrong, I have never downloaded a Metallica album illegally (I know it's hard to believe), but I support Metallica, and feel guilty stealing their music. This album is not stealing from Metallica, it is stealing good music from you. I am yet to run into a worse Metallica song than St. Anger, and hope I Never will. St. Anger is the deformed child of Unearth, Killswitch Engage, and any really bad Nu-Metal band you can think of. It's just pure agony to the ears. All drive, no clean is not the way to go. Ex-core listeners loved the combination of Rip your Heart out songs like Nothing Else Matters and Mama Said, and Death-Metal-That-Makes-Your-Head-Explode (in a good way) songs like Creeping death and The memory Remains. But that is all gone. St. Anger just makes me want to beat my computer with a raw herring (in a bad way) until the song stops, or my computer breaks, Whichever comes first. And if I can still hear after that, I might pump tar into my head to ease the pain of the rest of the album. The point is, I write this because true Metallica is awesome, and this disappointed me. Please take this Review Seriously, because I am trying to keep the ears of All Metallica listeners out there safe. // 1

St. Anger Reviewed by: unregistered, on march 08, 2005

Sound: Now, it's common knowledge that this album is very well, raw in production, which people seem to have a problem with. One of these "problems" is that it has a very dirty and gritty sound. If I hadn't seen SKOM I would say that Bob wasn't even at the studio moving the EQs. Another "problem" are the solos which aren't there. Oh well. Do the songs need lead break to be great? No. People even have a problem with the way Lars has his drums set. I honestly don't pay that much attention. If he wants to play that way, let him. He can still whoop my ass on drums. Overall, the sounds of this album are a bit different from other Metallica albums, but I've always had the impression that music is about expression and change. I say the sound fits the mood and makes the album better. // 10

Lyrics: People still haven't bitched about the album enough until picking apart the lyrics. Yeah, so what? They may not be as powerful or clean as previous Metallica songs, but this time the lyrics weren't about the normal song material, this time they were about what the band wanted to say to itself and it's fans. I don't see these lyrics as being "terrible" like others on this board would say, because if the band is happy with the outcome, a true Metallica fan should be as well. // 8

Overall Impression: My overall feeling for this album is that it had the chance to be something much more, but wuth Jason out and Jaymz out as well, things had to change. And this album was the start of another change in the monster of Metallica. I'm a huge Metallica fan, only because I can't help but to be. I respect these guys because they deserve it, and this album deserves your respect if you are a true Metallica fan. // 10

St. Anger Reviewed by: piquet, on january 04, 2006

Sound: In Metallica's origins rose an almost transcending fluid motion of music inherent in compatability of rhythm, lead and vocals; however, in this album, that formula has seemedly been thrown away and turned into a monotonously drab highschool garage punk band with some random guy as a screamer. Honestly, I detest the sound of the album in most cases, but I do find that if I actually sit down and listen to the music, rather than screw myself out of a good album after impatiently bitching for two seconds into the song and turning it off, it grows on me. I usually don't chose to play this album unless I am in a mood for heavy lifting, running, etc. It is a very good workout album. Sorry Metallica, but it's true! // 7

Lyrics: Most say the lyrics don't make sense, but I try to see past that. I don't know first hand what was going through the boys' heads when they wrote the songs, and neither do any of you. If you could prove to me without a doubt that the lyrics are meaningless, then I'll believe you; but until then, screw off or something. A song that really gets me thinking is Sweet Amber, with the lyrics. What this speaks to me is that (I'll just say Het wrote this, I don't know or care, really) Hetfield is singing about being a dishonest man with a dishonest woman. He does her favors so she won't think to crush him, but the man knows the woman is cheating; however, he just lets it go because he is so desperately in love with her, which I deduce from the lyrics "She holds the pen that spells the end she traces me and draws me in"; ergo, he is afraid she will call for a divorce. The second line in my opinion does not talk about the pen, but how the desperate, cheating woman completes the desperate, cheating man. Perhaps I am looking a little too much into these lyrics, but I really do enjoy the shadowy poetic lyrics in this album. It gives me a chance to use my mind, rather than destroy it in a binge of alcholol and headbanging inherent in earlier albums (which I do love as much, if not more than St. Anger). As far as singer skills, I still cannot get past James' singing. James Hetfield should not sing. He sounds like Uli Jon Roth, formerly of the Scorpions/Electric Sun, or even worse, me! // 8

Overall Impression: People who try to justify themselves for not missing the solos should just listen to punk. It's just as good, and all you're missing is Hetfield's voice. By the by, I regard most all new music as punk, as they simply put, are. If I have to explain myself to you, then you are one of them, and that's final. In the rockumentary Some Kind of Monster, they discuss this issue. They agreed on a "sometimes" solo rule. Not all the time, not none of the time. Lars can go to hell for this! I was on his side for the Napster ordeal because looking at the truth and not the bitching "want" of idiots, he was right. I was on his side for the whole wearing underwear to play the drums, as I understand that things get a little chaffed when playing so fast so long, one must be comfortable. But this.That lying bastard! Solos are the main reason Kirk is in the band, and now through manipulating the other band members and that fathead guidance councelor, Lars has destroyed Metallica! He took away one of the first things to enter into a persons musical mind when listening to Metallica. He destroyed the possibility for more kickass memories of more kickass solos! I don't really like the style of music, but I enjoy the lyrics and the "pump you up" feeling (on occasion). Impressive? The Unnamed Feeling, I guess. I liked that one. To answer the last question of this little questionnaire, if it were stolen/lost, I wouldn't buy it again for a while. I've already listened to it and know it pretty well. If it were something not destroyed by Lars, though I would probably buy it again sooner. // 5

St. Anger Reviewed by: MetalNick, on january 16, 2006

Sound: The sound has changed once agian. It does take some time to get used to the sound acctually. Unlike what any metallica basher might say, they kinda turned to their roots. The sound isn't very warm, like anything from Black Album, this one has the more bad-ass sound. A lot say the songs look-a-like, but to be honest I find that more on their first 3 albums than on this one. Don't get fooled by the bashers. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are better than on (Re)Load. 01. Frantic - this one made me think. The point of the song I guess. 02. St. Anger - shows how 'produced' this album is. James' voice sounds so much different than live. Live it's kick ass, this is bob rock bored. 03. Some Kind Of Monster - the good old screaming James. where did he go? Lyrical wise also good. Also live better. 04. Dirty Window - hm, hard to rate. Good riff and all, but the lyrics repeat is getting boring after a while. 05. Invisible Kid - I guess this is about James as a child. 'He doesn't want the attention you give'. 06. My World - oh, yeah, all I can say. 07. Shoot Me Agian - tells the bashers whatever you will say (all the shit you fake), they won't change (comes back to haunt you). 08. Sweet Amber - a song about beer I reackon. Deals with it pretty good. 09. The Unnamed Feeling - musical-wise good, but not to sure about the lyrics. Not to sure what the unnamed feeling might be. Probably why it's un-named. 10. Purify - rhytmic rap? The bridge and chorus are good. Bit random. 11. All Within My Hands - wouldn't be suprised if it's about loving them by choking them to death, i.e. Jason. Also, don't expect any 'Scanning the scene in the city tonight'-like lyrics, they are deep, but not as blurry as (Re)Load. // 8

Overall Impression: I find it their best album, next to Master Of Puppets. Apart from The Unnamed Feeling they are all pretty rough songs. I love it because of everything that it has, but I hate it for what it lacks solos. Kirk (on Some Kind Of Monster): 'I don't really feel the need to show off anymore'. Maybe true, but you regret it now. If it were stolen, I'd probably become known as the guy who killed a thief over a Metallica CD. This is highly recommendable if you are a Metallica fan. But if you are one of those guys saying 'I only like the first 4 albums...' you can lick your own scrotum instead of buying this album. Also, I liked it from the moment I put it in my CD-player. I've grown up listening to Metallica, and after not hearing any new stuff since I disappear, I was really enjoyed. Also, before you start hating me 'cause I like St. Anger, Metallica at least has the guts to; suddenly leave out solo's; suddenly change their sound. If they were making Kill 'em All 9 now, we'd all be 'change your f--king sound!', as I do with Depech Mode, but now they do occasionally change their sound, and you are all bitching about it. Grow up, or start your own band building on the Master Of Puppets sound, instead of bashing Metallica for having guts. // 10

St. Anger Reviewed by: ESP_Kruspe, on february 21, 2006

Sound: First off this album, is amazing. It's hard to believe that some people think that Metallica had to stick to the old them. Do you honestly think they'd be happy to keep the playing the exact same type of music for over twenty years? The sound from St. Anger, was amazing. Every instrument sounded amazing too me, and still does. The majority of people would disagree. Why? Is it because they aren't making the music you want to hear any more? Their in this for the fun of it. The sound, was agressive. Adreinline pumping, and so on. It reflects perfectly the difficulties the band were going through then, which amazes mein how well they still managed to produce the album. Who gives a f--k if there was no solos? It was still amazing. Want solos, wait for their album later this year. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics, were perfect. The Unnamed Feeling to me was sucha perfect and inspirational song. The majority of the lyrics are well written, and express a lot of emotions, which run well with the music behind it all. Hetfield? His voice is awesome. He still can pull shit hot tones, even if he blew his voice out in the Black Album. // 10

Overall Impression: It is not thier best album, but I love it. Surprisingly, I love Load and ReLoad, which again a lot of people don't, because it's just not how they think Metallica should run. The Unnamed Feeling and Frantic are what I'd say are the best of the album but there are other greats. Personally it's worth buying. If I lost it, I would re-buy, that's for sure. // 10

St. Anger Reviewed by: aaronmcm99, on may 11, 2012

Sound: Some people hated this album with a passion, I however, think the total opposite, its my favourite Metallica album, with "The Black Album" a close second. The album has the sound its always had, Megadeath esque thrash metal, with cleaner guitar elements, and some very well done songs "Frantic", "St Anger" examples of this, but still, by this point, Metallica lost some of its innovation that made them a great band. // 8

Lyrics: James Hetfield, continues to be a great frontman, and brings his distinctive voice into the songs, but unlike several other thrash metal groups and bands, he voice is genuinely, genuinely GOOD, the lyrics are great, proper metal lyrics with good timing to it aswell. // 9

Overall Impression: Overall its a good album, lacks some true innovation, but a brilliant album, nonetheless the obvious album to get if you had a choice, the stand out songs are "Sweet Amber", "St Anger" and, my personal favourite "Frantic", I give this an overall score of 9 nine out of 10, a very respectful score I believe. // 9

St. Anger Reviewed by: UG Team, on august 22, 2003

Sound: I got the new Metallica album "St. Anger" a while ago and have been listening to it all the time since i first got it. The first thing you realise about it is that it's very heavy for Metallica. I have loved Metallica for ten years now and have all of the albums, which are all amazing! But one thing really shocked me about "St. Anger" where are the amazing Kirk Hammet Solos! I was mortified about the thought of Metallica being just another "nu-metal band!", which it first sounds like. However..... What you get is the culmination of years of playing together fused with basic metal to give an album with a vibe that explodes out of your speakers and straight into your chest and make your whole body throb! Old school Metallica fans may talk of mammoth concerts with epic songs and dismiss this new, almost re-invention of Metallica's "style". However, song's such as Frantic, Invisible Kid and St. Anger still have that energy with is an essential Metallica trait. Kirk's and James' perfect unity gives more depth, more power, more energy with a classic underlying 80's rock sound. Lars, as always, is amazing giving a chugging solid beat at times but also gives an emotive edge to verse's and chorus' with some very slick bass drum work. The style is a fine tuning of basic rock without being pop-like, such as nu-metal! The additional DVD of Metallica practising is great! It's like buying an additional concert DVD but it's absolutely free! // 10

Lyrics: Lyrically this album is more direct more personal. You can relate to it, even feel what is being pumped into your head. "Sweet Amber" and "Shoot Me Again" are beautifully written and sung and moved me in what they said and how they are delivered to the listener. // 10

Overall Impression: So after listening for hours to this new, solo-less, "nu-metal" album what can we say..... If you really appreciate Metallica and take the time to listen, you'll find that this CD is the most personal, inclusive and raw album to date. It's an album of great skill and emotion. So all there is to say is...BUY IT!!! // 10

St. Anger Reviewed by: Bubonic Chronic, on september 29, 2004

Sound: This ain't Metallica, folks! If Metallica were really behind the album, it might actually ring with some of their creativity and I don't know might possibly not sound like every post-grunge, wanna-be American metal act I've ever heard. In short, american metal today is like american beer - cheap, watered-down and basically worthless. Wasting tape on this travesty is like turning perfectly good water into Budweiser. Pointless. Kind of like life to all the suicidal emo/goth suburbanites to whom this is supposed to appeal. // 2

Lyrics: So you're Sober and apparently broke (otherwise, why try so desperately to write meaningless lyrics to fill an album and make a buck?) Go cry in your AA meeting and shut up. // 4

Overall Impression: I must confess I did not buy this. Nor did I go and see them live during their recent tour. What's the point? If I wanted to drink $7 beer in a sauna while listening to bad wanna-be Korn, I'd put Staind on Headphones, buy some Chimay and go to the day spa. At least I might get drunk. I gave the album a listen, and had initially planned on downloading the MP3's in lieu of purchase (just because Lars is a whining, rich spank, and though I have purchased everything else in my collection, I wanted to download this turd for free.) Once I heard it, I realized it is not worth a download, either. It's certainly not worth buying. Conclusion: Metallica's downfall began with the death of Cliff Burton in 1986. The following album, ...And Justice For All, was a bit of a sonic disappointment given a total lack of Jason Newsted's bass. After probably about 500,000 listens, I still swear he wasn't even present during the sessions. The rest of the band had a good effort, though, Justice was a brutal masterpiece despite the lack of a bass player. Black album was the death rattle. Overall, that was also a great record, and one I still enjoy quite a bit. Unfortunately it was produced by Bob Rock, and his pathetic, ultimately ruining influence can already be detected. Thankfully Hetfield was still drinking pretty heavily, which apparently is a good thing. Load and ReLoad were crap. Not completely, mind you. There were a few great tunes, such as Mama Said and The House That Jack Built, but these islands of listenability float in a sea of excrement. What were they thinking?! Lars was apparently trying to be another member of Oasis, or possibly he thought he might finally get some airplay in gay bars. Wrong. It's garbage. 5 or 6 or 7 or seemed like 10 years passed with nothing but a repackaging of their old (good) material from the 80's in the form of a bloated symphony live album - yet another slap in the face to older fans - and Garage, Inc., which is about as entertaining as watching Arafat get a full body massage. By the time St. Anger came out, I had given up on Metallica to such an extent that this release may as well have been Britney Spears covering Kenny G on smack. Somehow it managed to wind up weasling it ways into my ear canal. Very, very sad. // 4

St. Anger Reviewed by: Michaelpalkowsk, on april 12, 2005

Sound: The overall sound quality of this album was what I would have expect of a garage band with no money, the production is terrible, there is no trademark Metallica solos anywhere. The riffs are really basic and end up sounding bad. Bass guitar tuning was really bad and Lars' drumming was really annoying you could hear the hissing of his cymbals all the way through all the songs. It is a very heavy and gritty album standout tracks are The Unnamed Feeling and Some Kind Of Monster. // 4

Lyrics: The lyrics seems meaningless, they have no point and make no sense what so ever. I think the band just concentrated on making the lyrics rhyme. "Shoot Me Again" is the worst Metallica song ever and lyrically it is pathetic. Listening to the lyrics I find they repeat themselves and they are boring and simple. It ends up being torture to listen to. Standout tracks lyrically are Some Kind Of Monster and My World. // 4

Overall Impression: There are far better metal albums out that are about 100 times better than this album. It doesn't sound like Metallica that once influenced millions. // 2

St. Anger Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 12, 2005

Sound: Personally, I think Metallica is the best band on the planet, so I maybe a bit biased. However, although not the best Metallica album, St. Anger isn't the worst. In last place, I put Reload (country metal?) It seems that most people don't like the way the band went with St. Anger. I found that, after watching Some Kind Of Monster, it all made a bit more sense. As to the solos (or lack thereof), Kirk has gotten sick of them. Makes sense, really. I mean, 20 years of them. Time for a break. I'm not sure why they dropped the guitars out, but it works for the overall tone of the album. // 8

Lyrics: I've seen a lot of complaints about the lyrical style of this album. This was the first Metallica album where the entire band had a hand in what was said. Thus, it has varying views. It was written before and immediately after James' rehab period. Thus, it's a very introspective album. The lyrics are meant to express the feelings that James used to always hide with a bottle. James seems to be screaming a bit more than usual, but I've never really expected true singing from him. The vocal "harmonies" were an interesting touch, used quite well. // 10

Overall Impression: As I said, this isn't Metallica's best, but it isn't their worst, either. My favourite songs are (in order of track listing) "Some Kind Of Monster," "Invisible Kid," "Sweet Amber," and "The Unnamed Feeling" (my favourite). I don't like the snare Lars uses, but I love the bass drum speed stomping. Through looking at tabs, I find that the third and fifth frets got used a bit too much, but most of the riffs were still quite effective. Overall, I'm reasonably happy with St. Anger. It did take a few listens to get used to it, but it eventually grew on me. If it were lost/stolen, I'd probably borrow it from a friend and rip it, or download it (I don't have 20 bucks right now). // 8

St. Anger Reviewed by: broken_leg, on april 13, 2005

Sound: This album cops a lot of s--t from people but really it isn't so bad. It's quite different from their other songs, it has a faster, more intense sort of sound. The guitar was ok, there was a few decent riffs in there, and the bass wasn't too bad. But I didn't like the drums, they just sounded like s--t I reckon. Pity there was no solos. I have seen a few of these songs performed live by Metallica and they sounded like s--t. About the same quality as my mate's band who jam in a shed every week. // 6

Lyrics: Lyrics weren't that good, a lot of the shit didn't make sense to me but sound ok when your not paying attention to them. I found that James was dribbling some quality shit in this album. My thought is that they have been creating awesome music for 20 years or something and they have passed their peak and are running out of material. James' voice also wasn't up to scratch. // 6

Overall Impression: Although this album doesn't come close to some of their previous ones, judging it on its own value its pretty decent (nothing spectacular but I still pop it in my cd player every now and then). Before I heard this album I didn't really listen to Metallica but it still managed to get me into the band. Best songs I thought were Some Kind Of Monster, Unnamed Feeling, Invisible Kid and My World. If it was lost or stolen I wouldn't pay for it again but I would probably burn it off someone. // 6

St. Anger Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 18, 2005

Sound: It's different, and hard to identify with past Metallica albums. I wasn't quite expecting this level of 'unoriginality' from them. I almost think I'm listening to some other band when I'm playing St. Anger in my car. I don't know why they didn't clean up the studio production for each cut, but it almost sounds like they 'glossed' over the tracks with minimal attention to detail. All in all, I was was expecting music from the older days. // 6

Lyrics: I think the lyrics were OK on some songs, but, I can't for the life of me understand what the hell James is doing in St. Anger, when he says 'You flush it out, you flush it out.' Did Fred Durst write this part of the song? Shoot Me Again is not that original, and who the hell is the 'Invisible Kid,' which also has a horrible middle part where James is saying 'What a good boy he was.' Wtf is that? But, Frantic's lyrics I can identify with (an endless stream of fear that I've made). I guess this is James thinking about his days in Rehab. Some Kind Of Monster is the best written song on this album. I guess thats why they named the movie after this song. // 6

Overall Impression: Overall, I still play this album with my other Metallica and metal albums, because I can't stand listening to radio. St. Anger has kinda grown on me. When I'm feeling in a road-rage mood, I crank up Frantic and tell everyone to 'get the f--k off the road!' Usually, though, if I have it playing in the CD when someone else is riding with me, they can't stand even a minute of it, so I kill'em with some other metal s--t. All in all, I expect Metallica to be coming out with another studio album with-in their 'standard' 7 year envelope. Average at best. // 6

St. Anger Reviewed by: travislausch, on june 07, 2006

Sound: Now, the album's been out for close to 3 years, so it's had a lot of time to sink in. At first, the album was utterly disappointing, lacking in the kind of material that make metalica an enjoyable band in the past. By now, I'm used to the drum sound, and even welcome it. Just as a side note, the drum sounds on Dream Theater's "Images And Words" album are annoying too, since the snares are triggered, and every snare hit sounds the same, and yet that album is a classic. Once you get used to St. Anger's drum sound, there's not much left to dislike. The lack of guitar solos and polished production may be seen as another point where the album is lacking, and they're mostly right, but there is still enough going on musically with this album to challenge most people. The question should not be whether or not this album needs the "fundamental elements of a metal album" to be good, but rather whether or not this album is an enjoyable listen. For the uninitiated, this album does not deliver. This album is for the Metallica purists. The sound itself is muddy, the bass is inaudible, as usual, and there still needs to be a lot of polishing to make this record sound less like a demo tape. With a little more polishing, this album could have been a great one. Not even the "normal" snare drum sound or some guitar solos are needed to make this a good album. Though a couple of guitar solos would have been nice, since we all know what Kirk's capable of. // 7

Lyrics: This is the album's major failing. While the lyrics are far more personal and introspective than on previous releases, they also show that the band is still struggling to find its own voice. Many of the lines seem rather juvenile, like this is the first time they've ever written lyrics. Of course, a few of the songs have their lyrical moments, like the anthemic verses of "Some Kind Of Monster" and "Invisible Kid", and "The Unnamed Feeling" does have a more haunting vibe to it. James' vocal delivery is as raw and uncut as it gets, where you can actually hear his voice shaking a bit in places. Though his voice is rather harsh most of the time, he does lay down a few gentler passages on songs like "The Unnamed Feeling" and "Invisible Kid". Overall, the lyrics and vocals on this album are the biggest disappointment to me. // 5

Overall Impression: While the album is littered with nu-metal references, it's still undeniably a Metallica album from start to finish. If the band decided to continue on this path, but fix the problems with it, and perhaps bring back Kirk's lead guitar stylings, I would not be disappointed. But as it stands, this album is really more of a fans-only ordeal. Another aspect I'll delve into is the packaging. The album comes in a cardboard-ish digipack, which I found to be quite flimsy, though the packaging is indeed pretty flashy. It's quite clear that they put a lot of work into the packaging, but the materials are low-quality. The included DVD shows the band rehearsing the album in full, and honestly, the album sounds no different from the rehearsals, which can be counted as a plus for the band to play the album live. If this album were stolen, I'd buy another copy after a while once I actually feel like listening to it. It's not a classic album, it's not underrated, but it's also very misunderstood, and should be accepted for what it is as a part of the band's history. It's not a bad album by many standards, but it doesn't quite live up to what many Metallica fans expect. // 8

St. Anger Reviewed by: METSOAD, on june 08, 2006

Sound: This is the record that has divided more opion than the rest of their extensive back catalouge which includes "Re-Load" and "Master Of Puppets". It has caused debates on countless fan websites and other internet forums such as this one and countless others. So I decided to loan it off a freind and give it a shot to find out what all the fuss was about and then it hit me, this was not an ordinary record. The Guitars were raw and vicious in a way rarley ever heard before. There were no guitar solos which would annoy the hardcore fans like myself but I found that it was not the end of the world. There is lead parts but they are mainly harmonies but they work extremly well with the orginal riffs The Drums were almost unproduced with a really loud and almost unprofessional sound which still manages to be utter genius and hugley powerful. The bass is the low part of the album but it was not the excellent Rob who recorded it but the rather average Bob Rock. It is not neccesarily Metallica but it is certainly vicious and in your face. // 10

Lyrics: These are just about the most personal and most deep lyrics I have ever heard on any record. The simplistic yet agonising words of the likes of Some Kind of Monster and Invisable Kid made a real impact to the overall feel of the song. They appear to have really gone to town with things such as the raido station nonsence during the recording of the album in "Sweet Amber", the actual survival of the band in "Some Kind Of Monster" and Lars taking crap from no-one over the napstar court case in "Shoot Me Again" as well as the anxiety felt by James Hetfeild is a couple of songs such as "The Unnamed Feeling" and "Invisable Kid". This album's lyrics won't be everyones cup of tea but it definatly shows that music can be this deep without being all spaced out and complicated. // 10

Overall Impression: Frantic is the opening track and almost put me off the entire album, it is dreadful, found nothing except a few good riffs here and there to stop it being totally dreadful. The Title Track is repetitive lyrically but still manages to hook a listener into delving deeper into what lyrics are there. The chorus in this song is absolutly phenominal with brilliant singing and playing from Hetfeild and superb drumming from Lars Ulrich. Some Kind Of Monster is one of the highlights of the album with some excellent lead bits from Kirk and in the middle bit of the song, a couple of vicious and battering riffs, with more great singing. Dirty Window just bored the life of me in all departments, apart from some rather intresting lyrics. Invisable Kid sounds surprisingly liker older Metallica and is better for it. The Riffs are simple yet heavy as hell while the lyrics are catchy as well as a very good peice of creative writing and the drumming is simply great. My World is a song to listen to when you need a large boost of confidence "Its My World, Sucker" is a line that can give anyone short of confidence a massive boot up the bum just by the very nature of its riffs and vocals. The first breakdown is awesome. Shoot Me Again is a lyrical represntation of a man who has had a really bad day and is possibly at his most ticked off. Lars wrote the lyrics about his run ins with Napstar and Fred Durst and it shows. The Riffs in this song sound like they came out of an extensive jamming session and are racous and loud. Sweet Amber has an intresting beginning and a quite frankly wondeful chorus, shame about the fact that it could have had an intresting lead bit and it could have been a bit longer. The Unnamed Feeling is another of the albums highlights, with some of the heavier but less raw riffs on the album and some brilliant lead bits by Kirk Hammet, proving that he can do harmonies as well as insane shred solos. Purify is another bore fest, except for the cool and rather random outro. All Within My Hands is written about the departure of ex-bassit Jason Newstead, almost a tribute because it sounds a bit li, e something he could have put together himself. But it is also the most diabolical example of music production since the entire "...And Justice For All" album. The guitars get lots of feed back, there are lots of mistakes and the bass is simply inaudible. However, it is a great song with excellent lyrics and some stonking riffage. Overall, it is actually a great record. As about as uplifting as a lead weight and about a heavy as one as well. It is a new kind of monster that has not been unleashed unto our ears before. Its not for the fans, not even the hardcore "Load/Reload" hating fans. It is for the three men who wrote it for 3 years despite addiction, hartred of each other and themselves, legal difficulties and THAT meeting between Lars and Dave Mustaine. One quick tip, if you want to understand this album fully, see the "Some Kind Of Monster" film which will fill you in on all the gory details I just described. This is and always will be an opinion splitting, friendship ending balls out thrash metal album that everybody has something to say about. // 10

St. Anger Reviewed by: boyan89, on july 01, 2006

Sound: The sound on this album is amazing, I can't believe people are still bitching about this album, it is really good and it is heavy. Kirk and James decided to try something different and I think it was pretty well worked out with the guitar breakdown's in every song which by the way is pretty cool. The drums are really, really cool too with amazing drum beats from Lars and his pounding bass drums. The bass is really cool too I can't believe people are bitching about Metallica's new bassist is awesome. So the sound was was actually pretty amazing even without the solos it is still a really good album. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are amamzing on this album, and they do make sense on this album. I love it when Kirk and the rest of the band do the backup vocals its pretty sweet like in the song "Unnamed Feeling" when Kirk does the intro and says been here before like 6 times. The ending too Some Kind Of Monster is funny when they are chanting "Ominous I'm In Us" like 7 times. // 10

Overall Impression: This album is all out pure metal. It is not classic but still it is good metal and it is Metallica. I love everything about the album and I hate nothing about it. If it were lost I would defenitely buy it again. Get this album if you are a true metal fan or else! // 10

St. Anger Reviewed by: Shreddin 4 Life, on july 07, 2006

Sound: Metallica's sound on St. Anger proved to be an excellent disappointment. The guitar riffage is much more simplified than ever, not to mention the lack of soloing throughout-even in epic-length songs of 8 and a half minutes! Furthermore, Lars Ulrich, who was once renowned for his great drum sounds, seemed to have gotten so caught up with other commitments, that he must have forgotten hoe to tighten a snare drum, because throughout this album, it sounds like an empty tin can. A friend of mine lent it to me a while back, and even after watchin the "Some Kind Of Monster" DVD, I still couldn't find myself enjoying this CD! // 4

Lyrics: The lyrics however on this album are very well organized and thought out if you even bother to look through the booklet as I did. They go well with the themes and ideas portrayed on this CD, but ubfortunately, James delivers his worst vocal preformance yet and he single-handedly makes the lyrics on this album lose a lot of their meaning. // 5

Overall Impression: "St. Anger" will never impede nor overshadow any of Metallica's earlier works. The performances proved very disappointing, but still have enough energy to keep you listening to the entire album. On the other hand, like most Metallica fans, I found myself getting into tracks such as "Frantic" & "Sweet Amber". But the rest of the tunes don't seem to have as good a hook and therefore make this album very much useless to fans of Metallica's earlier works such as "Master Of Puppets" or the multi-successful "Metallica". Knowing that I don't own a copy of this album is actually quite a relief, but a few of the tunes (like the above mentioned ones) are still worth checking out for die hard fans. // 5

St. Anger Reviewed by: Shabalaba, on february 20, 2007

Sound: It's a heavy sound, with cool riffs, not very fast but still good. It annoys me when people dismiss this album as rubbish because it isnt like master of puppets, that is one metallica album, they are different now get over it. Metallica have agood heavy sound, early meatllica is speed metal, I like that aswell but newer metallica has slower but heavyer riffs. I love this album. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are very good, most people say they are rubbish because they have only lissened to Frantic "Fran tick tick tick tock", true that bit doesnt't make a lot of sence on it's own but with other bits it does. The lyrics in Sweet Amber and Some kind Of Monster are fabulous, "wash your back so you wont stab mine" is a excellent line, the story behind it is that the radio said if you don't do this then we will not play your songs, give bad reviews etc. // 10

Overall Impression: Comparing to other albums it's way at the top if not the top, I think it's fabulous, good riffs, good lyrics, the DVD Some Kind Of Monster behind the making of this album, is excellent I wrote a review of that aswell. very very good in general. If it were lost I would deffo get a new one. // 10

St. Anger Reviewed by: dark_falco3000, on november 18, 2008

Sound: Raw, passionate and aggressive are three words that I'd use to describe this album. That makes it sound pretty good, doesn't it? Don't be fooled. This album may have a raw sound, it may be very aggressive, and it may be filled with passion, but in the end, this album still sucks. Something that seems to annoy many people is the production quality. Honestly, I don't mind that much. If one of the classics like MoP, AJFA etc. had worse quality, would they not still be masterpieces? The main thing that annoys me is the lyrical and compositional quality. There's barely anything there. The songs could've easily been conmposed by a crappy nu-metal band. The lyrics could've been written by some angsty high school dropout. Just about every song has been stretched out way too far, with riffs being repeated ridiculous amounts of time (the beginning of "Some Kind of Monster" should be enough to make you see what I'm talking about). However, it's not all negative. The thing I do like about this album is how much passion there is in it. You can particularly hear it in Hetfield's voice. Listen to the song Frantic. When he goes, "Frantic-tic-tic-tic-tic-tic-toc, you can really hear the passion in is voice, and by the end he's breathlessly screaming it. Let's not forget the fact that there is not one single solo on this metallica album. That's right, you heard me. A Metallica album without a single solo. What happened to Hammet's skills? And let's not forget about the drums. Dear god, the drums. It's not that Lars does a bad job on this album, the drumming is actually pretty intense. But on this album, the snare sounds like a freaking trash can lid. In the end, I was definitely not impressed. Load and ReLoad were bad enough, but when the Load phase ended, I was hoping they'd go back to real metal. They made it eventually, but not before this abysmal pit stop from hell. // 3

Lyrics: The lyrics on this album annoy me greatly. James Hetfield has come up with some real masterpieces when it comes to lyrics, so what the hell is up with this crap? I know, a lot of you will say that after 30 years and 7 albums, coming up with good lyrics may be hard. That means they can drop in quality a bit. Not from excellent to pure crap in one step. Half the time it sounds like they're trying to make it rhyme. Like these lyrics from the title track: "I feel my world shake, like an earth quake. Hard to see clear, is it me? is it fear?" Terrible, right? That's not even the worst of it. They truly have every type of bad lyrics here. Lyrics that are just plain terrible (which the album is full of), lyrics that are ripped off songs that they've already made (The line from the title track, "f--k it all and no regrets, I hit the lights on these dark sets" is basically a rip off their Master of Puppets song, "Damage Inc."), they've even got some emo angsty crap (Invisible Kid is full of this crap). As for the vocal delivery, well it's... raw and passionate. One of the only things I like about this album. James Hetfield's voice is full of passion. As previously mentioned, there's the bit in Frantic. Then, there's also the part in "Dirty Window" where he's pretty much yelling out "Projector, protector, rejector" etc. You really can hear the passion in his voice. Overall, the lyrics are pure crap. You can find masterpieces on almost all the other albums, but if you want any good lyrics at all, stay the hell away from this album. As for vocals, if you're looking for messy but raw and passionate vocals, I guess this is a good album for that. // 2

Overall Impression: And now, I'll split this album up into the individual tracks. 01.Frantic: ah the opening track. This one isn't too bad. The guitars are... interesting, if nothing else. The snare doesn't sound as bad as on other tracks. The lyrics... aren't great, but seem to be better than on other tracks. And of course, there's the chorus, where James passionately almost screams, "Frantic-tic-tic-tic-tic-toc!" I'm not saying that this song is great, but it is tolerable, unlike most of this album. 02.St. Anger: here we are, the title track. So many things wrong with this song. Here you can clearly hear the trash can lid style snare drums as soon as they're played. Did that hurt your ears enough? It's not over yet. A simple beat is played next, one that would usually sound fitting. But in this case it's just going to make you scream in agony as the clashing, ringing sound of the snare drum is played over and over again. And next? Well enter the abysmal lyrics. "St. Anger on my neck, he never gets respect"... what the hell is that? Again, it sounds as though they may just be trying to rhyme. And then this verse is played again, but with a more crappy and mainstream-ish sound, as "You flush it out, you flush it out!" is sung in the background. Then, of course, the chorus, which starts off by ripping off one of their masterpieces (Damage Inc.), and ends up by with the incredibly lame line, "I'm madly in anger with you". Finally, the chorus is over. Your ears can take a break. Wait, that's not right. The whole thing is done over again! As if it wasn't torture enough the first time! And it's exactly the same, crappy lyrics and all! Then the ear splitting intro is played again, with the bridge on top. Of course, you can expect more abysmal lyrics here. Truly, this is one of the worst songs you'll ever hear. Avoid at all costs! Or, use as a torture device! 03.Some kind of monster: this song has been stretched to hell. They took a 3-4 minute song and turned it into an 8 minute song. Now, don't get me wrong, I love long songs. But this song isn't a long song. It's a stretched out normal length song. It's incredibly repetitive. Listen to how much each riff in the intro is played over and over again. And then, well the song starts. This is James at his worst on the album. It's more rapping than anything else in the verses, and the verses each go on for what should be 2 verses. See what I mean when I say it's stretched to hell? The chorus is incredibly unimpressive, and all around, this song is just boring. 04.Dirty Window: finally, another tolerable song. After the last 2 tracks, we need one of these, don't we? The lyrics really aren't that bad in this song, at least better than the rest of this album, and the guitars are both aggressive and catchy, a fairly good mix. But for me, the high point of this album is when James yells out "Projector, protector, rejector, infector! Projector, rejector, infector, injector, defector, rejector, detector!" They're probably just words that are made to rhyme, like a lot of the rest of this album, but the delivery is so passionate. 05.Invisible Kid: the worst thing about this song by far are the lyrics. Another example of just trying to rhyme, and ending up with incredibly crappy lyrics. Not only that, but the lyrics get incredibly angsty. "I hide inside, I hurt inside, I hid inside but I'll show you"... does that not sound slightly angsty to you? Take a look at the lyrics for the whole song. A good thing is that the snare seems to be pushed more into the background, so in this case it's not mind blowing ear splitting agony. There's a breakdown towards the end which isn't that bad. You can hear the passion from just about the entire band, particularly Lars. Aside from that, this song was stretched, the lyrics are ridiculously crap (even by this album's standard), and overall it's just unimpressive. 06.My World: this song has some catchy riffs... but not in a good way. You remember the bluesy style of Load and ReLoad? well you can hear it again in this song, now with the epic sounds of trash can lids banging together, and really crappy lyrics. Repetitive, boring, and just all around bad, imo, this is just another one to skip. 07.Shoot me again: another song with catchy guitar lines. This one isn't that bad. Again, you can hear the passion in this song, and the chorus does stretch on for a bit, but it's probably the best part of the song anyway. The biggest flaw is the pre-chorus. It carries on for way too long, and is too repetitive. With the whole "Shoot me again, I ain't dead yet", and then "Shoot me again, shoot me again, come on" or whatever, with the amount of times that those lines are repeated, it gets way too tedious. The bridge is pure aggresiveness, and I guess it compliments the raw sound of the album. The last chorus is played much more aggressively and passionately than before, but I think they went a bit over the top with it. Aside from that, this is one of the better songs on the album. 08.Sweet Amber: this is the second shortest song on the album, and it's so incredibly raw. The intro I found fairly unnecessary (the clean bit), it just takes away from the atmosphere set by the rest of the song. And the next riff was repeated a few too many times before getting to the point. But when you hit the lyrics, you'll probably hear what I mean when I say how raw this song is, particularly the chorus. It actually has some decent transitions between soft and hard, and unlike a lot of the other songs, the music actually complements the vocal styles. And the breakdown's pretty good, much better than what I was expecting, and leads perfectly into the next section. Lyrics still aren't anything special, but this is one of the ones you may want to listen to, though it is a little repetitive. 09.Unnamed Feeling: this song had potential to be pretty good... but many things ruined it. Parts of the song didn't suit other parts. It was too dragged out, as though they were trying to bore you. The unnecessary dragged out notes, the repetition, it's all quite boring. And the bridge is too angsty. The passion's definitely there. You can hear it from all the band members. But overall, aside from that, unimpressive song. 10.Purify: this song is incredibly aggressive, and equally as repetitive, which is surprising because it's the shortest song, so it's not a short song that's been stretched to hell like the rest of the songs on this album, it's just a repetitive song. The vocals and lyrics in the verses sound like a massive joke. Seriously, it is that bad. James is out of key in the chorus, and the chorus drags on for way too long. The breakdown also repeats itself way too much, then leads back into the chorus. The outro bit's not too bad. And that's about it. 11.All within my hands: this song is somewhere in the middle on the album... not one of the really bad ones, but not one of the not-as-bad ones. As with most songs on this album, it's been stretched too much. But the raw emotion in this song can be heard so clearly, and the transfers from clean soft riffs to sheer aggressiveness has got to be worth something. The lyrics are more coherent than most of the album, but not some of the best, and definitely still not very good at all. The ending is almost comical as Hetfield screams out "Kill! Kill! Kill! Kill! Kill!" over and over again. In the end, they could've ended the album off worse. It wasn't a bad close. Conclusively, this album sucks compared to Metallica classics like Ride the Lightning, Kill 'em All,... And Justice for All, and, of course, Master of Puppets. There are some high points, and some low points, but almost the entire thing was stretched out way too much, and the lyrics are truly crap. The aggressiveness of this album can only carry it so far, and in the end the bad qualities far outweigh the good. If you want to hear some real metal, pick up one of the albums I mentioned earlier in this paragraph. If you want your brain to explode from the sounds of trash can banging, terrible lyrics and a complete lack of solos, well go ahead and listen to this album. In the end, Metallica redeemed themselves at least slightly with the release of the following record, Death Magnetic, which in itself is proof that the legends of metal have not run out of ideas for classic riffs, great lyrics and all around good music. // 4

St. Anger Reviewed by: SGofawesome, on january 26, 2010

Sound: Metallica. Considered the pioneer of thrash metal(I believe Slayer to be just that). Their sound is great in the psat, but let's consider St. Anger. The production is good, take out the snare and it's great. The vocals are a bit overpowering, but the bass is lacking. Good sound, if you're looking into the nu-metal type. Not so great sound if you're looking for Metallica. // 8

Lyrics: When I rate the lyrics, I wanna rate it song by song. 01. Frantic: good lyrics, but really repetitive. 02. St.Anger: even more repetitive. Lyrics are terrible. 03. Some Kind Of Monster: not repetitive, but the lyrics are rushed and relate nothing to the song. 04. Dirty Window: great lyrics here, most nu-metal song on album besides unnamed feeling. 05. Invisible Kid: repetitive once again, but smooth sound. 06. My World: great lyrics here, up until the chorus that is. 07. Shoot Me Again: worst lyrics on album. 08. Sweet Amber: solid lyrics, smooth vocals, i listen to this song for hetfield's voice. 09. The Unnamed Feeling: best vocals on the album, Smooth sound, and nice bite at the bridge. 10. Purify: repetitive, but good lyrics, nice bite 11. All Within My Hands: not very creative here, but i like the KILL KILL ending. Hetfield has some mad singing skills, but doesn't put his best foot forward on this album. // 9

Overall Impression: I've always liked reading reviews song by song, and I'm pretty sure you guys do too, so I'll break it down song by song. 01. Frantic: my personal favorite on the album, the first single of the album. It has a nice chorus, unless you don't like repetitiveness, but I get past it. This is a song for die-hard Metallica fans. Altogether, one of the best on the album. 9/10 02. St. Anger: the second single on the album, the self-titled track is a good listen the first few times. It got old for me quick, but it has the fastest double kicking from Lars ever. Good song, but extremely repetitive. 7.5/10 03. Some Kind Of Monster: the third single, this song isn't that great, the lyrics are creative but doesn't make much sense. Even more repetitive than the other songs, but has an ending that surprised me. A strange riff that comes out of nowhere. If you're not a big fan, you won't like it. 6.5/10 04. Dirty Window: this is where the heavy picks back up. The song has a perfect opportunity for an amazing solo to come in, but it doesn't. Has nice guitar, pretty nice lyrics, a favorite of the album. 8/10 05. Invisible Kid: the longest song on the album, this on is also pretty good. Nice bass by Rob, but the lyrics aren't special. A good listen once in a while. 7.5/10 06. My World: man, I hate this song, but I've heard others say it's pretty good. I like the intro and the first verse, "motherf--kers got into my head, trying to make me someone else instead." But the chorus is atrocious. Everything else is terrible. Worst song on the album by far. 4/10 07. Shoot Me Again: hoping it gets better, but it doesn't quite yet. Another horrible chorus, the guitar isn't special, this song is a low point too. Slighty better than the last though. 4.5/10 08. Sweet Amber: this song has a peaceful yet muddy intro that eases the frustration of the last two songs. Then it gets a little heavier. Decent song, but still not out of that slump yet. 6/10 09. The Unnamed Feeling: the fourth single, oh yes, we are finally out of the crapper. The best song on the album, amazing guitar, some of the best lyrics to ever come out of hetfield's voice, a peaceful chorus, then a rant of swearing which really fits with the song. About how he wants to get out of his crazy mind. Everything about this song is amazing, probably the only song on this album that would qualify for a greatest hits album.Check out the video. 10/10 10. Purify: still heavy, but slows down a bit. The great lyrics go nowhere, unless repetitiveness bugs you. Sweet guitar, amazing drums, except for that snare drum i've failed to mention. Good follow up to the Unnamed Feeling. 8/10 11. All Within My Hands: the closer, not the greatest way to close an album, doesn't really get good until the last 3 minutes of the album. A lot of "KILL KILL KILL" shouting. Not a great song. 7/10 Overall, this album is for Die-hard Metallica fans only. If this album were made under any different name besides Metallica, it would be gold. If you consider it a metal album, it is shit. But if you consider it a nu-metal album, which is what was big in '03, it is the shit. Buy if you like sludgy music, but if you want to see Metallica progressing, this is a fail. I don't care much about the unexistence of solos, I like the album. I absolutely hate that clanky snare, and the lyrics could've been better. If I lost this album, I would definitely buy it again. Don't forget about the bonus DVD! // 7

St. Anger Reviewed by: LucasGtrGod, on september 05, 2003

Sound: The first thing you notice about this C.D. is that it has got a very dirty guitar sound to itwhich is good in a way because it suits the style of the album completely and the album has definetly got a thick and full sound to it. Lars is great on the drums with fast double kick and relentless pounding makes for very intense moments on the album especiallly in St. Anger. The new addition Robert Trujilo is great on the bass he just seems to lock into the groove and give the music much more depth than ever before. Overall this album sounds great except for a few songs. My main hassle is the lack of solos which really lets it down but luckily the song are strong enough that the can stand up without a solo. // 8

Lyrics: First thing I have to see is that these lyrics are great. They're deep and personal and every word touches you nad it leaves you thinking "what really was that song about". Another thing I have to say is that the lyrics and singing go great with the music, like in Frantic during the verse the way he's kinda of shouting works great with the music, or during the unnamed feeling he sound really desperate during the verses and during the chorus soft and sad. overall his skills as a singer aren't bad but during some parts of the album he really sounds like $###. But on the most part his lyrics are touching and powerful. // 8

Overall Impression: I think tihs album just blows away all other albums released in the last 3 months just from its mood and power. The songs that I reckon are the best are: Frantic: for its heavy feel, St. Anger, The Unnamed Feeling, All within my hands. You are doing yourself a great favor by buying this album it just plainly and simply rocks, if it were lost and stolen i'd definetly buy it again or going looking for the punk and show him the tarmac. Buy this album because it's just 75+ minutes of joy. // 10

St. Anger Reviewed by: Metal Matt, on october 15, 2003

Sound: This is an album that seriously lacks in sound quality. But this begs the question, "was it meant to be that way or did Metallica (and Bob Rock) just screw up royally?" I believe that this album's dirty, underproduced sound was intentional... and stupid. The guitars on this album are all droptuned. The riffs are ok. Some parts sound really cool and other parts are more along the lines of, "When's another cool part coming up?" The drums... well there's a lot of skill being displayed by Lars but unfortunately he's displaying it on a Folger's coffee can. The bass on this album is actually pretty good. Granted Rob Trujillo had absolutely nothing to do with it. And as for lead guitar... is Kirk even on this album? Maybe the guys just pulled a prank on him like they did on Jason during Justice when they turned his amps way down. Maybe Kirk really is soloing and the amps are just so quiet we can't hear him. Maybe they were great solo's. Maybe this was the best thrash album of all time... yea right. // 6

Lyrics: The lyrics on this album are just average. There are some cool parts like during Frantic where he does the "tic tic tic tock" thing, but unfortunately it's preceeded by the lyrics "My lifestyle determines my deathstyle" which is just stupid. Also think about the song St. Anger. It's 8 minutes long and only has one verse, a chorus, and a bridge. Really could have trimmed about 4 minutes off of that one. Also for the reason of sounding underproduced they decided to keep all the times when James sang out of key. // 6

Overall Impression: This is by far Metallica's worst album. It does have it's moments but it's tough to make up for all the crap on the album. There are some really good songs on this album too. The unnamed feeling has an Unforgiven feeling to it and is definently one of the best. Also Sweet Amber, My Life, and Invisible Kid have a definent 'old school Tallica' felling to them. However, the best part of this album is that it makes me optimistic for the future. Metallica is moving towards heavier faster music. All they have to now is work the kinks out and we're back in business. // 6

St. Anger Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 04, 2003

Sound: Sound wise, st anger is nowhere the master of puppets days although the album is filled with riffs left right and centre they just don't have that hook they used to. Kirk and James downtune in st anger for that "heavy shit" sound which sounds alright and as usual plenty of gain. Bob Rock performed the bass duties and did an o.k job although the only track you actually take notice of the bass is "shoot me again". Lars needs his drum tech fired for tightening the snare that much, seriously it will give you a god damn headache. Overall sounds o.k. No innovations really just doing whats been done before many times before. // 6

Lyrics: The lyrics seem very personal to James Hetfield after his rehab fiasco but can sound quite cheesy and "limpbizkit" at times like "I'm madly in anger with you" in St anger. A big problem with the album is the fact that in every song every verse and chorus and...well just everything is repeated 10,000 times over. Overall pretty good! // 8

Overall Impression: If you are new to Metallica log off the internet and go to the local HMV to pick up a copy of "...and justice for all" because if you get st anger first you will get a false impression of Metallica because st anger is unlike anything else they have produced. In saying that this album can be enjoyed greatly also the free DVD is in my opinion far better than the CD and showcases Lars on bouble bass and a descent snare and the best guitarists on the planet. If I lost st anger I would copy it from a friend I wouldn't go out and buy it again. Now if everyone would go out and buy "...and justice for all" and "master of puppets" everyone could marvel in the magnifisence that is the metallica experience! // 8

St. Anger Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 18, 2003

Sound: As far as music goes, I think that this album is very creative. The guys have stepped away from a lot of the riffs they used frequently on the Load and ReLoad albums and several preceeding records. The drums seem to clang more than they crack, the cymbals just stop abruptly, sometimes the guitars will fall behind beat, and there are no guitar solos on this album, but that doesn't stop it or even obstruct it from being a great album. // 10

Lyrics: Writing lyrics was always a task James Hetfield reserved for himself. Not this time. This is the first album on which Kirk Hamett and Lars Ulrich helped write lyrics. These lyrics aren't too bad, considering it's the first time that the whole band wrote them. James Hetfield sometimes seems to "oversing" and fall off key, but as with the music, it doesn't stop St. Anger from being a great record. // 10

Overall Impression: I remember reading on this site a while ago that Jonathan Davis of Korn said that St. Anger was one of the crappiest things he'd ever heard in his life because of the clanging drums, the vocals, and no solos. He has absolutely no right whatsoever saying this. He couldn't hit a Middle C if his life depended on it, his guitarists are absolutely talentless, and in the long run, Korn is one of the worst acts the music industry has ever seen. Metallica's St. Anger is one of the most impressive albums I have ever heard. The best songs on it are Frantic, St. Anger, Sumkinda Monster, The Unnamed Feeling, My World, and All Within My Hands. I love everything about this album, except for the total lack of guitar solos. If it were lost or stolen, there is no chance that you wouldn't see me at a record store buying a new copy. It is worth every dime. // 10

St. Anger Reviewed by: armendra, on december 09, 2003

Sound: The sound of the albums is great. I think that to call a band like this a sell out is to deny what they have done for the past twenty years. The guitars in the songs are different from the past metallica but innovation is what make metallica, metallica. Yes I would have wanted a little more soloing but the songs don't need it. If anyone has a problem with the sound of this albums, start a band play for twenty years and see if you sound the same as you did twenty years earlier. // 8

Lyrics: Metallicahs never had probelm with lyrics. This album is great for lyrics. Many people would argue different because of the lyrics on the past albums. Again they are past albums so the lyrics represent different things in the bands life as does this CD's. The lyrics , I think, are a reflection of what the band has been thgrough recently as well as the past twenty years. // 8

Overall Impression: Though it may not be like any of the other albums they have released it is as equal strong for the time they released it in. This Cd is well worth buying. It shows metallica using there sound in a new way. Yeah it may turn away fans of the older metallica but so did the black album. // 8

St. Anger Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 06, 2004

Sound: It's like Slipknot or Staind or some other nu metal bullshit band's shitty left overs. When I heard the first single, I didn't know it was 'tallica til Hetfield starting singing. They used to be ground breaking and innovative, with a fuck you attitude, but now it's all Hollywood trash. Bob Rock sucks as a producer and a bass player. Bring back Fleming Rasmussen! Horrible production value. Ulrich was playing marching band drums on this album. Worst sounding Tallica album ever! No solos!?! Kirk Hammett is a fucking guitar god, but you couldn't tell from this album. // 2

Lyrics: Sweet Amber? Invisible Kid? Frantic-tic-tic-tic-tic-toc? What? Que? These lyrics are worse than the ones I wrote as a frustrated 14 year old. Crap crap crap. That's all I can really say. I could neither relate or understand anything sung on this album. crap. Most of the songs only have about 30 words for the verse and the chorus. What happened to the beautiful poetry of ...And Justice For All? The awe inspiring Master of Puppets? The thought provoking Ride the Lightning? What happened to it? It's on sale for $3.95 down at the local Sam Goody. Crap. // 2

Overall Impression: Their worst to date. Nothing impressive. I hate everything about it. I would never buy again or recommend this album to anyone. It was not worth the 12 bucks I spent. Metallica was the first band that I evere got into. When I was 11 or so, I saw the video for Wherever I May Roam before school one day. I was hooked. I got into heavy music(Slayer, Megadeth, M.O.D.), and punk (Misfits, Black Flag, Dead Kennedys) thanks to them. I've been a loyal fan for 10 years, half of my life. I defended Load and ReLoad, and bought everything with their music in it(soundtracks, compilations). This fucking album was the last straw. Maybe Hetfield should start drinking again. Thanks for alienating another fan, motherf**kers. // 2

St. Anger Reviewed by: saiyanmetalhead, on february 24, 2004

Sound: Well, where to start with St. Anger....definitely not what I expected from the metal gods themselves but it was still pretty impressive. The riffs are still hard, grungy, and full of what categorizes passionate aggressive music, but come on now, where are the solos. While solo's dont make the music it still hurt a little to not hear kirk really tear it up and continue showing why he is a master on the guitar. My only real complaint about St. Anger was the horrible snare drum sound. It just took too much time and effort to actually get used to the hollow empyty shell sound it produced. However, I do like the fact that Metallica continues to change and grow over time showing that they aren't a band on a one way street and that they can continue to try new styles. So overall St. Anger has a good quality sound with good riffs that express Rock at its finest, just work on the snare next time guys. // 8

Lyrics: James Hetfield is still the man when it comes to writing deep personal lyrics. He fully expressed his frustrations and anger really well after coming off of issues he dealt with during his rehab. Now granted these weren't his best lyrics they were still pretty damn good. My only complaint about his new lyrics is that he was a little too repitive at times, especially with repeating the chorus one too many times in songs such as "Frantic" and "St. Anger", and he also didn't get much variety into the lyrics as previous albums such as the Black Album and Reload. However, James still continues to do what he does best in expressing his emotions and pouring his soul out into his music, great job James! // 8

Overall Impression: Compared to older Metallica albums this isn't the best work they've produced or what many fans were expecting, because honestly the first time I listened to the cd I was shocked at hearing no solos and deterring away from the metal Metallica was famous for playing. However, just as the Black Album changed Metallica musically and was their breakthrough into God status, St. Anger could very well be a good stepping stone to lead off of into the future of Metallica. Great things about the album were that James continues to pour his heart into his lyrics and let out his frustrations on the world, there was a good variation of music ranging from hard aggressive Metal such as "The Unnamed Feeling" to a lighter more hard rock feel in songs such as "Some Kind of Monster" and the band still kicks ass no matter what they play. Only complaints about the album include no soloing, yes I realize this doesnt make music but not hearing Kirk continue to innovate on the guitar was a little disappointing, and fix that damn snare drum. The CD is definately worth buying if you are a TRUE fan who can accept change and trial periods for a band that was struggling when they produced this cd and I can't wait for the future of Metallica to continue shocking the world and further demonstrating why they are the greatest band of all time. Rock on Metallica we love you. // 8

St. Anger Reviewed by: moe123, on march 04, 2004

Sound: Yea the drums did suck a lot...I think the guys lost their attitude..though they were hurting themselves when drinking too much, they made up for it in good music....The drums csounded dead..my marching band snare had a better tone that that....uhh cymbals suddenly stopping? WTF!?! It was gay...it really was..if you listen to them on the MTV icon recording, the drums sounded a lot better...Bob rock shud get out...he added a indy or softy style pop sound to the music....Kirk o man!!How could you go a whole album w/o doing a kick *** solo? That sukd too... // 6

Lyrics: Well...I bought the CD brought it home..and I was dark in my room put the disc in and I thought that the company had packaged a pop CD in the case..I was shocked when the singing started in...lyrics still good ..but not really to my taste anymore... // 6

Overall Impression: O come on..I deliberatly lost the CD..and sold off the DVD to sum freak that thought that metallica sounded like a christian band..WTF!!! They lost their attitude man!!! I have an idea.....Metallica...start drinking like crazy again...your old music was better...until u get back that who gives feeling you won't exist to me....I'll just remember the old kick ** music... // 4

St. Anger Reviewed by: unregistered, on march 10, 2004

Sound: Right off the bat, not the best Metallica album. Its still awesome though! See past the lacking solos, I understand maybe Hammett didn't do his best guitaring for this album (duh) but its still really awesome. If you're a real metal fan then understand that its just a nice gritty, solid sounding album for headbangers like me and you alike. Still an awesome album all and all. // 8

Lyrics: Bottom line..Hetfield is one of the best out there when it comes to lyrics. The lyrics for this album were just as deep as any album they've ever done (maybe a bit of exaggeration). None the less, Hetfield has came through once again despite lack of alcohol..oh sweet alcohol. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall I gotta give this CD credit..I mean there were some flaws here and there but the boys pulled through yet again like always. This is only an album to buy if you can see past the solo factor. As to the stolen factor, I would personally either beat the crap outta the guy taht stole my copy or just meh, life goes on. DVD has some funny footage like Lars swearin' (not like its not an every day occurance but still funny) and the moron who wrote the lyric book made em' wrong (Noticeable ALL THE WAY through St. Anger, funny stuff). // 10

St. Anger Reviewed by: Taterdamillion, on march 11, 2004

Sound: Oh boy. This is hard to rate. In some ways, it's really disappointing. It's very simple, which really bugs me. That is NOT METALLICA! Metallica is lightning fast, intricate riffs. Metallica has said that they like it like this, but guess what? Tough cookies, guys. On the other hand, it is kind of nice to have something diffent. Just not from Metallica. // 4

Lyrics: Oh my god. I shudder every time I think about these lyrics. Easily the worst lyrics to every come out of James Hetfield's pen or mouth. Oooh geez. "Shoot me again, I ain't dead yet"? What in the name of all that is holy is he talking about? If you've just been shot, and you've miraculessly survived somehow, why would you dare anyone to shoot you again? It's stupid. Frantic tick tick tick tick tick tock? What does that mean??? What??? A stupid clock shouldn't be the main subject of a song, even if it's a song by someone like Perry Ferrel or someone. Boo. Hoo. // 2

Overall Impression: This is really hard to rate! I just don't know how! I guess I'll just go on my gut instinct. By the way, if you're trying to decide on whether to get it or not, here's some advice: If you're a diehard Metallica fan, definately get this, just because it's a Metallica album. If you're new to Metallica, I wouldn't get this until you have a better understanding of Metallica. My idea is to get the Metallica albums in this order: 1. Master of Puppets 2. Kill Em All 3. And Justice for All 4. Ride The Lightning 5. Metallica 6. St Anger If you want to the Load and Reload albums, go ahead, but I wasn't too impressed with them. Probably better than St Anger, but St. Anger is an experience, and Load and Reload are just kind of, well, average. // 6

St. Anger Reviewed by: Drunkmonkey134, on march 19, 2004

Sound: The sound and production on this album is pretty terrible when compared with many of the bands out there today, but it is the sound and feeling that Metallica tried to create. The garage band sound with the now infamous tin can snare drum played by Lars is all part of the plan. It just adds to the general feeling that the whole album is just four guys getting together and having fun together jamming out songs, not caring what people think of them. Many people cannot accept the production values on the album, and don't even bother to listen to some of its finer moments. There is definitely some great heavy tracks on here with some of the great riffs Metallica is famous for. the title track, for example, has one of the best main riffs Metallica has come up with since Black album days. Some Kind Of Monster is in the mold of Sad But True, with a thick, heavy riff and some pretty good lyrics. Dirty Window is a fast paced rocker with some good drumming by Lars. Invisible Kid is another good pounding track, though it may have lasted a bit too long for my tastes. Sweet Amber is one of the catchier songs, at about halfway through the album. Halfway throught the song there is some great double bass work and some of the lightning fast riffs that are a rarity for this album. The Unnamed Feeling is an awesome song that reminds me a bit of the Unforgiven. the album closer is one of the best songs on the album, with great guitar work and drums. One of the knocks on this album, in addition to the snare sound, is the lack of guitar solos by Kirk Hammett. Points definitely come off in that department, for kirk is non existent on this album. // 4

Lyrics: The lyrics were written by the whole band on this album, not just by James Hetfield as on the previous albums. Also, James was just coming off of his stint in rehab for alcohol abuse, and some of the songs seem to reflcet that.I(Sweet Amber, St Anger, The Unnamed Feeling).Overall, the lyrics on this album are not as dtrong as on any of the other albums, except maybe Load and Reload. Also, the lyrics get very repetetive in pretty much every song, sometimes draggin songs out 2 or more minutes longer than they should be. The vocals here are pretty quality for being done in a couple of takes. Since the band wanted a garage sound, they didn't bother to do a whole lot of takes much of the time, like on their previous albums. // 4

Overall Impression: St Anger is a pretty good album, if you are willing to be open minded and overlook the snare sound and bad production at first. You'll find that there are some songs here that are worth listening to and that there are some that are poor tracks. Top cuts are Frantic, Some Kind Of Monster, Dirty Window, Sweet Amber, The Unnamed Feeling, All Within My Hands. Worst songs are Invisible Kid and Shoot Me Again. I would recommend getting this album from a friend or waiting for the price to go down before you buy it. // 8

St. Anger Reviewed by: PsychoWolfD, on may 11, 2004

Sound: Metallica could have done way, way better than this. This is nothing like what Metallica did in the past, they made it worse with St. Anger. Metallica used to be thrashy, soloramas like Master of Puppets or Kill Em All. With this it is like a grunge-nu-metal crap without a single solo. It did not have an instrumental, had no cool ballads, not one acoustic sound, and worst of all, no solos! Solos made Metallica, man! They won't be great without them! The drums are queer too. Sounds like he's banging on a bowl or a gong or something. Kirk (lead guitarist) co-wrote this material too. What was he thinkin', not including solos!? Simply put, it sucks. Do not get it if you ask for the Metallica you knew. // 4

Lyrics: The lyrics are like average. It would have been perfect if the music was great, which it isn't. I mean, Fran-tic-tic-toc!? what kind of gay crap is that? The singer used to be awesome in his skills, now its pretty contrived. // 6

Overall Impression: Yeah it can compare to other artists and albums... sucky ones! I wouldn't buy it if it were stolen, because I had not bought it anyway. I'd probably download its songs just to make fun of them. Do not buy this album if you want real Metallica. Here's something I'd share...all the rest of Metallica's albums! This is not very good at all. I hate the grunge, non-thrashy sound. I hate its lack of solos. and I hate the drums. If you like this album, you are gonna grow up believing that this is all Metallica, which it isn't. // 4

St. Anger Reviewed by: SireGreat, on june 16, 2004

Sound: I actually really liked this cd. The guitar playing sounds good, but not as catchy as their earlier stuff. I really like James' voice in this cd. It sounds different, but really cool. In Frantic it sounds really good. My opinion. Very good sound quality. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are good if you fully understand what the band is saying. In St.Anger, I think James is just pissed off at Satan. I think he sold his soul, and now realized and puts in emotion that he fully regrets it. These lyrics totally fit with the music. It's not as good as their older lyrics, but its still Metallica lyrics. // 8

Overall Impression: This album is totally different from all their other ones. As a band, Metallica has gone through different music stages. Intense metal, slow rock, almost country style, and biker rock. It's hard to say what this music is. I say it's Metallica. My fav songs are frantic, st. anger, dirty window, the unnamed feeling, there aren't any songs that i dislike. if it were stolen, id probably borrow it (again) and burn it (again). but it is totally worth buying, since it comes with that kickass dvd. im too broke to pay the full price though. // 8

St. Anger Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 18, 2004

Sound: Even when I first bought this cd, I loved it. Not becuz it's Metallica, but becuz it's just heavy and raw. I love the sound (even tho some think that it is poorly produced). I really didn't care about the snare sound, it stood out, but after a while it does get a little annoying. The lack of solos is not a big deal. This new sound from Metallica is good becuz sometimes when I hear too much old stuff, it's nice to hear something different. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics are worse then ...And Justice For All, but the lyrics carry a lot of emotion and thought. Frantic for example. I read that Lars was a big part in the lyrics for this song, and Lars revealing his fear of dying. Makes you think about what you'd do if you knew how long you had to live. Also the lyrics on the other songs altho were good, I would like to see them not repeat the same verse. // 8

Overall Impression: I love this album. It's a new sound, it's a heavy, and new side of Metallica. Those cds were all about social justice, war, dying, and partying. But this album brought you the more personal side of Metallica, sorta like their feelings, fears, thoughts are presented to you through a song. Altho this is definitely not their best, it's a great cd. I would definitely buy this cd, since it comes with a dvd and access to free live recordings of past concerts. // 10

St. Anger Reviewed by: Cyrus-602, on june 21, 2004

Sound: St. Anger is even more different than Load and Reload were, all the songs are in drop C tuning and the riffs are even heavier and faster than before. It does take a bit of getting used to when you first listen to it but after a week it sounds just as good as any other album. The quality of the songs is great, there all different and I prefer the style in St. Anger to some of the songs on the Load album. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics have been critisised alot but I dont think theres anything really wrong with them, they're different but give a different angle to their prevoius albums. Frantic can get anoying after a few listnings though maybe they should have spent longer on the lyrics. James gives it all hes got though in this album and shows his voice is just a powerful and distinctive as ever. // 8

Overall Impression: St. Anger is a change for Metallica but still great, the sound is new and shows Metallica can change with the times without losing the fans they already have. I felt slightly anoyed Kirk didnt get much of achance to show his skills but the songs fit together much more tightly without solos. Still a grat album though, its just as good as Load or Reload. 5 Star. // 10

St. Anger Reviewed by: hackaxe, on june 28, 2004

Sound: This album the group seemed to experiment with something that I tend to like in music. Unpredictability. There are random tempo changes and sometimes it just seems that the layers themselves don't fit together. I liked that. It's Electic (yes, they are rich so we can call them ecclectic and not crazy). // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics I must say are some of the weakest that have come form Metallica, I grudgingly agree to that point. Is that mean they are complete crap? Not even close. How do you compete with yourself when you've created some of the greatest songs in metal/rock history? You just don't. You write what you need to write and thats it. // 6

Overall Impression: Ok for all you tools out there that complain that this album is awful and "I was expecting another Blakc album" thats your problem. They didn't give you the expectations. This is another good album by a great band. No, it's not Master, or Black, but it's not awful. After 20 years of making awesome music, a band is going to grow and evolve. Did people cry when the Beattles changed styles from a pop sensation to a respectable rock band? No. On it's own it's a good album. The Hack has spoken. // 8

St. Anger Reviewed by: The^Unforgiven, on august 09, 2004

Sound: Now one thing I have to say to begin, I'm not really sure weather I like this album or not. If it were some other band's album otherwise than Metallica's I'd think it kicks ass. So I'll just try to ignore that. Music on this album is angry, but not as mean as on other metallica albums. I think that Metallica has tried not to make a Mainstream album with 3,5 minutes hit singles, since the tracks on the album are often like 6-8 minutes long. The music style has made a total flip. St. Anger is pure trash metal. The thing is that I think the tracks are a bit boring without Kirk's solos. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics have also changed on this record, propably because the boys have matured up a bit? Hetfield's singing goes on suprisingly well with the new style too. That's all I have to say about lyrics. // 8

Overall Impression: Now to the real judging. I think it can't be compared to other Metallica albums. I Don't even think it's pure Metallica, more like plain Metallica. There are, however a few kickass songs here, "Frantic", "Sweet Amber" and "Some Kind Of Monster" are those songs. I Don't think that St. Anger is a song to mention, Since it Would be a pearl, but it's a way too long, and "Some Kind Of Monster" has the same problem. I love the hard n' heavy guitarriffs on the album, like the opening riff in "Frantic", but then again I hate the too long and boring songs, and the fact of no guitar solos, which makes the song even more boring. The bonus DVD wasn't anything special either. Ifthe album got lost I'd buy a new one, because then I would'nt have all the Metallica albums anymore! The greatest broblem on the record is, that it has nothing terribly wrong with it, but definantly nothing to remember! It's too long and too boring. I just hope that if there will be another metallica album someday, that it will be true Metallica instead of just Metallica. // 4

St. Anger Reviewed by: TaoAvatar20, on september 27, 2004

Sound: When I first heard the lead-off single, "St. Anger", I positively hated it. I thought the production values were terrible. There was nothing I could find in all of Metallica's back catalog to prepare me for this kind of sound. It reminded me of Mushroomhead or Mudvayne and I was so disappointed that Metallica had stooped to ripping off bands that I didn't find compelling at all then I saw "Some Kind Of Monster" and I gave this album another listen. And another... and another. Two months later, I've gotten used to the raw sounds, the unconventional song structures, and well the lack of anything that reminds me of what Metallica sounded like before. The production sounds bizarre, there's no doubt about it, but given the themes at work in the album I don't think it would have sounded as genuine if the music hadn't sounded as raw as the emotions they were working through making the album. If anything, I'm amazed by the clarity of their playing even when their instruments are all grunged out like this. We all know they can make a riff sound compelling with a polished sound but how many artists could make songs this compelling with a sound this rough? // 8

Lyrics: Like others have said these lyrics don't much resemble the lyrics on other Metallica albums. But I think that's a good thing. The depth of these lyrics is deceptive it's taken me a long time to read through them and try to parse together what they mean within the body of the song and the album itself and I've got to say what they've accomplished lyrically is amazing. The lyrics here remind me somewhat of a lot of Bob Dylan's earlier work cloaking complex ideas in deceptively simple lyrics so that it takes many spins to have them filter down. James Hetfield has never done singing this amazing in his life. He growls, he barks, he pleads, he rages, he whispers, he croons he has more range on this album than I've seen in any other vocalist in years. Once again, the vocals have an amazingly raw quality to compliment the themes and music behind them. // 10

Overall Impression: So like I said I hated the new Metallica at first. Now I'm dead certain they've created the first masterpiece of the 00's. So much of their earlier work has been wrapped up in an image that was hard to look past or not work into their music. Sure, "One", "Harvester Of Sorrow" and "Don't Tread On Me" are amazing compositions but what do they fundamentally tell us about the men who wrote that music? Absolutely nothing. Metallica's made most of its career out of tackling issues that allowed them to avoid examining themselves, but that barrier has broken down on this album and I think it's the best album of their career as a result of this. Now every song seems to jump out at me with new ideas and angles of viewing personal angst and the walls that people use to separate themselves from the rest of the world. Once deciphered, "Invisible Kid" reads like a biography that I'm willing to bet any metal musician will find hits uncomfortably close to home. Likewise, "Frantic" and "Shoot Me Again" have the band tackling the most important questions of the human experience: "Why am I here? What is my place in this world? " "St. Anger" is the most honest and direct examination of how aggression has driven a human being and wondering what it's cost them as well. I could go on and on if you've got the patience to work through what is admittedly a very inaccessable album, the rewards are great and may even hit more close to home than you'll realize. If you want another chest-banging shred-fest check out Megadeth's new release. Dave Mustaine seems very comfortable not moving beyond that stage. Kudos to the Gods of Metal for taking huge chances and producing such amazing results. // 10

St. Anger Reviewed by: unregistered, on september 28, 2004

Sound: What happened? That's all I can ask, now, I've been a fan of Metallica, even through Reload, yes, I liked most of Reload and everything before it. but sweet mother of christ. How can you give this coaster anything above a 2? I don't care about the production values, if Master Of Puppets sounded like this, it would still be one if the best metal albums of all time. The songs lack good riffs, good lyrics, and any solos whatsoever. Even Reload had some awesome riffs on it. The only thing that had a chance at being good were the drums, but that was ruined by Lars' horrible snare. Other than, they were the most intense drums since Dyers Eve. // 4

Lyrics: Lame. That's all I can say I actually liked shoot me again (despite its severely noticeable Korn rip-off riff.) I liked the melody, and it's sort of eerieness, then all of the sudden, "shoot me again I aint dead yet" I almost fell on the floor laughing when I heard that. How is that to be taken seriously? Listen to the way he says it? Is James John Wayne now? "All within my hands, crush it, suffocate" well, that speaks for it self. // 2

Overall Impression: The riffs were way too repetative, Metallica was known for having so many riffs in each song, but no, now they just change the drum beat over a half assed riff, which is a cool affect, but not 2398236 times. And it would be way cooler, if the riffs were good, the only riff worth a damn is in Sweet Amber, which admittedly is a kick ass riff. However, that one riff doesn't redeem Metallica from this half assed album, no quarter eigth assed album. Is there a reason for Kirk to even be there? Other then to flaunt his crappy vocals I mean. Now I understand, after 20 years of alcohol abuse and writing terribly awesome music, its hard to still put out, but they did it on purpose. This is the "real Metallica" well apparently they needed Korn, Linkin Park and Staind to get popular first to make sure it was ok to do it. Didn't they say the same thing the last time they changed there style? I don't mind a little variety in style, as long as they can do it, and not sound like crap. Obviously, that didnt work this time. This is not an album you need to think about, nor give a few listens to let it settle. It's not complex, it's crap. Thank the Lord they only play like 3 songs off this cd live, or I wouldn't be going to see them in november. So I guess I'll just listen to the other releases, and not this crap. Metallica is going in the studio in january, hopefully to not sound like a barrel of wet ducks and a pepsi can. // 4

St. Anger Reviewed by: mantyce, on september 28, 2004

Sound: The Metallica sound is unique. It is a sound that they have created and that only they have mastery over. St. Anger deviates from this sound. It's heavy, with no traditional solo's, and with the inclusion of Rob Trujillo on bass, is quite messy. It has a droning monotone sound to it that causes all songs to sound similar. On the lighter note, there are some fantastic riff changes, and it is good that Metallica have had the balls to put this album out. Metallica still lives, unfortunately only by a thread if St. Anger is any indication. Let's hope they return in full 'ass-kicking force' with Eye in 2005. // 6

Lyrics: Lyrically, it is Metallica's worst album. Period. The lyrics are actually more juvenile than when they were 19 putting out Kill'Em All. Hetfield has lost the ability to hold a tune (unless deliberately done for this album because it is quite a downfall) which he perfected on Black, Load, and Re-Load. A lot of the lyrics can pass as nothing more than filler. // 4

Overall Impression: As mentioned in my first paragraph, it is a monotone sound, and you could find a number of budding artists in garages or rock bars playing songs that are identical. Some Kind Of Monster is probably the best on the album, only because it at least has a diverse sound, and some interesting changes to it. If you are not a rabid fan of Metallica and want the album burn it from the net or a buddy that already has it. Buy the album if you are a Metallica fan because it's part of a collection as I did, not because it's a great one. // 6

St. Anger Reviewed by: sghero, on november 04, 2004

Sound: ok first off this album is about as gritty as Metallica have been in years, the point behind this album as the band have stated is a return to the old energy and as a result it is kind of conveyed through the raw sound to this album. If you were lucky enough to get your hands on the digi pack edition with the dvd and have seen Some Kind Of Monster then youll understand that this album was not about production values but more about getting the aggression the band felt from the pretty much unused presidio sessions and Hetfields rehab. The one problem I do have is the constant tinny drum noise. Think turning off the bass and top and just leaving the middle eq and thats what the drums sound like, also the backing vocals since the loss of newstead have went downhill. Not Classic Tallica but not to shabby to be honest. // 6

Lyrics: Considering the fact that its was not just Hetfield but Hammet, Ulrich and Bob Rock the contributed with the lyric writing process, a process that hetfield kept very private for almost 20 years I would say that the lyrics are pretty good. Again not clasic Tallica but check out unnamed feeling if you aint already. // 6

Overall Impression: This is not calssic Metallica as I've said, but its a new direction for the band. However to trully get this album you really have to see the documentary (Some Kind Of Monster) and I would advise reading so what to get an insight into where a lot of the anger comes from. On the whole a good album not great and not shit like most people have said it is but theyre really just pissed off theres no solos on it. // 6

St. Anger Reviewed by: quickquack, on february 18, 2005

Sound: There are several obvious points to pick up on for St Anger sound-wise. Firstly, Lars' innovative snare drum sound. Whilst many hate the sound, claiming it sounds like garbage cans being hit, others may say it is an original idea which it is and I think that it adds depth to their songs, and creates something a bit different. A bit more interesting. Secondly, much to many thousands of fans horror - there are no solos on this album! I have to say I think this was one of Metallica's building blocks for their music and success and I was disappointed to see them go. However, in their place we have huge, towering riffs, that, I have to admit, more than compensate. St. Anger is, true to its word, a very raw sounding album. We hear throughout, James hitting off keys, and minor errors in playing within the whole group. I don't actually like the effect this creates - it comes across as sloppy and not well produced to me. This is a thing a lot of people have been doing and I don't want to, but compare this to their older albums, Master Of Puppets or Ride The Lightning, and the sound of St. Anger is a jumbled, complicated mess. However, as I read in a review once, "sub-par Metallica is still better than any other band firing on all cylinders." I couldn't agree more. Whilst the sound quality does not even compare to their older songs, it is still "blow you away" stuff, in a league of its own. // 8

Lyrics: To be able to review the lyrics properly, you would need to take into consideration many things beside just listening to the album. It very much depends on how much you know of the band, their background, their current and past situations, and them as people. I found, for example, after watching "Some Kind Of Monster", their recent DVD, that I was able to connect and realte to the lyrics much, much more and understand what the band were trying to portray. The lyrics for St. Anger were written in group sessions. This was a new idea, linking in with their group therapy. And to be perfectly honest, it hasn't created anything at all as memorable as almost anything else Metallica has written. There are some good single lines that I could pick out, "my lifestyle determines my deathstyle" being one. Put to the new style of heavier, solo-less Metallica, the style of lyrics they have come up with works quite well, but to simply read them out loud does not always generate particularly pleasant reading. // 6

Overall Impression: Despite several negative comments I have made, I still find myself putting this album on over and over again. It seems to be true with this album that the more you listen to it, the more you grow to like it and understand it. I stick by my comment that it does not compare to their old stuff but then very few albums do - this is a new Metallica they have created and they have come out of it pretty well. My standout tracks would have to be "Frantic," "Purify" and "Dirty Window." I would recommend however that you listen to early Metallica first before buying this - it would not be the ideal impression to go away with of them. If it was stolen I think I would eventulally replace it, though not with any great hurry. // 8

St. Anger Reviewed by: unregistered, on february 21, 2005

Sound: Obviously, it's been said, the sound/production on this album is terrible. But in a way that works. Sounds weird I know but it's so raw and unpolished it really works well with the whole idea of the album. The pinging of Lars' snare pissed me off all over the place for a while but it's something you grow to like, or just stop noticing. True, you have to listen to this album a few times, you can't listen to it once and make a decision, admittedly my first impression was "this is s--t" and for a while joined in the mindless 'tallica bashing. But I gave it another spin, then another and I now quite enjoy listening to it. The fact of the matter is the sound on this album is an aqquired taste, if you listen to it 4 or 5 times and still hate it, well fair enough at least you gave it a shot. If you listen to it once, and say you hate it, you're an idiot. // 6

Lyrics: Lyrics were good, fitted well with the riffs and some of the choruses and verses were damn catchy (Frantic, Invisible Kid, The Unnamed Feeling) Jamses voice is definately not as on par as it has been on all albums previous, but this doesn't neccessarily hinder the album, it works well with the ball-crushingly heavy riffs and off-kilter drums. Nothing sits quite right with the lyrics at first, just like the guitar sound and lack of solos, but eventually you just can't hear it any other way, like I said, you just have to listen to it a few times. // 6

Overall Impression: It's not Metallica at their best, but it's them working towards being back at their best. Personally I'd like to see them go back to their regular tuning and get out of the whole drop-C thing. Just sounds a little bit too nu-metal for my liking. But at least this album kicks the shit out of Load and ReLoad if not for any other reason then simply because it's uncompromisingly heavy and gives a big middle finger to commercial radio. Not great, not crap. Just good. // 6

St. Anger Reviewed by: unregistered, on march 03, 2005

Sound: As I listened to this for the first time and heard the first track playing in my headphones "Frantic" I realized that all of the reviews I have read about St. Anger being the biggest crap metallica had ever made, I have seen it everywhere. All those people where absolutely full of it. This is not the greatest album ever but it is definitley 10x better than Load and Reload put together. Of course it isn't Master Of Puppets or another Black Album but I must say this album really kicks. The sound is really gritty and hardcore and shreds through the "alternametal" crap that they had been playing for the last 6 or 7 years. That is definitley a good thing and a good move on Metallica's part. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics of the album are pretty good not perfect though. James uses his same voice from the last 3 albums. But he adds a little flair when he turns on the gritty voice used in Frantic and Dirty Window. By the way those are my two favorite songs on the album along with St. Anger and Some Kind Of Monster. The CD definitley goes out with a bang with James chanting Kill at the end of all within my hands. It makes me want to listen more. // 8

Overall Impression: Packed with a DVD of the songs played live in studio this is a must have for any Metallica fan. If I lost it or if it was stolen hell yeah I'd get it again. What are waitin for go buy it! // 10

St. Anger Reviewed by: Contraband, on march 05, 2005

Sound: Crappy production, supposedly it's to be "raw" but the drums sound like pots or garbage can lids. In fact, I have a notion in the pit of my stomach that they really did use garbage can lids for some of the drums. I have no idea what Bob Rock was thinking, he just helped ruin Metallica's CD. The riffs although are still Hetfield quality, no solos (this isn't Metallica then is it?) If this is an album to express their feelings, it's not that bad. Some worthy tracks on this album are Invisible Kid, Frantic, Some Kind Of Monster, and The Unnamed Feeling. Still a cool side of Metallica. Good to know though, that next album, it'll all change well hopefully. // 8

Lyrics: Not good. That's all I can say. Not Metallica style. // 6

Overall Impression: If it were lost or stolen, I'd go out and buy another one cause then I wouldn't have all the Metallica CD's. It gives you a DVD and access to bootlegs and past concert, now that's a deal. If it didn't come with a DVD and access to bootlegs, I wouldn't get it because there're too many fillers on the album and crappy production even for the good songs. Like I said before, no solos and that's not really Metallica. I know people who solely go for a bands solo material and Metallica is to some people one of those bands. I don't like to compare this album, cause then it turns out s--t except for cool riffs. So, it's an ok album Metallica's worst, but hey Rob didn't contribute to any bass riffs. Most impressive songs, again Invisible Kid, Frantic, SKOM, and The Unnamed Feeling. St. Anger the title track song isn't too bad either. If this didn't have shitty production, maybe people would appreciate them more. But compared to the things I hate on this album, my hate towards old school Metallica fanboys who hate St. Anger is just too much. Get over it! Ok, you don't like it, don't listen to it. I think it's fine, could have had so many things done to make it better, but still cool. Album art sucks, it's soo plain. Can't wait for next album. // 8

St. Anger Reviewed by: unregistered, on march 08, 2005

Sound: Overall, the sound choice was a good one. In this album, they modernized their ideas, tuning down to a drop c in almost every one of their songs. they made the music sound more like some crappy, heavy/death metal band, but they added the usual Metallica things to it, making it sound better than a crappy heavy metal band. I still prefer the older stuff than this album though. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics were much more pessimistic in this album than in any other album I have heard. being a metallica junkie, I think it was harder for me than most people to adjust to the style of the lyrics. I'm not saying that the other albums werent about the same things as this one was, but this album just seemed to intensify their thoughts even more. In my opinion, Kirk has really improved his singing skills from his first albums, making this one vocally better. I was expecting more of an old fashioned metallica wording in this album, but it wasn't that way. // 6

Overall Impression: I absolutely love almost every Metallica album, except for this one. I wish that metallica would go back to their older style of music, such as thier Black Album and Load/Reload. I think that since Jason left Metallica and Robert took over, this has caused their style to become less original. There isn't nearly as many guitar solos in this newer album, which is what I always looked forward to in thier older albums. This disappointed me. // 6

St. Anger Reviewed by: ALKoHoLiK, on april 12, 2005

Sound: I really don't need to say much about the sound, it speaks for themselves. It is a gritty half ass project. Hearing James H. voice makes me want to cover my ears and cry. I was introduced into Metallica through there Load/Reload albums and I liked some of the songs, I got deeper into "And Justice For All" the "Black Album" and "Ride The Lightening" all which IMO are amazing. I have always stuck up for Metallica with being just a pure amazing band and there music amazing. I went out and bought there CD at the cost of $19.99 when it came out in GA, and literally cried because it was horrible. I'm still waiting for them to tell us that it was all a joke and that album was meaningless. // 4

Lyrics: Lyrics? What lyrics as you can hear in the song, "St. Anger" there is no passion, and it seems like he was just going with words that ryhmed with eachother. Half the songs didn't even make sense. Classic example: "St. anger round my neck, st. anger never gets respect." Wtf is that or does that mean? James has an amazing voice that ranges from "For Whom The Bell Tolls" all the way to a soft soothing voice in "Nothing Else Matters" and all respect to him, but in this album his singing skills as shown are horrible and nowhere up to what he has done and is compatible of doing. // 2

Overall Impression: This album doesn't even hold a candle to a not so good album of Load or Reload. This album has made a different scale of just horrible songs/lyrics. I don't think there is 1 good song on here, when I listen to them I try to understand the change from pure amazing (From Kill'Em All to Black Album) to just horrible (St. Anger). The thing I respect from them is that they had the courage let the world hear this album. The only thing I love is that it shows Metallica is still together dispite the leaving of Jason Newsted and James alcoholic rehab situtation. If this album was stolen I wouldn't get/accept another one of them, the only reason I have it is because I would like to have almost every album. Is it worth buying? IMO no, there is nothing creative about the songs on this album and I would rather listen to Avril Lavgene sing about skater boys. I really hope our boys jump back from this and know that they can do so much better/more. // 4

St. Anger Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 03, 2005

Sound: Raw, uncomprimising, unpolished bad ass album. Originally I thought, "What the f--k!? Where's the grunt?" But after listening for 10 minutes or so, I really liked the sound, even the snare on Lars' drums! It matches the raw sound perfectly in my opinion. I'm 35 years old and started listening to Metallica in 1988 and I reckon they are the best metal band ever seen. After the Master Of Puppets and even the fanastic but not well produced ...And Justice For All album, they really started to experiment with different stuff, and why not? They have always done their own s--t, from Kill'Em All to today. People who criticize groundbreaking bands such as Metallica are pretty narrow minded. Bands of todays youth such as Linkin Park, Limp Bizkit etc. owe it to bands like this that they are even on the radio. Metallica changed to drop D tuning not to follow nu-metal, oh no, they did it to show them what metal should sound like, badass! Now they (nu-metal) can go and practice, and maybe learn some real chords. // 8

Lyrics: The only thing I needed to hear was James howling "Some kind of monster" followed by "This monster lives!" That to me sound like a man who has finally realised his meaning here. He's done the therapy thing, but he's still angry. Instead of rejecting it, he is embracing it because he's sober and has realised we're all f--king angry, and he has the ultimate outlet for us all, Metallica! // 8

Overall Impression: I think (hope) that this is an initial move back to the "real" Metallica. Precise, mean, hard metal. It's a way to get those fans who have come on board since the Load/Reload albums to adjust back to their old/new style, a kind of crossroads. I think we are witnessing something pretty cool with this album, the next one will be old school, traditional tuning thrash metal I believe, to bring Metallica full circle in their career and cement their spot as the greatest metal band ever. // 8

St. Anger Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 05, 2005

Sound: I must admit, when I heard they were turn back to their old ways, I expected something different. At first I didn't like it. After seeing Some Kind Of Monster (the movie) I picked it back up. It's has been a year since I listened to it and when I picked it back up I had a new respect. Dispite what people say, that cd is great. Most people talk all this shit about the song "St. Anger" which, in my eyes is one of the worst songs on the CD. If all you is talk s--t about that one f--king song you should be killed. Have you heard "All Within My Hands" or "Sweet Amber"? They kick so much ass. If you talk bad about the CD don't bulls--t like you listened to the whole thing. If your whole comment revolves around "St. Anger" everyon knows you haven't. This CD is very raw. They acomplished what they wanted and thats to sound like a garage band like in Kill'Em All. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics are a little shaky at first. They do get better. Some of them are actually deep. It fits with the music perfectly and I've always liked James's singing. // 6

Overall Impression: Compared to others, they still rain suprem. It's the fact that they want to go back to their old style that moves me the most. The whole CD is heavy. No downtime. Youe heads bobbin' every minute of this CD. Bob Rock kicked ass on the bass. The only thing I don't like is the fact that Kirk (my favorite guitarist next to Steve Vai) dosen't have any solo's. Other than that I really like it. If I lost it or it was stolen I would buy another copy. I can't wait for their next CD. // 8

St. Anger Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 11, 2005

Sound: In my opinion, this CD is the sole reason wich makes Metallica different (and possibly better) then most bands out there. Metallica are a band that are not afraid of trying new things, examples are writing ballads, making music videos, and changing music style. Now I stand by my opinion, but I must admit that the production could have been alot better. I dont think I need to point out the flaws but again this is what makes them a great band. The new sound is also a sign that Metallica might be moving back to thier roots of speed and thrash metal. And also Rob didn't contribute to the album but I feel that he will be the right guy for the future of Metallica. // 8

Lyrics: In this segment of Metallica history, the members went through personal stuff wich reflects alot on the lyrics. St. Anger is about releaseing anger in a positive way, much like James went through in rehab. In "Shoot Me Again" the song is about what Lars went through with the whole Napster mess. "Invisable Kid" is (I think) about how Kirk felt neglected or how he couldn, t do anything to help the others. "All Within My Hands" deals with the departue of former bassist Janson Newsted and how James felt his relationship was with him. James's voice has changed alot in this album. He did a good job because the musical skill goes good with the song but still not the James I am proud of. // 8

Overall Impression: This is the begging of an exciting new chapter in Metallica's history. To compare it with previous albums is really wrong because this album is mearly a stepping-stone for wich Metallica will unleash on the world. The songs that reached out to me most were "Sweet Amber" and "Frantic" becuase of teh message that I perseeve them to be. I love the fact that Metallica is not afraid of doing things not familliar to the people and simply just for still being a band! If it was stolen I would buy it again because I am a huge Metallica fan and will follow them if they turn into a techno band (on second-hand maybe not). // 8

St. Anger Reviewed by: unregistered, on december 12, 2005

Sound: This is difficult because I've seen reviews of this being either the best since "Master Of Puppets" or the worse than "Load." It is most certainly different, more focused on the riffs (which by the way are superb for the most part) and there are no guitar solos which can be irritating when hardcore fans will expect at any moment for Kirk to break out into some shredding genius. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics are either genius (The Unamed Feeling, Some Kind Of Monster) or stupidly reptitive (Dirty Window, Frantic, title track) But the overall picture is good. Kirk doing backing lyrics does not work at all. // 7

Overall Impression: 01. Frantic - a Song that I fail to connect with in any way shape or form, good riffs redeme it but only just. 02. St. Anger - slightly repetitive lyrics but a song which sees a return to form of sorts with a pounding chorus and superb intro riff. 03. Some Kind Of Monster - they made a movie out of it. It is however my joint favourite on the album with great lyrics such as "These are the eyes that can't see me these are the hands that drop your trust" one of the epics. 04. Dirty Window - terrible, how can Metallica produce "Some Kind Of Monster" in one seesion then this peice of emo crap in the next one. 05. Invisable Kid - one of the albums epics at 8 and a half minutes but also one of the best. Superb lyrics 06. My World - the best opening line in any Metallica Song ever "The Motherf--kers got in my head." But the rest of the song is slightly dry (based on the opening line on its own). 07. Shoot Me Again - this is the sort of song that would make people like Metallica based on just this album. Classy. 08. Sweet Amber - slighty dry until you reach the pre-chorus when you appreciate the song properly. 09. the Unnamed Feeling - my other joint favourite with a return of higher notes and the sort of chorus metallica fans come to expect. 10. Purify - like Dirty Window, Bob Rock wrote this piece of disrespect and sounds like it was forced on the album. The lowest and dullest part of this rollercoaster ride of an album. 11. All Within My Hands - terribly reptative lyrics but huge vocal performance from Hetfield and the longest song on the album. Overall, more songs like "The Unnamed Feeling" and less songs like "Purify" Plus guitar solos and normal tuning and metallica could have bben on to a classic heavy metal record. As it happens many would be happy with an album of this quality but this is Metallica, they need an album the quality closer to "Master Of Puppets" rather than "Load." // 8

St. Anger Reviewed by: unregistered, on february 10, 2006

Sound: Well I liked the sound. New and unique. The riffs were great, the songs however were not. They were far too repetitive and a solo or two would be nice. By the way, just to clear some stuff up that people don't seem to realise. Rob does not play on the CD. it is Bob Rock on bass. Rob only plays on the DVD that comes with the CD. And kirk only does backing vocals on the DVD. And I agree with what a lit of people have been saying, as far as song composition and structure is concerend, Frantic and The Unnamed Feeling are the good ones. // 7

Lyrics: Lyrics were a little immature in place. They weren't all crap, but at times they are a little cringe worthy. Hetfeild's voice however is in great shape as far as I am concerned. Perhaps don't let the rest of the band contrbute with lyrics next time. // 4

Overall Impression: This is the worced Metallica album I won't disagree. But that doesn't mean it is a bad album. I'll still listen to it over a lot of the other crap you get now adays. I love the guitar sound, and the whole album sound, I love the riffs. Its an OK album. Not one to start your Metallica collection with though. // 7

St. Anger Reviewed by: shawry0007, on february 18, 2006

Sound: In the year 2003 Metallica released the album "St. Anger." As most would know they have had a lot of trouble with bassists, ever since Cliff Burton was killed in a tour bus accident and Jason Newsted walked out on the band. So Met-fans were left in waiting to see what the sound of their new bassist would be. They made a good choise in choosing Rob Trujillio. The album lightens up on metal, it is more of a rock/alternative experimentation that didn't turn out too well. I find that the songs drone on and on repeating the same phrases and aren't broken up with amazing solos by hammet. // 7

Lyrics: The lyrics are rather good. They are mostly based on life experiences, most noteably "Sweet Amber" which sings about Hetfield's battle with alchoholism. Traditionally, it was Hetfield and Ulrich that wrote the Lyrics to the songs, but in "St. Anger" the whole band contributed. This doesn't give the songs thespark they had in their other albums. As always, Hetfield's voice is absolutely flawless. // 9

Overall Impression: This album is definately down the bottom end of my list of all my Metallica CD's. In fact, I found that this album was a big letdown, I really did miss the solo's. The album doesn't quite equal the old albums, this might just be my opinion, but, it just isn't 'metally' enough and songs just go for far too long. Don't get me wrong, I love Metallica but all in all I wouldn't suggest this album to anyone who wants a Metallica CD. I would re-buy the CD only because I am a collector. // 6

St. Anger Reviewed by: genresrforposer, on february 20, 2006

Sound: This album kind of reminds me of ...And Justice For All in that it has horrible production and you can barely hear the bass lines. The difference of course is that ...And Justice still had classic songs like blackened and one, St. Anger not so much. Now I liked the documentary, but it may have promoted the idea that if a band isn't made up of drug-addicts they can't make a good album. The guitars tune to Drop C which is fine, but the drums sound like trash cans being banged repeatedly, as if Metallica were only trying to form a garage band that pissed of their geriatric neighbors instead of actually sounding good. Also, they got a new bassist, but since no bass player for Metallica has been much of an influence on the writing process since Cliff died, I really don't see how that's significant (although I do like Trujillo). Now, a song by song breakdown. 01. Frantic - could have been an intense song good to bang your head along to, instead has a slow and annoying chorus "keeeep searchin" and a line written by a Hot wheels loving 12 year old part of Hetfield: "My lifestyle determines my death style". Still, it does maintain that good fast riff for a good portion of it. 02. St. Anger - I actually think this song does a good song of building tension and agression. But it does get old. 03. Some Kind Of Monster - the beggining of the song repeats far too much but once we get to the vocals there is a nice, catchy riff that carries most of the song. Fun to listen to aside from the rather ridiculous lyrics. 04. Dirty Window - here, the lyrics are interesting as Hetfield puts himself on the jury stand but the actual sound is just flat out annoying. 05. Invisible Kid - I like the main riff, but once again the chorus slows everything down and makes it a lesser song. 06. My World - absolutely adrenaline-packed and catchy to boot. 07. Shoot Me Again - great song to listen to when you're pissed off. 08. Sweet Amber - I love the bridge, and the chorus actually continues the feeling of the good, fast riff. 09. The Unnamed Feeling - it just flat out gets the ambiance down. I likes it. 10. Purify - amazing riff swallowed by a horrible chorus but saved by an excellent bridge. 11. All Within My Hands - it starts out interestingly but only gets annoying after about the first minute and a half. // 7

Lyrics: Most of the lyrics are pretty dumb, and some tracks seem like they were sung by a dying cat named James. However it is interesting to look at the liner notes to see what the band was going through as they wrote the lyrics. // 4

Overall Impression: St. Anger isn't the worst album out there, but it's far from the best. Purify, Some Kind Of Monster, Invisible Kid, My World, Frantic, and Sweet Amber offer catchy riffs but half of them are swallowed by ugly and annoying choruses. Dirty Window and All Within My Hands are just plain annoying, and St. Angers a bit too repetitive. If it were stolen I'd be pretty ticked off because then I couldn't sell it to 10 and under year olds. I'm not saying it's terrible but I would probably find a better cd to replace it with pretty quick. // 6

St. Anger Reviewed by: Eurasian_C, on february 21, 2006

Sound: Soundwise, St. Anger is definetely the most unique. Being more of a heavy-music leech, I would say that this does beat the period of Load/Reload; songs like "Mama Said" really disgruntled me! However, St. Anger's sound really does not compliment the band's true potential. For one thing, I really don't like the sound of the snare drum; it literally sounds like a trashcan! I will applaud Lars in the sense that he is trying some new drum beats out; however, most of the time, it sounds like the basic drum beat (bass drum+ hi hat and snare) but faster depending on the bpm. Being a person that likes really heavy and low-end music, I have no problem with the downtuning. However, some of the music sounded really off. "Dirty Window" really sounded like a poor excuse for grunge; furthermore, the cowbell pissed me off. The lack of solos in the songs is a bit of a downfall. One person in an Ultimate Guitar said that Kirk was sick of them; if you were to watch "Some Kind Of Monster," you would see that Bob Rock discouraged solos in these songs. Some of the riffs, I must say, were pretty good. I personally liked the sound of "Sweet Amber," "The Unnamed Feeling," and "St. Anger;" those songs seem to have the most stable composition. All around, St. Anger's sound is really on both sides; it's not that great, yet it doesn't really suck. // 5

Lyrics: When I saw "Some Kind Of Monster," I found that everyone had a shot at writing the lyrics, which is really unique because a band would usually leave the lyrics up to the vocalist. Some of the song lyrics that came out on the album were okay. However, in the end, I really found the lyrics to be really choppy and askew in subject matter. One instance of choppiness could be "Invisible Kid." This song is by far, one of the worst on the album. The lyrics to it are by far the worst. An exerpt from this song goes "Invisible kid/Never seen what he did, Got stuck where he hid/Falling through the grid". Following that, James goes into "I'm okay/just go away..." Looking back on the old Metallica albums, songs were written solely by James about his life experiences, which is probably the reason why they flowed more; these lyrics, which were written by different people and pieced together like a deranged puzzle, are choppier and in the long run, don't make that much sense. One example of the song lyrics being okay would probably be "The Unnamed Feeling." One could definetely recognize from the lyrics that the song covers feelings of pressure, self-hatred, depression, etc. An exerpt of these lyrics go "And the unnamed feeling/it comes alive, and the unnamed feeling/treats me this way." The lyrics, in this case, make a lot of sense because such negative feelings do make one feel a certain way. The lyrics in this song do seem to flow a bit better compared to a majority of the songs on the album. All around, James Hetfield should have definetely taken the pen for these songs. I strongly believe that the group lyric-writing idea does not really work that well; this album is definetely a good example of it not working well. // 5

Overall Impression: My overall impression of this album is that it is very mediocre. It could be compared to an A+ quality student being satisfied with a C+ on a project. Observing this from a certain standpoint, one could say that this is Metallica venting from the pressures that it had undergone from the timespan of Load/Reload to St. Anger; some instances of these pressures could be Jason Newsted's departure, Napster, James Hetfield undergoing rehab, and the fear of Metallica dying. Despite this being a period of venting, it could definetely have sounded better. James Hetfield once said that they were portraying their anger in "a healthy way." Whatever this healthy way was, it still should have sounded better. Being a metalcore person, there are definetely a shitload of bands out there like Killswitch Engage and As I Lay Dying that portray elements of anger and depression, yet still have musical composition in the stuff that they play. With these things in mind, I do pray that the next album, which is being produced by Slayer's Rick Ruben, will be a more constructive album than its predecessor. // 3

St. Anger Reviewed by: jrrwizard, on february 21, 2006

Sound: Good sound. Much different from there past approach so it does take some getting used to. This is still Metallica, and I still do believe it is a "good" sound. While I wouldn't rank it up with Ride The Lightening or Master Of Puppets due to a serious lack in melody and soloing this album was a very good kick back after losing their bass player. Gritty, metal, fast, choppy (in a good way) this album still deserves a 7/10 in sound. // 7

Lyrics: Lyrics are not to be compared to previous Metallica albums. Hetfield uses much more raw gritty lyrics to bring out an anger in the music that was not heard as much before. I would have to give Hetfield major props for these lyrics, while they do not essentially flow with the music as they have in past albums, this is a whole new approach and I rather liked the expression. // 8

Overall Impression: All in all, I'd have to give the overall a 7/10. This is basically because I loved the other albums so much and this was a slight letdown because of the drastic change and less use of the guitar. Still very metal tho, still very rocking, still kicks some you know what. Metallica fans should definetly have this at any rate. // 7

St. Anger Reviewed by: highpocket, on february 21, 2006

Sound: I bought this album the day it came out and it's a good thing it was only $10, even though it's not worth that. I've been a Metallica fan since Justice and I will honestly tell you that St. Anger is by all means the worst piece of "recording" Metallica has ever created! The drums are just horrible sounding, and the guitars are messy. There is nothing inovative about not having guitar solos. Many new bands are doing that and I think it's due to lack of talent and skill. I've heard many live albums that have better sound quality than this. I do have to admit that some the songs have at least picked up the pace again. // 1

Lyrics: The lyrics make absolutley no sense! Where did this stuff come from? Hetfield was a master lyricist up through the Black album. If there was one thing you could count out it was the creativity in the lyrics. This album has nothing but babbling and that goes on and on and on. At least you can still understand the lyrics as sung! // 1

Overall Impression: I wouldn't miss this album at all if it was stolen. I've even tried listening to this album at different times tinking it would grow on me like the Black album did but it hasn't. Hopefully now with Rick Rubin on board and Bob Rock out we'll see some much needed improvements and a return to the roots that made Metallica an "icon." // 1

St. Anger Reviewed by: Metallica708, on march 01, 2006

Sound: Some people seem to find it hard to tell the difference between "crap" and "different." This album was "different." Sure, I didn't like it as much as the other albums, but it's still a great album. Every song is in Drop C tuning, meaning a darker heavier sound than the stuff in Re/Load. It's true, there were/are some amazing artists who never changed their musical formula, but are never boring (i.e. The Ramones, Motorhead). However, as much as I would have loved a rerun of Ride The Lightning, St. Anger was a breath of fresh air. The drumming was good IMO, though at times it does sound like dustbin lids crashing. And I do miss the solo's, but it was part of the "F--k You" attitude. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics go from bizzare to so deep almost moving me to cry. E.g. the lyrics in St. Anger are terrible ("St. Anger round my neck, he never gets respect/St. anger round my neck) but the lyrics in The Unnamed Feeling are really from the heart and all that shit (I won't post examples). The lyrics fitted in with the music well, e.g. Frantic is an extremely fast paced song, and the lyrics are about living fast etc. // 7

Overall Impression: It's not as good as some of the other albums (with the exception of load) but its still a great album. The most impressive song has to be the unnamed feeling. I love the whole "why the f--k should I do what you want" attitude of this album. It makes me want to go out and smash a window. I hate the amount of hate that this album has generated. Everyone goes "This album is teh shitness! No solos! Black Album is the pwningness!" Well, I say f--k you to them. If it were stolen, I would find the person who stole it, drive the headstock of my guitar through their head and would take it back. Or just buy it again. Overall, a good album, but a little below standard. // 8

St. Anger Reviewed by: mccabe24, on march 09, 2006

Sound: This was pretty much the same sound as all the other Metallica albums, but pretty well all of the songs sound the same! Plus, Metallica did the worst thing that they could possibly do at this time (where solos are frowned upon) by taking out the solos! What do they need two guitarist for if they aren't going to play solos? // 5

Lyrics: All James Hetfield did was scream into the mic. That is not really hard to do or pleasant to listen to. The lyrics themselves were pretty crappy too. It seems like the CD is one big song. The lyrics are all about the same things. The CD is full of notices of how angry he is. // 2

Overall Impression: To me, the most dissapointing thing about the album was when they dropped the solos. I thought that Kirk Hammett was going to be the one to turn the music industry around and bring back the guitar solo, but instead he followed in the footsteps of the grunge bands who think they are too cool to solo. What a dissapointment. // 2

St. Anger Reviewed by: All0utR0ck, on march 16, 2006

Sound: You know what? I wasn't bothered by the snare drum. It was different. This is Metallica at their best. Why? Because they did something different. They have said it before and I will say it again. Metallica is about being different. This album stands true to that fact. Most metal bands today are all about solos. Where are they in this album? Absent. I'm not complaining though. All in all I love Metallica no matter what they do. The sound was meant to be a garage-esque sound and pulled it off really well. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics can get a little bit repetitive I admit. But in most of the songs I can feel Hetfields emotion. James will always be one of the greatest frontmen in history. The lyrics fit with the music extremely well and give you the impression that Metallica is not going anywhere anytime soon. Very brutal harsh and aggressive. I like it. // 10

Overall Impression: Does this album compare to any other Metallica album? No. It wasn't meant to be. This album has it's own sound and love it or hate it, it's Metallica. My personal favorite songs are St. Anger, Frantic, Invisible Kid, The Unnamed Feeling, All Within My Hands, Shoot Me Again and Sweet Amber. All of the songs were outstanding though. I would most definitely buy it again, in the instance it somehow left my hands. // 10

St. Anger Reviewed by: Ploosh_Meister, on may 03, 2006

Sound: The sound of this album is not quite like anything I've heard before. Bob Rock said they wanted to get a garage sound from this album, and they really did. The drums are, 'different', due to the fact that the snare is completely out of control. Though it takes some getting used to, it really does grow on you however, as it's something original and does pack quite a punch into the songs. // 7

Lyrics: The lyrics are, the worst written by Metallica yet. I feel that getting the whole band to write the lyrics was not the wisest of ideas, as they're back to basics and do not compare in anyway whatsoever to the legendary lyric writing of James Hetfield. The vocals are also a little strange and take some getting used to. I remember I was first listening to this album on a car stereo, coming out of a supermarket after buying it, and when the lyrics kicked in I remember getting a sinking feeling, thinking, oh no. However after listening through one song it does grow on you, it's just not the same as metallica. // 5

Overall Impression: What Metallica has done here is prove that 20 years into their career, they can still release a completely unique record, different to pretty much all metal released in the past. Though it may not have inspired anyone to make music like it, it still stands as one of the more original sounding albums I own, and I'm glad they made it, as it shows their strong song writing skill. If it were stolen, I would most certainly buy it again, because I don't own anything else quite like it. // 8

St. Anger Reviewed by: sexybeast101, on june 20, 2006

Sound: This album is really cool and fun to listen to but it doesnt even come close to Metallica's early stuff. I was disappointed about no guitar solos but the rhythm guitar riffs are awesome! My favorite songs on here is probably Some Kind Of Monster but all the songs are decent. One thing that I really dont like though is Lars' new snare drums. It sounds like he is banging on metal trash can lids. I love the intensity and anger on this CD. // 6

Lyrics: The lyrics just plain out suck on here. In fact they're terrible on some songs like frantic and St. Anger but awesome on Some Kind Of Monster and the Unnamed Feeling and other songs. Hetfield's voice isn't that great on this CD compared to say the Black Album or Master Of Puppets. They used to have the best lyrics ever, especially on Ride The Lightning and ...And Justice For All. // 3

Overall Impression: If this CD were stolen I would definatley buy it again. I love the riffs in it even though the lyrics aren't that great. I didn't this CD nearly as much as I do now before I saw the Some Kind Of Monster movie. What most people who are really big fans of Metallica don't realize is all the stuff Metallica was going through. James had just gotten back from rehabilitation where he had been for 11 months, and the whole band had growing tensions with each other and they were angery at each other, especially Lars and James. What people don't realize is that this isn't supposed to be a masterpiece. Every song was written in the recording studio. And to everyone who is mad about no solos, Kirk was mad too about it. Overall this is an awesome CD. // 7

St. Anger Reviewed by: jonmwb, on january 05, 2007

Sound: Metallica's sound quality has definatly improved over time, due to having more money, fans, more popularity. However this necessarily didn't mean the albums got better. Past the Black album the albums and sound became 'the same old boring generic heavy metal sound', no matter how good the music was, it will never get too much critics praise. Now they bring out a totally new sound with the best sound quality of there career. But don't get too exited! The album sounds like a complete mess! it's trying to sound angry but instead sounds childish, it tries to sound different but instead sounds childish. it's as if the drummer told them 'Ill hit these drums really fast while the bass player just play random stuff to fit with it, guitarist just play a random riff, and make up the lyrics as you go along'. it's rubbish! James Hetfields voice is similar to his on the original other albums but he does sound stupid compared to the terrifyingly awful backing music. True Metallica fans would agree with me that this is by far their worst album of their career. The fans who do like it have a weird taste in music, or they bought in to all the commerciality of the album. Metallica have truly sold out and have become the dregs of metal with this album. // 2

Lyrics: It often sounds like it's been made up on the spot. As if they were thinking of things that rhymed and stuck them together. They try to sound deep and angry, but it really just seems like a buunch of ameturs shouting random words. I have heard bad lyrics but when you get a song that goes "invisible kid, never seen what he did, got stuck where he hid, fallin through the grid" you really get pissed off. The booklet that goes with the CD has writing and scribles and pictures to make it look like they have made a deep though provoking album. I've heard deeper Busted songs! Metallica were better when they sang about what they really thought of and what was really inside of them. Not this rubbish! // 1

Overall Impression: By far the worst album by Metallica, and possibly the only album I have tried to like but failed. Upon 6th listening I gave up on the album altogether. St Anger was kind of catchy and cool when it first came out (still a terrible Metallica song, however) but when the whole album sounds exactly the same, and infact, worse than St Anger (which is the 1st track) then you really have a bad album. The only reason for getting this album is to complete an album collection or if your really into Metallica then you may find something here. But if you lose it then just go and buy another Metallica album. it's not bad as in laughable bad. It's just plain bad. // 3

St. Anger Reviewed by: geluidsterroris, on july 04, 2007

Sound: In May 2007, the album was featured in Q magazines "10 Most Insane Albums Ever"; due to James Hetfield's recording hours, alcohol problems and the departure of Jason Newsted, then underneath a section of the article with the heading: "Is It Any Good?"; it says the production is "tinny" and that the songs "just aren't good enough" and says that Hetfield's singing is out of key. // 5

Lyrics: The lyrics are pretty clear. It's about things like alcoholism, drug addicts and the way they can affect you. I don't think this is really special becuase there have been loads of songs about this. I don't like the singing. I used to love metallica, but this album was awful compared to the older albums like 'master of puppets'. The singing is just a bit of screaming into the microphone. I'm sorry James. // 4

Overall Impression: Like I said before, I can't compare it to any other album from metallica, or any other artist. There might be comparable albums, but I don't like this type of music, so if there would be any, I won't find out. Maybe you will like it, so first try it before you make up an opinion, but I think that the real metallica fans won't appreciate this album. // 6

St. Anger Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 09, 2007

Sound: This is probably one of the most controversial albums of any band that came out with a CD to date. Half the people like it and half the people don't. The reason is because Metallica tuned their guitars to drop C this album, the vocals and instrumentals are sloppy, the snare isn't tuned right, and there's no guitar solos, a must for metallica. But, they did that for a reason. They wanted to make a record that released all of their anger, and this was the best style to do it like. Sure this album is different, but that dosen't make it bad. // 10

Lyrics: There are some clever lyrics, because in this album, james let Kirk and Lars make some lyrics. However, since there are more lyrics, a lot of them don't make much sense, dosen't go with the music, and gets kind of repetetive. The singing style is okay, but not as good as older stuff (james ruined his voice during the black album). What amazed me was him doing "Fran-tic-tic-tic" in one breath, which was pretty good. // 10

Overall Impression: This album is one of a kind and unique. It dosen't really compare to anything else (except maybe a godsmack album). The most impressive song is Some kind of Monster. It has awesome lyrics, great singing, and cool guitar. Plus it's the only song on the album with somewhat of a guitar solo at the beggining and end of the songs. It must have taken a lot of balls to change their style like this, and I repsect them for that. The only think I don't like about this album is the fact that it has no guitar solo's. If it did, it would be 99% better than it already is (it's a decent album, I like it). // 10

St. Anger Reviewed by: blazerok, on december 17, 2007

Sound: Well lets talk about a new abum from a little local band named Metallica (just kidding). This album is really different from other successfull albums of the famous rockers, and most of the fans didn't liked it because of that. It's defenitely not the same kind of music that they were doing 20 years ago, but the songs are still really good, in my opinion. However, the sound of the instruments are not as good as they were in the first Metallica albums (especially the snare on the drum, wich sound like a metal wastebasket). // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics on this album are okay, but I think James were much better with Lyrics when he wrote Ride The Lightning, MOP, or ...And Justice For All. Some song lyrics don't have much sens (Dirty Window, for example), but I don't bother much. Anyway, I think the lyrics are the worst parts of the album. // 7

Overall Impression: All in all, this CD is good, but very different from his older brothers (previous Metallica albums). I think it's the reason why we must not compare it to other metallica records. I think that more people would loved the album if it were not made by Metallica, because this album was not in the same style of the good old Metallica trash albums. // 8

St. Anger Reviewed by: nfldguitarist, on february 25, 2008

Sound: What can I say about this album. Criticizing the sound of this album is like picking on a special kid. You feel bad after criticizing this album. The first thing is what is up with Lars' drums, they sound like he was playing with pots and pans. Maybe he lost his drumset. Who knows. Metallica were trying to be nu thrash metal or something, either way there were no songs worth mentioning and everything was way underproduced for Metallica. Again if I say anything bad I feel like I'm pickin on a retard. // 1

Lyrics: The lyrics were metallica trying to do nu metal's emotional lyrics but they come off weird coming from 40 year old millionaires. Anyway Hetfields vocals are obviously off pitch and you can hear him hit the wrong note on most of the albums tracks (minus the title track). I guess they were trying to make an angrier sound so the lyrics are attempted to be angry and I guess they should be applauded for that. // 2

Overall Impression: This is undoubtedly metallicas worst album of all time. There is absolutley no thrash purity from this album. What we got was Reload mixed with disturbed minus metallicas solo's. The only thing is that Metallica tried to make a throw back to albums like Kill em All and Master of Puppets. The songs just lack the musical quality and agression and songwriting ability that metallica displayed on all there other albums. Relaod is where I personally see the End point and personally I saw this coming about a mile away. I think that this should be used as a torture device and anybody who wants to steal it they are welcome to it. // 1

St. Anger Reviewed by: metallica_121, on april 28, 2008

Sound: Metallica was going through an Earth formed hell around the time of working on this CD, they lost long-time bassist Jason Newsted, James was having problems with alcohol and other "addictions" and as a result went to rehab and therapy for a number of months during the recording and the others (Lars, Kirk and Bob) were worried when/if he'd return. The band hired a majorly over-priced therapist to try and help them (in the DVD I think he does all) and they came into the studio with absolutely no material and just took it from there. From all these problems and traumas you get the album St Anger, people bash this album continuosly because apparently it isn't a "Metallica album" well then who the is it, the cover clearly says "Metallica" clearly, I see metallica playing the songs, so it's Metallica, I believe this album is awesome, it's completely different from previous classics such as RTL MOP, but I like change, change is good, if there wasn't change then music wouldn't change and you'd constantly get kill 'em all weneva metallica released and album, that'd suck. I love this album, I luv the rawr power being unleashed from the tracks, some of these songs are in my top favourite metallica songs of all-time, I wouldn't clash it againstt MOP becuz it just too different. I don't care that there's no solos, if there's down-tuned guitars or if the drums sound like steel barrels, I love it, infact I think the drums give the album a very heavy feeling to em, especially during tracks such as "Frantic," "Dirty Window" and "All Within My Hands" this album is mega-heavy and I relly enjoy the sound they put in it. // 10

Lyrics: I love the way james gives out the lyrics in the song, although they aren't comlex songs lyric or guitar-wise I still think he sets em off well, I can definetly feel his emotion in these songs (not that I couldn't feel em in the other albums but this is different). I believe James put 100% into the vocal skills and relly gives the listener a look into what the band was going through at the time. // 9

Overall Impression: I absolutely love this album and I won't stand back into the background while asses bash it for being different, I will always enjoy this album and I will always love Metallica, this is one of my favourite albums and I love turning to up to full ball and just thrashing away to the brilliance which is st anger. If you hate me or this album, go smoke a doobie. // 10

St. Anger Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 19, 2008

Sound: Not bad, but I know they could have done better. I'm not so sure drop-c tunig was a good choice for them. The vocals and music does, however, blend well together. The better soungs were, "Frantic", "St. Anger", "Some Kind of Monster", "Dirty Window", and "The Unnamed Feeling". Othe rthan that the rest are just ok. Different, but that doesn't mena it's terrible. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics are harsher, more raw, and simply more brutal than Hetfeild has ever tried before. I think he did fairly well. He definately put a lot more kick into it this time around. I'm don't think it was a bad decision, only because I tihnk it was nice to see another side of him, lyrically. I still say hegoes back to the way he sang on The Black Album or Master of Puppets. // 7

Overall Impression: It compares with other artists with a fair fight. Nothing amazing, but not terrible. It did show a lot of talent. I see more effort put into it when compared to Load or ReLoad. The only thing I hated was the absence of guitar solos. The fact that Kirk stuck to rifffs as the highpoints of the song, rather than solos, just wasn't a great decision. Still, they did good and if I lost it, I would buy it again. // 8

St. Anger Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 19, 2008

Sound: First of all, I want to tell you guys that I grew up with Metallica. I had my old teddy bear and I used to beat the shit out of him listening to and justice for all or master of puppets(I was 11 I think) cause my brother went throw his metal faze just in that period and I had Sepultura, Megadeth, Iron Maiden and Metallica to choose from(By the way, I'm from Romania..this was in the 90's after the communist regime collapsed, so all the metal flooded teenagers all in a single tide). I know what raw energy and metal is! Load and Reload didn't do much for me. A few songs are great but they aren't pure metal(but quite enjoyable: Bleeding me, Outlaw thorn, Fixxxer, Devil's Dance). Heavy rock maybe..just maybe. St Anger hit me like a brick. It's raw, furious and the least radio-friendly album Metallica has ever made(even Kill'em all has more mainstream songs like Hit the lights which in my opinion sounds a little bit like glam-metal). I agree the sound may offend old-school metal lovers, but the guitar riffs and guitar tone practically reinvent what a metal vibe should fell like( basically crushing your spirit to a pulp, but feeling so free afterward). Unfortunately, Lars had a poor choice of snare. Even though in some songs the drums have an excellent flow, the cling-cling of cans is utterly awful(Some kind of monster). Solos would also have been an improvement. Purify, in my opinion, would be epic if they had shorten up the song and added an electrifying solo maybe in the style of songs from Reload(classic metal solos, from earlier albums, or from Megadeth or Iron Maiden, wouldn't work. They don't have the right vibes for these songs). // 8

Lyrics: James was a little bit confused and you can feel that. Some lyrics feel right (Purify or Unnamed Feeling) but some of them are hard to figure out. On the other hand I like his tone without any constraints, listen to Dirty Window for example. He doesn't sound pretty, he doesn't what to sound in tune, James just wants to fuucking say what he wants to and attitude is what counts in metal. // 7

Overall Impression: Good album. Not revolutionary, not brilliant, but brutal. It's not Nu-metal people, it's heavy metal! Just look at how songs are organized and the main riffs. Three songs made the album a good one: St anger, Unnamed Feeling and Purify. I didn't make a review for Death Magnetic because it's still early. Let the album mature for a couple of years, like I did with St anger. If you don't believe the album is worth listening try experiencing the songs when you are exactly in the state they describe.(go with St anger with anger. Please do this little experiment and then say they don't mean anything). // 8

St. Anger Reviewed by: JTGdood, on november 19, 2008

Sound: So, this album sets itself much apart from their last two piles of crap, load and reload, are horible excuses for albums. unlike the last two albums this is actually metal. I think that it is a step in the right direction. but going in depth. C guitars! That's bull, it's seems that no one thinks you can make heavy music in good old standard E tuning. What the hell is that? I don't know why they did it, but I gotta say I am not a fan. and the biggest problem on the album is the drums! I don't know how lars thought his kit sounded good!. I can't tell if he is beatin on a trash can or an acutal snare. My god, the man has never had good drum tunings but this was an alltime low. Which sucks because the drummin on the album is actually good. If only he could make his bass clearer turn down the hi hats and tune his damn snare. He would sound much much better. // 6

Lyrics: As far as lyrics go, they suck. In the past metallica lyrics were clever, good metaphors and the like but this album has the worst lyrics ever, you would think james has never written any lyrics before. very un impressed. fran tic tic tock? the hell is that? it sounds infinitly bad. invisible kid is just awful. I don't know what was running through james' head when he wrote those lyrics, it all rhymes and in a shitty way, man. What happenend to good lyrics james? soberin up doesn't agree with your writin man. // 2

Overall Impression: Over all, the album is better than lead and reload, but if you were to try to compare this to the likes of master of puppets it would fail miserably. I don't think they will ever be as good as ride the lightning or justice. So we just have to deal with what ever crap they give us I guess. // 6

St. Anger Reviewed by: W METALLICA W, on january 06, 2009

Sound: The sound of St. Anger is very dark and de-tuned (to drop C). There's no solo's which I thought was interesting but annoying because Kirk is always impressive in that department. A lot of palm muting and open chord's (maybe the most they've ever had in one album). I'll give it a 7/10 because I know why they wanted the record to sound this way after watching the some kind of monster DVD. But the production quality just wasn't there. // 7

Lyrics: The lyrics are actually fantastic in this album but I believe they're really overlooked. The band came together and everyone contributed to the song lyrics (even Lars..). It's quite a dark theme but some lines are just brilliant. "Maim this for me, heat the cold air and take the chill off of my life, and if I could I'd turn my eyes to look inside, to see what's coming" just good stuff right there. James' voice is what it is nowadays just accept it for what it is. He'll never sing again like he did in the 80's. (and the 90's somewhat). // 9

Overall Impression: I wouldn't compare St. Anger to any album or any artist, It's totally unique and has a storyline that goes with it (the some kind of monster DVD). My most impressive songs where The Unnamed Feeling, St. Anger, My World, Frantic, and All Within My Hands (but they're all quite good). I love the lyrics and the darkness to the album but I hate the sound production. I would definitely purchase it again if I lost it or if it got stolen. // 8

St. Anger Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 06, 2009

Sound: This album was released in 2003. The sound isn't very great though, you can see that they are trying to capture more of a "raw" sound. However, The snare is very unappealing so that's a point off, and I think the distortion isn't heavy enough. However, this album is chock full of heavy riffs, shame they didn't have any solos since that is normal for metallica leaving fans disappointed. // 7

Lyrics: James lyrics are always very well done, he has skill in writing good lyrics, they're gritty, In you face and angry. His singing skills are very good, he can't sing like in the 80s since he blew his vocal chords in the recording of the black album, however he has a lot of grit in his voice for a 40 year old singer. I love it when he screams his head off when he sings "fran-tic-tic-tic-tic-tic-tic-toc!" // 8

Overall Impression: I'm an old metallica fan, and people will complain and criticize this album a lot I can tell ya that. I hated this album the first time I heard it but I still gave it a chance and I think this is a superb album. The snare is very unappealing and no solos will cause a lot of fans complaining. Fans will also complain since this album is tuned down to drop C... I don't understand when people start calling this album nu-metal, that is utter bullshit, this album is what we call thrash metal, it's fast and in your face. My favourite 3 songs are: Some kind of monster, Frantic and St. Anger. Very well done metallica. // 7

St. Anger Reviewed by: unregistered, on august 14, 2009

Sound: This album's sound is a cacophany of awful noise that sounds like a bunch of little kids jamming in Metallica's studio. Sure, I haven't heard any of the songs in their entirety, but I did watch "Some Kind of Monster," and I really don't want to. Whether it be the awful coffee-can clang of the drums, the crappy mess of the guitars or the whiny singing, this album fails on all counts. And the band's excuse for this tub of nuclear waste? "It's like a band that's first jamming together." That's Bull! I could probably form a band right now and it would sound better than this! Arrgh... It's bad enough how much they oversimplified and crappified themselves on Load and ReLoad, but this is the peak of their crappiness. (Sigh) Sad, hut True. Ha-ha! // 1

Lyrics: To say the least, the lyrics on this album are crap that wouldn't be found on any of the good albums. "Tick-tock frantic, Tick-tock frantic," "Shoot me again, huh huh. Shoot me again huh huh," etc. What stupid and childish pap. It really doesn't help that James sounds like he is throwing a tantrum a la 3-year-old when he is singing this stuff either. Yet again, sad but true. // 1

Overall Impression: Unmitigated crap. Those are the two words that describe this album best. Everything about it sucks, and I don't understand how Anyone At All would mention it in the same breath as the first four or five albums for all the reasons I have mentioned in this review. It's just an annoying cacophany of crap 'n' pap from what we all know is a skilled group of musicians that will forever shame their name to some degree. Heck, in Death Magnetic (their latest album), there is still some residual crappiness, such as James's crappy tantrum voice on some of the songs. I haven't bought the album, but if I did, I would be elated if it were lost or stolen. Heck, if it were stolen, I would laugh at the idiot thief, as he either doesn't know what good metal is, or he is about to have the worst experience in his sad life. In the end, everything about this album is sad but true. // 1

St. Anger Reviewed by: konner91210, on august 25, 2010

Sound: They sound like a garage band that went to one of the most expensive studios in the world and recorded an album. That not a bad thing, it just sounds like that. Lars Ulrich's snare drum really hits you the face and James Hetfield's lyrics move you, but I get into more detail later. You can't really hear the bass line in most songs, though, still not a bad thing. Metallica takes away guitar solos for a more garage band sound, which WAS a bad thing, but it still is a great sound. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics were powerful and moving, especially the title track, "St. Anger". The lyrics deal mostly with the devil and could be one of Metallica's most underapperciated albums. It's lyrics were written by James when he was in rehab for alcholism. He talks about suicide, death, hatred, standard emo band stuff, but Metallica puts their singinture edge on every song. The lyrics are straight out of an emo's throat, but the music is out of Metallica's guitars. But still, a little more orginallity would be nice. // 9

Overall Impression: Overall, Metallica stills has their edge over all these years and this rehab-induced album is just a little bit short of a modern day masterpeice. More orginal lyrics and some more solos would make this album perfect. Sorry, James, but you just fell short of another "Black Album" but still a great album and I encourge all those who want to hear Metallica, in the purest form, to go buy this album. This is Metallica, raw and uncut, this is Metallica. // 9

St. Anger Reviewed by: xxDethklokxx, on october 01, 2010

Sound: The sound is one flaw. It's very murky, underwater. Like listening to something while half asleep. One thing most people hate is the snare. Its real loose, raw. But it defines the album. It gives St. Anger that feel of hate without being destructive and screaming. Lack of solos? No problem. It adds the feel of blind rage. Granted, some songs are repetitive and just should not have been included (Purify? I don't think so...) But other small bits, like Hetfield's screams of "KILL KILL KILL KILL KILL!" And the almost whiny lament in "Invisible Kid" really stand out. // 7

Lyrics: The lyrics FINALLY take a step away from the introspective/fiction bullsh*t of "Load" and ReLoad (which had good songs, make no mistake- but "Ronnie" and "Hero of the Day"? Good god, make it STOP.) It is looking inward, but not so directly and nauseatingly as some before it. Not violent, but more searching for answers, and again, dreamlike. // 10

Overall Impression: FRICKIN SWEET. But, yanno, has it's little moments of... ick. Would buy again. Best song? FRANTIC. I absolutely love the tie-in movie, "Some Kind of Monster." Hates? "Purify." Why everyone hates this album? Beats me. // 10

St. Anger Reviewed by: Slayer35, on july 30, 2012

Sound: This album was my first real taste of Metallica and I loved the anger James put into the lyrics. I first heard "The Unnamed Feeling" and after that, I was hooked on Metallica. I know a lot of people hate the sound, but I love it, the drums fit well and I don't mind them at all. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics on the album can be hit and miss for me. Lyrics on "St. Anger", "Frantic", "The Unnamed Feeling", "Shoot Me Again", and "Sweet Amber" are amazing, while some like "Purify" are good songs, but lyrically they can be better, but he sings them so well I do not mind. Along with All within my hands, I don't find the ending particularly enjoyable when James screams "Kill a bunch". James always has had an amazing voice and it really shows on this album and this, along with "Load" and "ReLoad" are some of my favorite albums. // 9

Overall Impression: It holds its own. I would listen to this album over any of Pantera's records any day. The most impressive songs have to be "St. Anger" and "The Unnamed Feeling", both gold mines for symbolism and metaphors, and you are able to vent whatever anger you have out by listening to this album. // 10

More Metallica reviews rating latest review
+ King Nothing [Single] 9.5 05/26/2014