A To B: Life Review

mewithoutyou: A To B: Life
Release Date: Jun 18, 2002
Label: Tooth & Nail
Genres: Punk Revival
It's an impressive album from a group who had only been together for two years prior to its release in 2002.
 9.7
 9.3
review (1) 3 comments vote for this album:
A To B: Life Reviewed by: unregistered, on march 25, 2006

Sound: This band has a very unique sound, primarily due to Aaron Weiss's vocals. Everyone says this about every record, but his vocals really are unlike just about anything else out there. He screams some, but much of the cd he uses an almost creepy approach that is difficult to describe. Maybe you could say he doesn't so much scream as whine. For those of you have or have heard Catch for Us The Foxes, this CD is much harsher, much more enraged. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics are almost without question the best reason for buying this CD. They are incredible on every level. Both of the Weiss brothers were English majors, and it shows. The lyrics are the most haunting and poetic I have heard from any band. Their union with the music is unbelieveable, the rage and anguish in the lyrics mirrors the music. One warning: the lyrics have a definite emo flavor, so if you're put off by lyrics about failed relationships and the resulting pain and anger, you will probably enjoy Catch For Us The Foxes more than this album. // 10

Overall Impression: I'm typically a metal fan, and next to some of the metalcore bands like Darkest Hour, the guitar work is not impressive. But this CD isn't about showy guitar work, it's about overall effect and song (especially lyrics) writing. I absolutely love this CD. If you want a CD you can get into and scream along with, this is absolutely a must have. I would call it emo, but it sounds nothing like the typical emo band. 3 of my favorite songs are on this CD. Gentlemen is unbelievable, the way he is able to put all of that rage into a song. It could be the stalker national anthem. Nice and Blue has an unreal screaming part at the end, preceded by a lengthy interlude of atmospheric guitar work. And I don't even know what to say about The Silencer. // 10

More Mewithoutyou reviews rating latest review
+ Ten Stories 8.8 09/28/2012