Brother, Sister Review

mewithoutyou: Brother, Sister
Release Date: Sep 26, 2006
Label: Tooth & Nail
Genres: Christian Punk, Post-Grunge, Punk Revival
As a band that refuses to fall in line a just another hardcore/emo band, Mewithoutyou's fresh new sound is continually being changed and refined heading into "Brother, Sister."
 9.4
 8.8
Brother, Sister Reviewed by: musicB0x, on april 23, 2007

Sound: Quite simply, this album is an amazing paradox. Mewithouyou is an incredibly interesting band, regardless of any of preconceived music taste. The band is lead by Aaron Weiss, an English major and incredible lyricist, whose dynamic voice lends itself perfectly to the band's musical diversity. This CD ranges in style from angry yells and overdriven, effect saturated guitar, to acoustic songs complemented by accordian. And what to call this sound? I would hazard progressive, post-hardcore, but mostly experimental. The album overall has a heavy quality, and is extremely poignant and epic. // 10

Lyrics: Aaron Weiss is the best lyricist I've ever heard. It's that simple. His singing is an "aquired taste" to say the least, but after some exposure, I've found I really like it. The singing is a balance between soliloquy/ dynamic spoken work to dramatic singing. But the lyrics alone make this band worth listening to. Somewhat comprable to Thrice's Vheissu-style lyrics, but truly unlike anything I've ever heard. Subtle lyrical genius, such as "Sun And The Moon Are My Father's Eyes" (a reference to St. Francis of Assisi) or the Arabic chants of the most epic track "Dryness And The Rain" adorn the album, without exception. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall, one of the best albums in my collection. Even the "Spider" songs, a short series of 1-2 minutes fills, are written with complete attention to detail. I'd definitely recommend going on Purevolume or Youtube to listen before buying though, to get the right idea about the band. The album is very solid overall, but the best songs would have to be 'Dryness And The Rain,' 'Wolf am I!' 'O, Porcupine,' and 'Nice and Blue Pt. II.' If you manage to track down this album (with an open mind, I'd recommend, I thought it was strange when I first heard it), you'll get the chance to hear song truly inspired music. // 10

Brother, Sister Reviewed by: Amalgam, on june 18, 2007

Sound: This band is probably one of the hardest to define in terms of style, sound, or influence. Taking cues from heavy bands, and at the same time making a deep, meaningful album that goes from soft, to loud, to slow, to hard, while always being truthful to themselves and being as original as possible. Keeping it on a dark note but always putting forth their best effort, mewithoutYou is a band you'll either love or hate, and it all comes down to a few key things. First, forget about traditional singing, and second, prepare to hear some of the best lyrics that have ever come out of our generation. Third, if you've heard mewithoutYou, this album is dark, but not like the rest. The band has cleaned up their sound and have filtered out the fuzz for a richer, crisper sound. Don't worry though, when they come hard, they still come hard. // 10

Lyrics: The best part of mewithoutYou is definitely the lyrics. Weiss, the lead man, really outdoes himself on every album, and this one is no exception. Symbolism, imagery, all the crap you hated in English class is represented on this album (and it's no wonder why, Weiss being an English Major himself). Probably some of the best lyrics would be the lead track "Messes of Men" (in my opinion of course) and the remastered Nice and Blue (aptly named "Nice and Blue Pt. 2). The band's lyrics are amazing in every aspect of the word, and if you don't hear them, you're missing out on some of the best in the business // 10

Overall Impression: My friend got me into this band. I thought I would hate them from hearing a clip of them. But I was dead wrong; this band delivers where thousands of others have fallen, keeping the meaning without being overdramatic and putting energy where it's needed and holding back at the appropriate moments. The band really outdid themselves with this masterpiece. I look forward to the next amazing album by the band. // 10

More Mewithoutyou reviews rating latest review
+ Ten Stories 8.8 09/28/2012