Congratulations Review

9.3
 9.5
review (1) 1 comment vote for this album:
Congratulations Reviewed by: guitaluva17, on march 08, 2011

Sound: MGMT's latest disc, Congratulations, is a bit of a departure from their previous album "Oracular Spectacular." While the synth is not completely gone, it no longer dominates the songs. Gone is the synth-pop of tracks like Kids and Time To Pretend. This album focus a little more on the guitar as the main conductor of the band. This album touches on such sounds as pop, soul, rock, psychedelia, funk, and even a little taste of folk thrown in. Overall, the sound of the record was quite interesting and its what really drew me to the band in the first place. They are not afraid to experiment and change up their sound, which makes for a refreshing album. // 9

Lyrics: A lot of the lyrics on this disc deal with fame and its effect on the band. Most of the "ironic" lyrics from their previous album are gone and the words are more straightforward. I think the words compliment the music nicely and vice versa. Andrew VanWyngarden is a great singer; he can really hit those high notes. I feel the band's writing has progressed greatly. No longer singing about "Electric Eels" but instead about real life problems that are more relatable. // 9

Overall Impression: It is really hard to compare this band to other artists, as they have a sound all their own. If I HAD to describe it: Prince meets Syd Barrett? I really like this album, its a very enjoyable listen. The only thing downside of the album is that it may take a few listens to get into. It's not quite mainstream, but not quite underground. I think it blows their first album out of the water and it shows that MGMT can be taken seriously as intelligent and creative songwriters. I'm sure they will be sticking around for a while. If this was lost or stolen, I would buy 2 copies and lock 1 of them in a vault so no one could steal it again. // 9

More Mgmt reviews rating latest review
+ MGMT 8.1 09/18/2013