Hands Without Shadows Review

michael angelo: Hands Without Shadows
Release Date: 2005
Label: M.A.C.E. Music
Genres: Rock
The CD is cohesive and has a central theme, sound and continuous atmosphere from beginning to end, Hands Without Shadows is Batio's uncompromising vision.
 9.5
Hands Without Shadows Reviewed by: iljh, on march 26, 2007

Sound: First of all, Michael Angelo Batio is one of the most talented (& fastest) guitarist ever! Not only can MAB play so quick with amazing tone, he can play two parts at once! This album has great songs and the sound is great. The whole album is instrumental, but that is no problem because his guitar speaks to you. The music blends together extremely well and there really isn't out of place or balance. This album has a cover of Deep Purple's "Burn", a tribute to the great Randy Rhoads playing Crazy Train and the Mr. Crowley solo, a Led Zeppelin medley, a cover of Metallica's "Wherever I May Roam" and Aerosmith's "Dream On" and a Tribute to Dylan and Hendrix with "All Along the Watchtower." But MAB also has a few original songs that you will listen to just as much as these covers listed above. // 10

Lyrics: This album is entirely instrumental (meaning no lyrics) but that is perfectly fine. He will often play the vocal line on his guitar (with great sound, by the way) and it fits/works just fine. Even if you own 0 instrumental albums, you will like this one. // 10

Overall Impression: MAB is always amazing no matter what he is playing, but this collection of songs is his best compillation in my opinion. Definately Tribute to Randy, Roam, Dream, and the title track deserve the first listen, but this is an album I can sit through and listen to the whole thing (have many times). When I saw (and met) him I didn't know anything about him, I had only seen a picture, but that was one of the greatest, most inspiring and influential nights of my life. If you can, go see him at one of his clinics and especially buy this CD. It can be hard to find, but order it on his website. If this album was gone, I would buy it before his other one. It's great, you will love it. // 10

Hands Without Shadows Reviewed by: Imperial, on october 03, 2007

Sound: I actually got this cd at one of Michael's guitar clinics in LA for about $5. plus he aughtographed it to me. Michael Angelo Batio's sound is very distinctive here. Even when theres a song where other guitarists do a solo too, you can always tell when its michael. His blazing fast solos always catch your ear. The general music style is metal and neoclasical metal. All the songs are great, and I never get tired of listening to them. HWS, Zeppelin Forever, and Tribute to Randy are my favorites. None of the solos seem repetitve because its not just the same technique used each time. It sounds incredible. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are nonexistint, because this album has none. But during songs like Tribute to Randy, Zeppelin Forever, and Dream On, he plays the vocal melody on a guitar. Besides, the tracks don't need vocals, it would only take away from the rest of the music. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall, this is a great album. Hands down the best instrumental album I have ever heard. Great guitar parts, both lead and rythm. As I said earlier, the style is mostly metal, but Zeppelin Forever, All Along The Watchtower, and Dream On aren't so heavy and Zeppelin Forever has a real nice acoustic part in the song. You will not be dissapointed in buying this CD. // 10

More Michael Angelo reviews rating latest review