Iron Man Review

Michael Burks: Iron Man
Release Date: Apr 8, 2008
Label: Alligator
Genres: Modern Electric Blues, Soul-Blues, Blues-Rock
As on previous releases, Burks' explosive guitar solos are the most notable aspect to this enthusiastic, if somewhat predictable, outing.
 9.7
 9.3
review (1) 5 comments vote for this album:
Iron Man Reviewed by: RRW Whitey, on april 08, 2008

Sound: Michael Burks style is right out of the Albert King hand book with his own agressive style of power house Blues Rock attached to each solo and a tone that has been described as a real signature tone all his own. Iron Man refers to his fierce and intense performances that last up too and many nights beyond 4 hours each over 100 gigs a year of what The Chicago Sun Times calls a Guitarist that bridges searing electric guitar blues with unbridled rock and roll energy. His style is heavly influenced by Albert King, SRV, Jimi Hendrix and Freddie King. He has won the Albert King award 2 times and has been nomanated for more than a few W.C. Handy Awards. Song of the year, Guitarist of the year and Album of the year for his I Smell Smoke Alligator realease in 2003 just to name a few. // 9

Lyrics: Michael wrote 7 of the 12 songs on Iron Man and they are destin to become Blues Standards. There is no question here as to not only his emotional vocial style and flamethrower guitar work but also to the emotion of his lyrics and his abality to combine all three aspects to deliver the phenomenal power he dilivers on this new CD. His voice is deep and soulful delivered with emotion that can only be found after playing and fronting his own bans for more than 30 years. // 10

Overall Impression: You really can't compair Michael Burks to anyone. If I had to I would say a cross between Albert King and SRV because he has many signature licks all his own just as fine as Albert and SRV that he combines to achieve his intense and fiery fretwork. Empty Promises, Ashes In My ashtray and Icepick Through My Heart are real standouts on this CD. Guitar one reciently stated that Burks is a Legend in waiting and put his 2001 Make it rain CD in the top 20 Blues CDs of all time. With this CD Iron Man the waiting is over. It was realeased today on Alligator. Michael gave me a copy a few weeks ago on the promise that I would keep a lid on it until today. Check him out if you can live. Words can't describe a Michael Burks show for those of you that love true guitar power. // 9

Comments