Menos El Oso Review

minus the bear: Menos El Oso
Release Date: Aug 23, 2005
Label: Suicide Squeeze
Genres: Indie Rock, Indie Pop
Minus The Bear invoke the modern love affair between dance driven strategy and lush, Upper Pacific sweater rock.
 9.2
 9.7
 8.7
review (1) 2 comments vote for this album:
Menos El Oso Reviewed by: Zorrobudday, on december 08, 2005

Sound: Indie meets ambient with funky ass beats on top of that. When I first heard these guys, I was blown away by the sound of it all. "Pachuca Sunrise" was the first song I heard, and it was (and still is) absolutely beautiful. Minus The Bear has a capacity for melody that I have not heard in many bands. I certainly have not heard a band with a similar sound. Every other band under the label "indie," either takes the electronic pop part too far into Postal Service rip-off areas, or too far into rock revival territory. Minus The Bear has produced a sound that has entranced me ever since I started listening to them. // 10

Lyrics: If you have heard of any of Minus The Bear's songs in the past, you know that they have been ridiculed for their lyrical content, and mostly, their song titles (some past titles include Monkey Knife Fight, Houston We Have An Uh Oh, and Thanks For That Killer Game of Crisco Twister). Apparently, they have lost most of those ridiculous titles. Jake Snider's vocals are not anything to show off, but they are perfect for this sound. Relaxed, soothing, and pleasant. // 9

Overall Impression: I honestly can't compare Menos El Oso to any other albums except for past Minus The Bear albums. So pretty much, all I can say is if you heard Menos El Oso, and liked it, pick up Highly Refind Pirates, They Make Beer Commercials Like This, and anything else they've ever recorded. You won't be disappointed. Every song has something great to offer, and most of the best parts are not caught on first listens. This is subtlety and substance over flashiness and grandeur. Yet there is still very much style. Simply amazing. // 10

More Minus The Bear reviews rating latest review