Cuts From The Crypt Review

misfits: Cuts From The Crypt
Release Date: Oct 30, 2001
Label: Roadrunner
Genres: Heavy Metal, Punk, American Underground
Cuts From The Crypt is obviously aimed at the die-hard Misfits fan, who won't get a good night's rest until they have every single track in their possession.
 8.5
 8.3
 8.6
review (1) 1 comment vote for this album:
Cuts From The Crypt Reviewed by: d00diseeyou, on june 28, 2007

Sound: The Misfits release of their demos and recordings. All of these recordings were done during the American Psycho and Famous Monsters sessions, minus a few select songs. Graves is the present vocalist on all but Monster Mash and Rise Above (Live). The Misfits still don't cease to amaze me with their ghoulish lyrics, heavy distorted guitars, pounding bass, and strong drum beats. The sound quality on this record is amazing. It practically could top American Psycho, and rival against Famous Monsters in quality music and lyrics. Exceptional sound and guitar work can be heard on Dr. Phibes Rises Again. A song originally from Jerry's and Doyle's unsuccessful band, Kryst the Conqueror, this six minute long metal influenced song shows off Doyle's less than credited guitar skills and marks the first time a double bass has been used in a Misfits record. As always, while there are songs that sound great, their still the ear busters. I Wanna be a NY Ranger can fall under this one. While it's still a great tune, it's sound (which sounds close to We Are 138) can get annoying. The same three chords are used repeatedly with excessive distortion reflects their Danzig 'era roots. // 8

Lyrics: Grave's voice is amazing on Cuts from the Crypt. His voice sounds more precise, not jumbled as some older songs show his voice to be. His lyrics have seemed to have improved greatly. Instead of the same horror and ghoulish lyrics, he has incorporated different lyrics settings. Like in the songs I Wanna be a NY Ranger, I Got A Right, and No More Moments. Graves' voice has really become a more definitive punk rock voice, and it sets the album mode exceptionally well. With this, the lyric sit very well with the songs on the album. // 8

Overall Impression: This album overall is a great buy for any Misfits fan, whether it's for your collection, or for your car. It might not be the best album out there, but it's close to the top of the punk albums put out. Songs like Dr. Phibes Rises Again, and Dead Kings Rise are probably the best songs on the album, and if you don't buy the album, atleast check those to out. They're instant punk classics. I like how the Misfits have progressed over the years, and also that they've released an album showing us what they could've sounded like or been like, giving us idea's of what could come in the future. I would definitely replace this album if lost or stolen, it's one of my favorites and a great listen. I wouldn't get another album over it. // 9

More Misfits reviews rating latest review
+ DEA.D. Alive! 6.3 02/06/2013