Apologies Are For The Weak Review

8.9
 9.5
 8.3
Apologies Are For The Weak Reviewed by: Mahino, on november 03, 2010

Sound: This is the first full length album by Miss May I and it's amazing what they created! I will just do a song-by-song review. 01. A Dance With Aera Cura: This is a perfect opener to this brutal record! Very cool ending breakdown and some sick guitar lines. 02. Architect: Probably my favorite song of all time by MMI, this song is perfect in every way, the drum intro, choruses, verses, breakdowns and especially the lyrics. The clean vox in this song are freaking amazing! 03. Not Our Tomorrow: Very nice song, soms nice guitars, nothing special. 04. Arms Of The Messiah: This song is so heavy, it will crush you spine! Some insane drums as well. 05. Apologies Are For The Weak: Sick intro/outro! Very good lyrics, definitely check this one out! 06. Harlots Breath: I really like this song because of the lyrics and heaviness very nice intro. 07. Tides: One of my favorite songs, very VERY sick intro! Rest of the song is really nice as well. 08. Blessing With A Curse: This song never really got me, but it's okay. 09. Porcelain Wings: My Eyes Are Bloodshot! They Have Seen The Damned! This song is totally beast, it was one of their first songs as well, but at first it was called ''NoNeedToWhipADeadHorse''. This song is totally what MMI is about! 10. Forgive And Forget: This is the second best song on this album, definitely! Perhaps the best intro I have ever heard, and heaviest breakdown ever by MMI. Check this one out! The sound quality is perfect on every single song as well! // 10

Lyrics: These lyrics are totally amazing! Levi sings about almost anything you can imagine, but I personally think het uses too much metaphores. There mainly are 4 kinds of vocals on this album, all mixed together: You offcourse have the clean vocals (Ryan Neff, Bass), the very high pitched screams, the mid range screams/shouts and the very low and deep growls, which is love the most. // 10

Overall Impression: This album is insanely heavy! If you love metalcore, with lots of really heavy guitar riffs, very sick breakdowns, and nice clean vocals than this album is perfect for you! Songs you should definitely check out: A Dance With Aera Cura, Architect and Forgive And Forget! There are simply no negative things I can tell you about this album and trust me, I have heard A LOT of metalcore bands, but Miss May I is the very best of the best for me. (They also have a second album, Monument, it's even better, best metalcore album I have heard in my life) // 10

Apologies Are For The Weak Reviewed by: dantherocker1, on april 03, 2012

Sound: Miss May I is a metalcore band from Dayton, Ohio that adds elements of thrash and melodic death metal into their music. The overall sound on this album is amazing. Every member of this band is very talented for their age (No members older than 19 at the time) The drummer is crazy with punishing double bass and complex fills. The guitarists play very fast and complicated riffs, complete with chugging and tremolo picking, and the bassist follows along. The breakdowns are also very heavy, but are nothing new for this genre. The only downside to the music really is that the band barely does anything outside of their boundaries, they mostly stick to thrashy metalcore, and never really step outside the line. // 9

Lyrics: Lyrics are very interesting, and mostly talk about our dying world. They are very dark and fit with the music well. Levi Benton is an amazing screamer, and he can do it all, high pitched shrieks, guttural growls and mids. The clean vocals are almost as good, and compliment the screams very nicely. // 9

Overall Impression: This album is definitely for fans of TDWP, BMTH and AILD. The most impressive tracks are "Architect", "Forgive And Forget" and "Harlots Breath". I love the screams, the fast riffage and the heavy drumming. This band and this particular album are a major influence on the stuff I'm writing for my band right now. I wish I would have actually bought the album now, because it's amazing. // 9

More Miss May I reviews rating latest review