Building Nothing Out Of Something Review

modest mouse: Building Nothing Out Of Something
Released: Jan 18, 2000
Genre: Rock
Styles: Alternative Pop/Rock, Indie Rock, Emo, Noise Pop, Lo-Fi
Building Nothing Out of Something collects Modest Mouse singles and rare tracks from the group's indie-label years.
 9.6
 9.3
 9.9
review (1) 2 comments vote for this album:
Building Nothing Out Of Something Reviewed by: Click You, on september 01, 2004

Sound: This is the Modest Mouse I know and love. Raw, edgy, and unapologetic, Modest Mouse blends 12 beautiful (for lack of a better word) tracks ranging from guitar driven indie riffs as in 'Never Ending Math Equation' to trippy, almost dream-like ditties like 'Sleepwalkin'. Modest Mouse like this is like sushi you either love it or hate it. This is nothing like Good News, the new album. Comparing this album and the new one, I would say Building Nothing sounds more like art than music. // 10

Lyrics: Isaac seems to speak from the heart in all of his albums. His lyrics don't resemble anything else I've heard. They're inventive and figurative, yet straight to the point. They unabashadly reveal innermost thoughts and feelings, and isn't that what music is about? The ability to invoke feeling. His unconventional voice and style of singing seem to fit the simple, yet powerful instrumentals like interlocking tetris blocks. // 8

Overall Impression: I have been listening to Modest Mouse for years, and this is my favorite album of theirs at the moment. For those of you looking for some good music as an alternative to the stuff on repeat on the radio/tv, this is a great bet. Very different than mainstream rock today. I have 2 copies because I lost my copy and paniced, bought another copy and here I am today with 2 copies. I just didn't look hard enough when I lost the first one. My favorite song from this album is probably 'Whenever You Breathe Out, I Breathe In (Positive Negative)' - a depressed, slow riff builds into a hopeful goose bump inducing jam. Also check out 'Interstate 8'- the chorus of which the artist seems to empty his soul. Exhilerating. // 10

More Modest Mouse reviews rating latest review