Good News For People Who Love Bad News Review

artist: modest mouse date: 09/05/2006 category: compact discs
modest mouse: Good News For People Who Love Bad News
Released: Apr 6, 2004
Genre: Rock
Tones: Earnest, Brash, Volatile, Cathartic, Rousing, Fiery, Confrontational, Reflective, Urgent
Styles: Indie Rock
 Lyrics: 6.5
 7.7
 8.3
Good News For People Who Love Bad News Reviewed by: gman9889, on june 14, 2005

Sound: "Good News For People Who Love Bad News" marked a major departure from the sound of Modest Mouse's earlier. Gone are the lengthy eight minute, spacy songs found on "The Lonesome Crowded West." Isaac Brock, leader of the group, has defintely moved towards a more mainstream sound; they've even scored a top 40 hit with "Float On." The album is an incredible blend of many different types of sounds. These sounds range from acoustic sounds on "Blame It On The Tetons," to classic indie with "World At Large," to edgy rock found on "Bury Me With It." Brock plays a banjo on several tracks, which actualy works with his voice quite well. The songs still have a relaxed feel; the band places space and breaks in the music that can make it relaxing or driving. Overall, the album has a unique flow that is is a refreshing break from the driving power chords and repetitive riffs of other bands. // 10

Lyrics: Brock's voice is one of the most unqiue I have ever heard. Although at first it sounds a bit harsh and out there, it fits his songs perfectly. Many of his songs are sung in a barking sound (i.e. "Float On"), but he can also bring his voice down to a soft melody. The lyrics are fairly decent and works with the music to create a good sound. They flow well and uses some metaphors that'll make you think, but some of these lines are repetitive and overused, adding a low note to the album. // 6

Overall Impression: This album really blew me away when I heard it. It used so many different sounds and styles and it sounded like nothing I've ever heard before. For anyone looking for a break from pop/punk music played on the radio, this album will be very appealing. Some of the best songs on the album are "Ocean Breathes Salty," which scored a minor hit, and "The View," a upbeat, powerful rock song. This CD isn't for everbody however. Although it appears on a mainstream record label, it still is aimed more towards indie rockers than anyone else. But this album was definitely worth every cent and was one of the best released in 2004. // 10

Good News For People Who Love Bad News Reviewed by: Floyd93, on november 27, 2004

Sound: The album's sound is a real mixed bag. There are some great songs on the album like "The World At Large", "Ocean Breathes Salty", "Blame It On The Tetons", and "Black Cadillacs". But, unfortunatly, some of the songs sound horrible. "The Devil's Workday" sounds like Modest Mouse didn't even try to make the song sound good. I think the sound of the album would be better if they didn't try to put a million instruments on every song. They were trying too hard to make the songs sound great, but half of them sound like crap. // 6

Lyrics: The lyrics are too obsessed with death. Just listen to "Dig Your Grave", "Bury Me With It", and "The Devil's Workday". Those songs all have lyrical and title references to death. "Ocean Breathes Salty" is a song questioning the afterlife's existence. See, another death theme! The lyrics are bland and boring. Isaac Brock's voice usually sounds like a rusty nail on a chalkboard. Sometimes I listen to the songs and say, "His voice sounds like crap!" // 2

Overall Impression: This is a bad album. There are some songs that are absolutly unnessicary like "Horn Intro", "Dig Your Grave", and "Interlude (Milo)." I don't even see why those songs are on the album. If it were stolen, I probably wouldn't go out and buy another copy. I'd probably go buy something else so it wouldn't even seem like I lost anything. The album has a few good songs on it, but not many. This was a dissapointment and doesn't compare to other Modest Mouse albums. // 4

Good News For People Who Love Bad News Reviewed by: momouse11, on december 27, 2004

Sound: If you are thinking about buying the new modest mouse cd, you should. (Modest Mouse is not a new band, they have several albums). This cd brings out a different side to modest mouse compared to their other albums. On this album they take a different approach to reach listeners. "Float on", is one example, compared to other songs from modest mouse it is totally different. Isaac Brock the vocals of the band creates lyrics of life and death with happier melodies. If you happen to hear thi album and like it, I would suggest buying the Lonesome and Crowded West album. This will help you get a good idea of what Modest Mouse is really about. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics in this album are about life and death mainly. One of my favorite songs on this album is "The Good Times Are Killing Me". The lyrics on some of the songs do not really fit with the sound of the insruments. Though the lyrics in some songs are about death, the melody is upbeat. Isaac Brock in this album has done a great job in vocals. He still manages to bust out some great vocals in this album. // 8

Overall Impression: If compared to other albums, this album to me is a different but good at the same time. It lets you see a different side of Modest Mouse. My favorite songs on this album are, "Good Times Are Killing Me", "Bury Me With It", and "Blame It On The Tetons". This album is great even for the fans of Modest Mouse, myself, it's another album consisting of the great sound of Modest Mouse. If this album was stolen or lost, definately go and buy it again. If you like this album, you will like the others. // 10

Good News For People Who Love Bad News Reviewed by: *Truly Ninja*, on april 08, 2004

Sound: I'm tired of hearing that this album is what we've come to expect from Modest Mouse. This album is like no Mouse album I've ever heard. What I love about the sound on this album is the cornucopia of musical instruments used on these tracks. The horns (provided by the Dirty Dozen Brass Band) make this album what it is. Really, really scary. Listening to this music with the ligths out had me in a cold sweat due mainly to the eerie sound of the horns that accompany scary lyrics like "gonna take this bag of puppies, gonna set it out to freeze!" But I'm getting ahead of myself... // 8

Lyrics: Of course we have Isaac Brock's redneck, quavering voice that you can't help but love spewing out memorable catchphrases like "If god takes life he's an indian giver!" or "We're done, done, done, with all the fuck, fuck, fucking around!" but it seems that on their sixth album this has lost some of its charm. Oh well, they're still good for putting in your sig. // 6

Overall Impression: As of this writing, I'm not sure how it compares to the other mouse albums (I am positive that it is even a farther stretch from their earlier material than the lush, nearly perfect "The Moon and Antarctica", and in a complete different direction. A scary one.) Although I am a bit disappointed at the lack of a 7+ minute song, the songs on this album are nearly all great, albeit chilling with their macabre lyrics and harsh tones. Worth buying for everyone who's not afraid to think about the music they buy. // 8

Good News For People Who Love Bad News Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 11, 2004

Sound: It is not like most Modest Mouse from previous years. This new sound is more for pleasing the masses then just their little group of fans. The song Float On will probasbly bring Mouse's folk/rock/psychadelic sound to the people who have never gotten into this type of music. // 8

Lyrics: Good lyrics but not as much thought put into them as in previous releases. And the lead singer has never had a good singing voice but it does compliment the music very well. // 6

Overall Impression: Not as good as The Moon & Antartica but still a great alblm worthy of your $15.00. // 8

Good News For People Who Love Bad News Reviewed by: im not mental, on july 15, 2004

Sound: Let me start off by saying, this is the only MM cd in my collection. The sound is good. It's really catchy. I had the world at large stuck in my head for days. // 8

Lyrics: Most times I can't understand a word the guy is saying. And I thought the lyrics are pretty weird. But I guess it's their way of being original. // 6

Overall Impression: Like I said, this is the only Modest Mouse cd I own. My fave songs are Float On, The World At Large, Dance Hall, and Bury Me With It. I love the catchiness, and I don't like the lyrics too much. If someone stole it or it got lost, I'd ask my cousin to burn it for me. // 6

Good News For People Who Love Bad News Reviewed by: unregistered, on august 17, 2004

Sound: A great sound always describes Modest Mouse. I contain all of the Modest Mouse CD's,songs, and records. The sound has changed over the years not always the greatest but its a sound to love. Isaac uses many tools and gadgets in this new album but only to please the viewer (or like him, himeself).Good News does have some new sounds and a little but poppy tones, especially with "Float On". But float on is a song for him to regain life. Isaac has been a depressed guy. Maybe if people knew that, they would understand his lyrics and music so live with the song you people who call it too catchy. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics of this new album contain the most truth in Isaac's life. In his interview with Rolling Stone he tells all about that. The lyrics match all of what he is feeling then and even now. I know the lyrics are odd but thats just how he describes them, something like his old lyrics but nothing the same. Now to add on that Isaac has a perfect voice for what band he is in and what music he is making. // 10

Overall Impression: You can never say a bands new CD can compare to the old one just because everyone changes and so then the music changes. Modest Mouse will always be an individual band you cant compare them to anyone else either. Bands should be compared to them, I mean Modest Mouse has been around for almost 11 years so you get the drift. The most impressive song is Bukowski, the reason is it says life and how he feels about God. He has some questions almost, cause he doesn't know the answer like everyone else. I save all my CD's on my computer and everything else. But if so I would for sure buy it again. // 10

Good News For People Who Love Bad News Reviewed by: nirvana91, on october 11, 2004

Sound: I like the style of this band's playing. The different instruments are all added together perfectly. I don't know how to describe the type, but it is definatly rock/alternative. I think the cd is having something to do with spiritual stuff. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are kind of confusing, but after you listen to the songs a few times you understand what they are about. When you get the cd I suggest you sit down listen to the whole cd and read the lyrics to every song. Issac Brock's singing skills are awesome. He has a strange, but cool voice that sounds a lot like Frances Black from the Pixies. // 10

Overall Impression: It doesn't compare to any other artists I've ever heard. The best songs on the album are World at Large, Float on, Bulkowski, Black Caddilacs and The Good Times Are Killing Me. All the songs are still awesome though. I love everything about this album. The artwork, the lyrics, the music. Everything. And if this Album went missing I would cry until I got a new one. // 10

Good News For People Who Love Bad News Reviewed by: NY773, on february 15, 2006

Sound: I'll be honest, this CD blew me away. I hadn't even ever heard of Modest Mouse before "Float On," and the rest of the CD was even better than that. Apparently, Modest Mouse had been a decently good band before this breakout album, "Good News For People Who Love Bad News." There is a great variety of styles shown on this record. There's hard and soft rock, and even a little New Orleans-style jazz. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics themselves were kind of hard to comprehend in the beginning, but once you find out what they are, it's really easy to sing along and get the messages this band is sending. The lyrics go well with the music on respective tracks. Isaac Brock, the singer, delivers melodies that you wouldn't expect. // 8

Overall Impression: I haven't heard too much of their other stuff, but I bought this album a year ago and it was the last one I've bought since. That shows how it compares to contemporary rock, which isn't to the standards of classic rock of the '60s and '70s. I loved the early tracks and how they flow together. I didn't especially like some of the later tracks because they stop this flow. I would buy it again if it were stolen or lost, believe that. // 9

Good News For People Who Love Bad News Reviewed by: blinker2thinker, on july 01, 2006

Sound: Lets start off by saying that this album doesn't sound a whole lot like any of the other Modest Mouse CDs. Issac Brock has really moved into some new demension of musical fusion. Some of that being good some not so good. It does still retain that "classic" Modest Mouse style where Brock's guitar is this really simple scale/riff that repeats itself a lot with some slight variation. But in this album we see alot more effects on the guitar. Something he seemingly used to shy away from. // 7

Lyrics: It's been said before but Brock must have been really really death obsessed when he wrote the lyrics. Some of the songs are positively sickningly bad "dance hall:" for example. How many times can you hear the word dance hall before you kill yourself, this song will let you know. But fear not their are some really good songs on the record. The World At Large, Float On, The Ocean Breaths Salty, Blame It On The Tetons, One Chance, and The View. The rest of the cd is pretty much crap. // 5

Overall Impression: Again this is not the best modest mouse album. You want awesome MM try The lonesome and crowded west or The Moon And Antartica. Fantastic! I am a huge Modest Mouse fan and thought they could do no wrong but I was somewhat disappointed with this CD. But not totaly. My advice download the songs mentioned above. Don't waste your time with the rest. // 7

Good News For People Who Love Bad News Reviewed by: jason344, on september 05, 2006

Sound: Let me start off by saying that I'm a big Modest Mouse fan, but this album kind of disapointed what I thought would come out of one of my favorite band. There are some good songs on here, like The World At Large, Blame It On The Tetons, Ocean Breathes Salty, Black Cadillacs, and maybe Float On. Sometimes it feels like certain members of the band just stopped trying, sometimes all at once (Devil's Workday, etc.) As for each instrument, Isaac Brock started using a lot more effects, like for some reason he just got enough money to buy some, well that's great but the effects effect the modest mouse "sound". Eric Judy didn't really do all that much on bass, especially at the later songs. Benjamin Weikal is not a fit replacement for Jeremiah Green, he isn't all that good. // 7

Lyrics: There isn't much to say about the lyrics. They're ok, but there isn't anything as special as there was in The Moon and Antarctica. It has some good lines, but nothing really that great. As for Isaac Brocks singing skills, sometimes he sounded like the regular Isaac, but most of the time it was just like he was choking on a screeching cat, yuck. // 5

Overall Impression: I don't think this album is as bad as you might think from reading my review. It isn't as great as some of their previous efforts, but it sure has it's moments. If you're a Modest Mouse fan you should definatly pick this up just to hear some of the good songs, because it's really worth it (Black Cadillac is my personal favorite), if you've never been a Mouse fan but heard Float On and liked it, then I recommend you try "The Moon and Antarctica instead. // 7

More Modest Mouse reviews rating latest review