Mr. Beast Review

mogwai: Mr. Beast
Release Date: Mar 7, 2006
Label: Matador
Genres: Post-Rock/Experimental, Indie Rock, Experimental Rock
Immediate without sounding dumbed-down, Mr. Beast shows the band at the peak of its powers.
 8.6
 7.7
 9.4
review (1) 5 comments vote for this album:
Mr. Beast Reviewed by: harl91, on august 15, 2007

Sound: Mogwai's sound is very original. If you have not ever listened to any kind of music from the genre "Post Rock", that I'm going to recommend to you now that you listen to the whole album. Don't pick at it. Treat it all as one song. Mr. Beast is Mogwai's 5 studio album, and the latest. It was released on March 6th, 2006. I personally think that this album is pretty rockin. Lets take a look at the tracks to see what it's all about! 01. Auto Rock - I don't know what's about the piano, but it's awesome. The melody of the song just carries you away. I like the way the drums leave the song, with a bang! Opening songs on a album are very very important. This song pulled it off. 02. Glasgow Mega-Snake - this was one of those songs where it takes a couple listens to really enjoy it. It's a solid song. This song is also featured on Tony Hawks video game: Tony Hawk Project 8. 03. Acid Food - a very melodic song. One of the three songs that feature singing. The chorus is very easy going. Awesome song that you can just relax too. 04. Travel Is Dangerous - there is just something about the outro in this song that I like. The rest of this song is OK. 05. Team Handed - I really like the way this song builds up. It follows really nicely. Besides that not much really came out and pulled me into the song. 06. Friend Of The Night - give this song a couple listens. I didn't find much that I like at first, but the "chorus" is just spectacularly. I really like the way the keyboard fills in for the vocals. Half way through the song it really picks up. Very good song. 07. Emergency Trap - this song is very melodic, but it just doesn't have any bite in it. Although, it is a chiller song. 08. Folk Death 95 - is it just me, or do I hear someone faintly in the background saying "nana nana NA na". Whatever it is, it came in to the song smooth and added a lot of rhythm. I really like about 2 minutes into the song where it gets a little heaver. You can feel the feeling that they put into it. 09. I Chose Horses - this is there third song with vocals. It features Tetsuya Fukagawa on vocals, and Craig Armstrong on keyboards. Very interesting how Tetsuya chose to do the song in Japanese. Not really a good song in my opinion. Some guy talking with a band backing him. 10. We're No Here - the grungy guitar really caught me off guard when I first heard this. Nice song for an outro to the album. Although, this wouldn't be a song that I would pick out to listen too. I like a couple songs on this album. They have certainly stepped up there game on this one, and I will be awaiting there next album. Hell, even they say it's there best work sense there debut album "Young Team". If you have not giving this album a listen, I suggest you do. Although I totally respect the art behind the song "I Chose Horses", I did not really dig it. Some of the songs like "Emergency Trap" and "Team Handed" didn't really grab my attention that much. I'm going to give this category an 8 because I feel that so much more could have been done on this album. // 8

Lyrics: Mogwai does not have a permament singer, although sometimes Stuart does sing (like on the song "Acid Food"). Even then, it's very faint. It adds rhythm to the song, and makes it that much better. I really do not like how on "I Chose Horses" how they had someone talking in Japanese. It just for some reason did not go with the song. Some may argue thought that it makes it that much chiller. I feel that there singing is only one *minor* aspect to there work. They do not need like some bands to make stuff that sticks in there head. When they do sing, they sing like there an instrument. // 7

Overall Impression: A straight through listen and I'm pretty sure we can all agree this is a sick album. Defiantly great for when your in the mood for chillin'. I really like how the album starts out with a punch, then mellows out. The transition between those two extremes is amazing. If someone stole this album, I hope that they would enjoy it as much as I have. I would defiantly buy it again. // 8

More Mogwai reviews rating latest review
+ Rave Tapes 6.8 02/13/2014