The Harbinger Review

artist: molotov solution date: 05/24/2010 category: compact discs
molotov solution: The Harbinger
Released: Jun 8, 2009
Genre: Deathcore, groove metal, death metal, grindcore
Label:
Number Of Tracks: Metal Blade Records
 Lyrics: 8.5
 8.1
 9.2
The Harbinger Reviewed by: Perge, on april 26, 2010

Sound: First off, amazing production on this CD. Everything comes through extremely clear. Which with the deathcore sound these guys were going for is always important. Guitars sound crisp and crushing throughout. Cymbals could have been upped in the mix, but amazing drumming overall. Nick Arthur is a force to be reckoned with throughout, with amazing high, low, and mid scrams. For me, the best part of this release was that the sound strays from its natural niche enough to stay entertaining. While true to a deathcore sound, they go from groovy breakdowns to blastbeat ladden riffs in a spectacular way. The first breakdown of the CD grabs you at the end of Warlords and carries you into the next song, with each song having an attention grabbing intro. The intro to "Enslaved" gripped me and just yelled meshuggah. "Monolithic Apparatus" starts off with a simple drum beat, than goes into a spectacular groove metal riff, and is probably the most groove orientated song on the album. Overall a great deathcore album. Nothing shatteringly innovative, but everything done amazing. // 9

Lyrics: Lyrics...are alright. This band breaks the mold of most deathcore and basis their lyrics off of politics. Most of the songs being about how the middle class needs to rise up and stop letting the government use us. Nick makes the lyrics fit, but just barely, and without a lyric book you really don't notice all the broken sentences thrown between two completely different parts of the song. Nick manages to pull everything off, but it almost seems like the lyrics were written before everything else and just thrown on top. If it were't for his vocal skills then the lyrics and the way everything fits together might have been a real downer on this album. Singer a ten. Lyrics an eight. Placement of said lyrics...a five. // 7

Overall Impression: Take the balls of Emmure and give them the technical skills of Whitechapel, and you have the new Molotov Solution. Overall a great CD and I can't wait to see what they do in the future. In all honesty every song on this album has its hook that grabs you. Let it be a killer intro, a breakdown that just hits you in the chest, or an amazingly textured guitar interlude. I hope that they take the placement of the lyrics into more consideration next time, but overall a great CD. Alot of the newcomer bands in this genre have become stale and mediocre, but Molotov Solution give a refreshing breath into deathcore. Would I buy this CD again? Of course. No questions asked. // 9

The Harbinger Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 24, 2010

Sound: Brutal. Relentless. Non-Stop pounding. The Harbinger is one of the best albums i've heard in a long time. The production quality is excellent. The drums and guitars sound full, and in your face. I have Molotov Solution's first album as well, and The Harbinger is a step up in all directions. From track 1 all the way to track 10, the music keeps your attention. It would be hard not to pay attention to the pounding your ear drums are receiving. All in all this is an amazing album. You can hear how the musicians have matured. The riffs are heavier, leads are more creative, and the break downs more guttaral. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics on this album are very engaging. My favorite lyric from the whole album would have to be a line from "Living Proof" "We the people, Deserve a f^#$%&g explanation! We the people, Will not be exploited anymore!" The majority of lyrics on this album are relating to the government or religion. Molotov Solution is an Atheist band, which is clearly evident from the lyrics. They are all very powerful, and the singer gets his message across effectively. The singers screams and growls on this album are among the top in the genre. Piercing highs, and bellowing lows. A perfect example of his highs shines through at about 1:50 into the first track, Warlords. And the beauty of it all, is even live, he still has the same ferocity in his voice. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall, I was blown away when I heard this album. I would buy it again if something were to happen to it. Its that good. I can't really pick a favorite song on the album, as they are all pretty impressive to me. All I can say is pick it up, you won't be dissapointed. // 10

More Molotov Solution reviews rating latest review