Mastermind Review

monster magnet: Mastermind
Released: Oct 25, 2010
Genre: Stoner Rock, Psychedelic Rock
Label: Napalm Records
"Mastermind" is a great record in Monster Magnet's repertoire of music, holds up fairly well with "Dopes to Infinity" and "Superjudge."
review (1) user comments vote for this album:
Mastermind Reviewed by: Benjamin2112, on december 09, 2013

Sound: Monster Magnet is an amazing band from Red Bank, New Jersey that has had their fair share of ups and downs. Currently, singer/guitarist/creator Dave Wyndorf is the only remaining original member but he sure packs a helluva punch in his albums. Psychedelic, Spacey, Trippy, Rockin', Bad a-s, and Hallucinogenic are all terms that could be applied to Monster Magnet's sound. Already 7 albums, 2 EPs, and 21 years into the music scene they released this total rock record (except "Time Machine"). On this album in this album in particular they stick to regular rock band instruments such as: electric guitars/basses, drums, and vocals. I thought this album was great, had some very good production on it with everything being heard quite clearly. Nice blend of guitars that form a wall of sound being chucked into your face, and some real catchy tunes to top it off. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics are fairly regular and nothing too out of the ordinary for us fans of the band. Lots of surreal, sci-fi sounding words and terms are used to rhyme and work well with each other. Dave always seems to pull off the lyrics and music together good. I don't think the music calls for lyrics that are different from what's on the album either, I think Dave's done them justice. Some of my favorite lyrics in the album come from: "Back in the day, when I was paying for sleep, And I couldn't get much ground, well I was eating black planets whole, And I didn't hear that sound." - "Bored With Sorcery" (opening verse) "That's all fine if you have a time machine, I broke mine, can't you see? Now I'm here on the edge of the world, missing you, it's true, I'm missing you..." - "Time Machine" (chorus) "...And I just wanna drive my car, I don't know where I'm going but at least I ain't standing still..." - "Dig That Hole" (second verse) Dave is a great singer he's got a lot of soul in this record particularly I believe. Good vocals and melodies are thought out great in this record, nice voice. // 8

Overall Impression: I think "Mastermind" is a great record in Monster Magnet's repertoire of music, holds up fairly well with "Dopes to Infinity" and "Superjudge" I'd say. My favorite tracks from the album are: "Bored With Sorcery," "Dig That Hole," "The Titan Who Cried Like a Baby," "100 Million Miles," and "Time Machine." They are all awesome tunes for sure. I love the album's crisp and clear production throughout and how the songs gel together in a good way one after the other. I don't hate anything about it, there's nothing to hate really. If it was lost or stolen I'd definitely buy it again, wouldn't like not being able to crank up "Bored With Sorcery" in the car real loud. // 9

More Monster Magnet reviews rating latest review