Powertrip Review

monster magnet: Powertrip
Released: Jun 16, 1998
Genre: Stoner Metal, Hard Rock, Heavy Metal
Label: A&M
"Powertrip" is the fourth studio album by Monster Magnet, released in 1998. This album is more stoner metal/hard rock oriented than their previous albums, that sound more like space/psychedelic rock.
 8.5
 8.7
 8.3
review (1) 3 comments vote for this album:
Powertrip Reviewed by: iommi600, on february 17, 2012

Sound: "Powertrip" is the fourth studio album by Monster Magnet, released in 1998. This album is more stoner metal/hard rock oriented than their previous albums, like "Dopes To Infinity" and "Spine Of God", that sound more like space/psychedelic rock. This is also a turning point in the band's career due to its commercial success, achieving mainstream status to the band with the singles "Space Lord" and "Powertrip". For the band's sounding, there's not much to be said about. This album is probably a delight to you if you're a fan of hard rock, played simple and straight to the point. Some really nice riffs, wild, rock standard choruses and crazy solos, along with a simple, but solid rhythm session. It's so simple, and yet so great. Really awesome. // 9

Lyrics: Well, Dave Wyndorf, the band's leader, was really having a good time in Las Vegas back then, so you know what you can expect from this album when it comes to lyrics. Most of the lyrics talk about womanizing, sex and having fun, but there's also some exceptions, like "See You In Hell", which is a creepy, but funny story talking about when Dave Wyndorf met a hippie that had killed and buried his son and got really scared. And, talking about his vocals, it may not be one of the best voices around, but it totally fits in the bada-s rock and roll sounding of the band. It's really nice. // 8

Overall Impression: Well, enough said. Like I've said before, if you really enjoy rock and roll played simple and straight to the point, you probably like this album. And if you never listened to it, you will like it, almost for sure. I would point "Crop Circle" and "3rd Eye Landslide" as the best songs from this album, but honestly, this album is really great at all. The only songs that I find average here are "Your Lies Become You" and "Goliath And The Vampires", but I don't think that there's even a bad song here. I'm proud of having this classic among my collection, and I will sure thing buy it again if it gets lost or something. // 9

More Monster Magnet reviews rating latest review