Verisakeet Review

artist: moonsorrow date: 09/21/2007 category: compact discs
moonsorrow: Verisakeet
Release Date: 2000
Label: Spinefarm
Genres: Symphonic Black Metal, Scandinavian Metal, Death Metal/Black Metal, Doom Metal, Goth Metal
 8.4
 8.3
 8.5
review (1) 9 comments vote for this album:
Verisakeet Reviewed by: The Black Salts, on september 21, 2007

Sound: Moonsorrow are a black/folk/progressive metal band, and you'll find Verisakeet is high on the progressive end because songs range from eight to twenty minutes (seventy minute albums are noticeable). Musically: distortion-filled guitar riffs balanced with folk interludes; nature soundtrack intros and outros; ballad acoustic guitar sections (Kaiku). Verasikeet focuses more on the atmosphere of its sound rather than technical melodies and solos. However, it is still quality music. // 9

Lyrics: I heard Moonsorrow incorporated Norse Mythology into their lyrics, however there isn't much evidence of that in Verisakeet. There is a lot of nature imagery that points to a deeper meaning than what is read. Of course, seeing as how we're looking at folk metal, the lyrics match the music. The vocals are more black than anything, but there are clean sections; whether they are performed by other band members remains a mystery. The keyboards fit in a lot of background synth that sounds like an extra choir singing in the background, as well. The vocals are well done but Ville sometimes puts so much into his screams it sounds like he's dying. // 8

Overall Impression: I had trouble getting into every song but Karhunkynsi at first, but it all grows on you after a few listens, like Opeth. Karhunkynsi is obviously the catchiest, but the end drags on for so long listening to all that distortion tremolo picking and fast drumming gets on your nerves. Don't get that far into the song if you already have a headache. Along with Primea it makes for the heaviest song on the album. I also like how many of the songs have a constant acoustic guitar strumming in the background, which continues to play even when all other instruments have died down. I love that there's a lot going on in every song. Every musician complements the next. On the other hand Moonsorrow end most of their songs on this album with some bird chirping or eagle crying. That or sounds of wind blowing and water dripping in a cave. When a song ends, I don't feel like listening to something that isn't an instrument for another two minutes, I want to hear the next song. I like that Moonsorrow are progressive folk because it's an original style, but there is a difference between being progressive and not getting to the point because you're trying too hard to create an atmosphere with a whole bunch of eccentric outros. If this album were stolen or lost I might buy other Moonsorrow albums first to see what they are like. I have pretty high expectations. // 8

More Moonsorrow reviews rating latest review
+ Voimasta Ja Kunniasta 9.2 01/06/2012